Login

No more sweets by little_profiler



Title: Assurance
Fandom: Criminal Minds
Pairing: Morgan/Garcia
Prompt for 30 sweets: #28 What’s happening?
Rating: T
Disclaimer: Neither the show nor the characters belong to me, they belong to CBS. Nonetheless, I love to borrow them from time to time.
Summary: Part 10/? of the ‘No more sweets’-series. Fran takes care of things.
warnings: none


“Mom, really, you don’t have to…” Derek tried again. When she’d told him she wanted to come over and cook for them, he hadn’t thought it would be the next day for lunch and dinner.

At least, Fran and his sisters hadn’t grilled him and his Baby Girl too much “ until now. The evening wasn’t over yet, and Des and Sarah had planned on watching a movie with them. They sure as hell would find a way to drop the one or other question during the movie. Why did sisters have to be so curious, anyway?

“Derek, would you stop arguing with me and just set the table, please?” Fran interrupted him in a motherly tone. “When you’re done, you can get the girls. Dinner is ready.”

“Okay, okay,” Derek sighed. “You know, I hate it when you treat me like I’m still a ten-year-old boy.”

“I know,” Fran softly said, smiling at him.

Derek mumbled something not understandable, before disappearing in the living room.

“So, how long have you and my baby brother been an item?” he heard Sarah ask.

Derek’s sisters moved closer to Penelope, who blushed a deep shade of red. How was she supposed to explain the situation to them? “Well… I… you know… we’re not exactly… an item.”

Des and Sarah exchanged questioning looks.

“Well, I mean… it’s not like we…” Great, Penelope, keep making a fool of yourself! “I’m just saying… I don’t know if you could call us…”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, what was that?” Derek softly interrupted her as he entered the room. Standing behind her, he leaned down and softly moved her head so that she looked at him. “We totally, absolutely are an item.” As if to prove his words, he leaned farther down and captured her lips with his.
Des and Sarah giggled softly.

Penelope blushed, but smiled up at him. She couldn’t believe he didn’t mind kissing her right in front of his sisters. To be quite honest, she still couldn’t believe he was kissing her at all.

“And the rest is none of your business, so leave it alone,” Derek told his pouting sisters. “Now come on, dinner is ready!”

“So, you met at work, right?” Sarah started the questioning again shortly after they had started eating.

“I had just been recruited by the FBI when we first met,” Penelope told her.

“And was it love at first sight?” she pressed her.

Penelope blushed, but before she lost her bearings, Derek jumped in. “It definitely was, and our love grew over the past years. And yes, I should have made a move on Penelope a long time ago, I know that. And no, I don’t need your dating advice, nor do I want it.”

Des and Sarah just giggled “ once again, making Derek roll his eyes.

“When did you decide to make a move on her?” Des turned to her brother.

“You’re much worse than mom,” Derek grumbled, instead of answering the question.

Penelope smiled coyly, thankful for Derek avoiding the question. What was he supposed to tell them? That he’d made a move on her after he’d found out that she had stopped eating to look more attractive for him? That didn’t sound like a love story anyone wanted to hear.

“Thank you,” Fran said, raising an eyebrow. “I take that as a compliment.”

“You didn’t answer my question,” Des reminded her brother.

Penelope took a deep breath. Her first intention was to run away from this situation to avoid being embarrassed, but she reconsidered.

“Okay,” Derek said with a sigh. “I decided to make a move on Penelope when Sarah asked me to bring someone to her wedding. Why? Because I knew I wanted to bring someone who was special to me. And the longer I thought about it, the more I realized how special Penelope really is to me. I just… wanted to bring her to your wedding as my girlfriend. That’s why.”

“Aw,” Sarah said a little theatrically. “This is the cutest thing I’ve ever heard you say about anyone.”

“So, are you thinking of getting married, too?” Des asked curiously.

Derek turned to Penelope to look into her eyes. “Yes, we are.” Taking her hand in his, he added, “And before you ask, yes, we’re thinking about having children, too. Of course, you’ll be the first we call when it’s nearer the time.”

“Okay, girls,” Fran said, interrupting the talk. “You’ve grilled your brother and soon-to-be sister-in-law enough for today. Help me with the dishes!”

Grumbling a little, Des and Sarah did as they had been told, while Fran sent Derek and Penelope to the living room to prepare everything for their movie night.

“Thank you,” Penelope whispered, when she was sure Derek’s mother and sisters couldn’t hear them anymore.

He turned to frown at her. “For what?”

“Well…” Penelope blushed, and nervously put a strand of hair behind her ear. “For… not telling them the truth when they asked about… us.”

“Hey,” Derek said, wrapping his arms around her and making her look at him. “I did tell them the truth. I told you, I was trying to make a move on you before I found out about you not eating anymore. It’s true that I loved you long before this all happened. And I meant it when I said that I can imagine us getting married or having children one day.”

“I know,” she told him with a nod.

“But you don’t believe me?” Derek carefully asked.

“I do,” she assured him. “I know you wouldn’t lie to me.”

“But?” he softly pressed her.

“No but,” Penelope replied, and took a deep breath. “I know this is real, and I know you are serious. I just… need some time to realize this isn’t a dream.”

“I know what you mean.” Smiling, Derek leaned down to kiss her softly. “Can I do anything to assure you that this is reality?”

“Hm, this was a pretty good start,” she mumbled, tilting her head to demand another kiss.

Derek affirmed willingly, and leaned down to capture her lips again in a soft and lingering kiss. He kept his eyes closed for a moment, enjoying the sweet taste that was purely his Baby Girl. Then he opened his eyes to smile at her.

“You know, I really wish I could make all your worries disappear,” he told her, reaching out to gently brush her cheek with his thumb.

“I don’t think you can,” Penelope admitted, sighing. “Not just like that, anyway. And I really think it’s natural. I mean, any woman with a guy like you by her side would wonder if this was too good to be true, right?”

“I don’t know,” Derek mumbled, frowning at her. “I’m just a normal guy who happens to look quite nice.”

“Drop dead handsome is more like it,” Penelope corrected him.

Derek chuckled. “Okay, if you think. But still, what I wanted to tell you is that I don’t like it when you belittle yourself, just because you think you don’t look good enough for me. I don’t want you to change, because for me, you’re perfect.”

“No, I’m not,” she mumbled, blushing again.

“I mean it,” Derek told her, making her look at him again. “There’s not a thing I would want to change about you. You’re beautiful and sexy, inside and out. I love you, because despite everything we see day in and day out, you still manage to see the beauty in everything and everyone. You’re not jaded or callous; you’re still caring.”

“Please don’t tell me that true beauty comes from within,” Penelope mumbled.

“Why would I say something so corny?” Derek asked, frowning at her once more. “You are beautiful, period. I am crazy for you, and I am most definitely attracted to you. I love you, and I want you.”

Derek pulled her closer to him and leaned down to whisper in her ear. “As a matter of fact, I am unbearably hot for you. And I’m gonna ravish you right here and now if that helps you believe me.”

Penelope drew in a shaky breath. He wouldn’t do that. He couldn’t. Not when his mother and sisters were right next door. No, he wouldn’t do that. He hadn’t even tried so far. Of course, he had told her that he wanted her. But he had never really… tried anything.

Derek gently lifted her chin to make her look at him again. “Stop thinking I can’t want you. I do. I want you, and I’m gonna show you just how much when the time is right. I didn’t try anything so far, because I wanted to take things slow. I wanted to give you time, give us time to let our relationship grow, and I didn’t want you to get the impression that I just wanted to sleep with you.”

“I don’t like it when you read my mind,” Penelope mumbled, and then sighed.

“But sometimes I have to, when you don’t feel you can tell me what’s really going on,” he replied in a soft voice.

“I’m sorry, I just…” Penelope sighed. “There are things that aren’t easy to express.”

“I know,” he told her. “But you can trust me.”

“I do.” she assured him. “And I’m trying to stop keeping anything from you, but sometimes it’s not that easy. No matter how close the friendship, there are things you don’t share with your friends…”

“… but with your lovers,” he added, his tone somewhere between a question and a statement.

“Yeah,” she mumbled, blushing once more. As much as she liked the thought, she still couldn’t think of Derek as her lover.

“Uh, oh. Do I have to show you that this is real again?” he asked, grinning at her.

“Well, it can’t hurt.” Smiling, Penelope tilted her head again, pulling Derek down for another kiss.

“Hey there, turtle doves,” Sarah interrupted them with a giggle. “Weren’t you supposed to put the DVD into the player and take care of the popcorn?”

“Sorry, we got… carried away,” Derek answered with a grin.

“Just start the DVD,” Des told him. “We’ll have our dessert first “ and you can take care of the popcorn when we’re watching the second movie.”

Sighing, Derek rolled his eyes. A second movie. He wasn’t going to get some time alone with his favorite girl tonight.