Login

No more sweets by little_profiler



Title: Temptation
Fandom: Criminal Minds
Pairing: Morgan/Garcia
Prompt for 30 sweets: #14 Bite
Rating: K
Disclaimer: Neither the show nor the characters belong to me, they belong to CBS. Nonetheless, I love to borrow them from time to time.
Summary: Part 2/? of the ‘No more sweets’ series. Derek tries his best to lighten Penelope’s mood “ and he’s not being entirely altruistic.
warnings: none

Derek eyed her up once more as she picked at the salad she had ordered. “Okay”, he finally sighed, “spill it!”

Penelope looked up and raised both her eyebrows at him. “Spill what?”

“Come on, baby girl.” Derek frowned. She hardly ever kept anything from him. “I know that there’s something wrong with you. You haven’t taken one bite of the cake you bought and you’re not even eating your salad. So what was it that spoiled your appetite?”

“Nothing.” she lied. “My appetite is just fine I’m not hungry, that’s all.”

“Come on, baby girl, don’t lie to me!” Derek insisted. “Tell me what’s wrong with you!”

“Nothing, really.” she lied again letting her head drop and then sighed. He’d been so sweet and caring the whole day long and done his best to make sure she felt special today. Lying to him was so not the way to thank him. But telling him the truth was just too embarrassing. “It’s just not been my day.” she added silently.

“It’s your birthday, goddess.” Derek reached over the table to take her hand in his and squeezed it slightly making her look up at him again. “If this day isn’t your day then which other day will be?”

All she could do was give him a rather sad smile.

“Well”, Derek gave her his most irresistible smirk, stood up and gently pulled her to her feet, “it seems that I’ll have to try my best to make it your day then.”

“Derek, you know I don’t…” but before Penelope could say anything more she was drawn onto the dance floor and dangerously close to his muscular body.

“I know you don’t dance in public.” Derek was so close to her that Penelope could feel his hot breath against her neck and… had he just actually sniffed her hair?! “I just thought that you might make an exception “ for me.”

“You think you’re irresistible, don’t you?!” Penelope gasped more than said. And God was he right about it! No matter how hard she tried she couldn’t keep herself from leaning into his embrace and letting him gently sway her across the dance floor.

“Well, I must be since you’re dancing with me.” Derek grinned.

“I’m not dancing.” Penelope mumbled into his chest as she closed her eyes happily. God, this man knew how to make you forget about bitchy girls and their nasty comments.

“You’re swaying rhythmically to the music.” he argued. “Most people would call that dancing.”

“I’m not most people.” she insisted.

“Stop arguing with me, baby girl!” he softly scolded. “I want you to close your eyes, forget about everything bad that happened today or the whole year and just enjoy the moment.” he whispered into her ear. “Do you think you can do that for me?”

“You’re not making it too hard.” she mumbled into his neck and wrapped her arms closer around him. It wasn’t exactly the first time she danced in public. And she’d stopped doing that years ago for a very good reason. But it was the first time she danced with Derek and it felt like a dream coming true. So she honestly didn’t care about the looks she was sure they were receiving.

And what did it matter?! For at least one hour Penelope was in heaven, so close to the sexiest man on earth “ at least in her opinion “ that she could actually feel his muscles move under his skin while they danced. She felt so warm and sheltered in his arms and for a few moments the world outside with all its skinny girls and nasty comments stopped existing.

And then his voice suddenly brought her back to earth, so soft and warm that it made her feel completely safe, as if the rest of the world couldn’t harm her no matter how hard it tried. It was strange how his voice always had this effect on her.

“Well, goddess, I hope our dancing made you hungry.” Derek said in a low voice while they were softly swaying to the last chords of Percy Sledge’s ‘When a man loves a woman’.

“Hmm… not really.” she replied not yet willing to end their embrace nor their soft dancing.

“That’s a shame considering the fact that your favorite dessert is waiting for you.” Derek teased and winked at her as he pulled her back towards the table causing her to make a sound of complaint she couldn’t suppress when her body lost the contact to his.

Penelope bit her lip when she sat back on the table and looked down at the plate with the tempting sweet sitting in front of her. It wasn’t that she had a weak will or that a simple sweet could make her forget all about her diet. But some sweets were the one thing “ tiramisu something completely different.

When she didn’t reach out for the fork waiting next to the promised sweet Derek shoved a big piece of the tiramisu into his own mouth and mumbled: “Come on, baby cakes, try it! It’s great!”

“I’m… really not hungry.” she tried to convince herself. Seriously, how should she resist now that the sweet smell of Amaretto filled her nose?!

But he could see the struggle written all over her face. Grinning Derek took her fork and pointed at the tiramisu: “You know, I’m gonna feed you if I have to.”

And things were getting better. Penelope sighed. How was she supposed to resist any longer?!

“Come on, just one bite!” he tried again, his voice so seductive that Penelope felt the last bit of resistance “ and self-discipline “ crumble beneath it, as he held the fork with a piece of tiramisu right in front of her face.

Okay, that was it! If Derek and that tiramisu were working together trying to subvert her good intentions, fine! It was her birthday after all!

Derek smiled as he watched Penelope take the bite of tiramisu he had offered and then swallowed as she closed her eyes and made a sound she definitely shouldn’t make in public.

“This is the best tiramisu I ever had.” she sighed happily. When she opened her eyes and saw the expression on his face she had to fight hard not to blush too deeply “ wishing that her make-up could cover it somehow. She really should watch her reactions!

“What, have you never seen someone enjoying their food before?!” she mumbled and took the fork from him to eat the rest of her dessert.

Derek shook his head slightly in a desperate attempt to clear it of the images her reaction had evoked. “Not to that extent.” he admitted in a low voice as he made a mental note to always have some tiramisu at home from now on “ just in case.

They enjoyed the rest of their dessert in silence and Penelope tried her best to suppress whatever sounds wanted to escape her throat. And since it was already after ten and they were supposed to be at work the next day they decided to call it a night.

Much to Penelope’s surprise Derek insisted on taking her home even though she desperately tried to convince him that she could as well take a cab. Was he actually up to something? And if so what would that be?

“Good night, handsome.” Penelope smiled at him as she turned from the door to her apartment she had just unlocked towards him: “And thanks for taking me home.”

Much unlike Derek he just stood there, looking at the floor for a moment, took a deep breath and then raised his head to smile at her.

“Um… Do you want to come in and make sure that there’s no one in there?” she teased in an attempt to lighten up the mood.

“No, no… I’m… sure you’re gonna be fine.” he smiled.

Okay, is it just me or is he nervous? Why on earth would he be?! Maybe… No, Penelope, DO NOT even begin to think that!

“Good night, goddess.” Derek finally said and took a step forward to pull her into his arms.

Penelope inhaled his scent deeply as she let her head fall against his chest. What did it matter what his intentions were if they provided her with another embrace?!

“Baby girl, there’s something I need to ask you.” Derek finally spilled the beans.

“Whatever it is, the answer is yes.” she sighed.

“I’m serious, sweetness.” Derek insisted. “This is important to me.”

She frowned and unwillingly raised her head to look up at him.

Derek held her eyes while he explained: “My sister Sarah is going to marry her long-time boyfriend. And I’m supposed to bring someone with me...”

Penelope looked at him waiting for the exact question he wanted to ask her after his voice had trailed off. When he didn’t say anything in addition and his words began to sink in it suddenly hit her and her eyes widened almost in shock: “Wait, you want to bring ME with you?”

He just slowly nodded his head not entirely sure whether he was asking too much from her. This was special, for his family, for his sister and therefore for him. And he wanted to share it with someone special “ and he honestly didn’t want to go to his sister’s wedding with someone he would introduce to his family that day if that person wasn’t Penelope.

“But… why?” she whispered. When she saw the slight disappointment evident on his face she quickly added: “I mean, I’m honored and totally and completely speechless but… why would you want to go there with me? It’s not like you have to beg for a date…”

“This is a special day.” Derek replied honestly. “And I want to share this with someone who is special to me. I don’t want to go there with any girl. I mean, you will meet my family and it’s a really big deal for them, especially for my mother. I want to be sure that they meet someone who really means something to me.”

Penelope’s eyes filled with tears. These were the most beautiful words anyone had ever said to her. She wanted to answer something equally meaningful but all she managed to get past her lips was a voiceless ‘Oh’. Not exactly the most eloquent answer.

“So… Is that a yes?” Derek carefully asked.

“Most definitely!” she nodded and raised up to kiss his cheek.

“Great.” he sighed with relief and leaned in to kiss her forehead. “Thanks, baby girl. Oh, and my family wants to meet you beforehand so we’re gonna have dinner with them in about a week. I hope that’s not a problem.”

Penelope swallowed. “No, no problem.” she lied and watched as he happily bowed out before she stepped into her apartment and closed the door behind her.

Sighing she leaned against the closed door and ran a hand over her face. “I’m so screwed!”