Login

No more sweets by little_profiler



Title: Dress up
Fandom: Criminal Minds
Pairing: Morgan/Garcia
Prompt for 30 sweets: #7 Dreams
Rating: K
Disclaimer: Neither the show nor the characters belong to me, they belong to CBS. Nonetheless, I love to borrow them from time to time.
Summary: Part 3/? of the ‘No more sweets’ series.
warnings: none

Penelope sighed as she examined herself in the mirror. Derek wanted to take her out to meet his family in only three days and her diet was going… well, anything but well. She hadn’t even lost four pounds. It was frustrating.

Why on earth did Derek have to ask her anyways?! It wasn’t like he didn’t know whom to take with him to something like his sister’s wedding. Right, he’d said he wanted to take someone with him who was important to him.

And I am important to him.

As much as she’d always wanted him to say that, it had only put her under more pressure. Seriously, what would his family think of him if he introduced them to someone like her? She wasn’t like any of the girls Derek usually met. She was so not his type. She wasn’t beautiful or thin or even pretty. Hell, she wasn’t even African-American!

Her eyes fell upon the dress on her bed, a size fourteen, and she felt tears springing to her eyes. There was no way on Earth she’d ever get anywhere near the sizes of the girls Derek usually met. Why did he want to take her of all girls with him? Did he really think that was what she wanted?!

This is EXACTLY what you want, stupid! Oh, how she wanted to be the special someone in Derek’s life. And not just his very special best friend. There was a bonding between them that went far beyond friendship “ maybe even beyond love. But while she was spending entire days dreaming about Derek and wishing that some day there would be more between them than friendship, she knew that she just wasn’t the type of girl a man like Derek would dream about.

She just wasn’t meant to be happy, and least of all with him. She’d accepted that a long time ago. But why did he always have to evoke this little piece of hope in her?! And why did it have to be a wedding? The worst thing about it was the throwing of the bridal bouquet.

Seriously, what was that good for anyways? Apart from reminding her that she’d never be a bride. Even if she was lucky enough to find a guy who actually wanted her “ which was very unlikely “ she wouldn’t marry him. There was only one man on earth who she’d give her word.

A knock on her door interrupted her thoughts and Penelope quickly wiped off her face. When she answered the door, she was surprised to see a delivery man with a pretty huge parcel standing in front of her. She hadn’t ordered anything.

“Delivery for Miss Penelope Garcia.” he said and held the parcel out to her.

“I… I didn’t order anything,” she replied, confused and refusing to accept the delivery.

“As far as I know, someone sent it to your address.” The man shrugged. “I’m just fulfilling orders. Would you sign here?”

Somebody sent her something? Who? And what’s more, what?

Absentmindedly, Penelope took the chart from the man and signed at the bottom right. Still wondering who on earth might send her anything, she took the parcel to her bedroom, where she placed it on the bed to open it.

She almost felt like when she’d been younger and they’d opened presents on Christmas. A strange anticipation made her heart beat faster as she tore the packing apart to reveal whatever was inside.

Gasping slightly, Penelope let the contents drop onto her bed. It was a dress. A beautiful, purple skirt and a corsage in the same color “ and it so was her color. It must have been Derek who had sent this dress. But why?

As if he could read her thoughts, Penelope’s phone rang showing Derek’s ID.

“Do you like it?” he asked immediately after she’d picked up. She could hear the smirk on his face.

“Derek, what…”

“You were complaining to JJ today that you had nothing to wear for the wedding,” he explained. “And I thought I might try and solve your little problem.”

“Derek, you shouldn’t have…”

“So, you don’t like it?” he guessed, sounding disappointed and a bit guilty.

“No, no, I do,” Penelope quickly assured him. “It’s… it’s great.” Taking a look at the tag Penelope realized that he had even guessed her size right. She just wasn’t sure whether this was a good sign.

“But?” Derek pushed her.

She sighed. “You just shouldn’t have done that.”

“Try it on!” he encouraged her, sounding somehow excited now.

“I don’t know…” Penelope mumbled.

“But I do.” he put her off. “I’ll give you ten minutes.”

She frowned at her phone before asking, “For what?”

“To put it on.” She could now hear the grin that was probably all over his face. “Then I’ll be there to see whether I made a good choice.”

“Derek…” she tried to protest once more.

“Ten minutes, Baby Girl,” he replied and hung up.

Penelope sighed again, got up and did as she was told. Five minutes later, she examined herself in the mirror again. This dress was something she’d never in a million years dared to buy. Low cut and very figure-hugging, she’d never thought she could wear something like that. But she had to admit that it indeed suited her. More than that. She actually looked really great “ really… sexy.

Of course, if she’d had two or three sizes less, she’d look even better. Penelope sighed. Yeah, the dress looked good. But she was anything but sexy “ at least what society thought of as sexy. She just had too damn much on her hips, not to mention the rest of her body. And she definitely shouldn’t think of herself as sexy. Derek wouldn’t think of her that way.

There was just no way in the world that she and Derek would ever be more than best friends. It was more than she could ask for, after all. But she had to remind herself of that fact each and every day so that she didn’t read too much in his behavior, his looks or his flirting.

And she needed to remind herself of that again when she opened the door and he was handing her flowers and a box of her favorite chocolate before examining her in the dress he’d chosen and plastering her with compliments. Why did this man have to be so damn perfect?!