Login

No more sweets by little_profiler



Title: Epiphany
Fandom: Criminal Minds
Pairing: Morgan/Garcia
Prompt for 30 sweets: #6 Huh?; Are you kidding?
Rating: T, just to be sure
Disclaimer: Neither the show nor the characters belong to me, they belong to CBS. Nonetheless, I love to borrow them from time to time.
Summary: Part 6/? of the ‘No more sweets’ series.
warnings: none


Derek was pacing the waiting room while Fran unsuccessfully tried to calm him down. “Almost an hour, Mom,” he mumbled, “and we still haven’t heard anything.”

“I know,” Fran sighed. It really was frustrating, but Derek pacing the room the whole time was driving her crazy.

“Penelope Garcia?” an older man asked, and looked at Derek and his mother.

“That’s me,” Derek quickly replied, and stepped closer.

The doctor frowned. “Are you family?”

“She doesn’t have any family,” Derek replied. “I’m… I think I’m closest to a family you can get.”

The frown on the man’s forehead became deeper as he considered his options. Then he mumbled, “Follow me, please.”

“Doctor, what’s wrong with Penelope?” Derek demanded to know as he followed the man down the corridor.

He stopped in front of a door, turned around, and sighed. “Apparently, Miss Garcia hasn’t eaten properly in several days. She’s suffering from a lack of energy supply. Her low blood sugar level certainly caused the collapse.”

“What does that mean, she hasn’t eaten properly?” Derek frowned at the older man. “You mean like skipping lunch or something?”

“I rather think she hasn’t eaten anything lately,” the doctor replied.

Derek’s eyes widened. “Why would she do that?”

“I hoped you could help us with that,” the man shrugged. “She’s not talking to us. Maybe she’ll talk to you. If she doesn’t start eating again, she’ll eventually die.”

Derek nodded. He hesitated for a moment before he pushed the door open and stepped into the small hospital room.

Penelope was sitting upright on the hospital bed, staring at her hands that were entwined in her lap. She didn’t look up when Derek stepped closer.

Carefully, he sat down on the side of her bed, bracing both arms on either side of her hips. “Baby?”

“I’m sorry,” Penelope whispered. “I didn’t mean to spoil this evening. I know it was important to you.”

“You are important to me, Baby Girl,” he told her. “That’s why I’m worried about you. The doctor told me you collapsed because your blood sugar level was too low.”

She didn’t say anything in return.

“Baby, when was the last time you ate anything?”

She smiled slightly as she remembered. “The Tiramisu.”

“On your birthday?!” Derek burst out. “That was almost two weeks ago.”

Again, she refused to say anything, but Derek could see her lower lip tremble. Something was terribly wrong, and he cursed himself for not having noticed.

Gently, he put a finger under her chin and made her look at him. “Sweetness, why did you stop eating?”

She kept refusing to talk to him, and tried to avoid his eyes.

“Talk to me, girl!” Derek demanded a little forcefully.

“I… wanted to be beautiful,” she whispered.

Derek frowned at her. “You don’t think you are?” As far as he could remember, that had never been a problem “ or she’d hidden it very well. Maybe he just hadn’t noticed.

“Look at me,” she mumbled, pointing at her figure on the bed.
´
“You haven’t always thought that way, have you? Something happened, something that made you think you’re not beautiful, am I right?” he softly asked. He cupped her cheek with one hand to make her look at him again. “Whatever it was, there’s something I want you to know. You don’t need to worry about your looks, because to me, you are beautiful.”

Penelope just snorted.

Frowning, Derek stated, “You think I’m lying.”

She bit her lip, but again refused to say anything.

Derek sighed. “Baby, why don’t you tell me what happened?”

She didn’t want to tell him. She just wanted to forget about those stupid girls and what they’d said about her. She also knew Derek wouldn’t just let this go. She couldn’t hold back a sob, and when Derek leaned forward to catch her in his arms, she burst into tears.

Derek had never felt so lost than in that moment. He wanted to tell Penelope that it was going to be all right, but he didn’t even know what it was. Why wouldn’t she talk to him? Why hadn’t he noticed something was wrong? He should have been able to help her.

“Come on, Sweetness. Talk to me, please,” he whispered into her ear.

Sniffling, Penelope started to tell him about the diet she’d put herself on. Then she talked about the beautiful but mean girls, and how she had wanted to be beautiful to leave a good impression on his family.

“Did you really believe those idiots?” Derek carefully asked. “Since when do you care so much about what other people say?”

“I don’t, it’s just…” Penelope started, and then looked down again. She obviously felt ashamed talking about it.

“You don’t believe that I think you’re beautiful.” From the look on her face, he could tell he was approaching the heart of the matter. “You thought my family wouldn’t like you, because they wouldn’t think you’re beautiful. Or do you think I don’t like you?”

“Derek, please, stop profiling me!” she snorted.

“Sorry, Sweetness, but I need to do that,” he told her. “I can’t let you kill yourself because of something some stupid girls said, or because of something they made you believe. You’re wrong, Baby Girl, about everything.”

She raised her eyes at him, not sure she entirely understood what he was trying to tell her.

“Why do you think I asked you to go with me to my sister’s wedding?” he smiled at her. “Why do you think I wanted you to meet my family beforehand?”

“I… I don’t know,” she mumbled.

“Because I love you, silly girl.” Derek leaned his forehead against hers and let his hand rest on her neck. “Why else would I want you to meet my family?”

“But…” Penelope started, looking up into his eyes, searching for an answer.

“No buts, Penelope.” Derek locked eyes with her, hoping she could see he was serious. “I love you, and I wanted to officially introduce you to my family. I wanted the wedding to be our first date, and I wanted to tell you tonight.”

He leaned closer, and Penelope drew in a sharp breath. Smiling, Derek whispered, “And I’m gonna kiss you now, because I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time already.”

“Oh,” Penelope panted and held her breath. Derek was so close, she could feel the heat radiating from his body, and she could smell the scent of him. God, he smelled so good, and he was so close. Penelope was sure she was about to faint.

Their lips met, carefully, softly, and it felt like an electric shock running through her whole body. She willingly kissed him back, and Derek moaned as he pulled her closer. The kiss soon became more passionate.

When they had to break the kiss for air, Derek once again leaned his forehead against hers as they both tried to calm their breathing.

“Wow,” Penelope panted.

“Yeah,” he agreed. “That was the best first kiss I ever shared with anyone.”

“Really?” she giggled. “Out of your mouth, that’s a real compliment, I guess.”

“Hey, hey. Behave, girl!” he scolded. Then he became serious again. “I love you, Penelope, just the way you are. I don’t want you to change, because this is who I met, and this is who I fell in love with. To me, you’re perfect.”

“Thank you,” she sniffled.

“Besides, I would never want you to stop eating Tiramisu, because it’s the most exciting sight I’ve ever seen.” He waggled his eyebrows at her. “Not to mention these sounds you were making.”

Penelope giggled.

“Now, come on, let me take you home, where I’ll deliver a nice dinner. Don’t even think about arguing with me! There’s some Tiramisu in my fridge waiting for you.” Derek jumped up from the bed and pulled his girl with him.

“Are you going to feed me again?” she asked playfully.

“There’s nothing in the world that could stop me from doing so,” he replied in a low voice, and leaned down to capture her lips with his once more.

“Hmm… I have a feeling my mouth will be busy with a lot of other things than eating tonight,” she giggled.

Derek growled and leaned down to nibble her neck.

“You’re my favorite sweet treat anyway,” she whispered as her eyes fluttered shut, and she gave in to the sensations Derek’s touch made her feel.

“No way, Goddess, sorry,” Derek mumbled against her skin. “Tonight, I’m gonna make you eat first. I don’t want you to end up in the hospital again.”

Much to Penelope’s discomfort, he stopped the things his mouth had been doing and pulled her towards the door.

“Too bad,” Penelope sighed, and followed him out of the room.

They met Fran and Derek’s sisters in the hallway.

“You’ve been released?” Fran asked, the worry obvious in her voice. “Are you okay?”

Penelope swallowed. How was she supposed to tell Derek’s family what had really happened.

“Yeah,” Derek answered for her, and protectively put his arm around her waist. “She just worked too much and slept too little. I’m gonna take her home and make sure she gets some rest.”

“That sounds like a good idea,” Fran agreed. It didn’t escape her notice that Derek had finally dared to make a move on her. She smiled brightly at the two of them. “We can repeat our dinner when you’re better.”

“I’m… I’m sorry I spoiled this evening,” Penelope mumbled.

“Nonsense. You care about yourself now and get some rest!” Fran told her in a motherly tone, and then hugged Penelope goodbye. “I’ll come by tomorrow and get the two of you something nice for lunch. Derek’s not the best cook, you know.”

Derek rolled his eyes. “Mom!”