Ad infinitum by jovanangel87
Summary: Set a few days after the scene with John and Evangeline at the hospital. John finally says whats on his mind and inhis heart. But is it too late?
Categories: Canon Characters: None
Genres: Romance, comedy, Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: No Word count: 60500 Read: 32023 Published: 07/13/2005 Updated: 04/30/2006

1. What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted? by jovanangel87

2. You Can't Change That by jovanangel87

3. You, Me and He by jovanangel87

4. WAR by jovanangel87

5. Oh What A Night by jovanangel87

6. Vangie Don't Take No Mess by jovanangel87

7. To Hard To Handle by jovanangel87

8. Chapter 8: Confessions by jovanangel87

9. Chapter 9: You Can Ring My Bell by jovanangel87

10. Isn't She Lovely by jovanangel87

11. Take These Chains From My Heart by jovanangel87

12. Girl Talk? Part I by jovanangel87

13. "Girl Talk" part II by jovanangel87

14. Movie Night by jovanangel87

15. Clockers by jovanangel87

16. Hook, Line And Sinker by jovanangel87

17. Court DAte by jovanangel87

18. Temptations by jovanangel87

19. Mother To Son by jovanangel87

20. The Spooks Come Out by jovanangel87

21. Masquerade by jovanangel87

22. Clue by jovanangel87

23. Under The Tuscan Sun by jovanangel87

24. Mirror, Mirror by jovanangel87

25. Coffee Klatsch by jovanangel87

26. Secrets Revealed by jovanangel87

27. Stay Safe by jovanangel87

28. Resuce Mission by jovanangel87

29. At Last by jovanangel87

What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted? by jovanangel87
Chapter 1
(John’s POV)


...Call Evangeline man. Get rid of the baggage. Tell her everything. You know maybe if you finally get that weight off your back maybe you’ll finally be free...

I stare at the gold letters and numbers in front of me. 35 H. I run my fingers lightly over them before knocking on the door. It’s amazing that I even got up here in the first place, because Evangeline left specific instructions that I wasn’t to be allowed inside. I just convinced the doorman that I was here on police business. Now that I think about it, if I could get in here with such a lame story, this building probably needs a new doorman.

The door swings open and I’m staring right into the eyes of Lisa Williamson. I can’t help but shiver a little at the cold stare she gives me.

“Good evening Mrs. Williamson. May I speak to Evangeline please?”

“Lieutenant McBain, Coo- Evangeline does not want to see you. And especially not at this ungodly hour.”

“I’m sorry Mrs. Williamson. I thought that you would be asleep by now, but Evangeline is usually awake at this time and it’s very important that I speak to her.”

Mrs. Williamson sighs and puts her hands on her hips. “She doesn’t want to speak to you, Lieutenant.”

Evangeline appears at the door behind her mother and says, “That’s enough Mom. John, come in.”

I move into the apartment and attempt to make eye contact with Evangeline, but her mother steps in front of her.

“Mom please don’t do that. No disrespect, but id I needed or wanted a spokesperson, I would hire one. John and I do need to talk and I have some towels in the laundry room downstairs. Do you think that you could go get them for me please, and I leave John and I alone for a few minutes?”

Mrs. Williamson faces Evangeline and says, “Baby, I am not going to leave you alone with this man.”

“Mom. This man saved my life, and for that you should be grateful and you should thank him for it.”

“Fine.” She turns to face me again. “I’ll leave and let you two talk. Consider it my thank you. But if I come back and find my child crying, so help you God...”

I smile slightly and nod and she storms out of the apartment, slamming the door. Evangeline and I stare at each other for a few seconds, until I break the silence by saying, “I can see where you get it from.”

“Get what?”

“The temper.”

Evangeline rolls her eyes. “John, I was actually just getting into bed when you came, so can you please get to the point?”

“It’s about what you said at the hospital.”

“You mean about the case? Is there a new lead?”

“No, it’s about what you said about us, about me making a final choice.”

“I don’t want to talk about this right now.”

“And right now, I don’t care! We always talk about what you want, when you want, when it comes to our relationship. Now we’re going to talk when I want to.”

Evangeline gapes at me, and even I’m inclined to be a little shocked. And that’s when the attitude kicks in. Evangeline puts her hands on her hips, draws herself up to her full height and steps up to an inch away from me.

“See now, this has gone too far already. I’m not going to stand here and let you verbally manhandle me in my own home. And if you think I will, you’ve got another think coming!”

“Sorry. I just want to get my chance to speak and everyone seems determined not to let me have it.”

“I already told you that I don’t want to talk about this.”

“Good. I don’t want you to talk. Just listen.”

Evangeline’s eyes glitter dangerously, but she doesn’t say anything. She walks away from me and sits on the sofa. I would like nothing more than to be able to sit next to her, but I don’t think I could handle Evangeline recoiling from me again. SO instead I go sit in one of the chairs by the fire place.

“John are you going to talk or just sit here all night?”

“You said something to me in the hospital that really struck a nerve. You said that I wavered between you and Natalie and that you never came first for me. And you also said that I saved Natalie first because she has always needed saving more than you and I need that sort of dependency in my life. Right before I came into that hospital room, your mother said that I never cared for you and judging from the way you reacted, I’m inclined to believe that you believe her. So let me tell you how I truly feel. That way no one will have to speculate.

“When I first met Caitlyn, I thought that I was on top of the world, invincible. I fell for her because she was just such an amazing person. I loved her more than I ever thought was humanly possible. And when she was killed, I thought that I would never, ever love any one again. I haven’t told my mother or Michael that I loved them since then. I just felt like maybe if I never said I love you to any one, I wouldn’t ever lose my loved ones to someone else. And it worked until I met you.”

Evangeline looks at me like I’ve just lost my mind. I don’t blame her, since I’m sort of rambling on and not getting to the point.

“The thing is, when I realized that I was in love with you, every time I tried to tell you, something stopped me. I almost told you on my birthday, but you fell asleep and every time after that I chickened out. . But I tried, in so many ways to show you. I know that it wasn’t enough, but I couldn’t explain to you why I couldn’t say the words because that would mean explaining it to myself. And when I realized that I you were kidnapped, Evangeline you have to know that you have to know that I almost lost it. But when I got to the basketball court, I had to do my job. So I stopped thinking with my heart and I saved Natalie first, NOT because I chose her, but because she would have died if I hadn’t. Even though I ‘m upset that Natalie is missing, I don’t know what I would have done if it were you. And even if I told myself that I don’t love you 24 times a day, 168 times a week and 8, 736,000,000 times in a million years“ yes I did the math, it could never be true. So don’t you DARE believe that I don’t care about you or that I don’t love you.”

Before Evangeline can react, Mrs. Williamson comes bursting into the apartment. “Okay Lieutenant, your few minutes are up, so if you would kindly leave...”

I glance at Evangeline, but her eyes are blank and reveal no emotions. She seems to have reverted into a shell of herself. I look back at Mrs. Williamson and say, “It’s okay. I said everything that I wanted to say. Goodnight.”

I go out the door and am halfway down the hall when I hear Evangeline call out, “John wait.”

I stop and a few minutes later, Evangeline comes tearing out of her apartment, searching for me.

“Evangeline, I’m right here.”

“We’re not done. You can’t just drop something like this on me and leave.”

“Yeah well, you seemed a little shell-shocked and your mother seems to be about ready to kill me. I didn’t want to overstay my welcome.”

“I need to talk to you. Come back inside. Please.”

She gives me a pleading look and I nod. We go back into the apartment, but to my surprise her mother is no where in sight.

“Where’s your mom?”

“She got pissed with me so she’s locked up in the guest room. Of her own volition, I assure you. Let’s go into my room to talk, it’s the only place my mother can’t overhear our conversation.”

I give her a dubious look, but follow her just the same. Evangeline sits cross legged on the bed and I sit on the chair in front of her vanity.

“John I never doubted that you care about me, or that you love me. Okay, maybe for a minute or two, but still.”

“If you never doubted my feelings for you, why are we broken up? Why are the words so important to you?”

Evangeline takes a deep breath and closes her eyes tightly. “I used to think that the worst day of my life was the day my father died. You and him are a lot alike. Strong, quiet, caring. The last time I could remember him saying I love you to me, I was ten. And the next time, he was lying on his death bed. But I never doubted that he loved me, because he had to, he was my father. But you John, you don’t have to love me.”

“Yes I do.”

:No. That’s what you think. The point is you showed me that you love me, but you never said the words. And I was fine with it at the time because I realized that there was probably a reason why you couldn’t say it. So imagine my surprise and pain when right in the middle of Llanview Hospital’s ER, Natalie Vega announces to your brother that you said you loved her. And John that wasn’t even what hurt the most. What really hurt, what really tore my heart to pieces was that I couldn’t march over there and tell Natalie that what she just said was impossible because you love me. I should have been able to defend our relationship, and I couldn’t.”

A lone tear squeezes out of Evangeline’s closed eyes and I reach to wipe it off of her cheek, but something stops me. My hand just hovers in mid-air for a few seconds before I pull it back.

“Evangeline, I know that I hurt you. I can’t take that back though I wish I could. And I don’t expect you to ever forgive me, but I can hope and pray that you someday will. You...us, it was all I wanted and needed and I would do anything to have it back and make it work this time.”

Evangeline watches me as I pull a key ring out of my pocket and separate two keys from the rest.

“What are you doing John?”

“When you gave these back to me, you justifiably walked out without a second glance. I’m giving them back to you. If you ever forgive me, use them to let yourself back in. And if you never do, well...”

I place the keys in Evangeline’s palm and stand.

“Bye Evangeline.”

She nods once as I leave the room, and I let myself out of her apartment.

I sit in my car silently for a few minutes before starting the ignition and driving to the police station. I try for a few hours to do some work, but I quickly give up and go home. I unlock the door to find a dark, empty apartment. I immediately go into the bathroom and get into the shower. When I go back into my bedroom, Evangeline is sitting on my bed, smiling that smile that makes my heart skip three beats and my thoughts turn to nonsense when I see it.

“What are you doing here?”

“Ready for some heavy lifting John?”



To be continued.......
You Can't Change That by jovanangel87
Chapter 2: You Can’t Change That

(Evangeline’s POV)

“Nora, I swear to God, if you don’t get off of my case about John....”

I trail off, not knowing what I can possibly do to shut her up. And obviously she knows that because she stands in front of my desk with her hands on her hips, smirking and willing me with her eyes to finish my threat.

“Evangeline, all I’m saying is that you obviously still love John. You miss him and despite your many protests, you want him back. And he will come running if you would only tell him that.”

“Nora, I can’t keep going over this. Day in and day out, you, my mother and Michael are going on and on about John. Whether or not we should get back together. All of you are driving me more nuts that John ever has or ever will.”

“Aha! You do want him back! And you can’t say that you don’t because I’ve been to your apartment. His clothes are still in the closet, his toothbrush still in the bathroom and all of the pictures of you and him are turned face up.”

“Nora what were you doing in my closet?”

“You know what, Evangeline? The next time you need help deciding what to wear to court, ask your mother, since you’re so suspicious of me.”

She feigns being hurt, but I know that she isn’t serious. She just thinks that if she lets me think that I’ve hurt her feelings, I’ll admit that I want John back to appease her. I miss being able to see John whenever I want, but we both realized that it would be safer for both of us if no one knew that we were back together. I would be safe from the killer, who is obviously trying to get to John and John would be safe from my mother. She tends to go nuts sometimes and her reaction to John gets more and more violent each time they see each other.

“Nora, just let me finish typing this page and then we can go, okay? There’s a bag of DumDums in the bottom drawer of the filing cabinet, you can have some if you want.”

Just like I thought she would, Nora heads over to the filing cabinet and begins to rummage through the bottom drawer. That’s where I normally keep my snacks, the healthier ones like granola bars and rice cakes at the top, the unhealthy ones like lollipops and Doritos at the bottom. Whenever I’m working too hard on a case to stop to order and eat lunch, I dig something out of the drawer to snack on until I can take a break.

Nora looks up from the jumbo sized bag of lollipops and grins. “Don’t think I’m not onto you. As soon as I get out of my candy euphoria, I’m going to start nagging again. Eventually you’ll get annoyed and yell something out to shut me up. And with the way that you yell, John will definitely hear it wherever he is. See I’ve got this down to a science.”

I nod distractedly as I save the file that I’m working on and power down the system. I stand and grab my purse and say to Nora, “Come on. You can have the candy, since I know you probably had no plans to relinquish it.”

She gets up and we walk out of my office. Nora goes to call the elevator while I lock the door. Normally I would take the stairs, but they don’t have security cameras and I promised John that I would be extra careful.

Twenty minutes later, Nora and I are comfortable on her living room chair, with a bowl of Cheetos between us and Coyote Ugly in the DVD player. It’s our bimonthly Girls Night In, and we always start with Coyote Ugly because it’s our favourite movie. You think we’d get tired of it, but we love it more and more every time we watch it.

Ten minutes into the movie, the doorbell rings. While Nora answers it, she sends me to get some drinks from the kitchen. I put a few cans of ginger ale on a tray and bring them out to the living room, where I’m surprised to see Michael and John. John is blindfolded and is holding on to the collar of Michael shirt. I just know that when John finds out where he is, Michael is going to be in trouble. Before I can say anything, John says to Michael, “If you had to drop something off for Nora, why didn’t you just say that instead of being so secretive? And why do I have to wear this blindfold if that’s the case?”

“Well you still have to get your surprise and you need the blindfold for that.”

I glance at Nora, but she conveniently can’t meet my gaze. And the whole game is up. “I can not believe that you two ambushed us!”

As soon as John hears my voice, he pulls off the blindfold and simultaneously tightens his grip on Michael’s collar, making it uncomfortable for him to breathe.

“Michael, you didn’t plan this, did you? Because you would never be so stupid, right?”

“Hey man, you were miserable. Hate me all you want, but I did this for you.”

I turn to Nora, about to ream her out, but she moves closer to Michael. “I’m with Michael on this one. And let me tell you both, you aren’t leaving until you make up with each other. And no amount of bullying, threats and physical harm is going to make us change our minds.”

“What about if we just kill you both,” I mutter. John bites his lip to keep to smiling and I have to admit that even though I should be mad at Nora and Michael, I’m not. I get an opportunity to see John and I haven’t seen him in a whole week. And they really do mean well.

Nora and Michael exchange pleased glances and Nora says, “We’ll leave you two alone to talk. And don’t even think about trying to sneak out the front door, the burglar alarm is on, and just for this special occasion I changed the code to one Evangeline doesn’t know.”

Chuckling, they go into the kitchen, leaving John and I in the living room. As soon as they’re out of sight, John leans towards me and kisses me lightly, then pulls me into a a hug.

“I’ve wanted to do that all week,” he whispers into my hair.

“I know. I’ve missed you. And I guess it showed more that it did before we got back together.”

We whisper to each other for a while, catching up with one another. But each time Michael or Nora come out to check on us, we pretend to ignore each other. After about two hours of this, they get fed up and come back into the living room.

“Fine. You guys want to act like babies, we’ll treat you like them. But you will talk and you will make up, if it means I have to have the both of you in here for a week. And if it comes down to that, neither of you will be allowed to wash your hair.”

Now I know she must be getting desperate. Both she and Michael try to coax us into the sofa so we’re sitting next to one another, but we stay where we are, sitting right across from each other. So they take the sofa instead.

“Evangeline, do you still love John?”

I glare at Nora, but suddenly a light bulb goes off in my head and I decide to play along.

“Maybe.” All three of them stare at me, shocked, and I know that I’m not getting out of this unless I tell the truth, something I normally always do. “Okay, yes.”

“That’s better. Michael your turn.”

He takes a deep breath and gulps, and for a second, I feel sorry for him. No matter how this turns out, John is still going to kill him or at least very seriously hurt him.

“Okay. John. Do you love Evangeline?”

I glance sharply at John, because I know that he’s about to tell the full truth and I want him to give them an evasive answer. We’ll play around with their minds for a little while this way. He must have understood that look because he says, “I care about her very much and she’s the only woman I want.”

Nora and Michael start yelling at him and while it is funny, it’s not fair for John to have to take all the heat.

“You guys, it’s okay. I’ll settle for that, because I know that’s all that I’m going to get right now.”
Michael comes to stand in front of me. “No you won’t Evangeline. John loves you, we all know that, including you. But you need and deserve the words, so don’t settle for that. He can obviously manage to be miserable for a little while longer, because you shouldn’t take him back until he admits it. And he’s going to admit it tonight because we all have to go to work tomorrow.”

Meanwhile, Nora is insulting John’s intelligence in every language she possibly can and that’s a lot.

“Juro al dios que usted debe ser como el asno más grande del gato del
mundo. “

She’s not fluent in many languages, but she can swear and insult people in almost every world language. This goes on for a few minutes more until I can’t take it anymore. John just looks so funny trying to figure out what she’s saying and I start laughing. Everyone stops talking and after a little while, John is laughing too.

Nora and Michael both look like they’re about to cry, they’re so upset. “Evangeline what in the world is so funny?”

“John and I got together 2 weeks ago. And the two of you went through so much trouble to trick us into talking to each other so we would get back together.”:

“No you didn’t. You would have told me if you two had gotten back together, right?”

I look at John and we both stop smiling. “Nora, we didn’t tell anyone for a good reason. If the killer thinks that John and I are broken up, he’ll have no reason to target me anymore and I’ll probably be safer.”

“You two weren’t together when the killer kidnapped you,” Michael interjects.

“We know that Michael, but this is our best bet right now. We would have told you two as soon as we could, so don’t think that we were going behind your backs.”

Nora smiles faintly. “I should be mad at both of you, especially Evangeline, but I’m just too happy for you both. Congratulations.”

I reach over to hug her. “Thank you Nora. We’re happy for us both too.”

Michael comes over to hug me also, a wide grin on his face. “Welcome back E. We missed you. Maybe not as much as Johnny, but still a lot.”

I know that I probably have the hugest grin on my face, judging from the way that everyone is looking at me, but at least I’m not alone. We all sit chatting for a while before Nora looks at her watch and says, “Okay, John and Michael, it’s been nice having you, but now that our mission is complete, you guys are going to have to go. Evangeline and I have a lot of girl-talk to catch up on, and seeing as it is Girls Night In....”

John laughs. “Alright Nora, we’ll go away so you and Evangeline can chat. Michael still owes me dinner anyway.”

Michael says his good-byes and goes outside, and after telling John goodnight, Nora excuses herself to give us some privacy.

“So this was an eventful night.”

John smiles. “Yeah it was. I’m a little scared of what Nora and Michael might have done if we weren’t already together and we refused to talk to each other.”

“Scared? I was terrified. Not being able to wash my hair for a week?”

“I’m sure it’s not that bad, but we don’t have to worry about it. So what’s the plan for the next clandestine meeting?”

“I’ve decided that I don’t want this to be a secret anymore.”


John’s hands reach out to circle my waist and pull me closer to him. “You decided, huh?”

“Yeah, I did. But considering who we just told, we shouldn’t have to worry about that. Seriously though, my mother can’t rule my life anymore and for once, I’m going to do what makes me happy even if it doesn’t make her happy. And as for the killer... I refuse to let him get his own way. He wants to orchestrate your life, make you miserable. You can’t let him do that.”

“I agree. So you wanna take this thing back out the closet?”

I grin, thinking back to the night a year ago that I said almost those exact words. I never thought that hearing them would make me so happy.

“Definitely.”

He grins and dips his head to kiss me softly. My eyes slide closed involuntarily and I get that familiar fluttering feeling in my chest. When John surrenders my lips, I sigh and then breath in deeply, taking in his scent to hold onto for the rest of the night. Not that I can forget. He winks and squeezes me tightly before going out the door and I turn to go back into the living room where Nora is waiting with a grin.

“Please, please, please Evangeline, don’t start getting all starry-eyed and moony. You’ll keep drifting off if you do, and then I’ll never get the full scoop.”

“And here I was thinking that you just wanted my undivided attention, when all you really want is gossip.”

“Well that is all you’re good for tonight. You and I both know that there is no way you’ll be able to hold a coherent, intelligent conversation tonight.”

I hit her lightly and take my seat on the couch next to her. Laughing, Nora restarts the movie and we settle down for a night of gossip, Cheetos, Coyote Ugly and laughter.
You, Me and He by jovanangel87
Chapter Three: You, Me and He


...If you don’t put an end to this we are never going to see Natalie alive again”


Bo and I turn at the sound of the office door opening and I immediately go on edge seeing Evangeline and Nora storm in.

“What’s wrong Evangeline? Is it another note?”

She glances at Nora, who hands a clear sandwich bag to Bo. “She found it inside of her apartment, by the front door.”

“Were you at home when it happened or was it there when you got home?”

“I walked in the door, turned on the lights, reset my alarm and slipped off my shoes, and that’s when I noticed it on the floor.”

I walk over to Bo and we look at the note, trying to decide how to proceed with this new lead. I head outside into the squad room to give orders. When everyone has dispersed, I turn to face Evangeline who’s standing in the doorway of Bo’s office staring wide-eyed and playing nervously with the strap of her hand bag.

“Don’t worry Evangeline, we’re going to get this bastard. And after we find out where Natalie is, he will pay.”

“John, I want to go.”

“No. No way! This guy is a lunatic, anything can happen. I don’t want you anywhere near Capricorn when this is all going down.”

She shakes her head adamantly. “I can take care of myself John. I want to look this bastard in the face. And maybe I can get him to tell us where Natalie is.”

“Evangeline, you’re one of the bravest pepole I’ve ever known. You don’t need to prove that to me. I’ll be able to do my job much better if I know you’re here safe with Bo and Nora. So just, please stay here. For me?”

She heaves a resigned sigh, but nods. “Fine.”

I nod and give her hand a quick squeeze before leaving the squad room. When the task force and I get to Capricorn, we advance slowly and carefully, trying to make as little noise as possible.

I can sense movement behind one of the dumpsters and yell, “Stand and put your hands where I can see them! Put your hands where I can see them!”

To my complete and utter surprise, an attractive young woman stands with her hands raised and says, “I didn’t do anything!”

Despite the nagging feeling at the back of my head telling me that we’ve got the wrong person, being a cop has taught me to arrest first and ask questions later. So I read her her rights adn arrest her.

For someone who was just arrested, this suspect is eerily quiet. She makes no more protests of innocence other than her initial one. Which leads me to two conclusions. Either she’s really guilty or she’s really innocent.

We take her back to the station and attempt to process her, but surprise, surprise. She won’t tell us her name. All of the holding cells are full of drunk, underage college students since we just busted an out-of-control rave, so we put her in one of the rooms that we use for questioning.

“You know, you’re going to have to talk sooner or later.”

“I’m not saying anything unless I have a lawyer.”

“Not even your name?”

“That can be incriminating evidence, can’t it?”

I roll my eyes. She is having too much fun and yet... not enough. This is not the behaviour of a sociopathic serial killer.

“Maybe.”

“Alright then. Who’s the best defense attorney in this town?”

“Evangeline Williamson.” I glance at Cerutti, who shrugs sheepishly.

She looks at the both of us and smiles slightly. “Figures. Well, I want her.”

And you’re about to get her. I can hear a commotion going on outside the door, and I would bet a million bucks that Evnageline is trying to convince someone out there that seeing this suspect isn’t going to make her re-live being kidnapped. I go outside quickly and try to diffuse the situation.

“John. Thank God. Maybe you can talk some sense into Superwoman here.”

“What’s going on?”

“I want to see that suspect. I can help and we all know it.”

Evangeline glares at me, daring me with her eyes to tell her not do this. But I’m not stupid. She would flatten me with a left hook to the jaw.

“Well, our suspect just asked for you, so if you think you’re up to it...”

Evangeline starts walking and I give Nora and apologetic look before leading Evangeline back to the interrogation room.

“Alright you slimeball! What do you want from me?”

The suspect stands and turns to face Evangeline with a smile. “Now Sis, what did Mom tell you about calling me names?

Cerutti and I can only gape. Alone they look nothing alike, but together, you can’t miss the resemblance.

“This is your sister?”

“Oh yeah. My dead sister.”

Cerutti asks the question I’m almost too afraid to ask myself. “She’s supposed to be dead?”

“No! Nothing like that. She’s dead as in I’m going to kill her dead right here. Layla, do you have any idea how much trouble you’ve caused?”

“Me? You’re the one that over reacted as usual. Imagine my horror and surprise when I realize that the man pointing a gun at me was none other than your former steady and someone else’s night in shining armour.”

Evangeline and I flinch at this and Cerutti smartly slips out of the room.

“Layla, you knew what had been going on. Why would you have slipped a note under my door when last week I told you about the incident at my office?”

“Vange, I’m sorry. I didn’t think.”

Evangeline snorts lightly. “You don’t do very much of that, do you?”

Layla’s mouth drops open and if she’s anything like her sister, a word bomb is about to drop.

“Look. If you were thinking, you would have realized that serial killers don’t leave around hadwritten notes since that is incriminating evidence. Hello! And you call yourself a lawyer. I wanted to surprise you and none of this would have happened if people listened.” That last part is obviously directed at me.

“Even guilty serial killers say that they didn’t do anything when they get arrested. If you told us your name, you wouldn’t have gotten arrested at all.”

“I’m sorry. I really am. I was just trying to figure out a way to get out of this mess. I couldn’t make too much of a commotion because I didn’t want Antonio to come out.”

Evangeline and I look at her in confusion. “How do you know Antonio?”

“He’s my new boss. How do you know him?”

“He’s a close friend. Layla, you got a job? Where are you going to stay?”

She gives Evangeline a charming smile and tries her best to look innocent. “With my big sister.”

One would think that as tough as Evangeline is, and as mad as she just was, she wouldn’t fall for it. But she does. “Fine. You can sleep in the guest room. Where’s your luggage?”

“In your lobby. Why can’t I sleep with you? It’ll be like old times, when you were in college and you used to let me stay in your dorm on long weekends.”

Evangeline laughs. “You can’t sleep with me because the last time you did, you kicked me in your sleep and left a bruise in my ribs that didn’t disappear for a month. And there’s an extra room. Use it or lose it.”

“Okay. Hey, what’s the deal with super cop anyway? And why is he still here?”

I laugh and Evangeline blushes. “Layla, please don’t be rude. He got enough from Mom to last a life time.”

“Don’t worry about it. I don’t mind. I’m still here because I was hoping to be formally introduced to Evangeline’s sister who she talks about all the time. I didn’t mean to intrude.”

“Layla Williamson,” she says with a grin, holding out her hand, which I shake. “John McBain.”

Still grasping my hand, she looks from me to Evangeline and back again. “Wait a minute.... y’all don’t fool me! Vange you totally lied to Mom, you did get back together with John. I can’t wait to tell her!”

Evangeline grabs her sister, who’s bouncing slightly between us. “Now why do you always have to create a big scandal about everything. You tell Mom this, and I’ll tell her you got arrested and I’ll let her get all worked up before handing the phone to you.”

“I can’t stand you!”

“I am so glad to have you here Lay, even if I didn’t show it at first.”

“Me too. We’re going to have so much fun! Hey, do you have food in your fridge? Because I could eat a cow right now.”

Is she kidding. “Oh, I’m sorry. Allow me to introduce you. Layla, this is Evangeline Williamson. Evangeline meet Layla.”

Layla and I look at the indignant expression on Evangeline’s face and start to laugh.

“You two aren’t funny in the slightest.”

“Sorry Evangeline. But this is payback. All of those jokes with Michael are going to come back to haunt you.”

Evangeline covers her mouth as she yawns and stretches. “Alright, it is way past my bed time. Come on Layla, let’s get you settled.”

“John, it’s been great,” Layla says, turning to me with a funny look.

“I’m sure I’ll see you again very soon.”

She leaves the room, nudging Evangeline on her way out the door.

“So that’s my baby sister Layla.”

“She’s funny. Confusing but funny.”

“Hah. You know she’s probably watching through the window and we have absolutely no proof.”

“Well then I’ll keep it chaste. I’ll talk to you later, okay? Go home and get some rest.”

I kiss her softly and then she goes towards the door. “Night John.”

“Night Evangeline.”

She walks out the door, leaving me to ponder, ‘Is Llanview ready for the Williamson sisters?’
WAR by jovanangel87
Chapter 4: WAR

(Evangeline’s POV)

I grin at Layla, who’s sitting across from me in my living room. With her face scrubbed free of makeup, her hair in two plaits and wearing a pair of Spongebob Squarepants boxer shorts and a yellow tank top, she looks like the little sister that I remember. It’s like she just grew into this amazingly beautiful woman overnight. Not that it stops her from wearing pajamas with cartoon characters on them. I really shouldn’t talk, seeing as how my favourite pair of pajamas aren’t pastel coloured and silky, but cotton Tweety and Sylvestor shorty PJ’s. John still hasn’t stopped teasing me about it, and I suspect he never will.

“You are so lucky you’re my sister.”

“Not that I don’t think so, but why?”

I laugh. “If you weren’t, I think John would have wanted to kill you for that stunt you pulled. As it is, he may still want to do so.”

“What? You don’t think it was my charm that encouraged him to see past my discrepancy?”

She grins back at me, sticking out her tongue, which is a very odd shade of...brown. That’s because Layla has a sweet tooth worst than mine, and her thing is Jolly Ranchers. Particularly the green apple and cherry ones.

“Like I said, you’re lucky to be my sister.”

“Vangie, I missed you so much. You wouldn’t even believe it.”

“I offered to come visit many times. You wouldn’t let me, and you wouldn’t come to visit in Llanview.”

“Yeah well, I wanted to do it on my own. If I saw you, I’d want to go home, and that is not an option. Williamson’s don’t quit.”

“No we don’t Ms. Mighty Mouse, but we do accept help occasionally. And we’re allowed to crave human companionship once in a while.”

Layla studies me for a moment. “Oh. Is that how you ended up falling in love with John? Don’t take this the wrong way or anything, but he isn’t the kind of person that you normally date.”

“I know. We don’t seem compatible, but our differences are what make us work. Falling in love was a pleasant surprise. Well... it wasn’t always pleasant, but for the most part it has been.”

“I spent maybe twenty minutes with the both of you in the same room, and I could see that you were happy and in love and so is John. Why can’t Mom see?”

I ask myself that all the time. It hurts me that my mother can’t accept that I love John for who he is and not despite of.

“I think she sees it and just doesn’t want the same thing to happen to me and John that happened to her and Daddy.”

“Yeah. You know, I think we’ve done enough catching up for tonight. I’m about to fall out.”

“Me too. Come on, let me help you make up your bed.”

“Evangeline, we have to go to the grocery store tomorrow. You’re out of cereal.”

I look at her in confusion. “No I’m not. I just bought two boxes of Cheerios and one of Honey Bunches of Oats.”

“Yeah. Like I said, you’re out of cereal. The good stuff anyway.”

I laugh and hug her. “I’m glad you decided to come visit.”

We get up and go into the guest room, and after I help make the bed, I get Layla all settled. As I’m about to leave she looks up at me and says, “Stay. Please, Evangeline? Just for tonight and I won’t kick. I promise.”

“Alright. But you kick me and I’m going to kick your butt right off the bed. And you know I’ll do it too, so don’t dare me.”

I climb into the bed next to Layla, reliving memories of sharing the same bed when we spent summers at Granny Williamson’s with the rest of our cousins. We used to stay up late and Granny would tell us ghost stories that would scare us right to sleep.

I roll over onto my stomach and listen to Layla’s slow, even breathing and I know she’s fast asleep and decide to follow her lead....

Crash!

I sit up straight in the bed, terrified at the continuing screeches, booms and crash coming from outside the slightly open bedroom door. I look around for a few seconds, trying to figure out where I am. I glance down at Layla, who’s still fast asleep and shake my head. That girl can sleep through an earthquake and normally it’s sort of funny, but today it’s a little scary.

I lay back down and struggle to catch my breath, ignoring the steady rise of bile in my throat. I cannot throw up, I will not cry and I can not make a sound. I’m not letting my fear get my baby sister killed. Obviously whoever it is doesn’t know that anyone’s in the apartment...the door to the guest bedroom is off a hallway and looks like a secluded closet.

After a while the crashes stop and I reach over and wake Layla. Or try to. Shaking, whispering her name, nudging, pinching... nothing works. Finally I whisper, “Layla, if you make me have to slap you to wake up, so help me, I will do it.”

She opens one eye crankily. “What is your problem? I haven’t even gotten an hour of sleep yet. I’m a bit jet lagged you know.”

“Get up and put your bra back on. And some pants while you’re at it. In about five minutes, my apartment is going to be over run with CSU members.”

Layla looks at me like I’ve gone crazy. I don’t blame her.

I get out of the bed and go to the closet, rummaging around. I finally find the piece of iron pipe that I knew was in there and emerge from the room, with Layla right behind me. I stand in the entrance to my living room, dumbstruck, but when I hear a noise behind me, I spin with the pipe, ready to beam it at someone. But a pair of strong hands grab my arms before I can swing.

“Evangeline, it’s me.”

Well, damn. If it was the killer, I wouldn’t have stood a chance.

“John. Someone broke into my apartment. While I was sleeping. And Layla was right here with me.”

He doesn’t get a chance to answer, because by then a few CSU members have begun looking around for clues and one calls us over. “Lieutenant, Ms. Williamson, I think you should see this.”

Upon closer inspection, I see exactly what has him so worried. On one of my end tables are a few pictures of John and I together, in frames. The glass has been smashed out of all of them and in my face is crossed out and tears are drawn on John’s face in all of those pictures. Which leads me to wonder how long the killer was here before I wake up. Because it is obviously the Killer.

I go into my bedroom and find that trashed as well. The vase that sits on my bedside table normally holding whatever white flowers are in season is smashed. I sink down to my knees, regardless of the glass shards probably in the carpet and burst into tears. I can’t help it, that vase meant so much to me. It was priceless, made specially for me by my father. He made it once while he was on some retreat. Layla got a decorated mirror. He always said that his girls deserved to look at beauty always. I’ve kept that vase filled with flowers near my bedside since I was 12, and when he died, I started putting white flowers in the vase, so I could be reminded of the beauty of my father’s life. And now it’s all gone.

John tries to comfort me and Layla kneels on my other side and holds my hand.

“I woke up. I hear him, I could have knocked him out and tied him up when I had the chance. If I did, now that I’ve seen this, I would’ve killed him. In cold blood.”

“You would have ended up dead, and you knew that. Don’t let him get to you Evangeline. He wants to see us weakened.”

Well if he wants to see me weakened, he’s certainly succeeded. Being kidnapped and tied to burn at the stake was bad enough. But now this guy is taunting us, showing us how much smarter than us he is. And bad enough that I was here, but Layla? If anything happened to my little sister, I would never be able to live with myself.

“Layla, you have to go back to L.A., it’s not safe here.”

“If it’s not safe for me, then it’s not safe for you. Either we stay in Llanview together, or we both go back to L.A.”

I sigh. There is no getting through to Layla when she’s pulling this Two Musketeer stuff. And if I keep arguing with her, John’s going to try and convince me to go to LA for the time being. Like the killer doesn’t know how to get on a plane and fly across the country.

“You know what? For tonight, we can just go to the Palace.”

Layla looks down. “There aren’t any rooms at the Palace. I checked because I wasn’t sure if you would want me to stay with you.”

“Okay. We can stay at the Bayberry Inn.”

“No rooms there either.”

“Stay with me.” I turn to John with an odd look. I had almost forgotten he was here.

“At the Angel Square Hotel?”

“See now I’m insulted. You and Layla can stay in my room and I’ll stay across the hall in Michael’s room. That way I can keep an eye on both of you.”

I push my hair out of my face. “I’m too tired to argue with the both of you at once. Fine.”

I stand and go to my closet and pull out the few outfits still on their hangers and grab a pair of jeans and a T-shirt from off the floor before heading into the bathroom to change. This is way beyond embarrassing. Not only has half the LPD seen me in my nightgown, but my room is strewn with every article of my clothing. And yes, that includes my underwear. And they’re going to have to rifle through everything to look for clues.

And just that thought alone makes me mad enough to forget my embarrassment. As a matter of fact, why should I be embarrassed because some sicko creep decided to completely invade my privacy? It’s like John said, this is what he wants from us, so this is what he isn’t going to get.

I emerge from the bathroom and say, “Okay, can we get going now? I would really like to go to sleep. I have a lot of work to do tomorrow.”

“Why... you know what? Now is not the time. Let me just get my bag and we can go.”

I look at John, who’s wearing a baffled expression. “What?”

“When we get in the car, ask Layla. I can’t ask you without being a hypocrite.”

But as soon as we get in the car, Layla stretches out in the back seat and falls asleep. I turn to John. “Looks like your ticket out just conked out, so you’re going to have to talk.”

I watch as John’s hands clinch on the steering wheel and he tightens his jaw. “I really don’t think right now is a good time for this conversation.”

“John don’t do that.”

“Ok fine. It’s just that, you bottle up your emotions so easily. I know that I do it too, but still. This is hard on all of us, but especially you. I know that you’re feeling terror at the thought that the Killer can come back again. And I know that even your shadow frightens you sometimes. You haven’t said anything, but I watch you. I know that you feel guilty that you got away and Natalie didn’t. And now you feel guilty because the Killer ransacked your apartment and your sister was with you. Keeping it all to yourself is going to eat you alive.”

“One could say the same for you. John, I’m fine.”

“Evangeline, ten minutes ago, you were on your hands and knees crying, heartbroken about that vase being broken. I think that you have the right to be upset, but apparently you don’t. You went to change your clothes and within a minute, you were calm and collected, like nothing ever happened. I want to be able to be there for you like you are for me and so does Layla, I’m sure, but you keep shutting us out. Trying to prove that you can do it all on your own.”

“I’m not Natalie, John. I don’t need you to dry my tears.”

“Forget I said anything then.”

I can feel the beginnings of a really bad migraine coming on. My eyes hurt, my head feels like it’s going to explode and I feel nauseous. I rest my hand on John’s leg, but when he starts to pull away, I take my hand off.

I glance back at Layla’s sleeping form and smile slightly before turning back to John. “You know if Layla weren’t here, I would totally make out with you in the back seat of your car.”

John glances at me, then starts to laugh. “Thanks for sharing.”

“I’m sorry. I knew that saying that would hurt you and it’s not fair to make digs about Natalie when we don’t even know if she’s alive.”

“It’s okay. We’re all going to be okay.”

“Are we really, John?”

He reaches over with his free hand and caresses the back of my hand with his thumb. I watch him silently as he nods. “Yes. In the end, we’ll all be okay. We’ve got each other and ...”

“Natalie’s got us and half of Llanview.” I smile as John pulls into his parking space and then turn back to Layla. “Layla, come on. We’re here.”

John gets out of the car to get our bags and Layla opens her eyes and flashes me a mischievous grin. “You want me to leave so you two can make out in the backseat?”

My mouth drops open, but before I can respond, she gets out of the car and races up the sidewalk to help John with the bags. I walk slightly behind them, watching them joke around and grin, glad to see that they’re getting along. It’s great to know that at least one person in my family thinks that John is a great person and good for me. Come to think of it, Layla was the one person in my family that thought that Dennis was wrong for me.

When we get inside, we make a quick introduction to Roxy, because as nosy as she is, she might start speculating and that wouldn’t be a good thing. John opens the door to his room, and the sight that greets us is shocking to say the least. It looks almost as bad as my place does, except nothing here is smashed and his pictures are intact. Almost as if reading my mind, John says, “It wasn’t the killer. It was Michael.”

He bangs on Michael’s door loudly and after a few seconds, it opens. “Dude, I was asleep. What’s the problem? Oh, hey E. What’s up?”

“Nothing much.”

Layla sighs and stretches her hand out. “Hi. You must be the Michael I’ve heard so much about. I’m Layla Williamson, Evangeline’s sister.”

He shakes. “Michael McBain. Sooo... Evangeline talks about me? More than my brother?”

I smile and John rolls his eyes.

“No, not more than John, but apparently, you’re like adopted into my family. Which is great, because I don’t have a big brother.”

“And I don’t have a little sister. Hey, does this mean I get to boss you around?”

“Nope. But you can try if you want. That’s always fun.”

John grabs Michael’s shirt and drags him across the hall. “Excuse me Layla. Come here, Doctor Dimwit.”

“Hey John, you think you could lighten up a little? Just enough so I can breathe?”

“What did you do to my room? Evangeline nearly had a heart attack when the door opened.”

“I did not!”

“See, John. She did not. I was just looking for your chrome tie. You said I could borrow it.”

“I also said don’t make a mess. How do you ransack a room looking for one measly little tie?”

“It wasn’t where you said it was. I found it in one of the desk drawers. I was in a rush, so I guess I did leave a bit of a mess.”

“There’s nothing on the bed, so is it okay if I go to sleep now?”

John nods and she pulls off her sneakers, goes into the bathroom and returns a couple of seconds later with just her tank top and sleep shorts on. She drapes her jeans on the chair beside the bed, tells every one goodnight and crawls under the sheets. Within seconds, her chest is rising and falling steadily. I have always envied Layla’s ability to just let go and relax. It’s going to take a while before I can get back to sleep tonight, if I get back to sleep.

“You know, I think I’m going to get ready for bed too.”

I retreat into the bathroom, going through all the motions again. Washing my face, brushing my teeth, changing into my night clothes. By the time I come back out, I can tell John has caught Michael up on the current situation.

“I got a call while you were in the bathroom. I’ve got to go down to the station for a few hours, Michael’s going to stay with you until I come back.”

“You want Michael to watch us sleep until you come back?”

“He can sleep if he wants. It’s just that, he’s a lighter sleeper than you and I’ll feel better if someone is with you and Layla. There’s a guard downstairs patrolling the lobby, but it never hurts to be cautious. Okay?”

“Okay.”

“I’ll be back soon. I love you.”

I kiss him lightly. “I love you too.” I smile as he goes out the door. It’s still taking me a while to get used to saying ‘I love you too’ instead of just plain ‘I love you’.

“Look’s like it’s just you and me kid.”

I sit on the couch next to him and turn on the TV. “Looks that way.”

We watch in silence for a few minutes. “Hey, do you think John will let me out of cleaning back up his room if I stay up with you?”

I laugh.

“Yeah. I didn’t think so either, but it was worth a shot.”

“‘Night Michael.”

“‘Night E.”
Oh What A Night by jovanangel87
Chapter 5: Oh What A Night

(John’s POV)


A knock sounds at the door and I hurriedly pull on my boot before getting up and answering. The door swings open to reveal a very confused Nigel.

“Good morning Lieutenant. I knocked across the hall, but a young lady answered and told me I could find you in here.”

“That must have been Evangeline’s younger sister Layla. She came into town last night.

“Oh, I see. Ms. Williamson is actually why I’m here. I heard about the break-in last night.”

Does anything in Llanview ever stay under wraps for long?

“Oh?”

“I brought her some croissants. I know she likes them and well, there’s nothing I appreciate more after a hard night than a fresh baked croissant.”

I look at Nigel incredulously before taking the bag. It’s touching how many people in Llanview really care about Evangeline.

“Thank you Nigel. I’m sure Evangeline will love them.”

He nods and retreats down the hall and down the stairs and I go across the hall and knock on the door.

“What? Oh, it’s you,” Layla says, opening the door and stepping back so I can come in.

“My don’t you seem happy to see me.”

“Your friend woke me up.”

“Sorry. Did you sleep okay?”

“You mean other than Vangie’s snoring,” she asks, her face perfectly straight. “Fine.”

I laugh. “Good. Where’s Evangeline?”

“Shower. She’s been in there forever.”

“You really let her into the shower before you? There’s not going to be much hot water left.”

“So basically Vange has been making you take a lot of cold showers?”

I smile, amused and Layla actually blushes. She stays silent until Evangeline comes out of the bathroom and immediately picks up on our uncomfortable silence.

“Layla what did you say?”

“Nothing really. At least nothing that I didn’t deserve. I walked right into it.”

Layla looks at me gratefully and Evangeline looks at me suspiciously. “If you say so. What are you doing here John?”

“I live here, remember? Nigel brought croissants for you. He left them in my care, so I brought them over.”

“Thanks.” Evangeline dips back into the bathroom and emerges a few minutes later with her wet hair pulled back into an elaborate knot so tight, there’s not trace of the curls that previously framed her face.

“Vange if you pulled your hair any tighter, it would have some out in clumps,” Layla observes.

“I’m taking it out in a few minutes, when it’s dry. I can’t blow dry my hair because John dropped my dryer in a sink full of water.”

Layla raises her eyebrows at me. “Do I want to know how that happened?”

“You ever watch baseball with your sister?”

“Yeah.”

“She yelled, I dropped it. I got you a new one, Evangeline, it’s under the sink.”

She goes back in the bathroom and after a few seconds, she speaks over the din of the dryer.

“John did you talk to Roxy about the hot water? It’s barely warm.”

“Unlike you, Vange,” I tease. She sticks her head out the door and glares. “Unlike you, I have no desire to be boiled alive in the shower.”

“Evangeline, you used all the hot water? Thanks for thinking of me.”

I turn to Layla. “You can use the shower across the hall. I’m sure Michael won’t mind. Can you do me a favour?”

“What is it?”
“Knock over a few things while you’re over there.”

“Layla, it’s a joke. Don’t do it. Just hurry up or I’m leaving you to explore Llanview by yourself. Better yet, I’ll leave you with John.”

I smile wryly to myself as Layla gets the key from me and hurries out. Evangeline comes out the bathroom with her hair flowing down the back of her robe. Well, actually my robe.

“John can you toss me my bag please? It’s right behind you.”

I pick the bag up and bring it over to her. She smiles her thanks and I watch her rifle through the contents for a few minutes.

“Evangeline?”

“Hmmm?”

“I’m assigning an armed guard to you. And one to Layla.”

She smiles. “I thought you’d say that. I’m not going to fight you, but I can’t say the same for Layla.”

I raise an incredulous eyebrow. “Even after last night.”

“Are you kidding me? Lalya once got into a fight with an 11 year old. She was 6. Layla has no fear.”

“Who won?”

“Layla. I don’t know how, but she won. You explain to her that if she ditches her guard, she’ll be in trouble. She’ll listen to you.”

“But you’re her sister.”

“Who does Michael listen to more often, me or you?”

“Fine.”

By the time Layla comes back, ready for a day on the town in jeans and an orange halter top. Evangeline is fully dressed in a similar outfit, jeans and a turquoise halter top and starting on her second croissant.

“Layla, I know you hate croissants, but if memory serves me right, John has Froot Loops and Apple Jacks hidden from me behind the grown up cereal.”

“Finally! A normal person with normal cereal.”

I turn to Evangeline with a smile, but she shakes her head.

“Say it and I will ignore you for the rest of that day.”

“You’re no fun.”

She grins at me. “That isn’t what you said two nights ago. I seem to recall you saying that I was a lot of fun.”

“Gross!! I don’t think I’ve ever been so traumatized in my life and I haven’t even seen you guys do anything.”

“Well just be glad you’re not our kid.”

Evangeline raises her eyebrows and looks at me, surprised. I can’t believe I just said that out loud. Apparently, I do need a filter installed between my brain and my mouth.

“You know, I think I left something across the hall.”

Layla practically runs out of the room, leaving Evangeline and I alone.

“What was that?”

“I don;t exactly know. I guess I was just thinking it and it came out.”

“You’ve thought about us having kids?”

“Yes. I can see it in our future. Is that wrong?”

Evangeline beams and moves closer to me. “No. I’ve thought about it too. Imagined us a few years down the line with children. It’s just a little surprising that you think about us living in domestic bliss.”

“If I didn’t know you better, I’d say you were being sexist.”

Evangeline leans into me until her breath fans my cheek and says in a low, sultry voice, “Never, Lieutenant,” before kissing me.

Unfortunately, our moment is cut short when Layla returns. She studiously ignores our disheveled state and says, “I didn’t hear any yelling, so I figured it was safe. Have we all agreed we want kids. This we, being the royal we of course.”

“Yes Layla, we’re fine,” Evangeline answers from the desk. She jumped a mile when the door opened.

Layla walks up to me and slings her arm around my shoulder conspiratorially. “So John....when am I going to become an aunt?”
Vangie Don't Take No Mess by jovanangel87
Chapter 6: Vangie Don’t Take No Mess
(Evangeline’s POV)

Layla and I sit at a table in Rodi’s, waiting for Nora to arrive. I have a nettling feeling at the back of my neck, like the one I always get when something is going to happen, but I shake it off to be being paranoid.

I glance across the room at the armed guards John has on Layla and I. Layla seemed pretty tickled when John told her she had to have a guard watch her all day. She said she always wanted to be so important she needed a bodyguard. Nobody has to tell me that my baby sis is a bit loony.

A few minutes later, Antonio walks in and comes straight over to our table.

“Hey Evangeline. Hey... Layla?” How do you two know each other?”

“Layla’s my sister.”

“Seriously?”

Layla gets up, comes around the table and sits in my lap, putting her cheek right up against mine. “Can’t you see the family resemblance?”

Antonio laughs. “I should have known you two were related the minute you stepped into Capricorn.

“Why’s that?”

“I met your mother. You all exude confidence and beauty just by walking into a room.”

“I walk into a room just as cool as you please, And to a man, the fellows stand or fall down on their knees.’ It’s our motto.”

“Really.”

I roll my eyes and poke Layla. “No, it’s from a poem. You, stop showing off. And you, Antonio, stop flirting. You’re taken.”

“I’m not flirting. I’m just telling the truth.”

“Sweet talker.”

“So um, Hot Boss Dude.”

Antonio flushes bright red and looks away.

“Layla! Behave please. Can you go get our drinks and give my legs a break? They’re starting to go numb.”

She gets up and goes to the bar and I pull out a third chair from the table closest to us and motion for Antonio to sis.

“Don’t think Layla’s coming on to you or anything like that. She’s just teasing, she seems to get a high off of making people squirm.

“See now I know you two are related.”

I laugh. “Thanks Antonio. I haven’t laughed all day.”

“Any time. I heard about what happened last night. If there’s anything you need, just tell me.”

“Can you clean my apartment?” I joke.

“I stopped by earlier to see if there was anything I could do. Someone took care of it already.”

“Wonder who did that. Oh! Movie Night at my apartment tomorrow at 8. Can you make it?”

“Yes, but I thought you cancelled it.”

“I did. But I need some semblance of normality in my life. I feel bad trying to have fun while Natalie is out there, but we’re all doing whatever we can to find her. John needs to relax, Bo promised to make him go home, 9 the latest. If he doesn’t he’s going to collapse. And besides, I want you guys to all get to know Layla and Layla to get to know you guys.”

“Soon, everything will be back to normal.”

“I know, that’s what John keeps telling me.”

“Oh. So the only reason you agree with me is because John already said it first? Don’t I feel important.”

I reach over and hug him quickly. “You’re the best Antonio.”

Layla comes back, bearing three drinks. She hands me my martini, sets down her wine and gives Antonio a mojito.

“I didn’t know what you wanted, but I though this was you.”

“Thank you Layla.”

She sits, in her own chair this time, and takes a sip of her drink.

“Okay, so I promise I won’t call you Hot Boss Dude again. Wouldn’t want you to have a heart attack. Can I ask you a question though?”

I glance at her warily and Antonio sits back, amused. “Shoot.”

“Is this ‘I’d give the shirt off my back to save you’ love that everyone has for Vange extendable to me? Because I get into a lot more trouble that she does for the most part.”

“It’s extendable until we come up with a kind of love specific to you. So can I ask you a question now?”

“Okay?”

“You took so long to get drinks, I’m inclined to believe you either had to make them yourself or you were flirting with the bartender. What’s the matter? My bartender not good enough?”

I smile. “Layla, I think someone’s jealous.”

“Maybe a little.” He frowns as he catches me looking at my watch. “Is something wrong?”

“Nora was supposed to be here an hour ago and she hasn’t called or anything.”

He gives me a sheepish look. “Sorry. I was supposed to tell you, Nora said she’s sorry but she can’t make it, something important came up.”

“Well I guess we can order lunch then. You gonna join us Antonio?”

“Yes. I just have to take care of some business really quickly. Excuse me.”

He gets up from the table, leaving Layla and I.

“You know, I think I’m going to like living in Llanview. I just got carded at the bar.”

“Layla, you’re only 25, you’re too young to be happy about getting carded.”

“And you’re only 29, but you still grinned when the guy at Ultra Violet carded you. Let’s go refill our drinks.”

I shake my head and follow, knowing that there is no use trying to argue with her. At the bar, I see one of my clients and I excuse myself to go talk to him. Almost immediately, I wish I hadn’t. Hayes walks over to Layla and begins talking in a low voice, but Layla looks extremely uncomfortable. She flashes me a “help me” look and so I say abruptly to my client, “Mr. Barney, would you like to meet my sister?”

“If she’s as beautiful as you, yes.”

“Okay. Just let me go get her.”

I go over to them, and after smiling tightly at Hayes, say, “Layla, one of my clients would really like to meet you.”

She politely tells Hayes good-bye, but mid stride, he calls out, “Layla? As in Layla Williamson? I’ve heard of you. You had to leave LA because you slept with pretty much every producer out there. And still not one solid role? Well, if you think Mr. Barney here can better heighten your chances, you’re wrong. You’d be better off doing me, I might even give you a good recommendation.”

Well if they didn’t hear that in the White House, something must be wrong. I follow Layla to the bathroom, ignoring the whispers steadily escalating as we pass by.

“Vange none of what he said was true. There was this one producer who said I would get a major part if I slept with him. I told him where he could shove his little arrangement. He must have been passing rumours around all over LA.”

How does Hayes even know that Layla is an actress? That’s not something she would tell him in a five minute conversation.

“Layla, I know that. Nobody believes a word out of Hayes’ mouth, so don’t worry. Okay? I ‘ll be right back.”

I go back out into the dining area and walk straight over to where Hayes is standing by the bar. Antonio tries to ask me what’s going on as I pass, but I hold up my hand for him to wait.

“Hayes!”

He turns, a huge smirk on his face.

“Ms. Williamson the Eldest. How lovely.”

“If I ever so much as hear that you’ve spoken to my sister, the next thing that’ll come out of your mouth is going to be blood and teeth because I’m going to punch you so damn hard, you’re mother will piss herself.”

Now, normally, I wouldn’t bring anyone’s mother into an argument, but you mess with my little sister, and I’m doing everything I can to get you back. And even mentioning someone’s Mama is enough to start a full on war. Not with Hayes though. His gaze slithers down up and down my body as he says, “You know, I like a woman with spunk. Especially if she talks dirty. Is that how you talk to the Lieutenant after light’s out?”

Before I can even register it, I’ve kneed him in the groin and punched him in the mouth, but before my fist can connect a second time with his jaw, a strong arm restrains me.

“Antonio, get off.”

“John would kill those guards if he found out they let you beat the crap out of someone. Even if it is this worthless asshole. But they also don’t want to restrain you, and that’s clearly the only way they can stop you. Just chill, someone will deal with this scumbag later.”

I turn and walk back to our table, my head held high like my Daddy taught me. It is hard though to be dignified after someone just defamed your sister’s name and you subsequently gave him some free facial reconstruction.

“Evangeline, have I told you lately that I love you and I’m very glad that I have a big sister like you?”

I grin at Layla. “No, but I’d be glad to hear it again.”

We all laugh and a waiter comes over to take our order with a bowl of ice. “Thought you might need it for your hand. Hayes was dripping blood all over the place when he skulked out of here, I figure it must hurt.”

“Thanks.”

When he leaves, Antonio grins and says, “Holyfield has nothing on you.”

“Speaking of which, Vange, the next big fight, we have to have every one you know over to watch it.”

“You guys watch boxing?”

I smile innocently. “Didn’t I tell you. Layla and I used to watch with our Dad, my mom always said it was the only smidgen of barbarism in him. And John’s teaching me to box.”

“Remind me never to get on your bad side.”

Layla’s cell phone rings and she glances at the screen with a puzzled look. “Hello?”

I turn when I hear John’s voice. Layla has put her phone on speaker mode.

“Layla, I need to ask you something really important. I would ask Evangeline, but I don’t want her freaking out.”

“Too late. I’m already freaked out. What’s wrong?”

“Have you seen Hayes?”

Before Antonio or I could hush her, Layla burst out, “Yep. Evangeline just decked him. Kneed him in the nuts too. Which in it itself is a huge gift to mankind.”

“She did what! Where are your guards?”

“John, calm down. I’m fine, didn’t even break a sweat. I was stopped before I could do any real harm.”

Layla gives me a ‘yeah right’ look, which I ignore. “Okay, fine. I can’t argue with you about this now. Where is Hayes?”

“He left?”

“Do you know where he went?”

It’s a good thing Rodi’s is crowded and loud or else everyone would be able to hear our conversation.

“If he’s smart, a hospital, “Layla quips. Antonio clamps his hand over her mouth, shaking his head.

“What was that?”

“Nothing. We have no idea where Hayes went. Why are you so interested in his whereabouts anyway? He’s trying to make you lose your job and pretty soon he’s going to talk the mayor into setting IAB on your tail if you don’t lay off him.”

John sighs. “If you see him, don’t go anywhere near him. Tell the guards and then call me. Okay?”

“Nope. Not till you tell me what’s going on. If you want me to cooperate, you’re going to have to give me the full story.”

“Fine. Hayes Barber, the man that you just decked, is the Killing Club Killer.”
To Hard To Handle by jovanangel87
Chapter 7: Hard To Handle

(Evangeline’s POV)


I can still hear John saying that Hayes Barber is the Killing Club Killer. I can still feel the white-hot rage coursing through my veins, making my blood boil so hard that I can hear it. And that all took place three days ago.

Three days in which Hayes kidnapped both Marcie and Rex Balsom, and tried to kill them, they were rescued and Hayes was arrested, the second player in the murders was revealed to be Nick Messina and he was shot and almost killed. And Natalie still hasn’t been found.

I can’t help feeling that there’s something else that I can do to aid the search for Natalie. Some clue that I can’t remember right know, but I probably noticed. So now I’m at the police station, ready to pitch an idea to Bo and John. I walk across the squad room to where John is standing with his back to me, flipping through a file.

“John.”

He turns around, a tired smile on his face. “Hey. What are you doing here?”

“I have an idea. I think I can help find Natalie.”

“Okay, I’ll bite. How?”

“I keep getting small flashes of memories. This morning I was getting dressed and the radio was playing “What A Difference A Day Makes”. I know how much you love that song, it normally makes me smile. But this morning I literally stopped breathing. I felt panicked, like I was in danger. I just have a feeling that my reaction is somehow related to me being kidnapped. I think that if we can get all my suppressed memories from the kidnapping, we can find Natalie.”

“What are you saying?”

“I want for you and Bo to arrange to have me hypnotized.”

John stares at me for a long while, before he smiles again and says, “You know, you’ve been here for at least three minutes and I still haven’t gotten a hello kiss.”

I give him a suspicious look and kiss him impatiently. “Okay? Where’s Bo? We need to talk to him about this.”

John ignores my question and looks at his watch. “You know, I have an hour free for lunch. We can go to the Palace.”

“I can’t believe that you’re trying to distract me with food. I’m not that easy to deter.”

I put my hands on my hips and stare at John until he caves.

“Why do you want to be hypnotized Evangeline? Do you know what bringing up those memories can do to you?”

“Yes. I’ve thought about it. But if we don’t find Natalie soon, it’s going to be too late, and I’ll never be able to live with the fact that I could have helped but I didn’t. I’m doing this for myself as much as I’m doing it for Natalie.”

“What would you do if I told you that I didn’t think it was a good idea?”

I smile wryly. “You know the answer to that. I’d do it anyway.”

“Let’s go talk to Bo.”

It takes three minutes to convince Bo and ten minutes to secure an appointment with a hypnotherapist qualified to help us. He comes to the station almost immediately and sets up for our session. John is allowed to sit in as long as he promises not to intervene. And John will only allow the session to go for as long as I’m not overly upset by anything.

We start off with some breathing exercises to relax me. John sits on the sidelines, watching apprehensively, so I shoot him a wink. He smiles briefly, and I turn my attention back to Dr. Fox

“Okay, Evangeline, we’re going to begin now. Are you ready?”

I smile slightly, mostly to reassure John. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

“As I count backward from three to one, you’ll be able to recall the events that took place the night you were kidnapped. Three. Two One....”

....

I open my eyes slowly and look around the room at all the shocked faces around me. John is sitting closer to me, clutching my hand and staring as if he’s seen a ghost and I can feel tears still running out of my eyes.

“How did I do?”

“You did great, Evangeline. You’re amazing. I don’t know how to thank you.”

“Why am I crying, John? Was it that bad?”

John and Dr. Fox share a glance and Dr. Fox nods.

“Things got a little out of hand for a while, but you pulled through it.”

“Evangeline, what you did was very brave and selfless. Most of the time, if you have to be hypnotized to retrieve a memory, it is probably because it’s a particularly traumatic one. You volunteered to re-experience these feelings, and that’s not something that most people would have done. You may very well have saved Natalie Vega’s life.”

“So you got what you need? I knew where Natalie is?”

“You don’t know exactly where she is, but you have a vague idea. It’s better than nothing.”

As Dr. Fox packs up, I say, “Thank you Dr. Fox. For helping us out.”

“No problem”

I watch silently as John makes numerous calls, giving orders to his task force and procuring all the back up he thinks that he may need. I smile faintly when he mentions spelunkers, the word always makes me laugh. I know that John gets into this zone when he catches a lead in any case, but especially this one. This time though, he’s different. He seems pre-occupied.

“John, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing. I have to go, Evangeline. Are you going to be okay?”

“Yeah. I’m tired though. I think I’m just going to go home and take a nap.”

“Okay. I’ll see you later.”

I watch as he flies out of the Task Force room, then sigh and gather my stuff.

What seems like eons later, I’m sitting on my couch with Layla, watching a re-run of Dharma and Greg. Layla’s telling me about her night at Capricorn, but I’m barely paying attention.

“So this interior designer that Antonio hired is a complete nut job. She’s going on and on about how the waitress uniforms should match the general design she has in mind for the club. I had to be the one to say to Antonio that the club should be salsa inspired. It would be hot, a salsa-blues-jazz fusion, right? So anyway, the designer pops out these sparkly red things, the uniforms she has in mind. The shorts are sparkly red spandex, barely big enough to cover our asses and the tops are pretty much red-sequined bras. All the waitresses were there, Antonio figured that we had some say in the uniforms we were supposed to wear. Our eyes popped out of our heads, and finally I say to her that this is a jazz club, not Hooters. She wasn’t pleased, and Antonio had to pretty much grovel to get her not to leave, she’s a good interior designer, but she sucks with clothes. And the best part is, Antonio wasn’t mad at me.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Are you paying attention?”

“Uh-huh?”

“What did I just say?”

“Un-huh.”

“Can I wear your new Stuart Weitzman pumps.?”

“Uh-huh.”

Seconds later, I feel a sharp pain in my side, and I break out of my trance, turning to glare at Layla. “What did you pinch me for?”

“You just said I could wear your new Stuart Weitzman pumps. And you never let me borrow your shoes before you’ve had a chance to wear them, so I know there’s something wrong with you. What’s up?”

“Layla, I’m tired. I really don’t want to do this right now.”

She rolls her eyes. “You can’t be tired still. When I got here you were stretched out across your bed fast asleep. Come up with a better excuse.”

“I went to the police station today. I had this idea, so I wanted to run it by John and Bo.”

“The hypnotism thing?”

“Yeah. We went through with it. And as John was leaving to follow up on what I’d told them, he seemed preoccupied. He said he was fine when I asked, so I didn’t push it.”

Layla picks the remote up off of the coffee table and turns the TV off before turning to me. “Is that why you’re not paying attention? You’re worried about Natalie being found?”

“No. They found her. There was a cave-in and after a lot of arguing John went down there after her.”

“And that’s why you’re mad?”

“No! Just let me tell you what happened and stop interrupting. John promised to call me if anything happened, so while Bo was calling Viki, he called me. I got to the hospital at the same time as Natalie and John did. It turns out that other than a sprained ankle and dehydration, Natalie was okay. After her family visited, John and I went inside her room to visit her. She was still asleep when we went in, but she woke up when she heard John talking to her. And you know what she said Layla?”

I look at her, but she doesn’t say anything, so I continue. “She said that the only thing that gave her the courage to stay alive was that she had a dream that John and I got married at Llanfair and it made her mad. That was before she realized that I was in the room. She started thanking John for saving her life and John said that he didn’t do much, that I saved her life.”

“Which you did.”

“I guess. A little while after, I left the room so Natalie and John could talk privately. John offered to drive me home afterwards, he said that he had to talk to me about something.”

******
“So what’s so important that you couldn’t wait until tomorrow to talk to me about?”

I glance at John, who clenches his jaw and pulls into my parking space.

“When we broke up, you said it was because I was in love with Natalie. You said that I continually put her first, before you. I’m not saying that I did, and I’m not saying that I didn’t. It’s your feelings that matter in this any way.”

“Why are you bringing this up now John?”

“I want you to understand. There are so many things about me that you don’t know, so many things that I’ve done that hurt people, including you.”

“And Natalie, right? Can we have this conversation upstairs, please?”

He shakes his head. “No. When I’m done, you might very well hate me. I just want to do this now, before I lose the nerve.”

“Okay.”

“Last year, we went through a rough spot when Cristian came back. You thought that I was wrong when I said that he was an imposter, not the same Cris. Later on, when it was proven that he was, you apologized to me and said that you would trust my judgement always. I told you not to say that. I told you not to say that because I was wrong. And on top of being wrong, I made a very bad decision that affects a lot of people in Llanview.”

“What are you talking about John? Cris was an imposter, he admitted it himself.”

“No. He wasn’t. I got the DNA results maybe five minutes after the verdict was read. That prisoner is Cristian Vega. I brought the results to him first, so that he could, i don’t know, begin proceedings to get the verdict overturned. He asked me to keep his identity a secret to protect his family, especially Natalie. Despite my better judgement I agreed.”

“Why.....why are you telling me this now?”

“It’s the reason why every time Natalie is in the slightest bit of danger, I go running. Cris isn’t here to protect her, and it’s because of me. And I’m telling you because you should have known from the start, you believed in me and you supported me. You even helped me to get Carlotta’s DNA to test against his and found a discreet doctor to run the test. You deserve to know.”

“John, why now! Why tonight of all nights? Why not yesterday? Why not last week? Why not then? Why not before we broke up? Why now!?”

“Because you sacrificed your own feelings to help find Natalie. And this afternoon, when I listened to you talk about how you felt on the night of the ceremony, before you were kidnapped, it ripped my heart to pieces. I knew that I hurt you, and I will always regret it, but I didn’t know I hurt you quite so much. Had you known, you might never have been kidnapped. Natalie probably wouldn’t have been kidnapped either. I just hate the thought that you went through so much pain and terror because of me. As soon as Natalie is out of the hospital, I’m telling her. Because I’m tired of having you feel like you’re not important to me. My personal demons almost destroyed us on their own, but I can’t keep lugging around everyone else’s.”

“John, I love you. I couldn’t ever hate you. But right now, and I’m not being dramatic, I’m mad enough to kill you. So I’m going to go upstairs, take a long hot shower and try not to do like you do when the going get’s tough and drink my way through my entire supply of hard liquor. And then I’m going to plug out my phone and I’m going to sleep. Maybe I’ll even sleep all day tomorrow, I need it. But I don’t want to see you or talk to you until I’m ready. So don’t try to call me, I won’t answer and try not to come upon me in public. I’m not sure what I’ll do once this has all really sunk in.”

*********

“....and then I left the car.”

Layla stares at me, wide-eyed. “Wow. I can’t believe you threatened to kill him.”

“ I didn’t threaten him. God, when did my life turn into such a soap opera?”

“I don’t know. So what are you going to do?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know what to think about all of this. There’s this small part of me that’s doubtful of John’s sincerity and then the rest of me is saying that I should forgive him because he was trying to do the right thing.”

“So forgive him.”

I sigh. “It’s not that simple. John lied to me for months. You have no idea how it felt at the Woman of the Year ceremony to have John there. It hurt to have him there and know he wasn’t there with me, but at least he was there for me. But when he left and I found Natalie’s picture, it was horrible to think that he hadn’t been there for me, but to look for Natalie.”

“You’re right Sis. I don’t have any idea, but you didn’t tell me. But you were hypnotized today, and when you came to, John was acting weird. Maybe you told him how you felt, how horrible it was. Maybe that’s the reason why he told you. Because telling you the truth might hurt you in the short time, but in the long run, it’ll absolve you of all your hurt.”

I snort. “Somehow, I’m still not that convinced.”

“Well then you must be dumber than a bag of bricks. Can’t you see that John loves you? He would do anything for you. He is the epitome of the “I” in that song, “For You I Will”. He’d move mountains for you and I know that you know that. I know for a fact that somewhere inside of you, you’re still mad that John saved Natalie before he saved you from that fire. It’s okay, since you’re only human, time will heal all wounds. When I came to Llanview, the second thing on my agenda was to go to John McBain and tell him what an ass I thought he was. I was ready to do it too, up until the point when I said I wanted you for a lawyer and he still thought I was the Killer. The look in his eyes... Vange, it made me super glad to be a woman. If I wasn’t I would still be sporting some bruises from his hands being wrapped around my neck. He’s not stupid Evangeline. He knows how amazing you are, he treasures that. And I suspect that after what you did today, volunteering to get hypnotized“ ”

I interrupt her. “That’s not why I did it, to get John’s attention.”

“I know that Vange. And so does John. That’s why he told you though. Because he really gets that you are to amazing to let a secret come between you.”

“And Natalie has nothing to do with this, right,” I ask sarcastically.

“Evangeline Williamson! When did you get so selfish? Of course it’s about Natalie too, Cristian is her husband. It’s about Natalie and Carlotta and Antonio and everyone else that had to mourn Cristian Vega for a second time because he wanted to play God and he roped John into helping him. With all due respect, I don’t think that John should have told you first. Yes, you’re involved, but compared to everyone else, your involvement is minimal. He only told you first in consideration for your feelings, because when everything goes down, I think that I can safely bet that Natalie is going to tell you out of spite and Antonio and Carlotta are going to ask you about it. So stop sulking and call John.”

“I’ll call him when I’m ready to talk to him. Right now, I might say anything that comes to mind.”

She gets up and walks over to the phone, picks up the handset and gives it to me. “Good. That’s what you should do. Now call him or I’ll call him for you. Either way, you need to talk to him. Tonight.”

She gives me a meaningful look and walks away while I dial his number. It rings twice and then he picks up.

“Hello, John.....”
Chapter 8: Confessions by jovanangel87
Chapter 8

(John’s POV)


The phone rings, and I vault across the room to get to it.

“Hello!”

“Hello, John... it’s Evangeline.”

“I know.”

I stay silent, waiting for her to talk. I don’t know what to say to her, I can’t think of a way to justify my actions to myself, much more any one else.

“I told Layla about what happened. You don’t have to worry though, she’ll be discreet. I just needed someone to talk to.”

“Okay.”

She sighs in frustration. “Stop doing that, John! Say something other than I know and Okay. Say something meaningful.”

“Evangeline, I don’t know what to say to you right now. I want this all to go away. I want things to be right between us, but I don’t know how to do that.”

“John, earlier, I was really mad at you. I still am a little, but I can appreciate the fact that you told me of your own accord. But John we won’t work unless we both trust each other. I have trusted you totally and completely, but I couldn’t help feeling like you didn’t tell me because you didn’t trust me.”

“Evangeline, I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to have to carry around this secret. Please believe me when I say that I’m not trying to make excuses. This has been such a big burden to carry around all the time. I told you because I realized today that no one has the right to play God. Not me and not Cris.”

“Did you speak to him?”

“Yes. He’s adamant that I shouldn’t tell anyone, but Natalie, Antonio, Carlotta and Adriana all have right to know. I’m going to tell Natalie first thing in the morning.”

“Well then, I’ll meet you at the hospital tomorrow at 9. You’re going to need some support.”

“Thank you.”

“I want you to be clear John. I don’t understand, and I don’t fully forgive you. And I don’t condone what you did either. I’m going to be there tomorrow because I love you, and only because I love you.”

“I love you too Evangeline. More than you’ll ever know and for more reasons than you will ever be able to understand. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Bright and early. Goodnight.”

She hangs up, and I do the same, leaning back against the headboard of the bed. I contemplate staying up a little longer, but decide against it. With the day I’m going to have tomorrow, I’m going to need a lot of rest..


(The next morning- at the hospital)

I’m sitting in the waiting room of the hospital, my back to the entrance, sipping a cup of coffee. It’s horrible and weak, but I need it. I didn’t sleep very well last night, thinking of everything that happened yesterday. I’m glad that Evangeline knows nothing of what she said yesterday, only the things that I repeated back to her. All night, every time I closed my eyes, I kept seeing her rocking back and forth, in incredible pain and anguish, and I can’t do a thing about it. I’m tired of people, namely Evangeline getting hurt from the things that I do. Which is why I made the decision to stop keeping John Doe’s identity as Cristian Vega a secret.

My head turns at the sound of heels clicking on the linoleum, accompanied with the smell of spring flowers that can only be Evangeline. She’s wearing one of those jersey dresses that cling to her figure, a sleeveless cut with a light blue geometric pattern, and her hair is swinging freely behind her.

“Good morning.”

I smile at her uncertainly before answering, “’Morning Evangeline.”

“You ready to do this?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be. Thank you for being here. You really didn’t have to.”

She smiles. “I know.” She studies me carefully for a few seconds and then kisses me lightly on the lips.

“What was that for?”

“”For luck. For strength. Because I wanted to. You choose.”

“For all three then.”

She sits in the seat that I was previously occupying and says, “I’ll be out here, waiting. I don’t think that I should be in there when you tell Natalie.”

“Yeah, I wouldn’t want you to get hit in the head by any stray objects.”

“Because I’m weird enough as it is, right?”

She laughs and waves me on. After giving her one more grateful smile, I walk up to Natalie’s door and knock.

“Come in.”

I take a deep breath and push open the door. “Good morning.”

“Good morning! I didn’t expect to see you here, though I can’t say that I mind. Come in. Sit down.”

I do as she says, choosing a chair that is moderately distant from the bed. More than I don’t want to get decked by Natalie, I really don’t want to get decked by Evangeline.

“How are you feeling?”

“Like I’m ready to take on the world. How’s my hero feeling?”

“Evangeline? She’s great.”

She rolls her eyes. “I meant...you know what? Never mind. Hey, do you think you could do me a favor?”

“What is it?”

“Can you please tell Michael that I feel fine and I don’t need to spend another 24 hours in the hospital?”

“I don’t think I’m qualified to make that decision. Natalie, I have something important that I need to tell you.”

“If you want to tell me that you and Evangeline got back together, I know already. Michael told me. It’s okay though John, you don’t have to feel guilty. I’ll still be here when she breaks your heart again.”

I think I’ve just had my first ‘Oh no she didn’t’ moment. I stare at Natalie and wonder if I ever really knew her, or was the Natalie I knew just the Natalie she let me see.

“That’s not what I was going to tell you. It’s about Cristian.”

Her top lip wrinkles in disgust. “You mean that imposter? I don’t want to hear anything about him.”

“What if I were to tell you that he is the real Cristian Vega?”

“What? John did you hit your head or something? You’ve been acting weird since last night. Maybe you hit your head in the well. You should let Michael check it out for you.”

“There’s nothing wrong with my head, Natalie. Cristian Vega is alive. There’s DNA that proves it.”

Natalie stares at me silently for a few seconds before blurting out, “That can’t be true. Evangeline put you up to this didn’t she? So I would be once again occupied with an imposter while she tried to get you to fall in love with her?”

I won’t even touch half of that statement. It’s amazing what a near death experience can do to some people. I guess Natalie decided to show her true colours from now on.

“Evangeline didn’t put me up to anything Natalie. She didn’t even know until last night.”

“Why did Evangeline know before me> Cris was...is? my husband!”

I stare at her, flabbergasted. Did she really just ask me that? As Layla said when I tried to trick her into tasting a bagel with cream cheese and honey, ‘I peep your game’. It had to be explained to me first, but it applies perfectly in this situation.

“I just got the feeling that you’d use that information to get between us, Natalie.”

“I don’t believe you John. I can’t believe that you’d do something like that to me. You need to leave, John. I don’t know why you would make this up, and I don’t want to know. When you can tell me the truth, you can come back.”

I try to speak again, but one look from her and I know it’s hopeless. She won’t listen. Natalie lives in this fantasy world where everything is either for her or about her, no one else matters unless you can do something for her.

“Bye Natalie. Get well...soon.”

I leave the room and walk over to Evangeline, who’s whispering to Michael and laughing. I hang back for a moment to enjoy her looking more relaxed than she has been in a while.

“Hey, what are you two laughing about? Not me I hope?”

“Dude, not everything is about you. We were talking about.. You know what? None of your business.”

I roll my eyes at Michael and turn to Evangeline, who touches my hand lightly and asks, “How did it go?”

“How did what go?”

“None of your business Michael. It went badly. I’ll tell you about it later. Evangeline.”

“Well, we’re off to Capricorn. I’ll talk to you later Michael.”

“Capricorn this early in the morning?”

“We’re not drinking Michael,” Evangeline replies, standing up and grabbing her bag.

“Speak for yourself Evangeline. I could use a stiff drink right about now.”

Michael and Evangeline fix me with glares so icy, I shiver. I hold up my hands. “I was kidding! No drinks, I promise.”

Twenty minutes later, Evangeline and I are sitting in front of Antonio, waiting for him to respond to the news we just gave him, and I’m really starting to wish that I hadn’t promised that. He opens his mouth a few times, but he doesn’t make a sound.

After about five minutes of agonizing silence, Antonio clears his throat and says, “Well I guess I’ll be working with you two to help Cris get out of prison.”

As hard as I try to stop it, my mouth drops wide open. And Evangeline is just as shocked, if not visibly so.

“Huh,” is all she can utter.

Antonio smiles slightly at Evangeline. “You’re wondering why I’m not mad, aren’t you? You can’t understand why you’re still mad at John for not telling you, and I’m not?”

She nods. “To say the least.”

“I know what it’s like to wish that you could become another person so that all of your actions that are hurtful will no longer hurt your family and the people that you care about. That’s how I felt last summer. It’s bad enough for John Doe to deal with having killed one man, even if he wasn’t altogether innocent, but he also has to deal with the fact that he tried to kill me. As Cris, he has to deal with him betraying his wife and family, killing his cousin and attempting to kill his own brother. I can understand him not wanting to claim being Cristian Vega.”

“Okay?”

“And as for John, I see why he wanted to help Cris. He felt partially responsible for Cris being in prison, he’s the one that first thought that he was an imposter. So of course he’s willing to do anything to remedy that situation. And if it means keeping Cris’ identity a secret, then so be it, right?”

“Antonio, you’re wasting your time with this club. You should be some kind of shrink.”

And the weird thing is, I mean it. I would not joke around right now.

“Yeah, I guess. So we’re going to have to do a lot of work to get Cris out. He’s going to be stubborn.”

Evangeline rifles through her briefcase and pulls a few files out, putting them on a table. “Well then let’s get to work.”
Chapter 9: You Can Ring My Bell by jovanangel87
(John’s POV)

There is only one invention in this world that I hate more than the telephone, and that’s the doorbell. Because no matter what we’re doing, Evangeline feels she has to answer both. And I always have to try and convince her not to, even if I know I’m not going tor win.

“Evangeline, just leave the door. This is the first time we’ve been alone together for more than ten minutes in a week. And our time is almost up, we have to meet Layla at the diner. Who ever it is at the door can come back later if it’s really important.”

I pull her towards me in a searing kiss, but after a few seconds, she pulls away.

“John, stop trying to seduce me. I can’t not answer the door, it’ll be rude. Besides, what if it’s the pizza guy?”

“You ordered pizza?”

She smiles and I let her go reluctantly. She laughs as she leaves the bedroom.

In just a robe. And the kid that delivers the pizza is more than a little weird. I better go check on her.

“Hon, who is it?” I ask, walking into the living room. And I come face to face with Lisa Williamson. Did I mention I’m only wearing a towel? No? Well I am. Thank goodness my thoughts have been pretty innocent.

Evangeline stares from the door, her mouth wide open and her eyes even wider, while Mrs. Williamson looks more amused than mad.

“Mrs. Williamson. Hi.”

“It’s Lisa, John. How are you?”

As Evangeline breezes past me, she mutters, “Tell her you’re on death’s door and get in here. Now.”

I smile politely at her mother and say, “I’m fine thank you Lisa. While I’d love to catch up with you, I think Evangeline would like to yell at me, so if you’d please excuse me...”

She smiles and nods and I go back in to the bedroom where Evangeline is sitting on the bed, her face a mask of calm. I’m not fooled, I know she’s going to kill me, if I don’t die of embarrassment first.

“John, what would possess you to come to the door in just a towel?”

I shrug. “You said it might be the pizza guy, and you were just in your robe. He’s always looking at you weird when you’re fully dressed.”

Evangeline rolls her eyes and responds, “John, if you feel threatened by a 16 year old, we have a more serious problem than my mother seeing you in just a towel.”

I study her silently as she repeatedly runs her fingers through her locks a she always does when she’s frustrated or overwhelmed. “You know, I think she already knows Evangeline.”

“You think who knows what?”

“I think your mother knows that we...”

I trail off when she looks up at me with her eyes sparking. “What? That we what John?”

“Have sex.”

Almost before the comment is out of my mouth, Evangeline socks me in the shoulder. And like an idiot, I laugh. Because this is sort of funny. But Evangeline must not think so, because she does it again.

“That hurts Evangeline.”

“Darn! I wanted it to tickle.”

“The first one sorta did.”

“John, did you wake up this morning with the sole intent to drive me insane?”

I smile. “My mother used to ask my dad that all the time. See, we already sound like a married couple.”

Before the doorbell rang, Evangeline and I were debating the merits of marriage. And while it was really casual, it was taking a very fast route to becoming a heated battle. The last time we talked about marriage, Evangeline didn’t talk to me for almost a week, she was so upset. So maybe it is a good thing that we were interrupted.

She heaves a frustrated sigh. “John, I refuse to have this conversation with you right now. Not today.”

“Why not, we have to do it sometime.”

Then she asks me something that disarms me momentarily. “Are you drunk?”

“Ha. That’s funny. No, I’m not, just happy. I think your mother likes me now.”

Evangeline raises her eyes heaven-ward and mutters, “Oh, sweet Jesus.”

“No, I’m John. Remember?”

She bites her lip in an attempt to curb a smile, but she soon finds herself laughing.

“I don’t know why I put up with you.”

“Because you love me.”

“That’s right, I do love you. Now put some clothes on for Christ’s sake,” she says, throwing my jeans at me. I catch them easily, sticking my tongue out at her. We get dressed quickly, mindful that Lisa is still waiting in the living room. Though by the sounds of things, she’s enjoying herself channel surfing.

I emerge from the room in jeans and a thin T-shirt; it’s 93 degrees outside. Evangeline insists that I would be less hot if I wore shorts like she is, but I think I’ll pass. Lisa looks up at us and smiles. “Done with the tonguing?”

I can feel my cheeks flaming a bright red, and one look at Evangeline tells me she’s blushing too. And after a few seconds, so is Lisa. “Sorry, I didn’t mean that. So where are you two going?”

“We’re supposed to meet Layla for lunch at the diner. Come with us, she’ll be so excited that you’re in town.”

“More than you were, baby?”

“Sorry Mom. It’s not that I’m not happy to see you, I am. But I am also a little surprised that you’re here.”

“Well when Layla called and told me that she was in Llanview, I figured I would come down here for a visit with both my girls. Henry, Clay and Brenda are coming tomorrow, but just for the day.”

At the sound of Henry’s name, I do my best to stifle a sigh, but I think I let it out anyway, because Lisa smiles at me sympathetically. “Don’t worry John, Henry will be on his best behaviour tomorrow. Brenda is his older sister, and she will not hesitate to smack him upside the head in public.”

“Good, that’ll save me the job,” Evangeline says, her head half under the couch in pursuit of her car keys. She always knows where her house keys are, and mine, but she loses her car keys at least three times a day. Whereas I lose my house keys all the time, but I always have my car keys, which is why it’s a good thing that Evangeline has one of my spare keys, and I have the spare keys to her car.

“Evangeline don’t worry about it, I’ve got the spare. Let’s just go to the diner before Layla blows a gasket. She said she had something important to tell us.”

“Knowing Layla, she just wants to tell us that she and Antonio finally agreed on a pattern for the glasses. They’ve been fighting about it all week and every time I’m supposed to help, they shoot down all of my ideas.”

I turn to Lisa, who looks stricken and say, “It’s for the bar where she works.”

“That’s very good to know.”

Finally, Evangeline finds her keys“ she completely ignored my request to hurry“ and we get into her car to drive to the diner. Along the way, my cell phone rings, and after checking the caller ID and seeing that it’s Michael, I answer, “City morgue. Who’d you kill this time?”

“Very funny John. Very funny.”

“I know. What do you want?”

“Meet me at the diner for lunch and bring Evangeline with you. I’ve got a surprise for you guys.”

“We can all meet up there then, Layla wants to tell us something too.”

“Okay. Later.”

“Later.”

I hang up and turn to Evangeline. “That was Mike. He wants to talk to us about something, so he’s meeting us at the diner.”

“Today? Between him, Layla and Mom, we’re going to be hearing embarrassing stories all day long.”

“Sorry hon. But that’s the way the Cookie crumbles.”

I pull my arm away just in time for Evangeline to slap the dashboard. Lisa laughs from the backseat. “God don’t like ugly, Evangeline.”

I grin. “What she said.”

We arrive at the diner before Michael does, since I don’t see him in the booth with Layla and Antonio. As we walk up to the table, Layla looks up with a shriek and launches herself at Lisa. “Mom!”

“Layla, sweetheart, calm down. You’re too old to carry on like this,” she says, hugging Layla tightly, her bright smile betraying her scolding tone.

Evangeline and I slide into the booth across from Antonio and greet him. Carlotta comes over briefly to set a bowl of tortillas on the table to hold us over until we order and before long, Layla and Lisa join us at the table.

“So Antonio, you work with Layla?”

“You could say that. I’m her boss, but we’ve become good friends since she’s come to Llanview. She’s been helping me decide how I want to remodel my club. She’s very creative.”

Lisa smiles. “Both my daughters are. I’d love to see this club.”

“I’d love to show you around. Maybe you might have some valuable input that will help us.”

Lisa glows with pleasure and I can’t help but whisper to Antonio, “Man what’s your secret? All the Williamson women love you.”

Evangeline grins. “Just wait until Brenda meets him. She’s gonna have a coronary.”

“Why?”

“Because all the good ones are taken.”

I lean over and kiss her on the cheek. I’m about to say something, when Lisa interrupts.

“So, when did you two get back together?”

Oh, I see know. This whole being nice to me thing must have been to make me let my guard down. I glance at Evangeline, who shrugs slightly.

“About a week before you went back home.”

“Well, I don’t have any objections to that, though I would like to know, what are your intentions towards my daughter?”

“Mom!”

“It’s fine Evangeline. I don’t mind, it’s a viable question.”

I look at Lisa and we have a moment of silent communication. She’s not prying, nor is she asking to be rude or make me uncomfortable.

“I have nothing but the most honourable intentions towards Evangeline. I love her and I want to spend the rest of my life with her.”

Evangeline shoots me a warning glance, which I ignore. I know what Lisa is going to ask me next, and I intend to answer it truthfully nd bluntly. Evangeline can’t just want a committed relationship on her terms, I want all the strings, not just most of them. Marriage, a house, kids, the works. But Evangeline doesn’t think that I truly want these things with her. Lying to a mother about your intentions towards her child is tantamount to one of the Seven Deadly sins, so Evangeline must take me seriously after this.

“John, please don’t start this again. This is not the time nor the place,” Evangeline whispers to me.

“John, when you say that you want to spend the rest of your life with Evangeline, does that also mean marriage?”

“Yes. I do intend to marry Evangeline. Sooner than later.”

Evangeline chokes on the tortilla chip she was nibbling nervously, and as my hand touches her back to calm her, she tenses up. A lot. Methinks someone’s going to be in a lot of trouble when we get home tonight. And it’s not her.

Antonio looks more shocked than he did when I told him Cristian’s alive, Layla looks like this amuses her and Lisa looks satisfied with my answer. As a matter of fact, she looks like she was expecting my answer. From her last visit in Llanview, I would never have thought that Lisa Williamson would be playing matchmaker of some sorts with Evangeline and I.

Layla hands me a folded napkin, which I take and unfold. Written in her small, swirly handwriting is a note, which reads, “I hope you know you just signed your own death certificate.”

I smile and wink at Layla. The bell above the door jingles and I look up at the same time as Evangeline. The site there literally makes Evangeline stop breathing.
Isn't She Lovely by jovanangel87
Chapter 10: Isn’t She Lovely?

(Evangeline’s POV)

I look up at the door and my breath stops completely. Standing beside Michael in the doorway is a tall, beautiful woman that I know from pictures is Eve McBain.

I let out a long breath and Layla glances at me curiously before turning in her seat and looking towards the door.

“Hey Michael, if you’re coming over here, can you bring that beautiful lady standing next to you? I think she’ll more than make up for your lack in the good looks department.”

Everyone at the table laughs as they approach, Michael rolling his eyes and muttering under his breath and me silently thanking God for a nosy sister.

John stands from the booth and greets his mother with a warm hug and a kiss on the cheek, before turning slightly towards me with a smile and saying, “Mom, this is the wonderfully famous Evangeline.”

She smiles warmly. “The woman you’re going to marry sooner than later, right? It’s a pleasure to meet you Evangeline.”

I stand and hug her as well. “It’s wonderful to finally meet you Mrs. McBain.”

“It’s Eve. I intend to have a wonderful relationship with you and none of my friends call me by my last name.”

I can’t help but to beam, which causes her to turn to John and ask, “What sort of stories have you been telling your girlfriend about me John? She looks awfully relieved that I didn’t eat her.”

“It’s not John’s fault, my sister just freaks out about the smallest things. I’m Layla, the famous Williamson.”

Eve smiles and hugs Layla and then I introduce her to my mother, who I can tell likes Eve already. We slide over in our booths to make room for Michael and Eve and wait for a waitress to come an take our order.

“So John, did you actually propose to Evangeline without a ring?” I glare at Michael and fight the urge to slide further down my seat. The chairs are made of vinyl and I would hate to slide right onto the floor and make a fool of myself.

“No, I didn’t propose nimwit. Why don’t you focus on your own problems, namely your lack of looks.”

That of course takes the heat off of John and puts it right back on Layla. Those two fight more than Layla and I did growing up.

“You know Layla, that hurt my feelings. I am too good looking.”

“Are you gonna cry every time I say something to you Michael?”

This could go on for hours, so I ignore them and turn my attention to Eve.

“So Eve, how long are you in Llanview for?”

“For two weeks, then I’m working again. I might sing a few times at Capricorn, but not immediately. I don’t feel like dealing with RJ right now.”

“RJ doesn’t own Capricorn anymore. As a matter of fact, Antonio owns it now.

“And I would love to have you sing at the club,”Antonio says, briefly pulling himself out of a conversation with my mother.

Eve smiles graciously. “Thank you Antonio. I’ll be sure to give you a call when I’m available.”

“No problem.”

Our separate conversations are halted momentarily when Carlotta comes over to take our order. The diner is extremely full and from the looks of things, we’re not going to be getting our lunch for any time soon.

“Eve do you have any good stories of John growing up? He banned Michael from telling me the good ones.”

“Well there was the time when John watched an old Dracula movie and thought he could glide so he tied on a black towel and tried to glide down the stairs. A broken collarbone and eight stiches later, he figured out that it wasn’t real.”

I laugh and glance at John, who seems a little embarrassed. As my Aunt Rita always said, that’s so it goes m’dear.

“Is that how he got that scar on his knee?”

“No, that’s a more boring story. We were in the woods hiking on vacation when John was 13. John and Michael wandered off and one of them must have bothered a bee’s nest, and they started running back down the hill. Except John had just had a major growth spurt and he still didn’t know what to do with his arms and legs, so he tripped and fell on a rock knee first.”

I’m holding my sides from laughter. I can just see in my mind’s eye a thirteen year old John running wildly down a hill, a swarm of angry bees after him.

“Ok, as happy as it makes me to see my two favourite ladies bonding, I think that story time is over.”

“John, move over a bit please? You’re sitting on my thigh.”

“I can’t go over anymore, I’ll squish your mother. You can sit on my lap, if your uncomfortable.”

“Are you aware that we’re in the middle of a crowded restaurant and that our mothers are on either side of us,” I whisper.

“Yes, I’m perfectly aware. I’m not going to do anything, I just want you to be comfortable.”

“I’m fine. Forget I said anything.”

“You are not. I bet your thigh is going numb by now.”

“No it isn’t.”

Yes it is.

“Yes it is, Evangeline. But do whatever you want.”

“I don’t what the big deal is Vange. If“ ”

I glare at Layla. “If I hear one more word about it, I’m going to super glue your butt to Antonio’s lap, see how much you like that.”

I say excuse me to Eve, who stands, and then I scoot out of the booth, heading to the bathroom. I splash cold water on my face, and stare at my image in the mirror.

I have no idea what just came over me. It wasn’t fair to snap at Layla or to involve Antonio in a conversation that wasn’t even about him. I step out of the bathroom, where of course, John is waiting right outside the door.

“What was that outburst really about Evangeline?”

“I don’t like putting on a show John. You know that. What ever I do, whenever I do is because I want to. I felt uncomfortable enough without you making it worse.”

“Are you uncomfortable because my mother is here or is it because of what my mother heard?”

“Both. None. I don’t know John. Why do you feel you have to prove anything to our families? Why can’t we just be?”

He laughs and I’m sorely tempted to hit him. Talking about the marriage issue always leaves me in a bad mood for days, and these unexpected visits from our mothers just has me on edge. I can’t help feeling like this is a set-up.

“Hon, I’m not trying to prove anything to our families. Or friends or the rest of the world for that matter. I’m trying to prove something to you. Every one but you seems convinced that I love you enough to want to marry you and spend the rest of my life with you. And your opinion is the only one that counts.”

“You think Natalie is convinced of our love for each other? Namely your love for me?”

“Natalie is not an issue right now and as far as I’m concerned, she won’t be one. So stop using her as an issue when you feel too vulnerable around me. Stop trying to make me retreat.”

I sigh. “Sorry. Look, right here is really not the place to discuss this. I promise when we get home we can talk about it, but right now, can we just go back outside and enjoy our lunch?”

“Sure thing.”

He leans over and kisses me on the forehead tenderly before taking my hand in his. When we return to the table, Layla looks at me warily and asks, “Are you okay, or are you going to threaten to super glue another of my body parts to Antonio?”

“I’m okay. I’m sorry I got mad at you. And Antonio, I’m sorry I threatened to torture you.”

We all laugh as Layla rolls her eyes and says, “Yeah, you’re right back to your old self. Lame jokes and all.”

Finally our food arrives and we all start to eat heartily. When I finish mine, I snag a few fries from John’s plate, just to show him that I’m not still mad at him. He smiles and shakes his head, and Mom looks like she’s trying to resist the urge to tell me not to do that.

“Hey Layla, didn’t you say that you had something to tell us all?”

Layla grins at Antonio and I know that she didn’t forget, she was just waiting for someone to ask.

“I, Layla Therese“ Michael if you say anything, I’m gonna give you a punch to remember“ Williamson, am going to be a star!”

“That’s great baby! What are you starring in?”

It’s great that Mom is actively taking more of an interest in our adult lives without actually meddling like she used to. Before we hated to tell her anything because we knew she would want to add her two cents worth, but lately I think that she’s realized that even if she thinks that something one of us is doing is a mistake, she has to let us make it.

“I have the lead in a version of Romeo and Juliet. It’s set in the pre- Civil War South, and the play is for a fairly well known theater in New York City. I’ll have to commute to go rehearsals and stuff, but I think that it’s a great opportunity.”

“Of course I’m getting front row seats for Opening Night, right,” Michael asks.

“Yeah, only if you promise not to do anything stupid and embarrass me.”

“When have I ever embarrassed you?”

“Let me see. How about last night when that guy was hitting on me at the bar and you completely scared him off?”

“Ok, you two, quit it. Layla congratulations. I’m proud of you, sis. I know that this can be the big break that you need and deserve.”

I reach across the table to hug her quickly.

“Congratulations Layla. Be sure to tell me when Opening Night is ahead of time so I can get the night off.”

Layla grins at John and my heart swells with pride and love for this man. I can count on one hand how many times any of my former boyfriends showed any interest in my sister. And here’s a man who has completely taken her in, treating her like she’s his own little sister.

As we laugh and joke around, I observe my friends and family and think to myself,’I could get used to this.’
Take These Chains From My Heart by jovanangel87
Chapter 11: Take These Chains From My Heart

(John’s POV)


Evangeline and I have been awake since the sun rose two hours ago, but we still haven’t gone further than the bathroom to take a shower. We argued all night last night, until I finally decided to drop the subject so we could get some sleep. But I won’t leave this room until I find some way to get through to her.

I don’t know how I can convince her that there is nothing I want more in this world than what we’re doing right now. Lazing in bed on a Saturday morning, alone and in our own little bubble of love and happiness.

Evangeline lays stretched across my legs, an ultra fine point permanent marker in her hand. She’s gone from pondering ideas on how to get Cristian out of prison, to doodling on her legal pad, to doodling on my leg. I smile at her and reach to touch the heart that she just finished filling in, then stroke her hair gently.

“You know I’m thinking of getting another tattoo.”

She turns her head so she’s facing me, peering out at me through a veil of hair. “Oh yeah? Of what?”

“Your name.”

Immediately, she sits up and pulls away from me, wrapping her robe tightly around her. “I can’t take this anymore, John. I’m never going to get married, and you can’t change that.”

I regard her calmly. “Evangeline, I want to get your name tattooed on me, that wasn’t a marriage proposal.”

“I don’t want you to do it John. And you can’t tell me that this has nothing to do with what we’ve been fighting about for the past month.”

“Fine, it does have some relation to our marriage issue. But I’m trying to get you to see my point of view here. What is the big problem why you can’t accept that I want to marry you?”

Evangeline gives me a desperate look and snaps, “I never said that I don’t believe that of you. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe the problem is that I don’t want to marry you? I’m a defense attorney, you’re a police lieutenant with a volatile temper. It’s only a matter of time before a huge case pushes us away, and then where are all of our plans for eternal bliss then?”

I tuck her hair behind her ears and tenderly tip her chin up so that we’re eye to eye. I search her eyes before saying softly, “Sweetie, for the sake of our relationship, I’m going to pretend that you never said that.”

“Well that’s our problem, John. That right there. You ignore me whenever I say things that you don’t want to hear.”

“You want to marry me. I know that you do. Just as much as I want to marry you, which is why I don’t believe you.”

“Believe it.”

“I don’t.”

“You should. I don’t want to get married!”

“Bullshit!”

She stares at me with her mouth wide open, the protest at the tip of her tongue long killed off by shock. After a few seconds, she gets out of the bed and ties her robe, then starts walking to the door.

“Evangeline, come here a minute, please?”

She stops at the door and hesitates momentarily, before turning back and coming to stand in front of me. I pull her back down on the bed and kiss her on the tip of her nose lightly, then her lips. “I love you. And I don’t believe a word of what you just said in the past two minutes. But you should believe that I am going to bring this up every day until you are so sick and tired of arguing, you’re going to stop being so stubborn and agree with me. Your stubbornness and independence draw me to you among other things, but I’m not going to let you let those qualities pull away from this. You’re independent, I get that, but I get the distinct feeling that you need me as much as I need you. And you’re too damn stubborn to give up on us anyway.”

“John....”

I put my fingers to her lips, shushing her. “You can make your dramatic exit now. I won’t be annoyed if you slam the door this time. I’ll be right behind you, as I’ll always be.”

She stands up and leaves the room quietly. I grab a pair of sweats from off the chaise and pull them on as I’m stepping out the room. Evangeline isn’t in the living room, so I head for the kitchen, where I can smell the coffee already brewing. A handbag thrown on the coffee table alerts me that Layla is here as well.

“Morning Layla. When did you get here?”

“You want some coffee?” I nod and she gets down a mug and pours some coffee out, handing it to me.
“I got here this morning, I thought you and Vange would have gone to work already. I actually didn’t know you two were here until you two started in on the yelling again. Do you swear at my sister on a regular basis?”

I blush and turn to Evangeline. “Sorry about that, I didn’t mean to get that upset.”

“Don’t apologize. I was being bitchy and I deliberately tried to hurt you.”

I look at Layla, who widens here eyes. “She told me she didn’t want to marry me.”

“As if anyone would believe that.”

“Hey Layla, you wanna hear something I just figured out about your sister?”

“Okay, I’ll bite.”

“She’s a commitment phobe. I told her I wanted to get a tattoo of her name and she got mad.”

“I could’ve told you that. You really need to stop having these arguments, I don’t want the neighbours to hate me. I’m going to live in this apartment when you and my sister move in.”

“Were you listening to me at all Layla? I can’t convince her to let me write her name on my arm, much less to move in with me.”

“But I’m going to help you to convince my sister.”

“Um, hello? I’m still here, you might want to plot about me when I’m gone.”

“We would never talk about you behind your back Evangeline. When you’re gone, we talk about other things.”

Evangeline sticks her tongue out at Layla and then at me. I pull her nearer to me and wrap my arms around her waist.

“It’s not like I don’t know you plan our wedding in your head. That strapless princess cut dress, ivory silk with gold embroidery at the hem.”

“Empire waisted,” she says absent-mindedly, trying to take a sip of my coffee without me noticing.

“One, get your own and two, I got you. You just dug a ditch and fell in it.”

“I have no clue what you’re talking about. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it,” she calls as she leaves the kitchen. After finishing the last gulps of my coffee, I follow her.

“You’re really starting to get under my skin, John.”

I sit on the bed and watch her get dressed with a smile. “I like that.”

“Seriously, I’m in a good mood right now. I would like to stay that way so we can have a pleasant lunch with our mothers. I don’t want a repeat of yesterday, thank you very much. Your mother probably thinks that I’m crazy.”

“I think that the whole of Llanview thinks that you’re crazy to be in love with me.”

“Maybe I am crazy. You’re going to drive me to drink about this marriage issue, and I think I’m going to let you.”

I walk up behind her and take the brush out of her hand, running it through her hair gently. I study our reflections in the mirror, the difference in our skin tones and the way we complement each other. “I’m glad that you’re going to let me, though I’m pretty sure that I won’t drive you to drink.”

“That’s good to know.”

I smirk at her, our eyes catching in the mirror. “I’m still getting that tattoo though.”
Girl Talk? Part I by jovanangel87
(Evangeline’s POV)

I roll over in the bed and place a pillow over my head. Normally the bright sunlight streaming into my bedroom wakes me up and makes me thankful for another beautiful day, but today I have a piercing headache and my rolling over just set off a wave of nausea.

I jump off the bed and run to the bathroom, nearly breaking my neck over one of John’s shoes, but I make it in there just in time to completely empty my stomach of it’s contents. After a few minutes I raise up and brush my teeth. I’ve been able to ignore the sore throat for a week, and the constant headaches and nausea for three days, but I think it’s official now. I really am sick. At least whatever I have decided to wait to get full blown until after Mom left, since I didn’t start feeling really bad until last night.

I drag myself back into the room to find John propped up on his elbows, a concerned look on his face.

“Are you okay?”

“I almost killed myself over your shoes, but I’m fine.”

He smiles and pulls me into the bed next to him. “I heard you throwing up, and you feel like you have a fever. You can’t deny that you’re sick anymore.”

I groan. “You’re right. I feel like crap. I want my Mommy.”

“You sound like you’re four years old. What, I’m not good enough to take care of you now?”

I give him a long look. “I suppose you’ll do.”

“Oh well, I’ll take what I can get. Where’s the thermometer? I need to take your temperature.”

I move away from him and turn my head so he can’t see my face. I hate the ear thermometer, but I never remember that it’s the only one I have until I need it. “I don’t know where it is, but I’m pretty sure that my temperature is pretty low. I just need some cold fluids.”

John ignores me and rummages through the nightstand drawer, which is exactly where the thermometer is. I close my eyes and try not to wiggle when John puts it in my ear.

“Hold still Evangeline. Your temperature is 102.9 ∘F, which means that you’re staying home from work today.”

Oh no he didn’t. “Excuse me?”

John rolls his eyes. “Oh come on Evangeline. You don’t feel well, and you can barely see straight. Just stay home today, and I’m sure you’ll be better by tomorrow.”

“I’ll stay home only if you’ll stay home with me.”

“If you had admitted you were sick last night, I could taken the day off, but now it’s too late. I’ll come check on you during my lunch break though.”

He looks so upset about it, and yet, I can’t help messing with his head a little. “Fine,” I pout, “Go to work. Because saving every one in Llanview is more important than taking care of your sick girlfriend.”

John gets out of the bed and kisses me lightly on the forehead before going into the bathroom saying, “That was a low blow Evangeline. You know I feel bad enough that I have to leave you here, sick and defenceless, but now you’re playing on my guilt about the fire. That’s just wrong.”

I groan and get out of the bed and stand in the bathroom door. “John, you know I didn’t mean that. I was kidding for goodness sakes. You know, ha-ha, gotcha?”

All too late I realize that John has in fact gotten me. But that’s okay, he’ll pay.

“Seriously though, we shouldn’t joke about that. What’s in the past is in the past, and we’ve both forgiven each other our mistakes, right?”

I smile and move closer to John. I really shouldn’t. I should take into consideration the fact that I’m sick and contagious. And we are both weak when it comes to resisting each other’s advances. And John has to be st work in an hour. And the combination of being this close to him while he’s half naked and me being sick has left me so weak that the doorframe can’t do that good a job of holding me up. But I do it anyway. I reach up and pull John into a sultry kiss.

“So, have we forgiven each other for our mistakes?”

He laughs and nods rapidly. “Yeah. Come shower with me.”

“I’m sick John. You’re gonna catch something.”

“I think that ship has sailed. So come on.”

“Okay.”

What? It is very hard to think of effective arguments when a very sexy and attentive man is raining kisses all over your neck and shoulders. Did I mention that his whole upper body is exposed and glistening with water that he’s also splashed all over the sink? Well it is, and it’s a sight beautiful enough to make me forget that I’m sick.

Needless to say, John was very late for work. After he leaves, I curl up in bed and contemplate going to sleep, but I’m too wired right bow. At the risk of being corny, my nausea is much worse, now that John is gone. Then again, it could be because I ate most of his bagel, and it was soggy with butter. And since I’m now fighting the urge to throw up, I think that may be it.

Three hours later, I feel a lot better, thanks to Pepto Bismol, ginger ale and some cough syrup that’s supposed to numb my throat. But I feel like I’m going to go out of my mind if I watch another hour of daytime television. I’m pretty sure that I’ll reverse the effects of the Pepto Bismol if I watch one more episode of “A Baby Story”. As it is, I don’t think I’ll be having sex anytime soon.

....who am I kidding?

I brush my hair into a ponytail, taking ten extra minutes to try to make it look messy, and then another ten to get it neat again. I pull on a pair of jeans and a white baby tee, but decide to forego the high heels. I wouldn’t want to fall on my face, so a pair of black flip-flops completes my outfit.

I opt to take a cab, since I am not as crazy as every one seems to think I am. I know better than to operate heavy machinery under the influence of cough syrup. I read directions. And follow them occasionally. I get the driver to let me out in front of Capricorn, which he was all too willing to do. I think I freaked him out a little when I kept laughing to myself.

“Evangeline!”

I glance up at the sound of my name, and see Antonio at the bar waving at me. I smile and go over.

“Hey Antonio, what’s up?”

“You tell me. What are you doing out of bed?”

I feign confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“John told me you would try something like this. You need to be at home resting.”

I sit down heavily on a stool, hoping that Antonio won’t notice that I’m dizzy. “I’m fine Antonio. I can be up and about. I’m not going to die.”

“But you will pass out. You’re not slick Evangeline. I saw that.”

“I’m bored at home. I don’t have anything to do.”

Antonio looks around the thinning lunchtime crowd and smiles. “Tell you what. I’m going to take you back home, and if you promise not to give me a hard time, I’ll stay with you until John comes home from work.”

I grin and reach across the bar to hug him. “Thank you Antonio. I promise not to be a pain in the ass.”

“You sure that’s possible?”

I laugh and he comes around the bar to help me off the stool. I’m not even going to lie to myself and say that I didn’t need his help, because at this point, I really did. The thing that no one understands about being sick is that you may feel fine walking around your house, but once you get outside and all those inside noises and smells hit you, you’re not going to be feeling so good.


We get back to my apartment with as little incident as we could have managed. The biggest thing was that someone cut Antonio off, and like me and Layla, he has terrible road rage. He was still carrying on about it when we got upstairs.

“That damn idiot could have gotten us all killed!”

“Calm down Antonio. It’s really not that serious. We’re alive and well.”

“Are you kidding me? If anything happens to you when you’re with me, John would kill me himself. The man is nuts about you, and he’d do anything to protect you and keep you safe.”

I sit down on the couch and putt my feet up. Antonio sits on the floor, his head resting beside my knee.

“So speaking of protecting people, I’ve noticed that you’ve been pretty protective of my baby sister as of late. You guys have been getting very close. What’s up with that?”

“We’re friends Evangeline. She crashes at my place some nights when she’s had a late shift and is too tired to get here, but that’s it.”

I smile. “Yeah....no. I don’t believe you.”

“You should.”

“Antonio, something’s going on there. I know you and I know my sister, so stop trying to fool me.”

“Evangeline, I still love Jess.”

“I know you do. I wouldn’t have brought up this conversation if I didn’t think that you were still in love with Jessica. I’m generally not a very nosey friend or sister.”

He raises his eyebrows. “I don’t know what’s going on with me and your sister. There’s something there, I don’t know if it’s just very close friendship or the beginnings of romantic feelings.”

Why, God, why? Why must I choose the clueless one’s that don’t know their feet from their hands when it comes to love? I’m starting to sense a pattern here.

“Antonio, what we have is very close friendship. Talking about our relationships, our lives, our problems and trying to solve them together sometimes. Don’t take this the wrong way, but I don’t want to kiss you. I love you, but my stomach doesn’t do flip flops or other abnormal things when we’re together. Those are romantic feelings. Do you want to kiss my sister Antonio?”

He blushes, as I knew he would, but doesn’t say anything.

“You want to hug her. You want to kiss her,”I chant.

“Evangeline, please don’t go all Gracie Hart on me. Por favor.”

“What do you know about “Miss Congeniality”?”

“Layla made me watch it. She says it’s the funniest movie known to man. But I still think that the funniest movie I’ve ever seen was “Bad Boys”.”

“And that’s why you’re my bet guy friend. And don’t pay Layla any mind. She fell on her head a lot when she was learning how to walk.”

“Is it possible to be in love with two people at once Evangeline?” he asks abruptly.

“I don’t know Antonio. I’ve never experienced it, or been in that situation. But you are not in love with my sister, I know that much.”

“That’s true. I’m not. But for some strange reason, I can see myself falling in love with her. And I feel like I’m betraying Jess. But the longer she’s gone, the more that I realize we aren’t right for each other. She’s gone God knows where and she obviously didn’t trust me to help her with whatever problem she’s got. Last summer when the whole Santi mess was going down, I just kept getting deeper and deeper until I didn’t know what to do. I’m not saying that I wasn’t wrong, because I was wrong for a lot of the things that I did. But at that time, I needed a woman who would’ve told me to take my head out of my ass before she had to smack it out for me. Layla would’ve, that’s exactly what she said she would have told me. She’s good for me, she’s not going to let me walk all over her, she’ll draw boundaries, and I’ll remember them. But me and Jess, we destroyed us as a whole a long time ago, and if we try to stay together, we’re only going to poison each other.”

“Don’t use my sister as your life buoy. If you want her, you want her, and if you love her you love her, but tell her that. She’s not like me Antonio, she’s impatient. It’s what I love and hate about her. If she thinks she’s going to get hurt, she’s going to do one of two things. She’ll fight back and hurt you first or she’ll run away. Since coming to Llanview, and getting to know you, I’ve come to think of you and Michael as my brothers. I love you man, but you hurt my sister and I’ll hurt you. Physically. And that’s not a threat, it’s a promise, so tread carefully.”

“I have every intention of walking the straight and narrow where Layla is concerned. Right now, Jamie and Cristian are my number one concerns. We’re going to get my baby girl back, my brother out of jail and then I’ll deal with my messed up love life.”

“Layla might not wait that long. Just talk to her, she’ll understand what you’re going through and she’ll try to help make it easier for you. That’s how she is. But don’t leave her in the dark about your feelings or else you might not like that happens.”

“Duly noted.”

I turn the TV back on and put the channel on Nickelodeon, where Sponge Bob Squarepants is on. I can hold my own in a conversation about cartoons with any child, I watch most of them. My grandfather used to drop anything he was doing if you told him that Charlie Brown was on, so maybe my love of cartoons is inherited. And Antonio has Jamie, so he’s used to this by now. I highly doubt that he watches many grown-up show these days.

After a few minutes, Antonio says, “You do realize that you told me exactly how Layla feels and she’s going to kill you when she finds out that you blabbed. She’s managed to keep it secret for this long, and she’s going to be mad that her air of mystery is gone.”

She’ll be glad I told him. As forward as she is about my feelings, she hates talking about her own. But I’m not going to give away every thing about her. Let Antonio do some work.

“I’m sure I’ll have protection when the time comes. Or you could just not tell her.”

I look up, frightened, as the front door to my apartment slams open. John stands in the door frame, looking about as pissed as I’ve ever seen him, and I resolve to try very hard to not look guilty.

“Hey, John, you’re home early.”

“Evangeline Simone Williamson! What the hell is wrong with you?”
"Girl Talk" part II by jovanangel87
Chapter 13
(John’s POV)

After Antonio calls me without Evangeline’s knowledge, a slick move which I give him much props for, I go into Bo’s office and explain to him the situation about Evangeline being sick. I don’t add in the part about her not listening to a word I said to her before I left, since I don’t particularly feel in the mood for being laughed at for expecting Evangeline to actually listen to something I said.

Bo gives me the rest of the day off, as well as tomorrow, so I can go home and make sure that Evangeline stays home and gets better. I guess everyone in Llanview knows Evangeline a little better than I thought. I call out thanks and rush into the main office, where I literally run into Natalie.

Damn. Could my day get any worse?

“Sorry Natalie, I didn’t see you there.”

She smiles and bats her eyelashes as I hand her the files she dropped when I collided with her. “Trust me, it was no problem. But I do need to talk to you privately for a few minutes.”

I glance at my watch and since I do still feel bad about the whole Cristian debacle, I’m about to tell her yes, when I remember how she was going to use the information that I gave her, not to get her husband back in her life, but to come in between me and Evangeline. That and the fact that the last time Evangeline was sick, even though I didn’t know that, I knew she was mad at me, and yet like a knucklehead, I wasted valuable time at the station making sure that Natalie’s feelings weren’t too hurt by something that wasn’t happening, and even if it was, was non of her business. When Evangeline and I got back together, I promised her and myself that I would never let someone else’s feelings come before her own, and I mean to keep that promise.

“Actually Natalie, if you want to talk, you’re going have to wait until I come back in to work. I have to take care of something really important right now.”

I smirk slightly, thinking about how Evangeline would react, hearing herself referred to as ‘something’. She probably wouldn’t like it, but I do not want Natalie to go into another “Why her, why not me?” spiel. I think my ears would melt if I heard it again.

“John this is really important. Can’t you just give me five minutes?”

“Look Natalie, not everything in this world revolves around you, and not everyone is going to drop everything and run just because you want them at that particular moment. You need to learn to work through your own stuff by yourself sometimes. I know that I encouraged it, this sick relationship we had, but I thought I was paying my penance for what I did to you and Cristian. It’s all over now, and I’m not putting up with this any more. If you want to be a friend, be a friend and start looking out for other people’s happiness.”

She rolls her eyes and says, “This is about Evangeline isn’t it? I know she told you to say all of those things to me, but I’m willing to forgive you. It’s obvious that Evangeline isn’t as secure as you would like her to be if she’s jealous of our relationship. But then again there is a good reason for her to be jealous of us.”

“There is no us Natalie. We’re friends, but if you keep this crap up with Evangeline, we won’t even be that. Evangeline sees that our previous relationship was unhealthy for all parties engaged, and so does all of Llanview save for Roxy, who’s still got her head to far up in the crowds. Even Rex, your former partner in crime knows that by now. Speaking of which, don’t think that I forgot Natalie, that if you and Rex hadn’t pulled that stunt, I would have never left the Palace and Evangeline wouldn’t have been kidnapped. Neither would you have been for that matter, with Llanfair so heavily secured.”

She smiles widely. “But I’ve heard that you left Evangeline’s award ceremony in a rush to come save me, and you nearly lost your mind looking for me when I was kidnapped a second time.”

“You know what Natalie, think what you will. I nearly lost my mind, yes, but that’s because it’s what I do. I nearly lost my life when Evangeline was kidnapped and I mean that in any way you can take it. You want to go put yourself in danger again, to prove me wrong? Go ahead. But I wouldn’t recommend it, because I’m really starting to think that I won’t care,” I hiss, before walking down the hall.

I glance at my watch and curse softly under my breath. Natalie just took up a whole ten minutes of my time. As I have no reason to explain myself to her, I resolve that next time I’ll just tell her I’m busy.

I get into my car, still worked up about Natalie. And thinking about it isn’t helping me much, because by the time I get to Evangeline’s apartment, I’m doubly pissed. Evangeline should have known better than to go out by herself when she was sick, especially since I know for a fact two times this morning she had a dizzy spell. And I feel really guilty for leaving her home alone while she’s sick.

But when I get inside, and open the door, Evangeline looks up, shocked and I can’t help noticing that she looks worse than she did this morning despite the fact that she’s smiling and laughing with Antonio.

“Hey John, you’re home early.”

“Evangeline Simone Williamson! What the hell is wrong with you?”

She stares at me with her mouth wide open, visibly confused. Antonio takes it upon himself to try to diffuse the situation, by nudging Evangeline’s leg lightly. “So that’s your middle name. I don’t know why you wouldn’t tell me what it was. It’s pretty; One Who Listens. And it’s fitting for your personality too.”

“Except that she doesn’t listen to any one.”

Evangeline seems to have recovered, because she turns back to the TV and says, “ I don’t know what prompted you to burst in here and start carrying on like that, but I suggest you go back outside and start all over again, if you know what’s good for you.”

Antonio looks back and forth at us, confused by the turn of events. Evangeline will ignore me for the rest of the night if I let her, so of course I’m not going to let her.

“Evangeline, can you come here a minute?”

“I seem to recall me telling you to go back outside.”

“And I seem to recall me ignoring that command. Now can you some here a minute?”

“You can’t just come in here and yell at me and then expect me to do whatever you say.”

I know she’s mad I yelled at her, but there is no reason for her to not look at me when I’m talking to her. She can’t be that mad, but that is usually a very effective way to hide tears or fatigue from me.

“Evangeline, why would you leave the house, by yourself, knowing that you were sick and that I expressly asked you to stay home and get some rest?”

“I felt better John. And you left me home all alone.”

“And I’m sorry about that. You know I am. Can you just come here?”

“No!”

“EVANGELINE, NOW.”

“Man if she’s sick, and you’re so worried, why are you yelling at her? If she clocks you, I’m going to help.”

Evangeline rises to her feet, using Antonio’s shoulder to help, and stalks over to me. She grabs me by the upper arm and drags me to the hallway in front of her room.

“You know I really feel like crap right now, and I was having a really good time with Antonio. So why don’t you go back to work, because I really don’t have the strength to deal with your friggin mail posturing.”

“You look like hell. Why don’t you go lay down for a little bit? Have you eaten at all?”

“Maybe if you were here you would know that the bagel you practically force fed me this morning only made me throw up more, so to answer your question. No , I haven’t eaten all day. I can’t keep anything down.”

“I didn’t force feed you anything, you took my bagel, even though I told you not to eat it. And I don’t see why you’re so hung up on me not having been here when you said it was fine before.”

“You weren’t here John, yet you proceed to yell at me. I’m not a child, nor am I the type of woman who lets a man walk all over her and you know that. I understand that you’re worried about me but“

“But what Evangeline?”

She blinks rapidly and shakes her head. “But that isn’t a reason to act like you’ve lost your mind. I don’t know what’s wrong with you, but you need to fix it, and think about how you address me while you’re at it.”

God, I’m such a jerk sometimes. “I’m sorry, Evangeline. I shouldn’t yell at you because I feel guilty that I didn’t put you before my work, even though I promised you that you would always come first to me. And then I proceeded to waste time letting Natalie annoy the hell out of me. I really“ Evangeline?”

She crumples slowly and I catch her before her head hits the floor. I shake her shoulder lightly. “Evangeline? Evangeline?”

Her eyes flutter open for a few seconds and then close again and all my calling to her can’t get her to open her eyes.

“Antonio, press three on the speed dial, it’s Michael’s number. Tell him Evangeline just fainted and I’m bringing her in to the hospital.”

He does what I ask him to, glancing over his shoulder worriedly from time to time. My heart is telling me to go nuts with worry, but my head is telling me to stay calm, and for once I listen to my head. Acting like a madman is probably what got us into this mess in the first place.

When Antonio hangs up the phone, I pick Evangeline up carefully, and after picking up the bottle of cough syrup from the coffee table, comes to open the door.

“What’s the cough syrup for?”

“They’re probably going to want to know what she took.”

“Well I know she hasn’t taken any Tylenol. She’s burning up, I think her fever is much higher than it was this morning.”

Antonio drives while I sit in the back, cradling Evangeline in my arms. I almost have heart attack when she shivers, thinking that she was having a seizure, but luckily, I was wrong. When we finally get to the hospital, Michael meets us at the door with a gurney. I lay Evangeline down on it and step away while they wheel her into one of the trauma rooms. I turn away from the window and pace anxiously, only stopping when Antonio places a hand on my shoulder.

“Hey, man stop worrying. It’s not your fault and Evangeline is a fighter. She’ll be fine.”

“I kept telling her to get up. She probably didn’t want to because she knew she felt dizzy, but I wouldn’t stop harassing her until she got up. I yelled at her for something that wasn’t even her fault, and I’m sure that did nothing to help the situation.”

“Why were you yelling?”

“I ran into Natalie at the station. She said something that made me think about the kidnapping. And all I could think about was the look on Evangeline’s face when I saved Natalie before I saved her. She understands better than any one probably that as long as she could still fight, she had a better chance than Natalie did, but I know that it must still hurt. She made a joke about it this morning, and I didn’t take her seriously, because she said that she has long since forgiven me about it. But all day, I kept thinking to myself that she asked me to stay home with her and I told her I had to work. I put something ahead of her again, and then when you called I realized that anything could have happened to her. She went out while she was at her most vulnerable and if she hadn’t come to you, I don’t know what would have happened to her.”

“So basically you yelled at her because you would seem crazy if you yelled at yourself.”

I smile wryly. “That seems about right.”

Antonio and I look up to see my mom walking down the hall. She greets us and asks, “How is Evangeline? Michael called me and said she fainted and you were bringing her to the hospital.”

“We still don’t know yet, Mom. I hope it’s nothing too serious.”

“Okay. I’m going to get a cup of tea from the cafeteria for you two. You won’t help any if you’re both pacing around like that. The both of you need to sit down and stay in one place.”

Antonio and I both sit down as Mom turns and goes back down the hall. I turn to Antonio. “You know, you’re not obligated to listen to my mother.”

“Yeah well, she’s right.”

“Where’s Layla? I called her earlier, but I didn’t get an answer and I haven’t seen her in the past two days.”

“She’s in NY at rehearsal for her play.”

I nod and glance at Antonio with a smirk. “Why is it that I had the feeling you would know exactly where she was?”

He holds up his hands. “Don’t worry Dad, Mom already had the birds and the bees talk with me. But thanks.”

I laugh, stopping short as Michael comes out of the room.

“Michael is she okay?”

“Well she’s dehydrated and she has a temperature of 104. Why did you let it get so high, and why didn’t you make her drink something?”

“I wasn’t at home.”

Michael gives me a long look and then says, “I’m not going to give you a hard time right now, but remind me to kick your ass later for being dumb.”

“I still have first dibs,”Antonio chimes in.

“I’m not supposed to be telling you this, but I know that Evangeline would want me to.”

“She still hasn’t woken up?”

“No. She has the flu. I don’t know how or why she has the flu now, but it’s a bad one and on top of that, she has a throat infection and is currently anemic. The anemia, the dehydration and the very high fever may have contributed for her passing out, so right now we’re pumping her full of fluids to get the fever down and to get her hydrated. But it might take a while because we can’t do too much at a time, or we’ll dilute her blood too much. But as soon as we take care of those things, she’ll need to take antibiotics for a few weeks for the throat infection and the flu will go away on it’s own. Now this is very important John, and I’m going to need your help. We have to keep Evangeline over night for observation, then she can go home. But she has to stay on bed rest for a minimum of four days. I need you to explain that to her, because I somehow get the feeling that she won’t listen to me.”

“Yeha, well I’ll keep her in bed for a month if I have to.”

Michael and Antonio look at me, look at each other and begin to laugh. I personally don’t get what’s so funny, but whatever.

“You can go sit with her for a little while. We’re going to try to find her a room upstairs.”

He walks away and Antonio sits in the waiting area, saying, “You go ahead first. This might be the first time you get a word in edgewise in one of our conversations.”

I laugh and go into Evangeline’s room. She looks so small in an oversized hospital gown, with an IV hooked up to her arm. The steady beeping of the various machines keeping track of her vitals provides a low lullaby of sorts. Evangeline looks more like she’s sleeping than unconscious.

I pull up a chair next to the bed and take her hand in mine.

“You know, if Layla were here, she would want you to teach her how you did that swoon. It was perfect. Of course it scared me half out of my mind, but I guess I deserve it for yelling at you. I am sorry though. I shouldn’t have left you home alone in the first place, probably if I hadn’t we wouldn’t be here now. But when you get out of here tomorrow, you have to stay on bedrest for four days. Michael says if you don’t listen, then he’s going to admit you to the hospital for the four days, so you get to choose. Get waited on hand and foot by me and Layla, and possibly Antonio, who by the way was also very scared, or you can stay in the hospital and get waited on hand and foot for a day until the nurses realize what a terrible patient you are.

“Mom is here. She’s worried too. She went to get some tea for Antonio and I because we were pacing too much. Things like that make her nervous. I only just noticed it, but both you and Mom tap your fingers on things when you’re mad. And you both get really quiet. Which is why I prefer you yell at me than not talk to me at all. You know you can wake up now. I’ve got a surprise for you, but you can only get it if you wake up and smile at me. Feel free to yell at me or smack me in the head between the waking up and the smile, I deserve it.

“Will you wake up if I do that corny voice-over from the Cold Mountain trailer? “Come back to me.” It’s not that romantic. And I never got the book. You know if you were awake, you could ask me if I really read the book or did I get the CliffNotes for it. But I don’t think they have Cliff Notes for Cold Mountain anyway, so that would have been silly. No doubt you still would have found a way to tease me.

“Even better than a smile when you wake up would be a laugh. Your smiles and laughs are priceless, but if I had to put monetary value on them, a smile would be worth ten million dollars and a laugh would be 100 million. 200 if you added one of those cute little snorts that you do accidentally when you’ve been laughing too hard. But no I am not going to buy a smile or a laugh. I’m comfortable, but I’m not Kevin Buchanan. Besides, I like to earn them.

I gaze at her softly and she shifts, as if she actually is sleeping.

“When you get better, we’re going to make a list of all the places in the world we want to visit, and we’re going to chose a place and go there for vacation. I have vacation time coming up in a month or so, and I know you do to. Bo said to tell you to get well soon, by the way. Feel free to wake up any time now Evangeline.

“Two things I never thought I’d have to say to John McBain. Why are you so bossy and why do you talk so much? I couldn’t even stay asleep or unconscious or whatever with you yapping like that.”

I glance up at Evangeline, who’s smiling tiredly.

“You’re awake.”

“I don’t ever want to hear that I’m too stubborn or hard headed again. I woke up like you wanted me to.”

“I’m sorry. For everything back at the apartment.”

“I know you are. I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you. Believe me, I’m really sorry now. I hate needles.”

I look at the needle stuck in her arm and turn green. I really don’t like hospitals and I hate the sight of blood. The first time I had to shoot a suspect, I saw the blood, walked around where no one could see me and promptly passed out. The doctor said it was something called vaso-response. My buddies at the police academy called it being a wuss. I no longer faint at the sight of blood, but it tends to make me queasy.

“Yeah, well that’s going to have to stay in for a while.”

“I want my surprise like you promised.”

“You cut right to the chase.”

She shrugs. “Life is short.”

“Well it’s actually Mom’s surprise, and it’s partially for you and partially for Layla.”

“Wake me when they come then.”

She closes her eyes with a smile.

“You better be just going to sleep. No more passing out.”

“I promise. Now stop talking. Go tell Antonio I’m alright before he starts making bargains with God. I don’t think I’d like him so much if he stopped giving me a hard time, and that’s the first thing he’s going to promise.”

“Well we wouldn’t want that. I’ll be right back okay?”

“Do not come back in here just to watch me sleep. Please. Because then I’ll never get any rest.”

“If you say so.”

I kiss her lightly on the forehead and then go outside to tel Mom and Antonio the good news
Movie Night by jovanangel87
Chapter 14

(John’s POV)

I sigh inaudibly as Evangeline calls me yet again. I knew beforehand that she isn’t easy to be around when she’s sick, but I didn’t think that she would be quite this bad. It’s once again our turn to host movie night, and stubborn as ever, Evangeline is insisting that we hold it and not change the date. I quickly got frustrated with her watching me clean the living room, since she’s so finicky about where everything goes and made me move things a billion and one times, so I told her she looked tired and quickly put her in the bed with a stack of magazines and a novel.

I know, lying is wrong, but I was going crazy. And Layla and her teasing about me wearing the apron in this relationship aren’t helping.

“John, didn’t you hear me calling you?”

I look up to see Evangeline standing in the living room, looking quite upset.

“I was coming in a minute. Let’s get you back to bed, and then you can tell me what you want, okay?”

I take hold of her elbow and lead her back into the room. “You were ignoring me on purpose, weren’t you?”

“No Evangeline. I swear I was coming in a minute. You barely gave me time to respond before you came out here.”

“Am I being annoying?”

My dad was telling the truth when he told me that loving a woman is the hardest thing I’ll ever have to do. I should tell her the truth, but she is sick and miserable, and saying yes would probably hurt her feelings.

“No. Get back into bed, okay?”

She gets back into the bed and smiles. “I wish I was being annoying, it would serve you right for making me stay in bed all day for the past two days.”

“That’s really nice of you Evangeline.”

“Can you bring me a frozen fruit bar, please? It makes my throat feel better.”

I nod and leave the room. I walk into the kitchen, where the smell of fried chicken is making my mouth water. I ignore the smirk that Layla gives me from where she’s standing over the hot oil and retrieve s strawberry fruit bar from the freezer. I grab a handful of napkins and Evangeline’s medicine from the counter and bring it all back into the room.

“Here you go hon. It’s time for your medicine too, don’t forget to take that.”

She looks at the fruit bar in my outstretched hand and then looks it me. “I wanted lime.”

“So why didn’t you“ forget it. I’ll be right back.”

As I leave the room, I could swear I hear her chuckle, but when I stick my head back in, she looks up at me innocently. I go back into the kitchen and glance at Layla, who’s shaking her head and laughing.

“What?”

“My sister is probably the only person in the world who could put you through this crap for this long without you losing your temper. I would have locked her in a closet by now.”

“I think that’s called suicide, she’d kill me. Or you for that matter.”

I get the lime fruit bar from the fridge and return to the bedroom to find that in my short absence, Evangeline has fallen fast asleep. Thank God. I sit down on the bed beside her and brush her hair back from her face carefully. I’m glad to see that she fell asleep happy; there’s a big grin still on her face. She snuggles her cheek into my palm and sighs contentedly before rolling over onto her stomach and hugging her pillow. I smile and pull a thin sheet over her and go back into the living room.

Hours later, Antonio, Michael, Layla and I are watching a cooking show, pretty much the only thing on in the middle of the afternoon on a Sunday. Layla’s been telling Antonio and Michael about how Evangeline has been amusing herself for the past two days, and they’re of course laughing and teasing me.

I don’t mind though, I like taking care of Evangeline, even when she’s being difficult. While I may not like the fact that she’s sick, her added vulnerability makes her open up a lot more. I’ve discovered since we’ve gotten back together that Evangeline may have pressured me a lot to open up, but it is not something that she enjoys doing herself. Just getting her to have a real conversation with me about why she’s so afraid of marriage took me months, but when we did talk, I came away from it knowing a lot more about why Evangeline is the way she is. And although in the past couple of days, I’ve been playing errand boy, we have shared some insightful conversations about our relationship. We discussed our dreams, past and present, for ourselves and for each other and I discovered that Evangeline hasn’t been on a vacation since her last year of high school, when she went to Hawaii with her family to celebrate her graduation. I completely intend to change that.

“Nurse McBain. Ohh Nurse McBain.”

I look towards the door, where Evangeline’s voice is coming from, and roll my eyes. Antonio and Michael are literally on the floor shrieking with laughter and any minute now, Layla’s going to join them. I get off the couch and go into the bedroom.

“You know, that’s really not funny, Evangeline.”

She grins mischievously at me. “What? Every one else seems to think it is. As a matter of fact, you’d probably look really cute in a naughty nurse outfit.”

I pick up the bottle of cough syrup from her night stand and examine the contents. “How much of this did you take, hon?”

“Ha. Ha,” she deadpans.

“Now you know how I feel.”

“Well that’s what you get for keeping me in my room all day with nothing but a few magazines, that I must have read ten times already. You wouldn’t even confine me to the living room where the TV is, so I have to some up with ways not to go out of my mind with boredom. Are Nora and Eve here yet?”

“No, they both called and said that they would be here in twenty minutes, which basically means that you have about an hour to get ready.”

She laughs. “Okay. I’m going to go take a shower.”

“Okay.”

She stares at me for a few seconds. “Okay, so can you give me a little privacy? Unless you’re planning on showering with me?”

I raise my eyebrows and grin. “Is that an invitation?”

“Would you just go outside please. I don’t need you to baby-sit me continually.”

“I’m going.”

When I step back into the living room, Antonio and Layla are talking and Michael is intently watching the television. I sit on one of the chairs, and with in a few seconds, Michael glances over at me and asks, “So nursie poo, did you give the patient a sedative?”

“Could you pretend just for a second that you’re older than a 12 year old? Gosh, even Jamie acts more maturely than you do sometimes.”

I smile at Layla in appreciation. “Thanks Layla.”

“Any time man. My grandmother was a nurse, so I know they’re vastly under-appreciated.”

I throw a pillow at her. “That was just wrong.”

“What? Every woman loves a man in uniform. Especially scrubs. Easy to get on, easy to get off...or so I hear.”

“I’m not even going to go there with you Layla.”

“You better not. I’m not too sure that Vange would like it.”

Antonio holds up his hands. “Okay you guys, play nice.”

“Well she started with me.”

Layla puts her hands on her hips. “I did not start anything with you, it was Michael.”

“Well I’m stopping it, okay? See John, this is why you could never be a school nurse,” Antonio says with a grin, high fiving Layla.

Nora and Mom actually do get here within about fifteen minutes, and after a while, Evangeline emerges from her bedroom in a pair of shorts and a tank top, with her hair flowing down her shoulders. It’s still wet and curly from the shower, and the water is slowly dripping down the exposed part of her back in little rivulets. She immediately goes over to Mom to greet her with a hug.

“Hi Eve, I’m so glad you could make it.”

“And miss the chance to get to spend time with you and my sons? Besides, I have an excuse now to see how you’re doing, John insisted that visitors would infect you.”

“Shouldn’t it be the other way around? I’m the sick one.”

“My son doesn’t always use all of his brain.”

I go over and separate them, before they start swapping “Dumb John” stories. It truly makes me happy that Mom has taken to Evangeline so quickly. She spoke to Evangeline once on the phone before, but it was a brief conversation and once Evangeline started laughing, I took the phone back from her. I can never tell what my mother is going to say to somebody, and for all I know, she could have been telling Evangeline about the time I got arrested for indecent exposure. It wasn’t my fault though that Michael has a twisted sense of humor.

“Okay, ladies, why don’t you both sit down and I’ll get you something to eat.”

They acquiesce and I go into the kitchen to fix two plates for them. When I return, everyone is sitting down watching the previews, probably at Layla’s insistence. I don’t know why she likes watching them, but every time someone tries to fast forward through them, she just rewinds the whole movie.

I hand Evangeline and Mom their plates and sit in the couch next to Evangeline, pulling her closer to me. I expect her to resist, since she still has trouble with displays of affection in front on Mom, even though she has no problem with them in front of her mother. But instead, she smiles and moves over until she’s curled up comfortably in my lap. I hold her plate for her while she makes herself comfortable, and when she takes it back from me, she kisses me on the cheek softly and whispers, “That’s for giving you a hard time.”

I smile and inhale the fruity smell of her shampoo.

“What movie are we watching,”Nora asks, trying to ignore the fact that Evangeline is insistently poking her in the side.

“Ray.”

“Oh, there is a God,” Antonio mutters. The last few movie nights, we called ourselves being gentlemen and we let the ladies choose the movies. We got stuck watching all romantic movies.

“Evangeline, stop poking me. Jeez, John how much medication did you let her take?”

“I gave her the amount she was supposed to take.”

“Somehow, I don’t believe that.”

The actual movie starts and we all stop teasing each other to watch. But when the first love scene in the movie comes up, Michael covers Layla’s eyes and says, “Could you keep it PG? There are children present.”

“It’s not like we haven’t all seen John and Evangeline do worse,” Nora quips. Mom studiously pretends that she didn’t hear that, for which I silently thank her. It would have been embarrassing had she responded.

Evangeline laughs, and I pull her closer to me and nestle her head under my chin. I take her hand in mine, admiring once again how well we compliment each other. We look right together and we fit together like perfect puzzle pieces.
Clockers by jovanangel87
Chapter 15

(John’s POV)

I barely look up from the television when Evangeline storms into her apartment and yells, “Layla Williamson, get your butt in here right now!”

“She locked herself in the guest room, and I don’t think she has plans on coming out until you eventually fall asleep. She thinks that you’re going to kill her.”

Evangeline puts her pocketbook on the end table and sinks down into the couch next to me, putting her head in her hands. “That’s because I am going to kill her.”

“Tell me when, I don’t want to be a witness.”

“Don’t you want to know why I suddenly want to kill my sister?”

“Don’t I get a hello, or a kiss or maybe even a hug first?”

She smiles and kisses me on the cheek lightly. “Sorry, John.”

“To answer your question, I know why you want to kill her because she had to explain why I came over here and found her packing her suitcases.”

Evangeline wordlessly jumps out of the chair and stalks down the hall to the door of the guest room and knocks on the door. “Layla, open the damn door before I break it. I am not playing with you.”

“Evangeline come away from the door, she’s not going to come out if you’re scaring her. And right now, you’re sorta scaring me.”

She amazingly complies and comes back into the living room to wear a hole in her carpet in front of me. I’m not stupid enough to ask her to move so I can see the TV, so I just move from side to side so I can see the screen. A few minutes later, Layla emerges from the guest room.

“Evangeline, I’m a grown woman and I can live my life as I damn well please.”

“But not when it interferes with my work Layla. For God’s sake, Antonio can lose his daughter because of this stunt. And I can’t believe that the whole of Llanview knew about the two of you moving in before I did. You told John of all people before you told me, I had to hear it from Antonio.”

“Vange, this is not a stunt. Antonio and I like each other. And me moving in with him can help him get his daughter back if the court thinks that he can provide a stable home for her. I know you may think that I’m being selfish and doing this for my own gain, but for once in my life, can you please try to believe that I’m actually thinking about someone else’s well being? I can help Antonio get Jamie back and when he does, if we don’t work, and it’s going to harm Jamie, then I’m out. It hurts that you trust my judgement less than Antonio does, and he’s the one that has everything to lose.”

I glance up at Layla, who has genuine tears in her eyes and Evangeline, who a minute ago was ready to kill her sister, sighs and hugs her.

“Okay. Okay, Layla, don’t start crying, please don’t. I trust you okay? I just don’t like being kept in the dark, Antonio is my friend and I’m his lawyer; I can’t stand by and watch him lose his daughter again. He almost fell apart last time. This is going to be hard to make it look like this isn’t strategic, but I’m going to do everything that I can.”

Layla smiles and wipes the tears from her cheeks. “This is the biggest acting part in my career and other people’s lives depend on it, you can damn sure bet that I’m going to be convincing. And maybe after a while , Antonio and I won’t have to act anymore.”

Evangeline grins. “You’re a Williamson woman. Of course you can pull this off. And you won’t even have to do that much acting.”

They both laugh.

“So if no one is dying today, can you both get out of the way? You’re blocking the TV?”

Layla reaches over and pinches Evangeline’s waist lightly. “I think he’s talking to you sis. Is it just me, or have you been getting a little chunky?”

I snicker, and I have barely enough time to duck before a set of keys flies over my head. When the “danger” has passed, I stand and say, “Never mind. I’m going to leave you two alone so you can bond and talk about Antonio. I really don’t think that I can sit through another conversation about the merits of the tight shirts he always wears.”

Evangeline wraps one arm around my waist and lazily trails the hand of the other across my chest. “I’m glad you don’t wear tight shirts John, I don’t want any other women noticing how truly sexy you are.”

“HELLO!! I’m still here you freaks!”

“Yeah about that ... can you give us about three hours alone?”

Evangeline laughs as Layla grabs me by the arm and drags me to the door. “Okay, Romeo, why don’t you go win some money off some poor soul at Rodi’s and give me and my sister some time to talk about you behind your back?”

“Well since I don’t have much of a choice...sure. I’ll see you ladies later.”

Ten minutes later, I walk into Rodi’s to find Antonio holding an ice pack to his forehead.

“Hey man, Evangeline do that?” I ask, pointing to his head.

“No. She caused it though. I take it you heard the news.”

I nod.

“Yeah well, when I told Evangeline, I seriously thought that she was going to bash my brains in. She looked steamed. So she lifted her hand to tuck her hair behind her ear, I thought she was going to hit me so I moved my head back and got clipped with a tray. Hurts like hell.”

I’m holding my stomach, I’m laughing so hard. “I can’t believe that you’re scared of Evangeline.”

“The woman is nuts.”

“Hey, that’s my girlfriend you’re talking about.”

Antonio laughs. “And she’s one of my best friends. But I’ve seen her beat the crap out of Hayes, and I’ve seen her put some serious dents into the heavy bag at the gym. If you’re not in the least bit intimidated by her, you’re asking for trouble. Just think about Hayes’s broken nose the next time you’re about to piss her off.”

“Duly noted. So....you and Layla, huh?”

“Yeah.”

“You know you’re like my second brother, the only one I actually got to choose, but if you hurt her I’m going to kill you.”

“Since when are you so protective of Layla?”

“She’s going to be family, legally, sooner or later, I’ve got to look out for her. Especially since she’s helping me to convince Evangeline to be more receptive to marriage. And if Layla’s upset, then Evangeline is upset. So I’m trying to prevent that.”

“I got you man. Trust me, I saw how Lisa Williamson treated you when you and Evangeline broke up. I would not walk into that one willingly.”

“Yeah. So how about a game of pool?”

“Spoken just like a guy. Any time you have to discuss feelings you shut down, “ Antonio teases.

“And what are you, a woman?”

“That was cold man. Real cold.”

“Well what do you mean I don’t talk about my feelings. Just two days ago, you said that if you heard me talking about how much I love Evangeline, you were going to gag me and hide me somewhere, because I was making you nauseous. So forgive me if I’m reluctant to talk about feelings. Even though we were in fact talking about your feelings. You serious about Layla?”

“She’s moving in with me isn’t she?”

“That’s not an answer to the question I just asked you.”

“Layla offered me a solution to my problem. Her moving in with me will give me a chance to try and pursue a relationship with her. I’ve sorted through most of my feelings about Jess. I’ll always love her. But I’m not in love with her anymore, not really. Those feelings have slipped away without me noticing. I’m not rushing into anything with Layla, I’m going to take my time. And besides she says that if she walks in on you and Evangeline one more time, she’s going to gouge her eyes out.”

I have the good graces enough to blush. “Yeah, sharing time is officially over.”
Hook, Line And Sinker by jovanangel87
Chapter 16
(Evangeline’s POV)

“Cristian, please, can you just listen to reason? You need to get out of here and get one with your life.”

Cris meets my eyes with a defiant glare of his own, but I’m not about to back down. One by one, in the past few days, John and Antonio have been trying to convince Cris to let us help him get out of prison. He wouldn’t listen to them, so I thought I might give it a try. We’ve done all the research, started preparing some arguments, and all we need is for Cris to give us his testimony and account of what happened on that ship. But he is not about to just jump on the bandwagon.

“Evangeline, what life? What do I have in Llanview? Every time I look at Antonio, I see the way he looked at me when I tried to kill him. There was a time that I would have wanted to get out so that I could be with Natalie. Hell, even last week I felt that. But Natalie has buried me in her mind a long time ago. I know that the two of you don’t get along, but try to think of yourself in her shoes. How do you think that she is going to feel when she realizes that I really am alive and all along she has been pining for John McBain. She probably hasn’t come to see me because she feels so guilty and conflicted about everything that has happened.”

I fight back the sudden tears that spring to my eyes. Before John, I would have berated Cris for letting love blind him so much. He loves Natalie so much that he’s forgoing whatever chances of happiness he might ever have, to spare her from feeling guilt over something she feels absolutely no guilt over. But I know what love can do to you, and I can only feel sorry for Cristian now. Sorry for him and sorry for the woman that is looking for a sweet, gentle man just like him.

“Cris, what about your art? You’re so talented, why waste that talent rotting away in jail? You can’t spend your life atoning for something you didn’t do.”

“I killed Tico Santi and attempted to kill my own brother. Don’t forget that.”

“That wasn’t you. You were brainwashed to believe that you were someone else, someone with no family and nothing to lose. We can win this, if you would only let us fight.”

“No. Nothing you can say or do can make me change my mind,” he yells as he storms away.

I shake my head and gather up my briefcase. ‘I may not be able to change your mind, but I know someone who can’.

The whole drive to the station, I find myself getting more and more upset with Natalie. By the time I get there, I realize that if I speak to her right away, I’m going to fly off the handle and that won’t help Cris in any way. So I walk right past her deak, ignoring her protests that John is busy, and I go straight to his office.

I knock on the door rapidly.

“John, are you busy?”

The door swings open and I smile at the welcome sight of John’s face.

“I’m never to busy for you,” he says, leaning in for a quick kiss before pulling me into his office.

“So I went to see Cris today.”

He sits down at his desk, after drawing out a chair for me to sit on.

“What did he say?”

“He won’t listen to me, but I know exactly who he will listen to.”

“No, Evangeline. We promised him that we wouldn’t bring Natalie into this. I’ve tried to tell her on more than one occasion that Cris really is alive, but she doesn’t want to listen.”

“That’s because she’s obsessed with you! Don’t you realize that by acknowledging the truth, she’ll have to stop throwing herself at you? And I don’t think that she’ll stop even then. No. She’s not going to ruin Cris’s life. He loves her so much... he wants her to be happy even if it’s not with him. So he’s going to rot in prison so she can make a fool out of herself without a guilty conscience.”

John smiles slightly. “I’m not going to be able to talk you out of it, so go ahead. If you think it’ll help, then it probably will.”

“Okay, I’ll tell you how it goes.”

I get up and walk back out to the outer office, stopping at Natalie’s desk.

“Natalie, may I have a word with you?”

“Evangeline, I’m busy. Come back later if it’s important.”

“You call filing your nails being busy? Is this what I’m paying you for?”

“Excuse me?”

I stare back at her. “You’re excused. My tax money pays your paycheck, and I don’t appreciate that you’re sitting at your desk filing your nails and calling yourself busy. I need to talk to you privately Natalie, don’t make me have to have this conversation with you out here.”

“Fine.” She gets up from her desk, throwing herself down the hall. Better her than me any way. She walks up to an unoccupied room and grabs my arm, dragging me in there. I calmly peel her fingers off of my arms.

“What do you want Evangeline?”

“As you know, Cristian is alive. He’s sitting in prison, refusing to fight so that you won’t get hurt. I think that he is very sweet for caring, but it’s the dumbest thing that I’ve seen someone do in a long time. You’re so busy throwing yourself at a man who clearly doesn’t want you that you’re ignoring a man who would die for you. Not that it surprises me. I know that you’re cold hearted and spoiled, but Cris doesn’t know that. And he doesn’t have to because you’re going to go down to Statesville, and you’re going to convince Cristian to fight to be released. And you’re not going to say no either.”

“Cris is not alive. I don’t know why“ as a matter of fact I do know why. You want me out of the way so that you can have John to yourself. Well it’s not going to work.”

This chick must be delusional! Here John is all but living with me, and the whole of Llanview knows it, but yet she still holds on to this false hope.

“Natalie, you’re a beautiful woman, on the outside anyway. And I really think that you can be smart, and even brave. It takes a brave and strong person to go through what you’ve been through these past few years. But you’re not me, Natalie. And you have to understand that John neither wants nor loves you, he loves me. And you need to grow up and accept that as the truth.”

“You bitch!” She flings back her hand and attempts to slap me. Right before her hand catches my face, I grab it, and squeeze so that her knuckles are rubbing each other. “Third strike and you’re out. Now why would you want to put your hands on me? It makes no sense. I’m not stupid enough to let my guard down in front of you.”

“Let go of me! I’m not going to do what you want me too, either way.”

I squeeze harder and look Natalie dead in the eye. “Cristian is a good, decent man. And he’s going to get out of prison because his beloved wife who doesn’t dream of committing adultery is going to convince him that she wants him to try to get out of prison. And you’re not going to give up the first time he says no. You’re not going to stop doing what you do best and bugging the hell out of him until he says yes. Am I clear?”

“I get it now. You want Cris for yourself, but you want me to do your dirty work. I’ll do it, this’ll work out perfectly for me. I get my man, you get yours.”

Can this skank be any dumber? That’s alright I’ll play along. I take out my cell phone and dial the warden.

“Hello? This is Evangeline Williamson. I’d like to call in a favor.”

“Evangeline, you’ve called in a lot of favours this week.”

“Warden, you know you owe me a lot more than three. Just one more, please?”

“Okay, what is it?”

“I would like to schedule a visit for my client and his wife for tomorrow.”

“After this, no more. People are going to start thinking I like you.”

“Thanks. I really appreciate it.”

I hang up and turn to Natalie, who’s nursing her hand. I can’t wait until she figures out that it’s going to hurt for a few days.

“Okay, it’s all set. You go see Cris tomorrow, right?”

“Maybe.”

I take a notepad and a pen out of my briefcase and draw up a contract quickly. “Sign here, Natalie.”

She takes the pad and signs it, without reading it, the dumbest thing that anyone can do. I sign it too and then say, “Well we’re all done here.”

Natalie starts to walk away, but I call her back. “Natalie?”

“What now?”

“Don’t you ever assume that I would desert John for someone “better” as you obviously did for Cris. I’m not you. And today I proved that I’m a hell of a lot smarter than you. Cris will learn the truth about you, and John will never want you, so that leaves you alone an miserable for a pretty long time. Maybe you might grow up in that time....who am I kidding? You’re you, you just can’t help being trashy, for all the good merits that you may have.”

She shoots, she scores! I watch in satisfaction as my words sink in and Natalie’s eyes bulge out of her head. She turns on her heel and stalks out of the room without a word, leaving only the overpowering scent of loud perfume in her wake.

They don’t call me good for nothing.
Court DAte by jovanangel87
Chapter 17
(John’s POV)

“Dammit John!”

What did I do this time? The better question is, what haven’t I done. I swear I’ve gotten yelled at so many times this past week that I really am starting to think that my first name is Dammit.

“Yes Evangeline?”

She hops out of her bedroom, pushing her foot in a black pump. “Where is my jacket?”

“Why would I know where your jacket is?”

“You picked up the dry cleaning, didn’t you?”

“Yes, but“

“So where did you put my jacket? I need it John, if I don’t leave in twenty minutes, I’m going to be late for court. And I’m starving, I haven’t even eaten breakfast yet.”

I stand up and go over to her, kissing her gently on the forehead and holding her shoulders so she’ll stop squirming.

“The dry cleaning is in the closet, so I guess your jacket is in there. And I made you breakfast, you can take it with you in the car. And stop worrying, you’ll be great in court today.”

“I have to be John. This is the one time that I absolutely have to win. I don’t know what Antonio will do if he loses Jamie.”

I give her a reassuring hug and a smile. “Antonio will not lose Jamie and you won’t lose this case. But you will have to go to court hungry if you don’t hurry up and finish getting dressed, so scat.”

She laughs as I swat her lightly on the butt and she goes back to the bedroom. She returns a few minutes later buttoning up her suit jacket.

“Okay McBain, where’s this breakfast you promised me?”

I lead her to the kitchen where I left her breakfast covered up on the counter-top. Evangeline lifts the cover off and claps her hands excitedly.

“Yay! Bacon and eggs and... biscuits? John, where did you learn how to make biscuits?”

“Your Mom taught me one afternoon when she was here. I was going to make you breakfast in bread, but it took a few batches before I got it right.”

“This is really sweet of you John. I can’t believe that you learned how to make my mother’s biscuits just for me!”

She kisses me lightly on the cheek and then rummages through the flatware draw for a fork. I don’t have to tell her that I learned that recipe partially for me... her mother’s biscuits are like clouds, and they taste like a piece of heaven.

After she’s finished with breakfast, we drive to the courthouse together and I walk her to the courtroom.

“Okay. Here we are hon. Go kick some ass.”

“If there’s going to be any ass kicking today, it will be Evangeline kicking her own. And a very fine one it is.”

I step up to RJ’s face, this close to knocking his lights out. “You know I still haven’t forgotten that you had someone attack me over a year ago, and I’d be too glad to repay the favour.”

He laughs and looks around me at Evangeline. “You know Counselor, I should thank you. Allowing your boyfriend to threaten me is only going to help my case.”

Evangeline grabs my shoulder and pulls me away from RJ. “John stop.”

Laughing, RJ walks away from us and into the courtroom.

“I’m sorry Evangeline. I didn’t mean to make it worse for you.”

She smiles. “It was worth the look in RJ’s eyes. He was looking a little scared there. But maybe you should go to work now. I’ll call you with the news when I get out of court, okay?”

“Okay. I’ll see you later. You’ll be great.”

I give her a quick kiss and a hug before walking away.

Twenty minutes later, I’m staring at Rex, having conflicting feelings of wanting to hug and kill him. He’s just given me the perfect way to kill two birds with one stone. I can get back at RJ, and Antonio will definitely get his daughter back, even though I’m fully confident that Evangeline can do it on her own.

“Hey McBain, you’re looking a little spacey there. Day dreaming about a certain hot lady lawyer?”

“Rex, sit down and shut up for just two minutes okay? You think you can handle that?”

Rex gives me an indignant glare. “Hey man. I’m the super sleuth here, I think I can handle shutting up for a few minutes.”

I give him a look.

“Okay. Shutting up right about....now.”

I sigh and go back to typing at the computer. I’m looking for a list of all the boats supposed to dock in the next few hours. A few more minutes of ignoring the squeaking of Rex’s chair as he rocks back and forth, and I find what I’m looking for.

“Bingo,” I whisper softly under my breath. I get out of my chair and grab my keys and my cell phone from my desk. “Rex, stay right there. Don’t move.”

He pops out of his chair, almost breaking his neck in the process. “Where ya going? Can I come?”

“No!”

“I’ll be good. And I know my way around the docks. Please?”

“Fine. Come on.”

“Dude, you’re the wind beneath my wings.”

I roll my eyes and we walk out of the station, Rex yapping the whole time. In about fifteen minutes, a boat is docking and I’m pretty sure that RJ is going to have something to do with it. Sure enough, when we get down to the docks, there are two guys unloading a boat. And whadaya know? One of them is the same thug that RJ hired to do his dirty work last year, and I know for a fact that everything they’re unloading is stolen.

I arrest them and read them their rights, trying to keep from laughing at the fact that they want to hurt Rex as much as I do right now. Didn’t Roxy ever get him tested for ADHD or something? Then again, this is Roxy that we’re talking about. She’s probably the reason he’s the way he is.

We get back to the station and I take the thugs straight down to booking.

“So when do I get put on the payroll?”

I turn around, a sharp remark on the tip of my tongue, but I see the hopeful look on Rex’s face and I bite it back.

“You did good today. Real good work today.”

“I know. Antonio gets his daughter back, you get back at RJ, and Evangeline thinks you’re her hero. Everyone’s happy but me.”

“Bye Rex.”

I laugh to myself as I sit back in my chair. With a little bit of training, Rex can be a really good cop. Though not even a herd of wild horses dragging me through Llanview would get me to admit it.

My phone vibrates on my hip and pull it out of it’s holder and flip it open.

“McBain.”

“JOHN!!!”

Cringing, I pull the phone away from my ear.

“Hi Evangeline. How did it go?”

“Would I be this excited if we lost?”

I grin. “Maybe.”

“John! Be serious for a minute!”

“Okay.”

“Ask me how it went.”

Well, I already knew how it went from the first word that came out of her mouth, but what the hell.

“That wouldn’t be being serious.”

“John....”

“How did it go hon?”

“WE WON!!” I almost drop the phone. Evangeline yelling by herself is loud, but Evangeline and Layla is even louder.

“I’m so proud of you Evangeline. And you too Layla. Tell Antonio I said congratulations.”

“I’d tell you to tell him yourself, but he’s sorta crying right now. He’s ecstatic though.”

I can only imagine what Antonio would think of Layla letting that piece of information slip.

“Hey you know what? Why don’t we go out to dinner tonight? We’ll all go to celebrate, I’ll call Mom, Michael and Marcie. And if Carlotta and Antonio aren’t having their own private celebration with Jamie, then invite them too.”

“John the thought is nice, but that’s a pretty big dinner party. There’s probably no way that you’ll be able to get a reservation at any restaurants for tonight.”

“Evangeline, that doesn’t matter. My best friend just got his daughter back and you just made that happen for him. We’ll do it at your place. It’s big enough. I’ll pick up some food from that Mexican restaurant you, Layla and Antonio are always ranting about, or I’ll cook.”

“You cook? John, do you even know how to turn on a stove?” Layla pipes up.

I didn’t know that I was still on speaker phone. Before I get a chance to respond, Evangeline does.

“Lay, the man can cook. He made me breakfast this morning.”

“That’s so sweet! I see you’re bringing your A-game McBain. I whole heartedly approve.”

“Thank you Layla. Can you give the phone back to Evangeline now?”

“Yeah, I’m going to go talk to Carlotta and Antonio. And if you tell him that I told you he cried, I’m going to rip your spleen out with my bare hands.”

“Don’t I need that?”

“Would you rather it be your nads?”

“Duly noted. Thank you for the warning Layla, can you give the phone to your slightly less violent older sister now?”

There’s a short pause and Evangeline comes back to the phone. “Hey, sorry about that, I was thanking Viki before she left. I figured Layla could talk to you for a few minutes.”

“Next time give the phone to a stranger, can you? Is there a reason why you’re both so violent? Your mother is such a gentle person.”

Evangeline laughs. “You didn’t hear all the things that she wanted to do with you when she thought that we were broken up.”

“And I hope that as long as I live I never do. We on for tonight? We’ll have our own private celebration afterwards.”

I can hear the smile in her voice as she answers, “Well in that case, we’re definitely on. I’ll see you later.”

“I’ll see you tonight.”

I hang up the phone with a smile.

*******
Enjoy your time with her McBain. Enjoy your time with all of them. You’re going to lose them, one by one. Smallest to biggest.
Temptations by jovanangel87
Chapter 18
(Evangeline’s POV)

We all walk up to the door and I ring the bell, waiting for John to answer. After I have to ring the bell for the second time, I realize that it is my apartment and therefore I shouldn’t have to wait for John to let me in. As a matter of fact, I don’t have to wait for John to let me in to his own apartment; I would be waiting forever since he barely spends any time there.

I dig out my keys and put it in the lock just as John opens the door.

“Sorry it took me so long, you guys come on in.”

I kiss John passionately as I walk in the door, ignoring everyone else as they filter in until Carlotta asks Antonio and Layla, “Do they always greet each other like that?” We pull apart laughing, and I gaze into John’s amused eyes.

“Happy to see me?”

“Just happy in general.”

“She was so happy that she and Jamie spent the whole car ride singing at the top of their lungs,” Antonio re-iterates.

John laughs again and I brush flour out of his hair. “So you decided to cook?”

“I started, but I decided that it was too much work. And besides, I want my cooking to be for you only,” he whispers.

I shudder as his voice slides over me like a silky scarf. Luckily for me, Eve chooses that moment to interrupt.

“Evangeline, sorry to bother you, but can you point me towards the ladies room?”

“Sure, it’s down the hall to the right.”

“Thanks sweetie. Don’t get into too much trouble while I’m gone, okay you two?” She winks at us as she walks away.

“So when do we eat? I’m starving?”

“In a while. Go hang out, and I’ll bring the food out.”

I do as he says, joining everyone in the living room. What was supposed to be a small dinner obviously quickly turns into a big party. John must have invited half of Llanview, because a few people from work stop by, as well as Nora, Matthew and Bo. I don’t mind though, it’s great to finally let loose and have some fun. Even if it is only one night before I have to get back to work.

“Hey Vange, where is your Usher CD?”

I go over to the CD rack and search through it with Layla. “I don’t know. Go in the kitchen and ask John. I can guarantee he knows where it is.”

Layla gives me a weird look, but does as I say. A minute later, she comes back out looking annoyed.

“What did he say?’

“He says that yes he knows where it is but he hid it from you and there is no way that he’s taking it out now, so find another one. Sometimes I really hate your boyfriend.”

“Stop pouting and help me find my CD with the Electric Slide and the Cha Cha slide on it.”

She locates the CD and I put it in the stereo. Within minutes the couches are pushed back and everyone is in the middle of the living room dancing. I laugh as Jamie weaves in and out around the dancing adults until Layla grabs her and tries teaching her how to do the Electric Slide. My eyes meet Antonio’s as he observes Layla interacting with his daughter. He smiles and I give him a thumbs up.

By the time that we’re finished dancing, John has set the food out and everyone digs in ravenously. John sits on the floor next to me, tickling my legs absently while I talk to Nora.

“Evangeline, you have no idea, sweetie, how proud of you we are. I love R.J., I really do, but I have to admit that he got what was coming to him being so stubborn. And I think that it’s great that even though Antonio won full custody, he’s offering to create a more liberal visitation agreement.”

I smile and look across the room at Antonio briefly. The man hasn’t stopped laughing and smiling for a minute since we left the courtroom. And after months of disuse, dare I say that someone’s face is really going to be hurting him tomorrow.

“It’s amazing really how much we’ve all changed in the course of a few months. One tiny event can put us in perspective about our lives.”

Nora nods. “I know exactly what you’re talking about. Daniel taught me that I should trust my instincts more often, and I can’t let love completely blind me to the ways of people. And John taught you to loosen up and have more fun with your life. I can almost call you lazy now.”

I look at John, but he stays quiet. I don’t even know that he’s paying attention. “Yeah and John learned how to use his tongue for something other than...” at Nora’s amused and curious look, I trail off. I almost got myself into a bit of trouble with that one.

“Don’t think that because I haven’t said anything, I can’t hear you two,” John says, twisting around to look at us with a grin.

“Stop listening then. I don’t listen to you and Michael and Antonio when you guys talk about how much we all drive you nuts. Well at least not all the time.”

John gets to his feet and presses a kiss to my forehead. “I’m going to see if I can be a social butterfly like you and mingle among our dwindling guests.”

“Try not to scare them too much hon.”

I watch him as he walks away, and when I turn back to Nora, she’s smiling at me like the cat who ate the canary.

“What’s up with you?”

“I don’t know. I was going to ask you the same thing. Hon?”

I shrug. “He calls me hon, I guess I just got used to it after a while and started to use it myself. It’s not really a big deal.”

“You’re Evangeline Williamson. Everything is a big deal when it comes to relationships. You just called him hon in a pretty public setting and you didn’t seem to care if anyone heard you or not. Which is great, but my God Evangeline. What happened to change your mind?”

If only you knew Nora. If only I knew, maybe I could do something to slow it down a bit. As wonderful as love is, I find that it works very quickly, too quickly for someone who is once bitten, twice shy.

“So where’s Matthew?”

“With Bo and Paige.”

I grin. “With Bo and Paige. I see. Why so glum, chum?”

Nora cuts her eyes at me. “When you start rhyming, that’s my cue to end the conversation.”

“That’s what I thought would happen.”

She takes a look at her watch and lets out a low whistle. “Seriously though, I have work in the morning, so I’m going to get going now.”

“I get to sleep in all morning tomorrow. And I can probably get my wonderful boyfriend to clean up.”

“Only if his wonderful girlfriend will be helping,” John says from over my shoulder.

Laughing, Nora gives me a quick hug and says, “I’m going to go tell Antonio good-bye and give the little darling one last squeeze goodnight.”

“Bye Nora. Thanks for coming.”

After Nora leaves, the rest of our guests start trickling out one by one until the only people left are Eve, Antonio, Jamie and Layla, who offered to stay to help John and I clean up. Since there’s so many of us, and my apartment isn’t that big, it doesn’t take that long. And since Jamie sings the clean up song from Barney, it’s actually sort of fun. Maybe that’s why children actually like doing chores, they have cool songs to make it fun.

When we’re done, we all throw ourselves on the couch, too tired to do much but keep still and watch TV. I smile at Jamie as she climbs down from Antonio’s lap and walks over to where I’m sitting, climbing up on the couch beside me.

“Hey there pretty girl. You having fun?”

She smiles. “Yes.”

“Yes who?” Antonio prods. Jamie is extremely polite because the only thing that RJ and Antonio agree on when it comes to how Jamie is raised is teaching her proper manners.

“Yes Tia Eva.”

I turn to Antonio with a raised eyebrow. “Tia Eva?”

He shrugs. “She can’t say your full name.”

“But Tia, Antonio? I’m not old enough to be anyone’s aunt.”

“Would you rather Miss?”

I shut up and everyone laughs, while Antonio nods and says, “That’s what I thought.”

“Papí can I have some ice cream?”

Antonio rolls his eyes back and smacks his forehead. “Sweetie, I completely forgot that I promised you a cone. I’ll get you one tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay.”

Layla and I gape at her, shocked. Layla threw tantrums when she was little to get what she wanted, and since she was the baby, she almost always did. And while I was pretty good and easygoing, I was never that well behaved.

John smiles at Jamie and says, “You know what? I think your Tia Eva has a secret stash of ice cream just for princesses like you. You want to come help me look for it?”

Jamie nods shyly and takes John’s outstretched hand and hops off the chair, skipping happily beside him. I smile at them as they walk away, and when I turn back around, Layla is grinning at me cryptically.

“What Lay?”

“Nothing.”

“What?”

She moves closer to me and whispers, “I saw how you were looking at John and Jamie. And I know exactly what you’re thinking.”

I roll my eyes. “And what, pray tell is that?”

“You think he’d make a great daddy. So when’s the little bun in the oven going to pop out?”

Layla SUCKS at whispering. Everyone just happens to hear that last statement and they’re all staring at me, waiting for an answer. John is standing in the doorway of the kitchen, holding Jamie steady on his shoulders while she holds a box of ice cream and ice cream cones. I wish I had a camera, it’s a really cute sight.

“You’re pregnant?” John manages to bite out.

I flash Layla an angry look before answering, “No, I’m not pregnant John. Layla’s imagination was just running away from her. Isn’t that right Layla?”

“Just my imagination running away from me. Right.”

John scrutinizes me for a few seconds more before going back into the kitchen and Layla looks at me reproachfully, which has me completely taken aback. I should be mad at her.

“Why are you glaring at me?”

“You’re breaking the poor man’s heart Vange.”

Afraid of another embarrassing outburst, I pull Layla into my bedroom and lock the door behind us.

“What are you talking about Layla?”

“You should have seen your face when you told John you weren’t pregnant. You looked happy Evangeline.”

“Because I am. John and I aren’t ready for children right now.”

“I think that John would be happy if you told him that you were pregnant. It would be a reason to celebrate for him, not a reason to worry. You won’t meet John halfway for anything. He bends over backwards to please you and I’m really starting to feel bad. When are you going to trust him? He’s not going to hurt you again. He makes you breakfast, he picks up your dry cleaning, he throws you impromptu parties to celebrate every little thing that you do, he plans romantic dates for you, he ignores your borderline obsessive-compulsive tendencies, he loves you. For God’s sake Evangeline, the man’s office is a shrine to you and your relationship. And the thing I don’t get is, you love him just as much. I don’t know who you trust less, John or yourself. Let yourself be fully happy with John and stop letting our parent’s mistakes be your excuse not to be happy. Move in, get married, have children together! Just be happy!”

I blink at Layla, unable to respond. Actually, I’m scared to, she looks really mad at me.

“John and I went out for lunch yesterday, did you know that?”

I shake my head. “No. He didn’t mention it last night when he came in.”

Grinning, she responds, “That’s probably because you mauled him at the door like you did today.”

“Thank you for that.”

“Anytime. Vange, for a full two hours, most of what we talked about was you. John still feels so guilty about the fire, he thinks that’s why you don’t trust him. All he talked about was the hopes that he has for your future together. He didn’t say it, by he’s miserable right now because he thinks that you’re unhappy, when you and I know both know that you’ve never been so happy in all your life. All that he wants to do is make you happy, let him do that. He’s so distraught Vange, I had tears in my eyes. I think that you can afford to be a little uncomfortable for a while so that John can be more comfortable in your relationship.

I stare, a slow smile spreading across my face. “Oh my God! Layla, you’re falling for Antonio!”

“Where did that come from?”

“Every time you’re in a relationship and you think that you could be falling for someone, to keep yourself otherwise occupied you try to fix what’s wrong with my relationships or lack thereof. Why don’t we talk about you and Antonio?”

Layla grins.” I’m not Nora, I’m not going to back off because you turned the conversation on to me. Let’s finish talking about you first.”

I should have known that wouldn’t work twice in one night.

“You know, I got a present for Jamie. It was supposed to be for Christmas, but I can get her something else instead and give it to her now.”

Layla stomps her foot and pouts like a petulant child. “Vange! Come on,”she whines.

I ignore her as I go over to my closet and pull out the step ladder opening it in front of the door. I climb up, rummaging through the boxes on the top shelf.

“You know what Layla? I am tired of letting Mom and Dad’s mistakes keep me from being happy on my own. And I’m tired of trying to plan my life, only to have my plans fall through. Because as I remember, the plan was not to fall in love. But I did fall in love, and with a man that is so amazing and wonderful, that sometimes I wonder if this is all a dream. I pinch myself sometimes, hoping that I won’t wake up someday to find that I’m all alone. I’m happy that things didn’t go according to plan. The fact of the matter is that if John were to ask me to marry him right now, I’d say yes. Or at least I’d want to.”

Finally finding the Tweety Bird gift-wrapped box, I grab it and step back, forgetting I’m on a ladder. Before I can fall though, a pair of strong, warm, definitely male hands catch me around the waist. I turn my head and find myself gazing into a pair of twinkling sapphire eyes. Layla is so going to get killed for this.

“John...” I begin.

He smiles. “Gotcha.”
Mother To Son by jovanangel87
Chapter 19
(John's POV)

Antonio is telling a joke when I hear the bedroom door open and I look up, expecting to see Evangeline and Layla walking out. Instead, Layla sticks her head out the door and waves me over. I get up and walk over to the door, and with a shushing motion, she pushes me into the room as she walks out. I step up closer to Evangeline so that I can hear what she’s saying clearly.

“...If John were to ask me to marry him right now, I’d say yes. Or at least I would want to.”

She steps backwards off the ladder rung, but before she can fall, I grab her waist. Shocked, she turns her head to look at me.

“John...”

I smile. “Gotcha.”

I life her carefully off the step-ladder, and she moves away from me almost before her feet touch the ground. Laughing under my breath, I follow her out the room. I have never, in all the time that I’ve known her, seen Evangeline so nervous around me.

In the living room, Antonio is trying to pry a half eaten, half melted ice-cream cone out of a sleeping Jamie’s hands. He’s not doing so well.

“Hey man, you need some help? It looks like Jamie’s got quite a grip on that cone.”

“I’m trying to get the cone away from her without getting ice cream on Evangeline’s sofa.”

“Layla’s dropped so much ice cream on this couch that it won’t make much of a difference.”

Glad for the distraction, Evangeline exclaims, “Layla!”

Layla in turn glares at me. “See if I help you anymore John, if this is how you re-pay me.”

“Okay, before you two start, we need to get going. Jamie should have been in bed hours ago, and I’m getting a little tired myself. Eve, would you like me to take you back to the hotel?”

I glance over at Mom, who’s fast asleep in the corner, and signal to Antonio not to bother. It doesn’t make sense to wake her now, and I’m sure Evangeline won’t mind if she stays the night. In fact, I think she’ll welcome it. Anything to avoid the inevitable conversation.

Antonio and Layla leave with Jamie, promising to meet us for dinner a week from today. As soon as she closes the door, Evangeline busies herself pushing the chairs back into their original positions. I go over to Mom, effortlessly lifting her, and bring her to the guest room. When I return, Evangeline is standing in front of the window, staring out with her arms wrapped around herself.

“It’s a beautiful night out, you want to go take a walk?”

She shakes her head without turning around. “Normally, I’d say yes, but it’s been a really long day. And all I want to do is put on some comfy pajamas and curl up in bed.”

“As long as we talk while we’re curled up in bed.”

Evangeline turns, rolls her eyes and carefully weaves her was around me, back to her room. She’s pulling a classic Evangeline move, evading me when we want to talk about her feelings. The fact that she hasn’t looked at me in the past ten minutes sort of clues me in.

Hearing those words coming from her mouth tonight made me want to jump for joy, but I should have known the joy would be short lived. Getting any admission of feelings past, “I love you.” from Evangeline is like pulling teeth, long, hard and painful. I follow her into the bedroom and stand in the door staring at her until she turns around to face me.

“John let’s not do this right now. Your mother is in the next room.”

“You know what Evangeline? Let’s.”

Sighing, Evangeline unzips the back of her powder blue dress and steps out of it.

“What exactly do you want to talk about? We’ve talked this topic to death and we always come to the same impasse.”

“We can talk about what you just said in here, not fifteen minutes ago.”

“You shouldn’t have heard that.”

“But I did.”

“But you shouldn’t have.”

“That doesn’t change the fact that I heard it. So now that we’re both ready for this next step, I can propose when I’m ready.”

“You can’t just decide how our relationship is going to progress John!”

I watch as she changes into a pair of striped blue and green pajama pants and a blue tank top. The change of clothing distracts me momentarily, but I remember the task at hand.

“Actually Evangeline, that’s what you usually do. Before I didn’t mind so much, but now I’m having my say. Give me 5 reasons why you’re scared of marriage and maybe if their valid, I’ll get off your case.”

Like I would really do that.

Evangeline sits down on the bed, and I stretch out beside her.

“Well you already know that my parents divorced each other when I was 15. They went from loving each other to despising even the mention of each other’s names. Two, I’ve often represented one half of a divorcing couple and the way they try to destroy each other in court is devastating. Three, we argue all the time, and we don’t even live together. I don’t want to get married and then we never do anything but fight. And speaking of moving in, we don’t even know that we’ll get along living with each other 24/7. Especially since it drives me nuts that you leave the cap off the toothpaste, and you walk around the apartment flossing. And five, you want us to get married and start a family, but we have radically different views on parenting. Until we can learn to reach compromises with each other, we’re not ready to move forward.”

I give Evangeline an incredulous look. She can’t even come up with enough reasons to fully convince herself that marriage isn’t right for us.

“The first and second reasons don’t count because I’ve heard them before, they don’t apply to us and they’re about divorce. About our arguing, my mom and dad argued often. And they would fight for hours sometimes, ignoring each other. But they always made up before they went to bed, and they had a very wonderful marriage. All we have to do is employ that same rule in our relationship, and we’ll be fine. As for living together, I hate to tell you this, but we do live together. The only reason why I still have a room and mailing address at the Angel Square Hotel is so that you can convince yourself that we don’t live with each other. Get over it, we do sweetie. And lastly, everyone around has resolved that when we have children, they will be spoiled rotten, because neither of us are disciplinarians. I don’t see what’s so radically different about that, so I win. I get to ask and you have to say yes.”

“I don’t have to do anything but stay“ never mind that. But I don’t have to say yes John.”

“Stop lying to yourself Evangeline!”

Before she can respond to that, there’s a knock at the bedroom door and Evangeline gets up to answer it.

“Eve. I thought you were asleep. Did we wake you?”

“No, I woke up on my own. I thought you two were sleeping and I didn’t want to be in the way, so I figured I would leave you a note and go back to the hotel. But since I heard your voices, I came to tell you two that I was leaving.”

“Mom, it’s....1:37 in the morning. Spend the night. And how can you be in the way if you’re sleeping?”

Mom blinks a few times, but doesn’t answer. Evangeline smiles and says, “Eve, it’s late and I know that you’re tired. I would feel really bad if I were to let you leave and something happened to you. Just stay, please?”

“If you’re sure. I think I left my gym bag in your car Evangeline. I have a few clean T-shirts in there, so I’ll go get it and come back.”

“Nonsense Eve. You stay here and I’ll go get the bag.”

“Evangeline. I don’t want wither you or Mom out by yourselves so late. Let me go get it.”

Mom and Evangeline share a look and roll their eyes, which amuses me. When Mom’s cruise ship tour got cancelled, I asked her to stay in Llanview for a little longer since I hadn’t seen her in a while and I wanted her and Evangeline to get to know each other better. Now the two of them are as thick as thieves.

“You don’t know where I parked. I’ll get it.”

“But“ ”

“John I said I’ll get it,” Evangeline snaps.

I hold my hands up in defeat. “Okay. Just don’t forget that can of pepper spray that I got you. It’s late anything can happen.”

Evangeline pulls her white and black Pumas on and grabs my LPD sweatshirt off the hook behind the door, putting it on. “Okay. I’ll be back before you two can miss me.”

“I love you.”

She sticks her head back in the bedroom. “I’m not going to Siberia.”

“I still love you.”

She blows me a kiss and bounces out and I turn to Mom with a smile. “You think she took the pepper spray?”

“She has her keys if it get’s to that. And she’s been bragging about how well you’re teaching her how to box.”

“You heard us arguing didn’t you?”

“Yes.”

“And you have something to say about it?”

“Yes.”

I motion her over and pat the bed next to me. “Come. Sit. Stroke my hair. Comfort me.”

“How about I do the first two?”

I laugh. “I have to learn how to compromise, don’t I?”

She sits next to me and smiles. “You know, you and Evangeline remind me a lot of me and you’re father in the beginning. Evangeline and I are a lot a like. We’re very wary of the people who say they love us, because we’ve been hurt before. Some people eventually move on after being hurt, and some others are always scared that those we love the most are going to hurt us. Your father and I had arguments like the one’s you two have all the time. Let me give you a word of advice son. Stop pushing her so hard John, she’ll come when she’s ready. But if you keep backing her into a corner, she’s not going to give in. She’s going to get away, and you might get knocked over in the process.”

“I hear you Mom. But she said that she’d say yes if I asked. To Layla. But to me, I have to jump through hoops. It’s frustrating at times.”

“You love her John, and she loves you. And you both know that you belong together. Give her time and she’ll give in eventually. I know I did. And it was the best drunken mistake of my life.”

Alarmed, I sit up and stare at her. After a few seconds, she starts to laugh. “I was kidding John. I wasn’t drunk. But your father was when he sang under every window in my dorm because he couldn’t remember which one was mine. They were all quite adamant that I tell him yes after that.”

I laugh. “Dad really loved you a lot. He always went all out to show you how much he loved all of us, even if it meant making himself look silly. Like the time he was stuck in a bunny costume for the whole Easter weekend, because he pretended to be the Easter bunny hiding the eggs for me and Michael and he got stuck in it.”

“He’d be proud of you John. And so happy that you’ve decided to move on and really live life. As much as I loved Caitlin, and as much as I know you loved her, I’ve never seen you so happy as you are now with Evangeline.”

“When you lose that many people that you love, you learn to fully appreciate what you have. And Evangeline has helped me to learn that lesson.”

“I’m glad I could help.”

I look up at Evangeline, who’s standing in the doorway with a small smile on her face, holding a gym bag.

“You’re back and I didn’t even get a chance to miss you.”

“That’s okay. Here’s your bag Eve.”

“Thank you sweetie. Good night you two.” Mom stands and kisses me on the cheek, and kisses Evangeline on her cheek as she leaves the room, taking her bags.

“Night Eve.”

“Night Mom.”

Evangeline walks across the room, taking her sneakers off. She stares at me for a moment, then vaults herself onto the bed, laughing as she knocks me flat. She kisses me softly, still laughing, then puts both her hands on my cheeks, holding my face steady as she stares into my eyes.

“I love you John. I hope you know that. I’ve never loved anyone as much as I love you and I never will.”

“I know Evangeline. I feel the same way about you.”

She rolls off me and sits up. “It’s hard sometimes John. Knowing that every day I’m going to wake up, and you’ll smile at me, and I’ll fall even more in love with you. Or you’ll laugh at me, or you’ll kiss me, or hug me, or make me breakfast, or throw me a party, or tease my sister, or floss in the bedroom, or leave your shoes where I can trip over them, or you’ll just be THERE and I’ll fall even more in love with you. I can’t always believe that I have those feelings for you, so it’s hard to believe that you have those feelings for me.”

“If I have to rent a skywriter and have it written in the sky all over Llanview that I love Evangeline Williamson and I want to marry her, then I will. I’ll do anything for you to believe that I want to marry you.”

“I do believe you John,” she whispers.

“So if I ask...”

“So when you ask, I’ll say yes.”

I smile calmly, but inside, I’m doing backflips and cartwheels and my own little happy dance. I pull her to my chest and kiss the top of her head. I really am a lucky man.
The Spooks Come Out by jovanangel87
Chapter 20
(John’s POV)

“Ok, so when is your Mom coming back?” Evangeline calls from the bedroom. I’m out in the living room waiting for her to change into her Halloween costume. A few weeks ago, Evangeline, Layla and Nora went shopping for Nora’s Halloween party, and she returned with two garment bags. And up until now, she wouldn’t let me see what was in them.

“The ship docks in Florida in a week. Why?”

“I don’t know. I’ve gotten so used to having her in Llanview. I miss her.”

“Yeah and I’m pretty sure that she misses you more than she misses me or Mike. Are you coming out soon?”

“In a minute. I can’t believe that all you’re wearing is a suit and calling yourself the President.”

Since it’s Nora’s costume party, I don’t dare not wear a costume, but I wouldn’t get caught dead in a real one, so I came up with a great excuse to wear a suit.

“Well you said that you like how I look in that suit. And if George Bush can be President, then so can I .”

I hear some rustling and then Evangeline says, “Okay, I’m coming out. Close your eyes.”

I do as she says and wait until she says, “You can look now.” to open them.

I’m completely shocked into silence. She’s wearing a costume fashioned to look like a police uniform. The top is fitted to her curves closely, and the shorts rest low on her hips and end at the middle of her thighs. She placed a cap on her head at an angle so it hid part of one eye, and her hair is pulled into a low, side ponytail. She spins and twirls her baton with a lazy smile.

“You like?”

“Yes I like it. A lot.”

“Okay, good. Let’s go.”

She starts to move past me to get her purse, but I stop her.

“Wait a minute. What about your other costume? What is it?”

“Catwoman.”

“Wear that one to the party. I’m having some very unpure thoughts right now, and I don’t think that I can keep my hands off of you all night.

Evangeline smiles and walks closer to me. “Are you having kinky thoughts McBain?”

I kiss her and rest my forehead against hers. “I have always had this fantasy of being arrested by a really sexy lady cop.”

“Well then, when we get home tonight, maybe I might fulfill your fantasy. I’m going to need your cuffs though.”

I pull back slightly so I can see Evangeline’s mischievous grin.

“What happened to the cuffs that I let you keep from my CSU kit?”

She rolls her eyes. “I got out of those in less than a minute. We need something harder for you.”

I smirk, but I’m not even going to touch that comment. “Okay, whatever you need. Are you going to change?”

“Yes I’ll be right back.”

Ten minutes later, she comes back out wearing a skin tight body suit with a plunging V neckline and slashes across the stomach and thighs. She has on a black headband with cat ears on them, and her loose ponytail is rolled into a bun of some sorts. Her boots are knee high, with pointed toes, a high stiletto heel, and sippers and buckles everywhere. To put it simply, “Me- ow”

Evangeline laughs. “Okay, can you grab my pocketbook for me? And you’re going to have to drive. My nails are still a little wet.”

She holds up her hands to show me her nails, which are now painted the colour of black cherries.

“No more pink, huh?’

“Well Catwoman probably did not have pink nails, so I’m trying to keep in line with the character.”

I pick up her pocketbook and open the door, putting my arm across her shoulder as she comes towards me. She immediately snuggles into the crook of my arm as we start walking to the elevators.

I try to ignore Evangeline’s constant demands for me to speed up and her complaints that I drive like a near sighted old lady. She loves to drive her sports car like she’s in a race, and the other day I had to threaten to give her a ticket before she would slow down. Needless to say, she was not pleased especially since we were late for the ballet because I got in late from work.

We pull up to Nora’s fifteen minutes later, and I try to convince Evangeline to go inside while I find a parking space, but she refuses, saying , “No, because if I’m not in the car with you, you take a million years to park. And then you men complain about how badly women drive.”

“No I complain about how crazy people drive.”

It takes a few seconds for it to sink in, but when Evangeline figures out what I just said, she punches me in the arm, exclaiming, “That was mean!”

“Careful, hon, I’m still driving.”

She pouts for the next five minutes as I find a space, pull into it, turn off the car, go around to the other side, open the door, undo her seatbelt and help her out of the car. She kisses me lightly on the chin before saying, “That’s why I can never stay mad at you too long. You’re too sweet.”

I grin. “That’s good to know.”

“Don’t use that as incentive to piss me off McBain.”

“I won’t. If you’re nails aren’t dry, your pocketbook will be staying in the glove compartment because I have no intentions to carry it.”

Evangeline shrugs dismissively. “I don’t really need it. Just lock the car.”

I lock it, and pull Evangeline to me so we’re trying to walk with her pulled close to my body. It takes twice as long, but we finally get to Nora’s front door and ring the bell. The door swings open and I have to resist the urge to laugh at Nora’s costume, but Evangeline burst into laughter. “Hey Pippi, what’s up?”

“Welcome to Villa Villekulla. Laugh and you won’t get in, and I might use my super strength to throw both of you out.”

“I didn’t laugh,”I protest, to which Nora replies, “I know and you’re a sweetheart. So much that I won’t kill you for not coming in costume. But next year, I’m not letting it slide.”

“Thanks Nora.”

She steps back for Evangeline and I to walk in. Almost immediately everyone quiets down, and I grin, knowing that they’re all looking at Evangeline. It really makes me happy that I’m lucky enough to have this amazing woman in my life.

We find Antonio, Layla and Jamie, who are dressed as a pirate, a vampiress and an angel, respectively. I barely get a chance to greet them before Layla drags Evangeline off, leaving me and Antonio with Jamie. We look at each other and shrug, saying the same thing, “Sisters.”

(Evangeline’s POV)

I grin as Layla drags me behind her all the way to the empty kitchen, knowing exactly what it is she wants from me.

“Evangeline, why are you wearing this costume? I thought you were going to be a cop. And why are you late?”

“Well, let’s just say that tonight John will be arrested by a very frisky cop.”

Layla instantly turns green. Well, that’s what she gets for being in my business all the time. “Next time, feel free to leave it at I changed my mind, and John’s my boyfriend. That’s all I need to remind me as it is.”

“So Ms. Sexy Vampire, what did Antonio say when he say your costume?”

She blushes bright red. “I’m not going to repeat it to you. No way in hell. Did you bring what I needed?”

“Lay, don’t you think that you and Antonio are taking this a little fast? I mean come on, adoption papers?”

“Vange, sometimes when you find love, you just have to jump on it. I’m not like you, my head doesn’t have to be involved with my heart all the time. Antonio and I have fallen in love and Jamie is such a sweetheart. I love her as if she were mine.”

I pull out a kitchen chair and sit, and Layla sits next to me. “I know sweetie. I know what it’s like to be in love, remember, but that doesn’t mean that you two have to move so fast.”

“Jamie is going to get confused. Kids at her daycare are asking her if I’m her Mommy, and I don’t know how to respond to that. I’m not her mother, but I’d like to be as close to one as I possibly can. And Antonio agrees. So are you going to do this or not?”

“I’ll do it. I just have to go get it from the car. I’ll be right back okay?”

She nods, and I go back into the living room, weaving my way in and out until I find John. I sneak up behind him and snake my arms around his waist.

“There you are,” he says, turning with a smile. Michael rolls his eyes at his brother’s rudeness and walks away, waving back at me.

“Here I am. I have to get some papers from the car for Layla, I’ll be right back. I need the car keys.”

He pulls them out of his pocket and hands them to me with a serious look. “Be careful, okay? I have a really odd feeling.”

“I’ll be fine. Love ya!”

“I love you too. Now hurry up and get back.”

I go to the front door and pull it open right before a group of trick or treaters ring the bell and sing out “Trick or treat!”

I hear a familiar voice and I frown slightly. “Matthew? Which one of the ninja’s are you?”

He pulls his mask off and smiles. “Hi!”

“Hi Matthew. Why are you trick or treating at your own house? You know your Mom always has tons of candy that you’re welcome to all the time. Go hit up some other houses.”

“But Mom makes me eat all my vegetables first before I can have any candy. And...I didn’t eat all my vegetables,” he whispers.

I smile as I take the bowl filled with candy and put a handful in each outstretched bag. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell your Mom. Have fun okay?”

He smiles and all the other children walk down the path to a waiting parent standing at the end of the driveway.

I walk to the car quickly, because truth be told, I was a little creeped out myself. I kept looking behind me because I had the feeling that someone was following me, though it was probably John. I wouldn’t put it past him.

As I’m walking away from the car a blindfold is slipped over my eyes and a pair of strong arms lifts me off the pavement and slings me across a very well developed shoulder. I don’t struggle, since I figure it’s John trying to be funny, which it isn’t and I ream him out while I’m trying to take my blindfold off as he sets me down.

“John, I don’t know what the hell would possess you to do this after everything that I’ve been through trying to get over my kidnapping. And I don’t care. This shit wasn’t funny.”

I truly am pissed now, because my heart is racing my hands are trembling and I think I’m going to throw up any minute. I almost pass out when I hear an undeniably male voice that is definitely not John’s say, “I think you’re right counselor. Your darling John McBain wouldn’t think that this was funny in the least bit. Which is the effect I’m going for, so I can’t say that I’m disappointed.”

Gasping, I spin around to meet the gaze of the Devil himself. Carlo Hesser.
Masquerade by jovanangel87
Chapter 21
(John’s POV)

Glancing at my watch with a frown, I realize that Evangeline has been gone for over an hour. I’m not being obsessive or anything, but I haven’t been able to shake this odd feeling that something is wrong with her. And there is no way that Evangeline could have come in without me seeing her.

Layla walks up to with a perturbed frown. “John, I know that my sister is hot and everything, but you think that you could have let her give me what I asked her for before you decided to go make out? And where is she now?”

“Layla, I haven’t seen your sister since she left. I was hoping she was with you.”

She shakes her head slowly, “No, but I’m sure there’s a good reason she’s missing. Let me go ask Antonio if he’s seen her.”

“Okay, I’ll go ask Nora.”

We walk off in opposite directions and soon, I find Nora talking to a group of masked people. Most likely half of them are on the force. I tap her lightly on the shoulder and she turns with a smile.

“Hey! Did you get tired of Catwoman groping you Mr. President?”

Now I know that everyone there is on the force. Only Nora and the guys at the station would have even gotten the joke, because a few days ago, Evangeline grabbed me as she was walking past in the bull pen. She thought that she was being discreet, but everyone saw, and I still can’t live it down. But I can’t really complain, because Evangeline was getting most of the teasing.

“No, actually, I haven’t seen her in a while. She left over an hour ago, have you seen her since then?

“I didn’t but she did mention that she was tired, maybe she went upstairs to lay down for a little bit.”

Even though I know that she isn’t upstairs, I thank Nora and go to check anyway. Rule of thumb is to check every alternative, every lead. Of course, she’s not there, and I as I race back downstairs, I call her cell phone again, but her voicemail picks up.

“Hi, this Evangeline Williamson. I can’t take your call right now, so please leave your name, number and a short message and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Have a blessed day.”

“Hey hon, it’s me. I have no idea where you are and I’m going nuts right now. So call me back when you get this. Love you, bye.”

It’s only after I hang up that I realize that Evangeline left her phone at the apartment, seeing no reason to take it with her if she wasn’t going to use it. I look around the crowded living room until my eyes meet with Layla’s. She shakes her head no.

I walk over to her and say, “I’m going to go to the car. I don’t know why she would still be out there, but I’m going to check anyway.”

“I’m going with you.”

I tell Nora where I’m going and Layla and I practically race to the car. High heels always made me glad that I wasn’t born a female, because I have no idea how Layla and Evangeline can move so fast in shoes that are three inches or higher.

When we get to the car, I don’t notice anything out of the ordinary. The car door is locked, and the lights are off. A few yards away from me, Layla bends to pick something up. I walk closer to her as she opens them, and all the blood drains out of my face when I see what it is.

“Someone kidnapped her,” I whisper, as a tear from Layla mars the smooth surface of the paper.

***********
(Evangeline’s POV)

After revealing himself to me, Carlo blindfolded me momentarily and pushed me in the back of a waiting limo with tinted windows. What kind of kidnapper puts their victim in the back seat of a limo? The trunk maybe, but not the back seat. Not that I would rather be in the trunk or anything, but that is a little odd.

We drive around in circles for twenty minutes before we actually start to move in a definite direction. I turn and sneer at Carlo. “No amount of driving in circles is going to confuse me. I know exactly where we’re headed, and I’m sure that if you didn’t want me to know what was going on, you would have blindfold me. You want me to be uncertain.”

He smiles. “Your intelligence is quite endearing Ms. Williamson. But it is also the reason why you are in this predicament. You see, I have eyes and ears everywhere and I was informed that you figured out that I kidnapped and brainwashed Cristian Vega. I was overjoyed when you told your Lieutenant, because you see, you’re my leverage. I have an old score to settle with him anyway, and now, I can guarantee that the truth about my role in Cristian Vega’s kidnapping and subsequent brainwashing is never revealed.”

“Wow, you must be the smartest kid in your class! Would you like me to give you a gold star or something?”

Silently, he reaches across and slaps me. It was slow enough that I could have moved away, but I refuse to fear him at all.

“Watch your tongue Ms. Williamson. I’m not your cop that you can speak to me anyway you chose. You will treat me with respect.”

Another remark comes to mind, but I bite it back. Since I’ve been kidnapped before, I should be used to the egotistical, maniacal behaviour of kidnappers. Hell, I could write a book. I’d name it, How To Survive Being Kidnapped, and it would have one sentence. “Don’t get kidnapped.”

It’s the only sure way.

I glance at the black leather watch that John gave em for Christmas last year, and realize that I left the party over an hour ago, and John is probably freaking out right about now. With a sigh, I close my eyes partially and lean back against the seat. Running the risk of sounding incredibly conceited, even to myself, I can’t help but worry about how John is going to react when he realizes that I’ve been kidnapped. I can only hope that he doesn’t completely fall apart, because if I’m going to survive this at all, I’m going to need John to be my knight in shining armor one more time.
Clue by jovanangel87
Chapter 22
(Bo’s POV)

I glance up surprised as the door to my office flies open and bangs against the wall violently. John and Layla are standing in the doorway, and John looks like...well, hell.

“What is going on you two? Shouldn’t you be at the party? And where’s Evangeline?”

“She’s been kidnapped. Bo, you have to put out an APB on her.”

I get up from around my chair and walk around my desk. “Why don’t you two have a seat, and tell me what’s going on.”

They sit in the chairs across from my desk, and after handing them two cups of coffee, I sit down at my desk.

“Okay, what’s all this about Evangeline being kidnapped?”

“We were at Nora’s party, and Evangeline realized that she left these adoptions papers in the car“ ”

“You and Evangeline are adopting?”

“No, they were for me. And if it weren’t for me, she wouldn’t be missing,” Layla says, bursting into tears.

John stares at her, flabbergasted, and if it weren’t for the present situation, I might have laughed, because John gets very flustered around crying women. Before I can move though, John gets up from his chair and kneels in front of Layla. “Listen, it’s not your fault, okay? Some sick asshole decided to take your sister, but I’m not going to rest until I find her. I promise, okay?”

“Well if I’m not allowed to blame myself, then neither are you McBain. I’m not the only Williamson who’s onto your game.”

John smiles slightly, and stands. “Bo, you may not think that she’s been kidnapped. I know you’re probably thinking that she just went to get a cup of coffee or something like that. But I know that she’s been kidnapped, I can feel that she’s scared. But at least put out the APB. Just to shut me up. And if it turns out that I’m wrong, you can all make fun of me for being overprotective, but I’m not going to take any chances. If you won’t listen to me, I’m just going to go looking for her on my own. But I’d rather have your help.”

“John, if you say she’s missing, then I’m going to do everything in my power to help you find her. I trust your judgement.”

“Thank you. Just hurry Bo, I“ I don’t know what I’ll do if anything happens to her.”

“I know John. Don’t worry, we’ll find her.”

******
Meanwhile
(Carlo’s POV)

I stare a out the window, watching the lights of Llanview grow smaller and smaller as we gain altitude. A low noise turns my attention and I look across the aisle at the woman sitting in front of me. Evangeline Williamson. She really is a beautiful woman. And she’s spirited, which I thought was unusual for McBain.

I must say, I was disappointed. She didn’t put up much of a fight, other than punching one of my guards in the face, and kicking another one in the groin for grabbing her. They’re mostly mad because they couldn’t do anything to her. I gave them strict orders not to harm her. I want John McBain to find her, well cared for.

A beautiful, young stewardess comes towards us with a food cart and I gesture for her to offer Evangeline food. She looks up from her lap, looks at me and shakes her head. I laugh.

“You don’t have to worry. I haven’t poisoned your food or anything. Why do you think that I didn’t let my guards retaliate against your attack? I want John McBain to find you, safe and sound.”

She raises an eyebrow, but says nothing.

“You think I’m lying? I’m leaving clues, being careless. He’ll find you soon enough. His hopes will be raised at seeing you unharmed, and then he’ll watch you die in front of him. Just like the other love of his life. What was her name again?”

Her eyes flash angrily and I smile to myself as she hisses, “Yoo sick bastard! I swear, I’ll kill myself first before I let you put him through that. Or better yet, I’ll kill you.”

“You’re beautiful when you’re angry. You’re making me want to take the risk of indulging my self with you.”

As I expected, her face becomes a mask of calm, but her eyes betray her.

“I’m not hungry anyway. So no thank you.”

“Suit yourself. Come on over here sweetheart, I’d love to eat something.”

She grins at the innuendo and I wink at her as she walks over and places herself in my lap. “Maybe we shouldn’t embarrass our guest. Later?”

“You bet.”

She leaves the cart and walks away, leaving just Evangeline and I. She crosses her legs and her arms and stares out the window. This is going to be very fun.

*******
(Layla’s POV)

I watch John from the couch in his office, as he makes call after call, and barks orders at his officers. Despite his rough treatment of them, they smile sympathetically and go immediately to do what he asks.

“Layla, maybe you should go home. It doesn’t make sense for you to stay here, there’s nothing you can do ,”John says, holding the phone against his shoulder, and covering the mouthpiece.

I shake my head. “No. I’m not leaving this station until you do. Being stubborn is the only thing that I’m better at than my sister.”

My cell phone rings and turn slightly to answer it. “Hello?”

“Layla? Has John gotten any leads?”

“Hi Antonio. Um, no, they put out an APB, we just have to wait for something to come in.”

“Okay, I’m going to hire a private detective. See what he can find out.”

I roll my eyes, even though I know Antonio can’t see me. “This is my sister we’re talking about. You really think that a private detective will find her faster than John will? You’d just be wasting your money.”

“That’s true. I took Jamie to Mami’s, so I’m coming down to the station. When the tips start pouring in, they’re going to need all the help they can get.”

“I’ll see you then.”

I hang up, and turn to face John, who has this glazed over expression on his face. I can hear someone on the phone asking, “Sir, are you there?”, but it’s as if he’s deaf to it. I stand and take the phone from John. “I’m sorry, can the Lieutenant call you back in a few minutes?”

“Tell him that if he knows anything about the whereabouts of Prisoner # 13131, he needs to call the warden back as soon as possible.”

“Will do.”

I hang up and ask John, “Who’s Prisoner #13131?”

“Carlo Hesser.”

“Okay. What does he have to do with Evangeline?”

“He has her.”
Under The Tuscan Sun by jovanangel87
Chapter 23
(John’s POV)

****
I've got love on my mind
I've got love on my mind
I've got love on my mind
And there's nothing particular wrong
It's a feelin' I feel inside
When I woke up early this mornin'
It was starin' me straight in my eye

I stare from the door, slamming it behind me, as Evangeline glides towards me, singing, with a flirtatious grin on her face, and a very silky, lacy negligee on.

“What is this?”

“Well I came home, and got my mail today and I found my Victoria’s Secret catalog. And as I was looking through it, I asked myself when was the last time I seduced my very sexy boyfriend. I couldn’t come up with an answer, so I went out and bought this negligee, picked up some nice wine, a few steaks, and hunted down this Natalie Cole CD, because I love this song, and my all time favourite song would end up with us on the floor making out and dinner getting burned.”

I smile. “I’m not averse to dinner getting burned. I don’t need food when I’m with you.”

“But trust me, you’re going to need food tonight. A lot of food.”

She giggles as I pull her towards me in a searing kiss, picking her up and carrying her to the bedroom.


*****
I've got love on my mind
I've got love on my mind

I stare at the radio, and shake my head. Evangeline hasn’t even been gone for a full day yet, and here I am, sitting in the living room, the place littered with empty beer bottles, drunk out of my mind, and thinking about the last time we were intimate. A few days ago, I came home to find that Evangeline had planned a romantic dinner for the two of us. She was a little annoyed that our dinner got cold, but I warmed it up, and we fed each other in bed.

And now she’s missing because of me, and instead of working to find her, I’m drunk as hell in the dark. I throw my full beer bottle in the direction of the stereo, but I don’t hear it shatter. I squint in the darkness to find the mystery person who had to have grabbed it out of the air.

“If my sister comes back and finds that you broke her stereo, you will have to leave the country to prevent her from killing you.”

“Layla, leave me alone.”

She opens the shades and I blink and groan at the sudden shock of bright light. “What the hell is going on John? You took me home, you said you were fine, and now I find you sitting here in the dark, drunk and breaking stuff. Do you want to find my sister?”

I turn towards her and glare. “What do you think Layla? You know what I’ve been doing all night?”

“Other than making this place smell like a distillery? No.”

“Staring at the phone. Wondering how I’m going to call Lisa Williamson and tell her that her daughter has been kidnapped once agin because of me. I figured, hey, maybe a beer could take the edge off, make it seem less bad. Because that’s what I do without Evangeline, I use alcohol to deal with my problems. But I could never call your mother while I was drunk. So I’ve been staring at the phone, all night.”

I feel a tear slide down my cheek, and I make no moves to wipe it away. Why should I? Another will only follow in it’s place.

“John, please don’t make me have to hug you.”

I smile slightly. “Trust me, I won’t like it anymore than you will.”

“Good. Okay, here’s what you’re going to do. Take a shower, I’ll clean up the place a little. You’ll explain your Carlo Hesser theory to me, and then we’ll call my Mom, tell her what’s going on and find my sister.”

“Sounds like a good plan.”

I stand and walk towards the bedroom, turning as Layla calls out my name.

“Yeah?”

“We will find my sister. And when we do, I”m going to tell her about your little stereo incident.”

I smile sadly at her, knowing exactly what she’s doing. I’m supposed to be the one to make her feel better, but instead, she’s been working nonstop to make me feel better.

“I can’t wait for the butt kicking I’m going to get.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Evangeline’s POV)

As I open my eyes to the bright sunlight, turning my cheek as it warms my face, I have to bite back a sob, and swipe angrily at the tears that run down my cheeks. I’ve been up for hours, I even watched the sun come up, because I could barely sleep. I can’t remember the last time I’ve had to sleep a whole night without John. And I know that wherever he was in Llanview, he was definitely not at home, in our bedroom, asleep.

It’s been fourteen long, agonizing hours since I was kidnapped, and a lot has changed since then. First of all, I’m in a villa in the Tuscan countryside, in a large airy room, with a balcony that overlooks a vineyard. I’m wearing an exquisite nightgown made of the finest silk and trimmed with hand-made lace, and sitting on a bed made with soft cotton sheets. I’m surrounded by all this finery, but I can’t even enjoy it. I don’t want to.

Someone knocks on the door, and I figure it must be my maid, since she’s the only one in this God forsaken house who would knock.

“Come in.”

“Good morning signorina, I have your breakfast. Signor Hesser insists that I stay to watch you eat. He says that you aren’t well, and you sometimes say things that are imagined, and are just a big joke.”

I glance at her startled. She speaks of him reverently, as someone would a father or an older brother. Except knowing Carlo, that’s not the basis of their relationship.

“How old are you?”

“Eighteen. In a month anyway.”

“Sick bastard,” I mutter under my breath, not even caring that she looks startled. So what if she tells him, he knows what I think about him anyway.

She places the tray she’s holding down on a table, and takes the lid off of it, and I go over and take a seat in front of it. There’s a plate with prosciutto and grapes on it, and another with a loaf of bread. I’m surprised, and then angry to find that there’s a knife on my tray. A sharp one. This girl’s life is invaluable to him, even though she more than likely as not shares his bed. People aren’t people to Carlo, they’re pawns in a game. And that makes me even more scared than I already am. John and I aren’t the only one’s that are involved in this little chess game of Carlo’s, I realize that now.

I can only hope that John realizes it soon, or others that we know and love are going to be in just as much trouble as we’re in now.
Mirror, Mirror by jovanangel87
Chapter 24
(Evangeline’s POV)

As the warm water cascades down my back, I can’t help feeling like I’m being watched. Despite the fact that this villa is quite old, the plumbing and electrical wiring are all up to date. Which would mean that there are probably cameras somewhere in the bathroom. Come to think of it, there are probably cameras all over my room.

I can’t do anything about this. Carlo had to know that I would eventually find the cameras. He wants me to look for them. He wants for me to be scared, to turn into this quivering sobbing mass willing to do anything just so he won’t kill me. He can’t see inside of me to know that I am a quivering, sobbing mass. But I’m not going to let John walk into a trap. When John eventually gets here, he is not going to watch me die. I absolutely refuse to let that happen.

I finish rinsing the shampoo out of my hair, and step out of the shower, wrapping a thick burgundy Egyptian cotton bath sheet around myself. When I step into the adjoining bedroom, Carlo is sitting on the bed, smoothing his hand over the blue dress that I put out to wear after my shower.

He smiles at me, and I roll my eyes. “What are you doing in here Carlo?”

“This villa is mine. So are all the rooms in it. I can be anywhere that I want to be.”

“Oh! So is that why you have your goons watching me in the shower? And while I get dressed in my room? They can enjoy the show for now, but if they somehow turn up blind, then don’t blame me.”

“You know, just because they can not punish you doesn’t mean that you have free reign to harass my guards. Because at any moment I might decide that I want John McBain to get here and find you battered and broken. So don’t push your luck.”

I finish tying the bath sheet around me, and put my hands on my hips. “Carlo, turn the cameras off, or I will break them. Tell your men to stop ogling me, or I’ll make them wish that they had never set eyes on me. No matter what you do to me, there are two things inside of me that you have no power to break. My spirit and my heart. But you can feel free to try. I meant what I said. John is not going to get here and watch me die. You may be stronger than me physically. But the love that I have in my life makes me stronger that you will ever be. And hey, desperate times call for desperate measures. You don’t know what I would do for love. So don’t underestimate me.”

He smiles. “I see that you’re not the only Williamson with actors blood pumping through your brains. You forget something Evangeline, my dear. I’m a predator by nature. You may be putting up a brave front, but I can hear your heart beating double time. It’s thunderous. But I must admit it. You do impress me. You refuse to be controlled, even at a time when you have absolutely no power. So I will have the cameras turned off. But make no mistakes Evangeline, you’ve only won this battle. But I’m definitely going to win the war.”

He stands to leave the room, placing the dress gently back on the bed. As he opens the door, he turns back and looks at me. “Hurry and get dressed. Dinner is waiting for you. Wear the green dress instead of the blue, that one is too short to be an evening dress. And do something with your hair. I don’t like it hanging down in your face like that. There’s jewelry and perfume on the bureau. Make some use of it, we have company.”

“I’ll make sure to consider your suggestions when I’m getting dressed,” I reply.

He laughs. “You know Evangeline, I’m really starting to wish we had met under different circumstances.”

I nod and smile sweetly as he closes the door. I’ve got one hell of a fight ahead, and if I want to come out the victor, I’m going to have to let Carlo think he’s got the upper hand. As much as that kills me.

*****
(John’s POV)

Layla has been at the station with me since this morning, helping me chase lead after lead. Most of them were dead ends. People making things up, because Todd stupidly put out a reward for information on where Evangeline is, and then Kevin Buchanan had to try and one up him, and made the reward larger. Which is just making the false leads come in faster.

Calling Lisa this morning, to tell her that Evangeline was missing was incredibly heart breaking. The way she broke down over the phone...I could do nothing but apologize and promise her that I was going to find Evangeline. She told me that I wasn’t to blame myself, but I can only wonder what she’ll say when she gets to Llanview and I explain to her exactly why her daughter is missing.

I also called Mom to tell her about Evangeline. She was at port, and so she caught a plane immediately and is also on her way. I wish that I could say that I told her not to come, but I need her to be here.

I look up at a loud rumbling noise, which I’m positive isn’t coming from my stomach. Layla hasn’t moved all day, she’s been answering phones for hours. I feel for her every time some jerk says something stupid to her. But she doesn’t let that get her down for long. She tells them off and moves on to the next caller.

I tried to convince her that she shouldn’t be answering the phones, since she doesn’t work at the station, but she convinced me that the only way that she wasn’t going to be answering phones and trying to help with this investigation would be if I had her put in a holding cell. So I know that telling her to go get herself something to eat is out of the question. But she needs to leave the station, even if it’s only for a little while, or she’s going to break down.

“Layla, can you do me a big favour please?”

She looks up at me and frowns. “I’m not going home to take a nap like you asked me to two hours ago. So just stop.”

“I was actually going to ask you if you could go to Carlotta’s and pick up some lunch for me.”

“Normally, I would tell you that I’m not your messenger girl, but just this once, I’ll go. I’m feeling a little hungry myself. What do you want?”

“A burger and fries. And a strawberry banana smoothie.”

She gives me a weird look, but stands and puts on her jacket, ignoring the bills that I pull out of my wallet. “It’s okay, this one is on me.”

Rather than argue with her, I let her go. I just want her away from the station for as long as possible. Which is why I told her to get the smoothie. I hate anything with bananas, but I know that Carlotta uses fresh fruits and she makes the smoothies when they’re ordered. That’ll have Layla outside of the station for a little while longer.

The telephone rings, and I pick it up. “Hello?”

“I know where Carlo Hesser took your girlfriend.”

I almost drop the phone. No one but Layla and Bo knows that I suspect that Carlo Hesser took Evangeline. We know that he somehow made early parole, but he doesn’t have a parole officer. And this lady didn’t just call the police station, she called my private extension, knowing that she would reach only me.

“What’s your name? And how did you get this number?”

“Annelise Neugebauer. And I’ll tell you how I got this number when I a chance to speak to you. But I will only speak to you.”

“Okay. How far away from the PD are you?”

“An hour. Don’t tell anyone of this call. If you do, I won’t tell you anything. No matter what you do to me.”

Rather than sounding like she’s the one with all the power in the conversation, she sounds as if she’s pleading with me. But this is Carlo Hesser we’re talking about. Who knows what he’s threatened to do to her.

“Don’t worry Ms. Neugebauer. You just focus on getting here. I won’t tell a soul.”
Coffee Klatsch by jovanangel87
Chapter 25
(John’s POV)

After hanging up with Annelise, I called one of the officers to get me all the files that he could find on Carlo Hesser. I get the feeling that him kidnapping Evangeline has to do with a lot more than Cristian’s case. If he was out to get her, then it wouldn’t make that much sense to kidnap her. But if he were out to get me, then kidnapping her makes perfect sense. So now we need to figure out what exactly it is that Carlo Hesser has against me.

After Layla and I had our lunch, we went back to answering phones, and we’ve been doing them until we hear a commotion outside the door. I get up and walk out to the bullpen, with Layla right behind me, where we see our mothers telling off one of the officers. If the situation weren’t so serious and volatile, it would be funny, because Officers Yoates and Leonard are both over six feet, and they are being yelled at and threatened by two moderately small women.

“Hey, what’s going on out here?”

Both Mom and Lisa immediately stop yelling, and rush over to Layla and I. Officer Yoates comes over to me with an apologetic smile.

“I’m sorry Lieutenant, we tried to tell them that you didn’t want to be disturbed, but they insisted.”

Lisa turns to look at him with blazing eyes. “My daughter is missing, and I think that I have the right to ‘interrupt’ the Lieutenant in charge if I want to. So why don’t you scat?”

I smile apologetically at Yoates as he makes his retreat. That is one thing that both Layla and Evangeline got from their mother, the ability to cut people down to size with just a few words.

“Mom was your flight okay? And Lisa?”

Mom looks up and smiles at me. “It was fine Johnny. Don’t worry about me right now. How are you holding up?”

“Horribly. But Layla here has been knocking me over the head every time I get caught up in self pitying reverie. We haven’t got many leads so far, but I can feel it, we’re close.”

Lisa grabs my hand, and stares at me, her eyes begging me for some sort of good news.

“Is she okay John? Do you really think that she’s okay? I know that I’m supposed to be able to feel it, but maybe it’s just me hoping that she’s fine. And it’s tearing me up inside, not knowing if she’s hurt somewhere. Needing you, needing me, needing her sister, needing any of us.”

“I know that she’s scared. But she’s not hurt. I think...I hope that I would know. And we’re going to find her.”

Lisa nods, and lets go of my hand, and reaches for Layla again, and I look down as my phone vibrates on my hip. I take it out of the holder and flip it open.

“Hello?”

“Meet me in the last booth of the Diner across from Angel Square. If you’re not there in twenty minutes, I leave.”

“Okay. I’ll be there.”

I end the call and turn back to see three expectant faces, staring at me.

“Was that about Evangeline?”

Avoiding her eyes, I shake my head at Lisa. “No, it’s about another case that I’m working. I have to go, I’ll be out for only a little while. Layla, can you come with me to my office? I’ll give you the keys so you can take Mom and Lisa back to the apartment.”

Layla gives me a weird look, but follows me nonetheless. When we get in my office, I lock both doors behind us and turn to her.

“I need you to do me a favour, but you can’t ask me why.”

“Why?”

“My phone has a GPS tracker chip in it. If I don’t come back, or speak to you in an hour, then call Bo. He’ll know how to find me. And...you still have your own set of keys to the apartment, take Mom and Lisa there. Once you get there, don’t leave the apartment. I’ll have an officer waiting outside the apartment, until I get back.”

Layla rolls her eyes. “John, don’t you think that you’re being a little paranoid? You’re going to be start worrying so much about everyone else that you’re going to forget that my sister is the one that’s actually missing.”

“Listen to me! I can’t forget that Evangeline is missing, I’m doing everything that I can to find her. But I’ll be damned if when I find her, I have to tell her that something happened to her little sister. Or her mother. Or even my mother. So please. Just do what I ask you to. I can find Evangeline much faster if I don’t have to worry about you somehow finding yourself in danger.”

“Okay, so how does this GPS thingie work?”

I smile. “Layla, I know this is hard for you too. It’s hard for me to remember sometimes that I’m not the only one that needs Evangeline, but that’s mostly because I’m pretty selfish when it comes to sharing her time. I appreciate what you’ve been doing to help, not only with finding your sister, but also with keeping me on task.”
She smiles. “Go speak to whoever you have to speak to John. I’ve got your back.”

Nodding, I walk out of my office. It’s a good thing that the station really isn’t that far from the Diner, only a five minute walk, so I get there within good time. I head straight to the back booth, where a woman is sitting with her back to me, so all I can see of her is her long black hair.

I slide into the seat across from her. “Annelise?”

She lowers her mug of coffee. “Lieutenant, I was beginning to think that you wouldn’t show up.”

“This case is important, of course I would show up. You said that you know where Carlo Hesser took Evangeline Williamson. What I want to know is how do you know that we suspect that Carlo Hesser took her. That information wasn’t released.”

“I don’t know what you people suspect or don’t. I know that Carlo Hesser took your girlfriend.”

“Her name is Evangeline. She fills more shoes than just being my girlfriend. And how do you know that Carlo Hesser took her?”

“I know because I saw him take her onto a private plane. He left a note at the desk for you, and said that I was to deliver it to you, and you alone. Which is what I called you to meet me here for.”

She pulls out a sheet of paper from her messenger bag and hands it to me, but I’m so angry that I can barely breathe. Evangeline has been missing for almost 24 hours now. And this woman has had information on her whereabouts for almost the same amount of time. And she’s just now deciding to come forward with it.

“Why are you just now bringing this information to me? Do you have any idea how dangerous Carlo Hesser is? He could have done anything to her in this amount of time.”

“Lieutenant, I remember when you first came to Llanview. So I know that you’ve only been here a short while. I’ve been here all my life. I know that Carlo Hesser is a dangerous man. He’s also a very smart man. He had his own plan of when I would give you this note or whatever it is. He told me when to call you, when to meet you, even where to meet you. I have a five year old at home, and a ten month old as well. He threatened my family, so I’m sorry if I had my priorities straight, and I chose to protect my children before some lady that I don’t even know. I’ve done my duty. So I’m leaving now.”

She gets up to leave as I open the folded note and call, “Wait a minute!”

“What?”

“You said you saw her?”

She smiles slightly. “Yes. She’s not hurt in any way, if that’s what you’re wondering. And she looked like she’d give anyone who tries to mess with her a good kick in the groin.”

‘That’s what I’m afraid of.’

“Thank you. I really appreciate you doing this.”

“You’re welcome. I hope you find her.”

She walks away, and I unfold the sheet of paper slowly, my eyes running over the words on the page. It’s a travel itinerary...with directions from an airport in Italy to a villa that seems to be in some small village. Crumpling the paper, I shove it in my pocket and stand angrily. I’ll touch bases with Layla, and then I’m on the next flight to Italy. That cocky SOB just got himself an appointment with death.

*********
(somewhere in the Tuscan countryside)
(Evangeline’s POV)

I walk down the stairs slowly, ignoring the leering grins of the guards as I pass them. When I reach the bottom of the stairs, a man who I presume to be the butler takes me gently by the arm and escorts me to a room where Carlo Hesser is sitting by himself in front of a fire, nursing a tumbler of whisky.

“Mr. Hesser, your final guest is here.”

Carlo stands slowly and turns, and I have to bite my lips to keep from smiling at the surprised look on his face. I realised that me provoking him is exactly what he wants me to do, so I’m doing the opposite, listening to whatever he tells me to do. So I put on the dark emerald evening gown that he told me to wear, along with silver sandals, and a platinum necklace with an emerald and diamond pendant nestled right in the V of the gown. I asked the maid to bring me a curling iron, which I used to curl my hair, and I used two jeweled combs to hold my hair out of my face.

“Well Evangeline, I must say I’m shocked. You look lovely.”

I paste on a demure smile. “Thank you Mr. Hesser.”

“Enzo, you may go now. I’ll escort Ms. Williamson to the dining area.”

“Yes sir.”

I turn as he leaves, and I can feel Carlo walking towards me from behind. “I don’t know what it is you think you’re up to Evangeline, but you better not try anything in front of my guests, or you will regret it.”

“Don’t worry Carlo, I’m not going to try anything. I’m just doing exactly what it is that you told me to do.”

He grabs my arm roughly and pulls me towards him. “Listen Evangeline, I’m not in the mood to play games with you right now. You’re supposed to be the daughter of a good friend of mine, visiting from the States. So if anyone asks you, I’m your godfather. It’s not that far from the truth. Now come on.”

What does he mean by that?
Secrets Revealed by jovanangel87
Chapter 26
(John’s POV)

Layla, Mom and Lisa stare at me, disbelieving, as I tell them where I think Evangeline is. I’ve yet to Lisa and Mom who I think kidnapped her, because I really don’t want to scare them more than they already are, but I know that I’m going to have to. There’s no way around it.

“Okay, let me get this straight. You think that some psycho took my Cookie halfway across the world, but you don’t know exactly why. Who is this person?”

I take a deep breath. “Carlo Hesser.”

Mom pales visibly and Lisa gives me a confused look. “Isn’t he the man that was arrested the same time that Evangeline was kidnapped the first time, for kidnapping someone named Blair Cramer?”

“Yes, well apparently he got early parole. I don’t know. I’m going to Italy tonight to find her.”

“By yourself? Evangeline was wrong when she said that you did some stupid things. Only a crazy man would do that,”Layla says, her voice raising with every word.

“Look, he left that information for me to find, for him this is a game. He’s expecting me to swarm the place, so going alone is my best bet.”

“Johnny, let me come with you. You shouldn’t go by yourself.”

I shake my head at Mom, but before I can even say anything, Layla pipes up, “We should all go with you John, I’m sure we can help you in some way.”

“That is true John. We may not be able to do much, but I’m sure we can do something. Anything, I just hate being so helpless. I want to help find my daughter.”

“Hold on a minute Lisa. Layla, can I see you in the kitchen for a minute.”

I get up and walk towards the kitchen, looking behind me to make sure that she’s following me.

“Layla, remember that whole conversation that we had at the station about me not being able to make sure that the three of you are safe if you’re not in the apartment? On a plane to Italy is not the apartment. In Italy is not the apartment.”

“John, are you really going to go outside, and tell my mother that she can’t help find her own daughter? And you’re going to tell me that I can’t help find my own sister? How are you going to be able to keep us safe if you don’t know where we are because we went off on our own. Your Mom you’ll know where she is, because even you’re not crazy enough to tell a mother no for anything. So you decide.”

Two hours later, all four of us are sitting in the cabin of Todd’s private jet, surrounded by numerous files that we’re all going through. After I finally gave in, despite my better judgement, Layla called Todd and used her persuasive skills to get him to let us use the jet. I would have preferred not having to owe Todd a favour, but all the same, this will get us to Italy much faster than if we flew commercial.

“Mom, you’ve been really quiet for a while now, is anything wrong? I mean other than the obvious.”

“There’s something that I have to tell you Johnny. I never thought that I’d have to have this discussion with you, thought it was all a part of our past, but by some wretched twist, it’s now a part of our present.”

I glance over at Lisa and Layla, who are engrossed in the files that they’re looking through, then back at Mom. “Why are you talking in code? What’s going on?”

“Your father and I knew Carlo Hesser when we were in college. We were all good friends, for a very long time. He’s your.....”

“What Mom? He’s my what?”

“He’s your godfather.”

I stare at her for what seems like hours, when it’s really only been minutes.

“Mom, what are you talking about? That can’t be possible.”

“Wait, I’m not telling you this right. When we first met, his name wasn’t Carlo Hesser. It was Richard Peterson. We were friends all throughout college, and he went to the Police Academy with your father. We had been friends for years, when you were born, we asked him to be your godfather, and he readily agreed. He used to come around all the time, but the visits waned when your father kept getting promoted, and he didn’t. I still don’t know what happened, but one day your father came home and said that he didn’t want him to be around you or Michael. That was pretty much the last I heard of him until I saw his picture in the newspaper, and he had a different name.”

“So you don’t have proof that Carlo Hesser is the same person?”

“John, I know it’s him. He didn’t change how he looked, just got a new identity.”

I run my hands over my face, trying to get this all through my head. Even with all this information, none of this makes sense. I think I’m just destined to have psychopaths try to screw me over. But this is one psycho that’s not going to get away with that.

“Mom, if all that you’re telling me is true, and Carlo Hesser is this Richard Peterson, then why did he kidnap Evangeline? If it’s to get to me, then why does he even want to get to me?”

“I don’t know John. There’s a whole other part of this story that we don’t know. Just focus on finding Evangeline and getting her back for now.”

I stay silent, and after a few minutes, she pats my hand and stands, going over to where Lisa and Layla are.

***
(Evangeline’s POV)

Sighing, I pull the heavy earrings out of my ears and take the combs out of my hair. Kicking the high sandals off, I flop backwards on the bed.

I was finally able to get away from the dinner party, because even though I told Carlo I had a headache, he refused to let me go, until one of the guests noticed me wincing. I curl up on the bed, holding my stomach, which has been flipping and flopping all night, which is not a good thing. I can’t get sick...right now is not the time.

I did manage to learn a few things about Carlo...apparently he’s this big philanthropist, at least he is here. He’s opened some women’s shelters and other stuff, but I’m almost sure that these are just covers. Who’s going to think that a kindly gentleman who always has a treat with him for the children who live around here, is capable of kidnapping, among other things.

I sit up abruptly as the door slams open and light from the hall spills into the dark room. A tall silhouette is clearly outlined against the bright lights, and I know it’s not Carlo.

“What do you want?”

He comes farther into the room, switching on the light, and I get a good look at his face. If it wasn’t for the nasty scowl, the ugly glitter in his eyes, and the huge purple bruise that I left on his nose when he grabbed after me, he would be very attractive. But his problem is that he thinks because he’s attractive, I must be attracted to him. Fall at his feet, and beg him to take me.

“Well, the maid told me you weren’t feeling well, I came to check on you.”

“Like hell you did. What do you really want?”

He walks all the way up to the bed and reaches out to touch my hair. “You. And see the thing is, I always get what I want. The boss isn’t here to protect you. So it’s either one of two things. You give yourself to me willingly. Or you fight back and I beat you black and blue and I still get you.”

I smile. “Either way I lose?”

“Yeah pretty much.”
I stand slowly, ignoring the throbbing in my head, and step closer to him, a pleasant smile on my face.

“Well then, I guess I’m just going to have to....fight back you evil bastard.”

I knee him in the groin, and push the heel of my hand against the bruise that I left on his nose the first time he tried this crap. He doubles over in pain, and I take the opportunity to race out of the room, and into the bedroom next year, which I know is empty. I open the window, and step out, shimmying down on the drain pipe that is luckily right beside the window.

Once my feet touch the ground, I duck down quickly, so no one will see me in the chance that they look out the window. I feel like some kind of secret agent, sliding down poles, ducking down, and running around all crouched over. As I get beyond the window, I straighten up slowly, and turn the corner of the house to come face to face with one of Carlo’s guests.

“Oh hello there. Are you feeling better?”

“A little. I thought some fresh air would help.”

The man smiles, and I wonder how exactly he knows Carlo. “It seems you and I had the same idea. It was getting to be a bit too stuffy inside.”

I smile politely, and try to fight off the wave of dizziness and nausea that just comes over me. But gulping in the fresh air isn’t helping, and I’m starting to think that Carlo poisoned all the food, or at least mine. I just know that I’m going to pass out right in front of this man, and I’m absolutely powerless to stop it. It’s only now that I really start to realise that I’m pretty damn screwed. Yeah....pretty much.
Stay Safe by jovanangel87
(Evangeline’s POV)

Opening my eyes slowly, all I can see are a two people shaped blobs and the blurry outline of lights above. I blink rapidly for a few minutes until my vision clears. When it does, I almost wish it hadn’t. Carlo is standing right over me, a diabolical grin on his face.

“Well hello there Sleeping Beauty. How nice of you to join us. Enjoy your cocktail?”

“What the hell did you give me?”

He shrugs. “A little bit of this, a lotta bit of that. All sorts of stuff. See I knew you couldn’t be trusted, and even with about ten men watching you, you would find a way to give them all the slip. So I slipped a little something in your soup. See it causes a bit of nausea by itself. Had you done what you said you were going to, and just gone to lay down, you would have slept it off in a few hours. The thing about this drug is that it reacts negatively to adrenalin, and the more there is, the bigger the reaction. In your case, it knocked you out for two days. I was starting to worry that you wouldn’t be awake in time for the entertainment I had planned for tonight.”

I look at him in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“Haven’t you heard? Your “knight in shining armour” arrived in Italy the same night you tried to escape. And right about now, he should be getting the invitation to join us tonight. As for you...we’re going to have to get you ready. Get up and shower. And try not to take too long in there. The drug, being fairly new has some adverse reactions that I know about, like blackouts and seizures, and some I don’t. So I’d be careful if I were you. And just in case you decide to try anything, Vincenzo will be right outside the door.”

I look past Carlo to the tall man standing by the door. He nods slightly, then turns to walk out the door, followed by Carlo. Now alone in the room, sit up slowly, trying to make sense of all that Carlo just said.

I’ve been out for two days, and John has been here for that same amount of time. If that’s true, then why hasn’t John saved me yet? Because as much as I tried to put on a brave face, and as much as I said about not wanting John to come any where near Carlo and his sick games, I really want“ no need John to save me. It’s the only way I’ll be getting out of this hell hole.

**********
( In a hotel room in Florence)
Layla’s POV

Biting my thumbnail, I watch as John paces the floor, yelling at whatever poor soul had the misfortune to pick up the LPD phone. He’s been calling all over the place since we got here, trying to pull up files on Carlo Hesser. But for some reason, he keeps on hitting dead ends. He finally got a lead from the LPD of all places, but whoever is on the other line seems to be unable to locate the files that John needs.

“Can you please just go find Bo, and ask him if he knows where those files are?”

John takes a controlling breath as he listens to what the person on the other end is saying, then explodes, “Dammit! Just do it already! Bo understands how important this is, you of all people Natalie should understand how important this is! Just get him and put him on the phone. I can’t deal with you anymore.”

Okay, so Natalie is not a poor soul, but she definitely will be when I get back to Llanview. John may not see it, but I know what Natalie is trying to do. Normally I would just mark it down to being petty, but not when my sister’s life is on the line. That isn’t a time to play games.

After a few minutes, John finishes his conversation with Bo and hangs up.

“You need something Layla?”

“Uh not really. Just wanted to check on you, see how it’s going.”

He gives me a bland smile. “It’s going...slowly.”

“Yeah I know. But I know you’re trying your hardest, and I really appreciate that. Actually, Mom and Eve sent me in here to tell you that we’re going to breakfast downstairs in ten minutes and they want you down there.”

He picks up Evangeline’s laptop, which he brought with him so he could have files sent to him, and types something in. “I’m not hungry.”

“You need to eat something John, you’re going to burn out.”

“I don’t need food right now. I don’t need to eat, or drink, or take a nap. Right now all I need is to find Evangeline. I have to find her! Nothing else matters until I do.”

I look at John as he rubs his hands over his face and takes a deep breath. His face is completely haggard, his eyes are red and have lost any signs of life. It’s like he’s turned into some sort of robot, and if it weren’t for his occasional outburst, I wouldn’t know otherwise.

“I understand John, I really do. But we’ve had this conversation before. You have to take care of yourself or you’re no good for Evangeline.”

“You think you understand, but you don’t. I’m not a whole person without Evangeline. No amount of sleep or food is going to make me look any better, any more healthy. So I’d rather just spend that time trying to find Evangeline.”

Yeah, he says that, until he passes out and has to go to the hospital. And he won’t be much good then either.

“Can you at least go to make Mom feel better? She’s already worried about Vange, she really doesn’t need to be worrying about you too.”

Sighing John smiles and shakes his head. “Fine. You’re not going to give up anytime soon, I might as well go. And I thought having a little brother was bad. Little sisters are hell.”

“The same applies to older brothers. Now come on, get a move on.”

I walk to the door and open it, to see a hotel employee with her hand raised, about to knock on it.

“Good morning. I was told to deliver this to Signor McBain. Is he here?”

John comes up behind me and smiles at the woman. “That would be me. Who is this from?”

“I don’t know, I was just told to bring this up here to you. Have a nice day.”

John takes the envelope from her and closes the door as he opens it and scans the page he takes out. When he’s done reading, he crumples the page and throws it in the dustbin by the door.

“What was that about?”

He stares at me for a few seconds before answering. “It’s from Carlo. He’s set up some sort of sick game that I’m supposed to participate in to get Evangeline back. I have to be at his villa tonight at eight. And I’m only telling you all of this because I trust that you trust me enough to take care of this.”

“I do. Now come on, let’s go get some breakfast.”

While I do trust John, it never hurts to have some extra help. I send up a silent prayer as we walk out of his hotel room.

Despite his protests of not being hungry, he refills his plate three times at the breakfast buffet and eats so fast that both Mom and Eve have to admonish him to slow down. I was somewhat surprised when he told them about the note from Carlo, I didn’t think that he would. But at least this way, we all know what’s going on.

Unfortunately, that also means that for the next few hours, we pace around like caged animals, not knowing what to do with ourselves. But somehow, we make it through the waiting, and at six in the evening, John knocks on the door of the hotel room that Mom, Eve and I share.

“Time to go?”

“Time to go. And when I get back, Evangeline will be with me.”

I smile. “I know. Be safe.”

“He will be. Mothers always bring extra love, and love conquers all in the end, right?,” Eve asks from behind me.

“You’re going with him?”

“Yes, I have some history with Mr. Hesser and a score to settle with him. I hope you don’t mind Lisa,” she says, looking at Mom.

“Are you going to do the best you can to bring Evangeline back to me, seeing as how I can’t do it myself?”

“I definitely will.”

“Then no.”

Standing, Mom walks over to a window and stares out, as Eve hugs me and John gives me a reassuring smile.

“Now hurry up and find her McBain, you know how Vange gets when you’re late.”

“I know. I won’t be late this time.”

He and Eve leave the room and I close the door and turn to Mom.

“You okay?”

“I’ll be fine baby. You’ve been such a comfort Layla, and I really appreciate it, though I should have been the one to comfort you.”

Moving closer, I hug her tightly and close my eyes, trying to draw on some of the strength that she’s been going on since this all started, because I’ve been working on pure denial.

“Mommy, you think she’ll be okay? And you think John and Eve will be too?”

Sighing, she hugs me closer. “Dear God, I hope so.”
Resuce Mission by jovanangel87
(Evangeline’s POV)

I will not throw up. I will not throw up. I will not throw up.

Over and over I keep chanting that in my head, even as wave after wave of nausea roll over me. I can’t tell if it’s a side effect of the drugs, or nervousness about tonight. I have no idea what Carlo has planned for tonight, but I do know that if John even gets the idea that there is something wrong with me, he’ll get distracted. And then we’ll be in big trouble. But without looking I know that I’m turning a not so nice shade of green.

Carlo walks into the room without knocking, and I turn my head to glance at him.

“Is it time?”

“Yes. Couldn’t you find something a little more flattering in the wardrobe?”

I look down at the black pants suit that I was surprised to find in the back of the wardrobe. It was obviously made for someone a little bigger than me, with fuller curves, so it hangs somewhat loosely on me. But it isn’t as restricting as a gown, and that’s what matters tonight. Being able to move fast.

“No.”

I stand and walk out of the room past Carlo, down to the dining room where three places for dinner are set. Ignoring the third setting, I take a seat at the table and stare intently at the floral arrangement in front of me as Carlo takes a seat across from me.

“Evangeline.”

I ignore him and stare down at the small bowl of soup that is placed in front of me. Louder this time, he calls my name and still I ignore him. But a few seconds later, the flash of metal so close to my face as Carlo plunges his knife into the table right above where I’m staring makes my look up at him. Anger glints in his eyes as I stare at him defiantly.

“Do not take liberties with me Evangeline. I am the kind of man who will cut off his nose to spite his face. I am not above killing you now and allowing Lieutenant McBain to come upon your corpse. As a matter of fact, it might be more ruinous to him to know that he just narrowly missed “saving” your life.”

In the little time that I’ve spent around him, I’ve learned a valuable lesson. Carlo feeds off of fear. His employees respect him because they fear him. They follow all of his orders without thinking, because thinking could cause them their lives. But the fact that I don’t show I fear him is unnerving. He doesn’t know what to do with me. What he doesn’t know is that I’m way more scared than he knows. At the mention of John’s name, my stomach contracts convulsively, with a pain so sharp, I have to hold my breath to keep from crying out.
“I wasn’t aware that I was taking liberties, but if I was, then I apologize.”

A smile slowly spreads across his face. “Ah, now you’re playing coy. It’s a pity really....we could have such fun. You’re an intelligent, beautiful woman, just my type.”

“I thought you like your women subservient? I’m anything but.”

“Ah, but my dear, your spirit can be broken, and then you could be re-molded to my liking.”

“I am neither a horse, nor a block of clay. But thank you for the offer.”

“You should know that if I wanted you, I wouldn’t offer, I would take. “

I blink and after a few seconds return to staring at my soup. For a while there is only the sound of Carlo swallowing his soup. A small knock sounds at the door behind me.

“You may enter,” Carlo barks.

The door opens, and one of the guards steps in nervously. “Mr. Hesser, your guests have arrived.”

Carlo’s brow wrinkles in confusion. “I only have one guest.”

“There are two at the door and they came together.”

“Very well. Send them in.”

The guard leaves, and returns a minute later. I can hear the footsteps of two other people with him, one of which is John’s distinctive light, but firm steady gait. I don’t dare turn around to face him, or to see who the other person is with him, though I can feel his gaze burning through the back of my head.

Carlo seems momentarily shocked, before he regains his control and smiles easily, almost flirtatiously. “Why Eve McBain. I haven’t seen you in decades, and yet you’re still the epitome of youthful grace and beauty.”

“And you’re still the epitome of an evil sonuvabitch. Now that we’ve got the pleasantries out of the way, please release my son and his girlfriend and we’ll talk about your problem with my family like adults.”

Wait a minute....problem with her family? How does Eve McBain know Carlo Hesser. I know the answer to that question would be ready in John’s eyes, if I could turn to face them, without the threat of seeing everything that he’s been through in the past few days.

“While I appreciate the laurel wreath, I regretfully must say no can do. This problem is between your son and I, not you and I. Evangeline here, was just a bit of collateral.”

Eve’s small, warm hand rests briefly on my shoulder, and I swallow tightly. For the first time since coming into the room, John speaks.

“Evangeline, are you alright?”

I manage to force out a strangled, “Yes.”

Carlo’s glance flickers briefly on me, before resting behind me.

“I didn’t touch a hair on her head, though at times I was sorely tempted. How you put up with her mouth constantly is beyond me.”

“Somehow I don’t believe you. Evangeline, look at me.”

I turn in my seat and smile at Eve faintly, who in return gives me a comforting smile. My eyes flicker to John’s for a second before resting on the painting right behind his head.

“Evangeline. Look at me. Please.”

Behind the cold glint of steel in his voice is the warmth of his love, and a strong desperation to know that I’m okay, and not physically harmed. I may have been scared of what I might see in his eyes, but John is equally scared of what he might see in mine. Taking a deep breath, I shift my gaze to John, silently confirming that I am in fact, okay. Ready to go home, but not physically harmed.

“How sweet. Now you couldn’t possibly think that it would be this easy, did you? Evangeline come to me.”

I stand and wordlessly move towards Carlo, who grabs me by the hair when I get close enough, and drags me to him. John starts forward, and Eve lays a calming hand on his arm, though fire snaps in her gray eyes.

“You all wonder why I do this? Why I go through such lengths to confront John McBain? This is so much more than me just kidnapping for Evangeline. Every thing that has gone wrong in your life, everything that has failed, was my doing. But you’re just like a chip off the old block. You don’t quit. But I’m going to make your life not worth living, even if it’s the last thing I do. You more than deserve it.”

“Carlo, what could John have ever done to you? The last time you saw him, he was eight years old. What kind of a pathetic, excuse of a man seeks revenge on an innocent eight year old?”

I give Eve a questioning look. I’m still not really understanding her connection to Carlo. I can hear him fumbling around behind me, using me as a shield.

“Even you, Eve, don’t know the whole story. You see, Thomas and I were both interested in you in college. You just broke it off with that scumbag Paul MacAlister. I thought I was being honourable by waiting an appropriate time. Meanwhile, my best friend took that opportunity to get close to you. The next thing I knew, you were getting married, and I was being asked to be a groomsman. Not even best man...I wasn’t important enough. Thomas got to be the head of the Narcotics Squad, my dream job. I worked under him. Then Eve had Johnny boy over here. I loved him before he was even born. Hard to believe, eh? When you and Thomas asked me to be his godfather, I was glad. I couldn’t have you, but at least I could have John, pretend he was my own. And for seven years I did. We spent so much time together, a lot of people thought that he was my son.

“Working in the Narcotics Squad means that you have access to millions of dollars of drugs. An easy living. I didn’t have the wife, and I didn’t have the family, and I didn’t have the dream job. My lack of morals came in handy. Soon I had a nice side business going on. Thomas never knew what was going on. I could have stopped when I had enough, and no one would know. I would have the life that I wanted so badly. And I would have had it too, if it weren’t for Thomas and his son, who was so much like him.”

“Carlo if your problem is with me and my father, leave Evangeline out of this, and we can settle this like men. Because right now you’re acting like some kid throwing a tantrum when they can’t get what they want.”

I have to bite my lips to keep from sighing. Just when I was starting to think that this would be easy. Carlo puts a grip hold on my neck and holds up a sharp dinner knife to it, gently drawing the back of the blade against my skin.

“Well, I think I’m going to keep Evangeline. I know you have one weakness, and that’s the women in your life. Just like the old man, you’ve got a saviour complex. You have to save everyone. Especially those you love. And besides, childish as it may be, I enjoy watching you squirm.”

(John’s POV)

I stand, clenching and unclenching my fists, watching carefully to make sure that Carlo doesn’t cut the sensitive skin at Evangeline’s throat. As there is a God, everything that he’s done to her, I’m going to do, two fold. She gives me a pleading look, and somewhere, something inside me melts. I may be scared, but she’s the one with the knife at her throat, so it might do us both some good if we just let Carlo talk for now.

“Carlo, why don’t you finish what you were saying, “Mom asks, placatingly.

“Thomas suspected someone on the squad was selling out. He promised severe repercussions when he found out who it was. One day I took Johnny to an amusement park he had been begging to go to for a while, which was convenient for me, because I needed to make a drop. I figured I could do it while John was going on the roller coaster, so I left him on the line to go take care of my business. Except the little midget was too short, so he came back. Right in the middle of my transaction. Of course, I didn’t know this until he had told Thomas, and he in turn had fired me, beaten me up, and told me to never come near his family again. Not only did I lose my job, I lost the closest thing to family that I had..”

As Carlo talks, I silently and carefully walk closer and closer to him, and he’s so engrossed in what he’s saying that he doesn’t notice. Or at least I think he doesn’t notice, but out of no where, he whips a gun out and points it at Evangeline.

“Take one step closer, and I’ll kill her right now.”

I stop abruptly and look Evangeline in the eye, and after a few seconds her short nod tells me that she knows exactly what I want her to do. Carlo gets so wrapped up in talking again that while the gun is still trained on Evangeline, his hold on her has relaxed.

Evangeline brings her arm up sharply to hit Carlo in the nose, and in surprise, he lets go of her long enough for her to duck away from him. His finger pulls the trigger of the gun and I rush to pull Evangeline out of the way. Unfortunately, I don’t move fast enough, and a searing pain in my shoulder lets me know that I’ve been hit. As I fall to the ground, my gun falls out of the holster and slides across the floor.

Evangeline reaches for my shoulder with a tentative hand, and I pull it away.

“It’s okay, I think I just got grazed. It barely even hurts any more. Are you okay?”

“You’re here aren’t you?”

The sound of another gunshot brings us out of our tender moment and reminds me that Carlo was only momentarily out of commission. But when I look up, I find Mom standing, white faced with my gun in her trembling hands, and Carlo on the floor with a hand clasping his neck, and bright red blood spilling from between his fingers.

I stand and slowly walk over to Mom, holding my hands out for the gun. I can hear her mumbling something over and over, and I cover her cold hands with one hand while I take the gun and put it back in my holster with the other.

“It’s okay Mom,” I say, glancing quickly at Carlo, who is now lying prone on the floor, his skin quickly losing colour, “I’m pretty sure that Carlo won’t be harrassing anyone in the near future.”

“I didn’t mean to kill him Johnny. But he killed your Dad, he killed Caitlyn, he kidnapped Evangeline, and he shot you. I had to do it. I had to!”

“Mom what are you talking about?”

Evangeline comes up behind me and says, “You weren’t paying attention to him while he was talking, but it was him who killed Thomas. He convinced Stephen Haver to kill Caitlyn, and the Killing Club murders changed from targeting Marcie, to targeting you when Carlo Hesser got in touch with Hayes Barber. He said if he lost everything that was important to him because of you, then you should suffer the same fate. Look, we need to get out of here. You need to get your arm taken care of, and Eve and I both need good long naps. We can talk about what happened some other time.”

I walk over to Carlo’s body and pull out my gun, with every intention of emptying it into his body. Evangeline must have realised what I was about to do, because she grabs my arms roughly and yells, “Dammit John! He’s probably already dead! What good is it to shoot him? You’ve spent all of your adult life taking responsibility for your dad’s death, and then for Caitlyn’s. And I know you still feel guilty over the Killing Club murders, and you’re berating yourself for sending me out to the car by myself on Halloween. It’s not your fault. At least you got some peace of mind from tonight. Pay attention to that John, instead of the fact that you couldn’t make Carlo pay for what he did. Isn’t it enough for you that I’m still alive?”

I look at Evangeline, tears streaming down her face, and at Mom, who still looks a little shaken, but at least has regained some colour and sigh.

“Evangeline, it’s still my fault. He did all of this because of me. How can I not blame myself?”

“Carlo Hesser is....was a sick man. It’s not your fault.”

“Your father wouldn’t want you to blame yourself Johnny. And neither would Caitlyn. And Evangeline obviously doesn’t want you to. So stop being such a martyr, and just enjoy life. You no longer have to worry about someone interrupting your happiness.”

I smile at Mom and take Evangeline’s hand. “I’ll try. But you can’t expect me to not keep an eye out. Old habits die hard. And I’ll try to let go of my guilt, because it’s really hard to always carry it around. Now can we please leave this place before we end up in even more trouble?”

Smiling, Evangeline squeezes my hand, and holds out her other to Mom. “Hey, I’ve been ready for a long while to leave this place. I was just waiting for you to get here.”

“I thought you didn’t like being a damsel in distress?”

A wink and a sexy smirk is the only response that I get. She’s back....
At Last by jovanangel87
(Evangeline’s POV)

As we walk out the front door of the villa, I realize that there is absolutely no one around to stop us from leaving, despite the fact that this place is usually swarming with guards. Apparently, John is thinking, because he turns to me and says, “I’m positive there were guards here when we came. Where did they all go?”

“The guards only obeyed Carlo because they were scared of what he would do to them or their families if they didn’t, for the most part. It was fear, not respect. Chances are they all scattered when they heard gunshots. Speaking of which, we need to get your shoulder checked out. It’s not really bleeding that much, but you may need stitches.”

John pulls me to him with his uninjured arm and smiles. “WE can take care of that later, but right now your mother and Layla are at the hotel, and they’d obviously love to see you.”

“Mom and Layla are here too? Next you’re gonna tell me that the whole town of Llanview came along to help you look for me?”

“No, but a lot of people did help. Todd offered us the use of his private jet and made hotel reservations so we wouldn’t have to focus on anything but trying to find you.”

“Looks like I’m going to have a lot of people to thank when we get back home.”

“Llanview missed you, and most of all, we missed you. And I’m sure I can speak for everyone when I say that we’re grateful we got you back un harmed.”

“Yeah, I didn’t get hurt, but your poor son did, “ I say to Eve, who gives me a kind smile.

By now we’ve reached the car and Eve hols out her hand to John. “Give me the car keys, I’ll drive back, while you and Evangeline get caught up. And that arm shouldn’t be doing anything but resting anyway.”

He hands her the keys, and we slide into the backseat while she starts up the car and drives down the driveway. The gate at the front was left open when the guards abandoned the place, so we have no problems getting out.

I rest my head lightly on John’s chest as we travel down the long road. His chest heaves with a shuddering sigh as he strokes my hair, and I pull away to look up at him.

“It’s okay John, I’m here with you and I’m fine. Stop thinking of what-ifs.”

He smiles. “You know me too well.”

“I love you, it’s my job to know you too well. Hey you know something?”

“No, what?”

“You took a bullet for me. And Eve, you shot the guy who kidnapped me. That makes you both my heros.”

Eve smiles in the rearview mirror and John chuckles. “Really? All I had to was take a bullet for you?”

“Well that and save me from a few bad guys. So how much sooner until we reach the hotel?”

John glances out the window and says, “About another forty five minutes probably....Mom isn’t too fond of fast driving.”

I shrug and lay back against John, wrapping my two arms around him. We spend the rest of the car ride silently staring out the window, immersed in our own thoughts. When Eve finally parks the car, I’m eager to get out and see Mom and Layla, but Eve holds me back and hands me a black duffel bag.

“I know that you’re eager to get reunited with your mother and sister, but you have blood all over your clothes. So you can just change clothes really quickly, and then we can go upstairs.”

Looking down at myself, I realize that she’s right, so I take the bag from her and slip into the bathroom in the hotel lobby to change clothes and rub the random smudges of blood from my hands and face. When I exit the bathroom, I feel a lot better wearing a bright pink V-neck tee shirt, and my favourite pair of jeans, which are worn in so much that the material is extremely thin. John has also changed into a clean shirt while I was in the bathroom, and now you can’t even tell that he’s been injured.

The three of us take the elevator to the third floor and when the doors slide open, I take in a deep breath and grab John’s hand tightly. He gives me a small smile as he walks up to a door and knocks on it. There is the light sound of footsteps before the door swings open to reveal both Mom and Layla.

They stare at the three of us for a good thirty seconds, and Layla is the first to react with a loud shriek. She grabs me in a fierce hug and literally bounces up and down. I let go of John’s hand and hug her back, and feeling her hot tears wet my cheeks, my own start to flow. I never realized how much I missed my crazy exuberant little sister, until she jumped on me. That reaction was classic Layla, a drama queen to the end, and the thought that I may have never witnessed another moment, Layla Williamson style just makes me sob harder.

When Layla releases her death grip on me, I turn to Mom, who is still standing by the door with a stricken look on her face. I hold out my arms. “Mommy.”

She gathers me in her arms, rocking me from side to side. “Cookie. Oh baby, I’m so glad you’re okay.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Layla hug and kiss both John and Eve and whisper something to John which makes him laugh and nod.

After a few minutes, I pull gently away from Mom and sit on the bed wiping my eyes. I couldn’t cry when I first saw John and Eve, but now my tears of joy just keep flowing because I’m so happy to see them all. Layla sits on the other side of me, and nudges me with her shoulder.

“Vange, save some for my funeral, huh?”

I laugh. “Who said I was planning on crying at your funeral?”

“I did, so you’re doing it.”

‘We’ll see about that.’

I glance up in surprise when Layla doesn’t respond to my comment, and repeat it. Everyone stares at me as if I’ve grown an extra head.

‘What?’

“Evangeline, what did you just say?”

I make a confused face. ‘I asked why are all of you staring at me like that?’

John walks over to me and tips my chin up, his eyes searching my face. Suddenly I realise that I haven’t heard anything that I was trying to say in the past few minutes. That must be one of the lingering side effects from the drug Carlo gave me. It’s like I keep sending the thoughts, but something is intercepting them before I can actually say anything.

After a few minutes, I clear my throat and venture yet again to speak. This time actual sound comes out. “You can all stop staring at me like that. I’m fine.”

Still holding my face between his hands, John stares down at me. His eyes are deadly calm, and show no emotion at all. That of course is what I have to be worried about, because I can’t tell what he’s about to say until he says it.

“What did Carlo do to you Evangeline? When I asked you if you were okay, you said yes, but obviously you’re not. And please don’t try to distract me.”

I look up, but Layla, Eve and even Mom have suddenly found the carpeting interesting and won’t meet my eyes. Lotta help they are. There’s nothing I can do but bite the bullet and tell John the truth.

“He gave me an experimental drug cocktail with some neurological side effects. It reacts with adrenalin and knocks a person out cold...so it basically was given to me to keep me from running away before he had his fun. I was out for three days, and luckily I only experienced a brief headache, and some difficulty remembering how to form words for a little while after I woke up today. But the drug is pretty much flushed out of my system now.”

John puts his hands on his hips and steps away from me. He’s silent for a long while, and then in a low, purposely controlled tone, he asks, “How dare you? Someone injected a harmful drug in your body. You were out cold for three days straight. And you decide to make no mention of this when you were asked repetitively if you were okay? If Carlo had done anything to you? If this hadn’t happened, would you have ever even said anything? You should be in the hospital, so they can identify what ever it is that Carlo gave you, so nothing further can happen to you. What if I woke up tomorrow morning to find you cold beside me, how do you think I would feel? How do you think anyone who loves you would feel? To have just gotten you back, and then to lose you again?”

I stare at John incredulously. Well it at least is a tad comforting to see that he will always be the same old John, spouting off without thinking. But all the same, he still needs to be told off.

“How dare me? How dare you John McBain! You wanna talk about being afraid to lose someone John? You want to try bring kidnapped twice because you love someone? Because that someone loves you? I’m constantly afraid that one day you’ll decide for me that I’m better of without you and you’ll just leave. Do you know how it felt to have to listen to Carlo hatch plans to kill me right in front of you, just so you could experience the pain of not being able to save the woman you love for the second time in your life? Sometimes I wished that I could just do it myself, just so you wouldn’t have to go through that again. Do you know how much guilt you feel when you’re used constantly as a pawn to hurt someone? Do you know how many nights I’ve lain awake, trying to think of a way I could take all your pain and your guilt, knowing that I would always be a source of some of it? You loving me keeps hurting you, but the thought of not being with you hurts more than I can bear. And yet, if I am with you, I’m helping to hurt you, and that hurts me. So I’m sorry if you think that I wasn’t thinking of all the people I love by not telling you about being drugged. I just didn’t want you to feel guilty because you couldn’t keep Carlo from hurting me at all. And don’t even say that you’re not, because I can see it all over you. You forget that I can read you better than I can read a book. What you feel, I feel. So don’t ask me how I dare, because I don’t know. Don’t you think that I want to be able to love you without looking over my shoulder, wondering what’s going to happen next? Who’s going to disapprove, try to insinuate themselves into our lives, just anything to make us unhappy.”

“Evangeline, I“ ”

I hold up a hand. “No. Let me finish. I don’t want to argue with you John. I don’t. In the time that I was away from you, every single argument that we’ve ever had seemed stupid. It just seemed to me like I could have spent all that extra time loving you more, laughing with you more. You know how people who have survived suicide attempts say that as they jumped or whatever, every problem in their lives seemed fixable? Well it’s the same when you’re convinced that you’re going to die at the hands of a madman. You find yourself coming up with solutions to almost every problem you have had in your life. We can spend all night yelling at each other, because we’re both a bunch of stubborn knuckleheads, and we always have to be right. But what I really want, is to spend the night wrapped safe in your arms. Because whenever we’re like that, the rest of the world falls away, and it’s just us, and we’re free to be happy, if even for a few moments before sleep claims us, and with sleep our insecurities. Trust me when I say that the drug has run its course, and is probably out of my system by now. I just want this whole ordeal put behind us, and our lives to get back to normal.”

I stare at John, waiting for him to respond, and wishing that all of that hadn’t come out in front of our families. Sensing my discomfort, Mom says to Layla and Eve, “We should go see if we can find some dinner, or a late snack. John and Evangeline, we should be back in a little while.”

Mom and Eve hustle out pretty quickly, but Layla hangs back a little before reluctantly running to catch up when Mom calls her from down the hall. She’s forever trying to get me to spill my guts, so I can see why this would be intriguing for her. I jump slightly when the door slams shut and take a deep breath.

John steps closer to me, and takes my hands in his. “You say that you want our lives to get back to normal, right? How soon do you want this? Because I’m pretty sure that planning a wedding tends to turn things upside down in peoples lives for a bit.”

“Why now?”

“Because I almost lost you four times, and when you add in the drugging five, and I think that it’s a bit of a wake up call from the Man Upstairs. A harsh one, but just the same. We’re ready for this next step. It’s one we both want, and quite frankly, I’m tired of people and forces trying to take you away from me before I can get a chance to propose. We can go looking for a ring when we get back to Llanview, but I just couldn’t wait until then to ask you.”

I grin and shrug. “Well I guess I can wait the time it takes to plan and have a wedding to get our lives back to normal. But tell me something.”

“What?”

“Is this what married life is going to be like? You rescue me from a madman, tearful reunions, yelling, spilling our guts then laughter and jokes?”

“Well if you take away the arguments, the madman and the tearful reunion, then yeah, I think something like that. Is it weird that we’re acting like all that happened tonight outside this room didn’t happen?.”

I shrug. “Probably.”

Smiling, John kisses me, and in that kiss is a welcome back, and a promise of so much more to come. A few minutes later Mom, Eve and Layla return and we share our news with them. After a little more celebrating, John and I say our goodnights and head off to John’s room. Always a man to take my needs and wants into consideration, John does spend the night with his arms wrapped around me, whispering that everything would be okay now. And for the first time in our relationship, I believe it.
This story archived at http://thehookupzone.net/JoVan/viewstory.php?sid=227