After Innocence by OLTLfantimes10
Summary: Three years after Innocent Love John and Evangeline live in New York City. She attends Columbia University Pre Med and he is on the verge of becoming a world renouned artist. One night drastically changes their lives and sets into motion a chain of ripple effects that could destroy their love.
Categories: Fantasy Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst, comedy, Mystery, Drama
Warnings: Violence, Sexual Content, Adult Language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 128531 Read: 19535 Published: 04/27/2006 Updated: 06/04/2006

1. Welcome Home by OLTLfantimes10

2. House of Chow by OLTLfantimes10

3. You have my heart by OLTLfantimes10

4. Gallery Showing by OLTLfantimes10

5. The Painting by OLTLfantimes10

6. Black Saturday Pt. 1 by OLTLfantimes10

7. Black Saturday Pt. 2 by OLTLfantimes10

8. Aftermath by OLTLfantimes10

9. I'm Scared by OLTLfantimes10

10. The Cottage by OLTLfantimes10

11. My Other Half by OLTLfantimes10

12. Surprise by OLTLfantimes10

13. Revelations by OLTLfantimes10

14. Desperation by OLTLfantimes10

15. I need time by OLTLfantimes10

16. Fighting for Family by OLTLfantimes10

17. The Truth by OLTLfantimes10

18. Conviction by OLTLfantimes10

19. Putting the pieces together by OLTLfantimes10

20. It all comes Full Circle by OLTLfantimes10

21. Epilogue~ Italian Dream by OLTLfantimes10

Welcome Home by OLTLfantimes10
Evangeline stepped out of the terminal and onto the curb and waved down the porter to get her a cab. She pulled at her hair clip letting her hair flow over her bare shoulders and then pulled it back up in a pony tail. Standing on the curb she waited in line for a taxi to come by and smiled as the driver came out and helped her with her carry on suitcase. Throwing her suitcase in the trunk she rubbed the nape of her neck pushing away the tension from her flight. How a two and a half hour flight turned into a four hour flight she will never know.

She slid into the backseat of the cab and closed the door as she waited for the driver to come around, “Franklin Place and White Street please…” she said taking her hair down and scratch her scalp.
The cabbie looked up into his rearview mirror at her with a questioning glance, “Don’t take any shortcuts I know my way around….” She said narrowing her eyes at him.

The cabbie nodded and pulled out into traffic. Evangeline let out a deep sigh glad to be home and getting back to her life and her man. Digging through her purse she pulled out her cell phone and turned it back on as the cabbie pulled on to the Van Wyck Expressway.

Looking at the passing cars as she checked her messages she had three from John and smiled at his soft smoky voice filling her ears. She ran her hand over her neck and down her collar bone as he whispered the four words that she loved coming out of his mouth, “I love you Evangeline…” he said it slowly seductively it felt like he was sitting next to her pulling at her hair clip and running his tongue down the side of her neck.

Letting out a slow sigh she smiled as thoughts of his arms around her body soothing her feeling safe in his embrace flooded her mind. A week in Chicago for class wasn’t the way she wanted to spend part of her summer break. She had three weeks before summer classes started and taking a week in Chicago to attend a medical conference wasn’t her idea of a vacation.

The Cabbie sped through the city she had hoped that coming back late morning would keep the traffic light, especially going into Tribeca. As the he turned onto the Long Island Expressway her phone started to buzz, “Hey you…” she said in a soft whisper not even looking at the caller id.

“Wow that’s some greeting, I suspect that wasn’t meant for me.” Todd said laughing softly.
“Todd!” Evangeline replied excited a wide smile spread across her face reaching her eyes, “I’ve missed you Manning.”

“Well if you would call a dude back then we wouldn’t have this problem.”
“What are you talking about! I called you back.” Evangeline said confused.
“The hell you did Van! I’ve been calling you for like a week now.”
“I was in Chicago, this past week Todd and you would know this if you checked your voice mail messages.”
“I check my voice mail messages how do you think I knew to call you back, huh huh!” he said joking with her. Todd pushed up on his elbows and sat back on the stack of pillows as he ran his hands through his bed head.

“What are you up to?” she said changing the subject.
“Just woke up, why where are you?”
“In a cab on the way to John’s. Why are you just now getting up Todd it’s nearly eleven.”
“Long night and that’s all I’m going to say! I don’t wanna hear your mouth.”
“My mouth, ouch! That one hurt Manning. You know I’m just looking for my boy. You know I care a lot about you Manning, don’t want you doing anything to get yourself arrested.”

Todd scoffed and shook his head as he stood from the bed and pulled on his sweat pants, “I’m a good boy Van and you know it. Plus I would never put myself in a position to get arrested, I’m pretty good at covering my tracks ya know.”
“This I know…” She said staring out the window of the cab. “So why are you finally calling me back after a week and a half?”
“Good news.”
“What’s that!” She asked getting excited.
“Well guess who’s the new editor and chief of the Columbia News.” Todd said grinning.

“You’re kidding!”
“I kid you not.” Todd said very proud of his accomplishments. “Paulie the current editor said that he and the advisor discussed it last week and that they agreed I would be perfect for it.”
“You would, I know how much work you put in Todd. Plus you were the only incoming freshmen to have been published in every national newspaper in the country.”
Todd pulled at his pants and puffed out his chest, “I was wasn’t I.”
“Damn I should know better than to stroke your ego! You’re head is big enough I swear it doesn’t fit through my room door on Campus.” She said joking.
“OH come on now Van.”
“What Todd?” She looked around as they turned on to Canal Street, “Hey can you slow the hell down man! Jeez.” She said rolling her eyes.

“What are you doing in a cab Van? Why didn’t you have John send you a car?”
“I hate that. I hate all that rich stuff you know that. So I took a cab, plus I can’t do the subway.”
“Why is that?”
“The underground thing just throws me off. I hate traveling around and not being able to see the sky.”
“You should have let John send a car service for you. McBain Industries doesn’t have them for any reason Van.”
“I know, I know… But I just feel so uncomfortable.”
“Even after three years with him.”
“Yeah even after three years. I love him for him and not his money you know this right?”
“Oh Van I know this, but because you are in a relationship with one of the richest men on the East coast it would only be appropriate to take advantage of what he offers.”
“I don’t want it Todd. I want John if he was as poor as dirt I would still want him.”

Todd smiled as he sipped his coffee, “I wish I had someone like you in my life.”
“You do, and what is Celia chop liver?”
“No, she’s good but it’s always off and on with us. If we really loved each other the way you and John do, it wouldn’t be that way.”
“Good point, listen the cabbie just pulled up to John’s I’m gonna go see my man.”
“Tell him I said hi, you both are still coming to my twenty second right?”
“Oh you know it. And now we can celebrate this. I can’t wait Todd.”
“Me either Van, go get your man. We’ll talk later okay?”

She smiled and stepped out of the cab as the driver came around and pulled her bag out of the trunk. She paid the driver and smiled as she walked up to John’s loft.

“I love you Manning.”
“Love you too Williamson.”

Evangeline snapped her phone shut and slid it back into her purse as she got her set of keys to John’s loft out. The building was an old warehouse that sat in Tribeca not far from the Pier. She smiled at all he had accomplished. After Thomas let John have the third floor of the warehouse he converted it into an amazing apartment taking up the whole floor of the building.

She stopped at the single mail box that was bulging with mail and rolled her eyes, “What the hell McBain.” She said rolling her eyes. Pulling it all out and slipping it under her arm she moved across the lobby of the warehouse. She stopped at the freight elevator and yanked up the door and pushed her bag into the elevator. Closing the door she hit the button and waited as the elevator jerked and moved up to his floor.

Looking down at her watch she realized that they were going to be late for brunch with Eve and Thomas, “Damn it…” she mumbled as the elevator came to a jerk and stopped on the floor. She flung the door open to the open apartment, the smell of her man flooded her nose, a combination of paint, some kind of burnt food and his cologne filled her nostrils she was home….

“McBain!” she called walking through the house and flipping through the mail, “You’re lucky I pay your bills John!” she yelled walking slowly through the apartment.

Looking up to look for him she stared at how messy his place was, “I’m gone for a week and you turn the place into a pig sty. Ahhh what am I going to do with you?”

Stepping over a drop cloth she dropped the mail on the end table next to the couch, “John!” she called again walking through the rest of the apartment to the back of the apartment.

She walked down the hallway to the bed rooms peaking in the side bedrooms. To her right was his office or really hers to her left was a bathroom and then after that was a spare bedroom. Across from that bedroom was another spare bedroom, mainly where he kept all his art supplies.

Their bed room sat in the back of the long hallway and she pushed open the door and stared at their tussled sheets. “Oh poor baby can’t sleep with out me.” She said grinning and walking towards the bathroom.

“McBain?” she said softly pushing open the door to the bathroom. The shower was running and the steam filled the bathroom. She saw his silhouette in the frosted shower door and ran her hand along her neck. Evangeline climbed up on the sink and crossed her legs waiting for him to get out of the shower.

She kicked her foot back and forth and looked over at the magazine rack and pulled out a Men’s Health out of the rack. The water shut off and she kept her head down reading the magazine and reached for a towel to hand to him.

He pushed open the shower door and ran his hand over his wet face and reached for a towel. Meeting her hand in his he smiled as he took the towel from her and wrapped it around his waist. John said nothing as he crossed to floor to the sink and started brushing his teeth. He admired her form from the corner of his eye, the soft lavender sun dress she had on tied in the back and the bow rested on her neck. The front dipped low separating her breasts and the bodice was tight pushing them higher. The bottom of the dress flared out around her thighs and was pushed up as she kicked her legs back and forth. Her shoes were a wooden wedge sandal with a lavender flower in between her toes.

Spitting out the toothpaste and then gargling and spitting it out. “How long have you been in town?” he asked eyeing her as he pulled the shaving cream out from the mirror.
“I came straight here.”
“Did you now?” he asked rinsing his hands and reaching for his razor that sat on the other side of her.
“I did, took a cab in. You don’t believe me?” Evangeline said with her head still down and in the magazine.

John smiled at her and then shook his head as she continued to flip through the magazine, “Of course I believe you…” he said taking the razor down the side of his face.
Evangeline set the magazine down and scooted closer to him, “You know we’re going to be late right?” she questioned and continued to kick her foot up and down.
“My dad is never on time why should we be?”
“Because it’s polite, that’s why John.” She said running her hand down his arms still covered in water droplets.

“I missed you.” He said throwing water on his face to rinse off the rest of the shaving cream.
“Really?”
“Really…” he said moving in front of her. John ran his hands up the sides of her dress and pushed her legs apart. Evangeline smiled and threw her arms around his neck and kissed his lips softly.

“You call that a hello kiss!” John said as she pulled back.
“What…” she started to say but John captured her lips in a searing kiss pushing her lips apart as he sunk his tongue deep into her mouth. He slid his hands up under her dress and around her waist and gripped her butt pulling her closer to him. Evangeline sighed through the kiss her skin ignited into flames as his hands gently massaged her butt and pulled her even closer against him.

She ran her hands through his wet slick hair and moved slowly against his body as he broke the kiss and panted against her lips. “The things you do to me.” He said pulling at the ties of her panties. “These are my favorite.” He whispered brushing his cleanly shaved face against hers.
“John stop…” she said putting her hand over his.

John nuzzled her neck letting the tip of his tongue run slowly up and down it, this was just like the fantasy she had in the cab. Letting out a deep moan John smiled as he nibbled on her ear lobe and untied the strings to her panties and pushed them aside. He slid one hand over the soft material and gently started rubbing her center the soft fabric creating mind numbing friction.

“You want me to stop?”
“We have… to uh..” she said mumbled and then swallowed hard as he slid a finger under the fabric of her panties.
“What does this remind you of?”
“Uh, oh god…” she moaned and held him close digging her nails into his back. John ran his other hand up her body and around her neck, “You know I like it down…” he mumbled and pulled at her hair clip.
“I… Know…” she cried under his assault.

Tussling her hair with his hands he pulled at the bow of her dress letting the top fall down freeing her breasts. Massaging her right breast with one hand and sliding his other hand against her he melted in her arms. “Your parents… they are… ummm… they are… oh baby….” She moaned, licking her lips and wrapped her legs around his waist pushing away the towel that sat loosely on his hips.

His bulging member pressed against her inner thigh and she nibbled on his ear as he continued bringing her to a slow and pleasurable climax. “My parent’s what?”
“Make… oh god make…”
“What?” he moaned against her ear as he slid her panties down and off her legs, “Make what?” he questioned again moving from her and kneeling pushing her back against the mirror of the sink.

John pushed up the hem of her dress and threw her legs over his shoulders as he sunk his lips around her clitoris gently sucking at it. She raked her fingers through his hair and squirmed against the sink as his tongue moved in and out of her center setting her body a blaze.

He felt her legs start to close around his head and the way her whimpers increased he knew she was coming close to climaxing without him. John stood up and pulled her close and thrust into her pressing his hands against the mirror. Evangeline let out a loud cry as fit himself into her. Their bodies had grown desperate to feel each other as his thrusts were sporadic and demanding. She clawed at his back as he bounced her against the marble top of the sink.

John held her close with one hand and braced himself with the other as he pulled her from the sink and pushed her hard against the wall. Her hands flew up against the wall as he moved her up and down slowing down his pace finally gaining the control he had lost from being inside of her again, “We… should… stop…” she panted.
“I can’t.” he grunted.
“Brunch…”
“I need you…” he said pounding his need, his desire and his love into her. “I need you….”

Evangeline panted and gave into his demands as he pushed himself into her over and over again, “John….”
“Tell me.” He grunted. “Tell me.”
“Oh god Johnny… I love you.” She cried as her walls started to vibrate around his member.
“I… I… you… love, oh god.” He said as his seed rushed into her body. She cried out loudly as her orgasm ripped through her body and released the pent up sexual desire she had for her man, the only one that could quench it was the one running his hands up and down the sides of her body.

Her head fell back against the wall and Evangeline lowered her legs from around his waist as he released her from the wall. She ran his hands over her body and kissed her neck and down the valley of her breasts. She smiled at her man the love of her life as he drew his tongue back up and behind her ear, “Wow…” he said chuckling and regaining the feeling in his legs.

Evangeline let out a soft laugh as she held him close and tugged at his hair, “We need to get going.”
“No… I want to stay in and make love to you all day.”
“You’re dad and mom are expected us.” She said laughing and pushing him away.
John looked at her with raised eyebrows the top of her dress still hanging around her mid section, “You get more and more beautiful everyday.” He said admiring her beauty. Evangeline smiled and ran her hands through her hair, “Get dressed McBain.” She said hitting him on the arm.

Evangeline pulled up her top and redid the bow and walked out of the bathroom to get her bag, “I’m going to redo my hair and makeup while you get dressed.”
John picked up his towel and tied it back around his waist and headed to the bedroom. He fished through his closet to find something to wear as Evangeline went back to her bag and grabbed her makeup bag. “I can’t believe I let you…” she said shaking her head back and forth passing him.

John reached out and grabbed her hand pulling her to him, “You know you wanted it as much as I did. I know you missed me.” He said grazing his fingers up and down her neck. He slipped his hand around her neck pulling her close, “Tell me you didn’t miss me.” He questioned peering into her eyes, looking her up and down as he gently scraped the base of her neck.

Evangeline smiled and placed her hands on his chest and leaned her forehead against his, “I honestly don’t know how I made it without you for a week.” She said softly. “And you know I can deny you nothing.”
“Nothing?”
“Nothing, you are my everything.” She said kissing his lips and moving from his embrace. “Everything…” she said looking at him over her shoulder as she disappeared back into the bathroom.

Twenty minutes later they stood outside of the warehouse Evangeline on the phone trying to get a hold of Thomas or Eve as John waved down a cab. “They aren’t home.” She called to him as he looked over at her and smiled. “They’re probably already there.”

Evangeline folded her arms across her chest and tapped her foot on the ground, “What!” he said rolling his eyes. “I knew we were going to be late.” John let the cab stop in front of him and he held the door open for her and she walked over and got in. John gave the directions to the club house as Evangeline sat back with her arms across her chest.

John looked over at her and slid his arm around her shoulders and nuzzled her neck, “Don’t tell me you’re mad at me for making us late. I mean we were catching up on a whole hell of a lot of missed time. You’re lucky I even left the apartment.” He whispered and then kissed her cheek. Evangeline smirked in spite of herself and kissed him back. “You do have a point McBain.”
“Good now just sit back and relax we’ll have brunch with my folks then come back home and finish what we started in the bathroom.”

Evangeline shot him a seductive glance and moved closer to him resting her hand on the inside of his thigh.

~

Thomas looked down at his watch and then over at Eve, “Where do you think they are?”
“Well I wouldn’t know Thomas.” Eve said with a polite smile, “Maybe her flight was late.”
“Flight where did she go?”
“You know, that medical conference in Chicago!” She laughed shaking her head, “In your old age you’re loosing a few memory cells.”
“I take offense!” he snapped back with a curl of the lips.

“Oh you shouldn’t and you know that it was meant as a joke.”
Thomas reached across the table and kissed her hand softly, “I know….You think they’ll show up?”
“I certainly hope so, I miss my boy.” Eve said with a soft smile.

Thomas sat back against the booth and sipped his coffee, “You know how I hate when people are late.”
“That’s a very hypocritical statement Thomas McBain.” Eve said glaring at him, “If I recall we were late ourselves.”
“Not as late as they are.” Thomas huffed, “Don’t they know we have things to do.”
“Like what, It’s Sunday Thomas!” Eve said slightly annoyed.
“Hell I don’t know but I know I’ve got something to do. Plus Collin is supposed to call later so we can discuss the take overs in Australia.”
“Not on a Sunday you promised Thomas.”
“It’s Monday there…” he said with a shoulder shrug, “Now where are those kids.”

“Sorry dad!” John said rushing over to the table. “Evangeline’s plane got in late.” He said smiling and kissing his mom on the cheek before sitting next to her. Evangeline smiled at Eve and slid in to the seat next to Thomas, “It’s good to see you two.” Thomas said kissing Evangeline on the cheek.

“You too Thomas. I apologize I took a cab from JFK.”
“A cab, dear what are you doing! We have plenty of cars that could have picked you up.”
“Mom, you know that Evangeline doesn’t like to take advantage.”

Eve shook her head and reached over to the table, “You are a part of this family now dear.”
“I know, it’s still just weird.” She said softly.
“Dear if you are going to be a McBain someday and I take it that is still on.”
“Hell yeah!” John said quickly and shooting Evangeline a wink.
“Well if you are going to be a part of this family then you’ll have to take advantage as you say of the amenities being married to a McBain has to offer. Truth be told it’s much easier on you as well.”

Evangeline nodded her head and pulled her hands from Eve’s soft hold. “I’ll try but I’m not going to make any promises. I happen to like the cabs it gives me a different perspective you know?”
“Actually I don’t…” Thomas said laughing, “Can’t remember the last time I was in one.”
“Can we get off this subject and order I’m starving.” John said changing the subject.
Eve and Thomas smiled and then Thomas waved over their waiter. They all placed their orders and Evangeline told them of her medical conference she was able to attend on a travel grant.

John sat back basking in the amazing woman that literally took his breath away every time she was near. She spoke so eloquently as she went over the highlights of the conference. He was mesmerized by her words he could hear the passion in her voice as she spoke about the procedures they were doing at children’s hospitals all over the country, the world, to fix birth defects and how now those children are living happy lives.

John reached across the table and linked his hand with hers and kissed the inside of her wrist as there was a lull in the conversation. “I admire your passion.” Thomas said eating his waffles.
Evangeline looked over at him and smiled, “Can I ask you a favor?”
“Anything for you my dear.”
“One of the organizations that were present at the conference I really fell for. I mean I have the information and everything in my suitcase back at John’s, but they do some amazing things sir and I would love to get more involved in it.”
“Well what’s your favor?”
“It’s one of a monetary nature. I know that McBain Industries has a charitable side to it and I was hoping that this organization, First Start Surgical Gifts.”

“I don’t think I’ve heard of them…” Thomas said interrupting her.

Evangeline smiled and turned all the way toward Thomas, “I didn’t want to propose this here at brunch but it’s an organization that provides reconstructive surgery primarily to children who suffer from physical deformities caused by birth defects accidents, abuse or diseases. You should have seen the work they do sir!” she said getting excited.

“This is something you feel passionate about is it not?” he asked with a sparkle in his eyes.
“Sir it is very.”
“Well bring me everything that you have on the organization and I’ll get it to the head of the Charitable Donations office at MI okay?”
Evangeline leaned over and hugged Thomas tightly, “Thank you so much.” She whispered.
“You’re very welcome.” He said rubbing her back. He looked over at John and winked as Eve leaned in and side hugged John.
“Thomas you are such a softy.” Eve said laughing.
“I so am not!” Thomas said with a frown as he pulled away from Evangeline.

Both Eve and Evangeline laughed softly and then Eve pushed John out of the way, “Excuse me son I need to powder my nose.”
John stood and watched his mom head toward the bathroom. Thomas looked down into his pocket as his phone started to vibrate, “I need to take this it’s your uncle.” Thomas said rising as Evangeline moved out of the way.

John watched as both is parents vacated the table and he moved slowly around to sit next to her. Placing his arm around her shoulder he played with the ends of her hair and kissed the side of her neck, “We’re in public.” Evangeline said elbowing John in the side.
“You’re point?” he whispered against her ear.

“Behave yourself John McBain.”
John let out a soft sigh, his hot breath breathing against her ear and kissed the back of her ear, “You know when you say my name like that.”
“What?”
“It turns me on.”
Evangeline giggled and rolled her eyes, “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

John shook his head and slid his free hand over her thigh pushing up the hem of her dress, “I don’t kid not when it comes to you.”
“So me saying John McBain… turns you on?” she asked tilting her head to the side as John continued to kiss up and down her neck, “Yes very much so….” He said squeezing her thigh.

“What else do I say that turns you on?”
“Just speaking makes me fall more in love with you. Then when I fall in love with you I want to make love to you.”
“Mmmm…” she moaned as he pushed her legs apart.
“So tell me about this trip, did you and your friends go out to clubs?”
“Yes.” She panted slowly.
“Did you meet any cute boys?” He asked inching closer to her panty line as his tongue played softly behind her ear making small circles under her ear lobe. “Did you dance with these cute boys?”

“John…” She groaned “You need to stop.” She said gripping his hand up under her dress.
“Tell me and I’ll stop.”
“Yes cute boys, no I didn’t dance with them.” She said pushing his hand away. John continued to kiss behind her ear and slid his hand back up her dress. “John you said you would stop.” She said pushing his hand away.

He slid his hand back up her dress and said, “You shouldn’t wear dresses like this after you’ve been gone for a week, it’s just too damn tempting.” He groaned and pushed her hand away.
“What on earth can I get you to stop? I mean we’re in public at your dad’s club for goodness sake.”
“My dad practically owns this place, if we wanted too I could have this place cleared so that I could take you up against that wall.”
Evangeline laughed and turned her head to his, “Damn I’ve spoiled you rotten haven’t I!” she said staring at him.

“Maybe? Is that such a bad thing?”
Evangeline stroked his chin with her thumb and forefinger, “Nope not at all. I guess I’ve got to learn when to give in and when to put my foot down or we’ll end up with spoiled rotten children as well.”
“Don’t start talking about kids or I’ll want to practice making them.” He said grinning at her.

Evangeline shook her head and ran her fingers through his hair, “You look tired.”
“Nope, just happy to have you home that’s all.”
“I got a call from Todd today.”
“What’s up with him?” John asked as he ran his hands through her hair and over her shoulder.

Evangeline smiled they all had gotten really close over the past three years even more so then she thought possible. Todd was their rock, their savior and they both owed him everything that they would ever have together. “What’s up with Todd huh?”
“Yeap… How is Manning?”
“He’s good he got Editor at the newspaper.”
“Wow! Seriously, that’s impressive. I’m excited for him.”
“So am I. Don’t forget about his birthday party in a few weeks too. We have to get him something good ya know.”

John’s eyes were closed as she continued to rake her fingers through his hair, her face close against his, “Yeah whatever… can we go now?”
“Where?”
“Home.” He said softly.
“Home sounds good. So very good” she sighed
“We don’t even have to make love I just need to hold you, feel you in my arms.” He said pulling her to his chest. Evangeline raised her arms wrapping them around her neck and kissed the inside of his neck, “You can hold me as long as you want.”

Rising from the table John pulled Evangeline from the table and slipped his arm around her waist pulling her close. Eve came walking back to see them rising from the table, “Going some place?”
“Home. Tell dad that Evangeline will get a hold of him about the charity.”
“You two have barely been here.” Eve said smiling softly at them.

John moved closer to his mom and placed his hands in hers, “We’ll come by for dinner right now I need some time alone with my girl.” He said smiling at her.
Eve looked over John’s shoulder into Evangeline’s eyes who were sparkling with the love she had for her son. She missed that look when she looked at Thomas, “Okay… you two be good.” She said kissing John’s cheek.

She moved past John to Evangeline and wrapped her in a warm motherly hug. “Promise me we’ll go shopping soon.” Eve whispered.
Evangeline smiled and nodded her head against Eve’s shoulder, “Of course. Please tell Thomas we’re sorry to eat and run.”
Eve smiled and waved her off, “He’s used to it! Don’t worry. Have a good Sunday you two.” Evangeline and John nodded as she reached for his hand and he led her away. Eve walked back over to the table and finished her tea as Thomas finished up his phone call.

They walked out into the June sun fingers interlaced and John hailed a cab. “You okay?” he asked running his hands along her hp playing with the soft fabric of her dress.
Evangeline looked over at him shielding her eyes from the sun, “It was so sad to see those little kids John.”
He smiled and ran a hand over her face, “I know but you will do wonders if not with that organization with some other.” He said kissing her forehead.
“I just hope that I can make one child’s life easier by correcting their defect.”
“You’re amazing and you will do amazing things. I’m so proud to not only know you but be with you.” He said rocking her back and forth.

Evangeline stroked his back turning her head to the side and brushing her face up and down his chest. “I feel so safe here.”
“On the street.”
She let out a soft laugh, “No not in the street silly. In your arms, I’ve always felt safe in your arms.” She said looking up at him.
John smiled down at her, “I would give my life to protect you.” He said pushing her hair from her face, “My life you know that right?”
“I know, you’ve told me so many times and I believe you each and every time.”
“Good it’s the truth… You and I both know I wouldn’t survive if I lost you or if something happened to you.”
“I’m never leaving your side.”
“Promise.”
“Promise…” she said rising up to kiss him softly. In his heart he knew that to be the only absolute truth, she would never leave him never….
House of Chow by OLTLfantimes10
Evangeline rolled over and pushed the covers away. She rose from the bed keeping her eyes closed and walked slowly to the bathroom to relieve herself. She washed her hands and quickly dried them before slipping back into the bed, doing all of this with her eyes closed. She didn’t want to wake up but her damn bladder was screaming for her to get out of the bed.

Reaching for John to snuggle against him she felt space. Opening her eyes they adjusted to the darkness in the room and she quickly scanned their bedroom for John. Pushing up on her elbows she ran her hands through her hair and wrinkled her nose, where had he gone too.

Pushing the covers away she swung her feet over the edge of the bed and reached for one of his work shirts, he said he just wanted to hold her when they left brunch with his parents, she should have known better. As she slipped his shirt over her head she inhaled the soft scent of her love and the feelings of him making love to her flooded her mind. Her body ached from the demands and ways he took her throughout the afternoon into the early evening. She looked at the clock it was nearly eight, that meant she had been a sleep for three hours.

Shaking the sleep from her head she shuffled down the hallway hearing the soft sounds of Henderix playing through the speakers of his studio. His art studio was on the other side of the apartment away from their bedroom and she crossed the small living room to get too it. Pushing back the curtain that divided the room she saw him stretching as he stared out the window that overlooked the pier.

His muscular back, well defined shoulders and arms send shivers down her spine. John stood in nothing but a pair of paint covered sweat pants his hair slicked back out of his face and drops of paint covered his arms and his feet. Evangeline smiled and moved across the room to him wrapping her arms around his chest sliding her hands up and down his chest she kissed his back.

John smiled and leaned into her embrace dropping the paint brush on the easel he placed his hands over hers holding them tightly. John ran his right hand over the diamond that still sat on her hand and brought it to his lips to kiss. Evangeline turned her head into his back breathing in the being of him, breathing his soul into hers. He was soft yet strong, tender yet rough but in his deep heart of hearts he was hers and no other would dare come between them.

She kissed his back over and over again as John stood loving the feel of her body pressed against his. He couldn’t see her but knew that she looked beautiful. “How long have you been up?” Evangeline asked rocking back and forth as she traced the muscles of his back with her finger tips.

John laughed softly as her nails tickled and grazed the soft flesh around his waist, “An hour or so. I’ve been so blocked lately.”
“Why?” she asked coming around him and pulling up a stool to sit next to the canvas.

John smiled at her and ran his hands gently through her hair playing with the ends of it before doing it again. “God….” He said shaking his head, staring at her.
Evangeline narrowed her eyes at him and touched his hand that rested on her cheek, “What? What’s wrong babe…” she said eyeing him up and down.

John leaned in and kissed her lips softly and rubbed his nose against his, “You truly are my muse.” He said grinning and then kissing her again.
“You say that to all the girls!” she said giggling and kissing him again.
“No, there’s no one else.” He said softly, “There will never be anyone else.”

Evangeline placed her hand behind his neck and played with the soft brown locks of his hair, “I know.”
“Good, so I was up because I had to go to the bathroom but as I was coming back to make love to you.”
“Again!” she said laughing.
“Yes again… anyway.” He said kissing her quickly and walking across the room to pick up a new paint brush, “As I was walking around the bed the clouds in the window parted and the moonlight hit you and I froze in my tracks at the sight. I swear I couldn’t breathe for like a minute.” John said walking back to the canvas.

Evangeline watched him and her eyes started to tear up. John shot her a quick wink, “It was breathtaking, you were breathtaking. The way the moonlight played in your hair, the covers sitting around her hips your hair covered across your face, I was inspired.”

Evangeline leaned forward to look at the canvas, “John there isn’t anything on that canvas.” She said shaking her head and looking up at him.
“This I know hun, but I’m having trouble trying to recreate your hair color. I can see it in my mind but every time I try to create the soft black color it comes out as a nasty grey or too deep of a black.”

She nodded her head and rose from the stool, “Well you keep working I’m starved someone I know depleted my energy resources.” She kissed him quickly on the cheek and walked out of his art studio back to the kitchen.

Opening up the fridge she saw nothing but take out cartons. Chinese, Tai, Pizza, and even some Greek food filled his fridge and all of it look inedible. “McBain!” she yelled loudly.
“Yay!”
“What the hell man!” she said closing the fridge and laughing.

John came out of the studio mixing paint in a small container and narrowed his eyes at her, “What?”
“You have no food that is edible.”
“I do too.” He set the cup with paint on the counter and walked over to her. Evangeline opened up the fridge and John stared at her and into the fridge, “What are you talking about. That Tai is from yesterday and the Greek is from the day before.” He said with a soft smile.

John stared at her as Evangeline stared back at him, “Order what ever you want.” He said kissing her forehead, “We’ll go to the grocery tomorrow.” John grabbed the cup and walked away.

“Anything I want?”
“Anything you want besides Tai!” he called as he disappeared down the hall.

Evangeline reached for the phone and pulled out the drawer where John kept all of his take out menus. She quickly went through them and settled on the Chinese Restaurant that was down the street from them. Dialing the number she waited for them to answer, “House of Chow!” he said quickly.

“Can I place and order for delivery?”
“Yeah Name…”
“McBain.”
“Ahh, Mrs. McBain, you back! Great great…. What can I get you?”
Evangeline smiled at the older Chinese man that ran the restaurant and always called her Mrs. McBain no matter how many times she tried to correct him, “Can I get a number fifteen, a number seven, a number twenty-five… and hold on a min.”
“Babe!” she yelled to John.
“Yeah!”
“I got the usual at House of Chow is there anything else you wanted?”
“Surprise me!” John yelled.

Evangeline moved the phone back to her mouth and smiled, “And two number seventy fours.”
“That it?”
“Yeap that’s it.”
“Good, good… I’ll have Ping bring it right over. It’s good to have you back Mrs. McBain, Mr. McBain was a mess with out you.”
“Really?” she said walking around the counter and staring down the hall to where John was. “How so?”
“Oh you know when I had Ping bring him food earlier he kept Ping for like an hour talking or something. Ping wouldn’t say what they were doing, just that Mr. McBain wouldn’t let him leave.”

Evangeline let out a deep laugh and shook her head back and forth, “No he didn’t.”
“Oh he did Mrs. McBain where you go?”
“A conference in Chicago.”
“Well you back now and that good! I send Ping right over. It’s on the house today!”
“Oh Mr. Chow you don’t have to do that.”
“Oh yes because you back I have too. Sending Ping…”
“Okay bye.”
“Bye Mrs. McBain.

Evangeline hung up the phone and walked back over to John laughing. “Babe…”
“Yeah?”
“What did you do to Ping?”
“Who?”
“Ping the deliver guy at the House of Chow.”
John lowered his eyes to the ground and continued to mix the paint, “John….”

“Evangeline…” He mumbled walking back to the canvas.
“What did you do to Ping.”
“I didn’t do anything to him.”
“That’s not what Mr. Chow said. He said that you kept Ping here for like an hour one day.”
John looked over his shoulder at her and stuck out his bottom lip and batted his blue eyes at her, “You were gone for a week.”
“John!” she said laughing. “I can’t believe you did that, Ping had work to do.”

“I know, I know you don’t have to tell me that. It’s just that I missed you and I missed having someone to talk to and when he brought the food by I was in the middle of painting and he wanted to know what I was painting so I told him and it turned into this big long conversation.” He said shaking his head at her.

Evangeline leaned against the wall her arms folded over her chest the hem of the shirt raising up over her thighs and she smiled. John walked over to her and pressed his hands against the wall over her, “Now that you’re back I have someone to talk to…” he said softly.

Evangeline rose up on her tip toes and kissed his lips, “You talk?”
“Me talk, yes I talk you know that.”
Evangeline smiled and moved from up under him, “I’m going to go read. I’ll call you when the food is here.”
John smacked her on the butt as she passed him, “Put some pants on before Ping gets here. I don’t want him getting any ideas about you. You’re mine!” he said with a wink.
“Will do Sir!” she said saluting him.

~

Eve walked out of the bathroom rubbing hand cream on her hands and climbed into bed next to Thomas. “Those two are so cute…” she said reaching for her reading glasses and then her book from her book club.

Thomas looked up from his laptop and removed his glasses, “She’s done a lot for this family.”
“Oh she has brought our Johnny back to us.” Eve said grinning brightly at Thomas, “I just love her so.”

Thomas smiled and set his computer aside, “I can tell. Do you think they’ll ever become official?”
“If Johnny has anything to do about it yeah. I can’t wait to start planning the wedding. I wonder if she wants something big or small.”
“What you’re not going to plan the whole thing!” Thomas said surprised.

Eve laughed softly and hit Thomas on the hand, “No, no… it’s her day and I’m just there to enjoy her becoming an official part of our family.”
“John looks so happy with her on his arm. When they came up to the table they were both I don’t know…”
“The words glowing Thomas.” Eve said reading the book slowly.

“Glowing?”
“Yeah you know what that is when two people are so much in love that when they see each other they just get this glow about them.” Eve said eyeing Thomas out the corner of her eye.

Thomas nodded his head slowly and reached for his computer, “How’s the book?”
“It’s good, what did Collin have to say?”

Thomas sat typing at his computer aware that Eve had said anything else, “Thomas what did Collin have to say?”
He looked over at her and smiled, “I’m sorry dear, caught up in this email. He said that everything is going as scheduled. He should be back in New York by the end of next week. I have to go into the office early tomorrow, what are you doing?”
“Nothing much, I want to look at remodeling the north side of the house. I’m really sick of those drapes in there.”
“Sure whatever dear.”
“Are you listening to me?”

Thomas nodded his head not responding and Eve turned back to her book. Things in their marriage had gotten a little better after John’s graduation and their time in the Hamptons but it still wasn’t the same. She could still feel the disgust he had for her after causing Michaels’ death and took everything in her power not to drink or turn to the pain medication she used earlier.

Thomas’ head was so into his work he never knew the depths that Eve went through to just cope with the undeniable guilt she had for causing her sons death while at the same time couldn’t stand Thomas for what he did to their family, sending John away being the cause of her drinking all of it.

The pain and guilt over loosing her son weighed heavily on Eve each day was a struggle to stay clean and sober and now with Johnny back because of Evangeline she wanted nothing more than to stay that way. Looking over at Thomas his grey hair and piercing blue eyes sparkled against the light of the computer screen, he wasn’t the man she fell in love with, the man she feel in love with would never cheat on her let alone in her own bed. She prayed that John would turn out to be nothing like his old man, with Evangeline at his side she was sure that would never happen.

~

John rested his head against Evangeline’s stomach running his fingers across her soft toned flesh. She played in is hair with one hand and held her book with the other, “What are you reading?” he questioned and then gently kissed her stomach.

“Harry Potter.”
“You’re kidding me right?” he asked chuckling softly.
“I so am not… Now shhhh… I’m trying to read.” Evangeline said pushing at his head.

“Ouch!”
“Oh that didn’t hurt and you know it.” Evangeline said pushing at his head again.
“Could you seriously stop beating up on me. I’m starting to get a complex about that.”
“Sorry.” Evangeline lowered her head and kissed John gently and then went back to her book.

“Why are you reading Harry Potter.”
“The girls in my group…”
“Which one, the Sickle Cell?”
“Yeah before and after group they are always talking about these books. I know that they’ve all been written but these girls are still so obsessed with Harry and all the movies. I thought since I’m supposed to be monitoring the girls and helping them learn to deal with their disease I might as well pick up their interests as well.” She said looking down at him.

John turned his head up to look up at her and smiled, “Those girls are lucky to have you in their lives.”
“Actually it’s the other way around.” She said caressing his face, drawing her fingers up and down his cheek. John drew small circles around her stomach and kissed it softly. Evangeline giggled and continued to play in his hair, “I love those girls, but some days it’s just so hard to watch what they have to go through on a daily bases.”

“You do good with them.”
“You know they loved it when you came by that one week.”
“I had a lot of fun, it was nice to see what you do everyday at the clinic. They do good work there, you do good work there.” He said.
“They really do, do excellent work there. But what you did John you didn’t have to come and show them how to paint.”

John sat up from her lap and turned to face her as Evangeline sat her book down and folded her legs on the couch. He touched her face running his fingers over her lips, “Did I tell you I was thinking of going back to school?”
“NO you didn’t’! That’s great John, buy why you don’t have to.”
“Well I don’t want to be at one of those big doctor benefit things where you’re getting some fancy award and people ask me what I do and all I can say is that I’m some lowly artist.” He said rising from the couch to get more to eat.

Evangeline watched him go and blew out a slow breath she threw her arms over the back of the couch as John got more of the Chinese food, “Why are you downing yourself. I would kill to be as famous as you are. To be able to create pure magic with my hands the way that you do.” Evangeline said climbing over the back of the couch.

“You will, you’ll correct deformities making children feel better about themselves, giving hope to parents. All I do is put some paint on a canvas.”
Evangeline walked up to him stopping him from placing more food on his plate, “Those girls loved every moment of what you shared with them. I think it would be wonderful if you went back to school but don’t do it to prove something to those haughty doctors that we don’t even know yet. Do it because it’s something you feel passionate about.” She said touching his chest.

John looked away from her and Evangeline forced his face back to hers, “Do it because right here.” She said pointing to his heart, “Right here you feel this emptiness that can only be filled by going to school and learning something, and wanting to share it with others.”

John gripped her hand that rested over his heart and kissed her finger tips, “You always know just what to say.” He said gazing into her eyes, “I thought about teaching.”
“Really!” she said excited.
“Yeah, art of course. Maybe opening a studio for kids with terminal illnesses to come in and learn how to paint as a part of therapy, I don’t know… It was just an idea.” He said shaking his head.

John tried to move around her and Evangeline reached out and grabbed his wrist. He stopped and stood with his back to her. Evangeline pulled him back turning him around and wrapped her arms around his waist, “That is one of the most amazing ideas you’ve ever had John.”

“You think?” he asked running his hands up and down her hair and back, “You don’t think it’s stupid.”
“If I told my girls that you thought about opening a studio just for them so that their parents could bring them to paint they would squeal uncontrollably.” She said laughing.
John rocked her back and forth as he held on to her, “You really think so?”
“John look at me.” She said pulling back some and watched as his eyes lowered to hers.

“God gave you the gift to create amazing works of art, but he also made you so incredibly passionate and compassionate that you get children and they get you.”
“That’s because I’m a kid myself.” He said laughing.
“That may be it but it still doesn’t minimize all the work all the good you could do by opening a place like that. Those girls would ask at least once a week if you were going to come back and show them how to paint again. I don’ know if it was because they had fun or if it was because they thought you were hot.” She said laughing.

“Me hot? No…” he said shaking his head back and forth.
Evangeline touched his face and tucked his loose hair behind his ears, “Oh please you know you’re pretty good looking. Yeah they thought you were so dreamy!” she said laughing softly.
“Get to the point.”
“Sorry, my point is that those girls at the clinic really took to you and I think you had fun too John.”
“I did…” he nodded smiling at her as he played in her hair pushing it from her face as he looked upon her.
“I thought so, I could tell. I don’t think I’ve seen you smile so much. Those kids brought out an amazing side to you John one that I want to see more of. Granted I love this brooding John I get when you’re in a painting mode but I also love the playful John the one that laughs. I miss that one at times.”
“I laugh.”
“Yeah at me!” she said hitting his chest.

“It was just an idea, but if you think it’s a good one.”
“It’s an amazing idea John and I think you know that.”
“Well if I have you’re support I’ll look into taking some classes at the teacher’s college as well as some more art classes.”
“You will always have my support that’s what we do.”
John kissed her lips and picked her up carrying her through the kitchen, “Where are we going?” Evangeline asked as he walked them backwards to the bedroom.

“Oh I think you know exactly where we are going. I’m going to show you how much I appreciate you and everything you do for me.” He said grinning with wide eyes.
“Are ya now!”
“Oh I sure as hell am!” John laughed as he dropped her on the bed.

~ Next Morning…

“John!” Evangeline called as she ran through the apartment limping with only one boot on.
“It’s under the bed babe!” He said coming out of the kitchen and walking down the hallway.

Evangeline looked out of bedroom and winked at him, “That’s why I love you.” She said running back into the bedroom. “I can’t believe this, I’m going to be so late.” She said sliding up the zipper on her boot.

John stared at her watching her finish getting dressed. She was dressed a short chocolate brown skirt with calf high chocolate boots and a light green top. Her hair was partially pulled up out of her face in a loose ponytail the rest cascading down her back. John walked over and kissed her on the cheek, “You look good.”
“Thanks.” Evangeline replied as she slipped her earrings on her ear. “I am so late!”
“I’ll have a car sent they’ll be here in no time get you to work in a flash.”

“John no please…” she said pleading with him in the mirror. John flashed her a soft smile, “What did my mom say.”
“Okay okay… just as long as they are here in the next three minutes otherwise I’m taking the bus.”
“They are already down stairs.”
“Really?”
“Yeah, the driver’s name is Jason he knows exactly where to take you.”

Evangeline rushed over to John and kissed his face over and over again. “I love you.” She squealed and pinched his cheek, “God I love you!” Evangeline called as she dashed out of the apartment.

John watched her go laughing to himself. He didn’t even get time to say it back to her. Walking over to the window he threw it open and saw her rushing to the car. Jason stood next to the black Lincoln Town car with the door open for her, “Van!” John screamed.

She looked up at him and blew him a quick kiss, “I love you!” He yelled.
“I love you too man now shut the fuck up!” some passerby yelled.
“Ahh get a life man!” John yelled back at him and closed the window.

~

Evangeline rushed into the Community Health and Education center on the Columbia University campus. She pushed her hair out of her face, still flustered, and smiled at the nurse sitting at the check in desk.

She smiled and hit the buzzer allowing Evangeline in the back. She disappeared into the locker room and came back out with her white lab coat on. She fixed her hair and collar of her coat and stuck her head into her supervisor’s office, “Janet I’m so sorry!” she said slightly out of breath.

Janet looked up and smiled swiping her hair from her face, “It’s okay John called.”
Evangeline narrowed her eyes and sat across from her, “He did?”
“Yeah he said he was having a little stomach bug and you were taking care of him.”
“Yeah, my poor boy.” Evangeline said going along with the lie.
“Is he better?”
“I think so, it must have been some twenty four hour thing. He was complaining about it the day before while I was still in Chicago.”

“How did that go!” She said excited and walked around her desk sitting on the edge of it.
“Good, real good. I got a lot of really valuable information it was just hard to be away from everyone for so long. I missed you guys.”

Janet smiled and placed her pen down and picked up her coffee, “Well the girls really missed you. They are so excited that you’re back.”
Evangeline smiled and lowered her head, “I’m glad I’m back too. Let me get to it, I have to go and set up the room for them.” Evangeline rose and started to walk to the door as Janet walked around her desk and took a seat behind it.

“One more thing Van!”
“Yes ma’am.”
“I hate to do this too you but Marilyn is out sick today could you cover her groups?”
“I….ummm…”
“It’s not much really. They tend to run it themselves.”

Evangeline took a step back into the office, “What is it?”
“It’s a group of adolescent girls and young adults who have been sexually assaulted. It’s a support group for Rape survivors. Like I said they normally run themselves, we usually have staff incase of breakdown or if the girls get out of hand, but they are a great group of young women. It would something different for you to try.”

She shook her head skeptical about intervening, “I usually just work with the kids I’m not sure I can handle girls my age.” She said softly pointing to herself.
“Oh I know you can do it. You’re one of my best facilitators here, I really could use your help here Van.”
Evangeline nodded her head and smiled weakly at Janet. She turned to leave her office skeptical of her skills and weary she would say something wrong to these possible fragile women. Her hands began to sweat and she stuck them into coat pockets as she walked slowly down the hall to set up for her Sickle Cell group.

~

John strolled out into the small courtyard of Community Health center. His hands were in his jean pockets his black shirt cut high on his biceps and his hair pushed behind both ears. Nurses and the occasional female doctor eyed him as he forced small smiles and walked around to see his lady lost in thought.

Evangeline sat on the bench her head down her hair covering her face as she stared at the ground beneath her. Her morning started out difficult with nearly being late for work and became even more so when she found out one of the girls in her group had gone into the hospital. They were taking care of her at New York Prebyterian Hospital.

All the girls were so sad and they spent the majority of the time crying instead of talking about what they could do to make their lives a little easier. Now she sat in the sun of the mid afternoon crying herself. After her Sickle Cell group she had to facilitate the Rape Survivors group which completely drained her.

To sit there and listen to some of the girls stories and how they are handling it with and without family support made her appreciate John, Lisa, Layla, Eve and Thomas even more. Wiping at the corner of her eyes she felt him come up behind her and a small smile spread across her lips.

“They told me I would find you out here.” John said rocking back and forth on his heels.

Evangeline turned to look up at him shielding her eyes from the sun behind him. “What’s wrong!” he said in a panic rushing to sit beside her.
Evangeline shook her head as he touched her face and she held her hand over his as it rested against his cheek, “I’m fine…I’m fine… really I’m fine…”
“You’re not fine, what happened? Tell me what happened?” He responded anxiously.

Evangeline kissed his fingers and pulled his hand from her face. “I don’t want to talk about it, what are you doing here?”
“I was just taking a walk and decided to come and see you.”
“You did not walk here!”
“No I was out near the apartment walking around and decided to take the Subway down here to see you. Can you please tell me what’s wrong, you’re really starting to scare me.”

Evangeline smiled and continued to let tears run down her cheeks, John wiped them away with the pads of his thumbs and moved in closer to her, “What has you so upset. I haven’t seen you this bad off since you first started working here.”

“It’s so hard John, God puts these little girls on this plant graces us with their presence gives their parents hope that they will one day do good things and then they have this terrible genetic disease that sometimes the parents don’t even know they carry the trait for. Why, I just don’t understand why.” She said bursting into tears.

John overcome by her sudden outburst wrapped his arms around her as she buried her head into his chest. He whispered soothing words into her ear as he stroked and rubbed her hair and back. “We’ve talked about this, what happened?”
“One…of…the….girls is in the …..” she sobbed, “In…the hospital…. It’s so hard, so hard.” She cried harder as he continued to hold her tightly, “Then…then…I had…to….”

“You had to what?” he asked pulling her back and cupping her face. Evangeline looked into his eyes they were brimming with his own set of tears and she kissed his lips softly. “I had to facilitate the Rape Survivors group today for one of the other girls.”

“Oh babe! It was that bad?”
“It was and it wasn’t. It made me truly appreciate what we have knowing that you and your parents would always be there for me if god forbid.”
“No one is every going to hurt you, do you understand me?” He said pulling her close holding her tightly not for her sanity but his.

“I know, I know… It’s just sitting there listening to them speak so openly at least some of them of what they went through. They use it as a cleansing process but some of the girls I don’t know.” She said against his neck.
“They hadn’t gotten to that point yet?”
“No, they seemed like a shell of themselves, so hollow inside John. They looked so terrified. When I tried to touch them to have them get up because group was over they pulled away. One of the other girls had to help me.”

As Evangeline pulled back John sat speechless of what she had to go through today. First the girl in the hospital now this, “Do you want to take the rest of the day off? I’m sure they would understand.”
“No! no… they need me here, I need to be here.” She said smiling tenderly. “Thank you for the offer but I need to be here.” She said pushing away and standing up from the bench.

John stood up and ran his hands up and down her shoulders and arms, “Are you sure?
I mean we can just go home and you can read as I paint or it’s a nice day we could go to Central Park.”
“That sounds like fun, but I’m okay now.” She said wiping the rest of the tears from her eyes, “Really I’m okay. Thank you for being here, I didn’t know I needed you till you came.”

“Isn’t that how it always is.” He said with a small laugh and hugged her again. “You want me to cook tonight?”
“Would you!” Evangeline said jumping up and down, “You would do that for little ole me.”
“The moon and stars remember.” He said smiling and kissing her lips quickly, “The moon and the stars.” She touched his cheek and kissed him once more before slipping her arm into his. “Walk me back?”
“Sure…So I was thinking something I don’t know Mediterranean.”
“Really that sounds amazing, I like it McBain.” She said walking back into the clinic.

“Good, I’ll head to the store and pick up a few things then have Jason pick you up at the normal time.”
“Yeah and invite Todd would you please.”
“Can do. Let me get back to Tri and I’ll get started on cleaning and cooking.” He said kissing her forehead.
“What on earth has gotten into you!”
John looked around and wrapped his arm around her small waist pulling her close, “You… it’s all you, it’s always been you, it will always be you. You make me want to be a better man.”
Evangeline smiled, “McBain…”
Smiling back John slipped his hands from around her waist, “I will see you at home. Remember Jason is picking you up.”
“Got it!” She said hitting is chest, “Now go I’ve got to get to my next group session.”
“Be good baby.”
“I should say the same to you.” Evangeline said with a sexy wink. He mouthed I love you and walked out the front door. Evangeline hugged her body feeling better about her day, not only was John going to cook but she was also going to get to see Todd. Her two favorite men in her life in one place, life couldn’t get any better.
You have my heart by OLTLfantimes10
John stepped out of the car at the corner Greek grocery store blocks from his place. He had made a list in the car when he scanned his blackberry looking for something he could make and that would taste good. Finally settling on a Spanakopita a spinach pie, a Greek salad, baklava for dessert and a white wine to go a long with it he made his way into the small market. He nodded at the older mom and pop that ran the store and walked through the aisles scanning his list of things he needed.

He was lucky he could start early enough and have dinner by the time she got home. He picked up spinach, phyllo dough, feta cheese, onions, tomatoes and lettuce for the salad. He had plenty of olive oil at home as well as butter to help make the Spanakopita. He set his basket down trying to figure out what olives to get for an appetizer when he heard the loud staccato of heels coming in closer to him.

“Excuse me.” The voice said as her hand moved in front of his.
John looked up and smiled and took a step back, “Sorry.” He said going back to scanning the jar of olives in front of him, “Why do they have so many olives.” He said overwhelmed.

She giggled and shook her head, “Black or Green?”
“Actually I need both.” He said smiling.
“Okay well…” She said softly letting her eyes scan the shelves.
“Now you see the problem I have.”

She looked up at him her green eyes fluttered as she let out a soft laugh, “It really isn’t that bad. I would go with these.” She said pulling out two jars one black and one green.
John took both jars and stared at her, “Why these?”

Tucking her long dark hair behind her ears she smiled softly at him, “Look at the date here.” She said pointing to the side of the jar.
“Yeah what about it?”
“It tells you when these were harvested, six months ago. This is when they are at their best.” She said smiling.
“Well I’ll just take you’re word for it.” John set them in his basket and smiled at her, “Thank you.”
“My pleasure, is there anything else I could help you with…”
“John, John McBain.” He said extending his hand.
“Brooke, Brooke Davidson.” She said smiling at him.

“Thank you for your help Brooke but I think I have everything else under control.”
She laughed tossing her hair as John stood smiling at her. “Again thank you.”
“You’re very welcome John.” John picked up his basket and caught her eyes staring at him.

“Is there something wrong?” He asked setting the basket back down.
“I feel that I know you…” she said shaking her head back and forth.
“I’m afraid I’ve never seen you before in my life.” He said laughing, “Plus I think I would remember I have an infinity for faces.”
“As do I, but I feel as if I know you.” She placed her hand on her hip and gnawed at the inside of her lip, “I just don’t know how.”
“Well, I have to get home and start dinner. Thank you again Brooke I appreciate your help.”
“My pleasure. Good luck with whatever you are making.”
“As long as I don’t burn down my place I should be okay.” He said heading to the front of the story and placing his basket on the counter.

“McBain…!” She said excited and walking up to him quickly. “I knew I knew you! You’re the John McBain!”
“Excuse me?”
“The artist, I’ve seen some of your work.” She said in awe.
John began to blush as the older man continued to total up his groceries. “You have?”
“Oh it’s magnificent, it really is. The one’s of that girl.”
“Yes.”
“She beautiful at least you make her look beautiful.”
“She is beautiful.” John said more as fact than anything.

Brooke took a step back and smiled softly at him, “I didn’t mean to offend.”
“None taken, she’s a beautiful spirit inside and out.”
“She appears to be. Do you do other people besides her?”

John turned his head and looked her up and down, “I’ve never thought about it.”
“Really?”
“Why yes, it never crossed my mind.”
“Would you consider painting me?”
John swallowed hard as he handed the cashier his credit card, “I don’t know…”
“How about you do it as a thank you for the olives.” She said nodding at them. John didn’t respond and Brooke pulled out a small piece of paper, “Here is my number.” She said handing it over to him.

John took the number reluctantly and slid it into his pocket, “Think about it. I would pay you handsomely.” She said batting her eyelashes and moving closer to him. “Call it an adventure into something new.”
John nodded still unable to speak and took his credit card back signing the slip. He grabbed up his bags and walked to the door, “I hope to hear from you John.” She said waving goodbye to him.
John forced a weak smile as he backed out of the store and onto the sidewalk. He walked down the street to the car handing the bags to Jason and slid into the car. “Let’s get back to the apartment so I can get cooking.” He said softly as he looked back at the store.

~
“Evangeline Williamson to the nurses station please, Evangeline Williamson to the nurses station!” the over head speaker rang out loudly.

Evangeline smiled as she closed her lab coat and walked briskly down the hallway to the nurses station, “Line four.” The nurse behind the counter said. She picked up the phone acknowledging the nurse as she grabbed a chart and walked out of the nurses station.

“Evangeline Williamson.”
“I thought about having them page Evangeline Manning, but I changed my mind at the last minute.”
“Hey you, what’s up?” Evangeline said smiling brightly.
“I just got off the phone with John.”
“He’s making dinner, please tell me you’re coming.” She whined.
“Maybe…” Todd said raising his voice slightly.
“Like you have something else to do!”

Todd pouted and rolled his eyes, “I take offense! I have a life it may not be as great as you but I have a life!”
Evangeline scoffed, “Please, you know I was only kidding.”
“And you should know my tone of voice by now Van. Of course I’m coming he’s cooking right?”
“Yes and cleaning.” She said proudly.

“Wow, what’s gotten into him?”
“He just loves me that’s all. How’s Celia?”
“Fine, but can we not speak of her right now.”
Evangeline looked around the nurse’s station and walked behind it, “What’s going on?”
Todd shook his head as he collapsed on his sofa kicking his feet up, “How did you know that John was the one?”

Evangeline smiled at the mention of his name and how much she loved the man, “I don’t know, I just had this feeling deep in the pit of my stomach that’s all.”
“I don’t have that.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yeah I was hoping that she would be the one. I really was, she was perfect in every way Van. I mean she was like you but different.”
“Me?” Evangeline asked shocked.
“Like you don’t know that you are the perfect woman.”
“One man’s opinion.”
“Two actually, if you include John.” Todd said honestly. “All I’m trying to say is that what you and John have I want. I look at the two of you and the way you just get each other and I envy it greatly.”

Evangeline sat down in the chair and turned her back, “Todd listen to me, any woman would be extremely lucky to have you. You are an amazing man and if John wasn’t in my life I would date you in a heartbeat.”
“Honestly?”
“Honestly.” She said smiling. “You’re not only sweet but so funny, you always know how to make me laugh and you would never lie to me. That’s one thing I will always love about you, is your honesty. You tell it like it is but you still care about others feelings.”

Todd smiled softly and ran his hands through his hair, “You get back to work I’m sure you’re not supposed to have personal calls.”
Evangeline looked around and caught the eye of the charge nurse. She stood quickly smoothing her hair and jacket, “I’ll see you at home.”
“Bye.”
Evangeline hung up the phone quickly as the nurse continued to fumble with it, “Janet is looking for you.”
“Thank you…” She said quickly with her head down and rushed around to her supervisors office.

~
John moved through the apartment quickly, he had the family maid come in while he was gone but he was helping her finish up. He had a thing about his paints and his studio and didn’t like anyone messing with them, “Claudia!” He yelled picking up his paint brushes.

“Yes sir….” She said rushing to him.
John smiled at the older petite lady that had been apart of his family for years now, “You can go.” He said taking some clothing from her hands, “Tell mom thank you very much.” He kissed her gently on the cheek.
“Are you sure Mr. McBain? There are still a lot of things still to do. I could help with dinner.” She said walking toward the kitchen.

“No, no, no…” John grabbed her by the arm and led her toward the door, “I have everything under control. Tell mom thank you, and I thank you so very much. I never would have gotten this place in the condition it is without you.”

Claudia smiled over her shoulder ay John said as he pulled up the door to the elevator, “If there is anything you need from me.”
“Oh no sir… just doing my job!” Claudia said smiling at him.
John smiled as she shuffled quickly out of the apartment, “Let me know if you need anything.”
“No, no…” She said waving at him.
John closed the door and took a step back from the elevator and watched her go down. The elevator jerked and he rushed back into the kitchen to finish dinner. He had just gotten the phyllo dough out when he heard the elevator jerk to a stop. “Shit…” he mumbled looking down at his watch.

“Busted!” Todd said walking into the apartment with his hands in his pockets.
John spun around shocked to see Todd so soon, “Manning!” he said walking up to him and giving him a fraternal hug.

Todd slapped him on the back hard and pulled back with a bright smile, “What do you mean busted?”
Todd looked over at the counter top and all the food laid out, “I mean I saw Claudia down stairs. Busted McBain.”
John rolled his eyes and walked back to the counter top and finished getting things out of the refrigerator. “I need the help.” He said with his head still in the fridge.

“Don’t tell Van that, she thinks you did this all yourself.” Todd said admiring the food on the counter, “So what are you making and do you need any help?”

John looked up at Todd as he was tearing the lettuce and stared at him in shock, “What? Did Todd Manning THE Todd Manning just ask to help cook dinner!”
“Shut up man, I’ve learned to cook some things.”
“If you don’t mind the onion needs to be cut.” John said pointing to it at the end of the counter.
“Cutting the onion I can do that!” Todd said grabbing a knife from the block.

He washed his hands quickly and moved to the other side of the counter, “So what made you decide to cook?” Todd asked as he peeled the onion.
John looked up at him and smiled as he pushed his hair from his eyes with the back of his hand, “I don’t know, thought I would do something good for my lady.”

Todd smiled at John and returned to cutting the onion, “You’re lucky to have her man.”
“I know.”
“I hope you do because back in high school when you crushed her heart.”
John held up his hand, “Stop right there, I had nothing to do with that.”
“The hell you did!” Todd snapped, “If you would have gone to her.”
“I couldn’t.” He said getting angered by Todd’s comments.
“The hell you couldn’t McBain. You chose to stay away from her.”

John slammed the bowl down that had the salad in and glared at Todd, “Her father had me in between a rock in a hard place. Plus from the letters that Finn set up I thought she didn’t want me.”
Todd rolled his eyes and threw the onions into the bowl, “Whatever…” he mumbled under his breath, “You’re lucky she took your ass back.” He snapped and walked over to the couch.

John glared at the back of Todd’s head and squeezed the knife in his hand, “Or what Manning?”
Todd looked John up and down and smirked, “Or it would be me behind that counter cooking for her and not you.” He said flipping on the television.

John felt his temperature start to rise as his anger toward Todd started to boil. He always thought the boy had it for Van but he wasn’t sure till now. Clenching his jaw and both is fists he heard the elevator creak and then jerk to a stop.

Evangeline walked off the elevator and into the apartment. She saw Todd sitting on the couch flipping the channels and John standing at the counter. His face was red, his fists clenched and his jaw tighten and walked over to him.

She touched him lightly on the shoulder and he turned to look down at her. John’s face softened as she brushed her hand against his face and kissed him softly, “What’s going on?” she said pulling back and running her hand through his hair.
“Nothing.” He murmured and looked her up and down. His eyes took in how tired she looked but still amazing, “You look tired, good but tired.” He whispered playing with her hair.
“Long day.”
“Go change…” he said pushing her to the bedroom.
“Is everything okay?”
“It’s just me.” Todd said coming up to Evangeline and John.

Evangeline looked between her two favorite people and walked over to Todd, “What’s going on?”
“Nothing we can’t handle, isn’t that right McBain.” Todd said looking over her shoulder at John.
“Nothing we can’t handle.” John said glaring at him.
Evangeline patted John on the chest and walked past Todd, she kissed him on the cheek and he gave her a quick hug as he kept his eyes trained on John. Evangeline looked back at the both of them and sighed, she hated when they fought. She disappeared into the bedroom and came back out a few moments later in a pair of boxer shorts and a Columbia University tee shirt.

She saw Todd and John standing at the counter finishing dinner, “Is there anything I can do?” She said looking back and forth between the two.
“No, I think we’ve got it under control.” John said quietly.
Todd nodded and Evangeline climbed up on the counter top sitting Indian style next to Todd. She looked over at John and shook her head, she had walked in on something and neither were speaking of it. “How as your day Todd?” she said breaking the extremely uncomfortable silence.
“Fine.” He responded as he cut the cucumber for the salad.
“Yours John?”
“Fine.” He said in a monotone voice.

Evangeline shook her head at her two men, “Okay guys what is it!” she said annoyed at their silence.
“Nothing hun.” Todd said patting her leg, “Just guy stuff.”
“Well I hate when you two get into guy stuff.” She said narrowing her eyes on Todd, “Apologize.”
“For what!” Todd said shocked.
“I would say if you two would open your mouths and say what’s bothering you.”

“We’re fine.” John said slipping the Spanakopita into the oven. “Dinner should be ready soon.” He said walking past the both of them and down the hall.
Evangeline started to move but Todd stopped her, “Let me go. I said something I should have.”
“Why?”
“He was pissing me off.” Todd said annoyed.
“So!”
“I can’t help it you know I don’t always think before I speak!”
“You need to learn to control your mouth Manning, it’s going to get you into trouble one of these days. Hand me one of those olives.” Todd shook his head and pulled an olive from the jar. Evangeline opened her mouth and he popped one in and then grabbed one for himself.

He gave her a quick wink as he went back to finishing up the salad. John stood from the hallway watching them, feeling a pang of jealousy in his stomach. He ran his hand over his face and glared at Todd as Evangeline and Todd sat in the kitchen laughing and talking.

Walking back into the kitchen he grabbed the bottle of Greek wine and poured a small glass for everyone, “Wine?” Evangeline asked with a raised eyebrow.
“Just a little, nothing big.” John said passing her the glass.
“Okay.” She said skeptical.
John winked at her and moved into the living room and sat on the couch.

“I talked to Celia after I got off the phone with you.” Todd said leaning on the counter.
Evangeline looked down at him as she continued to eat the olives out of the jar, “And?” she said chomping down on them.
Todd looked up at her and smiled, “I ended things with her.”
“Oh Todd.” Evangeline moved the olives from her lap and climbed off the counter. She turned Todd to her and hugged him tightly. John caught them in the reflection of the TV and clenched his jaw.

Todd rubbed her back and she pulled back, “Are you sure that was the best thing to do?”
“Yeah…” he mumbled forcing a smile at her.
She patted his chest and winked at him, “I’m sure there is someone better out there for you then!” she said happily.
“I hope you’re right.”

John grunted as he pushed up from the couch and walked over to the oven, “You mind setting the table?” he questioned pulling out the plates and handing them to Evangeline.
She smiled and took the plates as John got the food ready and Todd got the salad on to the table. “Thank you for cooking babe.” Evangeline said as she walked around the round wooden table putting the plates down.
“Sure…” He mumbled as he carried the food to the table. They all took a seat around the table and enjoyed the dinner that John had made.

Evangeline tried to get the boys to engage in conversation but they both responded with one word answers. She finally gave up and just talked her self about whatever came to mind. John smiled a few times and even Todd laughed as she told a story about one of the orderlies at the community center walked in on two of the nurses one male and one female going at it. He excused himself embarrassed and she couldn’t help but laugh as she told the story.

The night ended with Evangeline giving Todd some Baklava to take home. “Thanks for dinner McBain.”
John waved his hand in the air as he fell onto the couch. “Don’t worry about him.”
“I wont’…” Todd said leaning in and kissing Evangeline on the cheek, “Bring him out of that mood I want you both at my bday party.” He said grinning.
Evangeline looked over her shoulder and smiled, “I’ll try.”
Todd touched her hand and moved to the elevator, “I know you will.” He winked at her as he closed the gate to the elevator and Evangeline waved bye to him.

~

Evangeline came out of the bedroom and stopped at the hallway watching John as he laid on the couch reading. “Are you coming to bed?” she asked looking over at him.
“Go ahead, I’m reading.”
“Oh…” She mumbled walking closer to him. “Whatcha reading?” She questioned softly as she drew her hands along the back of the couch.

“The latest Tom Clancy.” He said holding the book up.
“Good?’
“Yeah…”
“Good.” She nodded and knelt behind his head.

Evangeline placed her hands in his hair gently massaging his scalp and heard a soft moan escape his lips. Pulling back his head she placed her lips on his parting them with her tongue as uncurled in his mouth slowly. She tugged at it and smiled when she heard the book drop and his hands go into her hair. Pulling back she stared down at him, “What was that for?”
“Wanna make out?” She said with a bright smile and moved slowly around the couch running her hands down his chest.

“Make out?” John questioned rising up on his elbow.
Evangeline pushed him back down as she crawled up onto his lap straddling him and lowering her body against his. She kissed his lips in slow deep kisses, “Yeah make out...” she mumbled running her tongue along his lips.

John grabbed her butt and she smiled a sensual grin, “I take that as a yes…” she said laughing softly.
John threaded his fingers through her hair pulling her back down to him, “That’s a yes.” He remarked capturing her lips in a slow sensual kiss. Evangeline placed her arms on the arm of the couch as John gripped her hips and controlled her slow dance over his pelvis.

Their moans increased as he slipped his hands up under her shirt and unhooked her bra. Evangeline sat back pulling it from up under her shirt and winked at him. John rolled them over so he was on top and parted her legs to lay between them. He stared down at her and stroked her face.

Evangeline caught the look in his eyes, “What is it?” she asked tucking his hair behind his ears.
“Nothing…” he mumbled shaking his head and going back to kissing her.
Evangeline turned her head and John let out an exasperated sigh, “What!” He snapped.
“I want you to tell me what the hell is going on.”
“It’s nothing, now do you mind.” He said turning her head back so he could kiss her.

“No!” she snapped pushing at his chest, “Something is bothering you and I want to know what the hell it is!” she said pushing up and pushing John away.
“What’s going on between you and Todd!” he finally spat.
Evangeline let out a soft laugh and shook her head. She didn’t hear John laughing and looked up at him. His face was covered in a scowl, he wasn’t kidding.

“Nothing!” she said quickly, “Why would you think that.”
“You know he likes you right?”
“So?”
“He wants you.”
“Again I say so!” She said shaking her head and tucking her hair behind her ears, “I’m sorry but I have a boyfriend.” She said glaring at him, “At least I think I do!”

John stood up from her and rubbed his face and head, “Do you know how hard it is to see you two.”
Evangeline turned placing her feet on the floor, “What has gotten into you John?”
He stopped in front of her and looked down. Sitting next to her John put his head in his hands. She turned to look at him sitting Indian style on the couch she ran her fingers through his hair. Evangeline leaned into his ear and kissed it gently, “I don’t know what has you so upset McBain, but you have to know that there is only one man in the world for me.” She whispered.

“You have to know that, that man is my life and I would never trade him and what we have for the world. Todd is a friend, my best friend.” John looked at her shocked, “I thought I was!” he said hurt.

She smiled a half smiled and moved closer, “Sorry but you’re not. You’re my very best friend, my lover, my soul mate, the man that makes me want to be a better woman. You’re my future husband and the father of my children. Todd will never have any of that. You have my heart.”

John smiled and pushed her down onto the couch. He climbed on top of her and pushed her hair from her face as she laughed softly her nose wrinkled from her giggles, “I love your laugh…” he whispered kissing her lips again.

“That all you love about me?”
“I love your nose.” He said kissing it, “Your lips.” He said kissing them. “This spot right here.” He said pulling at her shirt and kissing her collar bone. He moved down her body pushing her shirt up around her stomach and kissed her navel, “And your belly button.” He said hearing her laugh. He pulled down her panties as Evangeline raised her hips up so they could slid off easily, “And…” he said with a wink as he kissed the inside of her thigh.

Evangeline sighed feeling his hands holding her legs apart and his tongue grazing her outer lips. She squirmed below him and ran her fingers through his hair as he slid his tongue into her center taking his time pleasing his woman.

The slow hum of his lips brought upon a new feeling that Evangeline had never felt before. She felt herself climaxing not being able to hold it back and released the deep seated passion she had bubbling in her lower abdomen. John smiled and licked his lips as he climbed above her parting her legs that still quivered from her orgasm. He smiled as he pulled at her shirt pulling to over her head and then undressed his self. “God you’re stunning.” He whispered as his hands roamed up and down her body gently caressing and squeezing her breasts.

He lowered his head to her chest and drew his tongue around her taught nipple. Her body quivered under his touch as he slid his hand between her legs and gently stroked her center. “Johnnnnn….” She moaned, “I…I….baby….” she said in a deep whisper.

Her voice sent shivers down his body igniting it on fire as her body fought against his fingers. Her legs closed around his hand and he knew that she couldn’t handle it much longer. Pushing into her slowly John looked down at her and smiled, “Look at me.” John demanded as he forced her hands above her head linking her fingers with his.

Her eyes slowly opened heavy with the desire and the way he made her feel, loved. John smiled and lowered his head to kiss her lips as he rocked in and out of her at a slow steady pace. Her leg rose and wrapped around his body digging her heel into his lower back and gently massaging the space above his butt in slow circles.

Her head fell backwards breaking the kiss exposing her neck to him and he couldn’t help but to kiss and suck on it. Evangeline pulled her hands free from John’s grabbing at his head forcing his mouth harder onto her neck as her hips rose to move back and forth against his.

“Oh…God…I….Wait…you…John….” She said incoherently.
He loved when he brought her to such extremes she became intelligible. Evangeline turned her head to the side, her breathing increasing to a rapid pace, her heart beat matching his as John’s thrust became more powerful, overtaking her senses.

She could feel nothing but his movements, hear nothing but the sounds of his grunts the sounds of his voice telling her he loved her. She could smell nothing but his scent one that was intoxicating that always brought her back to the first time he kissed her, she could taste nothing but the sweet wine on his breath as his tongue uncurled in her mouth. She could see nothing as her eyes were squeezed shut tightly relishing in the feeling of him.

Evangeline put her hand to her head trying to hold onto dear life as her other hand dug deep into John’s back. He felt the pain of her nails scraping his back and pushed it away as the pleasure of her walls closing around his member guiding it in and out of her center took precedence. “You…have…To….let…me….” she panted pushing at his body as his pace and demands started to drain her body and soul.

John heard her cries for release but was unable to comply as his need for her body, mind and soul over took them both. “Not…yet…” he grunted against her ear as he pounded into her causing the couch to bounce across the floor.

Her breathing became ragged as he held on to her butt with one pulling her from the couch with each thrust and held her head back with the other kissing her neck over and over again. “Now…” he cried as she vibrated her walls sending him into an orgasmic explosion unlike either had seen since they’ve been together.

John collapsed on her completed exhausted sliding slowly out of her, “Are you okay?” he asked concerned about her breathing. “I should be asking you.” She said softly trying to regain her breath.

John nodded against her chest sliding his hands up under her body holding her close. He kissed her stomach feeling her hands run through his hair and let out a soft sigh. His hot breath tickled her stomach and she coughed through her laugh. John looked up concerned, and tried to move off of her.
“Don’t!” she said quickly pulling her back down to her chest, “I’m fine…”
“Was that…”
“Fantastic.” She said beaming at him. Her body glowed with sweat from their love making.

John nuzzled her neck and Evangeline drew small circles around his upper back, “You have my heart.” He mumbled against her neck before kissing it and falling asleep against it. Evangeline turned her head kissing his forehead and looking at the ground. What on earth had gotten into him? He was never this demanding, controlling, passionate, sensuous, all consuming.

Staring at the ground she saw a small piece of paper on the floor next to his pants with the name Brooke 555-0121 scribed across it. Biting her lower lip she pushed away the thought that he had met someone else and this was his way of apologizing for entertaining the idea of another woman. Was he projecting his desire to see someone else on to her? That couldn’t be it. Evangeline shook her head and pulled the afghan down from the back of the couch onto their bodies. She wouldn’t think of it, he wouldn’t….
Gallery Showing by OLTLfantimes10
A week and a half later~

“I honestly don’t understand why you are talking to me when I can’t hear half of what you’re saying!” John yelled over the running water of the shower. “You always do this.” He yelled as he washed the soap out of his eyes.

Evangeline frowned and turned to the shower door. She opened it and John turned his head smiling at her, “Either you join me or close the door.” He said with a smirk.
She eyed him up and down and let a small smile curl at the corner of her lips, “I’ll wait.” She said closing the door.

John shook his head laughing and finished up his shower as Evangeline walked into the bed room to find something to wear. Eve was taking her shopping, they did this at least twice a month and Eve would never let Evangeline pay for anything. She enjoyed the time with Eve because Lisa was back in Connecticut doing her Fundraiser thing for the school. Layla was now a senior at Woodberry Forest and was thinking of coming to New York as well to get her degree in Business while working as an actor. The business degree was only to please her father.

Thinking of Charles Evangeline’s smile faded on her face as she stared at her reflection from her vanity, she had her father’s eyes and looking at herself always reminded her of him. Her heart ached to have their relationship back but he still wasn’t supportive of her relationship with John even after everything they had been through together. Charles was just as stubborn as they day she walked away form him at her graduation never to look back again.

Frustrated with her wardrobe and not being able to find something halfway decent to wear she walked back into the bathroom in nothing but her panties and bra. She stared at her self in the mirror trying to figure out what to do with her hair and that may help decide what to wear. The shower turned off and she looked over her shoulder at John as he stepped out dripping wet. He reached for a towel watching her watch him in the mirror and pushed his wet hair out of his face, “What’s wrong?” he questioned walking up to stand next to her.

“Trying to figure out how to do my hair…”
“Where are you going?”
“With your mom, she’s taking me shopping.”
“Ah yes the bi monthly bonding with Eve dearest.” He said nodding his head and reaching for his toothbrush.

Evangeline turned and rested against the counter of the sink and smiled at him, “You know I love your mom. She’s really a great lady.”
John nodded his head and winked at her as he continued to brush his teeth. “I just wish she would let me pay for some of these things that I buy.”
He spit and rinsed and looked at her from the sink, “She likes to buy stuff for you. She never had a daughter and you’re like one to her.”
“I know… I know, but I still wish she would let me pay for some of the things.”
“Have you told her that?”
“Yes, but she doesn’t listen.” She said laughing and shaking her head.

John leaned over and kissed her on the forehead, “Let mom do something nice for you. It makes her feel better okay.”
She nodded and watched him walk out of the bathroom the towel tied tight around his waist. “What are you up to today?” she asked following him out of the bathroom and playing with the ends of her hair.

He pulled on his boxer briefs throwing the towel to the bed and Evangeline rolled her eyes as she grabbed it and hung it back up in the bathroom. “I have to go to the gallery set things up for tonight.”
“Tell Pierce and Jackson I said hi would you?”
“I will, make sure you’re home by seven so we can get to the gallery on time.”
“I’m getting a new dress for tonight!” she said excited.

John smirked as he slid on his jeans and jumped as he buttoned them, “What color?”
“Don’t know yet…What are you wearing tonight.” She said walking over to their closet and pulling out a pair of jeans herself.
“I was thinking that light blue shirt you got me earlier this week and a pair of black slacks.”
“Hair slicked back?” She questioned pulling on a tee shirt from her drawer. Pulling it back off she threw it on the bed and went for another one.
“Of course.”

Evangeline reached for yet another shirt and pulled it on. Finally settling on a light yellow tank top with a rhinestone butterfly she pulled her hair up into a mid ponytail and twisted the hair into a bun sticking it with chopsticks and adding a pair of diamond studs that John had gotten her for their first anniversary.

He came up behind her placing his hands on her hips and kissed her shoulder, “I’m sure what ever you get you will be the talk of the night.” He said holding her close and running his hands over her stomach.
“Nope, something simple and not distracting, these showings are all about my man.” She said kissing the side of his face.
He nuzzled her neck and rocked her back and forth as he pushed the bottom of her tank up revealing more of her stomach. “You got time for a quickie?”
“Nothing with you is quick McBain.” She said laughing softly as she ran her fingers through his hair watching him in the mirror.

John raised his head placing his chin on her shoulder catching her eyes in the mirror, “This is true. What time are you meeting my mom?”
She looked down at her watch breaking their eye contact and then caught his eyes again, “I’ve got time.” She said grinning.

His hands ran up the front of her tank massaging her breasts. Her eyes fluttered close as she started to walk them back to the bed. John hit the foot of the bed bringing her down with him and they both laughed. He rolled over throwing his shirt to the floor and unbuttoning his jeans as he kicked them off. Evangeline quickly undressed and moved up to the head of the bed. He grabbed her ankle pulling her back down to him and kissed her hard against the lips. Her hands rose above her head and John reached for them linking his hands with his, “I love you Dr. McBain…” he said softly before sliding into her.

~

Evangeline walked through the streets of New York her arms loaded down with bags from stores up and down Fifth Avenue. She had finally learned after her second shopping trip with Eve that tennis shoes were in order if she was going to survive the day and afternoon with her.

They had lunch at Tiffany’s and they both sat around talking about John’s latest show, “Are you sure Thomas is going to be there?” Evangeline asked as they walked into one of the boutiques setting their bags down behind the counter.

Eve smiled at her, “I’ve made sure that Thomas is there. I had his secretary clear his calendar so he wouldn’t work late and miss the show like last time.”
“You know John may not have said anything to either of us but he was really hurt that Thomas wasn’t there.” She said fingering a few pant suits.

Eve looked at her over the top of the rack of clothes and frowned, “He was?”
“Yeah…” She mumbled walking around to stand next to Eve, “I can read him and he was really upset that Thomas wasn’t there. So I really hope that he’s there tonight.”
Eve touched her hand and smiled, “I’ll make sure Thomas is there. He’s been to only a handful of John’s shows while both of us have been to them all.”

Evangeline turned her head and held back tears, she had been to all but one show. Eve touched her shoulder turning Evangeline around and she wiped at the corner of her eyes. She laughed softly and shook her head, “I’m sorry.”
“What is it dear?”
“John’s shows… I haven’t been to all of them.” She mumbled shaking her head. “I missed the very first one. That was the night my dad…”

Eve leaned in and wrapped her arms around Evangeline soothing her, “Shhh.. .it’s okay. John knows hun…” she said rubbing her back.

Evangeline placed her arms around Eve’s neck holding her close, “I just hate that I missed his debut.” She said as tears trickled down her face on to Eve’s shoulder. Pulling back she wiped at her cheek and eyes and tried to smile. “It wasn’t your fault, John knows this.” Eve said touching her face.

The ladies stood quietly in the store just smiling at each other. Evangeline knew that John didn’t blame her for not being at that first show but it was something she would never get over. She would always be supportive of his career and didn’t want him to think otherwise. “What do you say we go see a show?”
“The movies? That’s new!” Evangeline said excited.
“Well I’m all shopped out. We both found something to wear for tonight and I do believe that the Boys McBain will be quite flabbergasted by our outfits.” She said with bright eyes.

Evangeline laughed and nodded, “The movies it is.” She said walking back over to the counter. Evangeline and Eve picked up their bags and nodded to the store attendants. The moved out of the store and back onto the busy streets of New York. She nodded at the driver that was following them around to come and get their bags. Evangeline pulled out her cell phone to look up movie times, “Eve where do you want to go!” she called as they loaded the bags into the trunk of the limo.

“Where ever I don’t care, and lets see something funny shall we. I’m in the mood to laugh.”
Evangeline smiled and nodded her head, “There’s a comedy with Will Farrell and Will Smith starting in about a half hour. We could make that.”
“Great lets go!” She waved Evangeline over to the limo and they both quickly got in as the driver went back around and Evangeline gave him the address to the theater.

~

“Can we get this one over here?” John questioned as he looked at the empty space between two of his paintings and a crowd of paintings on a far wall.

Jackson plucked the painting off the wall that would fit in the space and carried it over to John. “I think this one will work.” He said hanging it up.
John took a step back admiring the configuration of the paintings and shook his head, “Some things off.” He said frowning and biting the inside of his lip. “What’s off?”

Pierce came walking over and started at the arrangement they made, “There in the wrong order.” He said shifting the pictures. “See this one she’s sad… then it moves to excitement or surprise and then finally longing.” He said roaming his hands over the pictures of Evangeline.

John nodded his head and then scratched it. “Are there any more in the back? I don’t like this one.” He said pulling the painting of Evangeline crying off the wall.
Pierce looked at Jackson and they both rushed off after John, “What are you talking about that’s one your best paintings John!” Jackson said rushing after him.

John dropped the painting down in the store room and placed his hands on his hips, “It’s crap you and I both know that.”
Pierce came up and touched John on the shoulder, “It’s not. But I’ve learned over the years not to argue with you and other artists. If you don’t want it out there we’ll find something else to replace it.”

John looked at his watch and frowned, “We only have an hour before I have to leave.”
“Well lets stop putzing around and get to it shall we.” Jackson said as he went over to rows of paintings that John had created. There were abstracts, portraits of Evangeline and Michael as a young boy, even a few landscapes.

John rolled his neck and squatted down in front a few of the landscape paintings, “A landscape?” he mumbled to himself flipping through them. Nothing in this back room would work in that spot. He stood up pacing the room and both Pierce and Jackson watched him. “None of these will work!” he said frustrated throwing his hands in the air.

“What if we just leave that spot empty, say someone came in early and bought what was there.” Pierce said smiling and running his hands through his hair.
John looked over at him and shook his head. “I don’t care, whatever…” he said rubbing his face and his hands through his hair. “We’ve been here for hours and I’m tried.”

Jackson looked up at him and then threw him a bottle of water from the cooler he sat on. John caught it and frowned. “I don’t think this is going to work tonight…” he mumbled looking at the both of them.

Pierce jumped up from the floor, “John just take a few deep breaths. We don’t have to have anything up there. We’ll go with what we have now. Go home change get ready and break that beautiful girlfriend of yours back to this gallery.”

John nodded his head and rubbed his face as he walked out of the store room. Tonight wasn’t going to go so great.

~

Evangeline stood in the kitchen devouring some day old cold pizza in nothing but her pure pink silk robe. She was starving after her shopping trip with Eve and knew that they never really served any good food at these things. Sitting on the counter kicking her feet back and forth as she ate the cold pepperoni pizza her eyes rolled back in her head and she let out a soft moan, “I thought I was the only thing that could elicit that kind of response from you.” John said dropping his keys next to her.

Evangeline opened her eyes and placed her hand over her mouth, “Hi…” she mumbled smiling at him with her eyes.
“Hi…” he leaned down and kissed her forehead, “I’m going to go get in the shower have you had one?” he asked walking to the back of the apartment.
“I have.” She said jumping down, “You want me to iron your clothes?” She asked following him down the hallway.

John stopped and turned with a surprised look on his face, “You iron since when.”
“Hush McBain…” She said rolling her eyes, “Light blue shirt and black slacks right?” she asked walking over to the closet.
“Yeah!” He yelled turning on the water to the shower.

Evangeline got his clothes from the closet and carried them down the hall to the spare bedroom to iron them. She hummed a soft tune to herself as she swayed back and forth ironing his clothes. As she carried them back to their room she sat them on the bed and ran her hand along the opening of her robe. She had a few surprises for her man tonight. Smiling she looked up to see him staring at her with a half smile, “What’s that look for?” she questioned moving across the room to him.

John shook his head and turned to go back into the bathroom, “Thank you for that.” He called as he started to brush his teeth again. Evangeline smiled and undid her robe to tighten it up again. She walked into their large bathroom and smiled at him in the mirror, “Hair?”
“You’re going to do my hair?”
“I want my man to look drop dead handsome.” She said climbing up on the skin.

John smiled and moved to stand in front of her parted legs. The robes fell open sliding his hands up the sides of her thighs and he ran his hands up and down the soft silky smooth fell of her skin. Evangeline winked and pushed his hands away, “Keep your hands to yourself McBain.”

John pouted and placed his hands on either side of her as she reached for some of his hair gel squirting it into her hands. She rubbed her hands together before putting them in his hair and slicking his hair back just the way she liked it. His eyes closed as he felt her hands move slowly over his scalp giving him an impromptu to scalp massage.

His lips parted and his tongue ran gently across them. Evangeline leaned in smelling the fresh scent of his skin and blew across his ear. “Don’t start something you can’t finish babe.” He said gripping her hips and drawing her closer.

Evangeline shrieked at the sudden movement then pushed his hands away. “Keep your hands to yourself McBain.” She whispered again.
John rolled his closed eyes and threw his hands up in the air as she finished his hair, “You done?”
“Am I inconveniencing you?” she said with a hint of an attitude.
John shook his head and opened one of his eyes, “I just have this problem when it comes to you.”
Evangeline took her hands from his head and wiped them on a nearby towel, “What would that be?”
“When you’re this close to me I have this need to touch you.” He said smiling at her.
Evangeline pushed him away and slid form the counter, “Well you’ll just have to learn to control yourself then won’t you.” She said walking out of the bathroom. “Get dressed hun, the limo will be here any minute.”

John looked at her confused, “Limo?”
“Yeah you’re mom and dad thought it would be a nice treat to arrive to your show in a limo.”
“A limo…hmm…” John said nodding and following her out of the bathroom. She walked over to her vanity and did her make and finished her hair as John got dressed. He caught her staring at him occasionally and knew she had something else planned for this evening. “Why is it that you can look at me like that and I can’t?” he asked moving toward her.

Evangeline looked up handing him her locket and John leaned over fastening it around her neck as she put on her diamond stud earrings, “Because I’m a woman and I know how to control my lust.” She said with a smirk.
“Ahhh…” he mumbled kissing her shoulder and pushing the robe down her arm.
Evangeline pulled it back up and stared at John as he frowned back at her in the mirror. “Are you going to get dressed?”
“Yes I am, but you’re not allowed to see my dress. So why don’t you go watch sports center or sports zone until the limo gets here.”
John smiled and moved from her running his fingers through her hair before leaving the bedroom.

Evangeline smiled and waved as he closed the door behind him. She quickly got dressed in Dolce & Gabbana Dress that Eve had bought for her. Standing in the black stain dress with a lace trim v neck and a seamed bodice she smiled and slid her hands down the sides of the slim skirt that hugged all of her curves. Her skin radiated from the light shimmery lotion she applied and her hair was full in whimsical curls. The T strap Dolce & Gabbana sandals raised her height to meet Johns and she smiled as she turned her locket around to rest in the creases of her cleavage.

She reached into her closet pulling out her black wrap placing it around her shoulders. The dress left nothing to the imagination and that meant no under ware of any kind. If John knew this then he wouldn’t want to leave the apartment.

She flipped her hair around her shoulders and smiled at herself before heading to John. She walked down the hall the click of her heels on the hardwood floor made John flip off the television and turn his attention to her. His mouth fell open as he slowly rose to his feet staring at her. She walked over to him and pushed his mouth closed and smoothed down some loose strands of his hair, “Mouth off the floor McBain.” She whispered walking around him in slow seductive strides.

John turned following her stunned by her beauty. He’d never seen a dress like that on her body and he didn’t want to leave with her looking like that. He grabbed his keys and slipped his arm around her waist and pulled the elevator door up. They stepped in and he admired the soft fabric of the dress sliding his hands up and down the sides of her body inhaling her soft perfume.

As they stepped out side the limo driver was standing waiting for them. John smiled and guided Evangeline to the waiting limo. She slid in and John did the same. He sat next her stunned silent and she smirked shaking her head. She knew the dress was drop dead, but didn’t think he would have this type of response to it. “I invited Andrea.” She said looking over at him.

John swallowed wetting his mouth and looked over at her, “Really?”
“Yeah, I thought Todd could use someone to talk to tonight. You know how he gets at these things.” She said reapplying her lip gloss.
“Good idea…”

~

The limo pulled up to the Gallery and Evangeline looked out the window and smiled. Thomas had set everything up perfectly. John pushed open the door as he leaned across her and kissed her cheek. “Ready hun?” he asked gripping her hand.
“That would be a yes.” She said smiling back at him.
As they stepped out onto the red carpet Thomas had laid out the flashbulbs went off in their eyes and John looked stunned. Evangeline slid her arm into his and gripped his hand posing for the pictures, “Surprise baby…” She whispered in his ear.
“You did this for me?” He asked stunned.
“For you the moon and the stars.” She said softly and kissed his cheek, “I hope you don’t mind. You deserve all this and more.”

He squeezed her hand lowering his head as the flashbulbs went off and they moved up the sidewalk to the gallery. The flashbulbs continued to go off in their eyes with the photographers calling both of their names for them to look in a certain direction.

As they moved down the line John ran his hand through his hair nervously at all the attention he was getting. Thomas, Eve and Evangeline had gone to such lengths to make this night one he would never forget. As they reached the door the doorman opened it to the applause of the crowd. Evangeline let go of his hand moved to stand next to Eve and Thomas as they all clapped wildly for him. John raised his hands silencing the applause and smiled at his parents and Evangeline, “Wow…” He said staring at everyone in attendance.

He caught the green eyes of Brooke and stared at her for a moment in shock. It had been a week since he talked to her and now here she was. He turned his eyes back to the crowd and smiled at everyone, “Thank you so much for that. I don’t deserve it any of this. I’m just some lone artist who happened to have an amazing muse.” He said raising his hand to Evangeline. “Ladies and Gentleman, Evangeline Williamson.” He said clapping his hands.

Evangeline frowned at him and shook her head, this was his night not hers. She waved off the applause and blew him a kiss. “Lets get this party started and something that my muse doesn’t know. The profits from tonight’s show all go to the Columbia University Community Health Center as well as the pediatric wing at New York Presbyterian.” He said smiling.

Evangeline placed her hand over her chest in shock and awe and he mouthed he loved her, “So lets get this show started. If you need any help with anything ask myself, Pierce or Jackson.”

John walked over to Evangeline grabbing her hands and kissing the backs of them, “You’ve out done yourself.” He whispered kissing her lips.
“You’re not mad?” She asked hesitantly.
“Not at all, this is the best babe. Thank you. Mom, Dad thank you as well. I know you had something to do with this.”

He walked over and hugged both parents and Eve cried slightly. She was so proud of John and everything that he had accomplished without her input. Pulling out of the hug with his father Thomas smiled and hugged John quickly again, “I’m so proud of you son.” He said holding him close.
John smiled and so did Evangeline as she held on to Eve’s arm and squeezed it gently, “We did good Eve.”
Eve stroked her arm and smiled, “We did do good. Let’s get our party on.” Eve said grinning at them all.

John nodded and reached for Evangeline, “You come with me…” he said kissing her face and sliding his arm around her waist pulling her to him. “That I can do.”

John walked around with Evangeline on his side with a bright smile on his face. Sliding from him she crossed the room to Thomas and Eve and hugged they gently, “You two look great.” She said smiling at them.
Thomas looked at her and smiled, “You my dear look fabulous. Eve told me about the dress but I must say she didn’t do it justice.” He said spinning her around.

Evangeline blushed and smiled at Eve, “Eve did an amazing job helping me pick out this dress. I was going to go with a red one. She said too flashy.”
“That’s right dear, too flashy is right…” Eve said with a chuckle.
“So how is John handling all of this?” Thomas questioned resting against the wall and sipping his scotch.
Evangeline turned and stood next to Eve holding her arm she smiled at John. “He’s okay, I think when he got back from the gallery to change he was mad about something, but I think he’s over it now.”

Eve rubbed Evangeline’s arm and looked at her son engaging in fruitful conversation with others in the gallery. Thomas looked over at his son and marveled, John had really come a long way and he was very proud of him. He’d done something right and not turned his son into a carbon copy of himself.

John stood with Pierce talking with a new buyer explaining the process behind his work and how he created this abstract that hung next to him. “It was just one of those things that I felt, most the time I do portraits or landscapes. Lately I’ve been doing a lot of abstract paintings and it’s very liberating.” He said admiring the work.

“It’s masterful, I love the greens and the blues and how they run together but at the same time they are separate.” She said waving her had over the painting.
John and Pierce nodded their head in agreement, “I’ll take it.” She said smiling at the both of them, “How much?”
“I don’t handle the money thing. I’ll let you and Pierce talk dollars and cents. If you excuse me I see my future fiancé talking with my parents.” John walked away shaking the ladies hand and patted Pierce on the back.

He caught Evangeline’s eyes smiling brightly at him as he strolled a confident strut over to her. One hand in his pocket the other holding a tonic water and lime. “Are you all having fun?” he questioned admiring the dress she wore while talking to his parents.
“We are son, were you surprised with what Evangeline did for you?” Thomas asked.
“I kind of had an inclination that something was going on.”
“Liar!” she said with a shake of her hip.

John walked up to her slipping his arms around her waist pulling her into his chest, “Actually I knew something major was going on when you wouldn’t let me see the dress you bought from Nieman’s…” he whispered against her ear.
Setting the glass down behind her on the window sill he ran his fingers in small circles along her back and kept his eyes trained on hers.
“Well it was really you’re mother and father’s idea.” She said biting the inside of her lip as his hands slid down her body and cupped her butt.
John turned his head and grinned at both his parents, “Was it now?”

“It was your mother wanted to do something special for you and since you haven’t had a show in what six seven months now we thought we would go all out I hope you don’t mind.”

John reached out and touched his mom’s face and leaned over and kissed her on the forehead, “Thank you mom.” He said softly. Tears formed in Eve’s eyes as John pulled back and reached to shake Thomas’ hand. “Excuse me…” Eve said rushing off to the bathroom.
“I best go check on your mother, she gets very emotional when it comes to her kids.” Thomas said with a quick wink and set his glass down to go chase after Eve.

“So….” Evangeline said turning his head back to meet hers.
“So….”
“I saw you with that woman talking, did she buy that abstract?”
“That she did, I’m letting Pierce handle the money aspect. I’ll get a check at the end of the night.”
“Well that is just wonderful news.” She said excitedly playing with the lapel of his suit jacket.

John looked around at all the guests and moved them around a pillar in the back of the gallery, “What are you doing McBain…” Evangeline questioned stumbling over her shoes.
“I need to ask you something.” He pushed her up against the pillar raising both hands and placing them over her head. He leaned in against her ear pushing her hair back with his face and kissed her neck lightly, “Talk…” she said softly as she felt his body press into hers.

“That dress.”
“What about it?”
“Please tell me you have something on up underneath it.”
Evangeline chuckled and ran her tongue along the jaw of his face, “Wouldn’t you like to know….” She moaned as she pressed her body into his.

John let out a soft groan and lowered his hand placing it firmly on her butt and massaging it gently, “From the feel of things…”He said softly as his hand trailed down to the hem of her dress and raised it up slowly.

Evangeline swiped his hand away and glared at him, “We are in public and your parents are around here some place behave yourself!”
“Not when you’re not wearing anything underneath that dress.”
“Well then I guess I’ll just have to stay out of the way of your grabby hands; since they have a tendency to have a mind of their own.” She ducked from up under his arms and pulled her dress back down. Flipping her hair over her shoulder she blew him a quick kiss and turned to rejoin the crowd. John rolled his eyes fixed himself in his pants and quickly did the same.

Walking slowly back into the crowd he felt a hand come up on his shoulder turning him around, “It’s all so beautiful.” She said softly looking around the gallery.
“Brooke right?” John questioned shaking his head making sure he got the young woman’s name right.
“You remembered, I was hoping that you would remember.”
“That I did, it’s nice of you to show up.”
“Well I read about it in the paper so I decided to make my way out here to see what a real gallery showing was like.”

John looked around the room and smiled, “Well this is it, how do you like it?”
“It’s nice but I don’t have near enough money to own one of your works.” She said bashfully. “Have you considered my request?”
“You want me to paint you?”
“I would love that actually.” She said laughing and touching his hand. John looked down and back into her green eyes and gave her a half smile. She pulled her hand back slowly and wiped it on her dress. The green slip dress with ruffles at the bottom matched her green eyes to a T. They stood out even more with her hair up in a French twist and spiral curls down the sides of her face. A single diamond necklace sat against her pale skin and she reached up to touch it.

John smiled and shook his head, “I don’t think that would be such a great idea. Thank you for coming out Brooke.” He said turning to leave.
She reached out grabbing his wrist and turned him back around, “Please.” She said batting her eyelashes.
“I’m sorry I can’t.” he pulled his hand free and walked back into the crowd getting stopped again by Maria the first person to own one of his pieces.

John hugged her tightly kissing both sides of her face as she did the same, “Johnny it’s so good to see you!” she said smiling happily.
“You as well. I didn’t think you would be able to make it.”
“Well Fernando and I came straight in from Madrid for your show. Jackson gave us a call saying that you had some amazing pieces up for sale.”
“Have you found anything of your liking?”
“I think Fernando has his eye on the semi-nude of Evangeline in the corner.”
“Ah yes, that’s one of her favorites. I’m surprised she even let me put it up, thought for sure she would be way too embarrassed for such a thing to be hanging in someone else’s place.”

“Well it’s just her back nothing for her to be embarrassed about. I love the way the teal blanket she’s covered with is flowing around her back, it’s almost like you could reach out and touch it. How do you accomplish such things.”
John smiled and leaned into her, “It’s magic my dear Maria pure magic…” he said laughing.
“I take that as it’s your secret and you dare not tell a soul!” she said laughing and hitting him in the chest.
“It is…” he smiled and scanned the room for Fernando. “I see he found the subject of the painting of his desire.” He said nodding towards the side of the gallery.

“The man has a radar for beautiful women.” She said laughing.”
“And that is how he landed you.”
“Johnny!” she said hitting his hand, “Listen Fernando and I would love to take Evangeline and you out for dinner on Saturday night.”
“That would be great. You know the number call and leave a message with the time and place.”
“That I can do. I think we should go rescue Evangeline before Fernando tries to take the actual person home instead of the painting.”

John nodded and followed her across the gallery to Evangeline’s side. Kissing her cheek he linked his hand in hers and pulled her away, “Fernando is a mess.” She said laughing and walking away.
“That he is…”
“So who were you talking to earlier?”
“Earlier, when earlier?”
“The girl with the green eyes and green dress to match she’s lovely.” She said strolling along side of him.
He looked down at her with a raised eyebrow, “No one.”
“Was it Brooke?”

John froze and pulled her aside, “How did you know that?”
“That night after dinner with Todd in the apartment.”
“Yeah what about it?”
“When you fell asleep on my chest after we made love I saw a number for a Brooke on the floor next to your pants.”
“Oh…” John looked away and rubbed his face.
“Who is she to you John?”

He looked down at her stunned, “No one!” he replied quickly.
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, positively. She helped me in the market that day find some olives, you know I’m not the shopping type.”
“Continue…”
“As I was leaving she remembered where she knew me from and asked if I would paint her in exchange for her help.”
“She wants you to paint her, that’s unusual.”
“I know, you’re the only one that I love to paint, that I can paint for that matter. Why she would want me to paint her is beyond me.”

Evangeline patted his chest and smoothed his shirt down, “I think you should do it.”
“What?” he asked surprised.
“You like challenges, and painting someone who is not me is quiet a challenge. So I say do it. Is she going to pay you?”
“I don’t know, I told her no several times.”
“Well it’s time to find her and tell her yes. I’m going to go find Todd because Andrea just came in the door and I want to introduce the two. I trust you to do the right thing John, plus it’s an adventure and you love adventures.” She leaned in and kissed his speechless lips and moved from him waving to Andrea and rushing to hug her old roommate.

John turned and frowned at Evangeline, why would she want him to paint another person, a woman at that. Rubbing his face he nodded at Jackson and Pierce as they waved him over to talk with a prospective buyer.
The Painting by OLTLfantimes10
John walked into the apartment carrying the mail from the past several days. Dropping it on the counter he ran through it quickly setting aside the bills for Evangeline to pay. He stared down at a small brown envelope from Pierce and tore it open. Emptying the contents pictures of models spilled across the counter. Shaking his head John couldn’t do anything but laugh at what Pierce was trying to do.

Running a hand through his tousled hair he looked up to hear the soft Classical sounds playing through the apartment. “Shit…” he mumbled looking down at his watch. John kicked off his shoes and socks as he crossed the apartment and pulled off his shirt throwing it to the ground in the hallway next to hers.

Pushing open the bedroom door he saw her yoga pants and sports bra lying on the floor and a huge smile spread across his lips. He was late and she would punish him for that. Pushing open the bathroom door he leaned against the door jam smiling down at her in the large bathtub. This was their Friday mid morning ritual and if he was late she might not let him play.

“You’re late…” Evangeline mumbled her eyes closed as she rested against the back of the tub her arms on each side and a leg bent in the water.
John unzipped his pants pulling them down and his boxer briefs as well. He pushed his hair back and stepped closer to her. Bending down he kissed her forehead and pushed some loose strands of her hair away. “Are you going to let me in?” he asked against her ear as he drew his fingers up and down her arm.

“You’re late, you know the rules…” she said with a coy smile.
He knelt beside the tub and let his hand graze down her chest and gently massaged her breasts under the water as he nuzzled her neck. “Rules are meant to be broken.” He whispered and gently nibbled on her ear.
“Not this one…” she said laughing softly and swiping his hand away

John smiled softly and slipped his hand back into the water and in between the valley of her breasts, “I know you want to let me in.”
“Nope.” She said quickly and opened up one of her eyes to see him staring at her lustfully.
“We’ll see about that.” He said softly as he pushed her legs apart and ran his fingers over her center. Her body shot up from the sudden movement of his hand and she gripped the sides of the tub.

John smiled keeping his hand in between her legs he moved slowly behind her and sunk into the water, “See…” he said as her body fell back against her chest.
“You don’t play fair!” she said laughing.

John massaged her shoulders and neck as she let out soft moans from his touch. “Never said anything about fair.” He said as his fingers moved up to the base of her neck and applied soft pressure. “How was class?”
“I took Andrea with me this morning.” She moaned.
“And?” John questioned as his hands moved down her shoulders and over her chest to caress both of her breasts.

Evangeline shifted against him feeling him stiffen behind her. “And, she had fun I guess.” She said slowly resting her head against his chest.
“Mmm hmmm…” His hands moved around to her stomach and over her thighs gently working the tension from her legs, “Katia work you out?”
“Yeah.”
“I hope not too much?” he asked parting her legs and massaging her inner thighs.

Evangeline sat up and looked over her shoulder at him, “What do you have in mind McBain?” she asked turning in the water to straddle him.
“What does this remind you of?” he asked scooping up water and drizzling it down her back over and over again.

Placing her arms around his neck Evangeline flipped her hair aside and leaned in against him, “That night you found me at our cottage.”
John put his hands on her hips and gently kneaded away any pain she may have had. Kissing the inside of her neck he slipped his hands around her butt to let his hands roam it.

“That was one of the best nights of my life.” She said sliding her hand down his chest and on to his member, moving her hand up and down under the water. “Mine too.” He grunted as her hands picked up speed sending shockwaves through his body.
“Care to recreate it?”
“Don’t we always Friday morning?”

Evangeline leaned in letting her tongue trail over his lips before parting them and sliding it into his mouth. John took that as a yes as her body came closer and he felt her slide onto him. She gasped from the feel of him and grabbed his hair with one hand and the back of the tub with the other as she started her movements over his lap. The slow rocking back and forth allowed her to take him all the way in as she continued to kiss him deeply, passionately.

John let her tongue uncurl in his mouth and gently sucked on it as he moved in and out of her in a slow steady pace. Evangeline pulled out of the kiss but kept her face pressed against his letting out short quick sighs of passion. Her eyes were squeezed tight as he his nails dug into her hips pulling her further down onto his member.

Holding onto her hips to guide her movements John buried his face into her chest gently sucking and licking her breasts and nipples. The water splashed around their slow movements as his thrusts into her increased in pace.

Evangeline pulled his hair back sinking her lips around his neck as she bounced against his lap. Holding her body against his with one hand he squeezed the side of the tub with the other taking control of her movements. Her passionate cries filled the room as her walls began to quiver around him.

“Oh god… baby…please…don’t stop….” She panted against his ear.
Holding onto his back digging her own nail into his flesh she relished in the feeling of his body pressed firmly against hers, as he pumped into her with more feverish thrusts.

The water spilled over the tub and onto the floor as Evangeline fell backwards into the water with John on top as their climax took them over. Kissing her collar bone and the tops of her breasts as he squeezed the last of himself in to her Evangeline smiled as she stroked the side of his face.

He pulled her back up and slid slowly out of her, trying to catch his breath. Grinning and turning over sitting in between his legs Evangeline let out a satisfied sigh as she stroked his legs. “You’re so wrong…” he mumbled holding her close as he drew small circles over her stomach.

Evangeline looked over her shoulder and kissed his jaw, “What is it with you and my stomach?” she questioned placing her hands over his.
John frowned and looked down at her, “What are you talking about?”
“Your hands, every time we make love and we just sit together they go to my stomach…” she said shifting back around and snuggling against him.
“I don’t know…”
“Yes you do, so just tell me.”
John sighed and shifted in the cooling water, “Well McBain…” she questioned turning around and looking up at him.

John tucked her wet hair behind her ears and cupped her face. Kissing her lips he ran his fingers over them before pulling at her bottom lip and kissing them again, “I want kids… I want kids with you.” He said softly his eyes closed.
Evangeline smiled and sighed hearing him say that, “Well then I want to be married. I want to be married to you before we have kids.”
“I know, I know…”
“So what are you waiting for?”

John smirked and pulled back with a shake of the head, “I don’t know…find the perfect ring I guess?”
She ran her finger over her promise ring and held it up against her chest, “I don’t know how you could find one any more perfect than this.” She said softly.
John reached behind her and pulled the plug free draining the water and then stepped out of the tub. Evangeline looked at him curiously as he reached for her hand and helped her out of the tub.

John dried her body rubbing away the tension from her yoga work out with Katia and then wrapped the towel around her body, “It’s out there and when I find it I’ll know.” He said wrapping a towel around his waist.
“Have you been looking?” she questioned looking down at the ground and twisting her foot on the mat.

John chuckled as he looked over at her, “You don’t want it to be a surprise?”
Evangeline looked up at him with a wicked grin and kissed his cheek, “I love surprises…” she said sashaying out of the bathroom. John looked after her and laughed as he followed her into the bedroom.

He pulled on a pair of sweat pants and she put on one of his painting shirts and pulled her hair up into a hair clip. “You hungry?” Evangeline asked passing him and kissing his back.
“Starved someone likes to drain the energy from me.”
Hitting him on the butt Evangeline laughed and pulled John with her into the kitchen. “Sorry about your back.” She said rubbing it and kissing the scratches on it as he leaned into the fridge.

John stood up and looked over his shoulder at the marks, “Ahh that’s nothing.”
Evangeline laughed covering her mouth she took a step back to the counter. “What are these?” she said frowning and going through these pictures.
“Models.”

Evangeline held up the pictures with a frown on her face as she went through model after model, “Who sent you these?” she questioned looking at John who stood next to her making a fruit salad.
“Pierce he was around when I talked to that Brooke girl yesterday.”
“Oh. So you agreed to paint her.”
John set the knife down and looked at her with a raised eyebrow, “You told me too.”
“I did, I did and don’t get me wrong I think it’s a great opportunity and all but why would Pierce send you these?”
“No clue.”
“They are very beautiful.” She said softly setting the pictures down on the counter and hugging her body.

John looked back over at her and kissed the top of her head, “What’s bugging you?”
“These pictures.” She said pushing them away, “To think that my boyfriend would be…”
John grabbed her wrist to keep her from touching the pictures and pulled her too his chest, “I love you, so stop thinking what those thoughts.”

She smiled a half smile as she ran her fingers up and down his chest, “If you ever John…”
“I wouldn’t!” he snapped.
“I would walk, no questions.” She said staring him in the eye. “There would be nothing you…”
John grabbed the sides of her face and kissed her hard sticking his tongue into her mouth and pulling at hers fiercely. Her breath caught from the overwhelming power of his kiss and she fought back against it pushing and pulling at his tongue with her own.

John broke the kiss panting hard he looked down at her with a sly smile on his face, “You believe me now?” he said narrowing his eyes to her.
Evangeline took a step back regaining her breath and slowing her heart rate. She looked up at him shocked as she wiped the corners of her mouth, “What was that?”
John grabbed her by the wrist pulling her to him again, “Do I need to show you what you mean to me, or would you like to take my word for it.”
She swallowed nervously at the passion in his voice, “I’ll…I’ll take you’re word.” She knew what he did when he wanted to prove his love. Her body would ache for days because of it.

“Good, didn’t think so.” He said with a wink and going back to cutting fruit, “Now if you don’t mind I’m starving, You mind making sandwiches?”
She shook her head and moved to the fridge to get makings for sandwiches while John finished making the fruit salad.

~

“Where are you going dressed like that!” John said staring at Evangeline in a short jean skirt, a yellow halter top that flared around her waist and a pair of T sandals. Her hair was blown straight and hung softly around her face. Her diamond stud earrings glistened in the light of the sun setting that streamed through the windows. Evangeline looked down at her watch and smiled, “Out with Andrea…” she said sashaying up to him. “What are you doing tonight?” she questioned handing him her locket and turning around so he could put it on.

John cleared his throat as he rose up to place the locket around her neck, “Brooke…”
“Ah yes, the infamous Brooke is coming over.”
“I don’t have to do this if you don’t want me to.” He said kissing the back of her neck and turning her around.
“No, it’s fine really.” She said with a half smile feeling weary about it. Her stomach clinched in a tight knot as John fell back onto the couch and kicked his feet up. “When is she getting here?”
“In about a half hour. Why?”
“Just wondering, have fun but not too much.” She said leaning over and kissing him on the lips. John threaded his fingers through her hair pulling her into a deeper kiss that had Evangeline sighing through it, “What was that?”
“I like the way you taste.” He said with a wink. “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!” he said hitting her on the butt as Evangeline stood up from him.

“Don’t wait up!” she said blowing him a quick kiss and rushing to the door, “Love you.”
“Love you!”

~

Evangeline walked into the Four Seasons waving at Andrea who sat on the couch bouncing her leg up and down waiting on her, “I’m so sorry.” She said rushing to her friend and hugging her tightly.
“Ah no problem, I’m guessing traffic is just as bad her as it is in L.A. So where are we of to tonight?” she said smiling.

Evangeline tucked her hair behind her ears and smiled as she twirled Andrea around. Her soft brown hair was in full curls she had on a pink spaghetti strap top with a white skirt and pink high heel sandals. Her pink and silver chandelier earrings banged against the side of her face. “Well, I thought we would go to the Village. Todd got me a few passes to the one of the hit new clubs down there. I know how much you like to shake your ass.” She said giggling.

Andrea smiled and nodded her head and reached to pick up her hand bag, “So where’s John tonight?” she asked slipping her arm into Evangeline’s as they walked out of the hotel lobby.
“He’s home.” She said softly. Waving over Jason and the car they walked quickly down the street, “What is this?” Andrea asked staring at Evangeline with the door open.
“A car service.” She said rolling her eyes, “I’m trying to be a McBain for Eve and Thomas’ sake.” She said laughing and sliding into the car.
“They want you to use a car service to prove you’re a McBain.”

Evangeline scooted over to allow Andrea into the car and watched as Jason closed the door. She gave him the directions and then sat back against the plush leather seats, “It’s really not my choice.”
“Sure it is, this isn’t you Van.” Andrea said looking around.
“I know this but they are so adamant that I use their things. I try to tell them that I’m happy taking a cab and what not but John and Eve both hate it.” She said shaking her head.

Andrea let her hands roam over the seating and grinned at Evangeline, “Yeah and I’m sure you hate to be chauffeured around!”
Evangeline laughed shaking her head and sunk into the seat and crossing her legs, “Oh this is the life!” She said laughing.
~

Walking into the hallway John threw the door open to the elevator and smiled as Brooke stepped into the apartment. She had on a pair of low rise jeans, a scoop neck purple short sleeve top and her hair was flowing around her shoulders.

John smiled and took a step back running his hands through his hair, “Hi…” he said bashfully.
She set her purse down on the counter top and smiled at him, “Where do we do this?” she asked looking up at him.

John ran his hand through is hair nervously and forced a smile, “This way.” He said leading her to the back of the apartment into his studio.
Brooke put her hands behind her back and walked slowly behind John admiring the paintings on the wall that lined the hallway, “Did you do these?”
John stopped and looked at the paintings in the hallway, “No…” he said smiling at her.

“Well they are amazing who did them.” She asked stopping and touching one of John and Evangeline together in Central Park. He walked up to stand next to her and touched Evangeline’s face, “She did.” He said grinning at her work.
“Oh, and she would be?”
“My girlfriend.” He said winking and turning to go into the studio.

Brooked forced a smile and nodded her head as she followed him down the hallway. “Where do I umm… sit…” she asked watching John move around the room to finish setting things up.
“Right over there near the window is fine.”
“Really?”
“Yeah I know what I’m doing… have a seat by the window okay?” She moved to the couch in front of the window and sat down pulling her knees to her chest and tucking her hair behind her ears.

John moved through the studio gathering everything he needed to get started. “So tell me about yourself.” He said coming over and pulling up a stool to sit in front of her.
“What are you doing?”
“Just getting a feel for who you are. I can’t really sketch someone if I don’t know who they are.” He said winking at her.
“I thought you were going to paint me.”

John set the sketch pad down next to him on the easel and scooted his stool closer, “There are a few steps that I go through before I can truly paint a person it’s a reason I don’t do it. I have to establish a connection between you and I.” he said motioning between them.
She nodded her head and pulled her knees from up under her, “So what do you want to know?”

“Whatever you want to tell me.” He said leaning back and grabbing his sketch pad.
“Well I’m from Connecticut born and raised. I have two brothers both younger.” She said smiling.
“That must be nice, what are their names?”
“Bruce and Brandon.” She said.
“Your parents have a thing with B’s?” he asked sketching her face.

“Yeah, don’t know why but they do.” She responded shrugging her shoulders.
“What else do you want to tell me?” he questioned looking back and forth between Brooke and the sketch.
“Whatever you want to know.”
“Okay why don’t you start with that scar on you’re shoulder how did you get it?”

Brooke shook her head and looked a scar she’d had since she was twelve. Touching it she looked back over at him, “How did you see that?”
“It’s part of my job to be observant.” He said softly as he continued to sketch her.
“I rather not talk about that. Anything else but that.”
“Okay, so why are you in New York?”
“Modeling actually as well as school.”
“Where do you go?”
“NYU, getting my degree in Education.”
“A teacher?”
“No administrator.” She said smiling.
“Principal?”
“No higher education, a dean.”
“That’s very big of you.”
“What do you mean?”
“Big dreams, those are big dreams.”
“I tend to dream big that’s what my daddy says all the time. Brooke get your head out of the clouds and back on land.”

“He doesn’t like you flying high so to speak?”
She shook her head and laughed softly, “He hates it actually. Wants me to go into business or something.”
“You don’t”
“Not his at least.”
“What does he do?”
“I don’t know.”
“Oh okay then….”

Brooke rose from her seat and walked over to John looking over his shoulder at the sketch her face close to his, “It’s amazing.” She mumbled.
John looked over at her and cleared his throat, “It’s okay.”
She took the sketch pad from him and ran her fingers over the charcoal drawing of herself.
John stood up watching her walk across the room and frowned, “I’m sorry I really don’t like others seeing my work before it’s complete.” He said taking it back.

“Sorry. So now what do we do?”
“Paint.” He said going to the back counter top and mixing the paint. Brooke nodded and took a seat on the couch. John heard her rustling behind him and he looked over his shoulder seeing her undressing. “What are you doing?” He asked shocked.

“Letting you paint me.”
John adverted his eyes and set the paint on the easel, “No, could you put your clothes back on.”
“Why? I’ve always wanted a nude done, at least a topless. I didn’t think you would mind.”
“I do!” he said with his back to her.
“This is what I want.”
“Its not what I do.” He said running his hand over his face and through his hair.

Brooke stood up and walked over to him, “It’s just a painting John.” She said softly against his ear. “I would think a professional like you could handle painting a semi nude.”
Taking a step away from her he shook his head, “This is not what I had planned.”
“Just go with the flow John… What’s the problem?”
“I have a girlfriend.”
“And you’re point?”
“Neither she nor I would want this.” He said walking away.

Brooke grabbed a nearby drop cloth and covered herself, “Look at it this way, she’s not here.” She said tugging at his arm and turning him around. “What she doesn’t know won’t hurt her.”
“I don’t lie to my girlfriend.” He snarled.
“It’s a painting, and you wouldn’t have a problem doing it if you weren’t attracted to me.”
“That’s not it, because I’m not.”
“Well then prove it. Paint me.” She said dropping the drop cloth and placing her hands on her hips, “It’s just a body, you’ve seen them before.”

She grabbed his hand and placed it on her neck dragging it across her collar bone. John tried to pull his hand back but she took a step forward and kept a tight grip on his wrist. “It’s just a body, I’m sure you’ve seen plenty in your days.”
“Stop it.” He said snatching his hand away.
“Paint me.” She said glaring at him. “I’ll go and you won’t ever see me again if you do!”

John blew out a deep breath and turned to look at her, “Sit!” he said pointing to the couch.
Brooke smiled and moved across the room to sit on the couch. She rested against the arm of the couch and pulled a blanket around her waist as her hair fell over her neck and tops of her breasts. He took a deep breath and blew it out, “I’m doing this under protest.” He said dipping his brush into the paint.
“That’s what’s going to make it amazing.”
~

“You okay?” Evangeline asked rubbing Andrea’s back.
“Fine…” she mumbled placing her head in her hands.

They had been at the club for a few hours listening to the live band that had the stage for the night. The music was slow and melodic but loud at the same time. Staring into the sea of people Evangeline grabbed her purse and then grabbed Andrea’s hand, “I don’t know what’s wrong with you but I’m taking you back to the hotel.”

Andrea waved her off, “I’m fine… really I’m fine…”
“You look like shit, how much did you have to drink?”
“Just like two long island iced teas, but I don’t know I guess I should have ate something.”
Evangeline laughed and held Andrea up with her other arm. “Yeah you should have, you should know this by now.”

Andrea laughed and smiled at her friend, “You don’t have to do this. I can take a cab back to the hotel.”
“And if something happened to you I would never forgive myself. Plus I wanna see John.”
“Ah that’s the real reason.” She said as they slid into the car.
“No, no… right now you’re my top priority.”
“Sure…” Andrea said holding her stomach, “Just tell Jason not to jostle the car would you.”
Evangeline laughed and nodded her head. “Careful Jason.” She said touching his shoulder.
“Of course ma’am.”

~

John threw down the paint brush and rolled his shoulders, “I’m sorry I can’t do this. It doesn’t feel right.” He said staring at her.
Grabbing the blanket she wrapped it around her chest, “Stay there.” She said disappearing down the hallway. John looked at her shirt lying on the floor and shook his head. How did he get himself in this situation. He should have just listened to his gut.

His stomach tightened into knot and he stood up stretching and rolling his neck in small circles. Brooke came back with a bottle of wine and some glasses. She set them on the counter top and poured a glass watching John stare out the window at the New York City skyline. Dropping the blanket she walked up to him pressing her breasts into his back, “Drink this…” she said holding the glass in front of him.

Frozen against the window and her chest pressed against him John shook his head and tried to move from in front of him. “I don’t drink.” He said moving from in front of her.
“Then why was the wine in the fridge?”
He looked at her with a half smile and closed his eye shaking his head, “I don’t drink.” He said again.
“Just a glass, it will help you loosen up some.” She said sipping her own glass.
“I don’t want to loosen up, I don’t even want to do this. This was Evangeline’s idea.” He snapped.

Brooke smiled and set her glass aside, “Well then what’s the problem? If she wanted you to paint me then she should have no problem with this.”
John laughed and rolled his eyes at her, “Really John it should be fine. I’m just another model, nothing more nothing less.”

John reached for the wine glass and took a seat on the couch, drinking it down he reached for the bottle to poor more. Brooked smiled and took a seat next to him holding the blanket over her chest, “It will help.” She said softly.

John looked over at her and scoffed, “Alcohol numbs the pain, nothing more nothing less.” He said staring at the back of the easel.
“How long have you been with her?” She questioned sipping her wine.
“Three amazing years.”
“Wow that’s a long time, why aren’t you guys married?”

John looked over at her and narrowed his eyes, “Why all the questions Brooke.”
“You made me answer your questions.”
“That was to get you to loosen up.” He said staring at her.

Brooked nodded down to the glass in his hand and smiled, “That’s to get you to loosen up.”
“I’m fine.” He said placing his glass on the window sill behind him.
“So can we start again?”
John nodded his head and looked over at her, “Go ahead…” he mumbled rising from the couch.

Brooke took the blanket from around her body and repositioned herself. “That’s not right.” John said shaking his head.
“This?” she asked shifting on the couch.
John set his brush down and walked over to her. Pushing her hair back in to place and helping her to repositioned herself he froze at the sound.
“John…” Evangeline said softly staring at them.

He removed his hands from her body and pushed up from the floor, “It’s not…”
She dropped her purse on the ground and stared at him and then over at Brooke, “Not what I think…” She said finishing his statement.

John walked up to her and tried to reach to touch her but she yanked backwards, “Don’t…” she said shaking her head, “Don’t…”
“I should…” Brooke said gathering her shirt and shoes and slipping it over her head.
Evangeline watched as she dressed and walked past them both quietly and quickly.

Evangeline looked after her and then back at John, “What were you doing?” she said softly.
“Evangeline let me explain okay?” he said taking her hand into his.
“Don’t… I said don’t…” she said pulling free of his hold. She backed away from him shaking her head, “I told you to paint her, not have sex with her.” She said glaring at him.

John closed in on her as she moved backwards down the hallway her bottom lip quivering, “That’s not what happened!” He said rushing her.
Evangeline hit the counter in the kitchen and John placed both hands on the counter blocking her from moving, “Don’t, I don’t want to hear it.” She said shaking her head, “Move.” She said pushing at his chest.
“No! We’re going to talk this out.”
“Move!” She hissed glaring at him.
“NO!” he yelled slamming his hands on the counter. “Nothing happened, nothing at all!”

“I believe you now just please move.”
John shook his head and raised his hand to touch her face. She turned from his touch and swallowed hard trying not to cry. John moved in closer placing his head against her face and neck, “I need you to really believe me.” He whispered.

Her hands by her side she squeezed her hands several times feeling his body press into hers, “It was nothing, she wanted me to paint her.”
“I know.” Evangeline whispered.
“I didn’t want to do the topless but she insisted.”
“You could have said no.”
“I did, I need you to believe I did.”
“It’s hard to believe that on what I walked in on John.”

He let out a soft sigh and wrapped his arm around her waist, keeping her hands to her sides she didn’t push him away but didn’t accept them embrace either, “You weren’t supposed to be home.”
“So that makes it better.” She said shaking her head.
He kissed her neck and drew small circles over her back, “No, I just didn’t want you to see that. I knew it would hurt.”
“So why!” she said hitting his chest. “Why would you do it!”

He sighed taking a step back and ran a hand through his hair, “I don’t know… I don’t know…”
Punching him in the arm she screamed over and over, “YOU DON”T KNOW!”
John took the punches knowing he was wrong and watched as she started to cry slow pain filled tears, “I’m telling you it was nothing okay. She came over we talked I sketched her!” he yelled back at her.
“Don’t you dare yell at me!” she snapped whipping her eyes and trying to move from him to elevator.

“I’m sorry don’t go. Please don’t go. We have to talk this out. Nothing happened okay.” He said pulling her to his chest.

Evangeline held her arms to her chest as his chest pressed into her back. He nestled his head into the crick of her neck, “Nothing happened okay. Okay!” he said again more forcefully.
“Okay…” she said softly.
“Really?”
“Let me go.”
“I’ll let you go if you promise to stay here.” He said holding her arms to her chest and squeezing his body against his. “I need you to stay.”

The tears fell slowly down both of their cheeks as he held her tightly, “I need you here.”
After five minutes of dead silence she finally spoke, “Okay…” she whispered.
“Okay?” he asked letting her go.
John took a step back and Evangeline turned around walking past him back into the apartment. He let out a soft sigh and followed her back into the apartment. What the hell had he done?

When he walked into the bedroom she had crawled into bed and was hugging her pillow. “Evangeline…”
“I’m staying, if you want me to stay don’t talk to me right now.” She said pulling the covers over her head.
John sat down on the bed next to her and pulled the covers from her, “I’m not going to bed angry.”
“Well then I guess you won’t be sleeping.” She said staring at the wall.

John leaned over and pushed the hair from her face and kissed her cheek, “I love you.”
“Do you?”
“Don’t say that.” He whispered as he stroked her leg and back.
“You wouldn’t do what you did if you loved me.”
“I do love you!” he said trying to hold back his anger and his regret for even letting it get to that point with Brooke.
“Whatever.”

Pushing her on to her back John crawled on top of her pinning her to the bed. “I want you to look me in the eye and tell me that you don’t see that I love you. What I did was a huge mistake but it in no way lessens what I feel for you.”
“Get off me!” she said pushing at his chest.
Blowing a sigh of frustration John climbed from off of her and fell next to her on the bed. She rolled over and closed her eyes trying to fight off the image she walked in on.
Black Saturday Pt. 1 by OLTLfantimes10
He felt her shift in the bed and turned his head to look at her still sleeping peacefully in their bed. Rolling on his side John let his hand hover over her face and then lowered it to push her hair away. He couldn’t sleep, no he wouldn’t sleep. He always made a promise to himself to never go to bed with her angry at him, so he didn’t sleep all night. He laid there all night staring at the ceiling trying to figure out the best way to repair the rift in their relationship.

Evangeline stared at the wall feeling his fingers graze against her face she held back the tears that threatened to spill from her eyes. She couldn’t sleep all night. She would drift in and out of it but she couldn’t sleep still mad, no not mad disappointed in him. With her back to him she pushed from the bed and moved slowly in to the bathroom closing the door softly.

John watched her go, let out a soft sigh and pushed up on his elbows running his fingers through his hair. Swinging his feet on to the floor John put his head in his hands trying to wake up or at least not fall asleep until they could talk and clear the air. Hearing the shower start to run he looked over his shoulder at the closed bathroom door and thought about going to her making her talk this out. The strife was causing his heart to ache.

Evangeline stood up under the water of the shower letting the water hit her back as she wiped her tears away and blew out a soft sigh. She showered slowly hoping that for now he would keep his distance. She was meeting Andrea for a trip into the city and then they were going to do some shopping before she headed back to California. Stepping out of the shower she wrapped a towel around her body and leaned to wipe the steam from the mirror. Staring at herself in the mirror she looked tired, sad…. heartbroken. She glanced at the closed door and put her hand to it gently.

John stood outside the bathroom door with his hand pressed against it and his forehead as well, “Evangeline…” he said through the closed door.
Startled she pulled her hand away that he was there, that damn connection, that damn closeness they had, “Yes…” she mumbled holding the towel close to her body.

“I’m making some coffee did you want some?”
“Sure.”
“Okay.”
She heard his soft footsteps walk away from the door and she sighed falling against the sink and shaking her hand through her hair. She turned and quickly brushed her teeth and then walked out of the bathroom to see John sitting on the bed holding his coffee in his hand, “Yours is over there, cream two sugars just the way you like it.” He said sipping it.
“Thanks.”

She picked up the mug and walked to the closet door to pull out her clothes for the day. John watched her silently not knowing what to say or when to say it. You would think after not sleeping and only thinking for eight hours that he could have come up with something by now. He watched her dress and she did so feeling his eyes on her body, wanting to just turn around and yell and scream at him so that they could then make up and move on from this.

She sat down at her vanity and applied her makeup watching him watching her in the mirror, “How long are we going to just sit around not saying anything?” he asked staring at her.
Evangeline lowered her head and turned around on the stool, “John I can’t do this right now with you.”
He moved to sit on the end of the bed and looked over at her, “Then when? How long are you going to punish me for this?”

She looked up at him with tears in her eyes, “That’s not what I’m doing…”
“It is Van, you may not think that but it is.” He said staring at her searching her eyes for what she was feeling what she was thinking.

Evangeline looked up at their vaulted ceilings to keep her tears from running down her eyes but it didn’t work. John saw a single tear roll own her cheeks and he moved to kneel in front of her. His thumb moved across her cheek wiping her tear away and she lowered her head to his touch, “Please don’t…” she said softly pushing his hand away.
“What I can’t touch you now?”
“You’re hands were on her.” She said turning her head from his penetrating stare.

John let out sigh as he pulled his hands away, “I’m sorry. I told you last night that I was sorry, tell me what I need to do to make this better.” He said pleading and placing his hands gently over hers.

Evangeline pulled her hands back and stood from the vanity causing John to jump up and grab her wrist to keep her from leaving, “Not now please… I have to meet Andrea and I really don’t want to go to her with red puffy eyes.”
“At least tell me that we can get through this.”
“I’m so disappointed in you John.” She whispered staring at the wall in front of her.

He loosened his grip and moved into her pulling her to his chest, “I know, I can feel it.” He said sliding his other hand along her arm.
She placed her hand over his to stop it from moving and he buried his face in her neck enjoying the feel of her skin, “Do you… I trusted you.”
“You still can, that trust isn’t lost.”
“It’s not lost but it’s broken. You shouldn’t have done what you did.”
“Babe please it was a mistake both you and I know this now but I can’t go back in time and stop it.”

She turned around to look him in the eyes, “It never should have happened in the first place. Did you know that, something like that would have hurt me if I saw the painting or as I did walk in on you two?”
“Yes.” He said with his head down.
“Yet you still did it, knowing how I felt you still did it. That’s the problem John. You took my feelings into consideration yet you still put her first.”

He looked up at her with an angry look on his face, “That’s not what I did!” he snapped.
“It is John.” She said in a calm tone.
“You told me to paint her!” he yelled.
“Don’t go there John please.” She said softly.
“You, You told me to paint her. I didn’t want to do it but you insisted.”

She nodded her head and forced a weak smile, “I did but I didn’t tell you to paint her semi-nude John and not take my feelings into consideration.”
“I’m sorry!” he said throwing his hands up in the air.
“I know you are. Trust me I know you are.” She said looking at him as he walked around the room.
John stopped and turned placing his hands on his hips, “If you know I am then why do you continue to punish me?”
“If that is what I’m doing then I’m sorry you feel that way. I’m trying to process all of this. I mean I tell my boyfriend to paint a woman so he can get experience in doing it but I don’t tell him to paint her nude!” she snapped. “Give me time John to get this all straight up here.” She said pointing to her head, “I know what I feel here…” she said gripping her chest, “But sometimes this and this don’t work together.” She said pointing to her head then her heart.

John looked at her and pushed his hand through his hair as he nodded his head, “How much time? I can’t sleep in the same bed next to you night after night not knowing what you’re going to do next. Are you going to leave?”
“Over this!” she said shocked.
“Yeah over this, are you going to leave me?”
“John no…” she said shaking her head.

He swallowed hard and stared at her grateful, “I wouldn’t leave over something like this John please.” She said walking closer to him.
He nodded his head and sat on the bed, “However much time you need I’ll give you.” He said looking down at the ground.
“Thank you, that’s all I need. I’ll be out with Andrea all day I’ll see you back here later okay?” she said looking down at him.
“Okay.”
“Okay.” She reached for a pony tail holder and pulled her hair up and then slipped on her flip flops before grabbing her purse and cell phone.

“Hey!” he called as she reached the door.
“Yeah?” she responded holding on to the door jam and not looking back at him.
“I love you.”
“I know.”
That wasn’t the response he wanted to hear. She closed the bedroom door and walked out of the apartment to meet Andrea. “I love you too.” She mumbled walking down the hallway.

~

John hurried into his apartment dropping canvases and paints on the floor and in the elevator as he heard the phone ringing. Picking up the phone slightly out of breath he hoped that it was Evangeline. She hadn’t called all morning or early afternoon and he was beginning to get worried, “Hello.” He said hopeful.
“Johnny!” the voice squealed on the other end.

“Yes who is this?” He said dropping his keys on the counter and going back to the elevator to get the things he dropped.
“It’s Maria silly.”
“Ahh Maria, how are you.”
“Magnificent hun. The sun is shinning and I don’t have a care in the world except making sure that my favorite artist is still in the mood to spend is evening with two old fuddy duddies like ourselves.”
“Dinner!” he said shaking his head and remembering that he was supposed to have dinner tonight with Maria and Fernando.

“Yes dinner silly did you forget?” she asked nodding at the waiter as he placed an espresso in front of her.
“I did, thanks for calling and reminding me.” He said sliding his keys back and forth across the countertop, “Where and when?”
“I was thinking the Rainbow room at nine?”
“Wow, you really don’t have to do this Maria.”
“Oh please Johnny, you know that I love doing things for you and Van. Please Fernando would settle for nothing but the best for you and her as well as himself. He’s such a snob.” She said laughing and rolling her eyes at him.

“Is he there with you?”
“He is. Did you want to speak with him?”
John sat on the couch and kicked his feet up, “No, no… just wondering his feelings about you calling him a snob that’s all.”
Maria let out a high pitched laugh and shook out her dark black looks as she batted her eyelashes at Fernando. “Oh he’s fine, he knows he’s a snob. He’s been one since his mami took the silver spoon out of his mouth.” She said chuckling.

“Well at least he realizes it. So the rainbow room at nine then?”
“Yes, and I’ve had my assistant send you and Van some things.”
“No, no… Don’t do that!” John said sitting up straight on the couch at her generosity. “I can’t have you buying us clothes as well.”
“They are on loan from one of the fashion designers that I’ve been working with over the past year. She’s trying to make it big in New York, she’s done the overseas stuff and now what’s to try her hand in America.”
“Well then okay.” John said with a smile, “I’ll see you guys later.”
“Yes adios!”

John threw the phone across the table and looked up at the mantel over the fireplace. He walked over to the picture she had given him on his birthday. He ran his fingers over her face and down her body and let out a soft sigh, “I screwed up big time didn’t I?” he said softly staring at her.
“Why didn’t I just listen to the knot in my stomach? Damnit baby I’m so sorry.”

~

“So I’m thinking of hanging out in New York for the summer. I found out that my class I was going to take over the summer was cancelled due to low enrollment so I said hell I’m having fun in New York with my best friend I might as well stay and hang out. Do the touristy thing. I think I’ve got enough money in my account to cover the expenses. What do you think Van?” Andrea said rambling.

Evangeline stared past her into the city as the people passed by. They sat outside a small café drinking iced tea and eating a small snack before they headed to Bloomingdales to get Todd something for his birthday. They had spent the morning looking for a dress for her to wear something funky and exciting to wow the crowd.

“Evangeline Williamson, Earth to Vangie!” she said waving her hand in front of Evangeline’s face.
“Yeah… what?”
“I was saying that I think I should stay here for the summer and asking what you thought, but you obviously were some place else. What’s going on with you?”
Evangeline forced as smiled and smoothed her hair in her pony tail, “I’m fine…” she said sipping her tea.
“You’re a really bad liar.” Andrea said laughing, “I mean a really bad liar.”
“Is it that obvious?”
“Let’s just say that after knowing you for close to four years now I think I can tell when you’re lying.” She said chuckling.

Nodding her head she forced a smile and fell back in the metal chair crossing her legs she pushed her tea away and blew out a heated breath. “Spill Van.” Andrea said doing the same thing as she did.
She looked out into the city and then back at Andrea, “Just when you think things are going so good and no one could screw it up bam!”
Andrea narrowed her eyes and shook her head not understanding, “I don’t get it.” She said softly.
“John.” She responded closing her eyes and scratching the top of her head.
“What about him?”

“You remember at the art show the girl in the green?”
“The one with the dark hair and the green dress, yeah what about her?”
“John painted her, did I tell you that?”
“No… why would you tell him to do that!” She snapped staring at her friend in shock.

Evangeline let out a self deprecating laugh and tried to hold back the tears in her eyes. “What!” Andrea said moving her chair to sit closer to her, “What did he do, or should I say what did that tramp do? I knew she was evil with them damn green eyes.”
Evangeline laughed and wiped at her eyes with a napkin from the table, “She got John to paint her semi nude.”
“What! How in the hell….”
“I don’t know I didn’t ask, but he did it and after I dropped you.”
“What did you walk in on Van?” She asked interrupting her story.

The waiter came over interrupting Evangeline before she could say anything, “Can I get you two anything else?”
“No…no we’re fine!” Andrea said waving her off. The waitress rolled her eyes and huffed as she walked away. Andrea looked up after her and rolled her eyes, “Damn New Yorkers…” She mumbled under her breath.
“Hey!” Evangeline said hitting her arm, “I’m one of those, watch what you say about us New Yorkers.” She said with a quick wink.
“She interrupted us and then got all huffy and shit… Damn never mind, what did you walk in on Van?”
“John…” she said shifting uncomfortably in her seat.
“What about him, could you stop with the stops and starts and just get on with it!” she said annoyed.

“I’m trying but someone keeps interrupting me jeez!” she said rolling her eyes. “What I’ve been trying to tell you for the past ten minutes is that I walked in and he had…” she swallowed and looked away as the images flashed in her mind over and over again. “He had his hands all over her. She was naked Andrea.”
“What! Completely naked!”
“No, yes, I mean no….” She said softly as she pulled Andrea’s arm trying to quiet her down, “She wasn’t completely naked I mean.”
“But she was semi naked?”
“Yes she had her top off and he had his hands on her…” she raised her hands to her chest holing them in front of her breasts and shaking them up and down, “He was touching her.”

Andrea fell back into he seat in disbelief, “I can’t believe this…” she said shaking her head, “What was his excuse?”
“He didn’t have an excuse I mean how could he I saw him with his hands all over her. She got up and left and he tried to explain.”
“Explain why he was feeling up some complete stranger in the apartment you two share none the less.”
“Yeah I guess…”
“Well I hope you didn’t by it! He disrespected your feelings in your house Van!”
“I stayed the night but it was weird.”
“You stayed the night.”
“He practically begged me to stay, I know he would never do anything with her.” She said twisting her ring around her finger, “He loves me too much to do anything.”

“Where is he? Now?”
“Home I guess.” She said shrugging her shoulders, “I left and haven’t talked to him sense.”
“You left him?”
“NO! Oh God no! I love him so much there isn’t anything he could do to make me walk.”
“Sleep with her.”
“He wouldn’t dare!” she snapped glaring at Andrea.

Andrea rolled her eyes and folded her arms over her chest, “If he’s willing to feel her up in your house what makes you thing he wouldn’t sleep with her. I know you love him and that he loves you.”
“That’s how I know!” She said glaring at her. “You see this…” She said holding up her ring, “This is how I know he wouldn’t cheat on me. I pushed him into painting her.”
“But you didn’t push him into painting her nude!” she said in a hushed tone.
“I know… I know…. I’m trying to process all of this. I know he loves me and just made a mistake of how he handled the situation.”
“Handled the situation! He felt her up damn it.”

Evangeline shot up from her seat, “Stop it okay! I know this, I was there I saw it all! Damn it. I’m trying to understand what he did and I don’t need you in my ear telling me something completely different.” She shouted grabbing her purse and storming off.

Andrea looked around embarrassed by her friends behavior, throwing money on the table she grabbed her own purse and rushed off after Evangeline. “Van wait.” She said grabbing her friends arm.
Evangeline stopped and turned around wiping at the tears on her face, “Honey I’m sorry.” She said hugging her. “I can see how much this hurt you and I just don’t want you to make a mistake with him.”
“He’s not a mistake. He cares about me and what I care about.” She said rubbing her friends back.
“I’m sorry…” Andrea said pulling out of the hug, “Can you forgive me please.”

They stood in the middle of New York on the sidewalk hugging as passer bys bumped and shoved them. Laughing at hearing someone yell move it . Rolling her eyes she linked her arm with Andrea’s, “Can we not talk about John for the rest of the afternoon. I have to deal with him tonight at Todd’s birthday dinner and I’m sure subsequent after party.”

Andrea strolled along side Evangeline trying to hide her smile, “Can I tell you something.”
“Of course.”
“Todd.” Andrea said smiling brightly
“Yeah what about him?”
“He asked me to stay and go to his birthday party tonight.”
“What!” Evangeline said shocked and pulling her against the side of a building, “You didn’t tell me this. When did this happen!”
“Before you came by this morning, he called about coming to the party. I told him I was leaving tonight.”
“And…” Evangeline said smiling brightly.
“And, he said he wanted me at the party and that he would fly me back to California in his dad’s jet.”
“So that’s the real reason you want to stay in town!” she said with mock shock and hitting Andrea’s arm.
“Maybe…”
“So you two really hit it off then?”
“Yeah I guess.” She said shrugging her shoulders, “I want to know more about him and I can’t very well do that if I’m on the other side of the country can I now?”
“I guess not.” Evangeline said.
“So I think I’m going to this party too. So we’ll help each other find something to get Mr. Manning.”

~

Evangeline walked into the apartment her arms loaded down with bags. She heard the music blaring from his studio and smiled, at least he was still painting. Walking into the bedroom she unloaded the bags on to the bed and slipped her flip flops off. She needed a nice bath to push away all the tension from the day and last night.

Sitting on the edge of the tub she turned the water on as she pulled her shirt throwing it on the floor. Unhooking her bra she hung it on the back of the door and then her pants as she watched the water rise filling the tub. Turning it off she pulled her hair up on top of her head and slid into the water letting out a deep sigh as the warm water soothed away her aches from last night.

John heard the elevator door open and then close and looked toward the hall waiting for her to walk in to him. When she didn’t he fell against the wall sliding down it putting his head in his hands. He just had to give her time, if he gave her time she would see he was truly sorry and do anything to make it up to her.

Pushing up from the floor he shook his head and grabbed his brush to work more on the abstract he had been working on all day. Something was off and he just couldn’t get the strokes right. Staring at the reds that ran up and down over the deep blues and frowned, it was awful.

John reached behind him picking up a can of green paint and splashed it across the painting letting the green paint hit the wall, couch, and window of his studio. The paint ran down the canvas on to the floor and onto his toes. Smearing his fingers through his work of art he left his mark as he watched the paints blend and smear with his feelings.

He stared at his “work” and rolled his eyes, it was shit. Pure and simple shit. Walking down the hallway to the kitchen he grabbed a bottle water and drank it down, he could hear her voice singing in their bedroom and smiled a half smile. He walked toward the sounds of her voice stopping to see all the bags spread across the bed. Bags from Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Sacks, and a few of her favorite little boutiques lined the bed and the floor in front of him. His girl sure loved to shop.

John turned to the bathroom door and saw her sitting in the tub her hands moving back and forth though the water as she sang her voice flooding his ears like a drug. How he missed his woman, he wanted nothing more than to go to her right now and scoop her up in his arms kissing her face over and over again telling her, showing her how much he loved her and knew he screwed up. Instead he left her at peace turning to leave the room.

~

Evangeline finally dressed and ready to go to Todd’s party stood in a mid thigh length go-go style dress. It was turquoise, white and green geometric shapes. The dress had a oval cut out above her collar bone that was surrounded by a silver metal hole. Her hair was down around her face blow dried completely straight and her large silver hoop earrings dangling against her neck. Her make was striking but didn’t detour from her natural beauty.

He grabbed her white clutch bag throwing it to the bed so she could load it up on the essentials and then went to find the pair of shoes she bought to go with the dress.
Slipping them on she buckled the strappy sandals and stood up smoothing the sides of her dress down and staring at herself in the mirror. She walked out into the living room looking for John and still heard the music playing. They were going to be late…

She walked down the hallway and blew out a deep breath as she stopped at the doorway watching him throwing paint over the huge canvas that rested against the far wall. “John.” She called to him.

He turned to her with a weary smile, his face and hair covered in green and blue and red paint. “Hey…” he said walking to the radio and turning it down, “You look….” He watched in amazement as she walked to him and spun around, “You like?”

“Yeah…but what’s the occasion? Is that what Maria sent over?”
Evangeline tilted her head to the side placing her hand on her hip, “Maria?” she said shaking it. “No. I bought this today with Andrea for Todd’s party.”
“What? That’s tonight!” John said shocked.
“Yeah John… did you forget?”
“Yeah I’m sorry.”
“It’s okay go shower I can wait. Wear something snazzy and cool.” She said smiling at him.

“I can’t go.”
“What?”
“I can’t go actually we can’t go…” he said motioning between them.
“What are you talking about, of course we’re going. It’s Todd!” she said walking up to him, “Go get ready I’ll wait.”
“No…no…. Maria and Fernando wanted to take us to dinner.”
“We have plans John. It’s been Todd’s birthday on this day for the past twenty two years.”
“I told Maria that we would have dinner with her and Fernando tonight.

She threw her purse on the near by table and rolled her eyes and neck, “We’re going to dinner with Todd end of story.”
“I’m sorry Van I can’t.”
“You can and you will.”
“No. I have dinner plans with Maria and Fernando, they want you there as well. She sent over clothes for us to wear.”
“John this is Todd we’re talking about here!” she said getting angrier. “This is our best friend.” She said motioning between them. “He would do anything for either of us.”

“Maria and Fernando are friends as well Evangeline ones that put you in that dress!” he snapped.
“You’re going to that party!”
“I can’t I’m sorry. I need you there tonight by my side. They are expecting you.”
“No…No…” she picked up her purse and tucked it under her arm, “I’m not going to stand around with you and fight about this. You either come or you don’t. Right now I don’t care.”

“Evangeline wait!” he said chasing after her.
“No, John. I should have known this would happen. I can depend on you for anything right now. I’m going to Todd’s party I’ll see you…”
He reached out and grabbed her arm pulling her back, “What has gotten into you.”
“You! And you’re utter lack of disrespect for me and our friends. You knew tonight was Todd’s birthday. It’s on the damn calendar John! Todd’s been planning this for weeks now. Not only are we celebrating his birthday but his being named Editor of the paper as well.”
“I’m sorry but Maria and Fernando are very important people to me, to us. They mean a lot and they care a lot about the both of us Van. I can’t just blow them off.”

“What and you can blow off your best friend for what half your life?”
“I’ll make it up to him. Send him something, hell he probably won’t even know I’m not there.”
“I will!” she snapped yanking her hand free from his hold, “This isn’t you John…” she said walking to the elevator.
“Evangeline wait! You’re not going to dinner?”
“Not with you!” she scoffed glaring at him, “I’m going to go celebrate with my friend his birthday and him becoming the Editor. If you know what’s good for you you’ll be there too!” she snipped slamming the elevator doors closed.

John stood watching her go, her face covered in disappointment and sadness. He slammed his fist on the counter top and shoved the fruit bowl across the room causing it to shatter into tiny pieces at his frustration. Why couldn’t she just go with him? Why Todd, why is it always Todd!

~

She sat across from Andrea and Todd laughing and joking with old and new friends from college. They had the back room of the Tavern at the Green rented out. The champagne was flowing and so was the food.

Looking over at Todd she smiled and pushed her hair back to make a toast. Taping her glass she got everyone’s attention and cleared her throat, “I’d like us all to raise our glasses to the most intelligent, witty, well spoken, and handsome man that we know.” She said with a wink, “A friend that would sacrifice his life for my own. I love you Todd Manning and you will forever be my friend.”
“Here, here!” they all yelled as Evangeline leaned in and clinked her glass with Todd’s and he rose to kiss her forehead, “Thank you Van.”

She ran her hand over his face and through his hair and kissed his forehead, “Thank you Todd.”
“Where’s your boyfriend. I was expecting him to be draped all over you tonight.”
Smiling she sat down pulling her dress down she lowered her head, “I….I…. John’s….”
“John’s not feeling well.” Andrea offered up.
“Ahh, you where my boy out huh?” Todd said laughing.
“Something like that…” she mumbled lowering her head.

“Lets not talk about him tonight. This is your night!” Andrea said kissing Todd on the cheek. Todd raised his eyebrows and Evangeline rolled her eyes and sat back sipping more of her champagne.

She looked up at the sound of clapping as the lights dimmed and a cake was brought around to sit in front of Todd. They all sang Happy Birthday to him and Todd took a deep breath blowing out the twenty two candles that lined his cake. The lights came back up and he reached for a knife to start cutting pieces. Evangeline looked down at her phone it hadn’t rang all night, that meant he wasn’t coming. She turned it off shoving it back into her purse to rejoin the party.

~

As soon as she left he regretted everything he said to her. He knew he should have gone with her but this dinner with Maria and Fernando was really important to him. He dressed in the suit that was sent over and walked into the restaurant smiling at Maria as she kissed both of his cheeks.

“Where’s Vangie?” she said smiling brightly.
“She wasn’t feeling well, told me to make her apologies for not being able to make it.”
Fernando came up shaking John’s hand and pouted not seeing Evangeline at John’s side, “I’m sorry she couldn’t join us. Dinner won’t be the same.”
“Yeah she was sad too.”
“Well let’s have a great night any way shall we!” Fernando said walking them back to the table.

He pulled out Maria’s chair as John took a seat across from them both. They ordered dinner and John drank tonic water with a lime as Fernando and Maria both indulged in champagne.

He laughed at their jokes about American’s and painters and he made jokes about Spaniards as well. Dinner seemed to fly by and he kept one eye on the door hoping that Evangeline would change her mind and show up. He kept his cell on but she didn’t call and when he went to the bathroom to call her it went straight to her voice mail. That meant her phone was off, she must be having a lot of fun without him.

As dinner ended John promised to get the suit dry cleaned and back to them as soon as possible. Maria kissed both of his cheeks and he shook Fernando’s hand as they stood outside the restaurant. He slid into a cab waving goodbye to Maria and Fernando glad the night was over.

As the driver pulled up to his apartment he looked at the building seeing a dark shadow resting against the doorway. He handed the money and a tip to the driver and stepped out onto the sidewalk. Walking up with the keys in his hand he frowned, “What are you doing here?”
“I come waving my white flag.” Brooke said waving a handkerchief.
“I’m sure you do. I don’t have time for you tonight.” He said disinterested in her.

Brooked nodded and slid the handkerchief back into her purse, “Listen I just want to apologize about yesterday. I never meant to cause you any problems with your girl.”
“I’m sure you didn’t but you did!” he snapped.
“Listen John I just wanted something that was unique and different from one of the youngest world renowned artists to date. I’m apologizing here.” She said holding up a bottle of wine and moving it back and forth in front of him.
“I don’t drink.”
“Just one, it’s from a private stash. One drink and I’ll leave you in peace.”
He looked at the open door and then back at Brooke, her eyes pleaded with him for understanding. He pushed open the door allowing her to enter and she smiled walking past him. “One drink.” He said following her into the elevator and closing the doors on them both. “One drink.” She said with a wink.
Black Saturday Pt. 2 by OLTLfantimes10
Todd stood outside with his arm around both Andrea and Evangeline as they gave directions to the after party. Evangeline leaned over and whispered to Andrea behind Todd’s back, “You two seem cozy.”
“We are…” she giggled like a little school girl, “He’s great Van.”
“He is isn’t he?” she said with a wink and leaning back up to kiss Todd on the cheek.

“What was that for?” Todd questioned looking at her with a curious smile.
“For being a friend, that’s it.” She said wiping her lipstick from his cheek.
“Well that is what I am Evangeline and don’t you forget it. Shall we go!” he said turning them around to get into the limo with the rest of the crowd. Both Andrea and Evangeline nodded as Todd held the door for them and they scooted all the way in joining in the laughter of the four other people piled into the car.

Todd climbed in and pushed the button to the sun roof. Standing up on the seat he stuck his head out and started screaming and yelling as he pounded the roof of the limo. The car pulled out into the Saturday night traffic and back to the hotel where the after party was going to be held.

Andrea laughed throwing her head back at Todd’s antics. She pulled at his pant leg causing him to come back into the car, “What’s up.” He said falling on her and laughing.
“You’re out of control tonight Manning.” She said pushing him off of her.
“Hey I’m allowed to be that way!” he said kissing her lips. “And you know it!” He said laughing.

Evangeline rolled her eyes and continued her conversation with Paulie the out going Editor of the paper, “Why him, why Manning?” Evangeline said nodding at Todd with a smile on her face.
“He may not always show it but Todd is an amazing reporter. He knows his rights as a reporter and can get anyone to talk. If he wasn’t a reporter he should have been a cop.” He said laughing. “Besides that he’s an amazing guy.”
Evangeline looked over at Todd laughing with Andrea under his arm and smiled, “He really is an amazing guy.”
“Plus he can write like I’ve never see. Man he can put words to paper and make you believe it truly believe it.” Paulie said shaking his head.

“I’ve read his work it’s quite impressive. I’m surprised he hasn’t been picked up by some news paper by now.”
“I think his dad has him on a short leash you know. Where’s John tonight. We were all expecting him.”
Evangeline cleared her throat and smiled, “He wasn’t feeling well. He told me to go out and hang with Todd on his birthday.”
“Well that’s interesting, letting his hot girlfriend out without him. He must trust you.”
She folded her arms over her chest and smiled at him, “Yeah he trusts me, just like I trust him.”

~

John followed Brooke into his apartment reluctantly. On the ride up he felt this was wrong, all wrong. What if Evangeline walked in and saw her there? He set his keys on the countertop next to her and smiled, “I’m really sorry about this to make you come all the way up here. But I think you should go.”
“But our drink!” she said holding up the bottle.

“I actually don’t drink Brooke. So if you don’t mind I think you should go.” He said holding his hand out and directing her back to the elevator.
“What about my painting.”
“I won’t be finishing it.” He said shaking his head.

Brooke put the wine down and frowned, “Well then can I at least get you to sign the canvas and the sketch so I can have them to remember you by?”
John looked down the hall to the studio and back at her, “Please, just that and I’ll go.” She said smiling.
John nodded his head and turned to go get the canvas and the sketch.

Brooke looked around the kitchen and smiled at the corkscrew sitting out. She uncorked the wine and poured them both a small glass. She heard John moving around in the back of the apartment and she walked around sipping the wine. Stopping at the picture on the mantel she read the poem slowly and rolled her eyes at it.

She continued to scan the room looking at all the pictures of them together, or them separately. She stared at the collage of pictures and paintings that Evangeline had done and given John for Christmas their first year and scoffed. This girl was obsessed. Turning at the sound of his shoes on the hardwood floor she smiled and sipped her wine, “Here…” he said holding up the painting and the sketch.

She walked over to him slowly and ran her free hand across the painting and smiled up at him, “They’re beautiful.” She said softly.
“They aren’t done.”
“Doesn’t mean that they aren’t great works of art.” She said winking at him, “Thank you John. These mean a lot to me.”

She reached out to take them her hand brushing against his, “You have your painting and sketch now if you don’t mind.” He said walking her back to the kitchen. He looked at the glass she poured for him and rolled his eyes. He went to the fridge and got a bottle of water and opened it placing it on the counter. “Do you have something I can put these in?” she said setting her glass on the counter.
“Ummm…yeah one second.” John dashed back into the studio near his bedroom just wanting to get rid of her.

He quickly scanned his back studio looking for a canvas bag. Finally finding one after a few minutes he came back out holding it up to her. “This should do it.”
“Thank you so much.” She said rising up and kissing his cheek as he put the pictures into the bag.
“It’s really no problem.” He said wiping his face and pushing the bag into her chest. “Now if you really don’t mind. I just want to do a little painting and head to bed.”

Brooke looked around and smiled, “Where’s Evangeline?”
“Out with a friend. Now…” He said ushering her to the elevator and pulling the door open for her.
“Thanks so much again for these.” She said holding them up to her chest.
“Our business is done now Brooke.”
She nodded her head as the door closed and she reached to push the button, “That’s what you think Johnny boy.” She said softly. “That’s what you think.”

John sighed glad she was gone before Evangeline got back and he was able to get through the few minutes they shared together again in his apartment, their apartment. He sighed and reached for his water drinking some as he walked down the hallway to his bedroom to change quickly. Coming back into the living room in nothing but a pair of sweat pants he walked down the hallway to his art studio.

He turned up the stereo on full blast and reached for a clean canvas. He wanted to create something for Todd to apologize. Drinking more of his water he put the bottle down and reached for a large brush and a can of dark yellow paint. He drew it across the canvas creating a deep texture with the paint brush. The music pumped through the studio and he reached for the rest of his water downing it and wiping his hand against his pants.

As he worked on the painting his vision blurred suggesting that he’d been working too long. Looking over at the clock it was nearly one and she still wasn’t home. John stumbled down the hallway to his bedroom leaving the music on in the art studio.

He fell into the bed and pulled a pillow over his head to drown out the sounds of the parties going on outside of his place.

~

“Here!” One of Todd’s friends said shoving Evangeline a drink from the punch bowl. She smiled and took it as she found a seat on the couch in the luxury suite Todd had rented out. Hell he had rented out the whole entire top floor of the hotel. The music pumped through the suites as people some she knew some she didn’t came and went and laughed their heads off.

She sipped the punch and smiled at the guy sitting next to her, “Shane.” He said sticking his hand out.
“Evangeline.” She said smiling at him.
“Ahh the infamous Evangeline.” He said smiling and shaking her hand politely.
“You know me?”
“Of you yes. Todd doesn’t stop talking about you.”
She looked over at her friend and smiled as a blush crept across her cheeks, “What does he say?”

Shane looked over at Todd and smiled as he scooted closer to her, “Just that you’re an amazing woman.”
“Really?”
“Yeah and that you’re beautiful.” He said running his finger down her arm gently, “Talented, intelligent.”
“Did he also say that I have a boy friend?” She said scooting away from him.
“No he didn’t. The way he talked it sounded like he had the hots for you.”

She shook her head and drank more of the punch, “You want more?” he asked taking her drink.
She smiled and let him go and get more for her. As Shane moved through the crowd Evangeline reached into her purse and pulled out her cell phone. Turning it back on she didn’t have any voice mail messages and bit the inside of her lip at his reluctance to call. She shoved it back in her purse and stuck her purse behind her resting against the couch as people came by and she waved at them.

“Here ya go.” He said handing her the drink and taking his seat next to her again.
“Thanks, how do you know Todd?”
Shane looked around and smiled, “Todd is my new editor. I work at the paper.”
“Never seen you there before.” She said drinking down her punch.
“Oh it’s because I’m a free lance photographer. Basically I cover whatever I want and they pay for the pictures. I don’t actually work for the paper.” He said winking at her.

“Wow that sounds cool.” She said nodding her head.
“Yeah it’s pretty cool, I enjoy it at least. Meet a lot of really cool people ya know.” He said drinking his beer.
“How’s that punch?”
“It’s good, thanks.”
“Good I made it, it’s my specialty. A Shane Stain.”
“Shane Stain?” she asked confused.
“Yeah you drink enough of it and you’ll make a huge stain on the ground.” He said laughing.
“Well then I guess I better stop.” She set the glass down and he reached to pick it up and hand it to her, “Oh don’t worry about it. It’s really only happened to one or two people who basically drank the whole bowl.”
“Oh okay.”

~

John felt the bed shift in his sleep and he smiled. Reaching for her he snuggled against her and felt her nails draw up and down his back, “I’m sorry baby.” He whispered.
“It’s okay.” She said playing with his hair and kissing the top of his head.
“No…” he whispered, “It’s not.”
“It is baby.” She said softly.
John nodded and kissed the inside of her neck and slid his hand up under her shirt gently rubbing her stomach.

~
Evangeline smiled at Shane as she listened to him ramble on and on about his work. The only problem was she could barely hear him. He sounded as if she was in a pool of water and someone was talking to her while she was under the water.

Smiling she set her cup down and looked over at him. She saw his lips moving but couldn’t really understand what he was saying. “Excuse me.” She thought she said as she pushed form the couch and stumbled to gain her bearings.

She gripped the arm of the couch to steady herself and scanned the room looking for Andrea or Todd. Shane’s drink really was strong. Feeling an arm around her waist she placed one of hers around the strong neck of the person and moved with the person. Her steps were slowly as she stumbled down the hallway into another room.

Smiling at the bed she was grateful to see it and reached for it falling down against it. She crawled up onto it kicking her shoes off and snuggling against the pillow. The light from the hallway disappeared as she heard the door close and sighed needing the sleep that hit her all of a sudden.

~

“Hey, Hey I’d like to make a toast!” Paulie yelled climbing up onto the coffee table and holding his plastic cup above his head.

Everyone stopped talking and turned to look at Paulie who they were sure was half drunk if not all the way drunk by now. “To Todd Manning! The future Editor and Chief of the Columbia Newspaper, good luck man You’re sooooo going to need it!” he said laughing and drinking the rest of his drink.

Todd shook his head and sipped his champagne with Andrea still on his arm, “Where’s Van?” he asked looking around.
She lowered her drink from her mouth and scanned the room, “I have no clue. Haven’t seen her since I saw her sitting over there talking to some guy.” She said nodding to the couch where Evangeline and Shane were last seen.

He pulled his arm from around her waist and stood up. Grabbing her hand he pulled her to him and then kissed her lips, “Help me find her. John would kill me if she ended up drunk some place.”
“He doesn’t drink does he?” She asked stumbling down the hallway with him.
“No, his mom’s a recovering alcoholic. He tries to avoid the shit at every cost.” They said opening doors and peering into them.
“Not there. “Andrea said laughing.
“Nope…” he said kissing her neck, “I’m sure she’s fine. Why don’t we find a place for ourselves.” He said slapping her on the ass.

“Manning!” she snapped hitting him on the arm.
“What!” he said faking like she really hurt him.
“I’m not sleeping with you I barely even know you.”
“Who said anything about sleeping together?”
“I know your reputation.” She said stopping outside the door.

“Ahh do you now…” he said laughing and pinning her up against he door. “What reputation would that be.” He said nuzzling her neck and rubbing her hip and side.
“The one that says you’re a womanizer.” She said softly moving against him. His head dipped lower on her collar bone as he placed kisses on it. “Did you hear something?” he said stopping and looking at her.

Andrea squinted trying to hear what Todd may have heard and shook her head, “I don’t hear anything.”
“It sounded like someone crying.”
Andrea strained to listen and shook her head, “Nooo… I don’t hear anything.” She whispered kissing Todd’s face and neck.

He pushed her away and leaned against the door. “There…there…” He pulled out the all access card key and opened the door. Staring into the dark room he saw some guy straddled over someone his shirt off. “Dude I’m sorry.” He said starting to close the door. His hand froze and Andrea looked at him confused, “Dude close the door!” he yelled.

Todd leaned into the room seeing shoes on the ground and frowned, “Get out!” He yelled again. Todd saw that his pants were pushed around his waist and the girls legs were spread open her dress pushed up around her waist. “What are you doing?”
“Trying to have sex with my girl. Now do you mind!” he snapped.

Todd turned to close the door when he heard her moan, “Shut up.” The guy hissed glaring down at her and putting his hand over her mouth. Todd swallowed hard as he took a few steps back and looked over at Andrea. “What’s wrong, what’s going on?” she said softly staring at Todd.

Todd looked over his shoulder seeing the girls legs kicking beneath him and he rushed into the room, “Get off her!” he snapped pushing at the kid. “Shane?”
“Dude, what’s your problem?”
“Sorry man, I thought…” Todd mumbled.

Andrea stood in the door way watching Todd and Shane interacting. She moved into the room and started screaming. Todd looked at her and then down at what she was pointing at and launched his body to Shane. “TODD STOP!” She screamed as Todd pummeled Shane relentlessly.

“TODD STOP!” she screamed trying to pull him off of Shane.
Andrea ran to the hotel room door and started screaming for help as she watched Todd punch and kick Shane repeatedly. “HELP!” She screamed again.

Two kids came running down the hallway hearing her screams and looked into the room seeing Todd standing over Shane kicking him over and over again in the stomach. “STOP HIM!” she snapped pushing at the guys.

They both rushed in grabbing Todd by the arms dragging him out of the room, “YOU FUCKING SON A BITCH. I’LL KILL YOU, I’LL KILL YOU IF YOU LAID ONE HAND ON HER!” He spat angrily.

“Get your fucking hands off me! Call a damn ambulance now!” he said pushing the two guys away. Andrea pulled out her cell phone and dialed 911 and walked back into the room kneeling next to the bed.

“Evangeline…” Todd whispered stroking her face gently. “Please hun, wake up.” He said softly as he stroked her face.
“Yes I’m at the Parkview hotel we need an ambulance right away. There’s a girl here and I think she’s been… Todd what’s wrong with her.”
“I DON’T KNOW!” he yelled at her. He stood up and snatched the phone from Andrea’s hand.

“It doesn’t matter what the hell is wrong with her, just get a damn ambulance here now!” He snapped slamming the phone shut and pushing it into Andrea’s chest. He turned back to Evangeline and scooped her up into his arms.

Her body was listless and she was non responsive. Andrea followed Todd out of the hotel room right on his heels. She pushed the button the elevator as Todd jostled Evangeline in his arms trying to get her to wake up, “No… no…stop… please…” She said pushing at the air.

Todd’s rage boiled inside of him and he looked over at Andrea who had tears streaming down her face. “Is she okay?”
“I don’t know.” He said softly looking down at her. Andrea moved in closer taking her hand into hers and kissed it softly, “John….” She moaned softly and rolled against Todd’s chest.

The pain in her voice brought pain to both of their ears as the elevator doors opened and then closed. Andrea wiped at her eyes as Todd held her in his arms close to his chest, “I’ve got you hun, I’ve got you.” He whispered in her ear.

The doors opened and Todd ran out of them straight into the ambulance, “What’s going on?”
Todd set her on the gurney and shook his head, “I don’t know…just please help her.” He said desperately. They nodded and pushed her back out to the ambulance waiting in the circle of the hotel’s front door. Pushing her in Evangeline’s hand fell off the gurney and hung swinging in the mid June air. Todd grabbed Andrea’s hand and rushed to the ambulance, “Go with her.” She said pushing him.

The EMT’s looked at him and nodded as they loaded her into the back of the ambulance. “Where are you taking her?”
“St. John’s.” They said loading her all the way into the ambulance.
“Get a cab and meet me there. See if you can get a hold of John and tell him where to meet us but don’t tell him what happened okay!” he said rushing into the ambulance with Evangeline.
“Okay, okay… please Todd keep her safe.”
He nodded as the doors closed on her sealing them both in. The ambulance pulled away and Andrea looked around at the crowd around her. She wiped her face and walked over to the doorman to get a taxi. Sliding in she told them where to take her and the car sped away.

~

Todd bounced his knees up and down as Andrea sat next to him rubbing his back, “You did good Todd. I think you stopped it.” She said softly.
He looked up at her and shook his head, “It should have never happened in the first place.” He said fighting back his tears. “Did you get a hold of John?”

Andrea looked down at her cell phone in her hand, she had tried all the way there both numbers and he didn’t answer. “No…” she said softly staring at the ground.

Todd jumped up and slamming his hand against the wall and cursing under his breath, “Where the fuck is he! Where the fuck is he when she needs him the most!” he yelled causing Andrea to flinch at his temper.
“I’ll try him again.”
“Don’t bother. I’m going there.” He said staring at her, “Call me as soon as you know anything.”
“They won’t tell me anything I’m not family.”
“Get as much as you can Andrea, and if they let you in stay with her until I can bring his sorry ass back here.”
She nodded her head and watched as Todd stormed out of the hospital.

He hailed a taxi and gave him John’s address. Sitting back trying to quell his rage, disappointment, disgust at the situation he closed his eyes but all he could see was her face, her body lying on the bed. Her dress was pushed up around her hips, her panties down around her thighs and the top of her dress half hanging off. He choked back the bile that stung his throat and rolled the window down to get some fresh air.

Sticking his head out the window he took in slow deep breaths trying to push away the images that flooded his mind. The car crossed the bridge and he sighed knowing they were getting closer to John’s place. John would freak when he found out, most likely taking it out on Todd. “I was supposed to keep her safe.” He mumbled to himself.

Leaning back he pushed his hair out of his face and wiped at his eyes as the tears ran down his cheeks. The taxi pulled up to the apartment and Todd threw him some money telling him to wait until he came back. The cabbie agreed as Todd got out and pulled his spare key from the key ring.

Pushing open the door he took the steps instead of the elevator up to their apartment. He walked in hearing the music blaring from his studio and walked there ready to cuss the asshole out for not being there or answering his phone. The studio was empty and he turned to go back down the hallway to John’s bedroom.

He looked behind him seeing a wine bottle un corked and it half empty and two glasses one with lipstick on it. Shaking his head he walked slowly down the hallway tripping over clothes on the floor. Bending down he picked up a bra and frowned as he rushed into the bedroom.

He froze seeing John wrapped in that girl’s arm from the art showing. The one that Andrea said he painted semi-nude and Evangeline walked in on. Walking over to the bed he pulled the covers off the both of them waking Brooke in a hurry. “What the hell!” she snapped covering her naked body. “Get the fuck up!” Todd snapped grabbing her by the arm.

“Who are you?” she said struggling with him.
“Get out of the god damn bed right now you little bitch!” he yelled. Brooke stumbled around gathering her clothes up from the floor.
“Let me go!” Brooke said struggling with Todd as he dragged her naked down the hallway and shoved her into the elevator with her clothes, “Get the fuck out and stay out!” he snapped slamming the elevator doors shut.

Todd ran back into the bedroom and pushed the mattress over causing John to fall to the floor with a big thud. “What the…” he mumbled rubbing his eyes.
“Get the FUCK off the floor you lying sack of SHIT!” Todd yelled walking around the bed to John who was on the floor in his boxer shorts.
“Manning, what the hell are you doing here?” he asked looking up at him his head pounding.

Todd balled his fist and struck John across the face in one blow. He jumped on John and hit him over and over again in the face and gut. John took each blow not able to register what was going on. He felt a gut punch and it all started to come back to him. Rolling over he pinned Todd down to the ground and stood up from the floor. “What the fuck is you’re problem!” he yelled grabbing a pair a of sweat pants.

Todd got of the floor quickly and jumped on John’s back bring him to the ground, “My problem!” he yelled as John turned over and took more punches, “My problem is you lying bastard!” he screamed as John held up his hands defending himself.

Pushing Todd off of him John scurried away and rose to his feet, “Calm down!”
“Calm down, you’re girlfriend is in the fucking hospital and you’re in here fucking some girl in the bed you share with her!” he snapped.

John stood against he wall rubbing his face and stomach as he looked over at Todd, “What?”
“Oh you heard me you fucking asshole! You’re in here fucking some girl while Evangeline is in the hospital.”
“What…no…what’s wrong with Evangeline!” he said rushing Todd and pulling him up by the collar of his shirt.
“You heard me. She’s in the damn hospital.”
“No…” he mumbled dropping Todd, “What…what…happened?” he said swallowing and trying to keep from puking on the floor.

“Put your damn clothes on.” Todd said watching John as he went into shock.
John looked up at him with heat in his eyes, “No!” he snapped rushing Todd and pinning him against the wall of their bedroom, “You tell me right now what happened to her!” he yelled jamming his forearm in Todd’s throat, “What happened to her!” he snapped.

Todd pulled at John’s arm struggling to breath, “Come…” he coughed out as John let him go. “With me.” He said glaring at him as he caught his breath. John nodded his head and pulled a shirt from the small chair in their bedroom. He grabbed his shoes and followed Todd out of the apartment.

Looking through his apartment as they walked ever speck of it was her, all the way down to the napkins they used. John closed his eyes fighting off the feeling that he had lost her again. He would know though, he would know if she was really gone. He followed Todd into the taxi that was waiting for them and they both sat quietly all the way to the hospital.

As Todd and John walked into the emergency room Andrea raced into John’s arms hugging him tightly, “John I’m so scared. They won’t tell me anything.” She said crying against his shoulder.

John hugged her back rubbing her back softly as he tried to calm her down, “Who’s her doctor?” He asked softly still trying to process everything. Andrea let go of the hug and turned around and looked down the hallway pointing to the elderly gentleman with glasses and salt and pepper hair. “Did you call her mom?” He asked walking down the hallway with Andrea on his arm.

“No, I don’t have the number.” She said softly as she ran her hand up and down John’s arm.
“Todd please.” He said looking back at him. Todd nodded and pulled out his cell phone, “Go with Todd Andrea, I’ll see what I can find out okay?” He said stopping before they reached the doctor and kissed her on the forehead. She nodded and followed Todd to an area where they could use cell phones.

John walked up to the doctor nervously and ran his hands through his hair, “Excuse me… excuse me…” he mumbled getting the doctors attention.
“Yes son what can I do for you?”
“Evangeline…Evangeline….. Williamson,” he stammered afraid of what the doctor would say.
“Are you family?”
“She’s my wife.” He lied.
“Come with me son.” He said placing his hand on John’s back and walking him down the hall to Evangeline’s room.

The doctor pushed open the door and John walked in behind him wringing his hands and looking at the ground, “What happened?”
“She was almost raped.” He said softly watching John’s reaction.
John stumbled catching himself on the edge of the counter as his knees went weak, “Almost son… you’re friend stopped the attack.” The doctor said helping John up. “We gave her something to help her sleep while we did a rape exam. We also did some blood work because she was non responsive.”

John looked over at him, “I thought you said she wasn’t…” he mumbled not being able to say the words.
The doctor shook his head, “She wasn’t but we had to be sure. She has some bruising around her neck and some scratches on her palms, and forearms. It looks like she tried to defend herself against her attacker. We should have her blood work back soon. Is she on any medication right now?”
John shook his head ‘no’ as he walked closer to her. She was lying on the gurney so small and delicate. She was curled into the fetal position and he reached out to touch her back. “You can stay with her son. The police should be here any time to take a statement and get the rape examination.”
“Okay…” He said mumbling softly as he touched her gently.

“You can stay as long as you need to at least until the police get here, son.” The doctor said softly staring at them both.
John looked over his shoulder and nodded, “John.”
“Okay John. I’ll be back to check on you two later okay.”
“Thank you.” He said with his back to the doctor. John crawled up into the bed with her wrapping his arms around her body holding her close, “I’m here baby, I’m here.” He said softly as tears rolled down his cheeks, “I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry, this is all my fault.” He said stroking her arm and face.
Aftermath by OLTLfantimes10
Snuggling up against her John let out a soft sigh as he waited for any word on her condition. She was so still, so quiet that it was scary, normally when she slept she was all over the bed, he would wake up with her arm draped across his face and her knee in his stomach.

Laughing softly he looked out the window of her room it was pitch black outside this day was not what he had intended on. “Maria says hi and she was sorry you couldn’t join us for dinner.” He said softly.

“God, why didn’t I just go with you? If I would have this never would have happened, if I would have we wouldn’t be in this position that we are right now.” John rolled over so he was staring at the ceiling and held back tears that stung the corners of his eyes.

Turning his head he looked at her sleeping so peacefully hoping that she would have no memory of this or at the least if she did she wouldn’t push him away to help her through this. “I’m making this promise to you.” He said tenderly staring down at her, “I will do anything to make you believe in me again, believe in us. Whatever you want, whatever you need I will be there. Nothing, nobody is going to come between you and I and what we have.”

Letting out a soft sigh he kissed her forehead and Evangeline moaned gently turning over to face him. Her neck exposed he saw the hand prints around her neck and felt his stomach tighten in tight knots, that sick son of a bitch touched her. Running his fingers over the marks he kissed her cheek rubbing his face against hers, missing the feeling of her in his arms.

He heard the door open and turned to smile at the nurse as she smiled back at him, “How is she doing?”
“I’m about to find out, she’s one lucky girl.” The nurse said smiling and walking to the other side of the bed. John stood up to allow the nurse to work and rested against a set of cabinets, “What are you doing?” he asked rubbing his hand over his jaw.

The nurse set Evangeline’s arm down and smiled at John, “I know this is hard and that you are probably scared but she’s doing okay physically, I’m just taking her vital signs to make sure whatever she was slipped isn’t giving her an adverse reaction.”

“You think she was drugged?” John asked.
“That’s what the doctor thinks, they are running tests right now to figure out what exactly it was. How are you doing?” She asked pointing to John’s lip and his eye.

John stuck his tongue out tasting the salty blood on the corner of his lip, “I’m fine.”
“You don’t look fine.”
“Really I’m okay, nothing I can’t handle.” He said softly.
“Well let me know if you need anything. We’re going to move her to a private room soon okay?”
“Thanks, I think she’d like that.”
“No problem Mr. Williamson.”

John smiled and nodded, “It’s McBain.” He said laughing softly. The nurse walked past him laughing herself, “Sorry.”
“It’s okay.” He watched her go and then turned back to Evangeline. “Hey you.” He said walking over to the bed and stroking her face. “Did you hear that? They called me Mr. Williamson, funny huh. You would have cracked up at that. I can just see it now, you joking with me about that calling me Mr. Williamson.” He said rolling his eyes.

John sat on the edge of the bed and looked down at her, “God I’m so sorry baby,” He mumbled shaking his head, “I barely remember what happened after I got home. All I can remember is Todd beating the crap out of me. I can barely remember how I got to the hospital.” He said rubbing his face and looking over at her, “What happened tonight Van, what the hell happened.” He said exasperated and scared all at the same time.

~

“Did you get a hold of Lisa?” Andrea asked touching Todd’s back. Todd looked over his shoulder and frowned, “She’s out of town, both Charles and Lisa are.”
“Layla?” Andrea questioned.

Todd took a deep breath and smiled at her, “She’s in Florida visiting her grandmother.”
“I thought she was coming up to New York.”
“She’ll be here at the end of next month. Shit!” He snapped punching the wall in front of him.

Andrea jumped at his display of emotion and touched his back, “I should have been there! I should have stopped him.” He snapped punching the wall again.
She walked up putting her arm around his shoulder holding him, “You were there Todd, you did stop him.”
“No…god, no… Did you see her on that bed, she was so, god she was so…” He said softly as tears started to run down his cheeks.

Todd turned and pulled Andrea into his arms, “This is my fault.”
“No!” she said stroking his back, “It’s not, it’s that sick bastards fault.”
Todd pulled back and slid down the wall putting his head in his hands, “Why did this happen?”
“It’s not your fault Todd, and please don’t think that okay?” she asked running her fingers through his hair.

Todd looked up at her and shook his head, “If I would have.”
“What! If you would have kept your eye on her, kept her attached to your hip what?”
“No, damn it! He’s going to pay.”
“That’s right he is, he’s going to pay for hurting our girl.” Andrea said staring down at him.

Todd pushed himself up off the floor and smiled at her. He tugged at the bottom of her hair and kissed her forehead, “I need to see her, make sure she’s okay.”
Andrea nodded, “I’m sure she’s okay.”
“Not with John there.”
She frowned at her statement, “What is that for? Why do you say that?”

Todd ignored her statement and walked over to the nurse’s station. “Excuse me.” He asked trying to get the nurses attention.
“Yes sir what can I help you with?”
“Evangeline Williamson…”
“Yes what about her?”
“How is she, is she okay.”
“She’s fine sir but that’s all I can give out at the time.”
“I brought her in here.”
“I understand that sir, but I can’t give out any information on her unless you’re a member of her immediate family.”
“Thank you.”

Todd turned around as the Emergency room doors opened. His fists and jaw tightened as he saw Shane Cassidy walking into the police station handcuffed with two officers following him.
“You fucking bastard!” Todd yelled rushing Shane. The cops stopped him pushing Todd back against the wall, “You fucking did this to her! I”ll kill you do you hear me Cassidy, so help you Shane.” He yelled trying to fight off Officer Clinton that held him against the wall.

“Get him out here!” Officer Clinton said to Officer Flannery as he held Todd against the wall.
“You sick son of a bitch!” Todd snapped pushing at the cop.
“Calm down son. We’ll handle him.” He said staring Todd in the eye.

Todd looked at Clinton and saw the same rage and anger in his face that Todd had in his own. Todd ran his hand through his hair, “He touched her.” He said through a clenched jaw.
“I know what he did okay. I’m on your side.” Clinton let Todd go and nodded his head and went to find Shane and Officer Flannery.

John came walking out of Evangeline’s room in time to see Shane being walked past him in hand cuffs and an officer following him. He looked over to see Todd being shoved up against the wall ranting and raving at the guy that walked past him. He caught Shane’s eyes and glared at him as he walked down to another emergency room cubicle.

Todd turned and caught John’s eyes and pointed to Shane causing John to turn around and rush him, “You did this to her!” He screamed knocking over the officer that was with Shane, “You fucking touched my girl! I’ll kill you, you sack of shit!” He snapped pinning Shane to the wall and forcing his forearm into Shane’s throat.

“You messed with the wrong family.” He hissed spitting all over Shane’s face. “You fuckin messed with the wrong man!” He snapped before being pulled off of Shane. The officer pinned John up against the other hall as Officer Clinton came sprinting down the hallway, “Get him in the other room now!” Officer Flannery snapped.

John pushed at Officer Flannery catching Shane’s eyes as he shot him a wink. John grunted and snarled at Shane as he tried to push to get to him again. Officer Flannery pushed John hard against the wall again and got in his face, “Calm it down now before I have to put the handcuffs on you as well son.” He said heated.

John turned his glare to the officer, “He tried to rape her.”
“Possibly.”
“What! Not possibly, he did!”
“Where you there?”
“NO, but I know he did.” John yelled.
“You don’t know shit son. Let us do our job and you do yours.” He said pushing him once more before going into the hospital room.

John turned and looked at Todd and snarled, “You! You did this!” He snapped rushing Todd and jamming him against the wall. “You were supposed to protect her. You were supposed to be there for her.” He said punching Todd in the stomach.

“You should have stopped this from happening! Now she’s in there drugged up and scared. You fucking screwed up!” He screamed at Todd.
Todd looked up at him coughing and his face bright red, “Me?”
“You heard me Manning. She was with you she trusted you to protect her keep her safe!” He yelled punching Todd across the face. “She loves you man and this is how you show that you love her! You aren’t there for her, you’re out doing god knows what!”

“JOHN!” Andrea snapped coming up to them.
“WHAT!” He screamed at her.
“Don’t you dare yell at me. Todd was there, he stopped that sick bastard from hurting her.”
He saw the tears in her eyes and softened his tone, “I know.”
“Then stop blaming him and look at who really did this to her.” Andrea snapped pointing down the hall to where Shane’s room was.

Todd looked up at him rubbing his face and holding his stomach, “She’s right John, if we should be blaming anyone it’s Shane.”
“I blame you!” He snapped.
“Shit and I blame you!” Todd snapped, “If you were there.”
“If you were there!”

“STOP IT!”
John, Andrea and Todd all turned to look at Thomas McBain walking into the hospital with a scowl on his face, “What the hell is going on here!” he seethed at all three of them.
“Dad? What are you doing here, who called you?”
“I did.” Andrea said staring at him with her arms folded over her chest, “Evangeline needs everyone here who cares about her and loves here including your parents John.” She said shaking her head at him.

“What the hell happened?” Thomas asked again.
“Someone….”John mumbled not able to get the words out.
“Someone attacked her.” Todd said softly looking down at the ground.

“What!” Eve asked coming in from outside. “Where is she, I want to see her now!” she demanded.
“Down the hall mom, but she’s asleep and they are moving her to another room.”
Eve waved John and the rest off and walked down toward Evangeline’s room. Her heels clicked on the tile floor, her hair flying past her.

“John can you tell me what is going on here?”
“No… it’s too hard dad.”
“Todd? Andrea?”
“We were out at my birthday party sir.”
“And!” Thomas said rushing Todd.
“I don’t know I went looking for her and found her with this asshole on top of her trying to umm…” he swallowed as he looked past Thomas and to the nurses station.

“Stop right there, I don’t need to hear any more.” Thomas said shaking his head sadly, “What are they doing to her in there?” He asked looking to where Eve walked.
“Nothing, they gave her a seditative and took some blood to figure out what he gave her.” John offered up.
“Who is he?”
“Shane Cassidy.” Todd said staring down the hall to where Shane was taken. “He’s a…”
Thomas held up his hand cutting Todd off. He walked away and pulled out his cell phone.

“The Lieutenant in charge please.” He said pacing the hospital floor. Thomas looked over at Todd, John and Andrea with a sad expression on his face, he ran his hand through his hair exasperated and waited impatiently for the Lieutenant to come onto the line. “Lieutenant Cragen.” He said.

“Thomas McBain here Don.”
“Ahh Thomas what can I do you for, why are you calling so late?”
“I have a situation.”
“Who’s in trouble? And what can I do. Wait why aren’t you calling Anita on this?”
Thomas turned from his son and walked outside. He took a deep breath and blew it out slowly, “It’s my future daughter in law.”
“What happened?”
“She was at Manning’s party.”
“Victor’s?”
“No Todd’s it’s his birthday or at least it was. Someone spiked her drink and then attempted to rape her.”
“Oh God Thomas, how is John?”

Thomas looked into the window to see John pacing back and forth and Todd resting against the wall with his eyes closed, “Devastated needless to say, but no one does this to my family.”
“I understand what can I help you with?”
“I need your best detectives on this, this happened downtown at the Parkview.”
“That’s not my precinct. I can’t interfere in that.”
“I’ll handle whoever’s precinct it falls under I want you to handle this and get your best detectives down here now to question my daughter and the suspect.”
“Is the guy that did this there?”
“I think so, I’m not totally sure but from the look of Manning’s hands and face he got a few good punches in.”

Don nodded his head and waved to his best detectives to come into his office, “I need you two to get down to, where are you Tom”
“St. John’s.”
“I need you two at St. John’s now.” He directed and snapped his fingers at them. They both nodded and dashed out of the Police Station. “They are on their way.” Don said sitting down in his seat, “What happened Thomas?”
“I honestly don’t know. I just got here at the hospital they have her in another room only John’s seen her.”
“Well I have my two best detectives on the way, I’ll call Roberts to let him know.”

Thomas shook his head, “No let me handle Roberts we have a great relationship, he’ll call off his boys that are here.”
“Are you sure Tom?”
“Yeah, I can handle it trust me.” Thomas said walking back into the hospital, “Thanks for doing this.”
“Anything for you Thomas, give Eve my best. Tell John that I have my guys on the case and the ass that did this will pay.”
“Thanks.” Thomas snapped his phone shut and looked up to see John walking away.

“Where is he going!” Thomas questioned walking back into the hospital.
“He said he needed air.” Andrea said looking over at him.
Thomas nodded his head and looked over at Todd, “Where were you when this happened?”
Todd looked away, “I’m not having this conversation with you.” He said rolling his eyes and grabbing Andrea’s hand, “I’m sick of defending my actions to you and your family”
Todd walked out of the hospital with Andrea following behind gnawing at her bottom lip.

~

John looked around the corner to where the police officers had taken Shane. He stopped at the door and watched as Officer Flannery flirted with a nurse down the hall. He peered into the room and saw Shane alone sitting on the bed staring at the ceiling.

Swallowing hard John pushed the door open so hard it swung hitting the wall hard stunning Shane, “What are you doing here man.”
John turned and pinned a chair up against the door and then smirked at Shane, “We need to have a little talk.” He said slowly walking up to Shane.

Shane tried to move put the handcuffs were keeping him pinned to the bed, “Get out man! I didn’t do anything!”
“And that’s why you’re handcuffed to the bed?” John questioned walking around the bed eyeing Shane up and down.

He fought with the handcuffs and turned to look out the window, “Hey! Hey!” He yelled trying to get the cop’s attention. John rushed to him forcing him to bed and putting his hands around Shane’s throat, “Shut up, just shut the fuck up!”
Shane looked at him with pleading eyes, “How’s it feel? Huh how’s it feel?”
Shane shook his head quickly not understanding, “What you don’t like having someone’s hands around your throat cutting off your air supply? Does that bother you!”

Shane clawed at John’s hand with his free hand, “Is this uncomfortable? Now you know how she felt!” He snapped pushing him hard into the bed and releasing his grip on his neck. Shane rolled to his side coughing and looking at John who was red in the face. “You’ll….” He coughed.
“I’ll what? What do you think you could do to me?”
“I’ll destroy you.” Shane said.

John looked at with a confused face, “Do you know who I am?” John said pointing to himself, “Honestly do you know who I am!”
“It doesn’t matter I have the press on my side.” Shane snapped, “And how they would love to hear this story. Man accused of some trumped up charge and the police are so lackadaisical that they don’t even realize that their suspect is getting man handled by someone else.”
John stared at him in disbelief, “You honestly have no fucking clue who you’re dealing with do you?”
“I don’t care!”

John looked over as the door was busted down and his dad came through in a rush, “What are you doing in here!” He yelled at John.

~

Eve smiled politely at the nurse as they got Evangeline situated in her room. She walked over to the bed smoothing down her hair and pulled the covers up, “I know I’m not your mom but I consider you my daughter.” She whispered holding Evangeline’s hands.

Evangeline stirred pulling her hands back and Eve watched as her eyes fluttered open, “Sweetie…” She cooed caressing her face.
Evangeline looked around the room and her face scrunched up as she tried to register what happened.

Slowly sitting up in the bed her head pounding her hands went straight to them, “Eve?” she said softly looking at her with her eyes half opened.
“Yeah sweetie, I’m here.”
“Where….where… am I?” she moaned sitting up further and shutting her eyes to the pain that ripped through her head.

Eve sat on the bed and smiled softly at her, “It’s okay sweetie I’m here.”
“What’s going on.” She asked looking over at her as she fell back against the bed.
“You don’t remember?”
“Where am I, what’s going on…”
“You don’t remember what’s happened?”
“No.”
“What’s the last thing you remember hun.” Eve asked holding her hands.

Evangeline looked at Eve confused and pulled her hands back. She moved in the bed and felt like her insides had been ripped apart. “Oh God what happened?” she asked moving the sheet and looking down.
“Let me get the doctor.” Eve rose to go to the door.
“Please wait! Where am I can you please tell me that?”
Eve walked back over to the bed and leaned over and hugged her gently, “Let me go get the doctor okay.”
Evangeline held her tightly, “Please what’s going on?”
Stroking her face and hair Eve kissed her forehead, “You’re in the hospital. St. John’s. Let me go find your doctor okay?”

Evangeline swallowed hard and nodded as Eve pulled back, “I’ll be right back stay put okay?”
Evangeline forced a weak smile and nodded as Eve pushed out the door and gave her a hope felt wink.

~

“What are you doing John!” Thomas snapped grabbing his arm.
“This is the guy dad, this is him.”
“I didn’t do shit! And you can’t prove it.” Shane yelled.
Thomas turned to Shane dropping John’s arm, “I could give a fuck who you are but I will tell you right here and now you have fucked with the wrong family.” Thomas snapped getting into his face.

Shane looked up at him shaking in the bed and swallowed, “That girl that you decided to take advantage of is my daughter and I don’t take lightly to people screwing over members in my family.”
“I didn’t…” Shane said trembling.

Thomas glared at him and then a small smile grew across his face, “Oh don’t I just love it when people straight lie to my face.” Thomas turned and reached for Shane’s chart. “Shane Cassidy, Brooklyn Heights, nice neighborhood. I think I own some places there.”
“What are you talking about?”
“You’re address, see son if you ever get out of jail I happen to know where you live and I can make your life a living hell.”

Shane looked over at John who had a small smile on his face, “You wouldn’t.”
“Oh you don’t know me and what I’m capable of. You might want to pray that you can’t afford bail.”

“Hey, hey…” The officer said coming into the room seeing an over turned chair and both John and Thomas hovering over Shane, “How did you two get in here!”
“We were just leaving Officer Flannery.” Thomas said patting Shane on the hand and winking at him. “Son let’s go.”

John shot Shane a heated glare and walked past his dad and the officer into the hallway. Thomas shook Officer Flannery’s hand and patted him on the back, “Keep him secure or I’ll have your badge.” Thomas said against Officer Flannery’s ear.

Thomas stepped out sliding his hands into his pockets and looked at the other officer who nodded at him and shot him a wink and did the same to John. Walking down the hall Thomas stopped John, “What were you doing in there.” He said pulling at his son’s arm.
“What!” John snapped pulling free.
“Don’t what me boy. You cannot be around him.”
“He fucking attacked Evangeline! He put his hands around her neck to keep her from yelling while he tried to…” he stopped talking as he felt the bile sting his throat.

Thomas watched as John stammered over his words and reached for him. Pulling him into a fatherly hug, John held onto his father for dear life. They were going to go through some rough times right now and he was grateful to have him there. It didn’t help much that John could barely remember himself what happened after he came back from dinner with Maria and Fernando.

“John…” Todd said softly walking up to them.
“Yeah?”
“Can we talk.” He asked with his head down.
“Sure, what’s up is it Evangeline?”
Todd looked at Thomas and nodded as John walked after him, “No, this is between you and me.”
John nodded and followed Todd down the hallway to a quiet room, “What’s going on?” John asked pushing the door open to a small waiting room.

“I want you to know that I blame myself and you for what happened at the party tonight. But that doesn’t mean we can’t work together to help Van. She’s going to need us now, and because of that I wont bring up what I saw. I’ll let you do that.”
“What you saw?” John questioned shaking his head.
“I saw you with her, and if Evangeline knew this it would crush her. She has enough on her plate with this I’m not going to add any more to it.”

John looked up at him with a confused expression on his face, “Todd.”
“Listen John what you did was wrong and I don’t want to hear the explanation behind it. All I want is a promise that it would never happen again.”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“Bull shit man, I saw you in bed with that girl.” He said in a hushed whisper.

John shot up, “What girl! What the fuck man!”
Todd looked up at him stunned, “The girl from the party. I understand that you and Van had a fight about something and that’s why you weren’t at the party, but to sleep with her.”
“I didn’t!”
“She was naked in your bed. How can you stand there and tell me you don’t remember?”
“Because I don’t! I don’t know what happened last night. The last thing I remember is coming back from dinner and finding….” His voice trailed off as a memory of Brooke standing at his door holding a bottle of wine came into his mind, “Fuck!” he mumbled.

“SO it’s true then?”
“No! God no! I would never.”
“But you did. I saw it.”
“I wouldn’t.”
“You did John she was in the bed you share with Van. In her spot.”
“No…no…no…” John said falling into a nearby chair and shaking his head as he looked down at the ground, “No…no… please god no…”

“Are you telling me you don’t remember?”
“No! I don’t I wouldn’t, I can’t. I love Evangeline, she means the world to me she must have…”
“What?”
“While Van was getting attacked so was I, she must have fuckin spiked my drink.”
“The wine, I saw the empty bottle on the counter top. John what were you doing drinking.”

John closed his eyes trying to remember everything that happened only a few hours ago, “I didn’t drink it.”
“I saw the empty bottle and glasses.”
“I know what you saw, but I also know I wouldn’t drink. I don’t because of my mom.” He said softly.
“What’s going on here John?”
“Shit if I know man, but she did something to my water, I was drinking water. I know she had to have done something to it.”

Todd stared at John with a look of disbelief, “You’re lying man.” He said standing up and shaking his head. “I can see it all over your face, a look of guilt.”
“Fuck yeah I’m guilty. I let that bitch back into my place after what went down Friday night. She came on to me and stupid ass me let her back in after what Evangeline walked in on.”
“Why?”
“I don’t know, she was… Hell I don’t know, but I got her out as soon as possible. I gave her those painting back and told her to go. But she must have gotten in some how.”
“How? Your place is tighter than Fort Knox.”
“I was pissed at myself for going to the dinner and not to your party. Maybe I forgot to set the alarm or lock the elevator shit I don’t know. But she got back in.”
“Sure…” Todd said walking past John.

John grabbed Todd’s wrist with such force he most likely fractured it, “You will keep your mouth shut about this.”
“I will for now John, but I suggest you tell her sooner rather than later.” John dropped his hold on Todd’s wrist and Todd held it rubbing out the pain in his hand, “Before something else happens and you lose her for good.”
“She wouldn’t go to you Todd.”
“I love her I do, but she’s desperately in love with you John. There isn’t anything I could do to shatter that love that she has for you and I honestly wouldn’t want to. What you two have I envy but if I ever got my shot it wouldn’t be the same. Deep down she would always hold this torch for you John.”

John looked down at the ground at Todd’s words, he was right and this thing with Brooke was threatening what he had with her. “Thank you Todd.”
“I’m not doing this for you. I’m doing it for her and only her.” Todd said walking out of the waiting room.

John sat down and in the chair hearing the door close as Todd left the room, with his own thoughts. “Son…” Eve said coming in.
“Yeah ma?”
“Evangeline’s awake.”
“Is she okay! He asked jumping up and rushing to his mom.
“She’s confused, she can’t remember what happened. I think she needs you son.”
John kissed his mother’s cheek and walked out of the waiting room.

As they both rounded the corner they stopped in their tracks, “What the hell!” John said rushing up to Todd.
“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you can and say will be used against you, do you understand these rights as I have read them to you?” Officer Flannery asked as he handcuffed Todd.
“What is going on!” Thomas snapped walking up to the scene.
“Step back sir I have to take Mr. Manning into custody.”
“On what charge?” He demanded.
“Assault, battery and attempted murder.” He said turning Todd around.
“Keep your mouth shut Manning!” Thomas said walking with Todd outside. “I will have my lawyers meet you at the station. Don’t say a word you got me son.”
Todd nodded his head as he passed Andrea and gave her a warm smile.

“John, Evangeline…” she said gently pulling on John’s arm.
He looked at his mom and then back at Todd and back at his mom. He followed her to Evangeline’s room as Todd was escorted to the police station.

~
John pushed the door open to her private room, “John!” she said crying with her arms opened to him.
John rushed into her arms and hugged her tightly as she cried on his shoulder. Her doctor stood in the middle of the room holding her chart with a sad look on his face. “Please, oh god, please…”She sobbed against his shoulder.

“I’m here now baby, I’m here…” he said tenderly against her ear.
“Johnny I can’t remember.” She said pulling out of his embrace, “The doctor says, the doctor says that…” She stammered.
“Shhh, it’s okay I’m here, I’m here.” He said wiping her face and hugging her again.
“I can’t remember anything, and he says that…”
“Shh, shh…don’t try to remember now okay?” he said softly as he continued to hold her close.

Evangeline tilted her head to the side resting it against John’s shoulder and holding him tightly, “Please tell me it didn’t happen, it’s not true. What he said it can’t be true.”
John kissed her forehead and held her tighter, “Shh, I know you’re scared I’m scared too, but you have me and I’m not going anywhere.”
“Promise me.”
“I promise you, I promise you that and the moon and stars remember.” He whispered.
“Uh huh, the moon and stars.” She said again quietly, “The moon and stars.” She repeated over and over again.
I'm Scared by OLTLfantimes10
“Excuse me.” A police officer said coming into the room. John turned and frowned at the officer, “Evangeline Williamson?” She asked closing the door.
“Yes?”
The officer walked over and smiled at her, “Olivia Benson.” She said handing her and John a card. “Captain Cragen sent me over to handle your case.” She said smiling at John and Evangeline.
“What about the other officers that are with him.”
“He’s here!” Evangeline snapped scared.

John turned and pulled her to his chest, “It’s okay he’s handcuffed down stairs. He can’t hurt you.”
Olivia leaned over the bed and touched her leg softly, “I know this is hard for you but he’s right.” She said nodding toward John, “He’s down stairs in handcuffs my partner is with him now and he can’t hurt you every again.”
“You don’t know that! You can’t know that!” She said panicking. “He, he…. He… could get free and come back and.”

John pulled her tighter to his chest and kissed her forehead, “He wont every touch you again if I have anything to do with it baby.” He whispered.
“Evangeline.” Olivia said looking over at them both, “I need to talk to you. John if you don’t mind.”

John looked up at her confused, “I’m sorry Detective I’m not leaving her.” He said staring into her eyes and stroking the sides of her face. “I’m never leaving her.”
Evangeline forced a smile and wrapped her arms around John’s neck, “Can he stay please. I need him right now.”
Olivia nodded as she pulled out her note pad and a pen, “Can you tell me what happened tonight?”

Evangeline swallowed as she turned to face Olivia. John sat next to her with his arm around her shoulders gently rubbing it, “Take your time baby.” He whispered in her ear and kissed her temple. Evangeline reached over and took John’s hand and linked it with hers, “I went to Todd’s birthday dinner and party.”
“Who were you with?”
“Umm… my friend Andrea, Todd, Paulie and several of our other friends were there.”
“Paulie, Paulie whos that?”
“Paul Schafter, he’s the out going Editor.” She said softly.
“Okay go on.”
“We left the restaurant.”
“Which one.” She asked interrupting.
“Tavern on the Green.”
“Okay, go on.”

Evangeline looked at John who had a warm smile on his face, “We left the restaurant and went to the Parkview for the after party.”
“How did you get there?” She questioned jotting notes down quickly.
“Todd’s family’s limo. It was about eight of us in there, Todd myself, Andrea, Paulie and some others. I can’t really remember.” She mumbled rubbing her hands together.
“We got to the hotel and I was sitting around talking with some other friends that couldn’t make it to dinner but should up later.”
“Where did you meet this Shane guy in all of this?” Olivia asked smiling at her trying to easy her discomfort.

Evangeline shifted on the bed and turned her head away and pulled from John. She moved from the bed and walked to the window gently hugging her body. Resting her head on shoulder she took a whiff and could smell his disgusting scent on her body. She wanted nothing more right now than to get in a shower and scrub her body and wash her hair until it all fell out. Her hands shook as she rested them on the ledge of the window and looked out it, “We were just talking he brought me over a drink.”
“And you took it?”
“Yes!” she said angry at herself and spinning around to glare at John and Olivia, “I took it!”

“Calm down.” Olivia said walking over to her, “I’m not insinuating anything here okay? I just want to know what happened so that I can help you okay?” she said touching Evangeline’s shoulder.
Evangeline nodded and looked up at her with tears in her eyes, “I can’t remember anything after that. The last thing I remember before waking up here is someone on top of me and I knew it wasn’t John.” She said softly.
“How did you know?”
Evangeline looked over at John and smiled softly, “He’s gentle, and his skin is soft except the tips of his fingers because he paints. Plus he didn’t smell he same, see.” She said leaning in.
Olivia took a whiff of Evangeline’s neck and shook her head, “I don’t smell anything.”
“I can, and it’s not him.” She said pointing over to John. “I know his scent, it’s in my blood and this is not his. It’s someone else’s can you tell me what happened?”

~

“Mr. Cassidy….” The detective said pushing open the door and glaring at Shane in the bed.
“Who the hell are you!” Shane snapped as he fought with the handcuffs.
“I’m the detective assigned to your case.”
“The hell you are, what happened to those other guys?”

“Don’t worry about them, you’re going to talk to me now.”
“Fuck no man, I want a lawyer.”
“Ahhh good choice. You invoked, someone knows their rights.”
“You’re damn straight dumb pig cop! And I know you can’t say another word to me without my lawyer.”

The detective walked around the bed and glared at Shane, “I understand that you filled assault charges.”
“Assault and battery and attempted murder you’re damn straight I did.”
“Now why would you do a thing like that?”
“I’m not talking to you! Get out! Before I have your badge, Detective.”
“It’s Stabler, Elliott Stabler. But I’m here to talk about your case against a one Todd Manning. Why don’t you give me your account of what happened.”
“No, I want my lawyer.”
“Okay okay…calm down I understand. There’s a phone use it.”

Elliott walked around the small hospital room staring at Shane as he placed his phone call, “Yeah Lewis.”
“Dude it’s like four in the morning!” He snapped.
“I’m in trouble man.”
“I don’t care, Call at a decent time next time.”
“Wait, all I need you to do is call the lawyer and get him to the hospital, St. James now.”
“Fine, man but don’t call me again.”
“Thanks a lot.” Shane said annoyed before he hung up the phone.

“Who was that, sounds like they don’t really care much about you and your situation here.” He said flipping the sheets around Shane’s feet.
“It was my brother now I suggest you get out before I have your badge and get you cited or police aggravation, or whatever you call it.”
Elliott walked to the door and stopped, “I hope you have a good lawyer Cassidy.”
Shane rolled his eyes and then turned his head away from the door as he fought with the handcuffs.

~
“Why are you doing this man!” Todd snapped as he was shoved into a holding cell at the Police Station.
“It looks like that Shane kid that you beat up filed charges against you.” Officer Flannery said as he slid the door shut.
“Fuck that man, he tried to rape her and I stopped him!” Todd yelled as he rubbed his wrists.
“So you say.”
“Fuck!” Todd yelled as he shook the bars of the jail cell. He turned and stared at the wall and then walked to the small bench and slid down on to it.

Putting his head in his hands he worried about Evangeline and what she was going through right now. Eve had said that she was up and awake and that should be a good sign. His knee bounced up and down quickly as he waited for one of Thomas’ lawyer’s or his dad’s lawyers to show up.

Getting up and pacing the small cell he slid his hands in his pockets and waited impatiently for someone anyone to come. “Todd Manning.” Someone called out as he walked down the hall his shoes clicking on the floor.

“Yay, that’s me!” Todd said jumping up from the bench.
The man in his late forties set his briefcase down and stuck his hand through the bars, “Forrest, Jeff Forrest.” He said shaking Todd hands.
“Mr. Forrest?”
“Yes, Thomas McBain sent me over to represent you. You haven’t spoken to anyone have you?”
Todd looked around as he wiped his hands on his pants, “No…no… Mr. McBain told me not to say anything I haven’t.”
“Good. Excuse me!” Jeff yelled to one of the Police officers.

“Sir?”
“I need to speak with my client, have you booked him yet?”
“No. Who are you?”
Jeff pulled out his card and passed it to the officer, “Jeff Forrest I’m Mr. Manning’s counsel. Either you book him or you release him.”
“We just want to ask him some questions.”
“You placed my client under arrest. I suggest you book him or release him now.” He snapped.
Officer Flannery came walking over and stared at the scene, “What’s going on here?”
“I want my client released.”
“He’s under arrest for assault and battery as well as attempted murder.”

Jeff rolled his eyes and stared at Todd then back at the other Officers, “You can’t be serious. My client was merely protecting his friend from the heinous crime that Shane Cassidy was trying to commit on Evangeline Williamson. Without Todd’s heroic efforts the girl would have been raped and no one would have been the wiser. Release my client.” Jeff said getting into Officer Flannery’s face.
“No, your client beat up Mr. Cassidy because he presumed something happened.”
“You weren’t there! You didn’t see what he was doing to her.” Todd yelled pointing at Officer Flannery.

“Todd shut up!” Jeff snapped slamming his hand on the bars. “I want my client out of custody now. You have no cause to hold him”
The Officer’s looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders, “Not happening.” And then walked away.
“I’ll get you out of here, don’t worry.” He said staring at Todd.
“Can you please tell Evangeline that I’m thinking of her and that I’ll do whatever she wants me to.”
“I will son, just hold tight. I think they are coming to process you now.” He said as another officer walked up to the cell and unlocked it.
“Tell her I love her okay?” He said as they led him away.
“Okay Todd, okay…” Jeff said picking up his briefcase.
~
“No, I can’t tell you what happened I was hoping you could tell me hun.” She said softly.
Evangeline shook her head and turned around to face the window, “I can’t tell you anything. I can’t remember.”
“I know this is hard and you’re doing a really good job Evangeline.” Olivia said touching her shoulder.
Evangeline turned around tears streaming down her face her body shaking as she held in her sobs, “I can’t remember anything. Why can’t I remember anything?” she said through her tears.

John stood up and walked over to them both, she looked up at him and tried to smile but she couldn’t. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry…” She said crying harder. “I should have gone with you, why didn’t I go with you.”

John opened his arms to her as he hugged her and kissed her head, “Don’t apologize this is all my fault baby. I should have gone to the party and not out with Maria. I should have been there with you, this is my fault baby. I should be the one saying sorry.”
Evangeline wiped her face against his shirt as he held her tightly and Olivia took a step back, “I’ll let you two talk okay. Evangeline I’m here to protect you no matter what. I’m on your side okay.” She said rubbing her back.
Evangeline turned her head to look at Olivia, “Thank you.” She whispered. John looked at her as well and said the same.

John helped Evangeline back into the bed pulling her covers up over her and smoothing down her hair before wiping her face free of tears. “I don’t blame you.” She said softly staring into his eyes.
“I do.” John said looking away. “This is my fault, all of this.” He mumbled getting up and walking away.

Evangeline watched him go pulling her knees to her chest and buried her face in them. “John please don’t.”
“I can’t help it. Damn it that son of a bitch touched you and I wasn’t there to stop it because I was…” He stopped himself and turned away to the window.
“What John?”
“I was mad that you put Todd first ahead of me.”
“And you put yourself ahead of your best friend.” She said softly.
“I did and because of my selfishness you ended up hurt.” He said staring out the window into the dark night. “I will never forgive myself for this Van, never. I will do whatever it takes for you to believe in me again.” He said softly.

“John…” Evangeline called reaching for him.
He turned back around and rested on the window sill, “I can’t… this is my fault, this space between us everything that happened tonight it’s my fault. I don’t know how I can forgive myself for causing you this pain baby.”
Evangeline waved him over and John came slowly. She pulled the sheets back and he climbed into the bed behind her. “Tell me you love me.” She said pulling his arms around her body.
“So much that it hurts.” He said softly.
“Tell me you will always be there for me.”
“From here on out you will never be able to get rid of me.”
Evangeline sighed as he held her close, “Tell me that we can get through this.”
“We can get through this. We can get through anything as long as we have each other.”
“John.”
“Yes?”
“I don’t blame you for this okay.”
“Okay, but tell me what I have to do to make you love me and believe in me again.”

Evangeline turned over and pushed his hair from his face, “I’m scared, so scared that because of this you wont want me, love me, be with me. I’m scared that he’s going to get free and come after me and finish it. I’m so scared that I don’t know if I can get through this without you.”
John sighed at her touch and rested his forehead against hers, “What do I have to do to make you love me?” he questioned.
“I never stopped baby. I never stopped, and I could never stop. But I need you, you and no one else.”
“What about Todd?”
“What about him? Is he blaming himself for this?”
“Yes he is. It was his party, his friend. He feels awful but he did something that I swore I would always do.”
“What’s that?” she asked snuggling against him.
“He saved you from him. He beat the shit out of that bastard who dare to.”
“Shh…. I can’t hear that. I’m grateful for Todd for what he did, but he could never make me feel as safe in his arms as you do John. It’s you, I love you and I belief in you and our love.” She said blowing out a soft sigh. John held her close and kissed her forehead over and over again.

~
“What the hell is going on here!” Thomas yelled walking through the police station to still see Todd locked up.
“Sir who are you?”
“Where is your Captain?” He snapped.
“In his office sir.” The officer said pointing to back of the station.

Thomas nodded at Todd and walked quickly through the Police station to the Captain’s office, “Excuse me. Captain Selders.” He said pushing open the door.
“Mr. McBain!” He snapped jumping up from his seat.
“Why is Todd Manning still in lock up!” He yelled pointing back to the holding cells.
“He’s under arrest sir.”
“For what!”

“Assault amongst some other chargers we can’t just let him go.”
“You wanna bet.” The door opened again as Tom said the last part and ADA Andrews walked in. “Sir, I’m sorry I took so long.”
Thomas shook Andrews hand and looked back over at Captain Selders, “The District Attorney’s office won’t be pressing any charges against Mr. Manning.”
“Excuse me!” The Captain said shocked, “When did this happen.”

“It doesn’t matter release Mr. Manning into Mr. McBain’s custody.”
“Fine!” He snapped walking past Thomas and Andrews.
“Took you long enough Andrews.”
“I’m sorry Mr. McBain I had to find Judge that was up this early in the morning to get the charges dismissed. Your boy Forrest had nearly ever Judge up and they were just waiting for me.”

“He didn’t do anything wrong, he was only protecting my daughter.”
“Daughter?”
“Daughter in law, or at least she will be soon enough.” Thomas said as he paced back and forth in the office. “I want Shane Cassidy put away for good Andrews.”
“It’s his first offense.”
“He was caught in the act.”
“She doesn’t remember anything.”
“Todd does as well as her friend Andrea. Not to mention he drugged her drink and her blood work will prove that. Do whatever you have to but that boy is to serve jail time, don’t even thing about probation or I will go to your boss in a New York minute.” He snapped and walked out of the office.

“Mr. McBain.”
“Let’s go son.” Tom said grabbing Todd by the arm and pulling him out of the station.
“Thank you sir.”
“I should be thanking you Son.” Thomas said patting Todd on the back. “Evangeline’s awake I’m sure you know.”
“I do. How is she sir?” Todd asked stopping Thomas from moving and getting into the limo.
“She’s scared but she has John to help her through this, and you as well Manning.”
Todd nodded and slid into the limo after Thomas.

~

The door opened slowly to Evangeline’s hospital room and Eve stuck her head in, “Is it okay if I come in?” She said softly.
Evangeline looked over her shoulder and nodded her head, “Please….” She said pulling from John’s embrace and sitting up in the bed.
Eve walked in with a soft smile and kissed Evangeline on the forehead, “How are you dear?”
“Scared.” She said quietly.

John got up from the bed, “I’m going to go see when we can get you out of here and back home okay?” he asked walking to the door.
“She’ll be fine with me.”
John winked at his mom, “Thanks mom.”
“My pleasure Johnny. Go find that doctor.” John nodded and walked out the door.

Eve turned around as she sat on the edge of the bed, “Are you sure you’re okay?”
Evangeline nodded and wiped her eyes, “I’m okay as long as I have John.”
“I want you to know that whatever you need Thomas and I will be there.” She said squeezing her hand.

Evangeline nodded and smiled, “Thank you Eve that means a lot to me. How is John handling this?”
“I want you to stop thinking about John and concentrate on yourself. He can handle himself, we need to worry about you.”
“I’m fine.”
Eve let out a soft laugh, “Don’t lie to me Evangeline.”
“Eve I’m fine, I’m scared because I don’t know what happened and I’m afraid that because I don’t know what happened he’s going to get free.”

Eve smiled and leaned in, “Can I tell you a secret hun?”
“Yes.”
“When you became part of John’s life you became part of my husband’s life as well. You did something neither of us could do, you brought John back to us and we are forever grateful for that. Because of your commitment to Johnny Thomas is committed to you and keeping you two safe and secure. He will do whatever it takes to keep that boy in jail for what he tried to do to you. If there is anyone else in on this as well the people that sold the boy the drugs anyone they will feel the wrath of Thomas McBain and it’s a deadly one. That boy messed with the wrong family.”

Evangeline smiled and leaned in to hug Eve, “Thank you for that.”
“No, thanks needed. All we ask is you let us take care of you and don’t worry about anyone else.”

“She has a point.” Todd said coming into the room.
Evangeline burst into tears as Todd rushed over to her and hugged her tightly kissing the side of her face over and over again, “Thank you, thank you…” She said through her sobs.
Eve rose from her seat on the bed as Evangeline continue to hug Todd and left the two of them alone. Walking into the hallway she saw Thomas on the phone walking back and forth and John talking with the doctor.

“Can she go home?” Eve asked placing her hand on John’s back.
“She can.” He said with a bright smile. “They just want to do one more blood count to make sure everything is okay. Then I can take her home. Is Todd with her now?”
“Yeah, he came in and they are catching up.”
“Good, good I owe Todd a lot.” He said looking back into the room, “I’m going to go home and get some clothes for her, they have to keep hers for evidence.”
“You want me to tell her that?”
“No, no… She’s in there with Todd they should be okay, I’ll be back before she knows it.”
“Tell her where you are going John, she’s scared enough as is.”

John leaned over and kissed Eve on the cheek, “Okay mom.” He said sighing. John walked back over to the hospital room and opened the door slowly. He saw Todd sitting on the bed gently caressing the side of her face, “Excuse me.” John said softly.

Todd stood up and John waved him to sit back down, “My mom thought it would be a good idea that I tell you that I’m going back to the apartment to get you some clothes. I’ll be back soon, you have Todd to keep you company.”
“Well tell your mom thanks for that. I would be worried about you.” Evangeline said with a smile.
“I want you to stop worrying about me okay. Concentrate on yourself.” John said shaking his head.
“I’m fine John.”
“You’re lying.” Both Todd and John said at he same time. They looked at each other and laughed, “We know you to well baby, don’t lie about this okay?”

“Really I’m fine. I just want to go home and shower.”
“How about this.” John said walking up to her, “I go home get your tweety bird pajama pants and shirt bring them here so you can change and I’ll take you back and give you a bath.”
“No.” she said quickly. “I want to shower, the rest sounds okay, but I’ll shower by myself.”
John nodded his head and looked over at Todd, “Keep her safe man.”
Todd stared at John like he had a third head, “Of course!” he said rolling his eyes.
John leaned over and kissed Evangeline on the forehead, “I’ll be right back don’t go anywhere without me.”
“Okay.” She said running her fingers through his hair before he pulled back.
“I love you.”
“I love you.” She said blowing him a kiss.

Evangeline looked back over at Todd and smiled, “Thank you Todd.”
“For what?”
“John and Eve told me what you did.”
“I was only protecting someone that I care about.”
“You didn’t have to do what you did.” She said touching his bloody knuckles and the side of his face, “Did he give these to you?”

Todd pulled his hands away and touched the side of his face, “No. Your boyfriend did.”
“John what? No…”
“Well I give as good as I get.” He said with a wink.
“That explains John’s face and hands.”
“What you didn’t ask him about it?” Todd asked confused.
“He was and still is too worried about me.”
“As it should be Van, he should have been there.”
“I should have been out to dinner with him, Maria and Fernando.”
“It was my birthday.” Todd said hurt.
“It was and that’s why I was there.”
“Exactly and if John considered me a friend and put someone first besides his own well being he would have been there and none of this would have happened.”

“Stop it!” Evangeline snapped punching Todd in the arm, “I thank you for everything you did Todd. Beating that guy up, and protecting me but don’t you dare blame John.”
“I can’t help it!” he said rising from the bed. He walked around the hospital room running his hands through his hair, “He left you there to fend for yourself and you end up here!” he said throwing his hands up in the air.
“I want you to do something for me.” Evangeline said calmly.
“What!”
“Stop blaming each other for this. I’m hurting yes but it’s nobody’s fault but that boy that put me here and my fault for drinking the drinks he gave me. I should know better Todd.”


Todd stared at her in disbelief, “How could you blame yourself.”
“Well I do, I was stupid and acting irresponsible. I shouldn’t have trusted him.”
“He was a friend of mine, he did this to you! NO one else.”
Evangeline smiled and winked, “See.”
“What.” He asked exasperated.
“You get it, you didn’t do this, John didn’t do this and neither did I. I didn’t deserve what he put me through and I’m glad I can’t remember what happened. This is all his fault and I want him to pay.”
“I’m so sorry for this Evangeline. So sorry.” He said walking back to the bed and taking her hands into his.

“Thank you for that Todd, it means a lot to me. What you did means a lot to me. I owe you my life.”
Todd shook his head and kissed the top of her hands, “Thank you sweetie.”
“You’re very welcome. I want you to stay clear of that guy I don’t want you arrested for protecting me.”
“Too late.” He said chuckling.”
“What?”
“He had me arrested for assault and battery.” Todd said smiling at her.
“No! What, he can’t do that.”
“It’s okay, don’t worry. Thomas handled things.”
“Really?” Evangeline asked surprised.
“Yes really, he got his lawyer down there and got me sprung.” He said with a wink, “Thomas is a good man.”
“He is and has an amazing son.” She said softly.
“Sure whatever.”
“What’s that mean?” She said staring at him.
“Nothing, nothing at all. I’m going to let Andrea come in and talk to you okay?” Todd started to rise from the bed and Evangeline grabbed his hand.

“What is going on Todd? You can be honest with me.”
“Nothing hun. Everything is fine.”
“Don’t lie to me Manning. I can read you just as well as you and John can read me.”
“I’m not lying Van. I’m fine. John and I are fine, I’m going to go get Andrea I’m sure she’s worried sick about you.” He said pulling from her grasp.

~
John walked into the apartment dropping his keys on the countertop and stared at the empty glass and wine bottle. “I didn’t drink, I know I didn’t drink.” He mumbled to himself.

He threw the bottle away and put the glasses in the dishwasher. He walked through the apartment staring at everything and finally made his way into the bedroom. It was trashed, his fight with Todd earlier in the night had destroyed his bedroom. There was no way he would bring Evangeline back to this place looking like this.

Grabbing the garbage can picked up the glass from a shattered mirror and got a mop to clean up the water from a spilled vase. Running his hands through his hair he blew out deep breath as he finished cleaning up the bedroom.

He then changed the sheets throwing the others down the incinerator hoping to never see them again. He pulled out a set of new sheets and quickly made the bed before grabbing a shower himself. His head was spinning as he stood up under the shower trying to wash away the events of last night. Punching the marble wall of the shower John turned and slide down it crying softly.

His girl was in trouble while he was in bed with another woman and he would never forgive himself for that. He made one promise to himself, to always protect her and he failed her, he failed her miserably. Staring up at the ceiling he wiped at his eyes and reached to turn the shower off. As he stood up and reached for a towel he wrapped it around his body and stared at himself in the mirror. The black eye that Todd gave him was starting to show and his lip was cut along the side.

He quickly shaved and brushed his teeth before getting dressed and getting clothes for Evangeline to wear. He did a once over in the apartment before leaving to go and pick her up. Nodding at Jason he got back into the car and sat in the back staring out the window trying to figure out how to help her the best way he knew.

~
“You ready?” John asked coming into the hospital room.
Evangeline turned around from the window and smiled at him, “Where’s Todd?” John asked coming into the room caring a bag of her stuff.
He set it on the bed and moved closer to her, “Evangeline?” He said again quietly.

“He went to go get my discharge papers. What took you so long?”
“Todd and I had a fight, I was cleaning up.”
“Oh, the sun’s coming up.” She said staring out the window.

John walked up to her and wrapped his arms around her slowly. She pulled his arms around her waist and snuggled against him. “What does this remind you of?” She asked slowly as he rocked her back and forth.
“The night we got back together and I showed you the room at the cottage.”
“Can we go there?”
“The Cottage?” he asked staring at her confused.
“Yeah I just want to get away from the city for a while.”
“Are you running?”
“No.” she said softly.
“Are you sure?”
“Yeah, I just want to be with you.” She said turning her head and kissing his cheek.

“I think we should stay here and deal with what happened.”
Evangeline shoved his hands away and pushed out of his embrace, “For the last time I’m fine!” she snapped yelling at him. “I don’t need to stay here and work on anything because there is nothing to work out. He didn’t do anything to me, Todd saved me and I have you to protect me. Can’t we just leave it alone?”
“No. I’m not letting you just push this away.”
“I’m not. Thank the lord I can’t remember anything! I don’t want to remember anything. He was there I was there, He drugged me and tried to you know, and Todd stopped him end of story.” She yelled.

“No it’s not end of story. Don’t push this away, trust me I can see how much pain you’re in baby. I want to help you with this.”
“There’s nothing you can do. I just want to be with you.” She said walking up to him, “I just want to go away with you. Forget this night every happened okay?”
“Okay.” He said holding her face in his hands, “Whatever you want.”
“I want to leave, can we leave as soon as possible?”
“What about the police?” John questioned.
“We’ll leave them a message and our cell numbers to where they can find us. Can you call Roberto and have him get the cottage open please.” She said begging him.
“Okay how about we go at the end of the week. Just to make sure that the police don’t have any more questions.”

Evangeline turned her head and swallowed, “Fine. Are those my clothes?”
“Yeah, I’ll leave while you get dressed.”
She nodded her head and John walked out of the room.


“Thanks Todd for doing this.” John said walking up to the nurses counter.
“Anything for her. She ready to go home yet?”
“She’s getting dressed. Wants to go to the cottage.”
“What! Why? She needs to deal with this.”
“She won’t listen to me about it. She claims she’s fine.”

“I’ll talk to her.” Andrea said walking up with a half smile. “Sometimes she just needs to hear it from another woman.” She patted John on the back and kissed Todd on the cheek.
“I thought you talked earlier.” Todd questioned.
“We did, but not about that. We didn’t talk about it, she wouldn’t eve bring it up.”
“She’s in denial.” John said staring at them both.
“No I don’t think she is.” Andrea said shaking her head, “She knows what happened but because she can’t remember it’s hard to truly come to terms with it.”
“I can’t bring myself to tell her what I saw.” Todd said staring at the ground.

“She wouldn’t believe you any way.” John said looking around the hospital, “She needs to remember it for herself. It’s not going to be pretty if she ever recalls those memories.”
“No it’s not.”
“Not at all.” Todd said shaking his head.

“What’s not?” Evangeline asked coming out of the hospital room.
The Cottage by OLTLfantimes10
John stood at the doorway to the bathroom watching Evangeline pack some of her things for their mini vacation to the cottage in Connecticut, “I think we should stay here.” He said softly watching her.
Evangeline shook her head no and continued to pack her things. “Van please.” He said walking into the bathroom and placing his hands over hers to stop her from packing her things. “I really thing we should stay here, you’re….”
“What?” she said softly looking down at his hands wrapped protectively around hers. She raised their hands up to her mouth and kissed his knuckles. “I know what you’re trying to do.” She said looking up at him.

John pulled his hand free and ran them over her face and through her hair, “I just want you to feel safe and that you can get through this. It hasn’t even been a week Evangeline.”
Evangeline turned her face into his hand and kissed the inside of his palm, “You’re too good to me Johnny Mac.” She said with a wink.

John chuckled and lowered his face to hers, “You’re the one that’s too good for me.” He whispered as he kissed her lips softly. “Can we please just stay here, you’re having nightmares.”
“I’m not.” She said shaking her head back and forth against his.
“Van I sleep next to you and you’re having nightmares hun.” He said holding her close.
“I can’t even sleep so how can I have a nightmare?” she questioned staring into his eyes.

John closed his eyes and blew out a soft sigh, “Please just few more weeks here go see Janet she can help.”
“I don’t want her involved in this. For the last time I’m fine. I’m dealing, I have you, Todd and Andrea to help me. I’m doing good. Now I just want to get away from the city for a while and be with my man. Is that too hard to understand?” she asked running her hands along the back of his head.

“John?” Evangeline asked softly, “I need this, I need you to let this happen do you understand me?”
“No, I want you to stay here and work through this. I don’t like the idea of you running from your problems, your pain. You’re not a runner, you’re stronger than that.”
“I’m not running.” She said softly.
“You are.” He said snapped and pulled from her embrace.

John walked around the bathroom running his hands through his hair and staring at her then the ground, “This is hard enough knowing what that slime bag did to you. How he touched you and tried to take what wasn’t his.”
Evangeline hugged her body at his words and sat on the edge of the sink watching him go back and forth across the bathroom. “I know what he did John, I mean from what others say, I know what he did. I can’t remember and I don’t want you to mention it again.” She said softly staring at the ground.

John stopped talking and looked over at her. He knew he had said the wrong thing, stopping in front of her he put his hands on her shoulders and rubbed them before pulling her to his chest, “I’m sorry babe. I know you can’t remember.” He whispered kissing the top of her head over and over again.

Evangeline slid her arms around his body holding him close and inhaled his scent as his arms engulfed her making her fell safe and secure. “I love you, you know that right?” John questioned.
“I do.”
“I just want you to be whole, and this thing is making you do things I know my Evangeline wouldn’t do. She wouldn’t stand around and run from her problems. She would face them head on and deal with it like the strong determined woman I know you are.”
“I’m trying why can’t you see that. I can’t remember what happened and I’m not about to force the situation. Todd was there, Andrea was there they can give the police everything they need.”

John pulled from the embrace and walked into the bedroom. “Get your stuff Jason will be here with the car any minute.” Evangeline smiled and finished throwing her things into the small toiletry bag. She came out of the bedroom and threw John the bag and smiled at him, “Thank you John.”
He looked up at her and winked, “Anything for you.”
“The moon and the stars right!” she said giggling.
“The moon and the stars baby.” He walked over and kissed her fully on the lips before threading his fingers through her hair and cupping her face. “The moon and the stars.”

~

Evangeline stepped outside of the car and smiled at their home away from home. Staring at the cottage she felt a sense of peace sweep across her. The trees shaded the afternoon sun creating a calming breeze through the forest. Looking over her shoulder she smiled softly at John as he unloaded the car of their bags. The car ride was entertaining needless to say. With the addition of the satellite radio in the car they both fought over the stations to listen too.

John with his classic rock and Evangeline with her Soul music, “You want some help?” She asked walking up to the back of the car.
John reached for her hand and pulled her close, “All I want you to do is relax and let me take care of you.” He said running his hand up and down her back.
“You’ve been doing that for a week now.”
“And if I could I would do it for the rest of our lives.” He said kissing her. “Here.” He pulled off the keys from his key ring and handed it to her, “Go open the door kay?”

“Kay!” she giggled and ran to the door. Unlocking it she looked behind her as John carried their bags up to the door. He nodded for her to go in and she turned and froze at the door. John stopped behind her resting his head on her shoulder and kissed the inside of her neck, “You like?”

Evangeline stepped further into the cottage dropping the keys on the small stand next to the door, “You did all this?”
“Well yes and no. I had the florist come in, but yeah I had it all arranged.”
Evangeline walked through smelling all of the lilies and roses and cal lilies he had placed through out the cottage. “You’re gonna make me cry.” She said holding back her tears and fingering the bouquet of white and red roses.

John set the bags down and walked in after her, “That wasn’t my intention.” He said watching her move about the living room. There were flowers galore that filled the living room and the dining room. There were candles that lined the mantel and flickered against the soft backdrop of the wall. “I can’t believe you did this for me.” She said holding her hand to her chest.

John winked at her and moved the bags into the bedroom, “There’s much more to come.” He said coming out of the bedroom with his hands in his jean pockets. “More huh? Like what?”
“You’ll just have to wait and see pretty lady!” he said kissing her lips.

Evangeline sighed as she felt his hands run down her back pulling her close deepening the kiss. Her arms snaked around his neck as she leaned backwards pulling him to the couch behind her. “What are you doing?” He asked falling on top of her.

“I’ve missed this, you don’t….” she said staring at him.
“I want you to do the leading this time.” He said smiling down at her, “I’m going at your pace okay?”
She nodded and leaned up to kiss him. Pulling back she smiled, “I’m starved is the fridge stocked?” She said happily.
John moved from on top of her and pulled her up, “Yes but remember I have other plans for you this weekend.” He said pulling her along.
“Where are you taking me?” She questioned as she trialed behind John.

John stopped and turned around putting his fingers to her lips he winked at her. “Shhh…” Evangeline rolled her eyes and followed John willingly. They went into the kitchen and John pulled the picnic basket out from the cabinet and loaded it up with cheese, crackers, grapes, meat, sparkling cider and chocolate covered strawberries. “John!” she said staring at him in shock.
“Shhh…” he said kissing her lips to silence her. Evangeline eyed him suspiciously and stood with her arms folded across her chest. “We can go now.” He said grabbing a blanket from the hallway closet and tucking it up under his arm.

She nodded and followed him out the back of the cottage down a trail that lead to a clearing. John spread the blanket out and then reached for Evangeline’s helping her onto the blanket, “Hungry?” he asked opening the picnic basket and pulling the food out.
“Starved!” she said her eyes gazing over the food taking it all in.
“Good.” He said laying back as she started to dig into the food.

~

“What else do you have planned McBain?” Evangeline asked looking over her shoulder at him as she fed him a strawberry.
John smiled down at her and shook his head, “Not telling.” He mumbled with his hand over his mouth.

Evangeline turned around and pushed him to the ground, “Why all this?” She asked softly as she stroked the side of his face.
“We haven’t had any real alone time in a real long time.” He said caressing the side of her face. “I want you to feel safe again.”
“I do.”
“I know you Evangeline, I’ve been with you for almost four years now and I can read you like a book. There’s something you aren’t telling me and I’ll be patient with you until you’re ready to tell me whatever it is that has you so twisted up.”

Evangeline shook her head as she rolled off of John staring up at the clouds in the soft blue sky, “You don’t know what it’s like to not remember a whole section of time. To have people tell you things that happened yet you can’t remember any of it.”
John rolled over on his side propping his head up on his elbow, “Why don’t you tell me what it’s like. Talk to me.”
She turned her head and forced a smile, “I don’t want to talk about it now.”
“If not now when? It’s been a week Evangeline or close to it and the longer you push this down and away the harder it’s going to be to deal with it in the long run.”
“Are you going somewhere?” She asked turning on her side.
John narrowed his eyes to her and shook his head, “No, why?”
“Good because as long as I have you in my life I don’t have to deal with it because you’ll protect me. He’s in jail now and with your Dad’s help and influence he’ll stay there for a long time.”

John shook his head and ran a hand over his face, “You just don’t get it do you.”
“Get what!” she snapped.
“You have to deal with things like this. Don’t tell me after running that group of rape survivors you would dare tell any of them to just push it away do not deal with it because they have a good support system.”
“John please.” She said rolling her eyes and turning away from him. She sat up and bent her knees pulling them to her chest and hugging them. “Why can’t things just be easy?”

He came behind her placing his arms around her body and resting his head against hers, “Life isn’t easy. There are ups and downs, the good and the bad but through it all we have each other. We have the people that make us stronger that love and care about us to help through the bad times the rough times.”

“I just want it to go away, erase the whole night like it never happened.”
“We can’t do that, what we can do is learn to live with what happened by talking about it. I know that it’s rough right now but you have me, you will always have me. Regardless of what we go through you will have me, I’m not leaving and there isn’t anything you can do to push me away.”
Evangeline looked out into the clearing at some rabbits playing with each other and smiled, “Thank you John.”
“No thanks necessary, why do you say we go back to the cottage.”
“And do what?”
“Paint, we haven’t painted together in a while.”
“That sounds nice.”

~

“Can you hand me the red?” Evangeline asked holding her hand out to John and wiggling her fingers at him.
“What? No don’t do that, it’ll ruin it!” he said shaking his head and continuing to paint.
“Excuse me.” She said rolling her eyes at him, “This is my painting.”
“You’re the doctor I’m the painter, no red.” He said sticking his tongue out and turning back to his own painting.

Evangeline stood from her stool and moved to the back of the room to get her own paint. John watched her come back and rose to stand in front of the easel, “Move.” She said placing her hands on her hips.
“Uh no!” John folded his arms and stood his ground, “I’m not going to let you ruin it.”
Evangeline tried to push him aside, “Move John it’s my painting I can do what I want.”
“The red doesn’t work, if you want to go with something in that family do Orange but I forbid you to put red on that canvas.”
“You forbid me!” she said shocked, “Well we’ll see about that.” She opened the small jar of red paint and dipped her brush into it and painted his face.

John stared at her in shock and wiped the paint from his face and then wiped it on hers, “I can’t believe you just did that.” He said as he slowly slid his hand down the side of her face.
Evangeline put her brush in the paint again and flicked it at him this time, “What? And you get a free pass?” She said flicking him again.

John lunged forward and Evangeline ran backwards away from him. She turned throwing paint at him as he chased her around the room, “Come back here!” He yelled chasing her out into the living room. “Don’t…not out here…” he said pleading with her.
“What?” She held the paint brush up and got her arm ready to flick paint at him again.
“Don’t babe, that’s a six hundred dollar sofa in front of you.”
“I know…” She said with wide eyes, “Let me put red on the canvas or it gets all over the sofa.
“You wouldn’t dare. You love that couch as much as I do.”

Evangeline dangled the brush over the couch ready to drop paint on it as John stared at her in shock, “Baby please.”
“Take it back.”
“What?” he asked walking slowly around her.
“The forbidding me thing.” She said moving away from him as he tried to get closer to her.
“I take it back, I take it back!” he said stopping and throwing his hands up in the air.
Evangeline winked at him and walked slowly back into the art room, “Thought so.”
John blew out a sigh of relief and followed her back into the art room. Evangeline stopped at the canvas and smiled, “I like red.” She said swaying back and forth.

John moved slowly behind her with a jar of green paint in his hand, “Hey?”
“Yeah?” she said turning around.
John took his brush and flicked green paint at her with a big grin on his face, “And I like green!”
“YOU ASS!” she squealed dropping the red paint and brush to the covered floor and chasing after him. John ran through the house with Evangeline on his heels and stopped in the kitchen. They danced around the island as John held the jar of green paint ready to make his mark on her again.
“Don’t you dare!” she said walking closer.
“What you can do it and I can’t?”
“Uhhh yeah that’s about right.” She said laughing softly and tucking her hair behind her ears. “You got paint in my hair!”
“Oh it’ll come out! You know that.” He said laughing and walking backwards around the island.
“But that means I have to wash it.” She said pouting.
“What if I do it for you?”
“Really?” she said with a bright smile.
“Sure why not.”
“Okay.” She said laughing softly.
“Okay?”
“Yeah Okay…” Evangeline moved in closer to him as John backed up and finally hit the wall of the kitchen.

“No where to go McBain.” She said laughing.
“I’ve still got this!” he said grinning and holding the jar of paint in front of him.
“Put I’ve got your brush.”
“Doesn’t mean I can’t throw the whole jar at you or use my fingers.” He smirked dipping his fingers into the jar of paint.
“Oh John don’t…don’t…” she said laughing as he lunged forward and grabbed her by the waist and smeared paint all over her face and neck.
Evangeline squealed and fought in his embrace as he laughed and continued to trail green paint all along her face and neck. “Johnny, stop! Uncle, I call uncle!” she said laughing and trying to break free.

John let her go as she wiped at her face and scowled at him, “I can’t believe you.” She said shaking her head and wiping at the sides of her face.
John laughed and leaned in to kiss her green lips, “You should get that off you so it doesn’t stain.”
“What!” she shrieked and dashed past him into the bathroom.

John laughed as he heard her run down the hallway and the door to the bathroom slam shut. Walking slowly after her he could hear her mumbling and most likely cursing him under her breath. He pushed the door open to see her in her bra and panties with the shower running. “Want some help?” he asked watching her.

Evangeline turned her head and glared at him, “No!”
“Oh come on baby, it’s just a little paint. Besides I can wash your back and you can wash mine.” He said pulling his shirt over his head and throwing it to the ground.

Evangeline stared at him half naked and continued to undress herself. She opened the shower door and moved in not saying a word to him. John walked up to it and peered in to see her standing up under the spout the water rushing down her body. He swallowed hard at the sight of her wet naked body glistening from the water droplets, “Can I come in?” he asked softly.
Evangeline turned her head and smiled, “Yes but I’m not ready to you know.”
“That is not my intention.” He said puling off his jeans and stepping into the shower. He slowly put his hands on her shoulders and Evangeline leaned back into him wrapping them around her waist.

John sighed to feel the soft contact of her skin against his and kissed the inside of her neck. He hadn’t wanted to feel like he was pushing her since the incident so he was letting her make all the moves in relation to their physical contact. Yes he would kiss her on the lips but that was the jist of it. Anything else had to come from her, he wanted to make sure she was comfortable in their physical contact.

Evangeline reached for the soap and a towel and then turned in John’s arms, “Turn around.” She said swiping the hair from her eyes. John did as instructed and she ran the soapy towel along his back and down his arms before turning him around and getting his chest and neck. She leaned in and kissed his lips as she ran the towel across his face getting the red and green paint from it. “All gone?” he asked opening his eyes when he felt her move from him.

Evangeline nodded and moved so he could get up under the shower, “Are you okay?” he asked rinsing off and watching her wash her own body.
“Fine.”
“This isn’t too much for you too soon?”
She shook her head and smiled at him, “My back?” she said turning around so that he could wash her back. John took the rag and gently moved it across her back and down her hips and back up again, “I can stop if you want me too.” He said softly against her ear.
“I’m okay.” She said more to affirm it in her own mind than to appease him. “I’m okay.” She said again truly believing it.

John turned her around to get her stomach and her face and Evangeline held her breath as his hands gently touched her breasts. Her eyes closed tight and she turned her head feeling his hands move along the tops of her breasts, “John wait.” She said placing her hands over his.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to push.” He pulled his hands back and smiled at her tenderly. “I’m sorry.” He turned around and rinsed off quickly before getting out of the shower and leaving her.

Evangeline watched him go shocked. She quickly rinsed off and turned the shower off. Getting out quickly she grabbed a towel and then reached for John’s hand, “Where are you going?” she asked pulling him back into the bathroom.
“I pushed you, I should have known better.” He said staring at the door and not her.
Evangeline moved into him and kissed his bare back, “You didn’t push.” She said quietly, “You stopped when I said wait thank you for that.”

John nodded and tried to move but Evangeline held him close to her, “This has been the best afternoon and I don’t want to ruin it.”
“What no!” John said turning around and tilting her head up to meet his eyes, “You are not doing that. I shouldn’t have been in there with you.”
“I invited you.” She said tucking her hair behind her ears and smiling shyly at him.
“I know but I should have known better. I get around you and I lose my mind. You’re just so damn beautiful.” He said shaking his head.
“Why thank you.” She blushed swaying back and forth.
“You’re a trip.” John said laughing and scooping her up in his arms.

“A trip! What me never.” She said laughing as he walked them backwards into the bedroom.
“Yes you’re such a seductress, tempting me with that body of yours, that smile, the way you smell, laugh.” He said nibbling on her neck.
Evangeline laughed as his face tickled her neck and she hit his chest. “Sorry, sorry…” he said letting her go and moving to get dressed.

Evangeline sat on the bed in her towel fingering the ends of her hair, “Now what do we do?”
“Well I would like to finish my painting, you do whatever you want besides adding red to yours!” he said eyeing her up and down.
“Oh come on John.” She said bouncing up and down on the bed.
“No, no… stay away from that canvas with that red paint brush or I’ll have to go at you with green again!” he said slipping his clothes back on.

Evangeline laughed and fell on backwards on the bed, “I think I’ll take a nap.”
“Really?”
“Yeap, you wore me out McBain with all this wining and dining you’ve done.”
John leaned over and ran his hands through her wet hair, “You aint seen nothing yet.” He said kissing her passionately.

Evangeline sighed into the kiss and moved backwards on the bed bringing John with her. She wrapped her arms around his neck as she pulled him down to the bed. John let his tongue move slowly into her mouth dancing around her tongue and gently pulling at it with his own. He relished in the feel of her body pressed against his, her nails gently scraping his scalp and pushed her deeper into the bed.

Evangeline hooked her leg around his waist pulling him closer as she continued to pull at his tongue with her own. She loved the feeling of being in his arms and would give nothing more than to be here all day everyday. Breaking the kiss John pulled back and smiled, “You’re not ready and I don’t want to push you.” He said quietly.
Evangeline nodded her head and smiled grateful for what they had. He was right she wasn’t ready and she was forcing herself to give him something she thought he wanted and needed from her. “You enjoy your nap.” He said moving from the bed.

Evangeline smiled as he pulled the sheets back and she slipped up under the covers and then threw the towel to the end of the bed. John winked at her and then left the room to finish painting and later make dinner.

~

The sun had set and Evangeline was still asleep in their bed. This was the first time he had seen her actually sleep for a long period of time. A dinner of grilled chicken, veggies and baked potatoes sat on the kitchen table waiting for them. John walked through the living room to the kitchen and rested against the door jam. Evangeline was tangled in the sheets her hair fanned out over the pillow her chest rising and falling slowly and he smiled. She was radiant, brilliant and his.

John walked to the bed and sat on it gently. He leaned over and kissed her forehead and then nose and finally her lips, “Time to eat.” He said softly brushing his face against hers.
“Stop” Evangeline mumbled shaking her head back and forth.
“Come on baby.” He whispered.
“No… please don’t…” she cried.
John pulled back realizing she was having another nightmare and tried to gently wake her up, “Van baby it’s me.” He said against her ear.
“No!....no…. stop!” she said screamed waving her hands in the air. John moved back and ran his hand over his face. He never knew how to get her out of these things without making it worse.

“Evangeline baby listen to me.” He whispered against her ear, “It’s John I’m here, I’m not going to hurt you.” He held her wrists close to her chest and she stood thrashing in the bed beneath him, “I love you and I’m not going to hurt you. Wake up sweetie.” He cooed brushing her hair from her face.

Evangeline’s eyes fluttered open and she turned her head toward the sound of his voice, “Hey…” She said yawning and smiling at him.
“Hi.” John let go of her hands and moved from the bed, “It’s time for dinner.”
“What time is it?”
“After six.”
“I’ve been asleep that long?” she said shocked.
“Yeah, put your robe on and come to the kitchen.”
Evangeline nodded and moved to get out of the bed.

She walked into the kitchen her hair pulled away from her face smiling at the spread John had laid out, “Wow first breakfast in bed this morning, then a picnic lunch and now this. I’m impressed McBain.” She said taking her seat across from him.
“You like?” he asked stopping next to her to pour her some iced tea.
Evangeline tilted her head up to his, “I love, just like I love you.” She said laughing as he moved from her. John smiled and nodded and sat down across from her.

Evangeline dug into her chicken as John sat back sipping his tea and watching her eat, “I want you to go to that group at New York Presbyterian.” He said staring at her.
Evangeline stared at him and dropped her knife and fork on to her plate, “John stop that please, we are having dinner.”
“You had another nightmare.” He said leaning across the table.
“I did not.”
John smack the table with a closed fist, “You did! I had to hold you down, you were screaming and thrashing in the bed Evangeline.”
She turned her head from him and stared out the window, “I was?” she asked quietly.
John lowered his voice and moved to kneel in front of her, “Hey look at me.” He said trying to get her attention. “What’s going on?”
Evangeline swallowed and stared down at him as tears strolled down her cheeks, “I remember.” She said softly, “I remember everything he did to me.”
My Other Half by OLTLfantimes10
John cupped her face into his hands and wiped away the tears that rolled quickly down her cheeks, “How long?” He asked softly.
“The night before last. I was having a nightmare and woke up, and from then on…” she said softly.

John continued to caress her face as he sat patiently waiting for her to say more, “What all do you remember?”
“Him on top of me, his hands around my neck.” She said placing her hands there. John removed them and held them in her lap, “That’s enough, you don’t have to tell me any more. We’re going home tomorrow morning and I’m taking you to see someone.”
Evangeline nodded and looked down at his hands in her lap, “Thank you.” She said softly.
“For?”
“Pushing me just enough, you always know when to push and when to hold back.”
“I want you to be comfortable talking about this, right now you’re not.” He said staring up at her.
“You’re right, why are you always right?” Evangeline said tucking his hair behind his ears.
“I’m not always right, I make my fair share of mistakes. I do know that what you went through is truly traumatic and will have a lasting impression on how you do things from now on.”
“Yes it will. It hurts just to think about it. I can still feel his hands around my neck.” She said swallowing and looking up at the ceiling.

John moved in closer and placed his hands on her shoulders, “He can’t hurt you any more. No matter what you think he can’t hurt you. You have me to protect you and yourself. You’re stronger than you know baby.”
“I just have to keep believing that, if you say it’s true about me then I know it has to be.”

John stood up and kissed her forehead, “I know you like the back of my hand.” He said chuckling softly as he walked back to his seat.
Evangeline turned around to face him and smiled as she wiped at her eyes, “You do and I know you.” She said with a wink, “I knew you would be relentless in this.”
John faked shock, “What me, never….” He said shaking his head, “I just want you to be okay, be whole again and until you can deal with this you won’t be. I’ll call Detective Benson as well okay?” He asked making sure that his actions were okay with her.

Evangeline nodded and smiled at him, “How do you know what to do?” she questioned smiling at him.
“I do what comes natural and protecting and loving you is something that’s natural.” He said with a wink.
Evangeline blushed and lowered her head down to her food, “This looks amazing.”
“It tastes amazing too, if I can pat my own back I’d say I did a fantastic job.”
“You’re quite the chef aren’t you?”
“Someone has to be in this family.” John said laughing.

Evangeline looked up at him and reached for his hand, “We are a family aren’t we?”
“You better believe it.” He said kissing the back of her hand over and over again. Evangeline squeezed his hand and then released it, “Well I guess we should eat huh?”
“You up to it?”
“I’m starved! Of course I’m up to it.”
“Well dig in.” John said nodding at her plate.

~

John stood out on the back porch staring at the trees that canopied over their cottage. He though about clearing some of them out so that the stars would shine through. Looking up he let out a deep sigh and said a silent prayer that they would be able to get through this together. He knew exactly what it was like not to remember a specific time period. He was still trying to remember what happened to him the same night of Todd’s party.

He heard her footsteps come out onto the porch and smiled, “Aren’t you cold?” Evangeline asked hugging her body as she walked up to him. John shook his head and continued to stare out into the dark forest that their house sat on. She walked up wrapping her arms around his waist and gently rubbing his chest as she rested her head against his back. “I was thinking of expanding this place.” He said stroking the back of her hands.

“Why?” she mumbled kissing his back over and over.
“For the kids.”
“Huh?”
“I want to bring them here each summer. Clear out some of these trees, build a tree house down the way. I think if I do that the lake might be closer then having to go all the way around.”
Evangeline moved from his back and stood next to him resting against the railing of the porch, “You’ve been thinking about this a lot huh?” she asked gently stroking his face.
John turned his head into the palm of her hand and kissed it, “I think about it a lot.”

Evangeline giggled as John moved his hand to her stomach and ran his thumb up and down it pushing her shirt up, “I can’t wait.” He said smiling down at her.
“You are one amazing man John McBain, and I personally can’t wait to carry our children.”

John moved in front of her and knelt down as he pushed up her shirt, “I can’t wait to watch your stomach grow and feel the baby move.” He said kissing her stomach and rubbing his face against it.
Evangeline ran her hands through his hair, “How about three am feedings, and smelly diapers, teething, baby spit up all over your designer shirts.” She said laughing.
John laughed as well, “All that and hearing their first words, watching them take their first steps, I want to be apart of it all.” He said looking up at her.
“And you will be. Are you going to stay out here much longer?” She asked as John rose up to kiss her on the lips.

“Going to bed?” He asked fingering her hair.
“Not yet, but it’s a little chilly out here I was thinking of going in and reading or maybe finishing my painting.”
“No red!” he said watching her move back to the house.
Evangeline shot him a wink but didn’t say anything about not adding red to the painting. John rolled his eyes and shook his head as she turned back to imagine what this place would look like, sound like with a house full of their kids.

~

“Yeah mom, we’re coming back early.” John said as they zipped down the highway on the way back to the city.
“Johnny, what’s going on is Evangeline okay?” Eve asked panicked.
“She’s fine mom. I finally convinced her to talk with someone other than the police about what happened.”
“Oh good, can I speak with her please.” Eve said walking through the house and nodding at the decorator that was there to redo the living room, dining room and kitchen of their brownstone.

John looked over at Evangeline who was singing along to some oldie’s song he didn’t know. It was her hour to pick the station so she got to listen to the oldie’s station, “It’s my mom.” He said passing her the cell phone. Evangeline smiled as she took the phone and turned down the music on her side of the car.

“Eve?”
“Evangeline hun are you okay?”
Evangeline reached over and grabbed John’s hand on the gear shift, “I’m fine, your son here is taking excellent care of me. Treating me like a queen.” John leaned over and kissed her cheek then turned back to the road.
“Well he’s good at that. What’s the real reason you all are coming home so early.” She questioned fingering at fabric swatches and paint samples.
Evangeline turned and stared out the side window at the cars they passed and wished that John would slow down, “I can remember some of the things that he did to me Eve. I told John and he insisted that we come back so that I can talk with someone.”
“Oh honey!” Eve said covering her mouth and sitting on one of the sofas that a furniture designer had sent over for her to try out, “No, that’s horrible, but good at the same time. So you’ve told the police this and what now?”

Evangeline nodded, “Well I haven’t talked with the police yet. John wanted to make sure I talked with someone first before talking with them.”
“Good, good. Well tell my boy that I’m very proud of him and I love him and you as well Evangeline.”
Evangeline looked over at John and kissed his cheek, “I love you too Eve thank you. We’ll see you soon.”
“I hope.” Eve hung up the phone and set it on the couch next to her.

“Eve!” Thomas yelled walking through the brownstone reading the latest financial reports.
“In here Thomas.” She called after him.
Thomas walked in rubbing his temples and threw the papers onto the couch, “What on earth are you doing?” he asked staring at all of the swatches and paint samples that crowed their living room.
“Redecorating I told you I was going to do that, why are you home?” she asked matching paint samples with fabric swatches.
“I needed a break from the office, have you spoken with your son. I’m worried about the two of them.

Eve looked over at Thomas and smiled, “Just got off the phone with them both.”
“I heard they went to that cottage thingy of theirs in the country. I thought they didn’t have cell service that far out. Why he insists on that place is beyond me. We have houses in half of the country and he goes to some place where there is no phone and barely electricity.” He huffed.
Eve shook her head at him, “Seriously Thomas. That’s their home away from home they like it there, leave them alone.” She said laughing, “But guess what.”
“What’s that hun?” he asked picking the papers back up and going through them.

Eve walked over and took the papers out of his hand and sat down next to him, “She remembers.” She said softly.
Thomas looked at her confused, “She who?”
“Evangeline silly, she remembers what happened to her.”
“Oh god…” Thomas closed his eyes and shook his head, “This is good but not all at the same time. How is she handling it?”
“Your son is taking care of her like he should be. He’s taking her to see someone about it and then to the police.”

Thomas stood and paced back and forth, “No…no… I don’t want her to have to testify in his case.”
“But Thomas!” Eve spoke up.
Thomas held out his hand to silence her, “No, she’s not to testify in that case. The DA and the police have enough evidence so that they don’t need her.”
“What if she wants too, you can’t stop her.”
“I can sure as hell try. What she went through is traumatic enough I don’t want her on the stand recalling the events. I had hoped she wouldn’t remember so she couldn’t be called.”
“You can’t stop her, you know Evangeline she has a mind of her own and trying to prevent her from doing something just makes her more determined. A trait I think your son admires and finds attractive in her.”

Thomas smiled and kissed the top of Eve’s head, “I’m still going to go talk to the DA and find out the status of the case. That boy is still locked up thank the lord, and if he gets free so help him….” Thomas mumbled walking away from Eve and her mound of fabric swatches and paint samples.

~

“So I had Janet call in the resident psychologist to help you.” John said as he pulled up to the hospital.
“You what, no…. John!” She said hitting his arm, “I could have waited till Monday.”
“Nope, you are going to start dealing with this right now.” He said as they pulled into the parking garage. Evangeline sighed and rolled her eyes as she stepped out of the car, “Plus she’s charging me double so no worries.” He said reaching for her hand and slipping it around his waist.

Evangeline held on to John as they rode the elevator up the floors to his office. They stepped out onto the seventh floor and turned heading to Dr. Sanders’ office. John pushed open the door and headed in after Evangeline, “Mr. McBain…?” Dr. Sanders said smiling at them both.

John extended his hand to the women in her mid forties with black hair and brown eyes. She stood about five foot four and looked to be in her mid thirties rather than her mid forties. “I take it you’re Evangeline.” She said turning to her.
Evangeline nodded and shook her hand, “It’s a pleasure to meet you dear.” She said smiling at her. “Thank you, and thank you again for agreeing to come in on a Sunday and meeting with me. I think my boyfriend here took liberties only his last name could provide.” She said stroking John’s chest.

John leaned down and kissed her temple, “Hey I’m only trying to help.”
“Well it appears you two have a very positive relationship. John informed me of what happened to you and how you were having nightmares is that right?”
“Yes it is. They’ve gotten worse over the past few nights.”
“So bad as to now you can remember what happened?”
“Yes.” Evangeline said softly.

Dr. Sanders reached out and touched her hand, “I’m here to help, we’ll only talk about what you want to talk about. Nothing more nothing less. You are in control of our sessions. I’m here to help you put into perspective everything that has occurred over the past week and help you learn coping strategies for the future. You are a strong woman and you did nothing wrong.” She said squeezing her hand.
“Thank you…”
“Well let’s get started. John we’ll be about an hour or so.”

John let go of Evangeline and turned to her, “I’ll be on the fifth floor when you get done, okay?”
“Okay…”
“Okay.” He said before kissing her lips and smoothing her hair down. “Keep her safe please.” He said to Dr. Sanders as he kept his eyes on Evangeline.
“That’s one of my goals.” She said winking at them both. “You ready?”
“Sure…”

~
“Lauren it’s your turn sweetie.” John said as he called over the little girl.
“I don’t wanna…” she mumbled shaking her head back and forth her hands tucked tightly under her arm pits, “It’s messy.” She whined.

John put down the small paint brush he had and smiled, “It washes off hun.”
“No!” she said sticking her bottom lip out.
“We’re making it for you mommy and your daddy. Don’t you want to make them something pretty?”
“Yes.” She said swishing back and forth in her hospital gown covered with a paint smock.
“Well how about this we’ll just do one hand okay? And if you don’t like it then will stop. But look around at all the other pictures that your friends have made don’t you want to make one too?” he asked sweetly.

Lauren looked around the room at the paintings hanging up on a line drying and smiled. John had spent the hour waiting on Evangeline to give the kids in the pediatric wing a little bit of fun. Their normal art teacher agreed to let John come in and finger paint with a few of the kids that had missed their art therapy earlier in the week.

He spent the time finger painting with the kids and trying to keep the paint off his shirt and pants. He should have changed or at least put on a smock to keep from getting messy. Now Lauren the last little girl didn’t want to paint and he thought it would be a great way for her to have fun. She had sat in the back watching the other little girls and boys paint and she didn’t laugh once not even when Jack fell in some paint getting it all over his butt.

“Just one hand?” She said holding out her right hand.
“Just one hand…” John said nodding and taking her hand. “What color?”
“Purple!” she said smiling at him.
John smiled and winked at her as he painted her hand with purple paint. This was the first time he’d seen the little girl smile all hour. “Ready?”
“It’s cold.”
“Yeap but it’s okay trust me?” John asked turning her hand over to press it onto the paper.
“Yeap.” She smiled as he pushed her hand on the paper and then let it up, “Wow cool!” she said giggling and turning her other hand over, “Do this hand too!”

John sat back on his heels and raised an eyebrow at the little five year old, “You sure!” He said with a half smile, “You said only one hand.”
“Please John! It’s fun, I wanna do my other hand please.” She squealed bouncing up and down.
“Okay, okay… you twisted my arm. Purple on this hand too?”
“No! Blue!” she said sticking her hand out.
“Blue it is.”

“Can I be next?” Evangeline asked walking into the room.
“Hey you.” John stood up and kissed her quickly before turning back to Lauren. “You sure can be next.” He said winking.

“Look John!” Lauren said smiling at her painting.
“That is beautiful Lauren. I’d like you to meet someone. Lauren Morrow, this is Evangeline Williamson. Evangeline this is Lauren!”
Evangeline placed her hand out to shake Lauren’s and Lauren held it back, “Your hands are all painty!” Evangeline said laughing.
“Yeap John’s helping me paint. More paint John!” she said bouncing and sticking her hands out to him.

“Excuse me pretty lady but I need to help this one paint!” John said in a southern drawl and winked at her.
“Can I watch you paint Lauren?”
“Yeap.” She said smearing her hands over the paper and making something that neither Evangeline nor John could tell what it was. John laughed when Lauren wiped her hand against her face and got purple paint on her nose.
“Umm Lauren?”
“Yeap?” she said keeping her hands on the paper.
“You umm… have paint on your nose sweetie.” John said smiling at her.
“Oh, get it off!” she squealed. “Get it off!”
“Okay okay.” John reached for a baby wipe and got the paint off her nose. “All gone.” He said winking at her.

Evangeline watched as John interacted with her and smiled. She touched her stomach and thought about what Dr. Sanders had said in their session. The best way to get through this was to have a strong support system. With John and his family as well as her own she knew they could get through anything.

Telling Dr. Sanders everything she remembered about that night seemed to lift a weight off her shoulders. It was no longer a burden she had to bear on her own but one she could let others help with. Telling John would be hard but it had to be done and sooner rather than later. He was the one that would be her rock through this and she loved him more and more each day for it.

~ 6 weeks later

“So Todd and Andrea have really hit it off huh?” John asked as he walked around helping Evangeline straighten up before they had Andrea and Todd over for dinner.
Evangeline looked over her shoulder as she finished sweeping the floor and smiled, “Yeah she’s having fun with him. He’s showing her around New York and it’s nice to have a friend a girl friend here in town from way back.”

“I was just thinking Pizza and a movie?” John asked putting the dishes away.
“Sounds good to me. Did you have fun at the hospital today?”
John set the dishes down and turned to look at her, “The more time I spend there the more time I admire the kids that have to go through such heart wrenching illnesses. They don’t deserve it and I’m amazed that you’re going to work with kids like that.”
“You’re right they don’t deserve it but that’s why I’m going into Pediatrics.” She said winking at him.

John nodded and turned back to placing the dishes away. “All done” he said clapping his hands, “What else needs to be done?”
“Nothing much else, you chill. I know you’ve been working your butt off to get this place in tip top shape.” She said kissing his lips.

John placed his hands on her hips pulling her close causing her to drop the broom in her hands. “mmmm…. McBain…” She sighed feeling his hands go around her hips to her back and squeeze her butt. John let his tongue slip slowly into her mouth seeking her tongue. Evangeline ran her hands through his dark locks pulling at his head as she wrapped her leg around his waist grinding slowly into him.

“We should stop.” John said turning his head.
“Why?”
“I don’t wanna push it’s only been seven weeks Van.”
“I’m okay…” she said turning his head to hers. “I’m really okay.”
“Have you talked to Dr. Sanders about this.”
“What?”
“Us being intimate, I mean what does she think?”
“She says when I’m ready I’ll know.” Evangeline said kissing his lips and pushing him back to the couch.

“Wait… wait…wait…” John said stopping her.
“What? What is it?”
“Two things, one we have company coming and two when we do this I want it to be special not rushed.” He said stopping her.
“Oh.” She said pulling free.

John reached out and grabbed her wrist. “I am in no way pushing you away for any reason but to make sure that you are truly ready for this.” He whispered against her ear.
“I know.”
“Do you?” He asked softly.
Evangeline turned around and forced a smile, “Yeah I do. Thank you.” She said stroking the side of John’s face, “I’m going to go finish getting ready. You hang out okay.” She kissed his lips softly before going into the bedroom.

~

“No, no that’s not how it happened!” Todd shouted over the roars of laughter for John, Evangeline and Andrea.
“Okay, okay Manning why don’t you tell us the real reason you ended up on the football field buck naked!” Evangeline said laughing and pointing.
Todd stepped down from the coffee table and glared at her, “I can’t believe you brought that up Van! Man some friend you are.” He said rolling his eyes.
“Oh don’t pout Manning. It’s the only incriminating story I have on you! Plus you know enough about me to write a whole book. John too!” She said pointing at him.

John shook his head and shot Evangeline a dangerous glare, “Keep your mouth shut Evangeline!” he said pointing at her.
“What you don’t want me to tell them that time we were on the roof having a little fun.” Evangeline started and then saw John dive across Andrea to shut her up. “Don’t you dare.” He said staring down at her with his hand over her mouth.

Evangeline squealed with laughter and pulled his hand away, “What?” she said staring at up at him.
“You were about to tell everyone that…”
“What John?” Andrea asked as she pushed his legs from off of her.
John looked over his shoulder at her and glared at her, “I’m not saying a word and neither are you!” he said turning back to look at Evangeline.

Evangeline pushed John off of her and he moved to sit behind her holding her close, “Keep your mouth shut Evangeline or I’ll be forced to tell Todd and Andrea about your little adventure at the club a year ago.” He whispered.
Evangeline’s head flung around and she pushed at his chest, “Don’t you dare!” she said getting into his face. “Don’t you dare.”
“What you can dish it out but you sure can’t take it.” He said laughing.

Evangeline huffed and turned around folding her arms against her chest, “Can we please move on from embarrassing stories of each other now?”
“Yeah, that’s fine with me seeing as Evangeline here is the only one that knows anything embarrassing about me.” Andrea said winking at Evangeline.
“Can I ask something that might be a touchy topic?” Todd asked sipping his beer.

Evangeline looked back at John and then back at Todd, “What’s that Todd?”
“You’re sessions with Dr. Sanders how are those going?” he asked honestly caring about her well being.
John hugged her body and kissed her shoulder, “You don’t have to say anything if you don’t want to.” He said softly.
Evangeline shook him off and smiled at Todd, “It means a lot to me Todd that you care enough to ask.”
“I’ve wanted to ask since you told Andrea and me that you remembered what happened and gave the police your account, I just didn’t wanna push.”
“It’s not pushing Todd you care and I’m grateful for both you and Andrea. But things are going real good with her. I’m learning a lot about myself and how I cope.”
“Good, good.” Todd said smiling. “What else has she taught you?”

“Not really taught just helped me understand something I kinda already knew, that family is the best. I talked with my mom and Layla about what happened and of course they both freaked but they knew that I have John and you as well as Andrea, Eve and Thomas.” She said reaching out and grabbing Todd’s hands. “It’s been really tough going for a while but I’m making it, slowly but surely.” She said with a wink.

“You know that if you need anything from me you let me know.” Todd said leaning over and kissing Evangeline on the forehead, “Absolutely anything. That schmuck you love screws up you let me know I have no problem whipping him into shape for you.” He said giving John a head nod.
“Oh I think I can handle my man, isn’t that right honey.” Evangeline said with a sarcastic grin as she kissed his lips. “He wouldn’t dare mess up now.”
“Never.” John mumbled kissing her deeply on the lips. Evangeline turned all the way around in John’s arms placing her arms around his neck and parting his lips with her tongue slowly sliding it into his mouth. John moaned as she pushed them onto the cushioned floor crawling on top of him.

“Ummm I think that’s our cue to leave.” Andrea whispered pushing Todd in the arm.
“Uh yeah think.” He said rolling his eyes and climbing off the floor. “You know we could go back to my place and engage in a little extracurricular activity as well.” He said grabbing her waist and walking her to the elevator.
“I like the way you think Manning.” Andrea said looking over her shoulder. Todd stopped them at the elevator and kissed her softly on the lips, “You still have a few things at my place we can stop and get you a toothbrush on the way.”
“Kay.” She said giggling.
“Kay!” he said laughing as he slammed the elevator doors closed and pushed the button to go back down.

~

John rolled them over pinning Evangeline to the floor and kissing her face and neck and down the opening of her button down shirt, “Mmm… I’ve missed this.” He said massaging her breasts from the outside of her shirt.
Evangeline moaned against his kisses pushing her body against his, feeling his manhood harden against the inside of her thigh, “John…wait.” She said softly turning her head and scooting away from him.
“I’m sorry!”
“No, no… silly.” She said laughing and pushing her shirt, “I just don’t want to do this on the floor.”
“Oh!” John said laughing. “Why don’t we clean up and then move to the bedroom.” He said grinning at her.
“I thought you wanted to make it special?” she asked confused.
“Oh I do, I’m not talking about making love to you tonight, just a little make out session.” He said pulling her from the floor.

Evangeline smiled and ran her hands up and down his chest, “Why don’t we ummm go to the bedroom now and leave this mess for tomorrow.” She said pulling him along.
“You sure? I know how you hate a messy kitchen.” John said stumbling over the pillows and blankets they put on the floor for their guests.
“Oh yeah I’m most definitely sure, Todd and Andrea are gone, and we’re all alone… Just the way I like it.” She said slowly unbuttoning her shirt.

John watched as her shirt slid slowly off her arms and to the floor his breath caught from the sure beauty that was his Evangeline and he pulled of his shirt throwing it behind him, “Are you sure I don’t want to rush you.”
Evangeline sat on the bed and scooted back, “We’re just making out like we used to when we first started, nothing more got it!” she said staring at him.
John shook his head quickly and jumped on the bed after her. Evangeline laughed as she rolled on top of him pushing his hair from his eyes, “Have I told you today how much I love you?”

John cupped her face pulling it to hers, “You don’t ever have to tell me that again.”
“What?” She said looking at him confused.
“I know you love me, you look at me and I see love.” He said softly. “You’re my other half.”
Evangeline’s eyes started to tear and they slowly rolled down her cheeks, “I think that is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever said to me.”
“The words are easy when it comes to you. I look at you and the words just spill out.”

Evangeline sat back on her heals and stared down at him, “What did I say something wrong?” John questioned rubbing his hands up and down her legs.
“No…no… nothings wrong at all, it just amazes me how much you really know me and how much I really know you.” She said softly.
“I told you, you’re my other half baby.” John sat up and stared at her before kissing her softly pulling at her bottom lip with his. He pulled back and gazed upon his other half smiling softly back at him.

Evangeline threaded her hands through his hair pulling at the ends, “Will you just hold me tonight?”
“Is that what you want?”
Evangeline rested her forehead against his scooting loser onto his lap, “It’s what I want, you’re what I want, you’re what I’ll always want.”
John ran his hands up her back pulling her close and falling back on the pillows with Evangeline wrapped in his arms. “I’ll do whatever you want me to do.”
“Just hold me, just hold me Johnny.” She said softly holding onto him for dear life afraid that something was out there that would pull him away from her. She closed her eyes kissing his bare chest and made a silent promise to him and their love, she would fight. No matter what it was, when it came or in what form she would fight to hold onto what they had right here in this moment.
“I’m never letting you go, you know that right?” John asked running his hands up and down her back.
Evangeline nodded into his chest and kissed his collar bone, “I know John, I know.”
Surprise by OLTLfantimes10
6 weeks later~

John walked into the bedroom to a sleeping Evangeline. Her MCAT book lying next to her, that had become a staple in their bed the past four weeks and it was time that she take a break from all the studying. Setting his coffee mug on her night stand John picked it up and put it on the floor under the bed. Leaning over he nuzzled her neck placing soft tender kisses along her jaw line, “Wake up beautiful.” He mumbled.
“Five more minutes.” Evangeline moaned turning over and pushing John away. She stuck her hand in his face and John couldn’t help but laugh as she hit him over and over again trying to get more sleep.

The nightmares were far and few between and she was grateful for that because she had the MCAT’s coming up soon. It was her second time taking it the first time she got a pretty good score but not high enough at least she thought. Pushing John’s head away she turned to face his side of the bed before pulling the covers over her head.

John pulled the covers all the way back throwing them to the floor at the end of the bed. He then crawled on top of her and gently started nibbling at her ear, “I have a surprise for you, but you have to get up.”
Evangeline turned around up under him with wide eyes, “A surprise! I love surprises.” She said grinning at him. “What is it?”

John smiled down at her and leaned down to kiss her nose, “Get up Andrea will be here in about twenty minutes.”
“Twenty minutes!” She squealed pushing at his chest. John rolled off of her in a huff and laughed as she jumped out of the bed and ran into the bathroom, “Twenty minutes John how could you only give me twenty minutes!” She yelled at him.
“What it only takes me twenty minutes to get ready.” He said chuckling and reaching for his coffee.
“You’re not a girl!” she said sticking her head out of the bathroom and shaking her head at him.
“I should have known, but trust me you’ll wanna be ready in twenty minutes when she gets here.” He said with a wink before walking out of the bedroom.
“John!” She yelled after him. When he didn’t answer she slammed the bathroom door shut and let out an ear piercing scream. He was always doing this.

~

“Thanks so much for going with her.” John said hugging Andrea as she walked into the apartment.
“This should be a lot of fun John, how did you convince her to go?”
“She doesn’t know.” He said laughing and offering her some coffee.

Andrea waved him off and sat on the stool around the counter top, “You mean she’s going to.”
He held up her hand to interrupt her and shook his head, “Shh… she doesn’t know.” He whispered, “I want it to be a surprise. I have Jean Claude meeting you guys there he’s the best in the business and then Paul later.”

Andrea reached out and touched John’s hand, “You are too good for her, you know that.” She said smiling.
“No, she’s too good for me.” He said with a wink. “I just hope she doesn’t mind this.”
“Mind what!” Evangeline said coming out of the bedroom.

John looked up at her with a huge smile on his face, “You look beautiful.” He said walking up to her. Evangeline stood in a mid thigh length lavender sun dress. The bottom spun around in ripples around her legs and her hair was in spiral curls down her back framing her face perfectly. She barely had on any makeup just a light shimmery lipstick. He stared at her from the top of her head to the bottom of her toes and marveled, “I’m not letting you leave the house like this.” He whispered running his hands up and down her shoulders as he walked around her body.

Evangeline looked over her shoulder and bit the bottom of her lip, “Just so you know I have a little surprise for you as well.” She said stepping out of his embrace.
She walked up to Andrea and hugged her tightly, “I’ve missed you the past week, how were the Hamptons?”
“Good, good… Had me a little fun with Mr. Manning.” She said beaming.
Evangeline reached out and touched her best friends hair and saw her glowing, “You have this glow about you.”
“That’s what Todd does to you, are you ready?”
“Let me get my purse.” She said kissing her cheek. Evangeline turned on her heeled sandals and dashed past John who stood speechless watching her.

“Pick your jaw up off the floor McBain.” Andrea said laughing.
John shook his head and looked over at Andrea, “How on earth does she do that.”
“What?”
“Still after all this time take my breath away.” He said in disbelief. John ran his hand through his hair as he walked back over to the counter top picking up his coffee.
“You really do love her.” Andrea said smiling at John.
“I do, and I plan on showing her that the rest of our lives together. Today is just the first step in that.”
Andrea touched John’s shoulder giving it a brief squeeze, “Van hun come on!” she yelled.

Evangeline came running out quickly with her purse in hand, she leaned over and kissed John quickly on the lips and then turned to Andrea, “Ready, where are we going?”
“I have no clue John set this up.”
“Liar.” She said with a wink. “Let’s go…” she said grabbing Andrea’s hand and pulling her along.

“Hey!” John called after her.
“Yes baby.” She said smiling and stopping at the elevator.
“My surprise?”
Evangeline sauntered up to him and ran her hands up and down his chest. She leaned over brushing her breasts against his chest and getting dangerously close to having John cancel her morning and afternoon out, “Later McBain. Trust me.”
John let out a sigh feeling her lips graze across his ear, “With my life.”
“Good, see you later. I love you McBain.”
“I love you too.” He said kissing her cheek.

“Umm excuse me you two, but don’t we have a schedule to keep McBain?” Andrea asked looking at her watch.
John put his hands on Evangeline’s hips and pushed her away, “Go, now.” He said chuckling to himself.
Evangeline nodded and leaned in to kiss John softly on the lips. She reached up and wiped her lipstick from his lips and smiled, “Later.”
“Later.” He whispered.

~
“Where are we going?” Evangeline asked as she looked out the window.
“Don’t know.” Andrea said as she played on her PDA. “All I know is John told me to be at your place at ten and that’s when I was there.”

Evangeline turned to look at her friend and looked her up and down, “Why are you lying?” Evangeline asked folding her arms over her chest.
“Not lying, I honestly don’t know.” Andrea replied keeping her eyes on the small computer screen.

Evangeline put her hand over Andrea’s PDA to get her attention, “What were you two talking about while I was getting ready?”
“Just this and that.” She said winking at her
Evangeline let out a deep frustrated sigh and rolled her eyes, “I hate when people don’t tell me what’s going on.”
“Just sit back and relax from what I gather your man friend has something planned and it’s pretty big if he won’t even tell me.”
“Fine.”

The car stopped and Evangeline looked out the window, “What on earth!” she said looking back at Andrea. Andrea moved to sit behind Evangeline and squeezed her shoulders, “Surprised?”
“Why are we here?” he asked looking over at Andrea.
“Get out and we’ll go see.” She said pushing her out of the car.

Evangeline stepped out with Jason’s help and smoothed down the sides of her dress. She reached for Andrea’s hand and linked their arms. “John asked you to bring us to Tiffany’s?” she asked staring at Jason confused.
“Yes ma’am. If you need anything let me know.”
Andrea pulled Evangeline into the store, “Come on…”
“No…” Evangeline said trying to pull back.
“Van it’s fine they are expecting us.”
“No…” she said again.
“Evangeline Katarina Williamson you stop being a baby and come on.”
“I don’t like where this is going.” She said shaking her head.

“You don’t even know what we’re doing here.”
“I have some idea.” Evangeline said as she was dragged into the store. “I have some idea.”

Andrea rolled her eyes and continued to pull Evangeline into the store. She stopped placing her hands on her hips and quickly scanned the lobby, “Over here!” she said pulling at Evangeline’s hand.
“Andrea what is going on?” She asked in a hushed tone.
“We are having brunch and then something else.” She said shooting a wink at Evangeline, “Now stop being a baby and come with me.”
“Fine.” Evangeline walked behind Andrea slowly as she led them to the small restaurant in Tiffany’s. The hostess asked their name and Andrea gave John’s last name. The hostess smiled at them both and escorted them to a small table in the corner of the restaurant. “Enjoy your meals ladies if you need anything let Andres know.” She said with a bright smile.
“Who’s Andres, what are we doing here you can’t afford this.”
“Our meal is paid for now hush and enjoy the atmosphere, it’s absolutely gorgeous in here isn’t it Van.” Andrea said looking around and marveling at the décor of the place.

They sat in deep burgundy cushioned seats with high backs carved out what looked to be a deep Mahogany color wood. One the ceiling hung one large chandelier in the middle with small baby chandeliers accenting the grand chandelier. The floor was a pristine hardwood with no scratches or light spots. They both marveled at how graceful and elegant the dining room was and smiled at each other, “Can you believe we’re having brunch at Tiffany’s!” Andrea said excited.

“John did this?”
“Yeah and there’s more, are you okay?” She asked reaching out and touching Evangeline’s hand.
“Fine, I just can’t believe he did this for me.” She said stunned still.
“He’d give you anything you ask for.”
“But I didn’t ask for this, I could have enjoyed a quiet morning at home with you and Todd.”
Andrea smiled as their waiter brought out fresh squeezed orange juice and an assortment of muffins and Danishes, “True but he wanted to do something special for you and I think you like it even though your face tells a different story.”
Evangeline smiled and shook her head, “I love it, I’ve always wanted to do this since I moved to New York, I just never thought that I would actually get to do it.”
“Well sit back and relax hun we’re in for a full day of surprises.”

Evangeline smiled and sunk in to the deep cushion of the booth sliding her hands across the soft material and smiling at Andrea. They dined on a feast fit for at east eight not two. They ate course after course of fruit trays, then a meat and cheese tray, followed by their choice of either waffles, pancakes or an omelet. The orange juice was continuous and by the end of their meal they both had look of exhaustion on their faces.

“I’m stuffed!” Evangeline said patting and rubbing he stomach.
Andrea laughed and did the same, “So am I. I’m going to have to do ten miles on the bike tomorrow instead of my usual five. Man they can cook here.” She said scratching her head.
“That was fantastic, I don’t think I’ve ever had an omelet that good before. What’s next?”
Andrea looked at her watch and smiled, “We finished with just enough time where we can stroll to our next destination.”
“What would that be?” Evangeline asked rising from her seat.
“Follow me my dear.” Andrea grabbed her hand and pulled Evangeline out of the restaurant thanking the hostess and Andres on their way out.

“Where are we going?” Evangeline whispered holding on to Andrea tightly as they both waddled down the hallway.
“Shhh….” Andrea said as she pushed a door open leading to the jewelry floor.
“Madame Hoffstell?” The man in an Armani suit asked walking up to Andrea and Evangeline.
“Yes.”
“Ah, Bon jour, my name is Jean Claude, and you must be Madame Williamson.” He asked looking over at Evangeline and taking her hand kissing it lightly.
“Yes, Jean Claude?”
“Oui, ladies please follow me.” He said directing them to a small glass covered table and cushioned stools. “Please.” He said pulling them out so that both Evangeline and Andrea could take a seat.

“So I understand we are here for a ring sizing.”
“What!” Evangeline exclaimed shocked, “No, I think you have the wrong people.” She shook her head quickly and tried to stand up.
“That’s right. John McBain set this up for us.” Andrea said yanking at Evangeline’s arm pulling her back to the table.
“Ah yes one of my best customers. I see you have the locket I made for Mr. McBain around your neck.” He said pointing to it.
Evangeline raised her hand to touch the locket, “You made this? This is from here.” She stammered.
“AH yes…” Jean Claude said looking at her confused, “I take it Mr. McBain did not tell you that. He is so shy about purchasing things from us. That’s a one of a kind you know. He created the design on the front and back.”
Evangeline touched her locket holding it tightly in her hands as her eyes started to tear up. John never told her that, she swallowed stunned by his admission and then looked over at Andrea, “He never told me that.” She said softly.
“A man’s gotta have some secrets now doesn’t he?” Andrea said.

“So my dear lets first see what size ring you are. Then I have some selections that Mr. McBain has picked out for you.”
“John picked out rings?”
“Oui Madame. Did he not tell you why you were here ladies?”
Evangeline shook her head and Andrea nodded her head, “I knew she didn’t.” Andrea said poking Evangeline in the arm.
“How could you know this and not tell me!” Evangeline squealed.
Andrea shrugged her shoulders and smiled, “Put your hand up there girl so that he can size you.”

Evangeline’s hand trembled as she placed it on the glass table top. Jean Claude pulled out a series of bands to size her finger, “Just like he thought. Mr. McBain sure knows you.” He said pulling out a selection of rings to try on.
“John picked these out!” Evangeline said shocked as she ran her hands over the set of five diamond rings that lined the tray.
“This is just the first tray, he was having a tough go at it. Saying that they none of them compared to you.”
“Really?”
“I can see why he would say such a thing. He asked that you try on the rings and if you can pick out at least five that you would like to have.”
“Five, oh no I couldn’t do that.” Evangeline shook her head trying to smile at Jean Claude
“I know this is a little nerve racking my dear but trust me. I do this a lot for my clients the McBain’s have been some of my favorite clients for the past years. I love creating pieces for Mr. McBain, Thomas, and Eve just loves jewelry.”

Evangeline smiled as he slipped the first ring on to her finger. Andrea gasped seeing the two carat emerald cut solitaire sitting on her finger. Evangeline’s hand shook under the magnificence of the ring and a tear rolled down her cheek, “It’s beautiful.”
“It’s one of my favorites. When he picked it out he thought you might like it.”
“I do, it’s amazing.” She said softly. “I can’t believe this.”

“You better believe it honey, you’re getting one of these.” Andrea said laughing. Evangeline looked at the line of rings speechless, she couldn’t believe that John had set this all up and she had no clue. Smiling weakly at Jean Claude she waited as he removed the ring on her finger and put a less impressive ring on her finger. She shook her head not liking it and Jean Claude smiled.
“What’s so funny?” Andrea asked.
“Mr. McBain said she wouldn’t like this one, it was my idea to put it in the line up.” He said chuckling.
“He knows my tastes apparently. Let’s get this show on the road!” Evangeline said finally feeling comfortable trying on the different rings.

After a while Andrea had finally helped Evangeline narrow down the three trays of rings down to one tray of five. She smiled at her selection making sure that one from another tray wouldn’t be any better than one on the tray of her selections, “Are you sure Madame?” Jean Claude asked smiling at them both.
Evangeline nodded and reached over hugging Andrea, “I think we did good, don’t you?” She questioned.

“Well you know me, I’m not that big into jewelry but any of the ones you picked out would look great on that finger of yours.” She said hugging her back.
Evangeline nodded wiping her tears from her eyes and rose from the seat, “It was a pleasure to help you both today.” Jean Claude said grinning at the both of them.
Evangeline shook Jean Claude’s hand and he leaned over to kiss both sides of each of their cheeks. “Is there anything else I can do for you?”

Evangeline looked around the store, “Men’s watches?”
Jean Claude raised his eyebrow and smiled, “Right this way ladies,” He said extending his hand towards the cases of Men’s watches. “We have a vast selection and it may take a moment to select one.”
“That one!” Evangeline said pointing at the watch in the case.
“You don’t want to…”
Evangeline looked up at him shaking her head, “That one… that one is him, wrap it up.”
“Charge it to the McBain’s account?” Jean Claude asked.
“No! I’ll pay for it.” Evangeline reached into her wallet and pulled out a credit card. Passing it to Jean Claude she waited impatiently for him to wrap it up. “He’ll love it.” Andrea said looking at the other watches in the case.

“I hope so, John’s done so much for me over these past three months. This is the least I can do, to repay everything that he’s put on hold to help me.”
“I don’t think you would have to repay him at all. Just loving him is repayment enough.” Andrea said smiling at her. “Ready?”
“Almost, Jean Claude is just getting the insurance forms I’ll need.”
“Okay, we’ll I’ll call Jason to have him meet us out front.”
“Cool.” Evangeline turned back and thanked Jean Claude kissing him on the cheeks like he did her earlier. She tucked the Tiffany’s box into her purse and smiled as she walked out a little extra in her step. So he was shopping for a ring, that meant he would he propose soon, she couldn’t wait to become Mrs. McBain.

Walking over to the car with a big grin on her face she slid into the car and looked over at Andrea “So what’s next?”
“You’ll see.” She said sinking into the leather seat of the couch.

~

The car pulled up to the Paul Labrecque Salon and Spa and Andrea turned to smile at Evangeline, “So we ate and shopped now we relax.” She said smiling at her.
Evangeline looked out the window, “Is he serious!”
“As a heart attack.”
“You have to wait like three months to get into this place. This is crazy and way too much.” She said shaking her head and reaching into her purse for her cell phone. Dialing John at home it went to the voice mail service so she hung up and called his cell phone.
“McBain.” John said walking through the art gallery trying to get ready for a show in the next few weeks.

“Baby….” Evangeline said frowning into the phone as she looked out the window to the salon and spa.
“Hey you, I didn’t expect to hear from you so soon. Everything okay?” He asked pointing to a wall for a painting to be hung. John stood in front of it with his hand on his hip trying to decide if it should be placed there or some place else.
“Stuffed but fine, this is too much John, really.”
“What do I always say I want to give you?” He asked turning his full attention to her.

Evangeline sighed and smiled, “The moon and the stars.”
“That’s correct and sense I can’t seem to get the moon out of the sky or get a star in a jar for you, this will have to do. I want you to have a good time today. You’ve been through a lot over the past three months and you are healing wonderfully but it’s time for some Evangeline time and I demand that you take it.” He said laughing.
“You demand it?”
“I do! This is the one and only time I’ll put my foot down, unless of course you want to name any of our kids with some crazy ass name.”
“Never.”
“Good then enjoy yourself Andrea too. It’s a girl’s afternoon out and I want you to enjoy it. Forget about the MCAT’s for the day and concentrate on yourself. The people in the salon are there to serve you. Don’t disappoint me I had mom pull a lot of strings to get you in there.”

Evangeline looked out the window and sighed, “Okay…”
“Okay?”
“Yes we’ll have fun. Listen though I want you at the Waldorf Astoria in your best suit and tie at seven tonight, got it!”
“The Waldorf really?”
“Yes really! Don’t be late and stand me up McBain.” She said with a half smile.
“I would never.” He said in a deep husky whisper, “Love you,”
“I love you.” She said smiling as they both stepped out of the town car.

Evangeline hung up her phone and took a deep breath. She reached for Andrea’s hand as they walked into the Salon and Spa. “Ah, Ms. Williamson, we’ve been waiting for you and your friend!” Paul Labrecque himself said coming up to the girls.
“Mr. Labrecque, it’s a pleasure.”
“Well when I get a personal call from Eve McBain herself saying that her future daughter in law needs a little relaxation with her best friend I can’t help but be here. We have a full afternoon planned for you two. I hope you guys had a good morning because you’re about to have a relaxing afternoon.” He said leading them through the back of the salon.

“What are we going to do?” Andrea asked as they stopped at the women’s locker room.
“Well, we have a massage first, a ninety minute Swedish massage unless there is a different type you want?”
“No, no that’s fine.” Evangeline said anxious to get started.
“After that a facial, then hair, makeup and finally a pedicure and a manicure.”
“Wow!” Andrea said softly, “He went all out.”
“Only the best for our customers. There are robes in there with your initials monogrammed on them which are yours to keep after today. After that Philippe will meet you both out here to take you to your rooms for your massages. If there is anything at all let me know. I’ll be doing your hair, both of you.”
“Wow, thank you!” Evangeline leaned over and kissed Paul’s cheek and then turned to go into the women’s locker room.

The girls spent the entire afternoon at the salon barely seeing each other as they were ushered around to treatment after treatment. The massages went on at the same time as did the facials. Later Evangeline got her hair done while Andrea got her finger and toe nails done and then they switched. They both ended up in the makeup chair together and finally made it back to the locker room. Evangeline had a dress that she was planning on wearing tonight sent over and dressed in it.

She stepped out of the locker room in the floor length cream gown with silver trim, the back dip low just above her butt her hair in full spiral curls with extensions to give it more body and length. Her locket sat against her chest dipping in to her cleavage as her small diamond earrings sparkled on her ears. Her makeup was done soft and delicately something she made sure the makeup artist did.

The gown flowed around her legs but hugged her hips and chest giving her more cleavage than she was used too. As she turned the corner Andrea looked at her stunned, “You look like a goddess.”
“Funny that’s what this dress is called. You like?”
“I love, when did you buy this?” Andrea asked feeling the silk satin blend of the dress.
“Earlier in the week. You think John will like it?”
“If he doesn’t there is something wrong with this boy. What are you trying to give him a heart attack?”
“No, no…” Evangeline said laughing. “Tonight’s the night.” She said softly.

Andrea looked at her confused, “The night for what?”
“It’s been three long months since I felt John’s arms around me in that way, I know I’m ready to make love to him again. So tonight’s the night.”
“Are you sure?”
“Most definitely, Dr. Sanders and I have been talking about it in our last sessions. I’m ready and I want to make love to my man.” She said beaming.
“Babe you’re glowin!” Andrea said squealing.
“He does that to me.” Evangeline said laughing.
Andrea leaned in and hugged her tightly kissing her cheek, “You look fantastic.” She whispered in her ear.
“Thank you, thank you for everything. I love you, you know that right?” she asked rubbing her friends back.
“Love you too Van. So very much.” She said holding back tears. “Let’s get you to the Waldorf Astoria!” Andrea said in a mock British accent.

Evangeline laughed and linked her arm with Andrea’s. They said their good byes and thanked everyone that did such amazing job on them this afternoon into early evening.
The car ride took longer than expected and Evangeline sat anxiously bouncing her leg as they finally pulled up to the hotel. “I’m sorry ma’am.” Jason said holding the door for her.
“It’s not your fault, it’s traffic.” She winked at him and said a quick good bye to Andrea before dashing into the hotel.

Evangeline stopped and scanned the lobby looking for John. He had his back to her as she finally spotted him in his best suit just like she asked. Walking up to him she tapped him on the shoulder and John turned around smiling at her. His smile dropped as he saw her standing in front of him in the most amazing dress he’d ever seen grace her body in all their time together. He took her hand kissing it gently still not able to speak. “Aren’t you going to say something?” She asked watching him curiously.

John lowered her hand and took a step back, “I honestly don’t know what to say babe.” He said staring at her.
“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”
“No…no… “He said quickly looking into her eyes. They were dusted with a silver eye shadow and it appeared that her eyelashes had grown in length, “It’s a good thing. You look like a goddess… If that is at all possible you’ve become even more beautiful than I remember.”

Evangeline blushed at his words and walked up to him. She snaked her arms around his neck and leaned her forehead against his and rubbed her nose against his, “Thank you.”
John ran his hands up and down her bare back feeling the silky smoothness of her skin and kissed her soft lips, “You’re quite welcome. What are we doing here?”
Evangeline laughed and smiled, “Having dinner and dessert.” She said softly as she fingered his hair.

John leaned back and eyed her suspiciously, “What do you have planned.”
“You’re not the only one full of surprises.” She said pulling him along to the dinning room.
John smirked and slipped his arm around her waist and kissed her bare shoulder. “It should be a crime to look this good.” He said stroking the side of her hip where a cut out was.
“Then arrest me and throw me in jail because I plan on looking this good for you as long as possible.”
John laughed out loud as the host came up and escorted them to their table. He pulled out Evangeline’s chair as John took his seat and smiled at her.

Evangeline laughed as she watched John continue to stare at her without remorse and reached across the table to take his hand, “I learned something interesting today.” She said rubbing his palm with her thumb.
“What’s that hun?”
“This.” She said touching her necklace.
“What about your locket?”
“You designed this John, why didn’t you ever tell me that?”
He shrugged his shoulder and turned her hand over to graze the inside of her palm with his finger.

“John really, you know this means a lot to me but to know that you created it, that you designed this from your own mind, is just too much babe.” She said smiling.

John moved his chair around to sit next to her, “I want you to know something.”
“What’s that?” she asked titling her head to the side.

John ran his hand down her face and back up again and smiled at her, “The first time I saw you in your dad’s office I went back to my room and drew you from memory. It was only a short period of time that I actually saw you but in those few moments I knew something to be true. You were and are the only person that can make my heart skip a beat. I would sit in class and draw this design.” He said touching her necklace.

“Draw it over and over again I just couldn’t get it out of my head like I couldn’t get you out of my head. This design and your eyes went together. So when you gave me a chance and I knew that I would never let you go I had Jean Claude create this for me and send it to school. This necklace was meant for you and only you. No one else could create such a beautiful pattern in my mind.”

He rested his forehead against hers as he wiped at her tears and kissed her lips softly. Evangeline sighed under his kiss and pulled him closer, “What do you say we skip dinner?” she asked breaking the kiss.
“You’re not hungry?”
“I’m starved but not for food.”
John looked at her confused and Evangeline stood from her chair, “She waved over their waiter and whispered something into his ear. He nodded and walked away and Evangeline extended her hand, “Care to join me.”
“Where?”
“Follow me, remember it’s my turn for surprises.” She said walking away with John’s hands on her hips. They walked to the elevator and she slid in her room key card and pushed the button for the penthouse.

John held her closer rubbing her stomach and kissing her shoulder over and over. Evangeline sighed as she tilted her head to the side and moved slowly back and forth as they rode up the elevator. As it dinged Evangeline moved out with John still holding her and moving her hair from her shoulder to kiss it the inside of her neck.

The door opened up and Evangeline closed it putting the do not disturb sign on the outside of the door. “John…” she sighed looking at him.
“Yeah?”
“I want something from you, something only you can give me.”
He stared at her confused, “What’s that?”
She walked up to him loosening his tie and then throwing it to the ground. She pulled off his jacked and threw it next to his tie, “I want you to make love to me John.” She said looking him in the eye.

John’s eyes lit up and his lips curled into a small smile, “Really?”
“I’m ready John, I want to make love to you.”
He pulled her close placing his hands on her hips and then wrapping them around her waist to rest on her back. He kissed her lips sliding his tongue gently into her mouth making sure she was truly ready for this. He had dreams about the moment she would come to him saying this to him.

His hand moved up her back and to the back of her neck tilting her head backwards so he could kiss down her jaw and neck. Evangeline sighed as she rubbed his back feeling his kisses move dangerously close to her to the tops of her breasts. His other hand dipped low squeezing her butt and pulling her closer, as close as humanly possible.

Evangeline moaned under his attack and started to walk them backwards to the bed. She pushed him onto the bed and John rubbed his sweaty palms on his pants watching her move about the room in a slow seductive manner. She pulled her hair from around her shoulders to rest against her back and pushed at the straps of her dress.

It slid off her body in one fluid motion and she stepped out of it staring at him naked accept for her panties and garter belt. Placing her left foot on the bed next to him Evangeline reached for John’s hands and placed them on her leg signaling him to take off her shoes and hose. John kept his eye trained on her as he slid her shoe off and then reached up to unsnap the hose from her garter belt. His hands moved down her leg rolling down the stocking as Evangeline’s eyes closed and she bit her lower lip.

John lowered her left leg and reached for her right placing it in his lap to do the same. When all that remained was her garter belt he stood up and Evangeline moved to slowly undress him. “I’ve had dreams about this.” He said softly as her nails scraped the soft flesh of his nipples and she bent forward to kiss them.
“Tell me about it?” She said reaching down and unbuckling his belt throwing it to the side with his shirt and undershirt.

She slid her hands into his pants grasping his manhood and gently stroking it to attention. “It was like this actually. You would come to me saying, make love to me John and I would comply. We would go slow taking our time to please each other, to please you.” He said softly as she pushed him on the bed and crawled on top.

Evangeline flipped her hair to the side as she lowered her mouth to his her breasts brushing against his, their nipples coming into contact sending a shockwave down both their backs. She pulled at his bottom lip with her teeth and gently sucked on it as John gripped her hips and then let his hands move around to her butt squeezing it gently.

Her kisses trailed from his lips to his jaw and to his ear, “Make love to me Johnny.” She whispered before sliding her tongue into his ear. John groaned as he felt her hand stroke the back of his manhood and gently squeeze his testicles. “Make love to me like you’ve wanted too for three long months Johnny.”

She teased her opening with the tip of his penis before sliding fully onto it. John grunted as her walls readjusted to his length and width. Placing her hands on either side of his body she rocked back and forth against his lap slowly taking him in. She wanted to prolong this as long as possible. John’s hands gripped the sheets underneath him and he turned his head to look at her.

Evangeline stared down at him her mouth open as his movements and the feeling of him again brought about the memories they shared when they did this dance. John placed one hand on her hip and the other in her head as he pulled her head down to his kissing her deeply, passionately, needing to feel ever inch of her again.

Her breasts moved against his chest and he let go of her head to gently massage and roll her nipples through his fingers. “Oh God…” She moaned as his hands worked magic against her breasts. “Baby…” she said holding onto the head board and rising up to slide all the way onto him.

John placed both hands on her breasts massaging and caressing the soft mounds as her head fell back her hair falling down her back and her hips rocking back and forth. John watched her mesmerized by the sounds she emitted and the movement of her hips. It was like they never missed a beat. His hands traveled down her stomach and back up the valley of her breasts as Evangeline fell forward and looked down at him.

Her hips picked up pace as she rocked quicker and pushed deeper onto his lap, “John…” She cried as he reached for the head board to hold onto the orgasm that demanded release.
“Not yet baby.” He said sitting up and bending his legs. John wrapped his arms around her body as he rocked back and forth matching her pace, creating friction against their pelvises, “I need…” he mumbled swallowing as his mouth sunk onto her right breast taking it into his mouth.
“Tell me what you need.” She moaned holding on to him and pulling at his hair.
“Only you, oh god only you….” He cried as she started to squeeze her walls around his member. “Evangeline let go… Let go…” he cried demanding her to release the both of them.

She nodded her head and vibrated her walls around his member helping him to release inside of her, “Let go baby.” She said softly against his ear as she released her orgasm.

John grunted into her chest as he felt his butt cheeks clench releasing inside of her the first time in three months. Her mouth fell open as she dug her newly manicured nails into his back and moaning in delight as they shared in a simultaneous climax.

He held her close bringing her down to the bed with him as Evangeline slid off his lap. She moved to his side laying on her stomach and turned her head towards John. John looked over at her and stroked the side of her face pushing her hair from her face. He kissed her lips and rested his forehead against hers, “This was the best surprise ever.” He said softly his eyes closed as he reached to pull her closer.
Evangeline moaned as she slid on top of him and kissed his bare chest, “Thank you for today.” She said softly as she circled his nipple with her finger. “I really needed it.”

John smiled kissing the top of her head as his hand moved up and down her back and finally rested on her butt, “I’m glad you had a nice time today.”
“I did.”
“Favorite part?”
She looked up at him and smiled. “Wait right here!” she jumped out of the bed rushed over to her purse. Turning on the stereo before climbing back into bed with him she handed him the Tiffany’s box.
“What is this?” He asked taking the box from her and looking at her confused.
“Open it.”
“It’s not my birthday, it’s too cold to be Christmas, our anniversary is in March and October, so what’s this for?”

Evangeline slid up under the covers and smiled at him, “For the past three months you have put up with so much, the therapy sessions, the crying spells, the night mares, and of course the lack of sex. This doesn’t even put a dent in how much you mean to me, it’s just a small token of what you truly mean to me John, open it.”
John smiled and nodded. He opened the box and pulled out the velvet watch box. Opening the box John’s eyes lit up and he turned to her, “This means so much to me I don’t think you know how much.” He said pulling her over and kissing her. “I love it, how did you know?”

“You really like it?” She said happily as she tucked his hair behind his ears.
“I do, this is fantastic Evangeline. Thank you.” He said kissing her quickly a few times before turning back to look at the platinum band watch with a blue diamond encrusted face. He slid it on and admired her taste in men’s watches.

“Oh I love this song. Dance with me!” She squealed climbing out of the bed and waving her hand at him.
John reached for his boxer shorts and slid it on and Evangeline put on his dress shirt. The Dixie Chicks song Lullaby played across the suite’s speakers as she drew him close wrapping her arms around his neck and resting her head against his shoulder.

They didn't have you where I come from
Never knew the best was yet to come
Life began when I saw your face
And I hear your laugh like a serenade

How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough, is forever enough
How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough
Cause I'm never, never giving you up


“Who is this?” John asked spinning Evangeline out and pulling her back to his chest her back to his chest. His hands dipped to her stomach rubbing the opening softly and nuzzling the inside of her neck.
“The Dixie Chicks.”
“Since when do you like country music?”
“I heard it one night while you were sleep and I had a nightmare. I crawled back in bed and you automatically reached for me pulling me up under you. It was like you knew that I needed to be held even when you were asleep.” She said softly.

I slip in bed when you're asleep
To hold you close and feel your breath on me
Tomorrow there'll be so much to do
So tonight I'll drift in a dream with you


“That night, after I was in your arms I didn’t have a single nightmare after that. My sleep was peaceful and full of dreams of you and us and our family from then on.”
John tightened his hold on her a tear rolling down his cheek and onto her shoulder. Evangeline smiled as she felt the wetness from his tears and reached up to stroke the back of his head.

How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough, is forever enough
How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough
Cause I'm never, never giving you up

As you wander through this troubled world
In search of all things beautiful
You can close your eyes when you're miles away
And hear my voice like a serenade


“I love the lyrics.” He said turning her back around and dancing with her slowly around the room.
“They are what you always tell me.”
“What’s that?”
“That you’ll never give me up.” She said smiling and kissing his lips.
John drew her closer stopping their slow dance around the room and cupped her face, “How could you ever think I could? You’re in my veins, if I lost you I would lose my heart. Because you have it. You hold the key to my happiness, to everything that is good in this world to me.”

Her tears stung the corner of her eyes and then slowly slid down her cheeks as she forced a smile. Rising up on her tip toes Evangeline pulled him close kissing him hard on the lips pushing her tongue deep into his mouth. He cried against her face as they fought each other for control over the kiss. The desperation in the kiss, it’s all consuming nature as they fought to hold onto each other, to hold onto their love, the only thing that made sense in this world.

How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough, is forever enough
How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough
Cause I'm never, never giving you up

How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough, is forever enough
How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough
Cause I'm never, never giving you up
Is forever enough
Cause I'm never, never giving you up
Revelations by OLTLfantimes10
Evangeline lay next to John fingering her locket as she stared at the ceiling. They spent the rest of the night into the morning talking, making love, and dancing around the hotel room. Turning her head she smiled at John her knight and shining armor. She rose up on her elbow and pushed his hair from his face, kissing his cheek over and over again.

John moaned and turned his head away from her and snuggled the pillow. Evangeline laughed to her self as she climbed onto John’s back kissing his neck and down his back, “Baby…” John moaned feeling her kisses trail over his shoulder blades and in a straight line down his back.

“Yes.” She said softly looking up at him as she tucked her hair behind her ears.
John rolled over under her and Evangeline sat up straddling his lap as she leaned forward and kissed his jaw and his lips quickly.
“More… More….” She said kissing under his jaw.
“You’ve worn me out.” He chuckled running his hands through her hair. “Food, I need food if you want to go again.”

She peered up at him from up under her eye lashes and smiled, “Can’t I just kiss you?” she said softly.
John scooted up against the head board propped up by pillows, “You can do whatever you want, but remember we have Brunch with mom and dad today.”
Evangeline sighed rolling her eyes, “Can’t we skip it?” She said softly leaning forward brushing her nose against his.

John caressed her hips and thighs his eyes closing as her lips grazed against his, “You know mom wants to see you.” He whispered.
“But Johnny….” She whined.
“Oh god! Don’t but Johnny me!” he said chuckling.

Evangeline sat up and narrowed her eyes on him. She folded her arms over her chest and pouted at him, “What baby!” he said laughing at her.
“I want to stay here.” She whined.
“Well we’ve been here all night don’t you think it’s time to rejoin the real world?” he said drawing circles around her hips.
“Real world shemeal world.” She said rolling her eyes, “I like it here, with you.” She grinned leaning forward kissing him hard on the lips.

John sighed through the kiss feeling her tongue uncurl in his mouth gently pulling at his tongue. He ran his hands through her hair and turned her over pushing her to the bed, “Get dressed.” He said breaking the kiss.
“No!”
“Evangeline Katarina Williamson.”
“John Thomas McBain.” She shot back.
“Oooo, invoking the middle name are you!”
“You started it!” She said laughing.

John narrowed his eyes on her and she looked up at him confused, “What?”
“When are your parents coming back from Europe?” He asked.
Evangeline pushed his chest sitting up against the pillows, she tilted her head confused, “Why?”
“Answer the question Van.”
“A week I think. Dad has to be back soon, school starts after Labor Day you know that.”
“Good, good...” John mumbled pushing his hair from his face. He rose reaching for his boxer shorts and slipped them on. Evangeline watched him move around the bed confused, “John.”
“Yeah?” he asked stopping at the bathroom door.
“What was that about?”
He shook his head and winked at her, “I’m going to get a shower and then we’ll head back to the apartment to change for brunch okay?”
“John…” She said annoyed that he wouldn’t answer her.

“Wanna join me, I’ll make it worth your while.” He said raising his eyebrows up and down with a sly smile.
Evangeline bit her lower lip and pushed the covers away. She jumped from the bed and ran to the bathroom. Stopping in front of him at the door she stared at him, “This isn’t over McBain. Don’t think you getting me in that shower is going to make me forget.”
John kissed her, “You’re mind is like a steal trap I know you would never forget.” He whispered slapping her ass.

Evangeline kept a straight face as she pulled her nightie from her head throwing it in his face. She sashayed past him into the bathroom and reached in to turn on the shower. John slowly slid her nightie from his face and blew out a sigh, she most definitely was a spitfire. Evangeline pulled back the door and stepped in. Turning around she beckoned John with her finger and he grinned walking to her a he slid his shorts off to join her in the shower.
~

“Did you enjoy your stay with us Ms. Williamson?” Evangeline smiled and nodded as she handed over her key card to the desk attendant. “Could you please give this to the Jake the waiter on the night shift please?” She said passing her a small envelope.

“Of course ma’am. Was there anything we could have done to make your stay more pleasant?” She asked sweetly.
Evangeline turned to look at John who sat in the lobby flipping through a magazine, “No it was perfect.” She said beaming.
“Lovely. Have a wonderful Sunday.”
Evangeline nodded, “You as well.” Walking away she strolled over to John and stopped behind him. Bending down she kissed his cheek, “Ready baby?” She asked softly against his ear.

John threw the magazine on the table and looked up at her, “Yeah, let’s go.” He stood up grabbing her hand and intertwining their fingers. Walking outside they had the doorman hail them a taxi to head back home and put on fresh clothes.

~

“Is this too revealing?” Evangeline asked coming out in a spaghetti strap sun dress her hair up in a bun with curls coming down the sides of her face. “I have a little cover up I could put on, should I?”
John looked up at her from putting on his shoes and nodded, “Put the cover up on babe. You know the club.”

Evangeline rolled her eyes and reached for them, “Those guys really should consider moving into the twenty first century.” She said annoyed.
John chuckled, “You don’t need to tell me that! But hey my dad loves that place so what can we say?”
“Promise me something.” She said coming out of her closet.
“What’s that?”
“When you end up on the board of directors at that silly club you’ll find a way to change some of their rules and regulations.”

John laughed as he stood up and kissed her forehead, “I’ll try my best. Are you ready if we leave now we’ll be on time for once!” he said shocked.
“Seriously?” She said walking up to him slowly.

John looked at her cautiously, “What are you doing?” he asked as she started to unbutton his shirt.
Evangeline smirked at him and pushed him to their bed. Rising her dress up around her hips she straddled him and started to push the straps down from her dress, “We’re going to be late.” John said staring at her as she pushed her dress down around her breasts freeing them much to his delight.

Evangeline took his hands placing them on her stomach and moving them up over her breasts as she started to grind slowly against him, “You’re parents are used to us being late.” She mumbled raising her hands to her hair. John sat up and removed her hands, “Allow me.” He said softly as he loosened the bun. “You’re right, they are used to it.” He said marveling as her hair flowed down her shoulders and around the tops of her breasts.

Her hands ran slowly down his chest to his pants and unbuckled them. John rose up pushing them from his hips as she pulled her panties off throwing them to the side. Lowering her head to his lips her mouth fell open against his as she taunted and teased him with the tip of her tongue, “We don’t have time for this.” He panted.
“There’s always time…” She replied.

John swallowed hard as her hips danced around his her center tantalizing his member into erection, her nipples brushing his. Evangeline reached over grabbing the phone and dialing the clubs number as she kept up her slow erotic dance over his pelvis, “Yes, could you please tell Thomas and Eve McBain that his son and daughter in law will be running about a half hour late.”

John held onto her hips as she continued to circle her pelvis over his, his breath catching in his throat, the feel of her over whelming, enticing, intoxicating. He wasn’t able to think, speak, all he could do was feel. He heard her say, “Thank you,” and then the warmth of her body engulfed him as she slid on to his manhood and continued her slow circles over his pelvis.

Evangeline threw the phone to the side and slid him into her. Her soft whimper escaped her lips as she felt him fill her body. Placing both hands on either side of him she lowered her head to his and gently let her tongue graze his lips as his fingers dug into her hips and butt.

“The things you do to me.” He groaned as he rocked her hips back and forth feeling her warmth and wetness over take his sense. The world disappeared and all he saw was her face above his her eyes closed and her mouth open as small whimpers escaped her lips.

Her face turned to the side as she trailed kisses down the side of his face and up again, “Tell me you love me.” He whispered against her face.
“I love you Johnny….” She moaned as her pace increased.

John held on for dear life as she rocked faster and faster against him bringing them both to a climatic finish. Feeling her walls squeeze him tighter and tighter he couldn’t hold on any longer and released into her with a loud grunt. Evangeline collapsed to his chest as her orgasm depleted her and she rolled to the side to release him.

Squeezing her inner thigh as they lay next to each other John turned to her, “Is it always going to be like that?” he said looking over at her.
“As long as you love me.” She panted looking over at him.
John winked as he sat up pushing his hands through his hair, “We really should get going.”

Evangeline rolled her eyes as she sat up behind him, kissing his bare shoulder, “You know I love your parents and everything, but brunch every Sunday?” she whined.
“It’s either this or dinner at the brownstone.”
Evangeline pulled her dress back up and scooted from the bed, “Good point.” She said straightening her dress, “Go grab us a taxi I have to fix my hair.”

John stared after her as she walked into the bathroom, “I like it down remember.”
Evangeline stopped and turned around, “I know you do, but it’s the middle of August baby and it’s freakin hot out! Just this once.”
“Just this once.” He said buttoning his pants.
Evangeline mouthed, “Thank you.” As she closed the bathroom door.

~

“Sorry mom…” John said kissing her cheek.
“We got your message son, thanks for leaving one this time.”
Evangeline blushed as she slid in to sit across from Thomas, “Good afternoon you two.” He said closing his palm pilot and looking up at them.
“Afternoon.” Evangeline said pouring herself a cup of coffee. “How was your weekend?” she questioned reaching for the cream.

“Wonderful.” Eve said with a bright smile, “I’ve spend the entire weekend redecorating the brownstone.”
“Oh really! Wonderful.” Evangeline said beaming.
“It really is, Thomas over here isn’t enjoying it that much.”

“The damn fabric people, painters, contractors in my house left and right, it’s irritating Eve.”
“It maybe now, but you’ll love the place when I’m done. I have a surprise too.”
“What’s that mom?” John asked snuggling up next to Evangeline.

“I’m making a baby room!” she said excited.
Evangeline spit her coffee across the table barely missing Thomas and his palm pilot. “Mom!” John said shocked.
“What?”
“We aren’t even married!” he said frowning at her.
“Ah, that’s just a formality and you know it.” She said waving John off.
“Eve what are you thinking?”
“That I want grand children Thomas.” She said shooting him a glare.
Evangeline cleaned up the table and forced a smile at Eve, ‘That’s very nice of you Eve but don’t you think that’s a little presumptuous?”
“No…no… it’s good luck!” she said grinning at them both.

John sighed as he helped Evangeline clean up the mess, “Did you think to ask us about that?”
“Why would I?”
“We aren’t living at your house mom when we get married.”
“I would never think such a thing! It’s for when my grandchildren come and visit silly.” She said hitting his hand.
John tried to smile but couldn’t, “You should see the room Johnny, and don’t worry I’ll have the same contractors come over to the apartment and get you guys set up as well.”

Evangeline shook her head, “That’s not necessary Eve. I mean like John said we aren’t married yet. When we do get there I still have medical school to go through.”
“We might not even be living in New York.” John interjected.
Eve looked at Thomas confused and then back over at John and Evangeline, “What are you talking about not living in New York?”
“Evangeline’s applied to several medical schools not all of them are here in the state.”
“But she’ll get into one here so we don’t have to worry about that, plus your art is here.”
“I can paint anywhere Mom.”
“Evangeline can get to any medical school here in town with our influences.” Thomas piped in.

Evangeline shook her head and sat her coffee cup down, “Please don’t…” she said touching his hand.
“Don’t what?”
“Don’t use your contacts to get me into medical school. I want to do it on my own merits.”
“But sweetie.”
“Please Thomas, I’m asking you nicely to let me do this on my own.”
“Dad she’s more than capable of getting into any top medical school in the country on her own, she doesn’t need your help. And we’ll decide together, where we want to be.”

Thomas let out an irritated sigh, “I don’t know why you won’t me do things for you two.” He said annoyed.
“You raised me to be independent Dad, Evangeline’s parent’s did the same. We’re used to doing things on our own we kinda like it don’t we?” he asked looking over at her.
Evangeline smiled at John and nodded, “It’s not that I don’t want your help right now Thomas or yours Eve. I want to do this on my own, prove to myself that I can get just as far as anyone even with my connections like you two. You do so much I mean you gave John his apartment for goodness sakes!” She said laughing.

Thomas nodded in agreement and Eve did as well, “I know it’s hard to watch your son grow up and be a man but that’s what he is. My man one that loves and supports me he’ll help me get through medical school and when we’re both ready.” She said leaning forward and taking both of their hands, “I promise you we will give you a whole room full of grandchildren that you can spoil rotten to your hearts content.” She said with a soft smile.

Eve leaned over and kissed Evangeline on the forehead and Thomas looked over at John, “You’ve got a great woman here son. Don’t fuck it up!” he said pointing at John.
“Thomas!”
“Dad!” They both said together.

“What!” Thomas shot back, “You hurt her I’ll make you pay.”
“I couldn’t if I tried, it’s not in me.” John said leaning over and kissing Evangeline on the temple, “I couldn’t if I tried.” He whispered in her ear. Evangeline blushed and squeezed his thigh as the waiter came over with their brunch, “I took the liberty of ordering for everyone.” Thomas said sipping his coffee.

“Thanks dad.” John said rolling his eyes.
“It looks amazing Thomas thank you.” Evangeline said digging into her eggs. “Do you know what your son did for me yesterday?”
Eve smiled and looked over at John, “I have a small idea.”
“You know some of it mom, not all.”
“Why don’t you tell them John?” Evangeline said elbowing him in the side.
“What? I didn’t do much, just brunch at Tiffany’s had her pick out a few rings.”

Eve nearly chocked on her pancakes when John said rings, “Rings, what on earth John!” She said coughing as Thomas patted her back.
“Yeah she tried on a few rings at Tiffany’s.”
“Engagement?” Thomas asked looking between the both of them.
“John will have to answer that one, I just sat there and let Jean Claude put different rings on my fingers.”
“Jean Claude, my my my…” Thomas said eyeing John up and down.
“What he’s the family jeweler?” John said shrugging his shoulders.
“We only use him to create pieces for us you know that.” Eve said smiling at them both.

Evangeline reached up and touched her necklace, “You’re going to design my ring?” She asked softly looking over at John.
John blushed as he looked between everyone else and turned his head, “That was the plan…” He mumbled.
Evangeline looked at him shocked, grabbing his face she kissed him startling him and then pulled back as quick as she kissed him. “What was that for?” he asked wiping at his lips.
Evangeline shook her head staring at him in disbelief, “You are too good to be true. It’s like you’re out of someone’s imagination.” She said laughing.
“Well you do inspire me to do the things I do.” He said giving her a quick peck. “Thanks mom for ruining the surprise.”
“What!” Eve said placing her hand over her chest, “How was I to know!”

John winked at her and laughed, “Just messing with you mom, it’s okay really.”
“You sure Johnny?”
“Fine ma, she would have found out sooner or later. She’s very inquisitive aren’t you baby.”
“Inquisitive, normally you call me nosy!” she said hitting him in the chest.
“Nosy, inquisitive, curious it’s all the same.”
“Sure…” She mumbled rolling her eyes.

Eve sat watching them laughing and talking about the rest of Evangeline’s afternoon and then her surprise for John. Shifting in her seat she moaned as her back started to hurt again, “You okay mom?” John asked touching her hand softly.
Eve nodded as she reached in her purse pulling out a small pill bottle, “What are those!” He asked scared.
“It’s a mild pain killer John, nothing to be worried about.” Thomas offered.
“Why are you taking those!” He said nervously.
“Remember when I slipped down the stairs a few years ago?” Eve said popping one of the pills and swallowing it with some orange juice.
“Yeah.” He mumbled watching her throw her head back to get the pill down.
“With all the work your mom has been doing around the house it’s flared up again. Dr. Spade gave her a few pills to help with the pain. She’s also seeing the chiropractor, it’s okay son.”
John swallowed and looked at his mom with a half smile, “If you say so mom…”
“I’m really fine Johnny, just hurts every once and a while, nothing to be that scared about okay.”

John nodded as he squeezed his mom’s hand and looked over to Evangeline. He was worried watching her take those pills. With her constant battle with alcoholism it was extremely dangerous to be taken anything more than aspirin. He sat nervously across from his mom watching her interact with the rest of the family. No matter how old she got he would always worry, if anything ever happened to her god forbid, he would lose it the same way he felt if anything every happened to Evangeline.

~

They stood under the awning of the Club saying their goodbyes as the rain poured down. A summer shower was just what the city needed to cool it off some, “I want you to come by and see the room okay?” Eve asked hugging Evangeline.
“Okay, I promise.” She said kissing Eve on the cheek.
“Good good…”
Thomas held the door open to a taxi and waved John and Evangeline over, “You two take this one we’ll get the next one.” Thomas said hugging John.
“Thanks dad.”
John turned to Evangeline waving her over and helped her into the car with the help of the club’s doorman. He waved goodbye to both parents as the cab pulled away from the curb.

“Wasn’t so bad was it?” John asked resting against the cab’s seat.
Evangeline turned to him, “She’s made a room for our child, one we don’t have mind you!” she said staring at him shaking her head back and forth.
“You know mom meant no harm.”
Evangeline turned from him folding her arms across her chest as she crossed her legs, “I can’t believe you John. We aren’t even married and she already has cribs and wall paper picked out!” she snapped.

John chuckled to himself, “I know how you feel babe, but I’m the only one left to give them grandchildren.”
“They will get them!” She said annoyed. “Why is everyone pressuring me to have kids, I’m only 21!”
“I know how old you are I was at your birthday remember.” He said winking at her. Evangeline reached over and hit John in the chest as the taxi started and stopped with the rain pouring down, “It’s really coming down at there.” John mumbled looking out the window.
“Don’t think I won’t forget McBain.” She said annoyed that he would change the subject.
“I know you won’t. I was just saying it’s really raining now.”

Evangeline smiled softly at him as he kissed the tip of her nose. “Did you have fun yesterday?”
“Night I did.” She said staring at him seductively as she snuggled next to him.
“You dirty, dirty girl… I was talking about the rings.” He said laughing.
“Oh yeah, that was fun. You picked out some amazing rings John.” She said grinning at him, “I was quite impressed.”
“How many did you pick out?”
“Five I think.” She said thinking back to yesterday as she played with her promise ring. John looked down at her hands and raised her right hand to his lips. Kissing it softly and put it in his lap, “Your hands are going to get really tired.”
“Excuse me?” She asked confused looking over at him.
“The rings I plan to place on each and every finger.”
“OH god John, don’t do that!”
“What why not?”

John continued to look at her confused, “I don’t want to be one of those old ladies that walk around with all of their rings on their fingers. If you want to do something for me, for every dollar that you would spend on a piece of jewelry for me donate it to some charitable organization.”
John nodded understanding her intent, “What about your engagement ring?”
“What ever ring you do get me, get me something half the cost and donate the rest.”
John rubbed his jaw and smiled, “Okay.”
She looked at him shocked, “Okay?”
“Whatever you want.” He said kissing her forehead. “Whatever you want.”

Evangeline cuddled up next to him enjoying their ride back to the apartment. As the cab pulled up to the remolded warehouse John got out, “Babe do you mind?” he asked nodding to the cab driver. “No, where are you going?” She asked digging in her purse.
“Get an umbrella so your hair doesn’t get wet, I know how hate that!” he said kissing her quickly and pulling his keys from his pocket.
“Aren’t you just the chivalrous one!” She called after him as she counted out the money and then tipped the taxi driver.

John ran up to the front door and with his keys in hand, “I’ve been waiting for you.” She said stepping out of the shadows and into the rain.
John froze at the sight of her and looked over his shoulder at Evangeline as she paid the cab driver, “What the hell are you doing here!” he snapped grabbing her arm and yanking her against the wall of the apartment out of Evangeline’s sight.
“We need to talk.” Brooke said shaking him free.
“I know what you did to me!” John hissed getting in her face.

Brooke smiled and took a step closer, “It’s more like what you did to me!” She said taking his hand and placing it on her stomach. John yanked away as his eyes narrowed into angry slits, “You drugged me.”
“I did no such thing! But you sure as hell got me pregnant.”

John stood frozen at her words. His breathing stopped as his head started to spin and his heart rate increased. “John.” She said touching his face gently.
John swiped her hand away and tried to regain his breath, “You’re lying.” He said, it was all he could say.
“No, I would never lie about something like that.” She said digging in her purse, “See.” Brooke said holding out the pregnancy test for him to see.

John looked down at it but didn’t say a word, “I’m having your baby.” She said excited.
“She’s what!” Evangeline snapped.
John spun around to see her standing in the rain with a newspaper over her head. He looked back at Brooke then at Evangeline again, “I can…” John said walking up to her.

Evangeline took a step back as she dropped her hands, the rain coming down on both of them. “She’s what John?”
“I’m having his baby…” Brooke said again over the pounding rain.
Evangeline looked over at John as she started to cry uncontrollably. John couldn’t tell the difference between her tears in the rain but he knew she was crying because he was doing the same thing. She walked backwards as John tried to advance on her. “Don’t…” She said as he tried to reach out to touch her. “Don’t you dare…”

“Wait…” John said rushing her.
“Get you fucking hands off me!” Evangeline yelled as he lunged for her pulling her to his chest. She fought in his arms hitting his chest over and over again as he tried to restrain her. “Let me explain.”
“WHAT! Explain WHAT!” She yelled over the sound of the rain, the traffic in the street and the sound of her own heart breaking in her chest.

“It’s not what you think.” He said softly pushing her hair from her face.
Evangeline turned her head out of his hands and glared over his shoulder at Brooke, “You lying little slut!” She snapped pushing John away and getting in Brooke’s face. She raised her hand slapping Brooke hard across her face sending the girls hair and head spinning. Brooke’s hand went to her face as she turned back to Evangeline glaring at her, “How dare you.” She hissed glaring at Evangeline.

Evangeline scoffed as she wiped her hair from her eyes, “How dare I! how dare you! What do you do, go around getting knocked up so rich guys will have to pay your trifling ass for the rest of their lives.”
“No!” she shot back.
Shaking her head she turned to John, “And you! When did this happen, tell me!” She yelled.

John lowered his head pushing his hair from his face as she stared at him, “Fine if he won’t tell me you tell me. When did you find time to fuck my boyfriend!”
“June 25th….” She mumbled with her head down.
Evangeline stood processing the date trying to figure out when all this happened. She felt her stomach in knots and her brunch start to travel back up her throat, “Todd’s birthday.” She mumbled putting her hands to the brick wall.

John walked over to them both and stared at Brooke, “I’m not the father.” He said softly, “I don’t care what you say that child you’re carrying that is if you’re carrying one is not mine.” He said in a calm tone.
“It is John, you’re the only one I’ve slept with in the past three months.”
“Todd’s birthday.” Evangeline said looking up at John as she fought the urge to throw up all over the both of them, “His birthday… I was getting drugged and attacked and you were screwing her!” she yelled.

“No, I didn’t do it!” John said staring at her. He reached out to grab her hand and Evangeline pulled it back, “Don’t…” She said softly pulling her hand away and walking backwards. “Don’t… I was getting drugged and you were screwing her.” She said again still shocked by this latest revelation, “I was getting drugged…..”

“Baby…” John said trying to get her attention.
“Don’t baby me, she’s the one you should be calling baby seeing as she’s having your child!” Evangeline yelled.
“She’s not!” John yelled, “I didn’t sleep with her.”
“But John.” Brooke started before John turned to her with a scowl on his face, “Shut your fucking mouth! I didn’t sleep with you, I didn’t impregnant you! SHUT UP!!!!!” He yelled in her face.

Turning back to tend to Evangeline he saw her running across the street. John chased after her dodging cars as he yelled her name through the sound of the rain and the traffic, “Come back here!” He yelled after her.
Evangeline stopped a taxi and got into it quickly before John could catch her, “Madison Avenue please and hurry.” She said looking over her shoulder as John ran up to the side of the car.
“What about him?” The taxi driver asked looking in the rearview mirror.
“Go, I’ll pay you an extra hundred bucks to leave right now.” She said holding up the wet cash. The driver smiled and slammed his foot on the gas as John pounded on the window of the car yelling her name over and over again. He stood in the middle of the street calling after her as the taxi zipped down the street leaving him there tears streaming down his face, his voice going horse from yelling after her.

“Thank you.” Evangeline said softly passing him the cash.
“Are you okay lady?”
“I’m fine.” She mumbled turning her head as she wiped her eyes and her hair from her face, “I’m fine.” She said again.
The driver nodded not believing her but continued to drive her to her destination.

~

John watched the car go the brake lights flashing his heart racing and his head spinning. He looked back over across the street and ran to her. Pushing Brooke up against the hard brick wall he got in her face, “Let me clarify something for you.”
“What?” She asked nervously, his face beat red with anger.
“You don’t know who you are fucking with. If you are pregnant I want a DNA test done as soon as possible. There is no way I would sleep with you sober or drugged.”
Tears formed at Brooke’s eyes at his words, “Don’t cry Brooke. I know you drugged me, I can’t prove it but I know you did it.”

“I didn’t…” She mumbled wiping at her eyes.
“You did. I’ll contact you about the DNA test. Other than that stay the fuck away from me!” he snapped. He grabbed her by the arm and hailed a taxi. Shoving her in he slammed the door and then kicked the side of the cab as it drove away.

Standing with his hands in his hair, his face streaming with tears, his heart slowly breaking he pulled out his cell phone calling the only person he could think of that she would go too. Pacing in the rain he waited for Todd to answer. “Manning.” Todd spoke finally answering the phone.

“Where are you?” John demanded.
“John?”
“Yeah, where are you?”
“At home, why?”
“Evangeline’s coming to you.”
“Why?”
“Brooke.”
“Shit, what about that tramp?” Todd cussed walking back and forth through his apartment.
“She came by and she’s pregnant man, fucking pregnant.” He said yelling into the phone.

Todd pulled the phone away from his ear and rolled his eyes, “What the fuck man!”
“She says it’s mine Todd and Evangeline found out.”
“No…” he said sitting down putting his head in his hands.
“I need you to keep her there as long as you can, I’m on my way now.”
“What if she doesn’t show up here?”
“She will, you’re her best friend. She’ll be there.” John said trying to hail a taxi. Not one wanted to stop, they were all full. “Shit I can’t get a fucking cab. I’m going to call Jason to come and get me, keep her there Manning. You got me?”
“Yeah man…” Todd mumbled hanging up the phone.


Todd took a deep breath as he stared out the floor to ceiling windows of his Madison Avenue apartment. He paced back and forth waiting for either John or Evangeline to get there. He stopped when he saw a taxi stop outside his apartment building and Evangeline slowly step out of the car. He closed his eyes as she looked up to him and walked over to the intercom.

The buzzing started and he pushed the button, “Hello.”
“It’s me, can I come up?” She said softly sniffling as the tears continued to roll down her cheeks.
“You don’t have to ask.” Todd said hitting the buzzer.

He waited wringing his hands as she rode the elevator up the ten stories to his apartment. Todd opened the door and stood outside waiting on her. The elevator dinged and he looked to see her drenched dripping wet stepping out of the elevator. She had her head down but looked up as she turned her head to him. Her makeup running down her cheeks, her body shivering from the rain as she walked slowly to him.

Todd’s heart ached seeing her like this and walked to her with open arms. She picked up her pace as she saw him walking closer and fell into his arms crying harder than she had before. Todd held her close rubbing her back and trying to soothe her. He knew that was a lost cause and no matter what he said nothing would stop this pain she was feeling.

Todd pulled back and cupped her face, “Hey what’s going on.” He asked wiping her eyes.
Evangeline shook her head not able to speak and he took her hand to lead her back to his apartment. Closing the door Evangeline looked around dropping her purse on the coffee table and sitting on the couch her legs folded up under her. Todd looked at her and let out a deep sigh. Walking over to her he sat down next to her purse on the coffee table.

“Van, hun…” he said reaching out and rubbing her leg.
Evangeline looked down at his hand and then out the window, the rain still falling as hard as when she first heard the news. It was like the sky was crying with her as her heart was slowly breaking into a million pieces, “Why did he do it Todd?” She asked softly.

Todd rubbed his face and shook his head, “Do what Van?”
She looked at him with a stone face, “He slept with her.”
“Who?” he asked calmly.
“That girl, that girl I told him to paint, he slept with her.” She said wiping her eyes.
“How do you know?” He asked tilting his head to the side.

Evangeline looked him up and down and frowned, “You’re awfully calm about this.”
“About what.” Todd questioned.
Evangeline unfolded her legs and leaned forward, “I just told you that John cheated on me, and you act like I told you it’s raining outside. Something you can clearly see.” She said pointing to the window.
“I’m just listening to you, something that you need right now.” He said softly.

Evangeline nodded and sat back onto the couch, “She’s pregnant.”
“With John’s baby?” He questioned.
“No with Brad Pitts!” She snapped, “Of course with John’s baby. Why else would I be telling you this!” she yelled rising from the couch.

Evangeline paced the room with her hands on her hips and Todd looked at her, watching her go nuts, “You know what else?” She asked stopping in front of him.
“No what else?”
“He did this on the night of your birthday party. He did this while I was getting drugged and sexually assaulted, he was out screwing her brains out and impregnating her!” she said throwing her hands up in the air.

“You honestly think John would do that to you?” he questioned watching her.
“Stop right there!” Evangeline said throwing her hands in the air.
“What’s wrong?”
“You, you’re what’s wrong. If memory serves me correctly for the past three years you have stated over and over again that if John ever hurt me you would basically go ballistic on his ass. Now you’re sitting there with a straight face asking me questions about John’s loyalty.” She questioned confused.

Todd rose wiping his sweaty hands on his jeans and walked up to her, “You know I would do that.” He said holding her hands with one hand and cupping her face with the other.
“You knew…” she mumbled staring into his eyes.
Todd stared at her not breaking their eye contact and shook his head, “Knew what?”
Evangeline yanked her hands away and backed up from him, “You knew.” She said putting her hand over her mouth in shock, “How.” She said swallowing hard trying to process everything, “Wait I don’t want to know. All I need to know is that you knew and you hid this from me. The both of you! The both of you hid this from me, lied to my face month after month.” She said reaching for the door.

Todd rushed her shoving the door shut behind her, “Wait please, let me explain.”
“I don’t want to hear it, I don’t want to hear anything you ever have to say Todd. I trusted you, I trusted you to always tell me the truth, I trusted the both of you!” She screamed in his face.

Todd took a step backwards at her words and lowered his head, “You should be ashamed, you disgust me.” She spat. “I can’t believe I loved either one of you. You don’t lie to the people you love.”
“Wait, we both love you more than our lives.” He said looking up at her. “I love you more than you know.” He said.

“I can’t do this. I can’t be around you.” She said turning around and fumbling with the door. Todd rushed her and pushed his body against hers, “Don’t do this, don’t go, not like this.” He said against her ear.
“Get off me, don’t touch me, don’t ever touch me.” She said elbowing him in the gut, “I thought I knew you Todd Manning.” She said softly closing the door behind her.

Evangeline walked quickly down the hallway going past the elevator to the stairs. Running down them as quick as she could her rage flared, he knew, he knew this whole time and didn’t have the decency to tell her! Pushing out the fire exit door she didn’t care that the alarm sounded. Her eyes were blood shot from all the crying. Walking around the building she hailed a taxi and slid in, “Where to ma’am?”
Evangeline looked up and the taxi driver looked back over at her his mouth feel open, “You okay lady?” He asked taking in her appearance.
“Fine, 155 West 74th street please.” She said softly.
“You got it lady.”
“Thank you…” Evangeline mumbled looking out the window. The rain had slowed down and so had her tears. Her stomach was in knots and her chest was tight with the pain they both inflicted on her.

Holding her hand to her chest she looked out the window and sighed. Her hand grazed across her locket and she reached to take it off. Holding it in her hands she stared down at it and remembered everything that it symbolized for them. Holding it tightly she folded her hand and brought it to her lips, “I trusted you Johnny.” She mumbled looking out the window. “I loved you Johnny.” She said letting tears roll down her cheeks again.

“We’re here.” He said turning to look at her.
Evangeline looked around for her purse and realized she left it at Todd’s place, “Ummm… I left my purse at my friends house, I can get some money. Stay right here okay.”
“You can count on it.” He said staring at her. Evangeline smiled and pushed open the taxi door. Taking the steps up to the house she rang the doorbell as she bounced up and down trying to warm up as the rain started up again, “Miss, oh my!” Claudia said shocked to see Evangeline drenched and shivering in the rain.

Evangeline smiled bashfully and stepped into the house. Tucking her hair behind her ears she smiled, “I left my purse at Todd’s…” She said looking at the ground.
Claudia nodded and walked to a table. She pulled out some cash and ran out to pay the taxi driver. As she came back in she looked at Evangeline shocked, “Miss what’s going on?”
“Are they here?” She asked softly walking into the living room.
“Of course…” Claudia said rushing to give her a blanket to wrap her body in, “What’s going on miss?”

“Claudia!” Thomas yelled coming down the stairs.
Evangeline looked up at Thomas, her hair, clothes, and make up a mess. Thomas dropped his papers on the stairs as he ran down them, “What’s going on!” He asked staring at her.

Evangeline wrapped her arms around him and broke down again in his arms. Thomas rubbed her back as he held her close listening to her sobs, “Go get my wife.” Thomas said shooing Claudia away.
He pulled her back and cupped her face, “What’s going on dear?” he said trying to get her to calm down.
“He lied to me, he betrayed me.” She said sniffling.
Pulling her back to his chest Thomas blew out a heated sigh at her words, what had his boy done?
Desperation by OLTLfantimes10
Eve came walking out of the kitchen with her tea in her hand. She heard her before she saw her. Looking up to see Evangeline wrapped in Thomas’ arms crying against his chest she dropped her tea cup and rushed to their sides. Thomas relieved that Eve was finally there turned Evangeline into Eve’s open arms, “What’s going on?” She asked softly as she stroked Evangeline’s hair and her back.

Thomas shook his head as he ran his hands through his hair, “I have no clue. I came down the stairs looking for Claudia and found her like this. She said something about John lying and betraying her…” He aid softly.

Eve nodded and smiled as she looked down at Evangeline, “Let me take care of this.” She said trying to walk Evangeline into the sitting room.
“I’m going to go find John.” Thomas said walking to the front door.

Eve let go of Evangeline as Claudia walked up and took Evangeline the rest of the way into the sitting room. “Thomas wait…” She said looking after Evangeline to make sure Claudia had her okay.

“What is it Eve?”
“Don’t jump to any conclusions okay.”
“What do you mean?” He asked confused.
Eve touched his face, “I love you Thomas and your fight to protect your family but when you believe someone has done someone you love wrong you tend to lose it.” She said gently.

Thomas closed his eyes at her touch and blew out a soft sigh, “She’s in there cold, wet and crying Eve.”
“You don’t know John had anything to do with this.”
“Where is he then Eve? Where is John if he didn’t cause her to come to us like this?” He said opening the door.
Eve pulled her hand free and swallowed, “Remember just listen to him.”
“I won’t promise anything.” He said stepping out onto the stoop. “See what you can find out okay?”

Eve nodded as she closed the door behind him and then turned to walk into the sitting room. Stopping at the door way she saw Evangeline sitting on the couch hugging her body and rocking back and forth mumbling something. Eve walked over and sat next to her putting her arm around Evangeline’s shoulder she turned her head and buried it into Eve’s neck.

Kissing the top forehead she held her and rocked her back and forth. Eve could finally understand what she was saying, “She’s pregnant….” Were the words she mumbled over and over through her sobs. Eve’s heart sunk and she closed her eyes letting out a depressed sigh, who’s pregnant she thought to herself.

~

John took the ten flights of stairs up to Todd’s place. Pounding on the door Todd swung it open before taking a swing across John’s face sending him flying backwards. Todd shook out his hand and walked into the hallway to stand over John. John looked up at him shocked, “What the hell.” He mumbled rubbing his face.

“You! She knows I know, how does she know I know!” He yelled at him
John pushed up from the floor and pushed Todd aside, “Where is she?” He snapped walking through the large apartment.
Todd came into the apartment slamming the door and glaring as John walked around, “She’s not here.”

John stopped his search and looked to the coffee table to see her purse still sitting on the coffee table, “You fuckin lie!” He snapped charging him.
“She left when she found out I knew about your little tryst there wasn’t anything I could do to get her to stay.”
“I asked you to do one thing Manning, one fucking thing!” John said turning around frustrated and sat on the couch putting his head in his hands.
“What, one thing. Because of you, I may have lost my best friend!” He yelled.

“She’s not gone, don’t say that. She’s not gone.” He mumbled staring at her purse. John picked it up and went through it slowly. Her lipstick, compact, cell phone and wallet were all still in it. His heart sank.

Todd walked over out of breath and sighed as he sat down across from him. “What happened?” He said after a long silence between the two friends.
John looked up at Todd his eyes blood shot, his desperation to find her and explain written all across his face, “We were coming back from brunch with my mom and dad. I told her to pay while I go and get an umbrella because it was raining.”
“Where did Brooke come in at John?” He asked annoyed.

“I’m getting there damnit. She was there waiting on me, us, hell either one of us. She didn’t care who she told, but she wanted to tell someone. She’s pregnant man and she claims it’s my baby.”
“Claims?”
“Yeah, I don’t believe it’s mine, I wouldn’t sleep with her in a million years I have the only woman I want to make love to the rest of my life with me.”
“You mean you had her.” Todd scoffed.

John jumped from the couch, “What the fuck is your problem man!” John shot staring at him.
Todd stared at him in shock, “You’re actually going to stand there and ask me what my problem is! My problem is you, you and your need to keep things from the woman that you claim to love more than life it’s self.”

“I don’t remember what happen, how can I tell her something that I can’t remember. The only thing I know is from what you tell me you found! How do I know you weren’t lying to me just to get in her pants.”
Todd laughed out loud as he ran his hands through his hair, “She doesn’t love me, she loves you no matter what I would do to prove that I love her she would always be with you.”
“Damn straight Manning. So I protect her, I care about her and her safety. Like I’m really going to tell her the night that you were getting assault I THINK I was having sex with someone else, but I can’t be sure because you know she drugged me I THINK but yeah I’ve got no proof of that either!”
“Have you told her that?” Todd questioned.
“When? When could I, I was hoping that you could keep her here until I got here that way I could tell her everything I just told you!” John snapped.

“Well we need to find her.” Todd said sitting back against the couch.
“Yes I know this, I have no clue where she would go though. Call Andrea will you?” John asked.
“Call me for what?” Andrea said using her key to open Todd’s apartment.

She looked at both boys as she dropped her keys and purse on the end table and walked over to kiss Todd on the forehead. “What’s going on? Why would you need to call me?” She asked sitting down next to Todd. She looked at John and Todd confused and saw Evangeline’s purse and it’s contents all over the table, “Is Van here?” She asked excited.

“No.” John said softly.
“Okay, then why is her purse here, was she here?” She asked looking over to Todd.
“Yeah she was here.”
“Okay what’s going on you two! You look like someone just died or something.” Andrea said folding her arms over her chest and sitting with her legs tucked under her next to Todd.

“Would you care to explain or shall I?” Todd said glaring at John.
“Remember Brooke?” John started.
“That tramp that wanted you to paint her nude, yeah, what about her?”
“She came by the night of Todd’s party to apologize. I kicked her out after giving her the painting and sketches that I had done and Todd would you care to fill in the missing pieces.”

“When I went to find John after everything that happened and Evangeline was asleep at the hospital, I found him in bed with her.”
“I didn’t sleep with her! I know that’s what your thinking.” John said holding up his hand.
Todd rolled his eyes and turned back to Andrea, “He claims he didn’t sleep with her and has no memory of it.”
“She fucking drugged me!” John snapped throwing his hands up in the air. He grabbed Evangeline’s purse and headed towards the door, “You may not believe me but I know I didn’t sleep with that girl and get her ass pregnant.” He hissed opening the door.

“You what!” Andrea yelled, “Oh god Van…” She said finally realizing the severity of the situation, “Are you telling me she knows this?” She asked looking between Todd and John.
“Yes.” John said walking into the hallway, “She knows and is out there some place all alone thinking that I cheated on her while she was almost getting raped.” He said softly closing the door behind him.

Andrea turned to Todd and stared at him, “You knew this and didn’t tell her, didn’t tell me.”
“John said he would handle it.” Todd said standing up and walking around the apartment.
“He sure as hell handled it as he said Evangeline is out there some place freaking out Todd! Why didn’t you tell me this!” she shouted at him watching him pace around the apartment.
“It wasn’t my information to tell!” He yelled back at her.

“The hell it was Todd, Evangeline is our best friend and you supposedly found the love of her life in bed with another woman, and now this tramp is pregnant with his child.”
“He claims he didn’t sleep with her.”
“Yeah I heard him, he thinks she drugged him. But why? What’s her motive in all of this? First Evangeline, then your suspension with the paper not sure if you’ll get the editor position and now Todd. What the fuck is going on around here!” She snapped rising from the couch and walking to the door.

“Wait where are you going?”
“To find Evangeline.”
“You don’t know this city I don’t want you getting lost.” He said rushing to her. “We’ll take my car and go look for her.”
Andrea folded her arms across her chest, “Fine.” She said leaving his side and going to the elevator.

~
“Thank you…” Eve mumbled as she accepted a cup of tea from Claudia. They had gotten Evangeline to one of the spear bedrooms on the lower level of the brownstone and changed out of her wet clothes and into some pajamas that Eve had around for guests. Tucked up under the coves she smoothed back Evangeline’s hair from her face and smiled softly down at her, “Claudia brought you some tea.”

She was in shock, all she could hear was that girls voice over and over again saying that she was pregnant and it was John’s baby. Looking over at Eve she saw John in her, she never really noticed before how much John looked like his mother because Eve had hazel eyes, Thomas was the one with the crystal blue eyes. But everything else, every other facial feature was Eve’s. “Why did he do this?” she asked her eyes watering.

Eve shook her head not understanding what was going on, “Evangeline honey I don’t know what you’re talking about could you tell me?” she questioned in a soft mothering tone.

Evangeline rolled away from Eve pulling her knees to her chest under the covers. Eve took a deep sigh and rose from the bed, before she could walk away Evangeline’s hand shot out from under the coves to grab her wrist, “Please stay, I don’t have anyone right now.”
“Oh now that’s not true, you have me, John, Thomas, Todd, Andrea.”
“They all lied to me expect you and Thomas. They all lied to me.” She said again feeling like an elephant was sitting on her chest, it was so hard to breath her world was falling apart.

Eve sat on the bed and gently squeezed her arm through the covers, “What did they lie about.”
“The girl, they didn’t tell me about her and what her and John did.”
“What girl?”
“The one that John painted.”
Still not understanding what was going on Eve shook her head and tried to get Evangeline to turn around and face her, “Evangeline can you please tell me what’s going on from the very beginning. I’m so lost dear.” She said scratching her head.

Evangeline turned over and looked at Eve, “You know I never noticed how much he looked like you till now.”
“John?” She asked smiling at her.
Evangeline nodded her head and smiled, “He has that same crinkle of the forehead that you have, I guess I never really paid attention.” She said laughing softly.
“Most people don’t, it’s his eyes. They take you away, you get so swept up in all the meaning, and emotion that he expresses with them that there is no need to read the rest of his face. That’s how I used to be able to tell if he was lying to me or not.”

Evangeline raised an eyebrow in confusion, “How?”
“Oh I’m sure you’ve never noticed, he doesn’t lie when he’s around you, he may leave a little bit of the truth out but he would never straight out lie to you dear. But me and his father, oh yes…” She said laughing.

“I remember this one time when he was visiting his grandmother and wanted to try wine coolers. I would say he was about ten or twelve at the time. It was during one of my sober bouts. But my mother called saying she thought that John had taken them from her house and drank one and most likely shared the rest with his friends.”

“Really?” Evangeline said sitting up. She’d never head this story before. This one should be good.
“Oh yes, so I asked him about it. His whole face was stoic, no emotion what so ever, but my mom was sure of it, sure that he had taken them. So I continued to ask him over and over again and then I saw it again.”
“What?” She asked anxiously.
“These gold flecks. It’s surreal really, but when he lies and only when he lies his eyes sparkle with a gold hue to them. It’s magnificent really, but for some odd reason it only happens when he lies to you.” She said staring across the room as the memory was so clear in her mind.

Evangeline shook her head, “I didn’t see those.” She mumbled to herself.
“See what hon?”
“The flecks, I didn’t see them.”
“You weren’t looking, but why would John lie to you?”
“It wasn’t just John but Todd too. They both lied about what John did that night I…” She stopped seeing if Eve understood what night she was talking about.
Reaching out Eve touched her hands and held them tightly in her own. “It’s okay sweetie.” She said softly.

“He was making love with someone else Eve, while I was on that bed barely conscious with some sick freaks hands around my neck he was making love to some woman in the bed we share making the baby I’m supposed to carry.” She said touching her stomach her voice cracking under the strain of having to retell the story to another person.

“No, that’s not true…. John wouldn’t do that, he’s not like his father.”
“What?”
Eve looked back over at Evangeline and shook her head, “My son is nothing like his father he wouldn’t do that to you.” She said standing up and dropping her hands.
“Eve I saw the girl, I saw the pregnancy test.”

Eve paced back and forth shaking her head, this wasn’t going to happen. He wasn’t going to be another Thomas McBain, “You’re lying, she’s lying, someone is lying and it isn’t my Johnny!” she shouted.
Evangeline looked at Eve hurt as tears started to roll down both of their cheeks, “I was there Eve, I saw her.” She whispered.
“No, what you saw was some sick joke by someone out to get us, you, him! John would not touch another living soul as long as you were on this planet. You need to talk to him, listen to him get this straightened out do a damn DNA test because that baby is not his!” She shouted.

Evangeline stared at her in shock, she was falling apart over this news as well. Eve’s hands were shaking as she walked back and forth. Evangeline saw her pull out the small pill bottle from this morning and take another pill, “Eve maybe you shouldn’t.” She said softly.
Eve gave her a heated glare, “I’m calling John, he’ll figure this out. The two of you will figure this out together. Don’t run from him now Van he needs you.” She said walking to her.

“Eve please don’t. Don’t call him, I just found this out, I can’t look at him right now. It’s too painful, it’s too hard to know what he was doing while something was happening to me. It’s too hard to know that he lied to my face for the past three months about this and then to know that I’m not the mother of his first born.” She said gripping her chest. “I just can’t do that right now, please…” she said begging with her.

Eve looked her up and down seeing how much this was paining her and blew out a sigh, “You can’t run hon.”
“I don’t plan on it, I just need to think…think that’s all, give me time okay?”
“Not too long, John will go nuts not knowing where you are or what’s going on with you. He’ll want this resolved now.”
“I know…” she mumbled.

Eve kissed her forehead as Evangeline sunk into the large queen size guest bed. She pulled the covers over her head as she turned her back from Eve. Walking out of the bedroom Eve smiled at Claudia, “Please keep an eye on her for me.”
“Of course ma’am is everything okay?” Claudia asked looking down the hallway to the room they moved Evangeline too.

Eve touched her hand and turned her around, “She and John are having a little lovers quarrel nothing more. If she needs anything I would like for you to tend to her.”
“Oh of course ma’am anything I can do for Ms. Evangeline.” She said smiling.
“Good, I’m going to head to the living room and finish up on my work. Please let me know when and if she wakes.”
“Of course, and dinner?”
“Just make a little extra for her, I doubt she’ll be up to it.” Eve stated as she walked away from Claudia to the newly redone living room. Pulling the phone from the cradle she sat on the new sofa feeling the soft fabric of it and dialed Thomas’ cell phone.

“McBain.” He said pacing back and forth of John’s apartment.
“Where are you?” Eve asked sitting back and crossing her legs.
“At their apartment, what did you find out?”
“I don’t want to prejudice your beliefs, hear your son out.”
“Damn it Eve tell me what’s going on, now!” He snapped.
Eve rolled her eyes and pulled the phone from her ear, “Get the information from John’s lips.” She said hanging up on him.

Thomas looked at the phone as the line went dead and rolled his eyes. He tucked it back in his pocket and walked around the apartment taking everything in. This place was so them, besides the pictures and paintings it smelled of them, felt of them. It was them and he loved it. Seeing his son so happy was all he wanted out of life.

Sitting down he picked up one of their photo albums from their summers in the Hamptons. If they just would have gone there this summer none of this would have happened. They’d probably be planning a wedding right now.

Thomas turned his head slightly when he heard the elevator door slam shut. John threw his keys across the counter his head down his hair in his eyes he hadn’t realized that his father was in the apartment. Walking through the living room Thomas watched as John passed him without a word disappeared in the back of the apartment and came back out a few moments later in jeans and a tee shirt. “Shit!” John said startled finally realizing that his father was around.

“Took you long enough.” Thomas said rising from the couch.
“When did you get here?”
Thomas looked down at his watch and back up at his son, “Been here for nearly a half hour where have you been John?”
“Out?” He said passing him.
Thomas looked after John and chuckled to himself, “Where’s Evangeline?” He asked sliding his hands into his pockets and following his son into the kitchen.

“Did you want something dad?” He asked looking over his shoulder.
Thomas came up behind John and into his space, “I asked you a question boy.” He hissed.

John turned around to find Thomas standing inches from his face. He took a step back but found he was pressed against the counter, “She’s not here.” He stammered.
“I know.”
“Then why did you ask!” He question trying to get past his father.
“Don’t you dare take that tone with me. You may be an adult but I am still you father!” Thomas seethed getting into John’s face.

John blinked at his father hidden rage, he knew. Some how he knew something was going on, “She’s with you?” he questioned softly.
Thomas looked John up and down and took a step back, “She showed up at the house about an hour ago. Where have you been?”
“Trying to find her!” John said quickly as he pushed his father out of the way and reached for his keys.
“Where are you going John?”
“To talk to Evangeline.” He said stopping at the elevator.

“No…” Thomas said staring at him with a stoic face.
“Excuse me?” John asked confused he turned to face his father who had his arms folded over his chest and a frown on his face.
“You heard me, I don’t stutter. Sit your ass down. I want to know why that sweet girl came to my home in the middle of the thunder storm without you.”

John rolled his eyes and continued his trek to the elevator, “John Thomas McBain, I know I told you to sit your ass down!” He snapped pointing to the chair.
John looked at his father and who was red in the face and set his keys down on the counter top. He lowered his head as he passed his father and sat on the couch. This was just like the time he pushed Michael and caused him to break his arm.

“I want to know what’s going on John.” Thomas said in an even calm voice.
That scared him the most, the calm tone in his voice, that was never good. John looked up at his father tears in the corners of his eyes and told him the whole story from what he could remember till what just happened at Todd’s house.

“Who is this girl?”
“I don’t know I met her in the store around the corner dad. I don’t know what happened.” He said softly looking up at his father. Thomas paced back and forth in front of John with his hands on his hips, “What is going on with you, why wouldn’t you tell her about this?”

“She was going through so much stuff, she wasn’t up for it hell like I said I’m not even sure of what happened.”
“You know what happened John, you slept with that girl in your bed and got her pregnant.”
“I’M NOT YOU!!!!!!” John snapped getting into his fathers face.
Thomas looked at him stun, “Excuse me?” he asked pulling his hands from his pockets and confronting his son.
“I didn’t stutter Father!” John snapped, “I’m not you, I don’t go around fucking random women. I know who I love and who I want to be with.” He yelled.

Thomas raised his hand to slap his son, “Go ahead! Do it! Whatever you want, punch me, kick me knock me on my ass!” He yelled through his tears, “You couldn’t inflict the amount of pain I’m feeling right now for failing her. She’s all I ever wanted out of life, the love of a good woman. I don’t want to be you, lying to my wife day after day, pretending that she’s the women I want to spend the rest of my life with while I’m off on the side getting a piece of ass with someone young enough to be your own child!”

Thomas watched his sons face turn red as his tears ran down his cheeks. Lowering his hand he pulled John into his chest hugging him tightly. “No, get off me!” He said punching his father’s chest over and over again.

Thomas held John tightly feeling for his son. Squeezing him to his chest he listened as his boy broke down in his arms. John fell to his knee’s holding onto his father, just wanting it to all go away. Pulling John back he cupped his son’s face, “Look at me.” He demanded.

John opened his eyes focusing them on his father’s face. His ears ringing with the sound of his heart pounding in his chest he sniffed as his tears slowed down. “She’s not gone, you haven’t lost her. I need you to man up and fight for what you want, what you deserve. You’re a McBain damn it! You fight like hell to keep that woman. You show her that she’s the best thing that every happened to you. You both fight like hell to keep what makes you whole, the both of you.” He said staring at him.

John shook his head as his tears finally stopped and his heart slowed. “I want her back dad, please…”
“She needs time John, hell I need time to understand what all happened. Can you give her time?” Thomas asked searching his son’s eyes for understanding.

John wiped at his eyes and nose and nodded his head, “How much?”
“I don’t know. She’s with your mom now, let her alone for a few hours at least.”
“Hours, no…” John said pushing up from the floor, “No, I know her. She’ll convince herself that I don’t love her, never did, and I won’t be able to get back in. No… I need to see her, now.” John demanded.

Thomas sighed running his hands through his hair, “Don’t do this John please. Leave her alone at least for the night. Your mom will take care of her trust me on this.”
John closed his eyes and sighed, “Fine, just for tonight.”

“Good, I’m going to stay here tonight.”
“What, no… I’m fine, I’ll stay away I promise.”
Thomas smirked as he slid off his shoes and took a seat, “I’m your father, right now you need me. Trust me on this okay?”
John shook his head and frowned, “Fine dad. What do you want for dinner?”

“Pizza?” He asked excited.
“What would mom think?”
Thomas looked around and then smiled at his son, “She’s not here Johnny, a pizza with extra cheese and mushrooms and olives!” he said excited.
“Okay, but if you get heartburn don’t say anything to me about it because I told ya so.” He said with wink.
“Whatever son!” Thomas said rolling his eyes.
“Yeah whatever dad.”
I need time by OLTLfantimes10
It felt like she was floating. The softness of the bed had disappeared, the comfort of the down pillow and comforter had all but vanished. The only time she felt this feeling was in his arms. Turning her head into the weightlessness she felt she smelled the paint and cologne mixed together on his skin. The scent was comforting, a feeling of safety and security came over her as she inhaled the scent that meant she was home.

Letting out a soft sigh her arms went around his neck and she smiled in her sleep. It was a dream, one she loved to have. He would come to the find her there on the couch asleep after studying throughout the night, scoop her up into his arms and carry her into their bedroom. The paint scent was always overwhelming but it was something she loved it was how she first knew that he was the one for her, that feeling she would have just from his scent.

Nuzzling against his neck she felt his hand caress her back and she kissed his neck softly. It was a dream, she knew it had to be a dream because she remembered falling asleep in Eve and Thomas’ Brownstone in the guest bedroom. She didn’t want to open her eyes for fear of breaking the spell, the spell that was John McBain. “I’m never letting you go.” She heard him whisper against her ear.

Evangeline frowned in her sleep and opened her eyes slowly, the words were just to real, just to in the moment for it not to be real. “John!” She snapped opening her eyes and staring at him in shock.
“Go back to sleep I’ve got you.” He said softly kissing her on the forehead.

“Put me down!” she yelled hitting his chest, “Put me down now!”
John stopped at the foyer of the brownstone and slowly set her on her bare feet. “What the hell are you doing?” she said fixing her pajamas, smoothing her hair down.
“I’m taking you home.” He said grabbing her hand.

Evangeline pulled it back, “I can’t… please go.” She said walking to the door.
“Go, if I’m going you’re coming with me.” He said slamming the door shut and pushing himself into her. John wrapped his arm around her stomach holding her against the wall.
“John please, stop…” She said pushing his hand away, “I need time to process all of this.”
He watched her turn around to face him, “You do believe me don’t you?” He said softly staring her in the eyes.

“I…I…I…” She stammered and walked backwards away from him, “I don’t know what to believe, honestly John.”
“No, No…” he said rushing her, “I’m no letting you run from this, we have a commitment to each other damn it!” He yelled.

“Shhh… you’re going to wake your mom and Claudia.”
“I DON’T CARE!” He shouted at her. Tears started to form in both of their eyes as he advanced on her and she continued to move backwards at a slow pace. “We belong together, why is it so hard for you to see that!”

Evangeline shook her head trying to process everything, “I know that John. Trust me I know that, I couldn’t fight it if I wanted to.” She said staring him in his eyes.
“Good, then come back home with me. We can talk this out we can get through this together, but we have to get through it together, I can’t lose you baby.” He said walking up to her.

“John just go, I can’t talk about this right now with you. I can barely stand thinking of it, knowing what was going on right up under my nose. You talk about commitment.”
“Yes we have one!” He snapped interrupting her, “That damn ring on your finger symbolizes everything that we mean to each other. If you can’t get past this tell me now.”

Evangeline fingered her ring looking into his eyes, they were just as red as hers. He’d been crying over this, just as she had. Why can’t people just leave them the hell alone! “If you don’t want me tell me now.” John said softly walking up to her, “I’ll leave if you tell me that you don’t love me, that we can’t get past this.” He said touching the side of her face.

She turned her head away from his hand and John let out a frustrated sigh, “Don’t let it end over this, we can get through this. I just need you to listen to me, let me explain.” He said lowering his head to hers placing his forehead against hers. Evangeline continued to play with her promise ring feeling his hands come around her waist pulling her into his body. His hands felt so soft against the fabric of her pajamas, his scent swept her away and she let out a sigh as the tears trickled down her cheeks.

He used the pads of his thumbs to wipe away her tears, “God I hate to see you cry, I hate that I’ve gotten us to this position.”
“Why couldn’t you just tell me?’ she asked turning her head back and forth against his.
John sighed as he continued to gently caress her back and enjoy feeling her body against his. “I don’t know… I couldn’t remember. I was trying to help you get over what happened to you. I didn’t think it happened baby.”

Evangeline put her hands to his chest pushing him away, “I need time to think this through, all of it. You’ve done so much, you say that we have a commitment to each other then you should have told me this. All of it, we could have worked together to help you remember what happened John. Don’t you get that! You pushed me away with this, you kept this a secret.”

“I was protecting you damn it! It’s always been about protecting you, keeping you safe, loving you till neither of us are on this planet. Why can’t you see that!” he said frustrated.
“Time, can you please just give me some time…”
“How long, an hour, a day, a week, a year, ten years! How long am I going to have to suffer without you? Because I’m telling you right now baby, I can’t be in the same city with you and not be near you, not sleep next to you, kiss you, feel you. It just doesn’t work like that for me.”

Evangeline frowned as she walked close to him narrowing her eyes into angry slits, “You actually think I want this!” She hissed, “You think I want to be here in this house away from you.”
“Then come home.” He pleaded, “Come with me.”
“Go, please… leave me alone for now.” She said staring up at him.
“I can’t do that.”
“You love me you will. I’m not saying this is over not by a long shot but I need to think this through…” She said hitting her head softly, “There’s so much John, we’ve been through so much and I just need time to get my head around it. Promise me you’ll stay away, I’ll contact you when I’m ready to talk.”

“No” he said shaking his head, “I won’t let you push me away.”
“I’m not…” She said honestly.
“You are, you’re pushing me away, your running from me from what we have please don’t do that.”
Evangeline stared at him and shook her head. Turning around she walked away back to the bedroom he took her from. Closing the door slowly she locked it and then climbed into the bed pulling her legs to her chest. She just needed time, she could get through this, they could get through this with time.

John watched her go wanting to reach out and pull her back to him, hell throw her over his shoulder and carry her back to the damn apartment. Rubbing his hands over his face he stared down the hallway he let her disappear down. John turned disappointed on his heels and headed for the door. Hailing a cab in the dead of the night he sat quietly shattered in the back of it on the way home, alone.

~Next Morning

John nodded as Todd and Andrea passed him walking into the apartment, “Thanks for coming guys.” He said smiling at them. His eyes blood shot with dark circles around them.

Todd looked up at him and patted his shoulder, “She’ll come back.” He said softly.
John forced a smile and nodded, “I hope she does.”
“Did you find out where she was? Todd and I were all over the city yesterday looking.” Andrea said getting herself some juice for the fridge.

John sat down on the couch pushing aside the pillows and blankets his father left, “She’s at my parent’s house.”
“Why there?” Todd questioned.
John shrugged his shoulders as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, “What’s all this?” Todd asked looking at the pillows and blankets, “Have an over night guest did we?”
“Yeah my dad.” He said rolling his eyes before closing them and resting his head against the back of the couch. “He insisted that he stay last night so I let him.” John said softly.

“I’m glad you had someone here last night John.” Andrea said coming over to sit next to Todd. “Do you think Van would be up to seeing me?”
“She needs everyone’s support right now. I can have Jason take you there.” John said softly staring at her with hope in his eyes.
“I’ll see what I can do John, she can’t stay away that long. I know how much she missed you during high school and how much it pained her to think that you didn’t love or want her. She just needs time okay?”
“You know I’m truly getting sick of that word. Time, what the hell is it! I mean is she talking an hour, a day, a week what? I know Evangeline she’ll think this through till it makes her sick and convince herself that this was either her fault or that I never wanted her in the first place. It’s something that I can’t have her thinking.” He said shaking his head and rising from the couch.

“Make yourself at home, I need to shower and change.” He said heading to the bedroom.
“He’s heart broken.” Andrea said watching him go, “I’ve never seen him like this.”
“It’s the same when they were spilt up the first time. He goes into this deep depression, it’s really hard to watch. No matter what I think he may have done losing her is the worst thing possible for him, for her, for them both.” Todd said frowning.

Andrea rose from the couch and walked around the apartment, “I hate to leave like this, god I hate it. But school starts next week, I need to get back.”
Todd walked up to her and wrapped his arms around her waist as he nuzzled her neck, “I know you love them both, don’t worry I’ll take care of them both. Get to the bottom of this thing.”
“This thing, why do you say it like that?” She asked turning around.

Todd smiled and kissed her nose, “I don’t know, I just have this gut feeling.” He said touching his stomach, “That there is more to all of this than meets the eye. John can’t remember what happened that night, that’s not normal. I’m beginning to think that she did drug him.” He said releasing her.

Todd paced the apartment and Andrea sat on the ledge of the window watching him, “So what you think this is some kind of set up?” she asked shaking her head.
“It makes sense, I mean first like you said that shit happens to Evangeline and on the same night John is getting the same thing done to him. I’m on the verge of losing my position at the paper. It’s like…”
“Someone’s out to get all three of you.” She finished.

He looked over at her and nodded, “You’re about to go into investigator mode aren’t you.” She said with a half smile.
He nodded at her to come over to him and Andrea walked slowly over to him placing her arms around his neck, “I am, want to help while you’re still here?”
“You want my help?”
“Besides Thomas and Eve, you’re the only one that Evangeline will talk to. I’ve got John covered.”
“What do you need me to do?”
“Just talk to her, get her to see that John wouldn’t cheat on her.”
“I think she knows that Todd.”
“Well drill it into her head. We’re going to need her help to fight through this just as much. Someone’s out to destroy what all three of us have and it’s not going to be a fair battle without her around to help.”

Andrea nodded and pulled her arms from around him, “I can do that. Let me get over there now.”
“Call me if you need anything.” He called after her as she walked to the elevator.
“That I can do.” Andrea said slamming the elevator doors shut.

Todd turned on his feet and walked back to the bedroom, knocking on the door he pushed it open slowly to see John sitting on the bed with his head in his hands and a towel wrapped around his waist, “John.” He said softly standing at the door.

John wiped at his hair and looked up at Todd, “Yeah man.”
“Andrea went to talk with Van, is there anything I can do?”
“Help me get her back.” He said laughing.

“I plan on doing that, hell I need her back too. She’s furious with me as well man. It’s too hard not having her in your life even after only one day. I don’t know how you’re dealing?”
“I’m not.”
“Well I believe you man.”
“Excuse me?” John asked confused.
“Something isn’t adding up man. Both you and Evangeline were basically attacked in the same manner on the same night roughly at the same time, some things weird about the whole thing.”
“Are you saying you think someone’s behind this?” John asked staring at him confused.

“I’m not the only one, Andrea thinks so as well.” Todd offered walking further into the room.
“What do we do?”
“We find out all we can about this Brooke girl, she didn’t do this by herself. If she is really pregnant then it’s someone’s baby!” Todd stated. “I need you to tell me everything you remember.” He said pulling out a note pad.

John looked up at him confused, “You carry a note pad around?”
“Hell yeah I do, I’m in the business of news. Gotta keep one handy incase I run into something shocking and intriguing. My sole priority now though is figuring out what happened that night.”
John rose from the bed and walked to the closet, he pulled on a pair of pants and a tee shirt before coming back out, “Thanks man.”
“I’m not doing this just for you John, she hates me just as much as you right now.” Todd said staring at him over his note pad, “So let’s get started, I need you to tell me everything you know about her and what happened that night, don’t leave anything out.”

~

Thomas pushed open the door to the bedroom after knocking and waiting, “Evangeline dear are you okay?”
Evangeline turned over and smiled at Thomas, “Morning.” She said softly smoothing her hair down and pulling her covers up.
Thomas set the tea on the side table and stood next to the bed, “Claudia made you some tea and breakfast whenever you’re ready.”
“Thank you…” She said softly. Thomas walked to the door and turned around, “Are you okay dear?”

She nodded and smiled softly, “I don’t know.”
“John told me what happened.”
“I figured as much.” She said looking away. “He came here last night.”
“Excuse me?” Thomas asked confused, “What are you talking about. I was there with him last night.”
“You stayed at the apartment last night!” Evangeline asked shocked, “What why?”

Thomas smiled as he sat in the chair across from the bed, “My son needed me. So I was there, it’s something new I’m trying because someone I know showed me that I need to be there for him more.” He said smiling at her.

Evangeline lowered her head blushing at his compliment, “I was just trying to get John and you guys as well something you were missing. Family is very important.”
“You say that now, but when was the last time you spoke to your father Evangeline?”
“What?”
“You brought our son back to us, he screwed up and that screw up could possibly cost him the best thing in his life, namely you. But through all of this he’s been working to get in good with your father. Did you know that?”
“No…” She mumbled shaking her head.
Thomas pushed up from his seat, “I know this is hard all of this, but he needs you to fight with him if you believe in him and what you two share. He’s worked very hard to convince your father that he wouldn’t screw up what you two had and now you’re on the verge of leaving him. Do you think your father was right about my boy?”

“No…”
“Well good, prove that to him. You know John better than I I’m sad to say, you know that he wouldn’t do this.”
“I do.”
“Good, Claudia left you some breakfast if your hungry.” He said walking to the door.
“Thank you Thomas your and Eve’s hospitality has been wonderful.”
“This is your house as well dear, you’re always welcome.” He said opening the door, “Let either of us know if you need anything. I’ll be out at the office for the rest of the day but don’t hesitate to call me there, you know the number and my secretary knows to put through any calls from anyone in the family.”
“Thank you Thomas.”
“It’s my pleasure Evangeline.” He said with a wink.

Walking through the apartment he kissed Eve on the lips before heading to the car. His driver was waiting outside as a cab pulled up and Andrea stepped out, “Mr. McBain.”
“Andrea…” he said stopping at the open door to the town car awaiting him, “What are you doing here?”
She paid the cab driver and closed the door, “I’m here to see Evangeline she needs a good friend right now.”
Thomas walked back up to the door opening it for Andrea and then followed her in, “She does she’s in the guest room down the hallway. Thank you for coming.” He said smiling at her.
“I wouldn’t want to be any other place.” She said smiling at him. Thomas watched her go down the hallway to the bedroom and turned to head into the office.

~
“We can’t do this by ourselves Todd.” John said walking into his art studio as he finished telling him everything he could remember.

Todd sat down on a crate as John retraced his steps that night. He looked around, “You haven’t been in here in a while have you?”
“Nope, no time. I’ve been helping with Evangeline and rather take pictures than paint right now anyway.”
“So you came in here after she left right?”
“Yeah, turned up the music.”
“I remember when I came in it was blaring, thought you were back here actually. This is where I came first. Why’d you leave it on?”

“I don’t know… I was painting, thinking of how I should have been at your party and what have you. I think I started to feel dizzy, or sick to my stomach…” He said walking around the art studio.
“Okay did you have anything with you while you were in here?”
“Why do you ask?”
Todd rose and walked slowly around the studio, “I saw a bottle of wine on the counter top when I came in John, the bottle was empty what were you doing drinking?”

John turned to look at him, “I wasn’t, what makes you think I was?”
“There were two glasses, one with lipstick one without. I assumed.”
“You assumed wrong, I had water that night. Got a bottle from the fridge, set it on the counter top next to my keys.” He said with his eyes closed trying to remember everything, it was slowly coming together.

“Did you drink it all?”
“I think…” John looked around, “There…that’s the bottle.” Todd looked behind him on the small crate and picked up the bottle, “You sure?”
“You see any other water bottles in here Manning. I drank most of it. Somes still left.” He said looking at the bottle.
“I’m going to get this tested.”
“Tested?”
“Uh yeah, you say she drugged you, well if she did this would prove it.”
“Umm Todd it’s been three months you really think there is any trace of it left? I mean come on now!”

“Shit man if this can prove that, that tramp drugged you are you telling me you don’t want to take that chance?”
“Where Todd, where would she get it, why would she do it?”
“You ask her that when you see her, actually don’t. Let her go on thinking you can’t remember that night while we find out all we can about her and what her motive behind this maybe. Promise me you’ll stay cool around her.”
“I want to wring her scrawny neck for doing this shit! Get that bottle to a lab, I know my dad has one you can use.” He said rubbing his face and head. “I need her back man and that bottle maybe the only thing that can get her back.”

Todd nodded as he turned to leave the room. John followed him blowing out deep sighs and scratching his head, “Thank you for believing in me, now if I can get Evangeline to believe me as well.” He said holding the elevator open for him.
“In due time man, Andrea’s with her now, if she can get her to see it then we’ll both get her back. I’m going to go to your dad’s office so I can see what he can do for us.”
“Thanks man.”
“No problem, stay strong she’ll be back.”

~

“Thank you for coming Andrea.” Evangeline said squeezing her hands, “I didn’t think anyone knew I was here, besides John.”
“Well we all know where you are and I know you need time but I need you to listen to something.” She said leaning forward and brushing Evangeline’s hair from her face.
“If it’s about John, I don’t want to hear it. I need time to understand everything why he would do this, then lie about it. That’s not the John I know. That’s some asshole who’s only out to get his jollies by screwing random woman.” She said shaking her head.

Andrea couldn’t help but laugh and Evangeline looked up at her with a half smile, “I sound insane don’t I?”
“A little. Come on you and I both know John and we know he wouldn’t he couldn’t sleep with another person drugged or sober. You’re it for him Van.”
“What did you want to say?” She asked changing the subject.
“It’s about Todd.”
“No…no…no…” Evangeline said getting out of the bed and reaching for the robe to the pajamas, “He’s just as guilty in all of this as John is. He lied to me as well Andrea. No, I’m not listening about him either.”

Andrea rolled her eyes and looked over at her friend as she paced back and forth, “Well then listen to what I have to say. I haven’t lied to you through all of this have I?”
Tightening her robe she slid her hands into its pockets and let out a deep breath, “No, you haven’t. So what do you have to say?”
Andrea turned completely around on the bed sitting crossed legged and smiled at her, “Listen do you find it odd that all of this happened on the same night?”
“What?”

“Okay, okay here me out… This may take a minute but hear me out okay?”
“Fine…” Evangeline mumbled.
“First John meets this girl that helps him and then as repayment wants him to paint her. He turns her down but you come in and say it would be a good idea, now I’m not blaming you in the least but maybe that was her plan all along.”
“What, I don’t get what your saying.” She said shaking her head confused.

“So you get John to paint her, and then you catch them with her half naked, maybe that wasn’t the intent but it worked. You two fought and he didn’t go to Todd’s party opening the window for her.”
“Window…?”
“Yeah, for her to drug John and get him in bed, most likely for you to walk in on them together and end your relationship then and there, I mean finding your boyfriend in bed with another woman would crush you.”
Evangeline held up her hand to stop Andrea from talking, “Wait… are you saying someone set John and I up?”
“No, not just you and John but Todd as well. You know since he beat up that Shane kid he’s on suspension. He might not make editor because of it. It’s all been a set up Van.”

Evangeline sat staring at Andrea as she rattled off her conspiracy theory in disbelief, “It was a coincidence, that’s all. No one is out to get the three of us.” She said not believing it, “John wasn’t drugged he slept with that woman because he was getting back at me for going to Todd’s party over going to dinner with him and some other friends of ours.”

Andrea scooted to the end of the bed and grabbed her by the shoulders, “Do you hear yourself. John slept with someone over a fight and you going to dinner with Todd and not him, you honestly can’t believe that!”
“I know what I saw last night, that girl is pregnant and says it’s John’s.”
“You’re going to take the word of a tramp that you know for a fact hit on your boyfriend shit she threw herself at him, over the man you’ve spent the past four years loving. If you are I don’t know you… That’s not the Evangeline I’ve known.” She said shaking her head.

“You believe this to be true?”
“I don’t know if what I say is the exact way it happened, but it could be close too it.”
Evangeline looked at her unsure of her feelings regarding all of this, “This is too much, how did you come up with this, was this John’s idea? Todd’s?”
“No, actually it was mine. I mean all three of you on the same night have something happen to you that could jeopardize your future???” Andrea said walking up to her, “It doesn’t make any sense Evangeline and I think you are starting to realize this now.”

Evangeline walked around the room gnawing on the inside of her jaw as she twisted her ring around her finger and staring at the ground. “I’m so lost, confused…” she mumbled.

“Just think about what I said that’s all you have to do, take it under consideration.” She said walking to the door, “I came to see how you were and you look good all things considering. I also came to tell you this, and that I think both Todd and John are going to work to prove Brooke the lying two faced bitch that I know you know she is. The thing is are you going to be with them through this? Or are you going to run and hide?”

Andrea left Evangeline alone in the room to her own thoughts to ponder everything that was going on in her life and with the people she considered family.

~ A few days later…

“She still won’t see me Todd.” John said exasperated by this separation. “My dad keeps me informed on what’s going on in her life but it’s not the same. I’m freaking loosing it man!” he said throwing his hand up in his hand up in the air.

“Give her time, it’s only been a few days. You know Evangeline she’s a thinker.”
“I know I just wish she was thinking here with me, not sitting in my parent’s brownstone going over and over all these things that we’ve fed her.”
Todd blew out a sigh, “Your dad had the bottle sent away to get tested. We should know something definitive in the next seventy two hours.”
“Thanks man for handling that, what have you found out about Brooke?”
“Nothing really, her record is pretty clean, only one ticket and that was for a broken tail light. Other than that I have someone checking out her employment history.”

John ran his hand through his hair and frowned, “Thanks for all of this really. I have to meet Brooke down at the medical center in a few hours. I’m having the DNA test done.”
“Good, good… don’t let her guilt you into anything John, stay strong man you’ll have too.”
“Thanks I plan on it. Keep me updated on everything that’s going on, I need to know so when Van’s ready to see me I’ll have proof of what Brooke did.”
“Got it, need to finish helping Andrea pack she’s heading to the airport.”
“Van’s not going?”
“No, she doesn’t want to see me either. They said their good byes last night at dinner without me.”
“Sorry man, really I am.”
“Yeah well, I shouldn’t have listened to your sorry ass when you said you were going to handle it.” He said chuckling, “Well get her back man trust me.”

John hung up the phone tucking it in his pocket and finished getting ready to meet Brooke at the hospital.

~
Evangeline walked into the sitting room to see Eve meeting with the some of the redecorators, “I’m sorry am I interrupting.” She said softly.
“No, no… come in please.” Eve said waving her in.

Evangeline looked at her, her eyes were blood shot red and the pill bottle was sitting on the sit table next to her tea. She looked her up and down and started to worry, “Eve are you alright?”
“Fine dear, have a seat… you can help. I’ve been trying to pick colors for the upstairs bathroom.”

Evangeline sat down slowly next to Eve and smiled at her, “I won’t stay long. I have a group session at the hospital in a few, I just wanted to see if you needed anything while I was out.” She said smiling at her.
“You’re so sweet. I’m good thank you, Claudia did the shopping earlier today.” She said touching her face softly, “Isn’t she just a doll.” Eve said turning to the decorator who nodded and smiled. “This girl is the light of my son’s eye. Soon she’ll be the light of this family’s eye and carrying on the next generation of McBain’s.” Eve said touching Evangeline’s stomach.

Evangeline pulled Eve’s hand free and smiled politely at them both, “Excuse me I have to finish getting ready then I’ll be gone for a few hours. I have my cell phone got it back from Andrea so if you need me don’t hesitate to call.” She said grinning at Eve.

Eve reached over taking another pill and Evangeline frowned, “Sure dear….” She said lowering her head.
~

John walked through the hospital prenatal wing wringing his hands. He stopped as Brooke walked up to him smiling and touching her stomach, “I wasn’t sure if you were going to come.” She said smiling at him.

“I’m only here to prove that child isn’t mine, how long is this going to take?” John asked looking around nervously.
Brooke reached out and touched his hands bringing them to her stomach. John pulled back, “Don’t do that, that is not my child.” He said staring her in the eyes.
“Every time you say that it hurts, I wish you would stop.” She said choking back tears. “This is your child and no matter how much you deny it, it will continue to be true. We shared a magical night together and created another life.” She said softly looking up at him.

John took a step back feeling nauseated from being in her presence. He shook his hands through his hair as they waited for the nurse to call Brooke’s name. “I’ll be back, I need a breather.” He said glancing over at her.
“Don’t be too long I want you in the room with me when this happens.”
“Oh trust me, I’ll be there. I’m not giving you another opportunity to make my life hell with your games.”

Brooke sat down in the waiting chairs as John left to take a break from her. Looking over her shoulder as John left Brooke pulled out her cell phone, “We’re here… is everything set up?”
“Yes. You know what to do right?”
“I’ve got it covered, I better go before he gets back.”
“Is he buying it?”
“Ha! That’s some funny shit babe, of course not. This better work in our favor.”
“It will if you do what I tell you.”

~
John took the stairs to the first floor to get some air. Coming around the corner he ran smack into her, “Hi…” he mumbled steadying her by the arms.
Evangeline took a step back shocked to see him and fixed her shirt, “What are you doing here John?”
“Nothing, are you here for your session?” he asked looking over his shoulder.
“I just got done you knew that.”
“I’m sorry, I wasn’t trying too…” He said staring at her. Taking in everything in about her, she was beautiful, “You look beautiful.” He whispered reaching out to touch her face and hair.

Evangeline sighed as his hand made contact with her face her eyes closed to his touch and her lips parted. John smiled, she was coming around it was written all over her face, she was coming back to him. “I miss you baby.” He said softly leaning forward.

Evangeline placed her hand over his prying it from her face and let go of his hand before taking a step to pass him. “How much longer?” He asked staring down the hall with his back to her.
Evangeline shook her head and looked over her shoulder, “Don’t push.”
“I’m not I just want to know how much longer I have to sleep in that bed by myself.”
“The bed you shared with her?”
“No, actually I bought a new bed. The one you wanted originally.” He said turning around and walking up to her.

Evangeline kept her back to him, feeling his face brush against the side of her cheek, “You haven’t shaved.” She whispered.
“Trying something new.” He mumbled as his breath blew across her ear sending chills down her spine, “You like it?”
“Don’t know.” She whispered feeling his hand come up to her hip and gently rest on it. “It’s different. I like different.”

“Then I’ll keep it.” He said as his other hand played with the ends of her hair, “Even apart we’re still in sync.”
“How?”
“I’ve been thinking about you all day, hoping that I would run into you, to be able to touch you, feel you, inhale that perfume that makes my knees go weak and here you are.”

She moaned softly feeling his hand come around her body and onto her stomach pulling her into his chest, “John…”
“Evangeline…” he moaned kissing her ear lobe.
She put her hand over his prying his hand from her stomach and stepping out of his hold. She felt his hands in her hair as she walked away from him not saying another word. Tears in both of their eyes, why couldn’t she just talk to him. Turning around he headed back up stairs, he never needed air he just wanted to take the chance of seeing her again, feeling her again. He had his opportunity but it wasn’t enough, it’s never enough.
~
“When will we find out about the test results?” John questioned as the doctor labeled the results.
“In about forty eight hours. We’ll call Ms. Davison into the office to give her the results.”
“Thank you doctor.” Brooke said smiling at her.
“It was my pleasure, see you in a few days.” She said leaving the room.

“Call me when they have the results.” John said leaving the room.
“John wait!”
“No. Call me when they have the results and only then.” He said cutting his eyes from her.

John pushed opened the door and walked away from her. He wasn’t about to get any more involved with her than he had too. Hailing a cab John slid into the car still able to smell her scent in his nose feel her soft flesh against his body. He relished in the amount of contact he shared with her today, she was coming closer to believing him and this DNA test would help.
~
Evangeline sat across from Thomas smiling as he talked about business and his latest acquisitions. She watched as Eve popped another pill and worried about how many she had taken in the past day. “I saw John today.” She said softly.

Thomas dropped his fork and Eve looked over at her shocked, “What did he say?” she said excited by this news.
“Not much, he misses me.” She said with her head down.
“Of course honey, how much longer is this going to go on between you two?” Thomas asked slightly annoyed that she hadn’t given him the chance to say anything.

Evangeline looked up at him hurt, “As long as I need Thomas!” She snapped glaring at him.
“Thomas mind yourself.”
“She’s being unreasonable here. It’s been nearly a week and she still hasn’t allowed him to see her!” he snapped at Eve.
“This is my life and my heart I’m not going to let you tell me how to live it!” Evangeline shouted at him.
“My boy has done nothing wrong and you’re punishing him like…”

“Like he’s you!” Eve shouted.
Thomas turned and glared at her, “Excuse me!”
“You heard me, as you would say I didn’t stutter Thomas. John is not you and Evangeline is not me. She won’t stay around if the man she loves, the only man she’s ever loved is cheating on her with younger woman.” She shouted and rose from her seat.

“I understand your pain because I’ve had to live it for the past twenty five years. It doesn’t get any easier than learning about it the second time.” Eve said staring at Evangeline with tears brimming in her eyes, “Take your time, I know John isn’t anything like my Thomas he’s better” Eve spat turning to glare at Thomas, “You can sleep in the second floor guest bedroom Thomas.” Eve said walking away from the table.

Evangeline sat stunned at display and outburst that she just witnessed. Thomas looked over at her red in the face and rose from the table, “Excuse me I have a business call I need to make.” He said nodding at her.

Evangeline watched them go the table and dinning room empty now. “Wow…” she mumbled pushing from the table. She didn’t mean to start anything. Evangeline walked back into her bedroom at the brownstone and pulled out her journal she had Thomas picked up for her on one of his visits to check on John and the apartment.

Writing down everything she experienced today she filled up several pages of her journal. Her cell phone sat next to her and she wanted to pick it up and call him, tell him that she loved him and they could get through this, but for some reason she couldn’t do it. Pushing from the bed she decided to go and check on Eve to make sure after that blow up at dinner she was okay.
~
John laid in bed sprawled out hugging her pillow he had covered in her perfume. His cell phone started to ring over and over again and at first he thought it was just his dreams. Rolling over he grabbed the phone and flipped it open, “It’s either really early or really late, whatever your reason for calling better be good.” He mumbled his eyes still closed.

“John…” She said softly through the phone.
John shot up from the bed and rubbed his eyes, “Baby?”
“Yeah…” she said sniffling and crying softly.
“Evangeline, what’s going on? Why are you crying.” He said jumping out of the bed and rushing to put his pants on. “Baby…”
“You need to come to Manhattan General now baby.” She said softly.
“What, no… what’s going on!” He asked panicked.
“Please just get here as soon as you can.”
“I’m leaving now… what’s going on?” He asked grabbing the keys from the countertop.
“Your mom.” She said softly. John shook his head as his heart started to race, not his mom.
Fighting for Family by OLTLfantimes10
John rushed into Manhattan General in a panic. Evangeline told him to get to the hospital and now; there was something wrong with his mom. His mind was swimming with ideas of what happened and why again he wasn’t there to help a woman he loved with their problems.

Walking up to the nurses station John wrung his hands scared as he stared at a nurse who was on the phone. He wanted desperately to grab the phone out of her hand and slam it down in her face, “Excuse me!” He said trying to get her attention. The nurse held up her hand and waved him off. John turned looking for someone he knew or at least another nurse to help him.

Rolling his eyes and walking away he went in search of someone anyone to tell him where his mother was. Hearing her soft cries he picked up his pace almost running and stopped when he saw Evangeline in his dad’s arms crying. Grabbing the wall next to him he froze at the site of them, no she couldn’t be gone not like this. His stomach in knots he walked up to them completely unsure of what was going on or how his mom was.

Evangeline saw him approaching and dropped her arms around Thomas and ran into his. Throwing her arms around his body she buried her face into his chest and John held onto her closely, “I’m sorry… I tried, I tried to do everything….” She cried hard against his chest.

John held her close as he looked up at his dad who for the first time in his life had tears in his eyes, his hair a mess, his hands shaking, he looked destroyed. John pulled her away from his chest and cupped her face in his hands, “What happened?” he croaked out looking up at his dad and then back into her eyes.

Evangeline shook her head unable to say anything, the words stuck in her throat she stared into his blue eyes and touched the side of his face, “I tried to do everything I could…” she cried softly her voice cracking with every word, “I don’t…”

John pulled her back into his chest as she shook her head back and forth against his chest and he stroked his hair and rocked her back and forth. Thomas walked up to them and John looked at him as he held Evangeline to his body, “What…what…” he tried to choke out.

Thomas touched Evangeline’s back trying to calm her cries as he swallowed trying to find the words to tell his son what happened. “Your mom overdosed on the pain medication she was taking.”
“I tried to do what I learned.” Evangeline cried as she held tighter onto John.
He looked down at her confused and back at his dad, “What is she talking about?” He asked softly.
“Evangeline found her in the bedroom John. The pill bottle was empty and she was unconscious on the bed.”

“Oh god…” he muttered. He let go of Evangeline feeling as if he was going to pass out from the news. He sat down in the chairs outside of the hospital rooms to steady himself. He looked up at Evangeline and his father who booth looked shattered by this. “I don’t…I don’t…understand what happened?”

“I don’t know John.” Evangeline said sitting next to him. “I went to check on her after dinner and I…” She mumbled closing her eyes and lowering her head. “I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry…” She said rocking back and forth.
John wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head, “Can we see her?”
“In a few minutes they had to pump her stomach.”
“Why would she do this, I don’t understand, what happened tonight? She was doing well.”

Evangeline looked up at Thomas who looked over at her. John caught the quick glance between her and his father and slowly let her go. “Dad, can I talk to you for a moment?” He asked softly as he walked away from Evangeline.
Thomas nodded as they turned from her and walked down the hallway. “What was that about?” John asked softly as he stared his father in the eyes.

“Please John, let’s not do this here. Your mother is in there fighting for her life.”
John closed his eyes and shook his head, “Why do I think you have something to do with it?” He said softly staring at him.
“I don’t know why your mom decided to take all those pills, you’ll have to ask her that.”
“You know and Evangeline knows why don’t you both just tell me.”

Thomas rubbed his face and blew out a soft sigh, “We had a fight at dinner tonight okay.”
“About what?” John demanded.
“You, Evangeline, our relationship. She just blew John.” He said exasperated. “I’m sorry this is my fault.”
“Damn straight it’s your fault Dad!” He seethed, “If she dies, I will never forgive you for this.”
“You don’t have to worry about that John I won’t be able to forgive myself.” Thomas said walking away from his son.

John watched him leave heartbroken. Turning back he saw Evangeline still sitting in the chairs rocking back and forth as she hugged her body. Running his hands through his hair he walked slowly back over to her and knelt down in front of her. He placed his hand on her cheek gently stroking it with his thumb. Her eyes opened and locked with his, “I’m so sorry John…I tried to help.” She said softly.

John shook his head and forced a weak smile at her as he continued to stroke her face with one hand and squeeze her thigh with the other, “I don’t blame you for any of this, if anything you saved my mother.”
Evangeline leaned forward touching her forehead against his and John let out a soft sigh, “What’s with you and saving us McBain’s?” he whispered rubbing his nose against hers.
“You’re a part of my family as well, I should have done more John…I knew she was taking too many of those pills.”

“She wouldn’t have listened to you.” He said softly as her hands went into his head and she pulled gently at his hair.
“Then I should have told you or your father, you two could have done something I couldn’t.”
“You did something I couldn’t baby. You saved her, you saved me.” He said kissing her lips softly. Evangeline sighed as she came in closer feeling his lips parting hers and his tongue slowly sliding into her mouth. His hand went into her hair pulling her closer she was back.

Evangeline pulled back and touched her lips, “We shouldn’t…” she said sitting back in her seat.
“I need you Evangeline. I can’t do this on my own.” He whispered against her face, “Please don’t keep pushing me away…”
“Go check on your mom. She needs you right now, I can wait.” She said smiling and touching his lips, “We can wait.”
“We?”

Evangeline nodded and smiled, “Yes there’s a we again, there never wasn’t a we?” she said smiling.
John smiled and kissed her quickly on the lips, “I’m going to go check on my mom, will you be here when I get back?” He wondered pulling her from the chair.
Evangeline wrapped her arms around his waist burying her face into his chest and sighing as she felt his hands move up her back and hold her tightly to his chest, “I’m not going anywhere.” She said against his chest as she kissed the underside of his chin, “I’m going to fight with you and for you.”

John’s eyes closed at her words and he squeezed her tighter to his chest and gently ran his other hand through her hair, “Thank you…” he said kissing the top of her head, “Thank you so much.”
“Thank you for the time John. It’s all I need to get everything in perspective, I’m so sorry it took so long. If I had just gone back to you sooner then this wouldn’t have happened.”
He pulled out of the embrace and eyed her from the top of her head to the bottom of her toes and back up again, “You don’t know that, no one knows that.” He stated shaking his head back and forth.

“Go, your mom needs you right now. I promise you I’ll be here when you come back.”
“Then you’ll come back home?”
“I wouldn’t want to be any place else.” She said winking at him and giving him a quick kiss, “Please give Eve my best.”
“I will.” He stated fingering the sides of her hair and smiling at her.

John turned and headed toward the same direction he saw his father go into. Peering into the rooms he finally found his mom hooked to a ton of machines and his father sitting at her side with his head lowered against the side of the bed.

He pushed the door open and his father looked up at him with tears in his eyes, “How is she?” John asked walking to the side of the bed taking his mothers hand into his and kissing the tops of her knuckles.
“The doctors are hopeful. They gave her something to sleep because they had to pump her stomach.”
“Why didn’t you see this coming?” he asked reaching for a seat and pulling it up next to the bed. He leaned forward and pushed her soft auburn colored locks from her face gently cupping the side of her face and trying to put on a strong face.

Thomas didn’t answer John and continued to hold his wife’s hand and gently stroke the back of it. “I asked you a question Dad.” John said again softly.
“I didn’t think she would go to these lengths son.” Thomas stated as he continued to stare at his wife. Trying desperately to stay strong for all of them.

John looked over at his father with disgust, “You think she did this on purpose?” he asked softly.
Thomas looked up at him, “She was devastated over you and Evangeline.”
“She thought I was turning into you!” he snapped. “I’m nothing like you!”
Thomas shook his head and gently lowered Eve’s hand back to the side of her, “I know that John, you are a much better man than I.” he said leaving the room.

John turned to look back at his mother and sighed, “Why did you do this mom?” he said softly
lowering his head to the gurney.

~

Thomas walked out of the room and looked down at the hallway toward Evangeline. Walking to her she rose to her feet as she continued to hug her body, “How is she?” she asked wiping at the corner of her eyes.
“John’s in there with her now, the doctor’s say she’s going to get passed this.”
“I’m sorry I started that at dinner tonight.” She whispered lowering her head to the ground.

Thomas smirked and scratched the top of his head, “You didn’t do this Evangeline and I don’t want you to blame yourself. This is my fault, everything that happens in this family is my fault. I’ve made so many mistakes over the years and I honestly thought we were getting passed it.”
“If I hadn’t said anything about seeing John earlier today then it wouldn’t have happened. She wouldn’t have…” She said.

Thomas smiled at her and touched the side of her face before sliding his hands back into his suit pockets. “It’s not that at all, we don’t know what would have happened, you can’t know.” He said rocking back and forth on his heels.

“What I do know is that I’ve caused enough pain and suffering for everyone in this family including yourself. I’ve made terrible mistakes in my past and first they cost me my wife, then my son Michael and then John. I was and this family is fortunate enough that you entered our lives and helped to put us back together, but that didn’t fix the problems we still had.”
“Thomas, we’ve all made mistakes, caused pain to the people we say we love and care the most about, it’s what we do. We’re human…” she said smiling at him.

“I wish I could change the things I’ve done to cause everyone around me so much pain.”
“If you did, then I wouldn’t have John. No matter what you think, what problems you’ve had in your life, what lies you’ve told because of them and the mistakes we’ve both made I have John in my life.”
“He would have found you even if I was the most respectful husband, even I was just like my boy. He would have found you…you two are meant to be. Just like I thought Eve and I were.” He said shaking his head and taking a seat.

Evangeline smiled as she sat back down next to Thomas, “I don’t know what you’ve done in your past why both John and Eve fear him becoming like you. I don’t care. The past is the past, right now I admire the man you are here in the present and the man I know you can be. Even thought they both fear it I see the way John looks at you, he wants to make you proud, he’s the most scared when he fears he’s disappointed you.” She said staring at the nurse’s station.

Thomas looked at her and scoffed, “That is the last thing I would expect to hear from you, that my John Thomas admires his father.”
“He does, your strength, your wisdom, your decisiveness.” She said nodding and smiling, “You may not see it but I do.”
“It’s funny he wants to make me proud of him, make sure he doesn’t disappoint me, that’s how I feel. I don’t want to disappoint him, everything I’ve done in the past four years since he’s come back to us is to make him proud of me, to make him proud to have the last name McBain.”

Evangeline nodded understanding Thomas’ motives over the past years, how he’s been there for John at almost every showing of his work. Bought new buyers to the gallery talking his son up, even helping her with school. Evangeline reached out and touched Thomas’s shoulder, “I know this is hard and you are blaming yourself, that’s the McBain way I’ve noticed, but it doesn’t mean it’s right. You all have a strong family even if you don’t want to admit it, it’s what brings you together and it’s what tears you apart. You want this family, then you fight damn it. You fight to get your wife and son back.”

Thomas nodded and looked over at her, “It’s funny.”
“What?”
“I told Johnny similar words in regards to you, and what you two have. Told him to fight if he wants you, to keep you hold onto what you two share. What Eve and I both envy.”
“Us? You envy us?” she said shocked.
“It’s that love that just is there, it comes off of your bodies when you’re both around each other. You don’t even have to speak to each other to know what the other is feeling, desiring, needing in that moment. I miss that kind of connection with Eve.”

“You’re an old softy!” Evangeline said giggling and bumping shoulders with him. “A big romantic at heart, I see where John gets it from.”
“Me a romantic, nah…” he said shaking his head and laughing.
“I’m sure that’s why Eve fell in love with you and through it all she stayed with you. Like I said I don’t know what happened between you and her earlier on in your relationship and it’s truly none of my business, but if you love her like I’ve seen you love her then you will fight. I know you love John, that’s a given. So fight to take your family back, to heal them. A girl can only do so much!” she said laughing.

Thomas turned to her and kissed her forehead, “Thank you Evangeline Williamson. You are an angel on earth.”
She blushed at his compliment and watched him walk down the hallway back to Eve’s room. Sitting back in the chair she closed her eyes and rested her head against the wall, as she waited for John to take her home.

~

John walked out of the hospital room his eyes bloodshot red as he rubbed them. It was nearly sun up and all he wanted to do was take her home and reclaim what they were missing the past week.

Sitting down next to her John drew his hand across her face and down her neck before leaning in to kiss her lips. “Hey beautiful.” He said pulling back when he heard her moan.
Evangeline shifted and opened her eyes much to her delight, his crystal blues were staring back at her. “How’s your mom.” She said sitting up and stretching.

John yawned and rubbed his face, “They are moving her to a private room and my dad made arrangements to get her the help she needs.” He said softly searching her face and gently running his hands through her hair.

“That’s good John, real good. I’m glad she’s okay.” She said softly her eyes closing against his touch.
“Thanks to you, I have so much to thank you for baby. I plan on spending the rest of my life showing you how much I appreciate you staying with me through it all”
“I don’t have a choice.”
“What do you mean by that?”
“I couldn’t leave you if I tried. You’re here.” She said touching her heart.
“That’s right if you walked away you would be taking my heart with you and I can’t live without a heart.” He said laughing softly.

“Truer words have never been spoken.” Evangeline leaned forward capturing his lips in a soft kiss as her tongue parted his lips and slowly danced around his mouth. John pulled back and smiled, “Let’s go home.” He said rising and offering her his hand.

“Wait, what about your mom.”
“There isn’t anything I can do here now. I want to go home with you.” He said kissing her lips, “That’s the only place I want to be now.”
Evangeline looked over her shoulder toward where Eve was and smiled, “Okay.” She said slipping her hand into his and snuggling against his chest.

John sighed at feeling her body against his again, the softness of her hip and her stomach. They slid into a cab and Evangeline turned her back resting against John’s chest as he fingered the hem of her shirt running his fingers against her stomach and gently kissing the inside of her neck. “I’m glad you’re coming home.” He said against her ear.

“Me too, it’s where I belong, by your side John.” She said looking up at him.
“Damn straight.” He said laughing and kissing her lips from up above. “I’ve missed this, I’ve missed you so much.”
Evangeline rested against him as he lowered his head to her shoulder and closed his eyes holding her tight to his chest, “It hurt not having you.”
“Did you really buy a new bed?” she questioned stroking his thigh up and down slowly.
“I couldn’t sleep in it. It felt tainted. So yes I bought a new bed.”
Evangeline smiled and snuggled closer to him wrapping his arms tighter around her body.

John placed kisses along her neck and shoulder and back up again as he ran his hand up her shirt and gently massaged her breast through her bra. Evangeline sighed at his touch as his tongue gently tickled the back of her ear and came around as he sucked at her ear lobe. She moaned against him and pushed his hand away as it started to try to free her breast, they were in the back of a cab after all, “I’m sure others have done much worse things back here.” He said sliding his hand back over her breast.
“Well I don’t want to be one of them.” She laughed pushing his hand away and sitting up from his hold. “Keep your hands to yourself.” She said pointing her finger at him with a wicked smile.

John groaned as he pushed his hand through his hair and fixed himself in his pants, “Such a tease, such a tease.” He mumbled shaking his head at her.
Evangeline flashed him a half smile as the car crossed the bridge heading back into Tribeca.

John’s knee bounced up and down quickly as the car rounded bend after bend to their apartment. He pulled out his wallet so that he could give the cabbie the right amount of money as soon as they pulled up to the front of the building. Throwing him some cash and a rather sizable tip John jumped out of the car with his keys in his hand and pushed the door open as Evangeline leisurely strolled to the door. He looked at her with lust filled eyes and bit his lower lip as her hand grazed across his chest and she sashayed passed him.

John moaned as his eyes rolled into his head and he closed and locked the door behind him. The elevator stood open waiting for them with Evangeline already inside, a bright smile on her face. John walked up to her and pushed her against the wall kissing her hard on the lips pushing her tongue down her throat as her left leg rise up wrapping it around his legs.

He grabbed her leg as he pushed himself into her deepening the kiss and rubbing seductively against her, “I need you.” He panted as she broke the kiss and her head fell back against the wall exposing her neck to him, “So much, I need you.”
“You have me baby.” She said grabbing roughly at his hair as she moaned and rocked back and forth against his pelvis.

John stopped applying kisses to her neck and placed both of his hands on either side of her and kissed her lips over and over again. He ran his hands slowly down her body grabbing her breasts, missing the feeling of her body in his hands. Her eyes closed and rolled back into her head as his hands continued to roam her body griping her hips and pulling her pelvis into his, “I’ve missed you so much.” He panted as he continued to explore what he missed so dearly.

“Are you sure John, I mean your mom?”
He looked into her eyes that glistened with tears, “All I want to hear from your lips is that you love me, and that you are willing to fight and stand by me.” He said staring at her and sliding his hands through her hair.
She nodded her head quickly and parted her lips before leaning in to kiss him slowly, softly, passionately.

John reached between them and pulled at her shirt pulling it over her head and throwing it to the floor of the elevator, “Why don’t we break in that bed.” She said looking at him as he fought with his own shirt.

John stopped and turned away as he closed the elevator and pushed the button to their apartment. As the elevator stopped Evangeline ran out with John chasing after her. He grabbed her by the wrist and spun her around pushing her up against the hallway wall. He took her hands pinning them above her as his free hand ran down her face over her neck and shoulders and the tops of her breasts. He unclasped the front clasp letting her breasts break free of their restraint.

He marveled at her beauty, something that still took his breath away. “Is there something wrong?” she asked looking at him as his hands shook over her breasts and his eyes let a tear fall.
“I never thought I would be able to touch you again, make love to you again.” He said smiling looking her dead in the eye.
“I’m not going anywhere again, I promise you.” She said with determination and intent in her voice, “I’m committed to you and what we will always share.” She said touching his face as he released her hand.

John nodded and kissed the inside of her palm. Evangeline lowered her other hand from the wall sliding it down his chest and over his pants. They stood locked in an intense stare only lovers shared as she unbutton his pants and pushed them from his hips. John kicked off his shoes and stepped out of his pants before taking her hands and leading her back to the bedroom.

He turned her around pushing her to the bed and John climbed up onto it next to her. The sheets were fresh, the bed a California King with a silver metallic headboard in the different curls and loops.

Evangeline shook her bra free as John lowered his head to kiss her neck and trail soft kisses down her body paying close attention to her breasts and nipples. Taking each breast in his mouth one at a time he feasted on the soft perky mounds that would eventually provide life to their children. His hand fingered the button to her jeans as her hands ran through his hair her back arching from the intense contact his tongue, lips and teeth gave to her breasts.

John unbuttoned her pants and sat up pushing his hair from his eyes as he helped her wiggle out of her jeans throwing them to the side. He crawled back to lay next to her letting his hands hover over her body his eyes closing as he remembered every inch of her body from head to toe.

Evangeline watched him becoming more aroused moment by moment as his hand lowered to her body gently grazing her flesh setting it ablaze. “Can I have you?” he asked softly looking up at her.

Evangeline nodded her head and bit her lower lip as he came on top of her pushing her panties down her hips and off. He lowered his face to hers pressing his forehead against hers his mouth open breathing slowly against her. “I love you Evangeline.” He panted as he parted her legs with his knees.

Evangeline bent her knees spreading them allowing him room feeling him remove his boxer shorts and the immediate pressure of the tip of his penis pressing against her opening, wanting entrance, desiring to be home. She wrapped her legs around his waist crossing them at the ankle to guide him into her.

Opening her eyes as he teased her opening she smiled at him, as he stared down at her. “Make love to me John.” She panted pushing at his body with her legs.
At her command he pushed into her filling her with himself. She sighed from the intimate contact that they shared and wrapped her arms around his body her nails digging into his back as his slow thrusts took over.

Evangeline arched her back giving as good as she got from him, rotating her hips to match his pace, as he pounded into her relentlessly. It felt so good to be at home in her body yet again, the only place that made the whole world disappear was here, when they did this dance.

Raising her body up by her butt he forced himself as deep into her as she could handle and slid all the way out before sliding all the way in, over and over again. The constant friction and movement of his pelvis against hers had her biting down on her lower lip drawing small droplets of blood.

It was intense, overwhelming, soul binding.

She let out deep moans of pleasure turning her head to the side, begging for reprieve, “John…I can’t… wait…how…oh…god…” she said letting her hand fall to the side gripping the sheets beneath them.

She was almost there, almost incoherent she was giving in to what it felt like to be in his arms again, to be home again. John rolled them over allowing her to top and Evangeline braced herself against his chest her head falling forward covering her face. His hand came up between them caressing her breasts and rolling her nipples between his fingers. “Wait…please….I….Oh…” she cried throwing her head back grabbing his calves to bounce quickly on his lap.

John sat up bring her body back to his, burying his face into her chest as he kissed the valley of her breasts and ran his fingers up and down her back. “Tell me you love me.” John groaned as her pace quickened and he fought to slow it down.
“Love… I….” she said her head spinning, her words becoming incoherent. “I….you…” she tried again but the feeling of him pushing against her, his mouth on her breasts as he massaged her clitoris was mind numbing.

Releasing her breast from his mouth John pulled at her hair pulling her head back as he continued to hold her orgasm at bay. He’d waited a week for this and he was not going to allow her reprieve any time soon.

Evangeline sat back up staring down at him before her eyes closed shut and she pushed at his chest, needing to be free but not wanting to be free of him at the same time. John held her close flipping them back over and rose above her raising up her right leg to take her over the edge.

Her leg straight up in the air John slowed down his pace as he admired the beauty of her body beneath him before hooking her leg around his shoulder and leaning into her pressing it against her body in slow movements, “The things you do to me.” He grunted as he felt his orgasm nearing.

“Please John…” She said her head thrashing backwards as she bucked against him.
He lowered her leg and leaned in to kiss her as he quickened his pace, pressing her deep into the bed. She bit on his lip as her walls squeezed around him forcing him to release himself into her, “Let go baby.” He said squeezing tighter as his butt cheeks clenched releasing his seed into her.

John collapsed to her chest exhausted as their long over due love making session depleted their energy. Evangeline touched his back dragging her fingers up and down it as he panted against her ear; the residual feeling of him throbbed between her legs. “I love you.” She said softly.

A smile spread as his arm draped across her waist as he nuzzled her neck, “You’re not going anywhere right?” he asked softly as he felt his eye lids getting heavy with sleep.
“No.” she said sleepily
“Good.” He said pulling her close and falling asleep wrapped in their love for one another.

~

The phone ran incessantly until John reached over grabbing it and answering it. He turned over as Evangeline turned her body away and threw a blanket that sat at the end of the bed over her body. He picked up the alarm clock focusing on it as he answered the phone, “Hello?” he said softly, his voice full of sleep.
“Johnny?” Eve coughed out.
“Mom!” he said shocked.
“Yeah it’s me Johnny.”
“Mom, how are you, are you okay, what’s going on?” he asked anxiously.

“I’m fine Johnny, I’m so sorry.”
“No… no… don’t you apologize, don’t you dare apologize.” He said shaking his head.
“I’m sorry I scared you, your father and Evangeline, that was never my intention. I just…”
“Please mom it’s okay…”He said reaching over to stroke Evangeline’s hair, “How are you feeling?”

Eve coughed and Thomas handed her some water to drink, “My throat is sore and my stomach hurts but other than that.”
“Is dad there?”
“Yes.”
John nodded his head and ran his hand through his hair, “We’ll be there as soon as possible to see you.”
“No Johnny, I understand you have Evangeline back. Stay with her, it’s after visiting hours any way.” She said coughing again. “I need to go, to rest.”

“Oh okay.” He said sadly. “I love you mom.”
“I love you Johnny, give Evangeline my love and thanks. I know what she did for me.”
“I will. We’ll be by later.”
“Yes tomorrow.”
“Tomorrow. Love you.” He said again before hanging up.

John slid back down into the bed and turned to spoon Evangeline, “Who was that?” she questioned pulling his arms around her body.
John kissed her shoulder and tucked her hair behind her ears, “Mom’s awake and she’s doing good. She sends her love and thanks.”

“Really!” she said excited turning around in his embrace.
“Yes.” He replied happily smoothing her hair from her face. John closed his eyes and blew out a sigh of relief.
“She’ll be okay John.” She said stroking his face with her thumb.
“I know that now, I was so scared baby.” He said softly.
“I know you were, I was too. To find her like that.”

“Thank you for saving her life.”
“I could have done more.” She said turning over onto her back. “I tried John, I tried to wake her up. I turned her on her side to keep her from choking, I called the ambulance but it wasn’t enough, I should have done more.

John rolled over hovering above her and kissed her nose, “You did more than I could have ever done. I will forever be thankful to you for saving my mothers life.”
“I know how much you love her.”
“I do.” He said nodding and smiling at her. “Thank you.”

Evangeline rose up and kissed him quickly before falling back on the bed, “What time is it?”
“Close to eight.”
“Wow, we’ve been asleep nearly the whole day.”
“I haven’t been able to sleep for a week.”
“Why?”
“You weren’t lying next to me.” He said caressing her face and kissing her neck and shoulders. “I’m so glad your back.”
“I’m sorry if I gave you the impression I wasn’t coming back.”
“Oh you were gonna come back if I had to drag you here kicking and screaming.” He laughed.

“I know you would! It would have worked, a week alone without you was too long, and I’m sorry.”
“I’m the one that should be apologizing to you. I should have told you what Todd found.” He said shaking his head over and over again, “That’s one mistake I never should have made.” John sat up bending his knees and hugging them.

Evangeline sat up behind him placing her arms around his shoulders and kissing his temples, “Todd thinks this is a set up, do you?”
He turned his head and kissed her nose, “I do.”
“Well before Andrea left she talked me into it as well. I take it Todd’s gone into investigator mode.”
“You know Manning.” He said resting against her chest. Evangeline propped herself against the pillows pulling John into her she massaged his shoulders and neck.

“That feels good?” he said closing his eyes.
“Good, so tell me everything that we need to know to get rid of this so called threat to what we have.”
“Todd’s doing an extensive background check on her, I think he asked dad to help out.”
“Good, good.” She nodded massaging away the tension he held, “Baby you’re so tight.”
“I’ve had lot of tension the past few days.” He said opening and eye and looking over his shoulder at her.

“Understandable, as have I.”
“Todd also found a water bottle that she may have used to drug me.”
“You as well?” She questioned.
“Yeah, he’s having it checked out right now. I need you to know something babe.”
“What’s that?”
“The hospital yesterday I was there with her.”
“Why?” she asked swallowing hard and closing her eyes.

John felt her hands leave his shoulders and turned around. “It’s not what you think, I was there to do the DNA test, I didn’t want her to tamper with it or anything like that.”
Evangeline laughed softly and moved around him pulling the blanket to her chest, “Okay wait a minute, who set up this appointment?”
“She did why?”
“We both agree that she is most likely behind a set up yes?”
“Yes.” He said nodding and staring at her confused.
“Okay, then why would you go to an appointment she set up, and let a public lab do this test, John what were you thinking?” she said agitated by this news.

“I…I…” he stammered, “Shit.” He mumbled rubbing his face. “Shit…shit…shit…” he said over and over again. “You really think she would go to those lengths?”
“You don’t?” she scoffed.
“I don’t know, I guess I just wasn’t thinking.”
“You’re still giving her the benefit of the doubt.”
“No, I’m not. I just wanted the damn test done and over with so that I could get you back.” He snapped.

“Calm down baby.” She said touching his face, “I’m not going anywhere.”
“I know… I know…” He said kissing her hand, “It’s just so hard to sit her and think that, that woman drugged me and tried to split us up. Who ever the hell is really behind this is going to be handled.”
Evangeline leaned forward kissing him and pushing him to the bed, “I know this is hard, but I believe you when you said whether drugged or sober you wouldn’t touch her.” She whispered pushing his hair from his face, “Thank you, I need that, I need you.”
“Well I need you, and we’re going to fight her and this together got it?”
“Got it!” he said with a wink, “Round two?” he said tickling her and rolling them over.
"Why do you even ask McBain?" she said giggling and kissing him.
The Truth by OLTLfantimes10
“You better not be doing what I think you’re doing.” Evangeline said turning over and pulling a pillow over her head.
John sighed as he moved the camera away from his face and straddled her. He snatched the pillow from her head and she grunted and turned back over, “It’s like three in the morning John.” She whined.
“It’s when you look the most beautiful.” He said clicking a few more pictures.
“Why don’t you go into the city and take some pictures of the city life and let me sleep.” She moaned pushing him away.

John laughed and grabbed her hand kissing it softly, “I like to take pictures of you…” he said falling to the side of her with the camera still in his hands. “Can I ask you something?”
“Can it wait till morning? I’m exhausted.” She complained flipping over on her back.
John didn’t say anything and continued to look down at her. Evangeline turned her head and opened one of her eyes, “What?” she asked staring at him as he played with the shutter and buttons of his camera.

Evangeline sat up in the bed pulling the sheets around her body and turned all the way around, “Okay you have my undivided attention.” She said smoothing her hair and smiling at him.
John set the camera aside and smiled at her, “I know this is the most unlikely thing that could happen because I’m deadly sure that I didn’t sleep with that girl, but what if some how that baby is mine?”

Evangeline forced a smile and rubbed her face, “You didn’t sleep with her?”
“No I didn’t.” he said staring at the wall.
“John…” She said turning his head to look at hers. “Look at me and answer that question. Did you have sex with her?”
He reached out to touch her face cupping it with his hand as she did the same. Staring into his eyes they stayed a deep shade of blue, the blue that she saw when he wanted to prove his love to her. Her thumbed moved slowly over his cheek as she scooted forward and smiled at him, “No I didn’t have sex with her.”

Her heart slowed to an even pace and her eyes closed as she blew out a soft sigh. “Now about your question, John I don’t know how it would be possible that, her baby is yours. But if some how it is, I’m not going any where. We’ll make sure that we’re together and stay together.” She said kissing his lips softly.
“Are you sure?” he asked resting his forehead against hers.
“Yes, I’m sure.”

John pulled her close hugging her tightly and kissing the side of her face, “Hungry?” he asked pulling back.
“Starved.”
“Let’s go to Rose’s.” John said grinning at her.
“Oh god, that sounds fantastic.” Evangeline said sliding out of the bed nude and patting her stomach. “Some warm apple pie and ice cream, ahh you spoil me McBain.” She said giggling as she walked into the bathroom.
“Where are you going?” He called after her.
“Shower, hello? I’m not going out all sweaty and sticky.” She said laughing and rolling her eyes. “Wanna join me?” she asked stopping at the door jam.

John looked down at his camera and back at her, “Nah… I wanna finish out this roll of film.”
Evangeline looked at him confused and even pouted, “Oh, okay…” she mumbled staring at him one last time before going into the bathroom turning on the shower.

She reached for a ponytail holder pulling her hair into it and onto the top of her head and inspected her neck for any hickies. Rolling her eyes at finding one behind her left ear and one on the top part of her right breast she would kill the boy. Shaking her head she stepped into the shower and let the warm water cascade down her back and then turned around and let it go over her chest as well.

Closing her eyes and humming the tune to Unchained Melody she swayed against the tunes in her head that escaped her lips as she lathered a washcloth. Lost in her own thoughts she didn’t hear the door open and John step in behind her till she felt her arms around her stomach. “John!” She said shocked, “I thought…”

He silenced her by turning her around and pushing her against the wall of the shower and sliding his tongue into her mouth letting it dance slowly in her mouth. Evangeline dropped the washcloth and soap slipping her arms around his neck pulling him close. She felt her feet leave the ground as he pushed her up against the wall. Her back arched as he parted her knees and slid slowly into her.

Evangeline wrapped her legs around his body using them to push him deeper into her. John grunted into her ear as he pounded away into her, the water splashing on his back as he planted his hands firmly against the wall sliding her up and down the wall. Their eyes closed tight against the feeling of making love in the shower the feeling of weightlessness as he made her head spin, her breathing turning into wheezing at his relentless need to posses her body, mind and soul.

Lowering his head John kissed her breasts sucking gently on her nipples as he gripped her hips with the other hand feeling his climax nearing. Her whimpers of pleasure increased in pace and volume turning into cries of passion as he finally released himself and her as well. Evangeline let her legs fall from around his waist as she slid down the wall both of their knees weak.

John walked backwards up under the shower head letting the water wash over his head, “I thought you were going to finish the roll of film?” John opened his eye and pulled her to his chest, “I much rather make love to you.” He whispered turning around and pushing her up under the shower. “JOHN!” she squealed.

He laughed and kissed her face, “What?”
Evangeline frowned and hit his chest over and over again and he laughed at her, “Turn around let me do this for you.” He said softly pulling her from the shower and reaching down to get the soap and towel she dropped. Evangeline smacked his ass and giggled as he turned around and glared at her, “Don’t you… dare.” He said wiggling his finger in her face.
“Hey all’s fair in love.” She said winking.

~
“Oh, god that was so good…..” Evangeline said rubbing her stomach and falling against the cushion of the booth.
John laughed and shook his head laughing at her, “You’re beautiful.” He said smiling at her.
Evangeline tilted her head to the side and stared at him, “Thank you.”
“I call’em like I see’em.” He said playing with his fork as he stared down at the table.
“I love when you do that.”
“What?” he asked looking up at her.
“You drop your head, in that bashful way and that smirk on your lips it’s incredibly sexy.” She said leaning forward.

John looked up at her and leaned across the table, “Is it?”
“Mmmhhmmm…” She said nodding her head. “Love your bashful shy side.”
“Do yeah now? What else do you love about me?”
“Those lips, your eyes. The way you wake me up in the morning with a kiss. How you can just smile and I melt. That you are loyal to your friends and family. Not to mention you love me!” she said laughing.
John nodded as he rose from his seat and moved to sit next to her. Evangeline turned to face him putting her legs in his lap as she sat against the side of the booth, “That week without you was the worst in my life.” He said caressing her thigh.

Evangeline lowered her head holding back tears as she placed her hand over his linking their fingers together, “You know why I had to have time right?”
John stared at their hands linked together and pushed away the fear that she would leave him. They fit together like a puzzle and he couldn’t fathom not having the other half of this puzzle, the other half of his heart.

John nodded as he squeezed her hand and looked up with a sad expression on his face. “I’m sorry I’ve gotten us to this point.”
“Don’t blame yourself please, if anything I’m to blame as well John.” She said caressing the side of his face threading her fingers through his hair over and over again.
“You how!” he asked shocked.
Evangeline laughed softly and shook her head, “I talked you into painting her. You knew it was a bad idea but I told you to do it, expand your talents by painting another person.”
“I could have said no.”

“Yes but I can be very persuasive when I want to be and you know that.” She said smiling. “I should have been a lawyer.”
“Hey there’s still time.” He said with a wink.
“Nope, the medical profession is my calling, my passion besides you and our family. John it’s both of our fault, this whole thing. I shouldn’t have pushed you to paint her, and you shouldn’t have let her back in that night.”
“She just wanted the paintings and the sketch.”
“You didn’t think anything of it John?”

He kissed her knuckles and put her hand back into her lap and ran his hands through his hair, “No, I didn’t… I’m a man what do you expect!” he said laughing.
“So how about this, we agree that it was both of our faults?” She said extending her hand to his.
“Agreed.” He said smiling at her.

Evangeline laughed with him and shook her head her hair crinkly from air drying falling into her face. John pulled her onto his lap and tilted her head backward as his fingers grazed over her throat and back up again parting her lips, “What do you say we go back home.” He asked softly as his thumb ran over her lips and her tongue played dangerously close to it.
“You want me to pay?” she asked panting softly as his other hand gently massaged the inside of her thigh.
“I’ll give you the credit card to pay while I grab us a cab.” He said inching his hand upwards to cup her breast, “Make it quick.”
Evangeline nodded and scooting across him to get out of the booth, and put her hand out to get the credit card as John came out of the booth as well and headed outside to hail a cab.

~ Next Morning

“You awake?” John asked rolling over to kiss her face and neck.
“Mmmhmmm…” she moaned pushing his head away, “Five more minutes please…” she whined.
“I want to see my mom, wake up baby.”
Evangeline pulled the covers down and rolled over to stare at him, “What time is it?”
“It’s almost eight?”
“John, why didn’t you wake me up sooner?” she said pushing the covers up and sitting up in the bed.
“You looked so peaceful sleeping, can you be ready in a half hour? Jason will be here then.” He said rising from the bed.

Evangeline scratched her head and blinked the sleep from her eyes as she yawned and stretched getting out of the bed. “For you I’ll be ready in fifteen!” she said with a big smile.
“Good, there’s coffee when you’re ready.”
“Kay…” She said disappearing into the bathroom.

Fifteen minutes later Evangeline came out of the bedroom her hair down around her shoulders, she was dressed in a pair of low rise jeans and a Columbia University pink and white tee shirt and flip flops. “Ready babe?” she asked clasping her locket around her neck. John looked up at her and smiled, “Yeap… Coffee?”
“I’ll get it, you stay put.” She said waving at him, “Have you talked to your mom this morning, letting her know that we’re coming?” she asked fixing her coffee with cream and sugar.

“Talked wit dad, he stayed the night there.”
“You know he’s trying right?” she asked sipping her coffee.
John looked over at her and rolled his eyes, “She wouldn’t be there if he learned to contain his urges to sleep with younger women.” He said bitterly.
Evangeline walked over to him sitting on the arm of the couch she rubbed his shoulders and back, “How do you know that’s what he did?”

“Lets just say that I’ve never walked in on him and my mom but I have walked in on him and other women.”
“Oh John, I’m sorry.” She said softly.
“Don’t blame yourself, blame the almighty Thomas McBain.” He said disgusted.
“I know you love your father and he’s made many mistakes over the years but he is human.”
“He was screwing other women in the bed he shared with my mother for years Evangeline, it’s not something that’s easily forgotten!” he snapped pulling free of her.

Evangeline sighed and watched him grab his keys from the counter top, “Lets go.” He said walking to the elevator.
She rose from the arm of the couch and walked to him. Gabbing his hand she placed it around her hips, “We can’t always live our life in the past Johnny.” She said closing the elevator.
“Trust me I don’t want too, but it’s all I see when I look at him.”
“You see more, I know you do. You want to make him proud. I see the way you look at him each time he shows up at the gallery for one of your art shows.” She said walking out to the town car that waited on them.

John rolled his eyes as he slid into the car after her, “How do you know that?”
“I know you like I know the back of my hand McBain. I see the twinkle in your eye when he comes there. Even though you hate him for what he did to your mom he’s still your father, and he loves you and I know you love him.” She said kissing his cheek.

John looked out the window as they zipped across the bridge heading to the hospital. He was quiet the rest of the way and Evangeline let him, pout, mope, think, whatever he was doing. As they pulled up to the hospital John reached and grabbed her hand holding it tightly, “She’s okay…” She said rubbing his hand in hers.
“I know, I know…” he mumbled more to himself than to her.

~
“Mom…” John said pushing open the door to her private room.
Eve turned around with a big smile on her face, sitting in her magenta silk robe her face all made up, it looked like she was just resting not recovering from a near fatal overdose. “Johnny.” She said excited to see her son. “Did you bring Evangeline with you?”
“Yeah, she wanted to stop in the gift shop first.” He said coming into the room and looking around nervously. “Sit, sit…” she said patting the bed.

John sat on the bed and leaned over kissing her forehead and touching the soft auburn locks, “Are you really okay?” he asked softly searching her eyes and face for the truth.
“Yes besides a sore throat and stomach I’m doing good, did you know your dad stayed here all night?” she asked shocked.
“Yeah I know…Mom, why?”
“Why what Johnny?”
‘The pills mom, why all the pills.” He said holding onto her hands tightly.

Eve smiled and pulled free of his grip. Touching his face John closed his eyes as they burned with tears, “It was an accident John, I want you to know that. Your dad and I had a blow up at dinner and I wasn’t thinking, just so caught up in our problems your problems, wanting our family to be whole again, to be like it was before…” Her voice trailed off as she turned her head from looking at her son and stared out the window.

“Before Michael died.”
“Before I killed him, before I found your father in bed with his secretary, before it all went terribly, terribly wrong.”
“Mom.” John said softly trying to get her attention. She turned her head back to his and wiped at her eyes, “Someone I love once told me we can’t live in the past. We have to learn from it and move on. I think we all need to stop doing that, if we don’t it’s going to destroy this family.”

“You’re such a good boy John. I’m so proud of you.” She said patting his face, “You are right though we do need to move on from the past. Some days are just harder than others and yesterday was one of those days. I am truly sorry that I scared you all, that wasn’t my intent.”

“Good, so dad told me that he was going to get you some help is that true?”
“Yeah one of the rehabilitation centers in upstate New York.”
“All the way upstate, no… there has to be something closer to the city. I’m going to call dad, and see what he can do.”
Eve reached out and stopped John from calling his father, “It’s for the best John and you know that. It’s really okay, I’ve been thinking about getting some real help for a while now. All of this just confirms it.”
“What about dad, you’re just going to leave him here?”
Eve blushed and lowered her head, “Your father and I had a long talk last night into this morning, him doing more of the talking.”
“And…” he said rushing her.

“You know we have some property upstate. He’s going to move up there while I’m in the center. Your Uncle Colin should be back from Australia in a few days and he can run stuff here in the city and your dad and I can get past the past.” She said smiling.
“Is that what you really want mom?”
“I want the Thomas that I feel in love with back, and he wants us and our family.” She said grinning.

The door opened slowly and Evangeline stuck her head in, “Is it okay if I come in?” she said looking at the both of them.
Eve nodded waving her in. Evangeline came in caring a small bouquet of flowers she got down stairs and laid them next to Eve on the side table, “You look amazing.” Evangeline said smiling at her.
“I feel good.” She said opening her arms. Evangeline looked at John and he moved aside so that Evangeline could hug Eve. “Thank you so much sweetie.” She said rubbing Evangeline’s back.

“I didn’t do anything special.”
“You’re special just because you’re you, and I will forever be grateful for saving my life.”
“I didn’t…”
“Hush!’ Eve said smiling, “You know you did so lets leave it at that.”
“Okay, okay…” Evangeline said sitting down on the bed. John walked around and sat next to his mom on the other side. Eve looked between them and smiled, “My kids back together, all is right with the world. Your father and I are working on our marriage.”

“You are!” Evangeline asked surprised, “When did this come about?”
“Last night.” John scoffed.
“John Thomas…” Eve said hitting his arm,
“Ouch,” John said rubbing his arm.
“Oh please that didn’t hurt! Yes Thomas and I talked last night, he wants what’s been missing and so do I. I want my family back Evangeline.” She said smiling at her.
Nodding her head grateful that they were going to work on their marriage Evangeline smiled at her and then over at John who forced a smile. She laughed softly and rolled her eyes, “So when are they letting you out of here?”

“The end of the week, keeping me for a few days.”
“Good, good.” Evangeline said rubbing her hand.
“Yeah then I’m going upstate to a rehab facility there and Thomas is coming with me.”
“Really?”
“Yes, so could you and John keep an eye on the brownstone for us please?”
“Sure, is there anything we need to do?”
“No, Claudia knows everything that needs to be done. Her work will be minimal since neither Thomas nor I will be there but I’m keeping her on staff to keep the house safe. I just want you two to watch it for us, handle any problems that may arise.”
“We can do that, can’t we John?”
“Yeah.” He said rolling his eyes.

They sat in silence for a few moments before Eve spoke again, “About this girl” she started.
“We have it covered mom. I did a DNA test yesterday and we should have the results soon.”
“Good, good… did you go to the lab owned my McBain Industries?”
John looked over at Evangeline and lowered his head, “No he didn’t Eve.”
“John!” She snapped, “What on god’s green earth were you thinking?”
Evangeline leaned over and pinched his arm twisting his flesh between her fingers, “Damn it Van!” he said pushing her hand away.
“She should do more than that.” Eve said glaring at her son.
“What!” He said rubbing his arm.
“Don’t you what either of us, we had this conversation.” Evangeline said turning to smile at Eve. “I told him it was stupid to let her pick the place.”
“He’s a man what do we expect?”
“Not much.” Evangeline scoffed.

“Hey now! I am in the room, don’t talk like I’m not. I was there watched the doctor take the sample and then I gave a blood sample as well. She labeled both samples and took them herself to the lab. I don’t think the doctor would switch the samples.”
“Good point John… He does have a point Evangeline.”
“I know, it’s just our lives are at the hands of people that I don’t necessarily trust.” She said looking in between them.
“Things will be fine Van, that isn’t my baby.”
She reached out to hold his hand and he gently squeezed it, “I believe you.” She said smiling.
Eve put her hands over both of theirs and smiled, “We can do this, we all can do this.” She said smiling at them both.

~ Next day

Evangeline walked into John’s studio on the other side of the apartment and climbed up on the stool tucking her hair behind her ears, “What are you doing today?”
He looked over at her and waved the paint brush around, “Since you’ve been back I’ve been able to paint again.”
“What about the pictures you took yesterday?”
“Oh I’m going to the dark room later, want to come with?”
“No, I need to go to campus and get my books and pick up some letters of recommendation.”
“I thought you were done applying to med school?”
“One last school.”
“Where’s this one?”
“St. Louis, Washington University, one of the best in the Midwest.” She said smiling and rocking back and forth on the stool.

“Well I’m sure they’ll be lucky to have you. Is that all you’re doing today?”
“That and I have group later today.”
“I’m glad you’re still going there.”
“Me too, it really helps.” She said rising up and walking to him. Hugging his body from behind Evangeline kissed his bare back and shoulder as she peered over his shoulder to the piece he was working on. “You like it?”

“Don’t know, it’s not done is it?”
“No, I’m not really feeling it either.” He said setting his brush down.
“Well keep working on it.”
“I think I need to develop those pictures I’ve been taking lately, it’s clouding my perception.”

Evangeline tussled his hair and smiled at him, “If you say so babe. I better get going, you mind if I have Jason take me around?”
“He’s yours.” He said kissing her quickly.
“Thank you baby.” She said kissing him back, “You talk with your mom today?”
“Yeah she’s doing good. One more day there and they’ll release her.”
“Great, that’s good news. What do you say we go by there later?”
“Yeah, that would be nice thank you.”
“Hey I see her as my mom as well you know that.”

“Your parent’s back in town?” He questioned changing the subject.
“Yeap, they want us to come down for dinner one day.”
“Your mom and your dad want to see us?”
Evangeline smiled and kissed his forehead, “I don’t know about my dad but yes my mom wants to see the both of us.”
“Good.”
“I’m going to head out, later.”
“Later.” He said kissing her and giving her butt a gently squeeze. Evangeline smiled and turned to walk away, “Take your cell with you!” He called after her.
She waved as she strolled down the hallway to the grab her purse and cell phone.

~
“Shit…” John mumbled as he stood in the dark room and let a picture set to long in the developer. Pulling it out he crumbled up the paper and threw it away to start again. This even though it can be stressful was relaxing at times. Rolling his neck he wished that Evangeline was there to give him a quick massage.

As he watched the picture of some buildings in the city start to develop he heard his cell ringing. “McBain.” He said pulling answering his phone as he pulled the picture out of the developer and placing it in the stop bath.
“John?”
“Yeah, who’s this?” he questioned not paying attention to the caller.
“It’s Brooke.” She said softly.

John rolled his eyes and stopped working on developing the picture, “What is it Brooke?”
“The test results are in, the doctor just called.”
“Finally.” He said blowing out a sigh, “I’ll be right there.”
“Good, great. Thanks I’ll see you soon.”
He snapped his phone shut and wrapped up his work. Cleaning up he turned on the lights and headed out to catch a cab, “Hey babe where are you?”
“The hospital still.”
“Good, good. The test results are back.”

Evangeline stopped in her tracks at his words. She ran her hands through her hair and then placed it on her stomach, “Okay, ummm… well call me when you find out.”
“You’re coming with me.”
“What?”
“We’re in this together are we not?” He asked sitting in the back seat of a taxi.
“Yeah, but John I’m not so sure Brooke will want me there.”
“I don’t care what she wants. You’re going to be there.”
“Okay, okay… I’ll see you soon.”
“Thank you, love you.”
“Love you.” She said snapping the phone shut.

Evangeline sighed and sat down in the hallway of the community center. Putting her hands through her hair and lowering her head she said a silent prayer that everything would come out in their favor, that the truth would be revealed in due time.

~
John rubbed his hands together as he paced back and forth waiting for Evangeline and Brooke. He rubbed his face nervously and looked up when someone called his name. Rolling his eyes when he saw it was Brooke he forced a smile, “Hi.”
“Thanks for being here John, I’m a little scared.”
“I just want the truth about this whole thing out, done and over with.” He said glaring at her.
“Why do you have to be so mean to me?” she asked softly lowering her eyes.
“How about the fact that you drugged me and now are trying to pass that kid off as mine.”
“I don’t want anything from you John.”
“Don’t lie Brooke, I know your motives behind this.”

Putting her hand on her hip she tilted her head to the side and glared at him, “What is that?”
“Money, this is all about money.”
She laughed and rolled her eyes, “Ummm no!”
“Yeah, I can see it written all over you. It’s all about money for you, you’re not going to get a penny from me.”
“And when the test shows that this is your baby, are you saying you’re not going to help me raise him or her?”
“It’s not my kid!” he snapped taking a step into her.

“Babe…” Evangeline said softly touching his back.
The tension and anger in his face subsided and he relaxed feeling her hand gently rub his back. “Hi.” He said softly turning to smile at her.

Evangeline rose up and kissed him on the lips keeping her eyes trained on Brooke. Brooke stood in shock watching them interact. Her heart sank and her breathing turned to quick short breaths, “What is she doing here?” She said annoyed.
“Brooke you know my girlfriend, Evangeline right?” he said re introducing them.

Evangeline extended her hand and Brooke stared at her, “What are you doing here?”
“Oh, John didn’t tell you I was coming?” she asked gently caressing his chest and smiling at her.
“No!” she said rolling her neck.
“Now, John why didn’t you tell Brooke I was going to be here, you silly boy!” she said hitting his chest playfully.
“Sorry babe.” He said kissing her cheek over and over again.
“Well, is the doctor ready for us?”
“Us?” Brooke said staring at them.
“Yeah, us. What you think I would let my man alone when he finds out that some tramp claiming to carry his child is lying to his face and trying to break up my committed relationship?”

“You’re still together?” She asked pointing between them.
“Does that surprise you Brooke?”
“Ummm…”
“I take that as a yes.” Evangeline said smiling at her. “Well I’m here and I would like to be there to hear the results, John says it’s okay right?”
“Oh yes, definitely.” John said pulling her close.

“Brooke Davison!” the nurse called out.
“Here.” She said turning around and smiling at the nurse.
“Please come with me. The doctor will be right in.”

John put his hand on Evangeline’s back as they followed Brooke and the nurse into the doctor’s office. Sitting in the chairs provided Evangeline sat in the middle with Brook to her right and more in front of the doctor’s desk and John to her left. Holding his hand tightly they waited impatiently for the doctor to come in.

All three of them were taping their feet up and down and looking at their watches. The doctor pushed the door open, “I’m sorry I got held up.” She said looking up from the charts in her hands.
“Is my baby okay?” Brooke asked quickly.

The doctor sat down at her desk and removed her glasses as she folded her hands over the stacks of papers atop her desk, “Your baby is fine Ms. Davison.” She said smiling at her.
Brooke blew out a soft sigh of relieve and looked over at John for hope. He nodded his head and held tightly on to Evangeline’s hand. “Now about the DNA testing we did with Mr. McBain.”
“Yes, what were the results?” John questioned.
“These tests are ninety-nine percent accurate. It shows that Mr. McBain is the baby’s father.”

Evangeline pulled her hand free of John’s and put it to her chest. Standing up she turned and walked out of the office without another word. John jumped up glaring at Brooke and followed her out of the room. Walking back and forth through the hallway Evangeline shook her hands as the words replayed over and over again in her ears.

John came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her body, “It’s not true, I don’t know how she did it but it’s not true.”
Evangeline swallowed feeling his arms wrap tight around her body; her stomach in knots her mind spinning and pounding all at the same time.

The door opened and John looked over his shoulder at Brooke and disgusting smile on her face. Evangeline turned and looked as well pushing John’s arms away from her body. John watched as Evangeline walked up to Brooke getting inches from her face,

“I don’t know how you pulled this shit off but I know you did it and I know you’re not working alone. You will not ruin what John and I have and if I have to I will get a court order to get another DNA test done at an independent lab with all of us in the room so you can’t fuck with it.” She hissed.

“Let’s see you try it. Your so called boyfriend made love to ME and we created this baby.”
“He’d let a train hit his ass before he would ever touch you. He knows what it’s like to make love to a real woman, not fuck a slut. It’s not in him, he’s a gentleman something that obviously didn’t screw your nasty brains out and got your ass knocked up. I’m not letting you come into our lives and ruin it. You drugged him and pretended that you slept together. I don’t believe anything that comes out of your mouth and I never will.” She seethed.

Walking away she extended her hand to John and forced a soft smile on her lips. He smiled back slipping his hand into hers and staring into her eyes. They glistened with tears but she was going to fight with him, and for him. They walked out of the hospital and into the parking garage where Jason waited on them. “I want another test done.” She said sliding into the car after him.
“I’ll get the lawyers on it.”
“Good.” She stated crossing her legs as Jason pulled out of the garage.
“So you don’t believe it?”

“I was looking at her face when the doctor said the results John, she was just as nervous as you or I. She claims that she knew the baby was hers, but her face told a different story. She’s hiding something and we’re going to get to the bottom of it.”
“Thank you for believing in me.”
Evangeline shook her head and turned to touch his face, “This isn’t a you or me thing anymore, it’s an us thing. And until she’s out of our lives it will continue to be an us thing.” She said kissing his lips and smiling at him.

Sitting back in the plush seats of the town car they sat quietly in their own thoughts as Jason drove them back to the apartment.

Dropping them off on the side street John told Jason they were done for the night and he could take the rest of the day off. Jason nodded at them both and John walked up to the door where Evangeline was resting against the wall. He came up resting his head against hers gently stroking her hip and stomach, “She’s lying.” He said softly.

“I know.” She said fingering his hair and leaning against the wall.
“I heard what you said to her.”
“It’s the damn truth John, she’s not going to come between us I know that baby isn’t yours I just don’t know how to prove it.”

“I do.” Todd said walking up to them.
John and Evangeline turned to see Todd holding a manila envelope waving it back and forth with a smile on his face. “Care to see what I have in my little bag?” he asked chuckling.
“Is that what I think it is?” John asked leaving Evangeline’s side and walking up to Todd.
“Super Todd to the rescue.” He said with a wink.

John looked back at Evangeline with a smile on his face. She stared at the two of them with a confused expression on hers and walked up slowly to them, “What’s going on you two?”
John turned to her kissing her hard on the lips, “Proof.” He said his eyes sparkling.
Shocked by the kiss Evangeline stumbled backwards and then grabbed John’s hand to steady herself, “Proof of what?” She asked looking between them.
~

“Hey baby.”
“Brooke, what on earth are you doing in here!” he snapped grabbing her by the arm and pushing her down the hallway into an empty room.
“I was in the area.” She said sweetly and leaning forward to kiss his lips.
“The area, does that mean?”
“Yeap it worked. I was so nervous sitting there with them.”
“Them?” he questioned shaking his head back and forth, “Who’s them?”
“She was there.”
“Evangeline!” He said shocked.

“Yes. I thought you said she would leave him when she found out I was pregnant.”
He ran his hand through his curly hair letting out a frustrated sigh, “She was supposed too damn it. What does this boy have on her?”
“Hell if I know Finn, but she’s scary. She threatened to get a court order and have another test done.”
Finn stared at her confused, “No… it won’t work they have no probable cause to get one, no it wont happen.”
“She’s dead set on it hun.” She said rubbing his arm up and down
“Screw her, screw all three of them!” he snapped throwing his hands in the air. “They’re gonna pay if it’s the last thing I do.”
“What about the baby?” She whined touching her stomach.
“We’ll get the money to raise our baby, don’t you worry.” He said kissing her lips, “Don’t you worry….”
Conviction by OLTLfantimes10
John threw his keys across the counter as Evangeline and Todd followed him into the apartment, “What does he have babe?” Evangeline asked touching John’s back.

“I’ll tell you what I have Van, it’s proof that Miss Brooke drugged our boy.”
Evangeline looked between Todd and John stunned, “How? Where? When did all this happen!” she said quickly.
Todd smiled and waved the two of them over to the couch, “John and I retraced his steps the night of my birthday party to try and figure out what happened that night.”
“Okay?” Evangeline said narrowing her eyes and sitting on the arm of the couch wrapping her arm around John’s shoulders.

Todd smiled as he sat on the coffee table across from them and pulled the results from the test out, “You’ve had some classes in pharmaceuticals right?” He questioned pushing his bangs out of his face and looking up at Evangeline.
“Yeah.”
“And you know how to read these types of reports.”
“Kinda, it’s part of my job at the clinic, what is that?” She leaned forward to take the medical report out of Todd’s hands and let her eyes roam over it, trying to read it.
“You know what it says baby?” John asked rubbing her leg and looking up at her.

“Shhh…” she said waving him off, “Are they sure?”
Todd nodded his head, “Definitely.” He said smiling at them.
Evangeline shoved the report into John’s chest and walked away into the bedroom.
“Where is she going?” John asked taking the report and trying to read and understand it.
Todd shrugged his shoulders and moved to sit next to John, “They found this in the water you had John.” He said pointing to the top of the page.

“Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate?” He asked looking up as he heard Evangeline’s foot steps coming back down the hallway.
“Also known as GHB.” Evangeline said holding one of her pharmacology books.
“Seriously?” They both asked.
“Yeah, street names, Easy Lay, Liquid X, Liquid Dream, or Chemical X.” she said turning her book around and holding it out to them.

“What is it exactly?” Todd questioned.
Evangeline turned the book around as she took her seat back next to John, “It’s a colorless, odorless liquid that acts as a depressant.” She said looking at them both.
“That explains why you didn’t see it or taste it John.” Todd said nodding. “Now what do we do?”
Evangeline slammed the book shut, “We find out how she got it and why she wanted to use it on John.”
“How do you plan on doing that?” John asked looking at her with a frown on his face.

Evangeline threw the book on the table and rose up from the couch. She paced back and forth as she gnawed on her finger nails, “We can call the police and let them know what we found. I’m sure that what she did is some kind of felony, possession, assault, they can get her on the same things they got Shane.” She said running her fingers through her hair.

“I’ll call my dad.” John hopped up from the couch and walked to get the phone.
“You really think going to the police is the best way?” Todd asked looking at her.
Evangeline stopped pacing and looked at him with a weary smile, “I honestly don’t know. I know nothing about this girl or where the hell she came from. All I do know is that she’s for some reason dead set on destroying what John and I have.”
“What you and I have as well.”

Evangeline looked up at Todd who had a puppy dog look on his face. She walked over to him and sat next to him taking his hands into hers, “Thank you for what you did Todd.”
“You’re thanking me?”
“You were protecting me, the both of you were. I was in a very fragile state back then and I understand why you didn’t say anything.”
He pulled his right hand free and cupped her face gently moving his thumb back and forth over her cheek, “I’ve missed you Van.”

She smiled and pulled his hand from her face and hugging him tightly, “Missed you too Manning.” She whispered in his ear and kissed his cheek.
He stroked her hair holding her close and smiled, she was back. “So we’re good?” He asked softly.
She nodded and winked, “We’re good.” She said smiling at him.
Looking over at John she tapped her fingers on the back of the couch and then turned to smile at Todd, “What do you think he’s saying?”
“No clue?” He said shaking his head.

John closed his phone and walked over to Todd and Evangeline, “What did your dad say?”
“He said he’ll be here in an hour.”
“For what?” Evangeline questioned.
“He wants to see our evidence and hear what Todd has to say and then he’s going to take this to a judge.”
“A judge what!” Todd snapped, “Why?”
“To get a court order to search her place and get another DNA test done, it’s the only way.” John said staring between them.

~

The black on black extended town car stopped in front of the apartment and Thomas McBain stepped out still on his cell phone, his palm pilot in his other hand. Those things were permanent fixtures on his body, “Samuel, listen I’ll be there in a few with my son and his friends, you sure you have time for this? I don’t want you to be late to your poker game man.”

“Anything for Thomas McBain this is going to have to be some compelling evidence that they have McBain, I’m not out to giving court orders for nothing.”
“If they say they have what they say they have, then I’ll have your John Hancock on that order before you could even sneeze.” He said laughing softly.
“Let’s hope so, I’d do anything to help out an old friend. See you in a bit, let my clerk know when you’re here okay?”
“Sure think Samuel, thanks again.”
“No thanks needed.” He said hanging up the phone.

Thomas ran hands through his hair as he crossed into the apartment and blew out a sigh of relieve, “What do you have Manning.” He said in a demanding tone waving his hand in the air for the medical report.

Todd rushed over handing it to him and took a step back. Thomas looked over the report flipping the pages back and forth and then looked up at the three of them, “Evangeline, interpret this for me.” He said passing her the test results.

Evangeline grinned at him as she took the results, “It says that the container brought in for testing had minute traces of Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate in it. The amount left is consistent with at least 5 to 10 milliliters of the drug.”
“What does that mean?”
“It’s enough GHB to knock out a two hundred and fifty pound man.” She said looking at him.

“Get your purse and your keys lets go.” He snapped waving at all three of them. They all looked at each other stunned, “Let’s go I don’t have all day for this. This girl is fucking with the wrong family!” He snapped waving at them.

~
“Samuel, good to see you!” Thomas said giving Judge Samuel McCoy a brotherly hug. “How have you been?”
“Good, good Thomas. It’s good to see you as well.” Samuel said ushering in the small group into his chambers.

Samuel McCoy stood roughly six foot five inches tall and towered over everyone he knew. His dark brown hair with streaks of gray gave him a distinguished appearances that many women young and old still found attractive. His green eyes pierced into you, and he could read you like a book. Dressed in a dark gray suit, his tie loosened and his jacket laying across the back of his chair his office was regal almost intimidating in appearance. He sat on the Applet Court for New York City and was known to cut you off mid sentence and bring you down a few notches if he thought the attorney’s case was weak, pathetic and a waste of time. District Attorney’s and Defense Attorney’s would call him the real life Judge Hatchet for the way he would stick it to you. He was not afraid to show it, but in reality he was a softy just like Thomas.

Evangeline took her seat next to John letting her eyes scan the office and her breath caught at the elegance of it. “So, who do we have here?” Samuel asked looking over at the three young people sitting in his office.

“You know my son John, his girlfriend Evangeline Williamson and their friend Todd Manning.”
“Victor’s son?”
“Sir, yes… He’s my father.” Todd said nodding.
“Ahh, a wonderful man. You have a great father there son.” Samuel said nodding his head and leaning back in his seat tenting his fingers. “So what can I do for you young people here?”
“The District Attorney?” Thomas asked.
“He’ll be here in a few moments. I had him draw up the court order.” Samuel said nodding at Thomas.
“Good, good… Evangeline do you mind telling Samuel the same things that you told me?”
“Me!” she asked shocked touching her chest.

“Yes you young lady.” Samuel said eyeing her up and down. “You appear to have a handle on all of this, so why don’t you fill me in. Convince me why I should give you three this court order.”
“Isn’t that a lawyer’s job, or at least a police officer’s job?” Evangeline asked nervously.
“Yes, normally it is, this I take it is a different circumstance, I put this in your hands Ms. Williamson.” He said smiling at her.

Evangeline pulled her hand free of John’s and cleared her throat as she straightened up in her chair. Taking a deep breath she ran her hands through her hair and steadied her heart beat, “Three months ago I was drugged and almost raped by Shane Cassidy.”
“He’s currently in custody Samuel.” Thomas interjected.

Samuel nodded for Evangeline to continue, “Well recently I found out that at the same time I was being drugged and assaulted so was John.” She said reaching for his hands.
“Mr. McBain, what can you tell me about what happened to you?” Samuel asked turning to look at John.

John nodded and wiped his hands along his pants, “It’s hard for me to remember much of what happened and I didn’t know this until know but the reason behind that was because I was drugged.”
“Who drugged you?”
“I believe it was a woman by the named of Brooke Davison.”
“How do you know Ms. Davison?”
“I met her in a small market near my house abut four or five months ago.”
“And?”
“And she helped me pick out some olives for a dinner I was making for Evangeline and Todd. Later she showed up at my last art show and asked me to paint her.”
“Why didn’t you say no?”

John turned to look at Evangeline and then back over at Samuel, “I was talked into it.” He said softly.
“Excuse me?”
“I talked him into it, your honor.” Evangeline piped up, “We both realize our mistake now, and that this is both of our faults but I talked him into it.”
“I’m confused, how did we get from painting to being drugged and now needing a court order for a DNA test?” he asked looking between all of them.

“She showed up at our apartment the night of Todd’s birthday to apologize.”
“For what?” Samuel said frowning, “Why would she need to apologize.”
“I walked in on them.”
“Doing what?”
“She wanted me to paint her semi-nude.” John said staring him straight in the eye.
“Ahhh, now we’re getting some where. And I take it from your lack of eye contact Ms. Williamson you witnessed this?”
“Yes you honor.”
“Okay, please continue.”
“She came by to apologize and she did so.”
“So why not kick her out, I assume your girlfriend freaked out when she walked in on you two and then to have her in your apartment yet again?”
“Yes, I realize it was a mistake. After she apologized I gave her the paintings and a sketch I had done.”
“A sketch.”
“It’s how he works.” Evangeline offered.

“Okay, let’s move on. So what happened after you gave her back the paintings.”
“She left, I basically pushed her out of the apartment.”
“How’d she get back in.?” Samuel wondered.
All three of them looked at each other unable to answer the question, “We don’t know.” John offered.

“Okay, Mr. Manning how are you involved in all of this?”
“I found Evangeline in the room and got the guy off of her that was trying to rape her. Took her to the hospital and when John didn’t show up or answer his cell phone or the house phone I went over to their apartment.”
“How did you get in?” Samuel asked moving forward and staring at Todd.
“I have a spare key. I walked in and heard the music blaring and checked his art studio first to see if he was in there. When John paints he lets the music blare through the whole apartment. When I didn’t find him there I went to the bedroom and found him in bed with the woman.”
“This Brooke?”
“Yes.”

Samuel held up his hand for all of them not to talk. Turning to his phone he called his secretary to see if the District Attorney was there yet. The door opened and District Attorney Garner walked into the Judge’s office, “Thank you for coming.” Thomas said rising and extending his hand.
“My pleasure Mr. McBain, I had my office fill me in on what’s going on here.”
“Good,” Samuel said nodding at him, “Do you have the court order?”

Jack Garner the District Attorney for the City of New York pulled out the court order for the DNA test as well as a search warrant for Brooke’s home. “You’re asking a lot of me here Thomas, I’ve kept this Shane fellow in jail for you.”

Evangeline rose from her seat and smiled at Samuel, “With all due respect your honor.” Evangeline started.
Samuel looked up at her shocked, “Yes dear?”

Evangeline tucked her hair behind her ears, “What Shane Cassidy did to me disgusts me, but I had the love of a good family and friend to help me get through the trauma his actions inflicted upon me. I do have memories of the event and I still have nightmares regarding it. Whatever help you gave to this family in helping keep him behind parts is more appreciated than you know. Now we’re asking for that help again. This woman is claiming that John slept and fathered her child. There’s a huge problem with that.”

“What’s that?” Samuel questioned smirking at her.

“The amount drugs that were in the water bottle would have knocked out a man twice John’s size. There is no way he would have been able to perform the actions necessary to create a child.”
“Is there any proof that the drug was even in his system.”
“No, unfortunately the drug disappears roughly 48 hours after ingestion. John wasn’t sure of what happened, and with Todd’s help they recently figured out that yes indeed he was drugged which explains for his memory lapse.”
Samuel nodded his head listening to her intently.

“Brooke Davison contends that not only did they sleep together but he is the father of her child. With what the latest test results we have proof it isn’t possible. How she produced a DNA test that showed that he is indeed the father warrants further investigation.”
“Sit, please…” He said waving her to sit back down in her sat.
“I wasn’t…”

Samuel held up his hand to stop her from speaking and reached over to grab a pen and sign his John Hancock on both forms, “My dear you are an eloquent speaker, tell me you would be gracing my courtroom soon.”
“Me?”
“Yes, you…” he said smiling at her.
“Oh no…” She said mildly shocked looking back and forth between John and Thomas who had a smirk on his face as well. “I’m going to be a doctor.”
“You should reconsider.”
“Medicine is my passion.” Evangeline stated touching her heart.

“Law could be, you have a gift of the mouth that many lawyers that have faced me lack. I would give nothing more than to have some of these jokers that call themselves lawyers speak to me with such conviction and eloquence as you have.”
“What John and I have means the world to me, and what she’s trying to do makes me even more determined to protect it.”
“Well you have your court order to do another DNA test, if there is anything else you need anything at all please call me. You’ve made me a fan Ms. Williamson.”

Evangeline smiled and rose from her seat to shake Samuel’s hand, “I mean it. When you consider law school please let me know, I would love to give you a recommendation.”
“Thank you, but it’s Med School for me.” She said smiling brightly.

Samuel nodded as he shook her hand and then took it back. John and Todd rose and both shook Samuel’s hand. “Call me and let me know what happens with all of this Garner.” Samuel said calling after him.

Jack stopped outside of Samuel’s office with Thomas, Todd, Evangeline and John. “I’ll have the police execute the warrant as soon as I get it in their hands.”
“Thank you for putting a rush on this Jack.” Thomas said patting his back.
“Yes thank you District Attorney Garner, I really appreciate this.” John said shaking his hand.
“Anything for the McBain Family, is there anything else I could help you guys with?”
“I got a parking ticket last week in Brooklyn, could you help me with that?” Todd asked.
“Todd!” Evangeline snapped hitting him in the chest.
“What, he is the damn DA.” He said staring at her.
“He doesn’t fix parking tickets. Pay the damn fee it isn’t like it’s going to put a dent in that trust fund you have.”
“True…” Todd said rolling his eyes, “Can we go now?”

Thomas looked at Todd and rolled his eyes, “Quiet Manning.” He hissed.
Todd walked away sticking his hands in his pockets. “What do you expect to charge her with?”
“Possession of a controlled substance, assault I assume. I’m telling you right now a judge is not going to keep her in jail.”
“What! Why not!” Evangeline snapped, “She drugged John.”
“She’s pregnant, Ms. Williamson. She’s going to need extra consideration, and her lawyer is going to fight for that. I don’t expect anything less than that.” He said with a straight face. “I’m sorry.”
“So am I. This is ridiculous.” She said rolling her eyes.

Walking away to go sit next to Todd, Evangeline crossed her legs and rubbed her head freeing it from a headache.

John looked over at her and winked turning back around to face his dad and DA Garner John lowered his voice and moved in close to his father and DA Garner, “Can you honestly tell me what’s going to happen to her?”
“What are you talking about son?” Thomas asked.
“Dad, she is indeed pregnant with someone’s child. What she did was wrong but not as severe as Shane’s actions.”
“She drugged you son!” Thomas snapped.

John ran a hand over his face and blew out a sigh, “She’s also pregnant. Someone set her up to this, and when Evangeline didn’t show up at the apartment to find us in bed together she got herself pregnant and is trying to pass it off as mine.” He said frustrated.
“What you’re saying is conjecture, speculation until we get her in an interrogation room we can’t prove any of it!” Garner hissed.

“Fine, we have P.I.’s on staff for things like this, I’ll get them on it.”
“I don’t want your Private dicks in the way of my investigation, I can have the police officers do the same thing.”
“My guys can find out more and quicker and they don’t have to follow the laws your officers do. Let me handle this aspect of the case you make sure that warrant is executed properly.” Thomas hissed before turning and walking away.

“Evangeline and Todd let’s go!” Thomas snapped walking out of the Judge’s chamber.
They both looked over at John who lowered his head and shook it. Evangeline walked to him taking his hand into hers and intertwining their fingers, “Everything will be fine okay.” She said softly kissing his cheek.
“I want to believe that.”
“You have to believe that.” She said pulling his arm around her waist and hugging him from the side, “You have to believe that.”

“Can you drop me off at the newspaper?” Todd asked as they sat in the back of the extended town car.
Thomas looked over at Todd and rolled his eyes, “Sure…”
“Thanks sir.” Todd said saluting him.
Evangeline smiled and winked at Todd as she cuddling close to John. He stroked her arm and shoulder as they sat next to each other quietly processing all that just happened. “Dad, Todd could be of some help with all of this?” John said looking over at his father.

“Manning, that Todd Manning. You want him to help?”
“He was the one that figured out the water bottle thing as well got the tests done.” John said staring at his father with mild annoyance.
“Fine, Manning come by the office tomorrow afternoon. I have an appointment with the head of security to discuss finding out about Ms. Davison and what she’s been up to lately.”
“Sir?” Todd asked surprised.
“You heard me Manning, my office in downtown at two got it?”
“Yes sir.” Todd nodded.
“Thank you dad.”

Thomas reached over and patted John on the leg, “Anything for you two, if you want Manning in on this fine, but if he screws it up consider yourself out of their Manning.”
“Yes sir.” He said smiling and winking at Evangeline.

~

The car pulled up outside their apartment after they had dropped of Todd at the news paper. He was meeting with the board of directors of the school to reconsider his appointment as the Editor. He had hoped that they would let him keep the appointment and get started on the paper as soon as possible, the first edition was set to be released in a week.

Evangeline leaned over and kissed Thomas on the cheek, “Give Eve my best.”
“Of course, she should be home tomorrow morning, I would like for you both to come over for dinner.”
“Sure, just call and let me know what time.” John said.
“Thank you John.”
“Thank you dad, what you’ve done has meant a lot.”
“Welcome Johnny.” Thomas said nodding.

Evangeline took note of the way he lowered his head at the comment and understood where John got it from. She smiled and slid out of the car with John following her. They rode up quietly and Evangeline set her keys on the counter top and watched John go sit on the couch letting his head fall back on the back of the couch.

He sighed blowing out a deep breath and rolled his neck, “You want anything, hungry?”
“No.” he mumbled.
Evangeline frowned as she walked over to him and rubbed his shoulders and necks from behind him, “That feels good…” he moaned softly.

Her hands moved slowly down the front of his chest caressing and massaging it as she kissed the inside of his neck and ear. “You were amazing in there today.” John said looking up at her.
Evangeline walked around him straddling his lap and tilting her head to the side, “You think?” she asked slowly pulling at his shirt and pulling it over his head throwing it behind the couch.

“I do, I know when I see an amazing woman at work.” He mumbled staring at her as she slowly pulled off her own shirt throwing it behind her.
“What are you doing?”
“I need to feel loved John.”
He stared at her confused and she cupped his face kissing him hard pushing her tongue deep into his mouth and grinding hard against his lap. John grabbed her butt squeezing it tightly as she danced her tongue in his mouth and her pelvis against his.

“What’s wrong?” he asked breaking the kiss for much needed air.
“Nothing…” she said shaking her head and pulling the straps from her bra down. She grabbed his hands from her hips placing them on both of her breasts and let him caress them squeezing them with his hands. Her head fell back and her mouth fell open as she whimpered under his touch.

John leaned forward kissing her throat letting his tongue run up and down it slowly as he moved his hands and slowly unbuckled her pants sliding his hands and her pants down around her hips. John let his mouth fall to her breasts sucking and kissing them as she continued to dance over his lap.

“I love you John.” She said panting with her eyes closed tight.
“I love you...” He said staring up at her.
Evangeline looked down at him and ran her hands through his hair, “Show me, I need you to show me that I’m the only one, can you please…” she said softly tears in her eyes.

John swallowed as he looked up at her, seeing the desperation for him to prove that she’s the only one for him in her eyes. He nodded his head and picked up her hips and placing her on the couch. Rising he pushed his hair back from his eyes before pulling at her pants helping her wiggle out of them. She pushed her panties down watching him and John undressed as he stared down at her body.

He cupped her breasts as he laid between her legs and trailed kisses down her stomach and over her thighs and back up again, “You are the only woman that’s ever made me feel loved.” He said in a hushed tone. “You’re the only woman I love Evangeline.” He said softly staring down at her.

Evangeline put her hand to his face cupping it and he positioned himself between her legs, “My friend, my lover, my wife and the future mother of my children is what I see in you.” He said softly.

Her eyes filled with tears and she turned her head from his eyes. John turned her head back to his and kissed her lips softly as he pushed into her. Evangeline moaned through the kiss feeling him fill her, make his home in her body. He continued to kiss her lips feeling her tongue pull at his as he slowly pumped into her.

Grabbing her leg John raised it up slightly to go deeper as he broke the kiss but kept his forehead pressed against hers. She met his hips in pace as he pushed slowly in and out of her, their chest rising in falling in the same rhythmic fashion. Grabbing her hand he held tightly onto it as her eyes opened and she watched his face communicate all the love he had for her.

His eyes focused in on hers as they communicated silently, the depth, the pressure, the quickness that only they knew they needed to express the desire they had for one another. Her other hand ran up and down his back as her head fell backwards her body arching and he kissed her neck over and over again.

Her whimpers turned into cries of passion and pleasure as he continued his relentless demands on her body. John put his face next to hers, his tongue running up and down her ear sending an electric current through her body. Her body shook as his hand grabbed her butt pulling her from the couch and he turned his thrusts into small circles.

Evangeline gasped as she felt her orgasm near and John’s butt cheeks clenched as his orgasm neared. “Love you…” She said softly holding him close.
“Love you.” He replied releasing into her as her walls shivered around his manhood releasing their climax together.

John fell softly onto her chest and rolled off of her resting half on her body half off her and kissed her collar bone. “Are you okay?” he asked softly stroking her face and hair.
Evangeline turned her head from his and fought back the tears softly sniffling as she played with the fuzz on the blanket. “Fine.” She mumbled.

“It’s me and you.” He said rubbing her stomach.
“I know.”
“Do you?”
Evangeline turned back around and smiled faintly at him, “I do, it’s you and me and there isn’t anyone that can come between us.” She said kissing his lips.
“You believe that right?”
“I do, I know that there isn’t anything that could make me leave you. We’ve been through hell and back and we’ve survived it.” She said tussling his hair.

John closed his eyes against her touch holding her close he kissed her over and over again, afraid to let her go. “You think your dad can find something out?”
“I think Todd can find something out before my dad and his goons could.” He said whispered.

Evangeline fingered his hair as he lay against her breasts holding her and gently rubbing her stomach. “How many?”
“How many what?” John asked.
“Kids do you want, how many?” She asked quietly.
“As many as you, at least one of each but as long as they are healthy I’m happy.”
“What do you think they will look like?” Evangeline asked staring up at the ceiling.

John opened one eye to look at her and then closed it, “As long as they have your lips.” He said touching them and then putting his hand back on her stomach, “Your smile, sense of humor, eyes, nose, chin, legs if it’s a girl.”
Evangeline laughed and hit his back, “McBain, I happen to love your eyes and would love for our kids to have them.”
“What these old things?”
“Yeah, those sexy things.” She said giggling, “Those eyes of yours are what drew me in.”
“Really now?”

Evangeline rolled over on her side so that they were nose to nose, “Oh yeah, they make me melt.” She said grinning at him, “And when you lower them because I’ve given you a compliment or something, it…” she leaned in to his ear, “Gets me so hot.” She said running her tongue along his lobe.

John laughed as she pulled back and winked at him, “You’re not serious are you.”
“Do it.”
“What?”
“That bashful look, do it and I’ll prove it to you.”
“How?”
“First just lower your eyes like I’ve given you a compliment.”

John looked at her confused and then lowered his eyes and pursed his lips, “Kay, now give me your hand.”
She took his hand sliding it in between her thighs and moaned as his fingers brushed against hers center, “Oh god…” She moaned as his hands moved slowly up and down between her thighs rubbing against her center.

Evangeline gripped John’s shoulder pushing her body against his hand as slid his fingers into her. Her mouth fell open as she gave into his demands, the way his fingers worked her body into a tizzy. “Don’t stop…” She moaned against his ear.
“Never.” He said softly massaging her and pushing her to the limit.

John brought her body to a climatic finish overwhelmed by how a simply act could turn her into jelly. “See.” She mumbled against his chest.
John pulled her onto his chest so he was lying on the couch and she was on top.
“Mmm…. Now I know how to turn you on.” He whispered stroking her back as she rested against him.
“Oh all it takes is a look from you McBain.” She said resting her head on his chest her hands propped up under her head. “All it takes is a look.”

He ran his hands through her hair and stared into her eyes, “When this is all over and done with I’m taking you away.”
“Where?”
“The cottage.”
She closed her eyes shaking her head with a soft smile on her lips, “I would love that, during mid semester break?”
“Yes. Are you going to be okay with dealing with school and this?”

Evangeline opened her eyes and peered down at him as he continued to play with her hair, “I’ll be fine as long as I have you.”
“You’re stuck with me beautiful.”
“Good, I wouldn’t have it any other way.”
John kissed her nose and smiled, “Neither would I, neither would I. I was also thinking about what Judge McCoy said.”
“About the lawyer thing?”
“Yeah I told you, you were great but that’s an understatement.” He said chuckling.

Evangeline pushed from his chest and sat on the other side of the couch pulling the blanket around her body, “I like medicine.”
“Who’s to say you can’t do both.”
“You want children and so do I. I want to be able to be home with them when they are sick or just want to stay home from school.”
“You can do that.”
“No, I really can’t. First med school then law school. John, no…” She said shaking her head.

“Why not?”
“It’s too much, I want kids as soon as I get into my residency. We’ve waited for four years and we’ll probably have to wait another six or seven.”
“Ummm no… We can get a nanny babe, so you can go to class and have our babies.”
“I don’t want other people raising our children, that’s your job and my job.” She said glaring at him.

“Okay, okay…” He said nodding, “With me just being an artist we may not need one, and I know that mom and dad will want to help.”
“Wait what about school?”
“Well I’m not going to go full time, just part time and mom an dad can watch the little bundles of joy when we’re both in class. Plus isn’t Layla moving here? She can babysit too.”
Evangeline nodded as she listened to his words, “You’ve thought a lot about this huh?”
“Every time we make love I wonder when we get to do it to create another life not just to express how much you mean to me.” He said smiling at her.

“So how soon are you talking here?” She questioned with a raised eyebrow and a half smile.
“If we’re married by this time next year, how about we start next December?”
“Start trying then?”
“Yeah.”
Evangeline nodded as she thought it over, “I think I can do that but you have to ask me to marry you first.” She said smiling and leaning forward to kiss his lips.
“I’m still looking for the ring.”
“Whatever you get me is perfect.”
“Nope, I’m looking now and haven’t found anything as gorgeous as you to grace your hand for the rest of your life.”
“I like that.”
“What?”
“The idea that we’ll be together for the rest of our lives, I love that actually.”

John smiled as she fell against his chest and held her, “I love it as well, I love you even more.”
“Not as much as I love you.” She said kissing his lips and pushing him further into the couch.

John groaned feeling her body wrap around his in a protective hold, they were getting back what they needed, the love that made them strong and able to fight against people that set out to destroy that love. They were meant to be and their conviction to each other would prove that to Brooke, her parent’s his parents and the rest of the world.
Putting the pieces together by OLTLfantimes10
The incessant knocking turned to pounding as Brooke rose to her feet and shuffled through her small New York city apartment scratching her head and pulling at her robe behind the door, “Who is it!” she called.
“NYPD Ma’am open the door!” They yelled through the closed locked door.

Brooked pulled her robe close and undid the five locks on her door before taking a step back. The police pushed the door open and stepped into her apartment to her shock, “What is going on!” she said stumbling backwards.
“Brooke Davison?” Detective Stabler said stopping in front of her as one other Detective and a CSU team member came into her apartment.
“Yes, what is this about?”
“We have a warrant to search the premises. Have a seat over there please.” He said pointing to her couch.

Brooked snatched the warrant from his hand and stumbled over to the couch as she tried to read it and understand what was going on, “I didn’t do anything!” she announced.
“That warrant doesn’t think so. Sit there and be quiet.” He snapped pointing to the couch.
Brooke looked up at him her bottom lip quivering and she held her robe close as she sat down on the couch. “Keep an eye on her.” Detective Stabler said pointing at the Officer standing in the hallway.

He walked through the apartment searching for any signs of the alleged crime committed and head to the bathroom where his partner was, “Find anything?” He asked peaking his head in.
“Nothing yet, check the bedroom would ya.” Detective Benson said nodding at him.
He nodded back and went into the bedroom. Slipping on a pair of latex gloves he went through all of her drawers and up under her bed. “Nothing in here.”
“Kitchen?” He asked shrugging his shoulder. They walked through the living room looked at Brooke and rolled their eyes as they walked into the kitchen.

Going through her kitchen they finally find what they are looking for, “Look what I found.” Detective Benson said standing up from digging in the refrigerator. Walking into the living room where Brooke sat she gave her a half smirk, “What is this Ms. Davison?” she asked holding up several small vials.
“I’ve never seen those!” She said jumping up from the couch.

“Brooke Davison you’re under arrest for possession of an illegal substance, you have the right to remain silent anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.” Olivia said handcuffing her.
“Wait, can I put on some clothes?” Brooke pleaded looking over her shoulder at the Detective.
Olivia walked her into the bedroom, “You’ve got five minutes.” She said uncuffing her and letting her get dressed.

Brooke rushed around pulling on a pair of jeans and a tee shirt and slipping on a pair of flip flops, “I didn’t do anything.” She said softly.
“We found the evidence in your fridge Brooke.”
“I have no clue how it got there! I didn’t do anything wrong.” She whined
“Brooke there’s evidence of a crime here are you involved in this with someone else?”
“What?”
“Did someone else give you the drugs?” Olivia asked sweetly.

Brooke turned her head away from Olivia and stood up from the bed, “Let’s go…” She mumbled turning her back so that she could be handcuffed again. Olivia walked over and let out a deep sigh, “Tell me who’s in this with you, it will make it so much easier on you.” She whispered as she walked Brooke out of the apartment.
~
Evangeline sat on top of the counter her legs crossed and hanging over the side as she ate a bowl of ice cream. “You’re going to ruin the meal I’m making.” John said looking over his shoulder at her.

“Nope…” She grinned kicking her feet back and forth, “It’s just and appetizer.”
John turned around from the stove resting against it and folded his arms over his bare chest, “You better eat what I’m making and not complain about being full young lady.” He said with a sexy wink.

Evangeline smiled as she shoved more ice cream into her mouth and giggled at him, “I’ll eat what you’re cooking don’t you worry your pretty little head.” She said winking back at him.
“I really hope you don’t let our kids get away with eating ice cream before dinner.”
“Who’s to say that you can’t have dessert first huh? I’m just indulging a little bit, I think I deserve that don’t you?” she asked setting the empty bowl into the sink next to her.

“I guess so, but don’t make it a daily habit.” John said turning back around.
Evangeline jumped down from the counter wearing his shirt from the day and walked up to him. She wrapped her arms around his body and rested her head on his shoulder, “What if I do, what are you going to do?”
“Stop cooking.”
“Then I’ll just eat more ice cream.” She said laughing.
“Well then I guess I can’t stop you can I?” he said raising the spoon up to her lips, “Taste.”

Evangeline opened her mouth to taste his pesto sauce and smiled at it, “Perfecto…” she said kissing his cheek and pulling out of the embrace, “Can we go to Italy?” she questioned standing next to him.
“Why do you want to go there?”
“I don’t know, something new. Maybe next summer?”
“I’ll think about it.”
“Please I really wanna go, take a trip around the whole country spend the summer there.” She said rubbing his arm, “Picture it making love in the Italian sun rise and sunset each night.”
“You make it sound so much better than it really is.” He said smiling at her.
“Oh you know it is baby.” She whispered in his ear, “Going to one of those small vineyards that’s been there for hundreds of years smashing grapes with our feet.”

John looked over at her and laughed, “They don’t do that any more.”
“Oh I bet I could persuade them to let me do it. Drinking wine in the moonlight, dancing under the stars in Tuscany, oh please Johnny!” she said jumping up and down and pulling at John’s arm.
“I’ll think about it.” He said kissing her lips, “Now get the garlic bread ready okay?” he said patting her on the butt.
“Think about it, just think about it?”
“Yeah think about it.” He said with a wink.

Evangeline smiled and went to get the French bread from on top of the fridge, “We’re going to Italy, we’re going to Italy…” she said singing to herself and swaying back and forth as she cut the bread an put some garlic butter on it.
“I didn’t say that!” John said laughing.
“I know you McBain you can’t deny me anything.” She said looking over her shoulder at him.
“You know me too well.” He said rolling his eyes, “Damn it…”

Evangeline turned with the garlic bread on a tray and hip checked John so that she could put it in the oven. Wiping her hands they heard the phone, “I’ll get it!” she said rushing to it.
“Hello?”
“Ms. Williamson, DA Garner.”
Evangeline looked over at John as she spoke, “DA Garner why are you calling?”
John dropped his spoon next to the pot and walked over to Evangeline taking the phone from her hands, “DA Garner, John McBain here.”

“Mr. McBain I just wanted to call and let you all know that we have Ms. Davison in custody.”
“You what! When did this happen?”
“The police just brought her into the station. That is all I can give you right now. We’ll keep you up to date about what’s going on.”
“What do you mean that’s all you can give me, what was she arrested on, what charges?” John demanded.
“Mr. McBain let the police and the DA’s office do their job. I’m calling you about this because of your last name plan and simple, normally you wouldn’t even be informed. Have a nice night.” He said hanging up the phone.

John hung up the phone and sat on the back of the couch, “What did he say?” Evangeline asked staring at him.
“They have Brooke in custody but they won’t tell me anything else. He said I should be lucky enough to have that information.”
Evangeline reached out and ran her hands through his hair before kissing his forehead, “They’ll get to the bottom of it babe.” She said holding him, “We just have to be patient.”
John kissed her as he rose and headed back into the kitchen to finish dinner, “I think the garlic bread is done.” He called out.

Evangeline hugged her body watching John’s body language he wasn’t happy right now and she knew it. Sighing she walked over forcing a soft smile on her lips. She pulled the garlic bread out as John plated their food and carried it over to the table. They ate with small talk scattered throughout the evening and cleaned the kitchen together. It was obvious that John wasn’t up for talking so Evangeline left him alone, she knew when her man just needed to be with his own thoughts and tonight was that time.

~
“I’m telling you I didn’t do anything!” Brooke yelled with tears in her eyes.
“Brooke the drugs were found in your fridge how do you explain that?” Olivia asked as she walked around the small interrogation room.
“No…no… I don’t know how they got there, I’m telling you the truth why don’t you believe me?”

“It’s kind of hard to believe you when we found the drugs and an old box of syringes. Where did you get it from, who gave this stuff to you?”
“No one, someone planted it in my place please stop I’m pregnant I can’t have the stress.” She said sobbing.
“Brooke…” Olivia said softly sitting next to her, “Look at me, who’s the father of your baby?”
“John…John McBain.” She sniffled.
“Do you have proof of that?”
“Yes, why?”
“We have a court order to do a DNA test on the baby.”
“No…no… I’m not letting you do that again! It could hurt the baby.” She yelled.

Olivia shook her head and frowned, “I have no choice the only way is if you tell me who is the father of your baby.”
“I want a lawyer.” She said putting her head to the table.
“I can’t help you with a lawyer in the picture are you sure about this?”
“Get me a lawyer!!” She screamed pounding her hands on the table.

Olivia rose from her seat and walked over to the observation room, “She lawyered up.” She said to Detective Stabler.
“I heard, what is this girl’s problem? It’s obvious someone is helping her.”
“She won’t break, I don’t get it. She’s in there balling, calling for a lawyer but she won’t let me help her.” Olivia said exhausted.
“What do we do now, she’s a kid basically carrying another kid accused of these crimes.”

“You go at her hard, I’m not loosing my job over this case.” ADA Andrews said coming into the office, “What did you all find out?”
“Nothing, she keeps saying she didn’t do it, why are we going at her so hard?”
“She’s been accused of assault and possession of a controlled substance, on Thomas McBain’s son.”
“McBain? Them again?” Elliott said rolling his eyes, “I thought we were done with them after that other kid, what’s his name pled guilty.”

Andrews rolled his eyes, “He was forced to plead guilty.”
“He did it!” Olivia snapped.
“Whatever…” Andrew said.
“Don’t whatever me, you didn’t see that girl he attacked. She was in shock Andrews how dare you sit there and try and minimize what she felt and experienced.”
“The only reason that boy is in jail is because she was lucky enough to be dating Thomas McBain’s son! Now we have a girl in custody accused of the same deed.”
“You don’t think she’s involved in that too?” Elliott questioned.
“I don’t know, all I do know is that if we don’t do something to keep that girl in lock up at least for the forty eight hours we can hold her for then all three of us will lose our jobs.” Andrews said walking away from them, “Find out what you can about her and her connection to Shane Cassidy.”

Olivia and Elliott blew out annoyed breaths, “That guy disgusts me.” She said rubbing her face. “He’s going to come in here and tell us that the only reason we’re going at this girl is because of the victim, I don’t think so. If the charges are true she’s out for something and it isn’t a father for that baby.”
“Money?”
“Money…”

~ Two A.M.

Evangeline rolled over pulling her pillow close to her chest when she heard the soft thumping of the bass of John’s stereo. After dinner he insisted that he needed some time alone to paint and she took the opportunity to start studying and reading for her classes that start in a few days.

Pushing the covers away she stood up on the cold hardwood floor and rubbed her head pulling at her shirt. Shuffling through the apartment her eyes adjusted to the bright track lighting highlighting the canvas he was working on. Leaning against the door jam Evangeline yawned as she hugged her body trying to see what he was creating. Reds, nothing but different shades of reds, he was mad, furious even with those deep shades of red.

“John.” She said walking up to him.
He turned his eyes bloodshot and puffy from crying she assumed. Taking the paint brush from his hands she pulled him along, “Come with me.”
“I’m working.”
“You’re done working.” She said turning off the radio.
John ran his hand over his face and through his hair as she led him back to the other side of the apartment.

Stepping into the bathroom she turned the water to the bath tub on as he stood watching her, “What are you doing?” he questioned through a yawn.
Evangeline stood up on her tip toes pushing his hair from his face and kissed his forehead, “You’re stressing out over nothing.” She whispered, “I can see it in your face.”
“No…no… I’m fine.”

Kissing his nose Evangeline turned off the water and turned back to him, “You lie McBain.” She said smirking at him, “I know my man and you’re stressing out.” She said pulling at the drawstring to his pants. “Earlier you gave me what I needed by showing me that I’m the only one you love.” She said sliding her hands into his pants and pushing them down, “Let me return the favor. Get in.”

John looked at the tub filled with bubbles and back at her with raised eyebrows, “I’m not getting in there.”
“You are.” She said pinching his butt. John glared at her and then smiled as he stepped into the steamy bubble bath and sunk deep into the tub. Evangeline smiled as she sat on the edge of the tub pulling her knees to her chest, “Temperature okay?” she wondered moving the bubbles around with her hands.

John rested his head against the back of the tub and smiled, “It’s perfect thank you.” He mumbled.
Evangeline rose getting her bath pillow and placing it behind his head. She knelt behind the tub and finished the massage she started earlier in the night. “I wish you wouldn’t let all of this build up on you.” She said against his ear as she worked the knots from his shoulders and neck.

“It helps me create, the fire and pain I feel over this, the stress is good for work production.” He said his eyes closing as she sunk deeper into the tub, “Don’t stop, that feels good.” He said tilting his head to the side. “Right there, yes…” he moaned softly.

Evangeline continued to work his muscles to free the tension knots he held. “Thank you for this babe.”
“No thanks needed.” She said dragging her tongue along his ear and back down again, “No thanks needed.” Evangeline rose up wiping her hands on a towel and sat back down next to him, “You need anything?”

John opened one of his eyes and saw her hand moving in the tub playing with the bubbles. Sitting up he grabbed her hand pulling her into the tub in one sweeping gesture, “JOHN!” she screamed the bubbles getting in her face and eyes.
“What I need is the same thing I’ll always need, your love.” He said softly.

Evangeline pushed his wet hair from his face, and put her forehead against his, “That’s something you’ll never have to doubt.” She said kissing him.
“Thank you, I need that, I needed to know that.”
“Well all you have to do is look in my eyes John.” She said continuing to caress his face and push his hair from his face. “I’m going to let you relax, come to bed when you’re done don’t go paint okay?” she asked pushing from his lap.
“Stay.”
“No, you relax.”
“Please.” He said lowering his eyes and poking out his bottom lip, “For me baby.”
“I never should have told you that look turns me on, damn it!” she said puling her shirt over her head and throwing it to the side. It fell to the ground and John grinned as she turned straddling his lap and putting her arms on the back of the bathtub. “Love you, John McBain.” She said softly kissing his lips.

~ Next afternoon

“McBain.” John said walking into the apartment and setting his keys on the counter top.
“Hey, it’s me. I just got done talking with your dad and his PI goons. You want to help me do a little investigation, or are you too busy painting.” Todd said trying to hail a cab.
“No, I can help what’s up, what do you want to do?” John questioned grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge.

“Well I have a lead on her apartment.”
“Don’t worry about that, the police already searched it.” John stated.
“Okay, well she’s a waiter at a diner near her place in Brooklyn. We can go there and do a little sleuth work, sound like a plan?”
“Sounds like a plan, let me call Van and let her know.”
“Okay I’ll be at your place in a bit, I’m just now leaving your dad’s office and it’s hell trying to get a cab.” He snapped agitated that no one was stopping for him.

“Well take your time man, Brooke’s in custody, the police are questioning her or at least they were last night when DA Garner called and then refused to tell me anything.”
“Well we don’t have to follow the police’s rules we create our own. See ya in a bit man.”
“Yeah later.” John snapped his cell phone shut and tossed it on to the counter top next to his keys.

~

John and Todd pulled up the small diner in Brooklyn and stepped out of the cab as John paid the fare. “You sure this is the right place?” He asked looking up at Todd.
“Yeah it’s what the PI’s found.”
“Why aren’t they here?”
Todd walked down the street into the diner with John on his heels, “Talked your dad into letting me handle this part and they investigate her neighbors at her apartment building, they were all for it.”
“Well that’s good.”

They walked in and quickly scanned the place looking for a booth they could sit in. Grabbing the menus they quickly scanned them as a waitress came up to them. Todd smiled his boyish grin as he placed his menu in front of him and smiled at the pretty lady with strawberry blonde hair and light blue eyes. Her hair was pulled up into a ponytail and she wore a pink and white waitress uniform with a little apron in the front. “What can I get you boys.” She said smiling at them and popping her gum.

“You know some girl named Brooke?” he asked looking at her nametag, “Jessie?”
“Brooke yeah, I’m covering for her, what’s it to you.” She said leaning over.
“I had a date with her last night and she stood me up, just trying to get in contact with her.”
Jessie eyed Todd up and down and scoffed, “You’re not Brooke’s type, but you… you handsome, you are.” She said grinning at John.
“Me?” He said stunned.
“Yeah you sugar, she would totally go for you, dark hair and deep penetrating eyes, she loves those eyes.” She said softly gnawing on the inside of her lip.
“Well, she asked my friend out here and didn’t show up, we were just hoping that she was cool ya know.” John said smiling back at her.

“Well I wouldn’t know. My boss called me in to cover her shift, didn’t say why. I need the tips so here I am.”
“You friends with her?” Todd asked.
“Kinda, I mean we hang out and shit, but not that often.” She said staring at them, “What’s this really about?”
“Seriously she hung me out to dry last night, just trying to figure out why no harm no foul, is there anyone else that would know maybe what happened last night to her?” Todd asked smiling at her.
“Yeah, Pilar, over there.” She said nodding back to the young Latina who had a big smile on her face as she helped some customers.
“Excuse me.” Todd pushed from the booth and walked over to the counter and took a seat.

“So you guys want anything?” She asked annoyed.
“Yeah can I get a tuna melt?” John said smiling at her as he put the menu away.
“Sure and for your friend?”
“Burger and fries should do it, thanks a lot.”
“Anything.” She said giving him a sexy wink, “Anything at all.” She mumbled walking away.

“Excuse me Pilar?” Todd said smiling at the young woman trying to get her attention.
“Yes do I know you?”
“No, but I was hoping you could help me with something. Jessie told me your friends with Brooke.”
“Yeah and?”
“We were supposed to have a date yesterday and she stood me up, just wondering if she’s okay that’s all.”
Pilar started giggling as she served coffee to one of the customers, “You and Brooke on a date, yeah right, her boyfriend would throw a fit!” she said laughing harder now.

Todd pushed away from the counter and turned to stare at John. Walking back over to the booth he slid in with a big smile on his face, “Want to know what I know?” he asked playing with his silverware.
“Do I want to know what you know? I honestly don’t know Manning, some of the stuff that comes out of your mouth, is ridiculous at times.” He said with a smirk.

“Hey now, watch it or I’ll keep what I’ve found out to myself.”
“Spill.”
“Ms. Brooke has a boyfriend.” He said with a cocky head tilt as he leaned against the back of the booth.
“No shit.”
“Yeap, did you find out anything else, like his name?”

Todd hit his forehead and looked over at Pilar who was serving some customers. “Shit…” he mumbled.
“What kind of investigator are you Manning, jeez!” John threw his hands up in the air and shook his head at him.
“What, I was just so over whelmed by the fact that she has a man, I mean a man John! That’s some interesting shit. Don’t you think?”
“Yea and it would be nice if we new the guys name wouldn’t it. Go ask the waitress!”

Todd rolled his eyes and walked back over to Pilar, “That boy that’s seeing my Brooke.”
“Don’t know his name never asked.”
“How long they been together?”
“About nine months now I guess, why?”
“Just wondering why she would lead me on if she had a man.”
“I highly doubt Brooke led you on. You know she’s pregnant too right?”
“He’s the father?”
“That’s what she told me, she was really excited about it.”
“Thanks Pilar, now I know better.” Todd said with a wink.
She rolled her eyes at him as he walked back over to his booth and took a seat.

“No name, but she admitted to Pilar that the baby was her boyfriends.”
“How long have they been together?” John asked as he ate his lunch.
Todd stared down at the burger and fries on his plate and rolled his eyes “You order this for me?”
“Yeah what’ wrong with it?”
He picked up the top of the bun, “There’s no cheese dude I mean come on! You order me a burger with no cheese, that’s a bunch of shit John. I can’t eat this!” he said shoving the plate into the middle of the table.
“All they have to do is slap some cheese on it, I’ll call Jessie over for you if you like.” John laughed shaking his head.

“Is it gouda? You know I only like gouda on my burgers.”
John set his tuna melt down and wiped his hands as he stared at Todd, “Are you fucking kidding me!” He snapped, “I barely know what I like how am I supposed to remember that your ass likes gouda of all cheese on your burger.”
“It’s the only way to go baby. Can we go now, we got some info we can head over to her apartment hopefully your dad’s PI’s are gone and we can look around ourselves.”

John looked up at him with a raised eyebrow, “You see me eating why would you think I would want to leave now.”
“Ummm because this is your life we’re talking about, that’s why.”
“Damn it fine. How far away does she live from here?”
“Few blocks up the street. Ready?” Todd asked throwing some cash on the table.
“Thanks for lunch man.” John said grabbing his sandwich and a few napkins to wrap it up in.

They took the short walk up the street to Brooke’s apartment building and pushed the button until someone let them in. Taking the four flights up to her apartment they knocked on the door when they saw no officer out side it. “You think she got bail yet?” Todd asked leaning against the door frame.

“Not if my dad had anything to do with it. See if it’s open.”
“No you!” Todd said pushing him.
“You…” John said pushing Todd back.
“Fine, but you owe me McBain.”
John rolled his eyes as Todd tried the door and found it open. Todd smirked as he walked into the apartment taking everything small detail in, “This is a shit hole.” He mumbled.
“Hey not everyone can afford to live in a two bedroom apartment on Madison Avenue.” John shot.
“And not everyone can afford to own their own building in Tribeca!” Todd snapped back at him.
“Whatever man, let’s hurry up this feels weird.”

“What don’t like breaking the law McBain?” Todd joked.
“No I prefer to stay on the right side of the law, God forbid!” he said walking around.
“You see anything man?” Todd asked.
“No, nothing. I mean if they are so close and have been together for how long?”
“Pilar said about nine months or so.”
“Well if they’ve been together for that long wouldn’t she have a picture or two of them around the apartment?” John wondered.
“We all aren’t you and Evangeline with pictures galore all around the house of each other.” Todd smirked.
“Jealous much?”
“Nah not any more, Andrea’s good, Andrea’s great actually I miss her a lot.” Todd nodded with a half smile.
“She was good for you Manning, kept you on level ground.”

“Thanks I thought so too. She did good things for me. Real good things, listen there isn’t anything in here, why don’t we go?”
“Just a few more minutes okay?” John asked looking around.
“Okay…”

~
“Is there anything I can get you my dear?” Thomas asked standing at the door to their bedroom.
“No, I’m fine. Thank you.” She said softly.
“My pleasure, Evangeline let me know if either of you need anything.”
“We’re fine Thomas thank you.” She said with a wink and holding Eve’s hand.

Thomas closed the door to the bedroom and left Evangeline and Eve alone. “So how is John?”
“He’s dealing Eve, this whole thing has him all tense and I’m afraid that he’s going to blow soon.”
“Blow?”
“Yeah I caught him last night painting at two in the morning.”
“That’s not unusual.” Eve said shaking her head.
“What he was painting was, it was a canvas full of different shades of red.”
“I don’t understand?” Eve questioned shifting in her bed.

“The reds are his way of expressing anger and frustration. He won’t voice it so he paints it. You should have seen him last night I was really worried.”
“I’m sure you were, but you were there to take care of my boy so he’s going to be okay now right?”
“I sure hope so Eve, I hate to see him so upset. They have Brooke in custody you know that right?”
“Yeah Thomas told me this morning, she hasn’t been arraigned yet?”
“Not that I know of, Todd and John are still tracking down information on Brooke and her life.”

Eve smiled as she squeezed Evangeline’s hand, “They are going to prove that girl a liar aren’t they?”
“That’s the plan Eve and for both John and I’s sake I hope they can do it. Because I know this is killing him.”
“What about you dear, is this killing you?”
“It hurts, even the possibility that she could be carrying John’s baby hurts. There’s this tiny place right here.” She said touching her stomach, “That burns every time I thing of it. I am the one that’s supposed to carry his children, not someone else. I’m the one that’s supposed to help him raise his children not some two bit hoe who just showed up out of no where.”

“Evangeline!” Eve said shocked at her language.
“I’m sorry Eve, but just the thought that it’s possible that her baby could be John’s hurts.”
Eve opened her arms and Evangeline came into them, hugging her tightly, “She’s not carrying John’s child, she will not produce the heir to the McBain family, that’s your job hun.” She said rubbing her back. “That’s your job.”

Evangeline closed her eyes fighting back her tears and held Eve tightly, “Thank you for saying that it means a lot, you mean a lot to me.” She said pulling her back, “I know I have a mom but she’s so far away and it’s so hard to talk to her about these things. She doesn’t see John the way you and I do. I wouldn’t dare tell my father about all of this until it’s all understood and explained.”

“That will be soon enough won’t it. Thomas told me about the other DNA test.”
“Yeah we got a court order for another one. This one is going to prove the truth though.”
“That, that baby isn’t John’s but some other guy’s.”
“Right!” she said with a big smile.

~
“Can we go now!” Todd whined bouncing his knees as he sat on the couch waiting for John to finish up his investigation.
John came out of the small bedroom holding a shirt, “Look what I found while you were busy whining over there.”
“What’s that?” Todd said rolling his eyes and looking over at John.

John held out a Woodberry Forrest Boarding School Tee-shirt. “What the hell?” He said walking up to it.
“That’s the exact same thing I said.”
“I don’t remember her…” Todd said taking the shirt from his hands.
“I highly doubt she went there.”
“Her boyfriend maybe?”
“Someone that has it out for all three of us.” John said with a smirk.
“O’Leary?”
“He’s the only one.”
“But all of this John, no way?”

John took the tee shirt back and shook it, “It’s the only thing that makes sense. We screwed up his life Todd. I took his girlfriend, you exposed him for the piece of shit he is and the last I heard his dad basically kicked him out of the family, so I mean…”
“But how, why?”
“We know the why, and I’m sure that Shane guy is some friend of his or something. The how I don’t know, we’ll have to find him and ask him that.”
“Let’s go.” Todd said walking to the door. “I’ll get the PI”s on the phone and get them on tracking his sorry ass down.”

Before they could open the door it opened itself and John and Todd came face to face with Finnegan O’Leary in the flesh and blood. Finn stared at them in shock and then took off running. John and Todd looked between each other before they took off in full sprints chasing after Finn down the stairs and out the apartment building.
It all comes Full Circle by OLTLfantimes10
Finn pushed through a crowd of tourists that stood in the middle of the sidewalk as John and Todd went running after him. “FINN! GET YOUR SORRY ASS BACK HERE!” John yelled as he pushed people out of the way. Todd followed John’s lead and pushed his hair out of his eyes, “I don’t do this shit.” He huffed as he chased after John and Finn.

Rounding the corner John shoved a man out of the way as Finn looked back over his shoulder with an Oh Shit face. He ran his hands through his hair as he turned back around to run smack into a light post knocking him on his ass and shattering his nose.

John slowed up as he saw Finn on the ground holding his nose and screaming out in pain as his hands filled with blood. “That’s what you get you piece of trash.” John said yanking Finn up by his shirt collar.
“FUCK YOU MAN!” Finn coughed out as his blood leaked between his fingers.
“You’re lucky you fucked up your nose man because I would have loved to mess up that pretty little face of yours.”
“Get your hands off me man, I didn’t do shit!” He snapped elbowing John off of him.

“Thank the lord you caught the ass.” Todd panted as he stopped at John and Finn, “I couldn’t go any further.” He panted putting his hand son his knees.
John looked over at him and rolled his eyes, “Call the police Todd.”
“Shit, why? I didn’t do anything!” Finn yelled as he tilted his head back trying to stop his nose from bleeding.
“Call the police Todd.” John said holding Finn tighter.
Todd rolled his eyes and pulled out his cell phone. Calling Detective Stabler he waited for them to answer and told them of their location. “He said a squad car would be around in about ten minutes to pick us up.” Todd said slipping his phone back into his pocket.

“Ten minutes interesting.” John said with a wicked grin as he turned to look back at Finn. Pushing Finn up the brick wall of the building John got in his face and stared him down, “How are things Finnegan?” He hissed.
“Get the fuck outta my face man before I lay your ass out”
John laughed in his face and punched him in the stomach, “That’s for sending that ass to drug Evangeline.”
“What are you talking about?” Todd said staring at him, “Finn didn’t do that!”

John looked up at Todd with a raised eyebrow, “You don’t think he did? I think other wise, there’s a reason why all this happened on your birthday isn’t it Finn!” John said shoving him back against the wall again.
“I aint saying shit and you can’t make me!” he said wiping his face free of blood.
“I know ways of getting you to talk Finn.” Todd said walking up to him and getting in his face as John held him up against the wall, “Don’t I John?”
“You lay another hand on me and I’ll file assault charges against the both of you!”

Todd and John both laughed at him and then turned to laugh at each other, “We aren’t in school Finn, you can’t go running and screaming to Headmaster Williamson about us.”
“The hell I can’t, the police will protect me.” He screamed.
“Have you forgotten what our last names are Finn, where in New York City and you’ve been screwing with a McBain and a Manning.” Todd said pushing his fingers into Finn’s forehead.

“So why don’t we make things easy on all of us and you just go a head and spill your guts. Right here out in the open.”
“Fuck nah man. I didn’t do anything and I don’t know what you’re talking about drugging Evangeline, I figured you two would be history by now.”
John smiled and punched him against in the stomach pulling him back up as soon as he doubled over in pain. “Try again, or this time I’ll let Todd go at you.”
“No! I aint saying shit.” Finn moaned getting ready for John to punch him again.
“Fine, we’ll let Brooke tell us all about that won’t we now?” Todd said looking over his shoulder as the police car pulled up and the two officers stepped out.
“Brooke, what did you do to her!” He yelled
“Nothing man, it’s what you did to her.” John said shoving Finn to the officers, “I’m riding with you.”
“So am I!” Todd called out.

“The hell you two are.” The officer yelled as the other one examined what happened to Finn.
John walked up getting into the officer’s face, “My name is John McBain and you are taking me with you, or I’ll have your badge Officer George.” He said looking down at the officer’s badge.
“I apologize Mr. McBain, of course you and your friend can ride with us.” He said coughing and taking a step back.
“What the fuck man, they aint nobody! Don’t let them push you around.” Finn yelled as he was shoved into the police car.

Todd and John winked at Finn as they walked up to the car getting in the back seat with him. The doors closed and the car zoomed off back across the bridge into Manhattan. John pulled out his cell phone he nodded at Finn and Todd as he waited for Evangeline to answer.

“Hey you, I’m sitting here watching TV with your mom.”
“I’m in the back of a police car.” John said with a smile.
“You’re what! John what happened?”
“Can you get my dad and the lawyer and get down to the fifth precinct.”
“Why? John what happened, what’s going on?”
“You’ll never believe it.” John said eyeing Finn up and down, “You’ll never believe it. Just get my dad and have him get the lawyer we’ll meet you at the station in a bit.”
“John wait, can you at least tell me what this is all about?”

John ran his hand through his hair and smiled, “We’re about to get down to the bottom of all of this baby, just trust me. Love you.”
“I love you too John.” She said softly before closing her cell phone.

Evangeline looked over at Eve and smiled, “I have to go do you know where Thomas is?”
“Probably in his office, why what’s going on?”
“I don’t know.” Evangeline said crawling off the bed, “John just told me to get Thomas and head to the police station. He wouldn’t say why though. Just that we’re about to figure all of this out.”
“Figure all of what out?”
“I don’t know?” She said shrugging her shoulders. Evangeline gave Eve a hug and kissed her cheek, “I’ll call you once I know anything okay?”
“Okay please do.”

Evangeline walked out of the bedroom and down the stairs to Thomas’ office. Knocking on the door she pushed the door open with a warm smile, “I’m very sorry to disturb you but I just got a call from John.” She said holding up her cell phone.
Thomas took his glasses of and waved her in further, “What did my boy have to say?”
“He asked me to get you, the lawyer and head to the police station.” She said smiling softly at him.

“He didn’t say why?” He asked rising from his seat behind his desk.
“No, he just said get you and the lawyer and head over there. Are you coming?”
“Yes, we’ll call the lawyer on the way.” He said grabbing his glasses, cell phone and PDA, “Does Eve know where we’re going?”
“Yes I was upstairs with her when John called. She wants us to call her as soon as we know anything.”
“Okay…” He said smiling at her and walking with her to the kitchen, “Have you seen Jerry?” Thomas asked Claudia.
“He’s in his room sir. Is everything okay?”
“Not sure Claudia, not sure.” Thomas walked down the hallway to his driver’s room. Knocking on the door he waited for Jerry to answer and smiled when he opened the door, “I’m sorry to disturb you Jerry.”
“Where do you need to go sir?”
Thomas smiled, “The fifth precinct.” Evangeline said nodding at him.

Jerry grabbed his hat and coat and closed his bedroom door. Walking out with Thomas and Evangeline they headed to the car. “This is making me very nervous.” Evangeline said wringing her hands and bouncing her leg up and down.
“I understand your fear dear.” He said patting her hand.
Evangeline smiled at him as she ran her hands through her hair again and looked out the window.

~
“Where are you babe?” John asked coming into the station following the cops who held Finn.
“Where about ten minutes away, can you tell me what’s going on John?”
“You’ll see when you get here.” He said looking up as Finn spat at him and walked into the holding cell. “What did you do to his nose sir?”
“I didn’t do anything he ran into a light pole.” Todd said laughing.
“I didn’t do anything to his sorry ass face!” John snapped.

“John what’s going on?”
“I’ve got to go babe, see you when you get here.” He said closing his phone. “Is he saying I did that?”
“Yeah as well as punching him in the stomach about five times.”
“That’s bull shit, I didn’t touch him.” John snapped, “Todd was there he saw the whole thing go down. That idiot ran into a light pole and busted his nose it isn’t my fault that he’s a dumbass.”

The officer chuckled at John and walked further into the police station, “You two have a seat right there.”
“Are Detectives Benson and Stabler here?”
“They’re on their way down, have a seat and stay away from the prisoner.”
Todd chuckled as he wrote all of this down in his small notebook, “Prisoner can you believe that shit.” He said laughing and sitting next to John.
“It’s what he is. Oh man I can’t believe he’s behind all of this.”
“The Brooke stuff yeah, but what were you saying earlier about Evangeline?” Todd questioned

“Yeah what about me?” Evangeline said walking in with Thomas.
John pushed up from his seat walking to her hugging her and kissing her quickly, “You’ll never guess who showed up at Brooke’s apartment while we were there.” John said looking between his dad and Evangeline.
“Someone you made bleed?” she said looking at his collar.
“Yeah, it’s his blood but no seriously guess.”
Evangeline shook her head and looked at Thomas confused, “I have no clue.”

“Finnegan O’Leary!” Todd yelled jumping up behind John.
“Damnit Todd.” He hissed.
“What, she wasn’t going to figure it out.” He said glaring at John.
“What do you mean Finnegan O’Leary?” She asked softly.
“He’s behind all of this baby…” John said touching her shoulder.
“I’m confused, what on earth are you talking about?” Evangeline said shaking her head.

“We don’t have all the details yet but he’s involved some how. As Todd and I were leaving Brooke’s place he came in.”
“Finn knows Brooke?” Evangeline asked softly trying to understand everything.
“Yes, we think it’s her boyfriend and the real father of her baby.”
Evangeline touched her chest as she sat slowly down in the chairs next to John and Todd trying to catch her breath. Her head was swimming, “Did he do this to me?” she asked softly.

John looked down at her and knelt in front of her, “Maybe we’re not sure yet babe. The Police are going to question him.”
“The hell they are, let me at that boy!” Thomas snapped walking past John, Todd, and Evangeline in a huff.

He walked over to the jail cell where Finn was resting against and stuck his arm through the bars wrapping his arm around Finn’s neck and holding him against the jail cells, “What the fuck did you do to my family.” Thomas hissed against Finn’s neck.
Finn clawed against Thomas’ grip kicking his legs back and forth as Thomas held him tight, “You have your boy Shane try and rape Evangeline? You sick fuck…” He said pushing his forearm into Finn’s throat.

“DAD!” John yelled pulling him off of Finn. “Let go damn it, I don’t want you in jail either.”
Thomas heard his son’s pleas and let go of Finn who fell to the ground coughing and gasping for breath. Finn turned around and sat on the ground looking up at Thomas who had a murderous look on his face. He scooted back quickly seeing the deadly intent in Thomas’ eyes and his nostrils flaring like a mad man.

Thomas crotched down near the bars pushing Todd and John away from him, “We meet again Finn…” he hissed.
“Mr. McBain sir. I didn’t do anything wrong.”
“That quivering look on your face not to mention that stain in the middle of your pants makes me think something different.” He hissed.
Finn ran a hand over his face and stared at him, “I’m sorry sir.”

Evangeline walked over looking at Thomas glaring Finn down and bent down next to Thomas, “You look like the pussy I dumped four years ago.” She snapped with an angry stare.
“Bitch.” He hissed.
“What did you call my girlfriend!” John shouted.
“Shit where’s the police in this place.”
“I own the police, they’ll be staying out of here as long as I tell them too.” Thomas said with a smile. “So why don’t we not waste any more time or theirs and just tell me what I want to know.”
“What do you want to know?”
“Did you set someone up to rape me!” Evangeline yelled.
“NO!” Finn snapped, “I would never do that.”

Evangeline moved closer to the bars, “Look at my face Finn, I loved you once and I know you had some kind of feelings for me even though you were screwing around on me, so tell me the truth all of it!” she said looking angrily at him.
“It wasn’t supposed to go down that way. He wasn’t supposed to rape you or even try.”
“So you know Shane Cassidy?” John asked helping Evangeline up from the floor.

“It’s Brooke’s cousin.” He said lowering his head.
“And Brooke’s your girlfriend?”
“Yeah.”
“That’s your baby?” Thomas asked.
“Yeah.” Finn said with his head down his arms on his knees.

Evangeline shook her head pushing John’s arms off of her, “What do you mean he wasn’t supposed to try and rape me.”
“He was just supposed to drug you and get you in the bed for Todd to find. Then Todd would beat him up and go to jail. Brooke was supposed to do the same thing so that Evangeline could walk in on her and John.”
“Me, why me!” Todd said insulted.
“You’re the reason I don’t have shit.” Finn shouted at Todd.

“Why because you can’t keep it in your pants.” Todd said rolling his eyes, “Come on man, you and I both know you screwed yourself I just put it out there for the public to see.”
“You shouldn’t have done it! I didn’t deserve that man.”
“You treated my friends like trash, you deserved everything you got.” Todd hissed.
“And so did the three of you!” Finn yelled getting off the floor, “I have no remorse for what I did, you all deserve it, all three of you!” he snapped. “Who would know that working at the hospital would come in so handy.”
“That’s how you got the drugs?” John asked staring at him.
“Yeah they really should learn to count their meds, not to mention Shane’s a whiz at that chemistry shit.”
“That’s because you paid other people to do your homework, ya prick.” Todd snapped.

“Tell me this.” John said staring at him through the jail bars.
“What?”
“How’d she get in?”
“Brooke?”
“You really shouldn’t leave your keys just lying around Johnny Boy, anyone can take them off the key ring let themselves back in and put it back like it was never missing.” Finn said with a wink.

Evangeline ran a hand over her face and continued to glare at Finn, “You’re a pathetic excuse for a human being Finn, and you’re a waste of breathing air. You disgust me.”
Turning around she reached for John’s hand and kissed him in front of Finn, “It didn’t work you’re little plan.” John said holding Evangeline close, “She wouldn’t leave me.”
“That’s disgusting, your boyfriend is accused of being the father of another woman’s child and you stick by him. Please!” he said rolling his eyes.

“It’s not disgusting, it’s love something that you could never fathom or understand because you don’t deserve it, not from anyone.” John hissed.
“Let’s go, we’ll let the police handle this.” Thomas said turning around.
“They don’t have anything on me!” Finn called after him.
Todd smirked as Thomas, Evangeline and John walked away, “You know I’m a newspaper man right?”
“Not for long from what I hear.”
Todd pulled out his small tape recorder and replayed the last part of what Finn said, “Oh I think this will make an amazing story! I bet I can get a series out of it. Not to mention putting your tired ass away as well. Ahhh sweet justice!” Todd said walking backwards with a smile on his face, “Sweet…sweet… justice!”

Todd stopped when he saw the Detectives coming into the precinct, “You got a tape recorder some place?”
“Yeah up stairs in T.A.R.U.” Stabler said nodding up the stairs.
“What’s that?” Todd questioned.
“Technical Assistance Response Unit. They handle all the technical aspects, computers, tape recordings, what do you have?”
“Just a tape recorded confession from one Finnegan O’Leary.”
“Is that the guy we’re here to question?”
“You got it Stabler, that’s him. He’s the one behind this whole thing and the father to Brooke’s baby.”
“How’d you get that?” Stabler asked trying to take the recording from Todd’s hands.

Todd pulled his hand back slipping it into his jean pocket, “That’s for me to know and you to find out. I’ll be getting you a copy of this in the near future.” He said walking around both Detectives with a little extra in his step.

He came down the stairs to see Evangeline and John holding each other with big smile’s on their faces as Thomas stood next to the car blabbering on his cell phone, “What is he talking about?”
“I don’t know and I don’t care.” John said looking down at Evangeline and caressing her face.
“Where were you Todd?” Evangeline asked looking over at him.
“Just talking with Finn, nothing more nothing less,” He said with a wink and sliding past Thomas into the town car.
Thomas nodded at Evangeline and John and they got in the car after him.

“I can’t believe he went to such lengths.” She said shaking her head.
“He’s sick babe, and now we know for a fact that Brook was involved and how and why.” He said squeezing her shoulders.
“I can’t believe she went through this. Why would she?”
“You should have seen her apartment and the diner she worked at.” Todd said quivering from the memories of it, “Obviously they needed the money and they thought they would be able to get it from you John, or even Thomas.”

Evangeline pulled from John’s embrace and leaned across the car to Todd, “Thank you for everything Manning.” She said kissing his cheek, “You are the best friend a girl could have. And I’m calling Andrea to let her know everything that you did for John and me.”
“Not just for you two, hell what I got on this tape will get me my editor position back and probably another spot in the Times.” He said excited.

Evangeline laughed as she sat back next to John, “What do you say we celebrate?” he said kissing her temple.
“I like the sound of that, Tavern on the Green?” Evangeline asked.
“Sounds good, I’ll call and make the reservation for what five?”
“Oh Eve we have to tell her what’s going on.” Evangeline said pulling out her cell phone.
They all sat in the back of the town car chatting on their cell phones making reservations telling what happened with Finn and getting his job back.

The evening was spent dining on fine food with lively conversation and a toast or two in honor ever everyone involved. As the night ended they all departed to their respective homes.

2 months later~

Evangeline stood up under the shower letting it wash over her body. It was close to Halloween and Todd was having a huge party at his place invitation only. John walked into the bathroom and heard her singing and a smile crept across his lips. The past two months had been amazing, amazingly difficult. She was stressing about school and her latest MCAT results and John was worried about his next show which was next week.

Something else she didn’t know was that John had been in contact with Charles over the past six months. They were slowly working through their differences and Charles was starting to come around in liking and respecting John and his relationship with Evangeline.

Coming out of the shower with a towel wrapped around her body she smiled watching John pack a small bag, “Where are you going?”
“Day trip into Connecticut, just packing a few things incase I get stuck.” John said not stopping to look at her.

“Oh, for what reason?”
“Business for the gallery, I’m going with Pierce and Jackson.”
“Oh okay… well have fun.” She said sitting on the bed in front of him.
“It’s Connecticut, what kind of fun could I have?” He said laughing and winking at her. “You have a midterm today don’t you?”
“Yeah Bio Chem. Not looking forward too it.”
“Well you’ll do fine, I’m glad you stayed here last night.”
“Why is that?”
“I miss not having you in y arms during school that’s all. You study better here anyway and I think you know it.” He said smiling and packing the rest of his stuff.

“You are very right about that John McBain.”
“I know I am, I better get going I have to catch the train. Love you.” He said kissing her quickly.
Evangeline smiled and kissed him back, “Love you too McBain.”

~

“It’s very good to see you again John, I understand you are becoming one of the hottest artists on the New York art circuit.” Ms. Brooks said as she walked around her art room.
“I wouldn’t be where I am today with out you Felicity. Thank you so much.”
“Hey it’s my pleasure, just mention me in that autobiography of yours.” She said with a soft smile.

John looked at some of the latest artwork of her students and shook his head, “Anyone worth looking at?”
“Not really, I have a few students in my lower level class that have potential but nothing like what I’ve seen from you. You’re one in a million McBain.”
“You flatter me Felicity. I have something for you.”
“What’s that?”
“It’s an invitation to Thanksgiving dinner in New York at my parent’s house.”
“Me?”
“Yes, I consider you a part of my extended family, it was actually Evangeline’s idea.”
“You two are still together, impressive.”
“Oh yeah she’s my muse, couldn’t do what I do without her.” He said smiling at her, “So we’ll see you in a few weeks for dinner?”
“I’d love it, loved to see Evangeline again.”
“She’d love it as well. One more thing.” He said pulling a small painting out of his bag. “This is for you.”

Felicity took the painting and stared at it for a moment, “It’s intense, passionate, angry, defiant, it’s marvelous.” She said looking up at him.
“You really like it?” John wondered.
Felicity nodded her head, “It’s beautiful John thank you.” She said giving him a quick hug.
“It’s my pleasure glad you liked it.”
“I do…”
“I wish I could stay longer I have a meeting with Headmaster Williamson.”
“Oh okay, don’t want to keep you from him. Give Evangeline my best would you.”
“Will do, have a wonderful rest of the semester and I’ll see you at Thanksgiving.” He said waving as he left the room.

~

“Thank you for coming all of this way John.”
John nodded as Charles came around his desk and took a seat, “Well it’s not every day that the father of my future wife asks to see me.”
Charles forced a weak smile, “You’re still planning on asking her to marry you?”
“As soon as I find the right ring you better believe it. I only have a short period of time left though.”
“Why is that?”
“I hope to do it over Christmas sir.” He said smiling at him.

Charles smiled and nodded his head, “I want to be apart of my daughter’s life. I only hear things second hand from my wife and Layla and I hate it.”
“She wants that too sir.”
“Charles please.” He said holding up his hand.
John smiled at the dropping of the formalities, “Charles.’

“I heard what you did for her over the summer how you stuck by her and what have you.”
“I wouldn’t have it any other way.”
Rising from his seat Charles walked over and pulled up a chair next to John, “I know we’ve had our differences but I would like to make amends right here and now. I understand the only way to be in Evangeline’s life and share everything with her is to accept you, you two come as a package deal.”
“We do sir.”

Charles extended his hand to John who took it quickly and shook his hand. Standing up Charles pulled John in to a fatherly hug. “Your family has done more for my daughter than my family has done for you. I’d like to rectify that.”
“There’s no need Charles, all I ask is that you come to Thanksgiving dinner at my parent’s house this year. We can sit down as a real family for the first time.”
“I think I can talk Lisa and Layla into that.” He said patting John on the back.
“Wonderful, I know Van will be thrilled.”

“I truly am happy that you two found each other. I know I gave you a rough time at it for the past years but I was skeptical of my little girl becoming a wife and a mother. It’s not easy for any father to see their first born be it a girl or a boy grow up and move away, I hope you can understand my reservations.”
“I do, and I’ll understand them much better when Evangeline finally lets us have a baby of our own.”
“She stalling?”
“Not stalling, she just wants to be married first we both do actually.”
“Well find that ring John and you’ll get your family.”
“I hope so, I just hope she’ll say yes when all is said and done.”
“She will… from what Lisa has told me over the years she’s falling more and more in love with you by the day.”
“She’s my life Charles and I love her more and more every day.” He said grinning brightly.

“Well if you can make her as happy as she appears to make you, I know she’s in good hands.”
“I’m ecstatic, with the idea of becoming her husband and the father of her children.”
Charles lowered his head and laughed softly to himself, “Marriage isn’t all cake and ice cream.”
“I know it’s extremely hard work and with a daughter like yours Charles I look forward to the challenge.”
“Well welcome to the family son.” He said hugging him again.
“Not quiet yet but I’ll take it.” John said hugging him back.

~Thanksgiving dinner

The McBain house was full of family and friends. Thomas, Eve, Todd, Andrea, Pierce, Jackson, Felicity, Charles, Lisa, Layla, and John and Evangeline all crowded around the dining room table.

A feast of turkey, ham, yams, greens, green beans, corn, mashed potatoes, salad, and dinner rolls crowed the table. Every sat around the large wooden table that could seat at the most twenty four people. The conversation was lively the food abundant and the jokes comical by Todd.

As dinner died down John sat with his arm around Evangeline’s shoulder laughing at some story that Charles told of a freshman that thought the school called for a freshman prank and ended up locked outside of his final in nothing but his jock strap. Evangeline leaned over kissing John on the cheek, “What was that for?” He asked as she wiped away her lip stick.

“You being you and finally make peace with my father. I don’t know how you did it McBain but he likes you and he looks as though he’s having fun.”
“I can do anything and have anything I want as long as I put my mind to it.”
“Like you wanted me?”
“First time I laid eyes on you.” He whispered.

Evangeline snuggled close putting her hand on his leg under the table as Thomas rose at the head of the table, “I’d like to make a toast.” He said rising his water glass.
“To Evangeline Williamson and John McBain, our children, our friends and our siblings, the future and the ones that brought two families together healing them in more ways than they will ever realize.”
“Here here!” Everyone said as they clinked their glasses and sipped their beverage of choice.

“Now that, that is over. Why don’t we retire to the living room and have dessert in there.” Eve said over the soft chatter.
Everyone rose from the table and Charles nodded at John. He kissed Lisa on the cheek and she slipped something into his hand that he slipped into his pocket. Evangeline watched as John walked off with her father and her mother came up slipping her arm in hers, “He’ll be fine.” She said softly.
“I know, it’s just weird to see them mom.” She said staring after them.

“Your father finally saw the light when it comes to you and John. Something I saw four years ago at this time when you brought him home for Thanksgiving.”
“I’m so glad you came here.” Evangeline said hugging her mom tightly.
“I wouldn’t be any place else than with my daughter.” Lisa replied kissing Evangeline’s cheek. “So glad to have you fully back in our lives Cookie.”

Evangeline wiped her eyes from tears and smiled, “It’s good to be back momma.”
“Shall we?” Lisa asked following Evangeline into the living room.

~
John stepped out on the balcony with Charles and hugged his body. It was chilly outside as a cold November wind whipped past them. “Charles?” John asked coming up to him with is hand in his pocket trying to warn off the cold.

“I know it’s cold so I’ll make this quick.” He said pulling out a small box from his pocket, “I want you to have this.”
“What is it?”
“Take it and see.” Charles said setting it on the railing to the balcony.

John looked over at him with a raised eyebrow and opened the small velvet box, “It was my great grand mothers. Passed down through our family. Since I didn’t have any sisters my mother gave it to me in hopes that I would have daughters for one day to give to her.”
“It’s amazing… it’s it….” John said staring at the ring in the box.

The antique ring held a one carat diamond in the center flanked by two sapphire stones. It was set in white gold something very rare at the time but looked as new as the day someone bought it. “It’s magnificent, I can’t accept this.” John said closing the box and handing it back to Charles.
“You can and you will, you yourself just said it’s it. That is Evangeline in that ring. The funny thing is the inscription on the inside.”
John took the ring back and turned it over to look on the inside, “E.W. and J.M forever.” He mumbled.
“You had this done?”
“No, my great grandmother’s name was Joanna Marshall and she married an Evan Williamson, uncanny huh?” he asked looking over at John out the corner of his eye as he stared at the view from the McBain’s balcony.

“That ring is meant to be given from you to her John, there’s no doubt about that and it’s written on that inscription.”
John set the ring back into the box closed it and slipped it into his pocket, “Thank you Charles.”
“You’re very welcome. Make my daughter a happy women, I’m not scared to come after you if you destroy her in anyway.”
“Does that mean I have your blessing?”
Charles turned and extended his hand, “You do.” He said shaking it and pulling John into a hug. “You do.” He said choking back tears.

Pulling out of the fatherly embrace John smiled at Charles, “I hope you don’t have Christmas plans.”
“Not that I know of.”
“Good keep it that way, now that I have the ring I know that I’ll be proposing on Christmas Eve.”
“Wonderful, I look forward to hearing all about it afterwards.”

John smiled and chuckled to himself, “I’ll be in touch about the plans. What do you say we head back inside I’m sure they are worried about us.”
Charles followed John’s lead back into the house into the living room.

Taking their respective seats next to Lisa and Evangeline, Evangeline looked up at John with a curious smile, “What’s going on?”
“Nothing, what’s mom talking about?” He said trying to distract her.
“I have no clue I was worried about you so I didn’t pay too much attention to her.”
John laughed and stroked her hair, “Sounds like you, you want to get out of here?” he questioned snuggling her neck.
“I’d love that.” She said squeezing his thigh, “We can have our own private celebration at home.” She whispered as she rose from the couch and extended her and to him.

“Excuse us but we’re going to say our good byes and head home.” John said interrupting everyone.
“Oh no, so soon!” Eve said disappointed.
“Yeah Evangeline needs to get back and study.” John said lying.
“Yeah I have a test I need to do next week and need to study for it. I’m sorry guys.”
“It’s okay, it was wonderful to you see dear.” Eve said hugging her gently.

They walked around giving hugs and kisses to everyone in the family before leaving for the night. Sitting in the back of the cab Evangeline looked over at John, “Penny for your thoughts.” She said fingering his hair.
“It’s nothing really, just enjoyed having the family around that’s all.”
“You want to go back it’s not too late?” she asked.

John shook his head as he turned to look at her, “No, right now I just want to be alone with you.” He said softly resting his forehead against hers, “That okay?”
“Perfect.”
“Wonderful” He said before kissing her lips a few times.

“Your mom looks great John.”
“She does, dad does too I guess those three months upstate really helped them both out.”
“Yeah and their marriage she seems happy.”
“She is, we talked some while you were with your parents. She’s doing really good taking it one day at a time like they taught her. I’m really proud of her.” John said beaming.
“So am I. I want her to be around to see our kids graduate from college.”
“Hell I want to be around to see that. “ John chuckled.
“I’m not letting you go anywhere.” Evangeline said with a kiss.

~

“I’m glad you guys decided to stay the weekend.” Eve said as she and Lisa sat around by the fire place.
“So are Charles and I. It would have been hell trying to get back to Connecticut tonight anyways.” She said smiling at her. “I never got a chance to thank you for everything you did for Evangeline over the past few months.”
“I think of her as my daughter I would do anything for her.”

Lisa nodded as she sipped her coffee, “I felt so helpless all the way back at home, it’s like she didn’t want me around.”
“That’s not it, not at all. Johnny took excellent care of her. She didn’t want you to worry about her.”
“When I found out I wanted to jump on the first train here, but she made me promise to stay at home before she even told me what happened.”
“She’s a fighter and incredibly independent.”
“That’s my Cookie.” Lisa laughed.
“Well with Thomas’ help everyone involved in what they tried to do to all three of them are paying the consequences.”
“It’s good to have the last name McBain.”
“It is and soon Evangeline will have that last name, I’m so excited about her officially becoming apart of the family. Has John spoken to you about that?”
“I think he told Charles not to make any plans over Christmas.”
“Yes, and I know you have your passport.”
“Passport?” Lisa asked looking up at Eve confused.

Eve set her coffee cup down, “He didn’t tell you?”
“John, no… he didn’t tell us anything.”
“Well all he’s told us is that we’re going overseas for Christmas, he’s making all the arrangements, I don’t think Evangeline even knows.”
Lisa smiled and sipped her coffee, “He loves her so much.”
“And she him, it’s totally mutual there, their feelings are overwhelming at times. Thomas and I are envious of what they have.”
“They should be envious of what you two have. After all this time and so many ups and downs you two are still together.”
“We are and happier than ever.” Eve said nodding and smiling at Lisa.
~

“I gave John a ring.” Charles said smoking a cigar with Thomas in his office.
“You did? Did he take it?”
“Yes, he loved it. Said it’s what he’s been looking for. It was my great grandmother’s ring.”

“Wonderful.” Thomas said puffing on his cigar. “I’m glad you finally you came around Charles, I was starting to wonder about you.” Thomas joked.
“It was a hard battle but I’ve learned to love your son. He’s good for my daughter.”
“Evangeline’s perfect for John, they compliment each other so well. I’m in awe of them at times.”
“As am I. They just fit, it’s amazing really.” Charles said laughing.
“I once told Evangeline that even if John never got sent to Woodberry they would have found each other in some other way.”
Charles nodded in agreement, “I actually believe that. They’ve been through way to much not to be with each other.”

“Here’s to a happy life full with grandchildren and lots of love.” Thomas said holding up his brandy glass.
“I’ll toast to that,” Charles said clinking his brandy sifter with Thomas’ and sipping the cool liquid. “So they want kids?” Charles questioned.
“They can’t wait to have kids. Neither can Eve, she had a room decorated for the first born. I’ll show it to you later.”
Charles laughed and smiled over at Thomas. “I take it that was Eve’s doing?”
“Oh you know it.” Thomas said laughing. “So it’s the McBain’s and Williamson’s huh?”
“It seems like it. Welcome to the family Thomas.” Charles said hitting Thomas’ glass.
Epilogue~ Italian Dream by OLTLfantimes10
Evangeline walked out of their bathroom dressed and ready for her last final for the semester. Running her hand over her right finger she bit on the inside of her lower lip quickly scanning the bedroom for her ring. It was missing, she hadn’t seen it since yesterday afternoon when John ran her a bath to help her relax. She took it off putting it on the bed with her locket when he called telling her the water was ready, now it was missing.

She searched relentlessly last night while he was painting but still couldn’t find it and her heart was racing and her palms were sweating nervously. “Hey!” John said getting her attention.

Evangeline spun around her hair in her face and she pushed it away, “Hi.” She said smiling at him.
“Where were you?” He asked walking up to her.
“Huh?”
“I was calling your name from all the way in the kitchen, where you?” He asked staring at her curiously.
“Just thinking about my final that’s all… what did you want?” She said forcing a smile as her mind ran with ideas of where her ring was.

“I was wondering if you wanted to share a cab I have to go the administration building to get registered for a few classes next semester.” He said staring at her. Evangeline seemed very distracted and he noticed her wringing her hands, “Babe…” John said walking up to her and putting his hands on her shoulders.

Evangeline turned her head to look at him with a warm smile, “Have you heard anything I’ve said in the last five minutes.”
Nodding she broke free of his hold and walked over to her vanity to go through her jewelry boxes. That ring meant more to her than anything else and she had to find it. “Yeah, sure….” She said waving him off.

“Are you sure your okay babe?”
“Fine hun…did you make coffee?”
“Of course, yours is on the counter top cream two sugars, just like you like it.”
“Thanks…” She said walking past him into the kitchen.
John ran his hand through his hair and smirked as he followed after her.

“You ready?” she asked over her mug
“Yeah you?”
“Uh huh…” she said smiling as she grabbed her purse and cell phone.
“You’ll do fine babe, we spent all night going over that stuff that sounded like Greek to me.” He said laughing.
“I’m just a little nervous that’s all.” She said smiling at him.

John leaned over and kissed her on the lips pulling her into his chest, “You’ll do fine I know you will.”
Evangeline rested her hands on his chest, “Thank you for that I really needed it right now.” John patted her on the butt and smiled, “Ready?”
“Yeah let’s go!” she said blowing out a breath, “I can do this.” She said trying to distract herself from miss placing her ring.

~
Evangeline stepped out into the winter weather of New York City and pulled her ivory white trench coat around her body warding off the cold weather. She had her final in Bio Chemistry this morning and then pulled a shift at the clinic now she was heading back home to relax.

Pulling her hair from inside her coat she twisted it around and rested it against her shoulder as she pulled her book bag up against her shoulder. She waved at a few friends as she walked down the side walk heading to grab a cab. With her head down trying to keep the cold weather from overwhelming her she let out a deep sigh.

“You might want to look up when you walk.” Someone said to her.
Evangeline rose her eyes and froze in front of her, “John?” she said confused.
“Hi.”
“What are you doing here?”
“Picking you up.”

Evangeline shook her head as she stared at the stretch limo behind him. He was dressed in a black trench coat and a tuxedo, “What is going on?” she said softly walking up to him.
John bowed in front of her, “Your chariot awaits my dear.” He said as Jason held the limo door open with his hat up under his arm.
Evangeline looked around as passerby’s stared in their direction taking a look at the young man bowing in front of her standing next to an open limousine door. “John, what are you doing!” she shrieked.

John looked up at her as he continued to bow in front of her, “Are you going to get in the limo or let me stand her getting a cramp in my back?” he groaned.
“Oh I’m sorry!” she said putting her hand over her mouth and rushing to get into the car.

John sighed and winked at Jason as he got in the car himself and waited as Jason closed the door and then came around to get in the car himself. “Ready sir?”
“Yes, let’s go.”
“Where are we going?” Evangeline asked staring at him confused.

“I don’t know if you remember this but about four years ago I showed up on your doorstep at home and told you to come with me.”
“One of the best nights of my life!” she said beaming.
“Well we’re playing the same game again, no questions.”
“Damn it.” She said pouting and folding her arms over her chest, “What if I kiss you, will you tell me?”
“Nope.” He said chuckling.
“Oohhhh John McBain I’m going to get you for this!” she said cutting her eyes from him.

John laughed as he put his arm around her shoulder and kicked back in the limo with her at his side. They sat in silence listening to the radio as Jason drove them to their destination.

The car stopped and Evangeline reached for the door but John stopped her, “Turn around.”
“What? No…” she said staring at him with a frown.
“Do as your told, it makes it that much more fun for me.” He said turning her shoulders around.
Evangeline turned around and pouted as he pulled a blindfold from his inside coat pocket and put it around her eyes. “Whoa, wait a minute, I don’t let you do this in the bedroom what makes you think I’ll let you do it when we’re not making love!” she cried grabbing at the blind fold.

John laughed as he rested his head against her shoulder, “Put this on for me please, I’ve never steered you wrong, just trust me.” He whispered against her ear. Evangeline sighed as John put the blindfold on her eyes and tied it tightly. “Ready.” He asked turning her back around.
“I want to make my reservations known about this.”
“What are you thirty!” he said laughing, “Reservations? Why not just say you hate it.” He chuckled helping her out of the car.
“Fine, this sucks John… better.” She said with a sarcastic smirk on her face.
“That sounds more like you.” He said closing the limo door as he held onto her arm. “Now trust me, I would never steer you wrong.”
“Expect for that blow fish you made me try.”
“As I recall you begged for something else, I didn’t make you eat that.”
“Whatever…” She said pushing at his arm.
“Wanna know something funny.” He asked as they walked up to the plane.
“What?”
‘That night, you ate frogs legs.”
“Bull shit!” She snapped stopping in her tracks.

John said nothing and laughed as he grabbed her hand and pulled her along, “Okay there are some steps.”
“Where are we John?” she asked frustrated.
“Shhh…” he said rolling his eyes as he walked backwards up the stairs. “Concentrate okay, one more step.”
Evangeline sighed as she took the last step and moved across the carpeted floor, “I know where we are.” She said with a smart aleck smile.
“Liar.” John said leading her to a seat.
“No, really I know. We’re on the McBain jet.” She said giggling.

John stopped as he stared at her and pulled the blindfold from her eyes, “How’d you know?”
“The steps and tarmac, not to mention the sounds of the planes in the air McBain, you should have given me ear muffs too.”
“Well maybe but you don’t know where we are going so hush!” he said with a wink before taking his seat next to her.

John helped Evangeline buckle up as she relaxed in the plush leather seats, “Can I get a clue as to where we’re going?” She asked looking over at him.
John sat with his eyes closed and his head resting against the back of the seat, “Nope.” He said with a smile.
“Meanie!” she said pouting.
“You won’t be saying that in a few hours.”
“Hours?”
“Yeap.”
“Oh you are making me so mad McBain, I could spit!”
“There’s a cup over there and you’ll be kissing me and calling my name in no time so don’t go making too many nasty remarks to me.”

Evangeline snapped her head around from John and sat as the plane taxied down the run way and then took flight. She shifted and stared at John glaring at him. She hated when he played these little games. “I’m hungry.” She whined.
John opened his eyes and smiled, “You want me to feed you too, damn!” he joked. “What do you want to eat?”
“What did you get for us?” She said grinning at him.
John nodded in the back of the plane and Evangeline turned around to see a candle light lunch minus the lit candle sitting on the plane for them, “You didn’t.” she said her eyes tearing.

John stood up taking her hand and led her to the back of the plane, “Is there something you’d like to say to me.”
Evangeline lowered her head and blushed, “Sorry.” She mumbled.
“What, don’t think I heard that!” he said smiling at her.
“I’m sorry!” she said laughing.
“Apology accepted.” He said helping her into the seat behind the small table.

They feasted on a lunch of Tuscan chicken panni’s an Italian salad and sparkling apple cider. “What’s for dessert?” Evangeline asked wiping her mouth.
“Me.” John said with wide eyes.
“No seriously McBain, where’s the sugar…” she said laughing softly.

John moved around kneeling in front of her and kissed her lips, “I told you me.”
“Are we doing what I think we’re doing?” she asked as he pushed her down onto the couch of the plane.
“Care to get your mile high club card?” he asked smiling down at her as he pushed his jacket off.
“I’d thought you never ask.” Evangeline said untying his bow tie.

~

Evangeline lay across John’s chest sleeping as the plane flew across the Atlantic Ocean. He reached for the remote turning on the television and turning on the captions so he didn’t wake her. Watching Sports Zone he held her close as she slept peacefully against his chest.

After several more hours in the air Evangeline rolled over snuggling against John and opened her eyes as his hands caressed her hair and back, “We there yet?” she asked sleepily.
“Almost beautiful, you sleep okay?”
She moved onto his chest and kissed him, “Amazingly, but I always do in your arms.” She said smiling at him.
John pushed her hair from her face and smiled at her, “How did your test go?”
“Wonderful thanks to you. I know I did pretty well.”
“Great. I’m glad.”

Evangeline sat up pulling the blanket around her chest and pushed her hair from her eyes, “Do I have time to shower?”
John looked down at his watch and nodded, “You do.”
“Great.” Putting the blanket back on John she walked to the bathroom with John watching her. He smiled rubbing his face and then redressed in his tuxedo while she took a shower. Reaching for the phone to the cockpit he waited for the pilot to answer, “Yes sir what can I do for you?”
“Just making sure we’re on schedule.”
“We are, we’ll actually be early.”
“Great, thank you.”
“You are very welcome sir.”

John hung up the phone and turned the volume back up on the television. Evangeline came out in the short robe that was on the plane and grabbed her clothes before going back and getting dressed. She came back out and took the remote from John’s hands, “What else is on?”
“Princess Bride?” he asked flipping it there.
“Oh my favorite part!” she squealed.

~

The plane touched down and Evangeline tried to look out the windows to see where they were. John pulled out the blind fold and wrapped it around her eyes, “Oh come on baby, why can’t I see!” she pouted.

John pulled her from her seat and kissed her passionately, “Shh.” He whispered touching her face softly with the back of his hand. Evangeline melted into him her lips still parted aching for another kiss from him.

Another limo sat out on the tarmac waiting on them. He helped her into the car and Evangeline sat back with her arms folded over her chest. “Ready to see your surprise?”
“Yes!” she said exasperated.

John rolled down the window and then pulled off the blind fold. Sticking her head out of the window she looked around, “John….” She said putting her hand to her chest.
Evangeline turned around with tears in her eyes and smiled at him, “You like.”
“Venice John, really?” She said turning to look out the window.

John came up behind her and kissed her shoulder, “You said you wanted to go to Italy well here we are.” He said softly.
“But, I meant like in the summer…” She said touching her chest.
“Think of it as an early graduation present.”
Evangeline turned and threw her arms around his neck hugging him tightly as a few tears escaped her eyes, “I take it you like it?” he said rubbing her back.
“I love it, I love you.” She said pulling back kissing him and then hugging him again. “I love it.”
“There’s more baby.”
“More, what! You’re kidding right.”

John pulled back wiping at her eyes and smiled, “Nope, this is just the first leg of our journey. We’ve got a few more places to head to ending in Rome for Christmas, if that’s okay with you.”
“Christmas in Italy! I love it” She squealed.

The limo stopped and the driver put the car into park. Coming around he opened the door and John stepped out reaching for Evangeline’s hand, “Grazie.” He said nodding to the driver. Evangeline slid up under John’s’ arms as he held her close and they walked around St. Marco square.

“Can I ask you something?” He asked as they stopped in the middle of the square.
“Sure…” Evangeline said distracted as she looked around at all of the people passing by smiling and holding hands, the children chasing after the pigeons in their small coats and gloves.
John turned her head to look into his eyes and she frowned, “What is it?” she asked staring at him.
He raised up her right hand and smiled, “Your ring where is it?”
Evangeline pulled her hand from his hand and wiped her hand on her coat, “I… I…um…”

John laughed as he pulled it out of his pocket, “I think you’ve been looking for this.”
Evangeline grabbed the ring and held it tightly in her hands, “Oh my god where did you find it!” she said slipping it back on.
“I took it.”
“What, why?”
John took her hand taking the ring off of it and turning it around, “Look.”
Evangeline turned the ring around and looked on the inside, “I had an inscription put in because it didn’t have one.”
“My love for you is never ending.” She said softly reading it.

She looked up at him and smiled as she held the ring tightly in her hands. “It’s true.” He said taking the ring and sliding it back on to her finger.
Evangeline bit her lower lip holding back tears as he brought her hand to his lips. “I love this woman.” He said softly caressing her face with his other hand. “I love this woman.” He said louder.

Evangeline laughed as he smiled at her and said it again even louder. John pulled his hands free and stretched his arms out and tilted his head back, “I LOVE THIS WOMAN!” He screamed at the top of his lungs scaring pigeons and causing everyone in the square to stare at him in awe and confusion. “John!” Evangeline said pulling at him.

He looked down at her and pulled her into his chest, “I love this woman.” He mumbled kissing her lips as he dipped her. As he pulled her back up Evangeline sighed and ran her hands through his hair, “My, my, my Mr. McBain.” She said fanning herself. “I think I might just swoon.” She giggled in her best southern accent.
“I guess being in this country has turned me into a sweeping romantic.”
“I love this side of you, but you’ve always been a romantic and you know it.”
“True…” he said taking her hand as they walked around the square admiring the buildings and the people. “I love this.” She said snuggling close to him.

“Good, I’m glad, I’ve been planning this for a long time. I was afraid you would be mad.”
“Mad about coming to Italy?” she asked as they stopped to get a cappuccino. “You don’t know me obviously.”
John kissed the inside of her neck as they stood swaying back and forth drinking their cappuccinos, “I know you better than you think. I knew you wanted to come in the summer I thought you would be mad that we came here now.”
“We can always come back.” She said looking at him over her shoulder.
“You have a point. It’s getting cold what do you say we head back to the car and to the hotel?”
“Sounds good as long as I’m in your arms.”

They spent the next week touring Venice going through the canals and seeing what makes Venice, Venice. Their next stop was to Florence, Evangeline’s favorite. Walking through the Piazza with John near her side she stopped to sit at a fountain watching the people. “I’m going to go get something to drink do you want anything?” John asked looking down at her.

Evangeline shook her head as she held he coat closed and smiled at him, “I’m good thank you.”
He winked as he dashed off across the street to the small café.

Evangeline sat admiring the simplicity of Italy and its people. She was having the absolute best time here with him and in this country. She could see how people could come here and never want to leave. “Ciao…” A little girl said coming up to her.

Evangeline smiled at the little girl with brown curly hair and blonde streaks through it. Her blue eyes were striking and she was stunned at how gorgeous she was. She was dressed in a purple pea coat with gloves to match. Her paten leather shoes were shiny and her white stockings made her look like a little princess. “Per voi.” She said holding out a small flower.

“Me?” Evangeline asked taking the blue rose from her hands.
The little girl nodded and rocked back and forth as Evangeline held the rose to her nose. “Grazi.” Evangeline said smiling at her.

“Eve, La lucciola viene qui!” her father called after her.
Evangeline smiled at the little girls name and watched as she ran into her father’s arms. He scooped her up in his arms and Evangeline smiled as John came walking back over with his coffee. “Where did you get that?” He asked nodding at the blue rose in her hands.
“The little girl.” She said pointing to her as she danced around with her father.
“She gave you that?”
“Yeah and then her dad called her over I think that’s what he said. Something about a lucciola?” she said shaking her head, “What’s that?”
“A firefly.” He said laughing.

Evangeline smiled as she watched the father daughter moment and the little girls squeals floated through the air. She rested against John’s shoulder laughing as the man let her down and she went running around his legs, “You’ll never guess what her name is.”
“What’s that?”
“Eve….” She said softly.
John chuckled as he sipped his coffee, “She’s beautiful isn’t she.” Evangeline said smiling at the little girl.
“Adorable, and to think we’ll have one of those soon.” He said kissing her temple.
Evangeline reached over taking his free hand and placing it on her stomach, “I can’t wait John.”
“Me either.” He said kissing her again and watching the father and daughter moment.

They both smiled as the little girl and her father passed them and she waved at them and giggled. Evangeline waved back and smiled at the little girl as she turned and kissed her daddy on the cheek.
~

“What’s our next stop!” Evangeline said anxiously as she finished packing her stuff.
“Roma…” John said with a wink.
“Ohh Johnny I’m so excited!” she said jumping up and down, “Can you believe Christmas is in two days?”
“How about I give you one of your presents early?” John said as he pulled a box from his luggage.

Evangeline jumped up and down and held her hands out waving them for John to put the present in her hands, “I love presents.” She said hopping up on the bed and sitting down, “What is it?”

John laughed at her enthusiasm and motioned for her to open the present, “Open it and found out.”

Evangeline let her hands move over the metallic green paper with a red and white stripped ribbon. She pulled it free and tore into the paper. Pulling out all the tissue paper John laughed as he sat next to her and watched her eyes narrow in confusion, “What is it?” she said pulling out the silver Christmas tree ornament.
John took it from her and smiled, “What do I always say I want to give you?”
“The moon and stars…” She mumbled turning around looking at the ornament that sparkled from the lights in the hotel room.
“Well…” he said holding it up so she could get a better look.

Evangeline leaned in and ran her hand over the ornament, “Evangeline McBain, 0145834416 28 59’16.” She said softly. “I don’t understand…”
John smiled and handed her another box, “Here this might help.”
Evangeline opened the box and read the framed certificate to herself, “You named a star after me?” she asked looking over at him as tears ran down her cheeks.
“What you don’t like it?” he asked nervously.
“You named a star after me John!” she said still stunned, “I have my own star?”

“Yes…” he asked still not quiet understanding her reaction.
“You actually gave me a star.” She said balling now.
“I take it that is a good thing?” he said staring at her.
Evangeline nodded her head quickly as she set everything behind her and wrapped her arms around his neck kissing him fully on the lips. Pulling back and resting her forehead against his John ran his hand over her face and wiped away her tears, “Even happy tears shouldn’t stain your face.” He said softly wiping the tears away.

Evangeline laughed softly as she helped wipe them away, “I also have plans to get one for ever little baby we bring into this world.”
“You are too much John McBain!”
“The moon and the stars for you!” he said kissing her. His tongue slipped slowly into her mouth and uncurled and moved slowly through it, tasting every inch of her. Running his hands through her hair he pushed her back down to the bed. Breaking the kiss he cupped her face and smiled, “You like your present?”
She traced his lips with her fingers and smiled at him, “You named a star after me John, how could I not love it!”
“Good…” He lowered his head back down to hers and kissed her again. Evangeline ran her hands up his back and back down as he pushed her knees apart coming between them and moaning through the kiss. “Make love to me John.” She panted as he suckled against her neck.


~ Christmas Eve

Evangeline took a deep breath as she stepped out of the bathroom wearing the dress John had picked out for her. “You really think I should wear this, it’s like five degrees out side.” She said sliding her hands up and down her bare arms.

John turned around and nearly fell on his ass at the sight of her. He put his hand to his chest as she floated over to him. “You look…” He stuttered, “You look mind-blowingly beautiful.” He mumbled staring at her.

Evangeline stood in a forth length dark turquoise dress. The spaghetti strap dress was made of silk charmeuse. The bottom was longer in the back than it was in the front. The dress had thin raised stripes of the same color that crossed along the front of the dress. She spun around causing her hair to fly around her face and neck. “You don’t look half bad yourself.” She said walking up to John and straightening his tie that was the same color as her dress.

“You think I look okay?” he asked nervously as he ran his hand through his hair that was slicked back from his eyes and face. “What’s with you, it’s just dinner John.” She said walking away from him.

John laughed softly as he reached into his pocket and squeezed the ring box making sure it was still there. “Yeah just dinner.”
“Where are we going any way?”
“Some place special, you ready?”
“Yes ready.” She said picking up her white cashmere cape with a hood that was lined with faux fur. She wrapped it around her shoulders and tied the bow and pulled the hood up over her head slipping her hands into the faux fur muff. John slipped on his cashmere coat and gloves and ushered her out of the bedroom.

Sitting in the limo Evangeline looked out the window as they drove the streets of Rome wondering where they were going for dinner. “We’ve been this way before, there aren’t any restaurants around here.” She said looking back over at him confused.
“Never said we were going to a restaurant did I?” he said with a smirk on his face.

The limo stopped in a small parking lot and John helped Evangeline out of the car. “We just have a little walk okay?”
She looked around and frowned. There was barely anyone out and she knew they were close to the Trevi Fountain. They were here yesterday and threw coins into the fountain to guarantee another return.
Stopping at the closed gate Evangeline pulled John back, “It’s closed.” She said looking at the sign.
“To the public yes, to us no.” He said kissing her quickly and pushing the gate open.

John walked her into the area of the fountain and a huge tent sat in front of the fountain. “What did you do…” She mumbled lagging behind him.
“Come on and find out.” John said pulling her along.

Evangeline looked around the fountain was lit up with greens and reds for Christmas like it was last night when they were here. A red carpet lined with white and red rose petals lined their way up to the tent. The tent curtains seemed to magically open up as they walked up to it. The cobblestone ground was covered with a removable hardwood floor and red and white rose petals were scattered on the ground. In the middle of the floor sat a round table with a five candle candelabra. The flames flickered in the cold wind as John led her into the tent.

The room he had set up had heaters in all four corners warming the outside to a comfortable temperature. He helped her with her cape handing it to the waiter and then pulled out her seat. “John, what on earth have you done?” She said looking around and watched as the other side of the tent pulled back to give them a view of the fountain.

Her eyes brimmed with tears as she took in everything he had set up. There were speakers sitting behind him that played soft classical she assumed Italian music that seem to appear from no where. She was in her own little dream world, her Italian Dream.
“Are you hungry?” John asked getting her attention.
“Oh yes, thank you.” She said still in awe of everything he had done for them.

John waved the waiter over and he came with two domed plates, “I promise no blow fish or frogs legs.” He said laughing.
“Thank the lord.”
The waiter set their plates down and then pulled the silver domes from them. They dined on a meal of lobster ravioli with a fresh cream sauce garnished with asparagus and mushrooms. The garlic bread set on the table with steam rising from it floating into her nose. For drinks they enjoyed sparkling apple cider.

As dinner ended they were supplied with a plate of tiramisu to share. John scooted over to sit next to her and fed her forkful after forkful of the delectable dessert. She sighed and moaned after each bit and John found it incredibly erotic. Watching her tongue move slowly in and out of her mouth licking her bottom lip he leaned in to taste what she tasted. Her mouth parted instinctively to receive his kiss as he dropped the fork and cupped her face gently running his hands through her hair. She moaned as her eyes fluttered closed and he pulled her close tasting the tiramisu on her lips and tongue.

“It does taste good.” He said softly pulling back.
Her eyes opened slowly as John wiped the lipstick from his lips and smiled at her. Evangeline blushed as she wiped the corner of her lips and lowered her head. John nodded to the waiter and the music changed to their song.

“May I have this dance.” He said standing from the table and extending his hand to her.
Evangeline blushed again and placed her hand into his as she rose from the table. John slipped his arm around her waist holding her close as he held her other hand that rested against his shoulder.

John led her gracefully around the dance floor as Unchained Melody filled the air. She closed her eyes resting her forehead against his as he spun her around the extra room on the floor. As the song ended John stopped dancing and took both of Evangeline’s hands and led her outside to the fountain.

He sat her down on the edge of it and Evangeline tucked her hair behind her ears as she watched John sit down next to her. He dug into his pocket holding the ring tightly in his left hand as he held both of her hands in his right hand.

“I don’t even know where to begin.” He said clearing his throat as his eyes watered with tears. “For the longest time I was lost, alone and afraid that I would become a man that would never find love. I went from school to school trying to find myself and what I wanted out of life. Then you flew into my life.” He said softly

Evangeline reached up and caressed his face as he tried to get his words together. “I fell in love and became the man that I longed to be because of you. You brought hope, love, and passion into my life. I worked hard to attain my dreams because of everything you did for me. I want nothing more than to love you for the rest of my life and be able to show you that love, what I’m trying to say…” he said rising from the edge of the fountain and kneeling in front of her.

Evangeline gasped as he pulled the ring from his pocket and held it out in front of him, “Evangeline Katarina Williamson will you do me the honor and privilege of sharing your life, love, passion, dreams, and hopes with me. Will you marry me?”

Her head nodded quickly as her words stuck in her throat and her left hand trembled as he slipped the ring on to her finger. “I take that as a yes?” John asked as he looked up at her as tears streamed down her face, “That’s a yes.” She said softly and he leaned in and kissed her softly.

Hearing applause and cheering Evangeline pulled out of the kiss and looked over John’s shoulder to see her mom, dad, Layla, Eve, Thomas, Todd and Andrea appear from no where. She looked at John and then back at everyone she considered family and back at John again, “They needed to be here and share in this as well, I hope you don’t mind.” He said softly rising from the ground.

Evangeline shook her head no and ran to her family and friends who all hugged her tightly as they cried themselves. John walked over to them blowing out a sigh of relieve that she said yes and they were finally on their way to becoming husband and wife.

Standing outside near the fountain Thomas nodded his head towards the waiter and then they all heard a loud BANG and POP. Looking up in the sky over them it filled with fireworks. Evangeline turned to John who had a half smile and walked into his arms, “You did this?”
He ran his hand over her face, “You like?”
“McBain you’re way too much you know this right?”
“Ahh nah, I’m just showering you with all the love and adoration that you give me each day we share together.” He said turning her around so that they could enjoy the fireworks together.

“Damn McBain you got a cousin or something!” Layla yelled over the sound of the fireworks.
“Layla be nice!” Evangeline snapped.
“Seriously Van are you looking at this. The man has fireworks for you!” She said laughing softly.
John kissed the inside of her neck and smiled over at Layla, “You’re just jealous Lay.”
“Hell yeah I am, I want a man to do all of this for me.” She pouted. “Fly me to Italy close down a National Monument and then propose to me. It’s so out of a fairy book.”

Evangeline turned in John’s arms and touched his face gently letting her fingers graze over his lips. “What on earth did I do?”
“Gave me a chance, I told you we would be good together.”
“Fantastic. You are fantastic.” She said softly.

As the fireworks died down Evangeline walked over to her father and smiled as he smiled proudly back at her. Charles pulled Evangeline into fatherly hug and then looked at her ring, “Can I show you something?” he asked softly.
“Yes.” Evangeline said smiling at her father and wiping her eyes.
Charles pulled the ring off her hand and turned it around for her to read the inscription. Reading it softly she looked over at John who was laughing and joking with Todd and Andrea, “How did you know that was there.” She said slipping the ring back on.
“It’s your great grandmother’s ring.”
“But our initials are in there.”
“Actually they are your great grandmother’s and grand father’s initial’s; Joanna Marshall and Evan Williamson.”

“It’s like it was…”
“Fate.” Her dad said with a wink and a kiss, “Congratulations Cookie, I’m very happy for you.”
“Thank you daddy, that means the world to me that you approve.”
“Well John has grown on me and he definitely doesn’t take no for an answer.”
“Thank you for allowing him to give me this ring.” She said holding her hand to her heart.
Charles kissed her on her forehead, “You are very welcome dear. When I saw the inscription I knew you two were meant to be.”

Everyone congratulated the newly engaged couple and they spent the rest of the night and laughing, joking and talking. Evangeline told them of their Italian adventure and how many cities and places they’ve been over the past three and a half weeks.

“Were you surprised?” Andrea asked as she Layla and Evangeline danced on the dance floor.
Evangeline giggled and spun around, “I had no idea. I thought he was still looking for a ring.”
“Let me see that!” Andrea said reaching for her hand as they continued to dance to the techno Italian music.

“My god Van it’s amazing.” Layla said very giddy. She winked at her sister.
“He’s amazing.” She said looking over at him and winking.
John smiled back at her as Todd tried to tell some story about their plane ride over there. John stood up walking away and moved over to Evangeline, Layla and Andrea who danced around the floor. Putting his arms around her from behind John kissed her neck, “Want to go and really celebrate?” He asked rubbing her hips as he pressed himself into her.

“What about our family?”
“We’ll see them tomorrow for Christmas, tonight I want to spend the night with my fiancé.”
“Oh I love the sound of that.” She said spinning around in his arms and putting her arms around his neck before kissing his lips. “I’ll get our coats.”
Evangeline nodded as he pulled from her embrace. They quickly said their goodbyes to their disappointed family and friends. They promised to meet them in Thomas and Eve’s suite for a family breakfast first thing Christmas morning.

~
Evangeline looked over at John as they walked down the hallway back to their hotel room and smiled as he pulled out his key and opening the door. She let her cape fall to the ground and John shed his coat dropping it near hers. Turning around and walking backwards to the bed Evangeline pulled down the straps to her dress but held the dress up over her chest as John pulled off his jacket and loosened his tie.

Letting the dress slip down her body she stood naked accept for her high heels in front of him. His mouth fell open realizing that the entire night she had nothing on under the dress. Quickly shedding his clothes he stood in front of her in nothing but his boxer briefs and watched her move back to the bed and crawl up on it falling down on it her hair falling around the pillows.

John rubbed his face as he watched her lay on the bed licking her bottom lip and letting her hands roam and caress her breast and stomach. He crawled up next to her and rested his head next to hers, “You are magnificent.” He said gently caressing her body with his hands, taking in the feel of her skin the softness of her flesh, eliciting soft moans from her lips.

He rolled on top of her sliding his tongue along her collar bone around her neck and down over her breasts. His tongue flicked at her taught nipples as her body squirmed beneath him. His hand dipped low cupping her center and sliding a finger into her as he sucked on her breast enjoying the taste of her.

Evangeline ran her hands through his hair as he manipulated her body causing her to whimper and moan his name. Her breathless sounds of his name from her lips caused his body to respond in exciting and mind numbing ways. Coming between her legs John removed his hand and slid slowly into her taking long deep thrusts as her legs wrapped around his waist pushing him deeper into her body, craving what only he knew how to give.

Her back arched and John let his fingers travel down her throat and back up again as he slipped his fingers into her open mouth. He continued his deep slow thrusts taking his time to watch her body turn to jelly in his arms. Holding her close Evangeline let her head fall against the pillows as he pulled her up by the hips and continued to work her body in a slow meticulous fashion.

She panted his name desperate for release as he picked up the pace slightly bringing them both close to orgasm. Burying his face into the valley of her breasts he kissed them over and over again as she clawed at his back, her walls vibrating and clamping down around his member trying to bring him to release. “Oh god…” she cried as her body bucked underneath his her moaning increasing as she rocked back and forth meeting his hips thrust for thrust.

The slow up and down movement was something new to them both. Normally their love making was fast demanding with a rush as they both climaxed together. Tonight was completely different. Her body rose and fell with his thrusts her mind pounding as he slid in and out of her with deep soul penetrating thrusts. Grabbing her hand John held it tightly as she cried his name and slid up and down the bed with his continued demands he put on her body.

He let her body glide over the 1000 thread count sheets as he held onto her never wanting it to end. Her bottom lip quivered as her eyes rolled back in her head and John grunted into her ear as he squeezed her butt holding back his orgasm till the very end.

She panted as he slowly began his descent releasing them both and sharing in a slowly climatic orgasm. He shuttered as he felt his seed escape from him and flood her body. John slid out of her exhausted from the slow demands he gave into never wanting to release her. Evangeline rolled over resting her head on his chest as she wrapped her leg around his waist and snuggled against him.

“Are you enjoying the trip so far?”
“It’s been a dream, an Italian dream.” She said as he stroked her hair and back.
“It only gets better from here.”
“You promise?” she asked stroking his chest and kissing it softly.
“I promise you that and so much more.” John said softly holding her close and raising her chin up to kiss him. “I love you McBain.”
“I love you the future Mrs. McBain.” He said softly.
“You want to open your present now?” Evangeline asked pulling from him.

“Oh can I!” John asked excited.
“Most def babe!” she said climbing out of his embrace and out of the bed. John sat up on the pillows propping them up behind him. Evangeline pulled her robe from the foot of the bed and pulled it on as she dug in her suitcase. She had Todd ship over the present once they ended up in Rome and she knew where they were staying.

Holding the present in her hands Evangeline tossed it onto the bed and climbed back up to him. She passed him the present wrapped in candy cane style wrapping paper and smiled as his face lit up. “I like the paper.”
“I hope you like what’s under the paper.” She said giggling. “Well go ahead open it!” She said hitting his arm.

John smiled as he tucked his hair behind his ears and tore into the wrapping paper. “What did you do?” He asked staring down at the framed magazines. Evangeline leaned over tucking her hair behind her ears and pulled another magazine from the bottom of the box. “Here.” She said passing it to him.

“How…” he mumbled staring at his name on the cover of Art in America “How did you do this?” he asked stunned smiling at her.
“Here read.” Evangeline passed him an unframed copy of the magazine.

It was an issue of Art in America that she and Todd had written an article on him and gotten published. It was a mini biography about his art career and their life together and a write up on his latest show and what to expect from him in the future.

“I can’t believe you did this for me. This is amazing Evangeline!” he said turning and kissing her on the lips. “So you wrote this?”
“Part of it, and Todd wrote some of it and then of course the critic wrote the stuff about the art with no input from Todd or I. They actually wrote that part first and then called us about a biography.”
“They called you?”
“No they called the apartment looking for you and told me what they were doing and I thought it would be a great Christmas present so they let me write a little something something.” She said laughing softly.

John set the framed article down and put it on the ground next to the bed. Turning to her he pulled her to his chest and kissed the top of her head, “That is amazing Evangeline and one of the best presents I’ve ever gotten.”
“You’re not mad?”
“Nope, I’m flabbergasted.” He laughed, “And I feel loved from both you and Todd for doing that for me. It really means a lot, never thought they would do a feature on me or my art work.”
“According to that magazine you are the next up and coming artist of the east coast. My man! I’m so proud of you Johnny.” She said snuggling up against him.

John held her close, closing his eyes to fall asleep in his favorite position, wrapped in her arms. Evangeline closed her eyes as she felt his arm rubbing hers, soothing away any left over fears she may have had from their ordeal this summer. They were back together where they belong. The fought through good and bad to get to this point, and proved to each other and the world that no one would come between what they had build and fought to hold on to.
This story archived at http://thehookupzone.net/JoVan/viewstory.php?sid=2304