Login

Dr. Elizabeth Smalls by a striking mind



Chapter One – The New Girl

I took a deep breath. They weren’t going to kill me. JJ was so sure of that but then again she was sure of everything. She was sure I wasn’t too young to be a consultant for the FBI. She was sure they would all like me. She was sure I wouldn’t make a fool of myself. She had been sure since I had known her in college, at Penn State. We had met my first year there. She shared a dorm with me and although she was much older then I, we had become friends.

“Beth,” she would say to me, “in college know one cares about age. They care about what you can do.”

I felt somewhat comforted about her confidence. But yet again that was JJ, always confident about everything. I was about to be a consultant for the Behavioral Science Unit at Quantico with their best team; Special Agent Aaron Hotchner, the unbelievable Jason Gideon, Derek Morgan the sarcastic man, Penelope Garcia a computer genius, the newbie Emily Prentiss, and of course the amazing Dr. Spencer Reid. But now I was going to be the new one on the force and I was scared silly.

Even though I was only twenty-three I already had my PhD in English. But I was still stuck in college at William and Mary (I had transferred there after I obtained my PhD). And I had to still complete my other education. Because even though I was amazing at English I could barely pass my Science courses.

JJ thought it would look good on my resume if I helped the FBI with my expertise. How I was going to help them with this next case I didn’t know. I mean they had Dr. Reid, the one who knew everything humanely possible!

I was wearing a white trumpet skirt with a baby blue top, jean jacket, and white peep-toe shoes. My blonde hair was pulled back into a half ponytail, which was held in place with a blue bow. I had a khaki saddlebag with all my things I thought were necessary. JJ was wearing her typical black pants and button down shirt. Her hair was down and in her face. She looked uncomfortable though. If she could get away with it she would have worn sneakers and sweatpants.

“Jen,” I said taking my bag and fixing it to my shoulder, “do you really think this is necessary? Do I really need to do this?” I was whining but I didn’t care.

I followed her down the lobby to one of the back doors of the BSU building. She looked down at me and smiled.

“Yes, and it’ll be fun! You’ll really like everyone once you meet them.”

“Jenny, please! It’s still not too late. Take me back to my apartment and…”

“Too, late. They’ve already seen you,” she said gesturing towards the glass doors. Of course she had made them see me. Now I had no choice.

“If I burst into tears the first time I mess up I blame you,” I muttered under my breath and she laughed as she opened the door for me.

They were all there, all six of them. Penelope and Morgan were laughing loudly; she was sitting on a chair and he on the desk in front of her. Their knees were almost touching. Hotchner was standing next to Gideon both of them watching me as I walked in. Emily sat on the desk next to Dr. Reid who was leaning awkwardly on the counter. He was flipping through a book, reading it.

He looked up and he still looked the same from the last time I saw him. Same hair cut, same glasses, same clothes, same awkwardness. He was still the Spencer I knew from childhood. He was still that twelve-year-old who I had known for only a brief amount of time. I felt myself blush but JJ didn’t seem to notice as she did introductions.

“Everyone,” she said showcasing me like Vanna White, “this is Dr. Elizabeth Smalls. She’s going to be helping us on our next case.” Everyone stood up to greet me. “This is Special Agent Aaron Hotchner,” she said nodding to him.

He reached out, shook my hand and said, “Pleasure to meet you Dr. Smalls.” He didn’t seem too pleased. His eyes were hard and he looked angry with me.

“You too Agent Hotchner,” I smiled at him.

Emily came over and gave a my a warm shake, “I’m Special Agent Emily Prentiss. It is nice to finally meet you Dr. Smalls.”

Before I could say anything Morgan immediately overtook her. His hand was in mine and he was shaking it with enthusiasm. “I’m Special Agent Derek Morgan, but just call me Morgan. Wow!” he exclaimed taking a step back, “you’re last name really does fit you. Did you plan that?”

I smiled and said, “Yes.” I am only 5ft 4in so everyone here towered over me. JJ is the next smallest and she is three inches taller than myself.

“Hi,” I heard a voice ring out from behind Morgan. “I’m Penelope Garcia, the computer geek and resident oracle of the BAU.” She stepped out from behind Morgan and shook my hand. “You don’t see much of me but you hear a lot from me.”

“Well I am glad I saw you once so I can remember who you are,” I said smiling.

“I do have a habit of slipping from people’s minds,” her voice trailed off and she glared at Morgan. He looked sheepishly at her.

“Special Agent Jason Gideon,” JJ said taking back control of the introductions.

Gideon shook my hand and said, “Hello Dr. Smalls. You’re paper comparing the Bronte sister’s work is quite extraordinary.”

“Thank you,” I said happily. This was a subject I knew a lot about. For my thesis paper I had written about the Bronte sister’s of European literature. “It is one of my favorite pieces that I wrote. I’m quite proud of it. I’ve always been interested in the group dynamic of author’s who live in close proximity to one another. How their personal relationships influence the characters and lives that they write about.”

He seemed quite pleased with my answer. “It is how writers interpret the world around them that make them different. You have done well yourself in that regard.”

I flushed and said, “I see you’ve been reading some of my novellas. Quite silly aren’t they?”

I had published my first book at age sixteen. I had written about fifteen so far. They were all teenage love stories. They were all my fantasies played out on paper.

“No, no not really. You managed to tackle an important issue every novel you wrote about; from race, to poverty, to religion, to death, to war. You covered everything that we feel prejudiced about. Quite extraordinary really.”

“Oh, well thank you very much,” said a little flabbergasted. Anyone with any common sense would not read those novels but he had. I had a feeling it was his way of getting inside my head. It was Gideon’s way of profiling me.

“And this is Special Agent Dr. Spencer Reid,” JJ said as soon as our conversation ended.

He put down the book he had been reading and I caught the title. Last Impression: The Story of Abigail Carroll Grant by Elizabeth Smalls. I could feel the color drain from my cheeks. It was my first novel the one I had written at age sixteen. It was about a girl who married a serial killer and began piecing together the evidence over two years of marriage. That book was the one I was the least proud of and Spencer was reading it.

Spencer smiled and did his little wave. I knew he wouldn’t take my hand so I held mine back.

“Nice to meet you Dr. Reid,” I said smiling back.

He didn’t say anything just smiled. I wasn’t expecting him to and I was glad. He didn’t mention the book so I kept silent. And he didn’t mention our earlier acquaintance, which gave me some relief. I didn’t want to deal with that right now.

Addressing everyone I said, “Please, call me Beth everyone does. If you call me Dr. Smalls I’ll think you’re talking to some old man.” I was trying to sound authoritative and it worked. I had never heard my ‘proper’ name used so many times before in my life. It was making me feel nauseated.

“Now, will someone please tell me what case we are working on and why you had to call in me,” I said holding onto my saddlebag tightly. “Jen wouldn’t tell me anything.”

Hotchner said, “I think its better we show you.” We all moved in one big group following Hotchner down the hallway to a room on the right. “You still sure you want to do this?” he asked at we all paused at the door. He looked like he wanted me to say no.

I swallowed and looked at them all. How could they be counting on me? They were the best of the best. All of them were brilliant and smart. What case was so important that they needed me? I was unsure and insecure and young. It was driving me crazy! If I had been nervous before it was nothing compared to this.

I gathered myself together, looked directly at Hotchner and said, “Yes.”