Menu
RSS

Site Info
Members: 497
Series: 0
Stories: 263
Chapters: 2316
Word count: 5758652
Authors: 46
Reviews: 2241
Reviewers: 42
Newest Member: james83
 

Guests: 2
Members:

JoVan Videos


Chit-Chat
Boykin
08/24/23 02:31 pm
<a treatment/">Skin Whitening Injections</a> om/]thanks for this blog[/url]
AdmjPonia
07/14/22 05:15 pm
viagra 40 mg <a com/ ">sildenafil citrate australia</a> https://xtyviagrix.com/
WrrChaps
06/19/22 07:40 pm
comparison and contrast essay on the great gatsby <a ersion.com/ ">essay on rainwater harvesting in hindi language</a> .com/



[Reviews - 10] Printer Chapter or Story

ePub eBook Chapter or Story


This Has been viewed 1524 times



Click here to darken the background



The Buchanan charity auction was the biggest event in Llanview, Pennsylvania. The most prominent people, not only in Llanview, but all along the east coast, filled the grand ballroom of the Palace Hotel dressed in their finest. The men wore tuxedos by various designers and the women wore amazingly beautiful gowns of different styles and colors; their bodies decorated with precious stones, some sparkled, some shined. Each piece was a work of art.

The ballroom itself was a spectacular work of art in its own right. It boasted a high ceiling that held large, crystal chandeliers. The walls were a throw back to roman architecture with long white columns that stretched from floor to ceiling. The staircase was wide, with a marble banister on each side. The stairs were covered with a dark rich carpet that flowed outward across the floor. Large, wide-paned windows allowed for a view of the rear terrace, which could be accessed through equally wide glass doors. Outside was a garden with a stone pathway.

It was very much like its name…a palace. Which wasn’t surprising since it had been said by many that the Buchanan family though of themselves as royalty.

He watched as each person or couple made their way down the staircase and into the ballroom. Among them, politicians, businessmen and women, actors, models, etc. They were all in attendance. It was quite a turn out. Surprisingly, he had not to seen a member of the Buchanan family arrive. He supposed they planned it this way; that they wanted to make some sort of statement by arriving “fashionably late” to their own event. Then again, it was still early yet. With a shrug, he turned his attention elsewhere.

Soft music mixed with conversation created a relaxed atmosphere. Waiter and waitresses made their way around the room carrying trays of wine, champagne and hors d’oeuvres. As one passed by, he snagged a glass. It was then that he noticed the petite blonde smiling at him from across the room. She raised her glass to him. He offered her a smile in return and raised his glass to salute her just as a movement at the top of the stairs caught his eye. He turned his head and the glass almost sipped from his hand. It couldn’t be…

*****
“I told you we were late”. Evangeline stood at the top of the stairs looking out over the crowd below. Anyone looking at her would see a composed, sophisticated woman. But the truth was, she was a bundle of nerves. This was her first big event for Buchanan Enterprises. She’d only been working as their Public Relations specialist for less than a year and did not want to let them down.

“We’re not late, relax”. Kevin held out his arm to her. “Trust me”.

Reluctantly, she slid her arm through his. Kevin smiled at her. “We’re just making a statement”.

Unable to help herself, she smiled back. “A statement, huh?”

“Yes, you know us Buchanans, we like making statements”.

Evangeline laughed softly, relaxing considerably. “Yes, but I’m not a Buchanan”.

Kevin just smiled wider at that then leaned in and whispered in her ear. “By the way, did I tell you how beautiful you look tonight?”

“Yes.”

And she did. The black and white gown she wore, showed off her slender yet curvy figure. The smooth brown skin of her neck and shoulders was bare. The bottom of the dress had a slit that stopped at the knee and when she walked, anyone watching got a tastefully appreciative look at her long legs. As they descended the stairs, the light from the chandeliers danced across the dress causing it the shimmer. Her hair was pulled back into some fancy little bun. The diamond studs in her ears matched the single diamond necklace she wore.

Everyone watched them. When they reached the last step, applause broke out around the room. Behind them, the other members of the Buchanan family began to enter and the applause grew even louder.

Just before they made their way into the crowd Kevin turned to her and said, “See, told
ya”.

She looked at him, this intelligent, devastatingly handsome man with the boyish grin. He had been her friend, mentor and supporter since she arrived at Buchanan Enterprises. “Did I tell you how handsome you look tonight?”

“No”. He replied.

She waited a beat then leaned in and whispered, “I will”. With that she turned to greet the District Attorney who walked over to talk to them. “Nora, glad you could make it”.

“Evangeline, Kevin. Don’t you two look wonderful this evening”.

Kevin gave his former in-law a peck on the cheek. “You do as well”.

Nora had been married to Bo Buchanan a few years back and even though the marriage did not last, the Buchanans still considered her as one of their own. Nora shook her head, “All things considering, I feel well”. She waved at someone. “I’m gonna go have a chat with our fair Mayor, will you excuse me?”

“Sure” They replied in unison.

Nora looked from one to the other. “Okay. Good luck with the auction”.

****
He couldn’t believe that she was here. Six years. It had been six years since he last saw her and she hadn’t changed one bit. She was as beautiful now as she had been then. Cocoa-colored skin, shiny black hair and dark eyes, that as his recalled would turn the blackest of blackest in the heat of passion. A flood of emotions came crashing down on him. Emotions that he had managed to keep locked away all this time.

Why was she here? Why was she with Kevin Buchanan?

He kept his eyes on them as they made their way around the room. Mingling with the guests and other members of the family. Every now and then one would find a reason to touch the other. Each time they did, he wanted to go over and rip Kevin’s head clean off of his shoulders.

“Put it in check, John”. He ordered himself. This was neither the time nor place for him to lose his cool.

This is where a smart man would make a quiet exit. And he always considered himself to be a smart man but even as he willed his feet to move, he planted them more firmly.

***
Evangeline made her way to the temporary stage that had been erected at the front of the ballroom for the event. “Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please?”

The room feel into silence and all eyes were on her. “The charity auction will begin shortly, but first I would like to extend a thank you to each of you on behalf of Buchanan Enterprise for coming out to support this year’s charitable event”. She paused for a moment surveying the room. “The proceeds from this auction will go towards cancer research. As you know….” Her eyes came to rest on a familiar pair of blues. She felt the room shift slightly. No, it couldn’t be. “Look away”, she order herself and did so. When she looked over again, no one was there.

Clearing her throat, she continued, “As you know, hundreds of men and women are diagnosed with cancer every year. But thank to medical research, more and more people are becoming cancer survivors. Buchanan Enterprises would like to do their part to help in this fight, therefore, they pledge to match the money raised from this evening auction dollar for dollar”. Applause broke out around the room. “Again, thank you for joining us in our fight”.

She hurried from the stage almost catching the hem of her dress on the heel of her shoe, earning herself a curious glance from a few of the guests as well as Kevin, who had come closer to the stage during her speech. He reached out to help her but she put up her hand, palm outward. “Don’t, I’m okay”.

“Evangeline?”

“Kevin please. I’m fine I just need a minute, okay”. She left Kevin standing there staring at her back as she disappeared into the crowd. She rushed through the terrace doors and down the path. Finding the furthest bench she could, she sank down onto it. “It wasn’t him”. She told herself over and over. “It wasn’t John”.

She was so busy talking to herself that she didn’t hear the sound of footsteps on the path.

“Angel”.

Startled, she looked up quickly and once again found herself staring into those familiar blues. “J-John?”