Menu
RSS

Site Info
Members: 497
Series: 0
Stories: 263
Chapters: 2316
Word count: 5758652
Authors: 46
Reviews: 2241
Reviewers: 42
Newest Member: james83
 

Guests: 3
Members:

JoVan Videos


Chit-Chat
Boykin
08/24/23 02:31 pm
<a treatment/">Skin Whitening Injections</a> om/]thanks for this blog[/url]
AdmjPonia
07/14/22 05:15 pm
viagra 40 mg <a com/ ">sildenafil citrate australia</a> https://xtyviagrix.com/
WrrChaps
06/19/22 07:40 pm
comparison and contrast essay on the great gatsby <a ersion.com/ ">essay on rainwater harvesting in hindi language</a> .com/



[Reviews - 222] Printer Chapter or Story

ePub eBook Chapter or Story


This Has been viewed 3025 times



Click here to darken the background



As predicted many years ago the Great War came. No one knew who started it or why and as the fighting continued, those questions were no longer important. Nations turned against each other. In fighting was next. Brother found himself pitted against brother. Alliances were broken. Then, the worse happened, one by one, the super powers pushed the button. Weapons of mass destruction were unleashed.

The skies were blacken with ash and the rivers flowed with the blood of the fallen. Cities crumbled to the ground, forests burned and civilization was wiped out.

The planet lay dormant. The once a bright shining ball, glowed no more. All was still, quiet. Time passed on.

But this was not the end. What man had not destroyed, Mother Nature protected. When the time came, she set it free. There was a flicker of light in the sky, the sun enveloped the Earth in its warmth again; the planet breathed. The seeds of new life sprouted forth and the next era began.

Rivers ran again. Vegetation grew. Civilizations were rebuilt.

Like before, government and laws were developed. The Royals, as they came to be known, were the ruling class. They ensured that these laws were upheld by any means they deemed necessary. Once again there was segregation among the people.

“Those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them”.
*****

She ran through the halls of the great temple. She was in her white sleeping gown. The material flowed behind her as she ran. Her hair was loose it bounced around her shoulders. She feet were bare. The air was chilled and the stones were cold when her feet came in contact with them but she didn’t care. She continued to run. Her destination was just ahead.

As she rounded the corner, she heard the sound of two voices locked in a heated debate. One was her father’s. She hid behind the wall and peeked. Her father stood just off to the side of the rears entrance; it was the entrance used by the family to enter and exit the temple. He was engrossed in conversation with a strange, cloaked being. The cloak was long and black, the hood covered its head completely, the sleeve hung down but its were exposed a bit. From what she could see they were almost as white as the gown she wore and they were luminous.

She wanted to know why her father would be here in the middle of the night with this creature. What were they discussing? She needed to get closer so that she could hear. She crept behind the statue of their beloved goddess: Manu.

She looked up at the statue. It was carved beautifully. Manu was a slender, ethereal woman. Her dress hung to the ground and spread out behind her. Her was worn in one single braid that hung down passed her back. Her arms, decorated with jeweled bracelets, where lifted towards the heavens, as was her face, the eyes were closed.

According to the lessons that she had been taught. Manu was the mother of the planet. She was born to serve God and had done so loyally. When all others had become tainted by the evils of the world, Manu had remained pure of heart earning herself a place in God’s kingdom. When the world had gone mad, he let it be destroyed then he gave her the gift of rebirth and sent her out to restore life. After she had completed her task, he appointed her guardian of all that existed.

She felt the pangs of guilt for what she was doing now. It was forbidden to be in the temple without permission of the King and an escort of the house. After rebels disguised as followers had entered the temple and attempted to discrete the statue, her father had decreed that none would be allowed in alone. Intruders were to be executed on sight.

She found the law rather barbaric and had told him so on many an occasion. The two of them never seemed to agree on much and as she got older, they became less and less agreeable with each other.

She had her own ideas on how she should live her life and he had his. He kept his family caged inside the walls of their home. She wanted to venture out but he wouldn’t hear of it. The closest she ever came to the people was glimpsing them through the tinted windows of her families transport vehicle. He argued that she was too young, too naïve to understand what the world was like outside. He explained that he had to rule with an iron fist in order to preserve some of the sanctity of what he stood for.

When she saw her father slipping away into the night, she’d gone over the wall and gave pursuit. Though the temple wasn’t far from their home, it was a good distance away. She had been frightened at first but then the excitement of being out on her own pushed her forward. Now here she was.

She placed her feet on the base of the statue and climbed up. She strained her ears trying to hear what they were saying. She leaned in their direction. She managed to catch a few words. The creature was asking her father for aide and her father was refusing to give it. It looked up, in her direction but not at her. Purple eyes, it had purple eyes; they fascinated her.

“What are you doing in here?”

She turned her head and found herself looking at one of her father’s guards.

“Get down from there”, He commanded.

She panicked; her father was sure to hear the guard. She put one foot down and before it touched the floor the other slipped out from under her and she fell. Her head hit the stone.

“Evangeline”.

She opened her eyes slowly. Her head was throbbing. Her sister sat beside her on the bed. The throbbing increased. Her brought her hand up and found that she was wearing a bandage. “Go away Layla”.

Layla ignored her. “Father is livid. You’re sure to be punished”. She was 5 years Evangeline’s junior and her total opposite. They had the same dark brown eyes and black hair. Evangeline favored her mother in complexion and build, Layla was darker skinned and the spitting image their father. She was as obedient as Evangeline was rebellious. She did exactly what her was told to do no questions asked. It drove Evangeline crazy at times.

“Why did you leave the house sister?” Layla asked.

Evangeline sat up. “Why do I do any of the things I do?” She replied.

Layla shook her head. “I don’t understand why you long to be out there so much. There is nothing out there for you”.

Evangeline frowned. “How would you know that?” She swung her legs over the edge of the bed so that she was now sitting side by side with her sister. “Tonight I saw a creature with purple eyes”.

Layla’s eye widened, “You did not”.

“Yes I did. I have heard tales from other people about the beings that live outside this sanctuary”. She took her sister’s hand. “Our family rules over this place but why is it that we only see people like ourselves. Why does our father not allow all those he rule to seek council from him here? Why was he about tonight meeting strangers?” She blew out a frustrated breath. “Don’t you want to know?”

Layla pulled her hand free and stood. “All I need to know is right here. I want to live a pure life like the goddess. I don’t care what’s outside these walls because I know its evil”.

“No you don’t”.

“Enough!” Their father stood just inside the doorway of her room. “Layla, leave us. Your sister and I have some things we need to get straight”. He waited for the door to close behind him before he approached her. “I don’t know what to do about you daughter. With each passing year you become more defiant”.

“Defiance is not my intention father. I am of my own mind that’s all”.

He sighed. “Evangeline, you are the eldest daughter of the fifth house of DeCoux. We have ruled here since the world was remade. As I have no sons, the future of that reign depends on you. I fear that when the time comes, you will be unable to do so well”. He folded his hands in front of him.

“Father I-“

“Silence”. He ordered. “You leave me know choice but to take measures to ensure that our future is secured. You will be twenty-one years on this earth in two days. On your birthday, you will marry”.

Evangeline jumped to her feet. “No! I will not!”

“You will do your duty to this family and to this house. Gavin Friel has had eyes for you since you were children; surely you know this. He comes from a good family, his father is a gentlemen and scholar. Their family has been loyal to our since before I was born. I consider him an excellent choice for you, he’ll make a fine husband and will help you rule well”.

She continued to shake her head.

“It is to be daughter. This is one fight that you cannot win with me”.
****

Evangeline sat in front of her mirror, watching through the glass as the finishing touches were put on her hair. It was intricately styled, piled on top of her head, beads of various colors were woven into it; they sparkled when she turned her head from side to side.

In the middle of her forehead sat a single jewel, an emerald. It matched the color of her dress. The dress was handcrafted that morning and fit her like a glove. The bodice was snug, tastefully and sleeveless. The bottom flared outward starting at the knee. Her arms were adorned with bracelets that stretched from elbow to wrist.

“You’re beautiful, daughter”. Her mother’s image appeared in the mirror just as the final touches to her hair were completed.

“Why are you letting him do this to me?” She asked.

Her mother waved a hand and the room was cleared. “I’m not letting him do anything. I happen to agree with his decision”.

Evangeline spun around in her chair. “What?”

“Honestly, you should have married when you turned eighteen, that has always been our way but your father and I made an exception for you. The house of DeCoux has always been ruled by men. If no sons were born to the ruler of the house then the eldest daughter was to take on a husband when she turned eighteen. Together they were taught how to rule and given equal seats on the throne”.

“Why have I not heard of this until now”.

Her mother knelt down in front of her. “Two reasons. One I am the first to born no son in over a hundred years. Don’t feel sorry for me, I adore my daughters and wouldn’t trade you for anything”. She said. “The second reason is because when you were born your father took one look at you and saw a leader. He believed that you would be the first woman to ever rule this house. It was he, not I who overlooked the law”. She cupped her chin in her hand. “He loves you dearly and you have broken his heart”.

“I’m sorry”. She began to cry.

When the first tear fell, her mother wiped it away with her thumb. “Don’t cry, you’ll ruin your make up”. She rose to her feet bring Evangeline up with her. “Let’s get you married”.

Evangeline took several deep breaths. “For father, I will do this. I will make him proud of me again”.

Guards came bursting through the door. “My Queen!” One shouted.

“What is it?”

“Rebels stormed the gates, they have gotten into the palace”.

She rushed forward, “My husband were is he?”

“Taken my queen, along with Princess Layla. We need to get you out of here”.

“How can this be?” Evangeline asked. “Why did you not protect them?”

“They ambushed us. I don’t know how it happened. Please Princess, we need to get you to safety”.

There was shouting in the hall. “They’re coming! They’re coming!”

“You”. He point to one of the guards. “Take the queen”. He took Evangeline by the arm, “Princess you’re with me”.

She shook her head “We shouldn’t split up”.

“Do as he says Evangeline”. Her mother ordered. “There is no time to argue”.

“Stay close behind me. As soon as we clear the gate, you run as fast as you can”.

She looked around for her mother but she had already been whisked away by the other guard. “Okay”.

They entered the main hall; bodies were everywhere. She prayed that she didn’t see the faces of her family. She stepped over them carefully; a few times she closed her eyes. They made their way outside. The guard that had been assigned to her mother lay on the steps. He was dying.

The guard leaned down “Where is the queen?”

“Taken”, he whispered.

Someone or something was coming down the palace stairs. He grabbed Evangeline’s hand and raced towards the gate. He shoved her inside a vehicle. “Go”.

“You can’t leave me. I don’t know how to drive”.

“Learn quickly”. He said then he closed the door in her face.

He began to fire.

Evangeline took hold of the steering wheel and pulled on it. The vehicle shot away from the gate and down the road. She tried to control it but it began to swerve side to side and went into the forest. She managed to gain enough control to avoid hitting the trees. She came out on the other side and crashed into the water.

She was a disoriented but she managed to get the door open and swam to shore. When she pulled herself from the water, she silently thanked her father for insisting on the family having swimming lessons…in the palace pool of course.

She wanted to lie down and rest but she knew she couldn’t. There might be rebels not far behind her. She got to her feet and began to run. She made her way into the first building she found. It was a bar that appeared to be closed.

“We’re not open yet”. A voice came from behind the counter.

She braced herself prepared to run again in case it was a rebel. “Please, help me”.

A head came up slowly.
****

He recognized her immediately her picture had been all over the television with news of her impending wedding. What the hell was a princess doing standing in the middle of his bar? She looked like was just fished out of the river.

“You have to hide me, please”. He hadn’t attacked her yet so she didn’t think he was a rebel. She took a cautious step.

Jason came from behind the bar. As he moved closer he could see that she was shaking. “What happened to you?”

“Please, they’ll find me”.

He looked towards the door. “Come with me”.

She followed him through another door and down a dark hall. He pushed open a second door and they entered the alleyway. It was then that he noticed she wasn’t wearing any shoes. “There might be glass out here, I don’t want you to cut your feet. I need to carry you”.

He had kind eyes she thought. A pale blue similar to the color dress her mother was wearing. She said nothing as he lifted her into his arms. He sat her down inside the back seat of his car then he slide into the driver’s seat. “Don’t worry, I’m taking you somewhere safe”.

The car glided down the alley and out onto the main road.

She rested her head against the soft leather seat, secondly later she was fast asleep.

Jason glanced at her through the rearview mirror. He had to help her he told himself. It was the right thing to do. John would not echo that sentiment but he’d cross that bridge when it he got it. He circled around the back of their hideaway. The entrance was camouflaged by a group of trees. He sped towards them. There was a slight ripple as he passed through the hologram and inside.

He parked the car and got out. When he lifted her out of the car she stirred. He sat her down on her feet.

“Where are we?” She asked.

He smiled at her. “It’s a secret. Follow me”.

He led her up some stairs and into a home. It was dark and moderately furnished by it was lived in. “I think Ishara has something you can change into. You look about the same size”. He left her standing where she was and disappeared, when he returned he was carrying clothing. “The bathroom is just down there. There are clean towels and washcloths in the closet beside the door. You change out of that wet dress and I’ll make you something warm to drink”.

He passed her the clothing and she went into the bathroom. She turned on the light and was shocked at the sight of her appearance. Some of her hair remained styles while some pieces hung wildly. The bead that had been woven in had parts missing. Her make up was completely ruined. She began yanking the remaining strings of bead for her hair not so gently. They fell and scattered on the floor. Next she grabbed a brush the was laying on the edge of the sink, she didn’t care who is belonged to. She pulled it through her hair, untangling the mess then she plaited it into a single braid.

She scrubbed her face clean then stripped and did the same to her body. After she finished, she put on the clean clothing. Her feet were still bare. She examined herself in the mirror once more. Her father would expect her to maintain her dignity no matter what happened. She was determined to do so.

Jason was in the living room, sitting in one of the two large leather chairs. On the coffee table was a steaming mug. He checked her out from head to toe. She wasn’t quite Ishara’s size after all. The jeans fit snug on her and the top as well. She had a great body so he couldn’t complain about the view. “Better?” he asked.

“Yes, thank you”. She opted to sit on the sofa. She lifted the mug, sniffed it then took a sip. “What’s in this?” she asked.

“Herb tea and something with a little kick. It’ll help warm you up faster”.

She sat the mug down. “Liquor?” She brought the back of her hand to her mouth. “I can’t consume liquor. It’s forbidden”.

“Trust me, there isn’t enough in there to get you drunk, just a few drops’.

She sighed. “I’m sorry, I’m being rude”. She looked at the mug then picked it up again and sipped. “What’s your name?” she asked.

“Jason Morgan”.

“Evangeline Ain DeCoux”. She held out her hand.

“I know who you are Princess. There’s no need for an introduction”. He smiled and took the hand she offered.

“Thank you for helping me Jason, my family is in your debt”.

He released her hand. “Are they?”

Something came into his eyes for a second but as quickly as it came it was gone.

She wanted to ask him about it but didn’t get the chance.

A man came walking in “Jason, you’ll never guess what I just heard”. His eyes landed on Evangeline. “What the hell?”

Beside him was a pale woman with a cascade of jet-black hair. She immediately dropped to one knee and bowed her head. “Princess”.

Behind her was a tall dark skinned man with golden eyes. He looked around at everyone but said nothing.

John marched over to Jason. “What is she doing here, Jason?” He turned to the woman. “Get up”.

The golden-eyed man walked over and sat in the other chair. He eyes fixed on Evangeline. He reminded her a large cat. He frightened her.

“She’s was in trouble, John. I couldn’t just abandon her”.

“Damn right she’s in trouble, in fact she is trouble. Rebels just attacked the palace; they’re looking for her. What were you thinking? Take her back to where ever you found her”.

“Brothers”. The other man said. He voice had a slight growl to it.

She looked from them, to him, to the woman who was now standing again. The eyes that looked back at her were purple in color. She lunged to her feet almost spilling her tea. “What did you do with my family?” She demanded.

“I beg your pardon Princess”.

“It was you wasn’t. The cloaked creature that I saw talking to my father. I know it was, I saw your eyes”.

The woman stepped forward causing Evangeline to take a step back. “You saw one like me?”

“I saw you”. This time it was she who moved forward. “Where are they?”

“She doesn’t know where your family is. She had nothing to do with what happened to them”.

She turned attention back John. “Somebody does”. She heard the sounds of heavy breathing. Her eyes slide back to the man beside her. His eyes had changed from gold to black, completely black all over, pupils and irises. She screamed, skirted the coffee table and ran into the bathroom, closing the door behind her.

He roared with laughter. “Who knew she could move so fast”.

Jason got to his feet. “Was that really necessary?” He went to check on her.

Ishara hit him in the arm. “Damn it Cole, that was just plain mean”.

“And accusing you of taking her family was rude”. John said. “Why did you bow to her?”

Ishara shrugged. “Out of respect”.

He frowned. “You don’t owe her any respect, none of us do”.