Menu
RSS

Site Info
Members: 497
Series: 0
Stories: 263
Chapters: 2316
Word count: 5758652
Authors: 46
Reviews: 2241
Reviewers: 42
Newest Member: james83
 

Guests: 1
Members:

JoVan Videos


Chit-Chat
Boykin
08/24/23 02:31 pm
<a treatment/">Skin Whitening Injections</a> om/]thanks for this blog[/url]
AdmjPonia
07/14/22 05:15 pm
viagra 40 mg <a com/ ">sildenafil citrate australia</a> https://xtyviagrix.com/
WrrChaps
06/19/22 07:40 pm
comparison and contrast essay on the great gatsby <a ersion.com/ ">essay on rainwater harvesting in hindi language</a> .com/



[Reviews - 68] Printer Chapter or Story

ePub eBook Chapter or Story


This Has been viewed 1312 times



Click here to darken the background



She awoke to the sound of her name being whispered just beyond the door of the tiny hut. Carefully, she’d slipped out away to see who was there.

She went outside into the dull light of dawn and there she saw Enexhi standing at the edge of the jungle. Her pale blonde hair was loose, hung down, draped over one shoulder. She was wearing a long gown that was yellow in color and on her head she wore a crown of flower, daises that were as yellow as her gown. Enexhi smiled at her then she turned and entered the jungle.

Evangeline raced after her, dashing through the trees. Bits of wet grass stuck to her feet and lower part of her legs both of which were bare. She wore only John’s shirt. She’d picked it up of the floor and put it on before leaving the hut. The ground was damp as well. It must have rained some time during the night, while she was asleep, safely tucked in his arms.

She came to a stop, winded from running so far, so fast. There was no sign of Enexhi. Where could she going? She chased after her immediately. She spun around in a slow circle, surveying the entire area. She was alone. All was quiet.

She heard rustling behind her and she turned around quickly. “Who’s there?”

No one answered. The sky grew darker and she looked up. Thick dark clouds hovered above her. There was more rustling, this time in a different direction. She spun again, “Enexhi?”

Again, no on answered.

“Show yourself”. She said the words bravely even though her knees began to shake.

Sobbing came next, the sobs of a child. Evangeline inched forward in the direction it was coming from. The cloud covered opened up in various spots allowing patch works of sunlight to stream through and beam down on the jungle. She moved further into the jungle, the ground was damper and her feet sunk down into the mix of mud and fallen leaves. She could still here the child’s sobs but it seems that the closer she got to, the further away it sounded.

The sobbing stopped. She paused. “Hello”. Nothing. She slapped at the high growth of leaves in front of her, moving them aside. Just ahead of her, she saw the growth move as if someone was moving through it at a high speed, running away from her. “Wait!” She screamed then she was giving chase. Her arms and legs became tangled in the leaves but she struggled out of them and continued running. She broke through and into a small clearing. She was huffing a bit.

There in the clearing was Enexhi. Her back was to her. She was crotched low and the ends of her yellow gown where covered with mud. She was speaking, her voice low. Evangeline could not here the words she spoke but her voice was soothing.

“Enexhi”, she moved closer. As she did, the top of the child’s head became visible. The child’s hair was as blonde as Enexhi’s, the face cherubic, pale with rosy cheeks.

The child couldn’t have been more than four or five years old. She turned her eyes upward, away from Enexhi and looked at Evangeline. No, not at her, she realized but just past her. Evangeline turned around to see what the child was looking at. Five cloaked figures burst through the brush. She stumbled backwards.

The child screamed as the cloaked figures descended upon her. They hoisted her up, two taking hold of her arms and two taking hold of her legs. Enexhi did nothing as they carried the child off.

Evangeline went to her, “Why didn’t you try to stop them!”

Enexhi looked at her, her eyes filled with tears but she spoke no words. Her face had paled with fear. She turned and went in the same directions in which the child had been taken.

“Enexhi”. Evangeline followed her. They came to another clearing and suddenly day became night. The figures were there, pinning the screaming child down on what looked to be a kind of altar. They were chanting words that she did not understand. The child struggled against their hold. The moonlight bounced off the blade of a knife as the fifth member of this group raised it high in the air. The child’s head turned. Her pale gray eyes met Evangeline’s. “No!” Evangeline yelled.

She pushed forward towards them, tripping over her own feet and landing hard on her hands and knees. She tried to scramble to her feet but the mud wouldn’t allow her to. Her feet slipped out from under her, which caused her hands to slip as well as she landed face first back in the mud. Her head hit the ground hard causing her to become dizzy. She shook it. She looked up at the altar but the child was gone. In her place was John. His blue eyes trained on her. The blade came downward….

She shot up like a rocket and came crashing down against the floor of the hut. Her shoulder hit the hard ground, sending a blinding pain through her arm. She lay there for a moment; she had been dreaming. Relief washed over her but was immediately replaced with dread. She sat up. It was waste of time to look at the bed because she knew she was alone in the hut. John was not there; he had not just left the hut but he’d left the village. She knew it to be true because of the instant emptiness she felt. She stood slowly. The hem of his shirt brushed against her legs. She remembered that she’d awoken, chilled and he’d put the shirt on her then wrapped his body around her to ward off the cold night air.

How long had he been gone?

She stepped outside. Her eyes instantly moved in the direction in which she had seen Enexhi standing in her dream. There was no one there.

“They’re gone”.

Evangeline turned to find Ishara standing beside her. She looked distraught and pissed at the same time. “When did they leave?”

“I don’t know”. How dare they sneak away and leave her. They were supposed to be a team.

“At least a day, possibly two”, Maria came towards them. “I woke up in the middle of the night, suddenly to find Cole gone. I thought maybe he’d gone for a run so I head out to the jungle. I tracked his scent but it was faint, which means it’s old”. They had made love for the first time after Enexhi gave John and Jason the news of Kendall’s whereabouts and he just up and went without telling her.

Ishara shook her head, “This doesn’t make sense”.

Evangeline thought about the dream she had. It frightened her to recall the knife coming down towards John’s body. She shuddered.

“What’s wrong?” Ishara asked.

“I have a bad feeling”. She turned her head towards the path leading to Enexhi’s cave. She walked off in that direction.

“Where are you going?” Ishara went after her.

“To get some answers”.

****

John turned, earning himself a face full of sun. He shielded his eyes then sat up. He had protested stopping last night but was out voted, it was a good thing to because he was tired and too stubborn to admit it. Not that he’d gotten much rest. His mind was busy with thoughts of his father, of the journey that he and his brother were embarking on and with thoughts of Evangeline.

He’d left her sleeping deeply in the little hut that they had shared in Enexhi’s village. He had stood in the doorway for a long time watching her lying there. Leaving her was hard, harder than even he had anticipated. Enexhi had given them a warning; told them to beware the road yet traveled. That could mean so many things. He couldn’t risk bringing Evangeline along with him, not knowing what they were in stored for.

He sighed. He had been angry with her for sneaking away to go to Lei Zheng. She’d done so to protect him, not just him but he was a major factor in her decision. Now here he was doing the same. The only difference was that he wasn’t planning on making it forever. He’d do all he could to get back to her. Hopefully, he’d be healed, whole if he did. When he did, he corrected.

She gave him a purpose, beyond the one that he focused on his whole life. After he peeled away the layers that he covered himself with, after he cut through the anger and the pain, what was left was what he’d found with her. She was his center. Somehow she’d pushed through the rest and became his core.

But the truth still mattered. He owed his father and he owed it to them to figure it all out, so that there could finally be rest for them all. He wanted to build a new life with her and he refused to let this ugliness remain hanging over his present like a dark cloud, threatening his future.

He planned to come back to her.

Jason came to sit beside him. He threw his arm around his shoulder. His little brother was little no more. He was a man, they both were. He wanted to see him grow older, watch as his hair turned as gray as his own would turn. He planned to ensure that he came back as well. He too had found something else to live. He too made found love.

He looked over to where Cole sat talking to Sonny, who insisted on coming along on this journey.

“You’re doing it again”, Jason said.

John removed his arm. “Doing what?”

“Making yourself responsible for everyone. I worry when you do that. You tend to put yourself in the line of fire when you do”.

John pulled a piece of grass out of the ground and twisted it around his finger. “Is this the death wish speech again? Is so, don’t waste your breath. I don’t have a death wish. I have plenty of reason to live”.

“A certain princess?”

John’s mouth twisted into a smile. “For starters. But then there’s my sometimes annoying baby brother, who’d be lost without me”.

“I really would”, Jason stated seriously.

“You’d survive Jason. We come from tough stock and then there’s Ishara. She’s strong. She’d be there for you to lean on if you needed her”.
“I don’t know about that now that we left her behind. When she realizes it, she’s going to be mad. She’s going to feel abandoned by us”. Jason took a deep breath.

“Ishara knows that she’s apart of this team always. We’d never abandon her”.

“I lied to her John. I said that our relationship wouldn’t interfere with the team. But how can I see her the same way now. I want to protect her, shield her from danger the same way you want to shield Evangeline. I know that she’s strong, as strong as any of us but when Enexhi gave us that warning I became scared, scared that she might perish in this quest of ours”.

“It’s a natural reaction Jason, you love her”. He understood that.

Cole had argued that it wasn’t right to leave her. But he was out voted. He had rode in silence for hours and continued to remain silent when they camped, a sigh of his one-man protest against what they’d done. No only had they left her. They had gone to Enexhi and asked that she give the women something to make them sleep so that they could leave undetected. He had warned them that they deed would come back to bit them. And they had informed him that he was just as guilty as they were, because he had slipped the elixir to Maria.

He’d growled at them for pointing that out and went about stating that Maria would have heard them leaving and alerted the other two.

“We cannot go back and do it over Jason and if we could, tell me you wouldn’t do the same thing”.

Jason shook his head, “I can’t”. So what would that mean for his relationship with Ishara?

John patted him on the back. “It’s time we got back on the move”.

They loaded themselves into their jeeps, John and Jason in one, Cole and Sonny in the other. John settled into the passenger seat. He’d driven the first leg of the trip and Jason was taking over the second. They drove away from the campsite back onto the road in the direction of Dunleif. They agreed that there would be no more stops along the way unless it was absolutely necessary.

“I wonder how Damon’s making out with Morgan’s”. Jason stated after they’d been driving for a while.

“He’s a good guy. I’m sure the place running smoothly”.

“You should have seen his face when I put him in charge. I thought he was going to pass out on me”.

“I’m sure he’s fine now. Morgan’s is fine”.

They drove a little further. “Why do you think he did it John?”

“If William Hart did kill our father, I couldn’t say. I never trusted the man, not from the moment I set eyes on him. I bet it didn’t take much for him to do it. If he did”, he repeated, not ready to rule out Ageyi being responsible for their father’s death.

“We should have asked Enexhi that question”.

“I doubt she would have answered it directly or indirectly”.

“Why not?” He asked. “I don’t get it”.

“I don’t think we’re suppose to. We all have rules that we have to live by, even Enexhi”.

Jason turned his head for a second to look at John. “So suddenly you’re pro Enexhi. Let’s not forget what she did to Ishara and what she did to you”.

“I haven’t forgotten. I could never forget. I also cannot forget that she sent her people to help Evangeline. Without that assistance we might not have gotten her away from Lei Zheng. She also summoned help for Sonny and she brought those left alive to her village. I’m not saying that we are suddenly friends or that I trust her implicitly. I just spread my new found open mindedness to include this new her”. He shrugged. “Well, I’m trying to”.

“She did give us that warning and she refused your offering, thankfully”. Jason sighed. “It would be so much easier if she could tell us the why and how. If we had first hand knowledge of what’s ahead we could be better prepared”.

“We’ll just have to keep our eyes and ears open, stay alert, working together”, John said. He turned his head to look out the window. According to what he remembered about the area, they would be entering Dunleif in a few hours.

****

Ishara grabbed Evangeline’s arm. “Wait”. She spun her around. “You can’t go barging in on her”.

Evangeline huffed, “I most certainly can”, she said with that air of royal superiority.

Ishara raised an eyebrow, “Oh really. And what about Azim? I don’t think he’ll bend underneath that superior princess attitude”.

“She’ll let me in”. She looked back over her shoulder, up the path. “She’s probably expecting me”. She turned back to Ishara, “Us”. She blew out a breath. “Think about it Ishara, isn’t odd that we slept the way we did”.
“Maria said Cole’s scent was more than a day old. Of course I’ve thought about it. They wanted to make us sleep and she provided them with a way”.

Evangeline saw the anger flash in Ishara’s eyes, “So what do you want to do about it?”

“Let’s go”, she walked around her and started up the path.

Evangeline followed her.

Azim stood ramrod straight outside the opening of Enexhi’s cave. He watched the two of them coming up the path. Enexhi already told him that they would be coming. She gave orders to let them in.

She wasn’t quite herself this morning. She seemed drained. More than once, her mind wondered away during their conversation.

Evangeline walked right up to him, bravely but before she could demand to see Enexhi, Azim spoke.

“She awaits you”, he said then he stepped aside letting them pass.

Evangeline marched into the cave with Ishara at her side. They found Enexhi sitting in her throne-like chair. She didn’t look well at all. Her gold dusted skin was pale. Evangeline remembered how she had looked in her dream when the cloaked men took the child version of her away.

“You really were there, weren’t you?” Enexhi asked. “How is it that you found your way into my dream?”

“Maybe that potion you gave John to give to me played apart”. Evangeline moved closer to her. “Did that really happen to you? Did men come for you when you were a child? Did they try to kill you?”

Ishara looked from Evangeline to Enexhi.

Enexhi shook her head, “Yes. I had forgotten about it until now”.

“You were just a small child, no more than five”.

“Even then, there were people who feared me. Feared what I might be able to do. Something I had yet to discover at that age”. Enexhi got up for her chair and came down to stand before them. “But you did not come here to talk with me of such things”.

“No, we did not”. Evangeline folder her arms in front of her. “In the dream, when the knife came down, you became John. What does that mean? Is he hurt?”

Ishara frowned. Evangeline had not disclosed this to her.

“His journey. Their journey won’t be easy”.

“That’s not an answer Enexhi”, Evangeline stated.

“Just give it to us straight”. Ishara spoke for the first time since entering the cave.

“You’re angry. Angry that you were left behind”.

“I am angry about a lot of things. But yes, that angers me”.

“It wasn’t because they didn’t trust you. Jason loves you, just as John loves Evangeline. They did what they felt was best to protect that”.

“And if this journey should be their end what then?”

“I’m sorry Ishara”, Enexhi said. “I am not writing this story. I am merely a character, whose playing a part, just like the rest”.

“But unlike the rest of us, you get to flip ahead”, Evangeline pointed out.

“Yes but there are rules to doing so. I am forbidden to spoil the ending or I will be punished”

“So drugging us was just your way of playing your part”. Ishara frowned again.

“Yes, just as speaking with you now is”. She looked at Evangeline, “To answer your question. No, John is not hurt”.

“Have they reached Dunleif yet?” Ishara asked.

Enexhi went to sit back down. She was feeling awfully tired. “You mean to go after them”.

“You already know the answer to that”.

“Yes, just as I know no the princess means to go with you”.

Ishara turned to Evangeline. She was no fighter and she had no business going with her. If there were trouble along the way, she’d have to defend them both. “I cannot allow that. Its too dangerous”.

“They matter to me too Ishara. I will not be forced to stay here. If you think that I will not be able to defend myself, you are wrong”. She’d defended herself against Lei Zheng, stabbing him in the neck and she’d shot one of Lo Zheng’s men when they chased them through the woods outside the temple. “I am more than I was before my life was turned upside down”.

That statement was one that Ishara could relate to. “If I allow this you will do exactly as I say at all times. No arguments. No going off on your own. No sacrificing yourself”, Ishara said. “We work as a team, understood?”

Evangeline nodded, “Understood”.

Enexhi watched them walk out of her cave. It was disturbing that somehow, Evangeline entered into her dream. She couldn’t recall reaching out to her but maybe she had unconsciously. Her abilities were out of sorts lately. Visions came and went as they pleased. Old memories long since buried were resurfacing. She wondered if it was directly connected to her decision to not take the blood offerings anymore. She leaned back and rested her head against the chair.

Azim entered the cave, “You do not look well”.

“I am fine Azim, do not worry so”.

“I cannot help it. It is what I’ve done since….”

“I was a child”. She finished his sentence for him. “You saved me from them. They were going to kill me but you saved me”.

Azim’s normally straight face, twisted with surprise. “You remember”.

“Yes, I remember. It has all come back to me”. She smiled at him, “Thank you for saving my life”.

“It was my honor to do so then as it is my honor to do so now”. He approached her. “You need to feed Enexhi. I can see you are growing weaker”. He held out his arm then ran his blade over the skin, cutting himself. “Take this offering Enexhi and be whole again”.

Outside, Ishara and Evangeline reached the bottom of the path together. Waiting there for them was Maria.

“What did she say?” Maria asked.

“The usual”, Ishara answered, “A lot but nothing at the same time”.

“What will you do?”

“Go to Dunleif”.

“I’m coming with you”, Maria said. She had something at stake as well. Cole was out there as well as Sonny.

Ishara nodded. Maria was definitely a welcomed addition. She’d seen her in action. She knew how to handle herself. “Alright”.

Evangeline couldn’t be offended by Ishara agreeing so quickly to Maria coming along where as she tried to talk her out of going; she understood that Maria was probably a much better fighter then she was.

They began walked together, the three of them.

“We need transportation”. Maria said

Ishara shrugged, “I don’t think Enexhi will mind if we borrow some”.

“Weapons?”

“We will have to make a stop on the way”. Ishara said.

Evangeline paused, “I have to do one thing before we go. I need to check to my sister, let her know that I am leaving but that I will return”. She walked away from them, trusting that they would not take off once she was out of their sight.

She entered the hut where Layla had gone to sleep. She was still sleeping, her head resting on her arm. She must have been giving the same elixir Evangeline thought when she shook her and she did not stir.

Evangeline leaned over and kissed her forehead. “I’ll come back to you little sister”. She stroked Layla’s hair before rising a leaving the hut. She saw an old Hysni woman standing in the doorway of the next hut. She went to her and asked that she give Layla a message when she woke then she went to rejoin the others. When she reached them, Kane was there.

“You’re not coming”, Ishara told him.

“But I insist”, he replied.

Maria rolled her eyes into the air. The two of them had been going back and forth for too long. “Let him come Ishara. I saw the way he came to the aid of Zoë and Zane. He can handle himself”.

Ishara let out a slow breath, “Okay but that’s it, no more passengers on this ride”.

They climbed into the first jeep they saw and found that the keys were in it. Ishara got behind the wheel. She knew the area the best so it was logically that she would take them out of Enexhi village and onto the road leading east towards Dunleif.

“So where are we stopping for weapons?” Maria asked.

Ishara met her eyes through the rearview mirror, “Morgan’s”.

****

Kendall was becoming quite comfortable in her new living space. Byre was going out of his way to make her comfortable. She couldn’t say the same for the rest of the Duley gang but they didn’t bother her. Most just stared at her oddly and some whispered, others, like Ren and Daliha were bolder in their opinions of her continued stay in Dunleif.

She looked out the window of her room and saw a large gathering had formed into a circle. In the middle of the circle was Byre. Tall and masculine with his dark hair and deep green eyes. She could not hear what he was saying but whatever it was had the attention of everyone.

She slipped into her clothing, headed downstairs and out the door. His voice was the only one she heard. The others were silent. The crowd was taking in his words. He spoke of leadership and strength, of the legacy of the Duley gang. He called the gang invincible and a cheer erupted through the crowd.

Next he spoke of disciplining the mind and the body and they were ordered to break up into pairs and train. The crowd dispersed. Several members of the gang spotted her, they stared for a moment then paired off like they were ordered to do.

Byre came through the parted crowd. “Kendall”.

“Byre”, She looked around at the sparring people. “Preparing for a battle?”

“No, just keeping them conditioned”. He walked around her. “Are you a good fighter Kendall?”

Kendall turned with him, keeping his entire body in her line of vision, “Let’s just say that if the need to defend myself arises, I know how to hold my own”.

“And how often has the need arose?”

“Often enough”, she replied. He threw a swift punch. She blocked it and smiled.

He smiled as well, “Not bad”. He was forced to do some quick blocking of his own when she threw a combination of punches at him with no warning. “Not bad at all”.

Ren watched her brother spar with Kendall. She narrowed her eyes. Byre wasn’t really sparring; he was flirting. The distraction caused her to miss the kick that Daliha threw and she ended up on the ground.

Daliha held out her hand. When Ren clasped it, she pulled her to her feet. “Does that bother you?”

“He wants to make her one of us. Tell me that doesn’t bother you as well”.

“Ren, Byre is our leader. He came add or take away whomever he chooses”.

“I know. But is she worthy?”

Daliha watched Byre and Kendall trade shots. Each blocked the others and followed up with kicks and punches of their own. “She moves well”.

Ren huffed, “He is toying with her”.

“Then perhaps you would like to switch places with him”. It would be interesting to see Kendall and Ren go one on one.

“Perhaps I would”, Ren said then made her way over to them. Daliha was right behind her.

Byre and Kendall stopped.

“Let’s switch, shall we brother”, Ren said.

Byre gave his sister a warning look. “What are you up to Ren?”

“Nothing. I just thought it would be a good idea to swap partners. Unless you are afraid to go up against me”, she directed the last part to Kendall.

Kendall shrugged one shoulder, “It doesn’t matter who I go up against, we’re just sparring right?”

“Right”.

Byre stepped aside, joining Daliha as Kendall and Ren both got into position.

“Are we going to spar or watch them?” Daliha asked.

“Watch”, Byre answered.

Daliha grinned, her bright green eyes sparkled; that was exactly what she was hoping he’d say.
Ren put up her guard and Kendall did the same. “Ready?” she asked.

“Always”, Kendall answered.

Ren threw her hand out. Kendall blocked it then realized too late that it was merely a ploy. Ren came with her left hand and caught her in the jaw. She stumbled backwards. Ren followed up with a kick that sent Kendall down onto her backside.

Ren smiled.

Kendall stood back up. “Don’t celebrate just yet”, she said. “You haven’t won”.

****

Patrick Morgan was alive. He looked to have been starved and tortured but he was alive.

Lorn took the knowledge in with mixed emotions. On one hand, it was none of his business; on the other hand he found that he cared. He’d fought side by side with John and Jason Morgan in a major battle against the Zheng Brothers and their army. They shed blood together. He wouldn’t say that that made them friends but it gave them some kind of bond. The only bond that was strong was the one he had with Mainak and those in his army.

“Again, I ask what you would trade for the whereabouts of the one who wants you dead”, the creature said to Mainak.

“And again I say it depends on what you have in mind”, Mainak stated.

The creature smiled, or appeared to. “That one. I want him”. He pointed to Lorn.

“No. Lorn is not up for trade”.

“He is strong. I could use one as strong as he”.

“Tell me. Was the caged man once strong as well? Would Lorn’s fate be any different than his? Not that it matters anyhow. I would not trade Lorn regardless”.

Jace and Kel came to kneel on either side of the creature. He stroked Jace’s head. “He was no trade. He was left here to suffer the fate of another, one he trusted who betrayed us both”. He went from stroking Jace’s head to stroking Kel’s. Not like a lover would but as a parent would his or her child. “I take care of what is mine”.

“So do I”. Mainak said. “It is obvious that I am wasting my time here with you so I will be on my way”.

The creature made no move to stop them when he and Lorn began to back out of the room. The doors opened behind them and they continued walking backwards through them.

When the doors closed again. The creature spoke, “Go after them; do not let them leave the city”.

Jace and Kel rose. “As you wish”, they said in unison.

Mainak and Lorn walked quickly down the same path that Jace and Kel had led them up. “How far do you think we will get before he sends them after us?” Lorn asked.

“We won’t reach the end of the city”, Mainak said.

“I didn’t think we would”.

Lorn touched his twin swords. It looked like they would be getting another work out sooner than expected.

“It isn’t impossible”, a voice said from the dark along side the path.

Mainak peered into it. A pair of red eyes looked back at him. “Say what you mean Arthropod”.

The Arthropod came forward. It looked exactly like Sivudah but that was not surprised, all of the Arthropods looked alike. Their only distinction could be made by markings that they bore on their backs or face. Sivudah had had three red stripes along his back. This Arthropod had two white stripes on each side of its face. “I can help you escape this place. I can also give you the information that you require”.

“And we are just supposed to trust you?” Mainak thought about what Jace said of the man in the cage.

“You have a choice. You can come with me or you can fight it out with Jace and Kel”.

“We are not afraid to fight”.

“I know you are brave Mainak. I have heard tales of you and your red-headed friend there but you will be out numbered greatly”. It smiled, “Oh, I see. You believe that your army is safely awaiting your return. They are not. Xavier had them taken care of while he was keeping you busy. You and your friend are alone now”.

Mainak grew angry. The Arthropod was speaking the truth, he could tell.

“Come with me now Mainak. Jace and Kel are on their way”.

Mainak stepped off of the path and Lorn followed him. He did not have Mainak’s vision so he was blinded by the dark. He felt Mainak’s hand on his arm. “Stay close Lorn. I will guide you”.

He kept his eyes on the Arthropod. Watched it move along the rocks with ease.

“Hurry”, the Arthropod said.

Mainak picked up the pace.

The Arthropod entered an opening in the rock. Mainak crawled in behind it. The opening was a bit tight but he and Lorn both squeezed through it. When they came out, the Arthropod was waiting for them and not alone. There were two more with it.

“What is this, a trap?”

“Do not be alarmed Mainak. These are my brothers, Cede and Kar; they mean you no more harm than I do. By the way I am Mena”.

“Why did you help us Mena?”

“Because we do not like what Xavier has done to the city. We plan to take him out and we could use one like you on our side”.

“I do not understand. It is said that your race is selfish, self-centered; so much so that you cannot co-exist with even each other”.

“Do not believe everything you hear. And do not judge us by Sivudah’s actions. He was one that fit that mold all too well. But not all of us do”.

“But you’re helping me is for person gain. You want to take the rule of this city away from Xavier”.

“Yes. But we are willing to give you something in return for your assistance. We are everywhere, the Arthropods, we see and hear what others do not. We can tell you were Sivana is and who she travels with”. She moved to Mainak. “What do you say Mainak?”.

He owed Xavier for killing his army so helping to take him out was appealing. “Tell me what you have planned”.

They explained their strategy and Mainak offered his opinions on how to make them better. Lorn listened and he thought to himself. He was trying to figure out a way to free Patrick Morgan from his cage.