“Oh no ya don’t,” Wolverine growled, hot behind her heels. She moved fast, but he moved faster with the blinding speed he was famous for. He waylaid her just below the staircase leading up to the second floor. They faced each other like opponents, breathing heavily, their eyes never wavering from each other. Her brilliant cobalt eyes literally spat fire at him and he was strangely reminded of one of the many reasons he loved her.

It took a supreme effort for him to hold in his grin. “Is this what we’ve come ta, darlin’? Since when do either of us run from a hard discussion?”

Ororo knew he was right. Neither of them had ever back down from a difficult conversation. The strength to face each other and deal with their problems, no matter how hard they may be was one of the many things that made their marriage strong. But she was running on fear. Her fear for his life was always uppermost in her mind whenever he would go away on one a dangerous missions. She knew he loved what he did and she did her best not to stand in his way, but that that didn’t stop her from worrying about him. She knew that her fear was irrational because the man was virtually indestructible. But, stranger things have happened and they have both lived a life where strange things happening were the norm. Her greatest fear was losing the life they have both carefully and lovingly built together. She didn’t know how she would cope in a world where he was no longer around. She didn’t even want to think about it.

“Actually, my decision is not what ya think,” he rushed out.

At his surprising words, Ororo continued to spear him with a penetrating stare, one much like the ones he was well known for.

“I’ve been thinkin’…” He said, measuring his words carefully. “While I agree with Cyke and felt good that he asked me ta be the head of that unit, I know I can’t put ya and the kids through that.”

Her shoulders slumped as the tension that had gripped her ebbed its way out of her body. “So you are telling me you went ahead and accepted Scott’s offer without so much as you both bringing it up with the team and Charles?”

Logan turned away from her intense scrutiny and his silence was her answer. “So what changed your mind?”

He closed the small gap between them, peering at her through hooded eyes as his body brushed up against hers. He opened his arms for her to come to him. “My family.” She walked into the secured warmth of his embrace and collapsed into him. “I made an impulse decision this mornin’, baby…one without talkin’ ta ya first. I realize that was a mistake. I had a knee jerk reaction and went ahead and said yes before really thinkin’ ‘bout it and talkin’ ta ya ‘bout it.”

“So it is safe to say you are going to reject Scott’s offer?” She murmured, resting her forehead against his chest, her arms encircling his waist.

“Well…”

Ororo jerked her head up and frowned at him. “Well, what?”

“I was thinkin’ that it’s best that I train the next generation fer this unit….work from the sidelines so ta speak.”

“What about going away on missions?” She asked snappishly.

“Only when absolutely necessary and there’s no other option. I’ll be like the cavalry.” Logan leaned down and pecked her pursed lips. “What ya thinkin’?”

She sighed and extricated herself from his arms. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other. “I was afraid.”

Logan scowled. The aroma wafting off of her was indicative of her fear. He absolutely hated it. Catching her under the knees with one arm, while holding her close with the other, he took the stairs two at a time to their suite. He didn’t break his stride as he kicked their bedroom door closed and made his way over to the fireplace to take a seat on the sofa. He situated her to rest comfortably on his lap. He placed light kisses over her collarbone and the hollow of her throat and began purring, attempting to soothe her fears.

Ororo couldn’t contain the highly charged emotions warring inside of her anymore and she buried her face into his shirt and succumbed to the tears that had threatened to fall since they began their discussion earlier. Logan didn’t dare say anything as she sobbed. He simply held onto her, lovingly stroking her hair as he waited for her to regain some measure of control.

Once her tears were spent, Ororo wrapped her arms around him even tighter, clinging to him, relishing the feel of his strong and warm body and its usual offering of security.

Breaking the silence, Logan said, “Tell me why ya were afraid.”

He heard her heart hammering in her chest as she relayed her fear to him. “I was afraid that you thought that you had made a mistake leaving the Avengers and was going to use this opportunity to substitute for that void. I know that our work in this world is vital and would not stop any time soon, but I also know that our family is and should be our top priority. I need you here Logan…the kids need you here. I was afraid that the children and I do not offer enough excitement for you.” She sniffled before continuing, “I cannot lose you, Logan. Our children cannot lose you. I fear that one day you will go on a mission and never come back to us.”

Logan was floored. What the…? How could she ever think that? He closed his eyes hearing the panic so evident in her voice as she poured out her ultimate fears to him. Again, he was reminded that he was needed here, with his family more than anywhere else. He pressed a reassuring kiss to her temple, then to her cheek and forehead. “Christ, ‘Ro. I had no idea ya thought that.” He turned her around so that she was now straddling him. “Baby, don’t ya ever think that. The kids and ya are my world. I love ya all so damn much. I’ll admit that the thrill from being a superhero is a nice feeling, but lovin’ ya and the kids is the greatest feeling fer me. Ya guys are more than enough excitement fer me. Hell, I’m lucky ta have this healin’ factor, else I probably would have already died from all the excitement ya give me.”

Her low chuckle comforted him a little. She looked up at him meekly and voiced quietly, “I just do not want to lose what we have, Logan. We have fought too long and hard to have all that we do.”

Logan sighed deeply. “I know ya worry ‘bout me, ‘Ro, as I worry ‘bout ya. And I know I have ta do my part ta see ta my family’s safety and wellbeing. So that means being here fer ya and our rugrats.”

“So, no more off to save the world for long stretches of time?”

“Only if absolutely necessary or Chuck wants me ta do somethin’ fer him.”

She leaned in and nuzzled the column of his throat, inhaling his macho fragrance. “Good because we are going to have our hands even fuller in a few months.”

“Wouldn’t have it any other way, darlin’,” he rumbled. “So, we’re good?”

“Yes, we are good.”

Neither spoke nor moved for minutes, enjoying the warmth of each other’s bodies and the sounds of the night. Breaking the silence, Ororo said, “Having a special operations division as part of the overall team is not a bad idea. Our enemies are getting smarter and so must we. But you do realize that Charles will balk at the idea, right?”

He hid his surprise at her endorsement. “Yeah,” he said on a gust of air through his teeth. “But I think once we talk ta him ‘bout the necessities and pros of having the unit, I think he’ll go fer it…fer the betterment of the team.”

She fell silent for a few seconds before lifting her head from its resting place, to gaze at him. She said on a whisper, knowing that he could hear her. “Logan, I love you so much. After all we have gone through to get to this point, I just do not want to let go of it. We have had so much against us and still do, but I know we can and will handle it together. I want us to both be there for all the major milestones in our children’s lives.”

Logan grabbed her by her ass and hauled her closer to him. “I don’t have any intention of throwin’ what we got away. I’ve spent all my life longin’ and searchin’ fer the happiness you’ve given ta me, ‘Ro, and I ain’t about to give that up fer nothing.” He encouraged her to lean back a bit and he reached down, cradling her stomach where his three pups temporarily rested. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, then growled softly, “Besides, I got too much ta live fer. Right here in this home.”

Their eyes met and locked. They both refused to stop the steady flow of intense emotions between them. They allowed themselves the wonderment of basking in the glow of their love for each other. Ororo saw mirrored in his eyes, the same hunger she felt and she shivered knowing that it was all for her.

She squirmed against him some, so that her crotch glided over his jeans covered erection. Logan groaned. Extricating herself from his hold and sliding off of his lap, she tossed him a sultry smile and began undressing. Logan’s blood boiled and the Wolverine howled at the beautiful sight of its mate. “Do you intend to fulfill your promise for us to pick up where we left off this morning?” She whispered throatily.

Logan growled as he shot up from the sofa and allowed his sexy siren to lure him to their bed. She didn’t have to ask him twice.





You must login () to review.