“Good morning Logan.” Hank was the first to greet him as Logan entered the kitchen. Hank, Jean, and Scott all sat about the dinette table discussing what occurred in the Danger Room.

“How is Ororo?” Jean asked and Logan could sense the genuine concern in her.

“Better, a few nightmares but I helped her get through them. She’s getting dressed now, so I came down to cook her up some breakfast.” Logan replied.

“I’ll do it,” Jean said as she shot out of her seat. “I’ll make all of her favorites.” Logan eyes her suspiciously.

:::Do not worry Logan, contrary to what you think of me I do love ‘Ro too. I would never harm her intentionally. I’m sorry for what happened the other night and I can promise you that it will never happen again.:::

Logan gave a grunt and a nod to the red head who was already pulling out pots and ingredients. He moved to the coffee pot and poured himself a cup, and stood leaning against the counter sipping at it.

“I just don’t understand how Forge could have been so careless,” Scott said continuing with the conversation Logan had walked in on. “I mean inventing mechanical devices and bring them to life is a part of his mutation. How could he have screwed it up?”

“I too have been wondering the same,” Hank replied with a nod. “He may have been distracted, it has happened to us all. We are after all still human, and in the great words of Alexander Pope, ‘to err is human; to forgive is, divine’. Wouldn’t you agree Logan?” Hank asked but when they looked to where Logan had been standing they only saw a streaming cup of coffee seated on the counter top.




Logan had sniffed out his target easily, and with what he had smelled he wasn’t a bit surprised to find Forge in the study with a glass of Scotch in his hand.

“Does it make is better?” Logan barked out as he entered the room and stood just behind the large, overstuffed chair Forge slouched in.

“No,” Forge answered as he took another swallow of the scotch. “You come here to make good on your earlier threat?” Logan’s knuckled did itch as his blades cried out to be released and to gut the man seated pitifully before them.

“No, I get it.” Logan said as he moved to the bar and began fixing himself a shot of whiskey, which he downed quickly and than started pouring himself another. Forge leaned up and peered at Logan but remained silent. “That urge ta take out the competition. I don’t know if it was ever told to ya, but when I first came here I had a thing for a certain red head. Yeah I had it bad and I had murderous thoughts about Scott. About getting him outta the way so I could have Jean. There were even times on some of our missions when I didn’t help One-eye when I could have or should have, all in the hopes that someone else would do the dirty work for me. So believe me I understand why you were trying to kill me in the Danger Room.” Forge only smirked a bit and then flopped back into his seat, not bothering to deny the truth of Logan’s words. “Guess no one told ya about my healing factor, huh?”

“Rory mentioned it, but she didn’t tell me just how fast you healed.” Forge stated.

“Yeah well I’m a hard man ta kill and most people only get one shot at trying it. What happened in the Danger Room, that was yours,” Logan proclaimed and then snapped his eyes to the entrance of the study.

“I want you to understand something Logan, I love Rory. What happened in the Danger Room was between you and I. Had I known the outcome I…I would never ever, hurt Rory, never.” Forge confessed.

“And had you succeeded in killing my husband, do you not think that that would have hurt me?” A feminine voice spoke out and Forge leaped from his seat to face a very pissed off Storm, whose eyes glowed white and electrical currents crackled about her.

“Rory,” Forge gasped out and then looked to Logan for some kind of help but Logan only remained silent. “I…I’m sorry.”

“Yes, I am beginning to see that.” She concurred but her meaning was not the same as his.

“I don’t know what else I can say.”

“Say nothing, just leave.” Ororo commanded. “Leave this house now Forge or so help me I will be the one attempting murder, and I promise you I will not miss.” Forge gave a curt nod and with slumping shoulders and a bowed head he exited the room to go pack his things to leave. Once he was gone Ororo blinked away her powers and then stumbled a bit as if completely drained. She rested her weight on a nearby table as Logan swiftly moved to her.

“’Ro,”

“Do not touch me,” She spat out at Logan and then turned tear filled eyes to him from over her shoulder. “You are no better than he, you plotted to kill Scott, my brother, just so you could have Jean?” Logan inwardly cursed himself. He had known she was at the door listening and now realized that in his desire to out Forge to Ororo he had also ousted himself.

“That was before.” Logan tried to explain.

“Before what?”

“Before I fell in love with you ‘Ro. Marrying you changed me, I now know there’s no other woman in the world for me,” He proclaimed as he took a step towards her, but she stood upright and took two steps back away from him, as her face contorted in disgust.

“We have been married less than a month Logan,” Ororo whispered out as she bowed her head a bit and stared down at the gold band on her finger. Her heart could not even allow her a second to relish hearing Logan speak of loving her. “Tell me truthfully, when was the last time, the last plot to end Scott’s life?” Logan swallowed the lump in his throat and could fill the roar of despair that clawed at his insides. He feared the end was near, he believed in his heart and even his soul that his next words would cause him to lose Ororo, but the only alternative would be to lie and that was something it found he could never do with her. He respected her too much to lie to her.

“It was at the Geneva incident, between Magneto and the Brotherhood.” Logan said as he studied her every move to gauge her reaction. “The week before we went ta Vegas.” He added and then watched helplessly as Ororo’s shoulders shook and she let out the most sorrowful moan as she turned and rushed from the room. Logan didn’t follow her he knew it would only make the situation worse and so he did the only thing he knew to do, he roared, retracted his claws and then took out his rage on the contents of the study. Ororo paused just at the base of the stairs when she heard him cry out, and within seconds Scott, Jean, and Hank along with a few frightened students all filled the foyer.

“Ororo, what’s going on?” Scott asked and in reply Ororo rushed to him and enveloped him into a tight embrace. A stunned Scott instinctively returned her embrace; wrapping his arms protectively around the woman he had always thought of as his little sister. Hank and Jean stared on bewildered, as the roars from the study grew louder. Ororo moved back a bit from Scott’s arms and leaned in to place a kiss against his cheek and then she whispered.

“Beware the big bad wolf ‘and’ Little ‘Red’ Riding Hood brother.” Ororo said and then shot a quick accusatory glance at Jean before releasing Scott. Jean instantly sensed the hostility but before she could mentally question Ororo, Ororo opened her mind and sent Jean everything she had learned in the study. Jean clamped her hand to her mouth as her eyes widened in horror. Ororo quickly moved to Jean and pulled her into a hug and then whispered to her, “Yes dear sister and do not think you are innocent in this. You and I both know you encouraged Logan, enticed him, and drove him to his murderous actions.” Ororo then released Jean who was crying as she shook her head slightly in denial, even though she knew in her heart that Ororo’s words had been true.

“’RO!” Logan’s voice howled out her name and Ororo jump a bit in fright. Instead of going up to her room as she had intended she instead rushed to the back stairwell behind the main staircase which lead to the lower levels of the mansion. Logan stalked from the study. “’RO!”


“Logan, what’s happening?” Scott spoke out as he stepped to the wild man coming towards him and the others. Jean quickly moved to Scott and clutched at his arm to move him back and away from Logan.

“No Scott, please just leave him be.” Jean pleaded. She was afraid more afraid than she had ever been of Logan now that she knew what he was capable of, what he had done. Jean also realized in that moment that she had played part in a situation that could have cost her the man that she truly loved more than life itself. The thought sickened her and made her tighten her hold onto Scott. Logan stopped right where the others stood, he eyed them briefly with his mad, red eyes but he didn’t bother asking them where Ororo was. Logan figured just by Jean’s reaction, the way she looked at him as if he were an enemy, that the cat was out of the bag and so he didn’t expect them to help him. So he lifted his head and sniffed and then rushed to the backstairs.

Ororo ran at full speed as if death were right behind her. She finally reached the hanger just as Forge was loading onto his private jet.

“Forge!” She called out to him and he shot his head up to gaze at her in surprise as she rushed up the stairs of his jet.

“Ororo?” He spoke out in delight at seeing her but his elation quickly turned to concern when he noticed the state she was in; her eyes bloodshot and puffy from crying and her face blotchy. “What is it, what has happened?” He asked as he reached out and grasped her shoulders.

“You said that if I wanted to leave here with you, you would take me away.”

“Yes but wha…” She cut off his words with the shake of her head.

“No time to explain, please lets just go. Now…hurry.” Forge stepped back and allowed her entry onto the plane first and then he followed. One of the pilots closed the door and then turned for his instructions.

“Hurry Forge, please hurry,” Ororo spoke out as she sat and stared out one of the windows, while nervously shaking her legs and pulling at her bottom lip.

“Lets lift off.” Forge commanded and with a nod the pilot disappeared into the cockpit, and with in seconds and the ceiling of the hanger opened and the jet began to rise.




Logan had followed Ororo’s scent straight to the hanger. He had expected to find her stowed away in the Blackbird, wanting to find some place to be alone, but instead he found Forge’s jet lifting off. He could clearly see Ororo’s face in one of the windows and he rushed to where the jet hovered.

“Ororo!” Wolverine yelled out in rage and in agony. But all he could do was watch helplessly as the jet took to the sky.




“Ororo, please don’t take this the wrong way because I am happy you’re here, but what made you change your mind?” Forge asked as he moved to her and handed her some Juice, which she took.

“I have not changed my mind about anything. What you did is despicable and the sight of you disgusts me right now.” She hissed out and Forge looked taken aback by her words.

“But I thought…”

“You thought what…that I wanted to be with you?” Ororo asked as she chuckled a bit. “No, I have just decided to chose the lesser of two evils.” She said as she cast her gaze back out the window. “At least you were willing to kill for ‘me’.”





You must login () to review.