Login

Now, Was That So Hard? by Pari

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Table of Contents

ePub eBook



- Text Size +


He opened the door and then smiled wide at seeing the person standing there. Then his smile instantly morphed into a frown when she didn’t return his smile and just pushed past him with a leashed dog at her side. He turned to regard his new guest. “Well, that was a short playdate,” Luke Alvez said as he shut his front door and then followed her trek into his livingroom. He found her kneeling beside the oversized dog bed he kept near the fireplace. In the oversized bed lay his girl Roxy and he became filled with concern. “Penelope, what’s going on? What happened?” He asked as he moved to the opposite side of where Garcia was, he took a knee, and then began to stroke his girl.

“The vet thinks she has a cold,” Penelope replied as she gently stroked Roxy, who lay basking in the attention and touching of the two humans she loved the most Roxy’s head shot up and tilted while Garcia’s wide and excited eyes turned and locked onto the other full grown German Shepard who she had just noticed, who sat at attention next to the leg of a man seated on Luke’s sofa. “Oh, hi,” She greeted the dog exuberantly, and then she moved her eyes to the seated man, who sat smiling back at her. “He or a she?” She queried.

“Also, a she,” The stranger replied as he reached out and stroked his dog’s head. “Her name is Jackie, but I call her Jacks for short,” He said and Penelope’s smile widened.

“Well, hi there, Jacks,” She greeted the other dog and said dog left her master’s side, trotted over to where Garcia kneeled in her knee-length dress and licked her cheek. Jacks’ master had stood abruptly when his dog moved because she didn’t normally leave his side like that unless he commanded it. Even Luke tensed up and readied to grab Jacks if the dog made any threatening moves toward Garcia. For her part, Garcia simply giggled to the doggie kisses she was receiving in the moment as she reached up with her free hand and also stroked Jacks.

“Well, that’s never happened before,” The other man stated as he moved to stand closer to them. “She’s never just gone up and greeted anyone like that without me commanding it first,” He continued genuinely surprised.

“Oh, I think she just knows that I’m harmless and the biggest animal lover on the planet,” Garcia cooed out as she continued scratching and rubbing both dogs.

“It’s true,” Alvez concurred with a proud smile. “Roxy did the same exact thing when they first met, and she had never been that friendly with anyone before when first meeting them. And speaking of Roxy,” His face grew somber as he focused back onto what Garcia had stated when she walked in. “You said you took her to the vet and she has a cold?”

“Yes, she sneezed a couple of times and she really wasn’t very playful today like she normally is,” Garcia said. “You know how she is with Sergio chasing each other around my apartment for hours,” Luke nodded as he had seen it firsthand. “When those two get together Serg totally forgets he’s a senior cat, he turns into a kitten again. But not today. Today this one just laid in her bed with Sergio curled up with her. So, I took her to my vet and she said that it looks like our girl has a cold,” Garcia spoke around a pout. “Oh, and she really shouldn’t be too close to other dogs either,” She added this on as she looked up at the other man who stood there. “I’m Penelope, by the way.”

“Oh, sorry, Penelope, this is my friend Tyler Holland, we were Rangers together,” Luke finally made the introductions. “Tyler, this is my friend and co-worker Penelope Garcia, we work together at the FBI,” Tyler stepped closer and grasped Jacks’ collar in one hand and held out the other to Garcia, who grasped it and gave it a shake. Then Tyler stepped back and moved Jacks with him.

“I guess I should go,” Tyler offered.

“No,” Garcia spoke out as she moved to stand while she instinctively reached out for the hand, she knew Luke was already holding out to her. She grasped it and he steadied her as they both stood. “I didn’t mean to interrupt your visit. So, I should go. Here,” She then lifted the bag that Alvez hadn’t noticed she was holding and she handed it to him. “I bought her a little humidifier and some low-sodium chicken and beef broth. Just let her rest and make sure she gets plenty of fluids,” She said as she moved back to the front door with Luke right behind her. “It was nice to meet you Tyler and you too Jacks,” She bent over some as she spoke to the other dog, who gave a bark back in reply. She righted herself and then turned to stand nearly chest to chest with Luke. “And you call me if she needs anything or if she gets worse.”

“Absolutely,” Luke agreed with a nod of his head as he reached over and opened the door for her. It always warmed his heart to know that she truly loved his Roxy just as much as he did, and he knew if anything were to ever happen to him, Roxy would have someone to take good care of her.

“Even the smallest change I want to know about it and I don’t care what time it is,” She said as she pointed at him and he smiled kindly at her and nodded his head some more.

“I will, I promise.”

“We’ll walk you out,” Tyler spoke out as he began to leash Jacks.

“No, please stay and visit,” Garcia replied and she felt guilty for having barged in on them, had she known Luke had company she would have kept Roxy at her place and just kept him updated on her situation via texts and phone calls. “If Luke puts Roxy in the bedroom, I think it would be safe for Jacks.”

“Sure, I can do that,” Luke agreed but Tyler simply shook his head to the idea.

“No, it’s all right I still have some unpacking to do,” Tyler stated. “Jacks and I live here in town now, thus the reason I looked this guy up,” He nudged his head toward Luke. “Besides, Luke and I have already made plans to meet up this weekend to catch up more.

“Yeah,” Luke concurred. “We’ll, just meet up here at noon and I’ll show you all the sights. Well, at least all of my favorites,” He added with a smile as he extended his hand to his friend. Tyler shook his hand and then focused back onto Garcia.

“Shall we?” Tyler said this to Garcia and she gave a curt nod as she crossed the threshold with Tyler and Jacks right behind her.

“May I?” Garcia asked as she pointed at the leash, and Tyler simply smiled at her and handed her the handle of the leash. This caused the biggest, brightest smile of complete joy to spread across Garcia’s face. She then briefly turned and waved to Luke who stood in his doorway watching them with a smile as they made their way out of his ground level brownstone apartment.


A Couple Of Days Later



Luke had gone for his usual morning Job but this morning he had decided to allow Roxy to tag along. Normally, his morning runs were his time to himself, as he would take Roxy on her walks in the evening after work when he was not away. But even during those times he’d leave Roxy with Penelope and he knew she kept Roxy to her routines. He had made an exception this morning because Roxy had been down and laying around lethargic for a couple of days sick with her cold, and today she woke up and acted like her perky, happy self. He knew she was itching to get out, and so this found them circling the park after 30 minutes being out, as they headed back home. Today the team had a rare day off and he planned to spend this Thursday enjoying a football game. His favorite team, the Bills would be going up against the 49ers and he knew it was going to be a great game. He had even invited Tyler over to watch with him, and expected him around noon. This still gave him an hour to get home, shower, and set out snacks and beers. Luke was pulled from his thoughts by the jerking of a suddenly excited Roxy, who was barking and tugging him toward the park.

“Whoa, Roxy,” He spoke to her as he allowed her to lead him to where she wanted to go. After years of experiencing handling her on the job he knew by the way she was now acting that she was likely alerting him to a serious situation. When they finally made it up the small hill that led them up to the park from the jogger and biker trail, they had been running on, he made Roxy heed as he scanned the area for what would have triggered her. It hadn’t taken him long before his eyes had landed onto the Lunacorn coffee truck and the beautiful buxom blonde who stood there smiling sweetly as she grabbed the offered coffee. “Wow, you actually sensed ‘momma’, huh?” Luke spoke as he cast a proud smile down at the dog who still tugged to moved forward to go greet her. “All right, let’s go say good morning,” He said as he moved them forward. “She is gonna get a kick out of knowing you found her … What the fuck?” Luke instantly stopped in his tracks as he noticed a few feet away from Penelope stood Tyler and Jacks. Even Roxy now sat and watched the scene with her head cocked to the side in confusion. Penelope turned back to the window of the truck, grabbed a small cup of whipped cream, and then walked over and held it out to the other dog, who lapped at it eagerly. It was this that got a reaction to Roxy, as she leapt up, barked loud, and garnered the attention of Penelope, Tyler, and Jacks as they all turned to face Luke and Roxy standing several feet away. Penelope continued to smile as she waved at seeing Luke and Roxy, and Tyler waved and smiled in greeting as well. She then moved back to the coffee truck and spoke to the girl at the window. Within a few seconds she had been given another small cup of whipped cream. She then began to walk over to where Luke and Roxy still stood.

“Good morning you two,” She greeted as Tyler and Jacks stood just behind her. She then squatted a little and held out the treat to Roxy who cleaned it in nearly one swipe of her tongue. She then stood up again and looked right at Luke and it was then that she noticed the hardness in his eyes and his clenched jaw. It caused her smile to falter for a second as she pondered why he looked so mad.

“What are you guys doing here?” Luke questioned in what he hoped was an indifferent tone as he shifted his cold gaze from Penelope and locked them onto Tyler, who knew his friend well enough to know that the man standing before him was pissed. Though he had yet to gauge why.

“Oh, the other day when we left your place Tyler asked me if I knew of any good coffee shops nearby and I told him about Lunacorn, of course, because as you well know it’s my favorite…”

“That was two days ago,” Luke stated as he cut off her words and scowled up a little while he looked down at her. Roxy whimpered slightly as she sat between her ‘parents’ and swayed her head to look from one to the other. She could sense the tension between them and she didn’t like it.

“Yeah,” Garcia replied as she now scowled a little back at him as her smile completely left her face. “Well, you know their truck can pop up anywhere, but I know that today is always park day for them, if you can get here within a certain time. I happen to know a guy who knows a guy, and they always text me when they’re here. I texted Tyler and he said he was headed this way to meet up with you at noon, so he said he’d swing by.”

“And I am glad I did because you were not lying, this coffee is amazing,” Tyler spoke out as he took a sip of the coffee but kept his eyes trained onto his friend.

“Oh, so you guys met up for a planned date,” Luke said as he plastered on a faux half-smile while he nodded his head a little. “I’m sorry Roxy and I interrupted.”

“What, no,” Garcia yelped slightly as her eyes enlarged and she looked a little panicked. For his part Tyler stood silent with a small smirk on his lips as he finally realized what was going on with his friend. “We’re not on a date … well, I guess it is kind of a date in that we planned to meet up, but it’s uhm …” She turned from Luke to Tyler as she searched for the words that would appease Luke but not offend Tyler.

“This was just new friends meeting up for a moment,” Tyler interjected and Garcia inwardly sighed and cast him a smile of thanks. “But I had planned to ask you out on a real date before we left the park today, Penelope,” He continued and Garcia’s smile faded as she looked at Tyler in surprise while Luke glared at the man. “I mean, in the short time I’ve spent with you I can see that you’re very beautiful and sexy,” He said this as his eyes raked over her and she instantly blushed and Luke frown at what he perceived as disrespect and he really wanted to punch his friend. “You’re also kind, smart, and funny. And in my book, that’s the definition of the perfect woman. But I can see now that someone has already called dibs, and I don’t want to step on anybody’s toes. Especially, not my friend’s,” He said this has he extended his hand out to Luke. Luke nodded his thanks, grasped the hand, and gave it a firm shake. Then they stepped into their usual brotherly hug. “Let the lady know without any doubts just how you feel,” Tyler spoke low into Luke’s ear, and then pulled back and smacked Luke’s shoulder. “C’mon Jacks let’s go home,” He then moved them away.

“Wait, what about the game?” Luke called out now feeling like an ass for allowing his jealousy to get the better of him.

“Actually, can I take a raincheck? I really need to get started on unpacking, I’ve been putting it off,” Tyler replied as he looked back to his friend even as he continued to walk away. “Besides, you know I am a baseball fan and I never could get into football, though I appreciate you always trying to teach me about it. And, Penelope told me that she didn’t have any plans today, she’s free. So, you two should make it a date,” With that said, Tyler smiled at Luke, winked at Penelope, and then walked off. The remaining two people with a dog stood silently watching until Tyler disappeared out of the park. Then Penelope was the first to speak.

“Okay, what was all that macho bullshit you were just doing?” She looked up at Luke with an unamused mask on her face. “Luke, if you don’t want me befriending or hanging out with your ‘old’ friends just tell me,” She wrapped her arms around herself in a defensive manner and he watched her shamefully, because he knew he had caused her to feel insecure.

“It’s not that,” He said as he huffed out a heavy sigh and raked his left hand through his hair while he tightened the grip of his right hand onto Roxy’s leash.

“Are you sure? Because you acted the same way after you introduced me to Phil,” Penelope said carefully as she knew Phil’s death still affected Luke. “You always seemed bothered whenever I’d ask about him.”

“I mean, yes, I was … I am bothered and irritated but not at you. It’s because I knew that Phil liked you and now, I know that Tyler likes you too, and in a romantic sense. And I don’t like that,” He finally admitted.

“Oh, okay, I get it,” She bowed her head a little as she thought about what he was saying. “I guess it could get complicated if two of your friends started dating romantically. I mean, if things were to end badly that might leave you in a pickle, and feeling like you had to take a side.”

“No, that’s not what it is either,” Luke stated. “It’s not just because they’re my friends, Penelope,” He confessed gently to the woman who still stood in front of him and now stared up at him in wonderment. “It’s because I like you,” He said in a shaky voice and then held his breath when he noticed her frown up a little. And what he perceived as a rebuff was simply confusion.

“I know that, and I may give you a hard time on occasion,” She said this with a teasing smile and he smiled in return. “But I really like you too, Luke.”

“No, I mean … ,” He paused his words as he contemplated the right phrasing to use with her.

“What, what am I missing? Just say it. What do you mean, Luke?” She questioned and in reply he stepped into her space, grasped the sides of her face in both of his hands, and then leaned in and captured her lips and pulled her into a soft, savory kiss. After a few tantalizing seconds they pulled apart both breathless and slightly panting for air.

“That’s what I mean when I say I like you,” He whispered to her while he continued to hold her face and his gaze alternated between her eyes and her lips. “And that’s why I get bother by ‘any’ other man showing interest in you.”

“Oh my God, oh … my … God!” She exclaimed and Luke released her face and stepped back from her when he took in the way her brow furrowed, and he braced himself for her rejection. Then he flinched and frowned up when she smacked his arm hard which prompted Roxy to stand, move in front of Penelope and send a warning bark to Luke, and the man sent his dog a stunned look even as he rubbed at his now sore arm. “Geez, why was that so hard for you to say?”

“Wait, you knew already?” Luke asked her as a crooked smile struck his face and relief filled his body from the realization that she wasn’t rejecting him.

“No, well, yeah … I mean, I thought so sometimes, but then you asked someone else out and even moved her in with you. So, that made me think I was reading you completely wrong. Oh, and Phil,” She pointed an accusatory finger up at him. “I knew he was sending me vibes too but when I thought you might be my wing man and give me the intel you flat out told me he never even asked about me, you cockblocking asshole.”

“I’m sorry,” He replied as he shamefully bowed his head a bit, twisted his mouth, and rubbed his left hand across the back of his neck while he cautiously looked at her. “In all honesty, the whole Lisa thing was just a way to distract me from my growing feelings for you. She was the only other woman to spark any sort of interest with me. It was never as intense a feeling as I felt toward you, but I thought it could grow to be more. I told myself that you and I worked together and at the time I didn’t think it was wise to start a personal relationship with you. I was always afraid the line between keeping it professional and keeping it personal would blur. But when Phil told me he was interested in asking you out, and I got so jealous I honestly wanted to smash his face in, I realized that line had never really existed. It was also then that I realized that I was never going to ever feel for Lisa what I feel for you, and that caused our break up. I am really sorry for sending you mixed signals Penelope. I really like you, no I’m fucking crazy about you, and I hope you can forgive me and maybe we can start a more romantically exclusive relationship.”

“I forgive you, and yes we can, now give me 20 bucks,” She blurted out as she held out her left hand to him. In a millisecond his face held a look of nervousness, then complete joy and happiness, and now bafflement as he pulled out his wallet. He retrieved a 20-dollar bill and placed it in her hand. She held up the bill with a smile, gave it a snap, and then folded it an put it inside of the purse she had hung over her shoulder. “That’s for the bet you made me lose. Most of us bet you would cave and admit you were crazy about me in under two years, but Prentiss she said you were too stubborn so you’d likely reach your seven-year itch before finally confessing, so she was closest,” Luke chuckled at hearing this. He had noticed the others would make jokes and tease him about his relationship with Garcia, but he had never suspected he hadn’t fooled any of them about his true feelings and they were all taking bets on it. “And by the way,” Penelope placed her hands upon his forearms, lifted on her tip toes, and kissed him deeply. They both moaned in satisfaction before she released his lips. He had his arms wrapped around her now and he held her close; chest to chest. “I’m crazy about you too, Luke,” She said to him. Her words invoked a huge, toothy smile from him, which made her smile. He then pulled her back into another long, searing kiss which she welcomed. After a couple of minutes where she sat and watched them Roxy let out a low whine, laid down at their feet, and averted her eyes to the people walking about the park. She welcomed any distraction so she didn’t have to look at her mom and dad’s yucky kissing.



The End