Menu
RSS

Site Info
Members: 497
Series: 0
Stories: 263
Chapters: 2316
Word count: 5758652
Authors: 46
Reviews: 2241
Reviewers: 42
Newest Member: james83
 

Guests: 1
Members:

JoVan Videos


Chit-Chat
Boykin
08/24/23 02:31 pm
<a treatment/">Skin Whitening Injections</a> om/]thanks for this blog[/url]
AdmjPonia
07/14/22 05:15 pm
viagra 40 mg <a com/ ">sildenafil citrate australia</a> https://xtyviagrix.com/
WrrChaps
06/19/22 07:40 pm
comparison and contrast essay on the great gatsby <a ersion.com/ ">essay on rainwater harvesting in hindi language</a> .com/



[Reviews - 0] Printer Chapter or Story

ePub eBook Chapter or Story


This Has been viewed 1376 times



Click here to darken the background



Detective, I’m harmless.

John remembered her words and wanted to laugh. Harmless, my ass. Evangeline Williamson was many things…smart, beautiful, sexy…God was she sexy, but harmless she was not. And because of what she did--not that he was an innocent bystander by any means-- the previous evening, he was screwed. Not literally…although, after that kiss, it had been on my mind, and that was the problem.

His work still lay spread out before him, untouched. There were criminals and murderers to be caught, but the feel of her lips, the taste of her, and his damn photographic memory of the audacious red dress she wore, kept his mind and body racing

He had noticed her from the moment she walked in to the precinct for the first time a month ago, and like any red blooded male with a pulse and eyes in his head, her physical attributes were obvious and a welcome sight. With skin the color of golden bronze and hair like black silk, how could he not take a second, and third glance? But, she was just another beautiful woman, and John had been able to put it out of his mind…sort of. Until last night when she had laid one on him, forcing him to see her in a whole new light.

Where in the hell did she learn to kiss like that?

No, no, he was not going to go there. She was off limits…way off limits. And just to be sure he never forgot the one hundred and one reasons why that kiss was a mistake, he began tabulating them in his mind…

One, she was young enough to be…well, not that young. But at twenty-three, she was young enough that they would certainly raise a few eyebrows if anything ever really happened between them. She had just finished her second year of law school at U Penn, and was interning in the public defender’s office. And although she carried herself with amazing poise and confidence, the bottom line was she was a scant two years past the legal age of maturity, and John McBain was not the type of man to take advantage of a young woman.

Although, after that kiss….No, no, she was too young or he, at thirty-six, was too damn old. Either way, reason one was a biggie. He could just imagine what her family would say about that. Which led nicely to reason number two, John thought with a sigh…

Nora. Of all the people in this whole damn town for Evangeline to be related to, she just had to be the District Attorney’s god-daughter. Which by extension made her related to Nora’s husband, Bo Buchanan, the police commissioner…his boss!! He could see that conversation now…

Hey, Bo. Yeah I can’t get Nora’s god-daughter off my mind. I’m thinking about the way she tasted. Like peaches. How do I know? Well, funny thing, I had my tongue down her throat last night. And here’s the thing, I wouldn’t mind tasting and touching again….Oh, I’m fired.

Nora on the other hand might have been a little more understanding about his current predicament. John got along great with her, often indulging in greasy cheeseburgers and caffeine fixes together. Yeah, Nora would have made a great ally. She seemed supportive of Evangeline, and had even helped her get her internship. But John’s friendship with Nora only went so far, and there was absolutely no way, she would overlook reason number three…

Natalie. Natalie Balsam Buchanan Vega…and for the next few weeks, McBain. Even though his divorce was practically a done deal, with the final papers currently before the judge, in the eyes of the law…and Nora”if she knew he was having these thoughts about Evangeline”he was still a married man.

But it wasn’t just the law that still considered him Natalie’s husband, his soon-to-be-ex wife, seemed to think so too. Even though he had served her with papers over year ago, she had fought it tooth and nail. Now, he was so close to the end of this debacle of a marriage. He had thought that being with someone he didn’t love, would save him from the hurt he felt when he lost Caitlin.

Natalie had made herself so available, so easy, never pushing or asking questions. He never had to deny that he loved her, because she simply never asked, and let herself be content with assuming he did. She was willing to take whatever little she could get, the only problem was, John wasn’t willing to give even that to her. He realized that having no one in his life, was better than having the wrong person. He had finally, come to his senses, but apparently it was too late. Natalie liked being Mrs. John McBain and she wasn’t giving that up with out a fight.

God, why hadn’t he listened to Mikey, when he told him that he and Natalie would be a train wreck? Mikey…

John looked up at the sound of a knock on his office door.

Speak of the devil…

“What are doing here, Mikey?”

“Hey bro, what’s up?” Michael walked in taking a seat across from his brother. “How was the awards ceremony after I left last night?”

John flinched at the question. “Good.” He mumbled, shuffling files, trying his hardest to avoid his brother’s eyes.

Across from him sat the biggest reason why Evangeline Williamson was off limits. Why there would never be a repeat of that kiss that had rocked his world and awakened every raging hormone inside of him. Why no matter, how sexy she was, or how smart, and funny, and every other damn thing all rolled in to one, he would forget about their “spontaneous” kiss and make damn sure she forgot about it too.

The more John thought about it, the more angry he became with her. What kind of games was this girl playing? What the hell was she doing kissing anyone, when…

Michael continued to speak, unaware of John’s thoughts. “Sorry I had to run off like that, right before your award and everything. There was a huge collision on the interstate, and the E.R. was insane when I got there.” John tried to concentrate on what his brother was saying, but his guilt was battling with his anger at and desire for his little brother’s girlfriend. “Glad my girl was there to keep you company.”

His girl. She was Michael’s girl. John vowed then and there to never let his brother know just what kind of company she had been the previous evening. It was one kiss. That’s where it started and where it would end. Nothing and no one was more important than his relationship with his brother. No one.

He just hoped he could make his body cooperate with his mind.