Menu
RSS

Site Info
Members: 497
Series: 0
Stories: 263
Chapters: 2316
Word count: 5758652
Authors: 46
Reviews: 2241
Reviewers: 42
Newest Member: james83
 

Guests: 2
Members:

JoVan Videos


Chit-Chat
Boykin
08/24/23 02:31 pm
<a treatment/">Skin Whitening Injections</a> om/]thanks for this blog[/url]
AdmjPonia
07/14/22 05:15 pm
viagra 40 mg <a com/ ">sildenafil citrate australia</a> https://xtyviagrix.com/
WrrChaps
06/19/22 07:40 pm
comparison and contrast essay on the great gatsby <a ersion.com/ ">essay on rainwater harvesting in hindi language</a> .com/



[Reviews - 0] Printer Chapter or Story

ePub eBook Chapter or Story


This Has been viewed 2717 times



Click here to darken the background



Todd shuffled down the dark gray corridor in a tangerine orange jumpsuit, his hands and feet shackled with a long chain connecting them both, made his approach sluggish. He kept his head down as the guard pulled him along giving everyone the sad impression of him being a lost soul

A man with no home, family or honor to make him feel as if his life was worth saving. She stared at him and her heart broke all over again. He was an innocent man and she would fight for him even if he wouldn’t fight for himself.

“Ms. Williamson, we can give you five minutes then he will need to be escorted to the bus transport for his flight.”

“Oh I have more time than that warden” she said passing the court order to accompany her client the maximum security prison for his execution. Todd being physically attacked by the inmates while the guards watched gave her the ammunition she needed to get a judges signature. She planned to use every minute on this flight to convince Todd to fight and let her petition for an appeal.

The warden looked over the court order and then back at her. She stood before him confident and determined. Wearing a black wrap dress with matching black knee boots, her three quarter inch coat stopped at the hem of her dress and she wore her hair shiny, parted down the middle, scooped behind her left ear show cased the gleam from her diamond stud. He always thought she should be a runway model as oppose to defender of creeps like this.

“Ms. Williamson, I don’t think you understand what you’re asking…”

Evangeline looked past him at Todd. His blonde bang hanging over into his face shielded the bruises and despair he wore. “Oh I know what I’m doing, I’m also calling the governors office about the treatment of the prisoners here, I hold you responsible warden for the abuse my client suffered on your watch.” She said flashing the warden a challenging smile.

Before Warden Glenn could respond his cell phone buzzed on his hip. “Excuse me..” he said reaching for it, angered by her threat. Evangeline watched holding her briefcase as he took the call. She wanted to get this over with.

“McBain….where are you?” he said frowning.

Evangeline’s heart went to her throat. She hadn’t spoken to John in days and she sure as hell didn’t know he was supposed to be flying with Todd. She thought he was suspended. Confused she listened closely to the Warden.

Warden Glenn looked over to Todd and his guard “Well, that can’t be helped. I’ll have Pete fly with him. Yes, it’s fine. Good luck, sounds like a long night.” Attaching the phone back to his hip, the warden called out to the other officer standing off to the left of the room. “Pete, you will be going with Mr. Manning and…” he turned and looked at Evangeline “Ms. Williamson on this one. McBain is a no show.”

Evangeline raised an eyebrow confused “John McBain was supposed to be an escort?”

“Yes, but appears there’s been some type of major pile up on Hwy 92 because of the snow storm, he won’t be making it.”

“So he has his badge back” she mumbled looking away. She was happy for him. Maybe this meant that he was actually getting the help that he needed. She hoped so, no matter what she loved him and wanted him whole.

“Well, you need to be going if you’re going to fly out before the storm blows in.” The warden said walking toward Todd. Evangeline followed him looking at her friend whom she desperately wanted to save. Todd kept his head bowed barely acknowledging their approach. He was digesting the fact that the woman he’d die for, never have the faith in the love they shared. It broke his heart, what was left of it.

“Take them out back to the transport. Make sure he remains shackled at all times. Also make sure Ms. Williamson has everything she needs” he said shooting her a sideways glance that warmed her cheeks. She never got used to the open flirtation of the men in this prison. It was actually quite creepy. Ignoring his sly grin she walked over to Todd.

“Hey, you okay?”

Todd looked up his green eyes dark and distant “Hey you..” he said softly

Evangeline smiled “I’m coming along for the ride.”

“Lucky you…” he said smirking, then looked away.

The guard pulled his arm roughly making him stumble backward. He recovered and shuffled along. Evangeline started to follow, but before she did she turned back and looked at the warden. “He’s innocent!” she said to smug look he was flashing her.

The warden gave her a crooked smile “Sure he is! Too bad old sparky will fry his ass anyway.”

“We’ll see about that!” she hissed turning and leave.

The warden watched her breeze out her long hair and open coat flowing behind her. He had to shake his head in wonder at the devotion she showed for her clients, first that Vega looser now this. He wondered how far her passions really flowed and how many men actually had the pleasure of touching that flame. “McBain’s an idiot” he chuckled turning to leave.

~

John got out of the squad car to see one of his officers lighting flares laying them in the street. The snow was falling harder and he pulled his London Fog trench tighter to him walking toward the four car pile up. A firemen approached him, dressed in a tan and reflective yellow uniform with a large helmet. “Lt. McBain”

John stood with his gloved hands in his pockets, staring at the other firemen using the jaws of life to ply what looked to be a teenage Asian girl from the folded up Maxima, jammed under the hood of a black SUV. The snow was falling harder now and he knew this was a bad sign.

“Any casualties?” he asked hoping the girl was okay.

“Yes sir, two so far.” The fireman said shaking his head.

“Damn…”

“It’s the Noreaster blowing in, this storm is supposed to be the worst this season. I think its going to be a long night”

John nodded “Yeah….a long night” he said with a sullen look on his face. He thought getting his badge back would quell what plagued him. But he felt just as empty inside today as any other. He was just lost.

~

Evangeline sat in the front of the police van next to the officer, driving her friend and client to meet his fate. She looked back through the gated cover at Todd who was staring off blankly into space, seated next to an officer as well. Todd feeling her eyes on him looked over at her and winked. She smiled weakly then turned back around.

The snow was just starting to fall, watching the crystallized flakes flying past as the sped up the highway, it occurred to her that today was Valentines Day. Last year this time she was sitting in the warmth of Rhodi’s, trying to convince the man that she loved that he needed to let her in.

“All is fair in Love…” she mumbled under her breath shaking her head sadly. Oh how things had changed. She now filled the emptiness by helping someone that was even more desperate than she was. It kept her from feeling so lost.

Smiling lightly hearing the song she sang a year ago playing softly in her head she looked out the window at the dark starless sky and wondered where he was. Would he spend the night with Natalie tonight? Sighing she pushed back into the leather of her passenger seat and forced his crooked sly smile with sparkling gemmed eyes from her mind. They weren’t lovers and barely friends. She needed to focus on someone that needed her, that’s why she was here after all.

Arriving at the landing strip she could see the white Cessna 550 state issued plane with the black wing tips sitting on the tarmac waiting for them. A chill went through her body at the sight of the plane and she looked at it confused by her reaction. She wasn’t afraid of flying. Why did she feel a sense of foreboding now? Shaking it off she figured her dread was actually because of Todd. There was a chance that she may not save his life, this could be his last flight.

The officer pulled the van up along side of it and threw it in park. Evangeline grabbed her purse and briefcase sucking in a deep breath before stepping out into the snow. She looked at who she assumed was the pilot standing on the outside of it, dressed in a puffy black jacket with a cap pulled down over the front of his face.

Todd looked up at the snow falling “Are we going to fly in this?” he asked confused.
Evangeline walked over closer to him. “The news said the blizzard shouldn’t be here until tomorrow” she said reaching and touching his back despite the fact that contact between the two of them wasn’t allowed.

Todd looked over at her, her head crowned with the fallen snowflakes and smiled. “Why are you here Evangeline?”

“To talk some sense into you of course” she said smiling sassily. He chuckled shaking his head “You don’t give up do you?”

“No….and before this flight is over, neither will you!”

The officer came back over “Okay we got clearance let’s go” he said to the officer standing next to Todd.

Evangeline nodded following him to the small plane. Stepping up the tiny ladder she climbed in. Todd struggled to get up the steps with his chains. Officer Pete pushed to hurry him along and he finally got up through the hatch making it to the seats across from Evangeline.

The pilot climbed in, pulling up the ladder and closing the hatch. He looked back at his passengers and smiled from under the cape pulled down his face. “It’s a two hour flight, boys and girls. There is a bathroom in the back of the plane but you are to remain seated when the seatbelt light is on” he said grinning looking at Todd who he could tell wouldn’t be going anywhere.

“Anyway there are drinks over in the side compartment here and here” he pointed for Evangeline. Tipping his cap he went back to the front of the plane.

Evangeline rolled her eyes then looked over to Todd who was on the other side of the officer. “Is it possible I could sit next to him?” she asked

Officer Pete looked at her and frowned “No”

“Look we’re going to be 30,000.00 feet in the air with you at our sides. I’m his attorney, I need to speak with him.”

“I said NO!” the officer snapped again then leaned back in his chair.

Todd looked over “Don’t worry Van, Deputy Doodie here’s terrified that we will take over and throw his cranky butt out when he least expects it, ain’t that right sheriff?”

“Watch it Manning, not in the mood for your sarcasm and I won’t listen to it on this flight!” Pete snapped throwing his arm back and forcing Todd back into his seat with a swift blow to the chest.

Evangeline sucked in her breath shaking her head as she felt the airplane race down the runway. His life did matter and she would prove it.

~

The nurse for the trauma unit sat at her desk going through her emails. She wasn’t allowed books or magazines for the evening shift, so to pass the time so she normally just surfed the internet. Her floor was the wing for the comatose patients; she was position in the middle of the circular desk surrounded by all kinds of monitoring equipment for each room.

Signing onto her soap opera message board she heard a soft ringing chime behind her. Turning around she saw the light blinking for patient in room 453 C. Nurse Bailey stared at it confused. That was Nora Buchanan’s room.
~

John got back in to his car and radioed in the additional officers he would need to deal with the traffic jam on the interstate, the pile up was causing major congestion issues and the storm coming down upon them meant people would be trapped on the highway for hours.

Dispatch Mavis came on taking the information. John sat back in the driver seat listening to her repeat what he said. Once confirmed he signed off and reached to start his car to move it off the road, they needed to clear some of the way. The radio came blaring on.


Hey there lovers, that’s right you know what tonight is. It’s the night for romance, giving you lovebirds the chance to show the one you love how special they are to you. It’s Valentines Night and this is DJ Magic Man on your dial bringing you tunes to make you swoon. So grab that special lady fellas and hold her close this one’s for you….

All is fair in love…..Love's a crazy game…..Two people vow to stay…..In love as one they say……But all is changed with time……The future no one can see……The road you leave behind……Ahead lies mystery……..But all is fair in love…….I had to go away….A writer takes his pen……To write the words again…..That all in love is fair….

John looked down at the illuminated dials of the radio feeling his heart accelerate. Gripping the steering wheel he saw her face, singing to him a year ago tonight. He’d all but forgot it was Valentines Day.

Now she was out there somewhere, alone thinking he didn’t care. Reaching for the dial he turned off the song and freed himself from the desperate need to reach out to her. She was better off wherever she was tonight, away from him.

~

Evangeline went through the folder on her lap checking out the case’s she compiled to try to find a precedent that Todd could use. She’d hadn’t found anything in his case to challenge the verdict on. Someone was setting him up and the only person she could think capable of it was dead. “Jesus” she moaned shaking her head.

Leaning back she closed her eyes and rotated her neck from side to side to work out the cramping she was beginning to feel. Suddenly her eyes popped open in shock as the plane dropped at least a 1000 feet. Her stomach leaped into her throat and she let go of the folder gripping both arms of her seat.

Her body shook violently, and she looked up to see everything vibrating as if the turbulence was going tear the airplane apart. Hearing a grinding noise off the right side of the wing, she turned to look out the tiny window next to her. To her horror she saw sparks flying out into the snowing night from the engine under the wing.

“What the hell is going on!” Todd exclaimed.

Evangeline stared in disbelief, the plane’s engine looked to be malfunctioning, how on earth could that be? Just then the pilot came on “We’re experiencing some difficulties right now and will be turning around to head back to the airp….”

Before he could finished the plane shook again violently and Evangeline’s hair was tossed over her face as her body flew forward. If she wasn’t wearing a seatbelt she would have been propelled across the plane. The officer on the side of Todd screamed out in shock.

She was too terrified to speak. To afraid to open her eyes, feeling the plane dip as if going into a nose dive. “Oh jesus…” she whimpered letting tears of terror trail down her face.

Todd unable to move his hands much because of the cuffs, looked to his right to see her bent over, her long black hair covering her face blocking it from his view “Evangeline! Put your head between you knees sweetie” he called out wanting to protect her from what he knew could ultimately mean the death of them both.

The plane continued in the nose dive and all of them were tossed forward again as the pressure in the cabin was lost and they struggled to breathe.

“EVANGELINE!! Put your head between your knees now!” Todd shouted at her over the loud sound of the malfunctioning engine. Evangeline turned her head to look over at him, and he could see the tears mixed with fright in her eyes, between the long strands blocking her face.

She put her head between her knees and the officer undid his seatbelt. “Fuck this!” he snapped rushing to the cockpit, being tossed to the left and right as the plane still shook spinning downward. He had to find out what was going on.

To his horror the last turbulent drop caused the pilot to hit his head, knocking him out. Officer Pete ran to the front, grabbing the steering wheel to pull the plane back up from the nose dive.

The pilot’s heavy unconscious body was bent over the controls making it difficult to maneuver. Pete could see they were headed directly into Lantana Mountain. Pulling the pilot loose of his constraints he climbed in and pulled the steering gear upward. The plane struggling began to come up some, but not enough and Pete screamed as he saw that they were headed into a dense forested side of the mountain.

Evangeline heard Pete’s screams and began to cry. She heard Todd calling out to her but all she could do was pray. She was going to die, the realization of that made her paralyzed with fear. Todd knelt over trying to brace himself for impact, he asked god that he spare her, she didn’t deserve to die because she wanted to help him.

The plane crashed through large redwood trees breaking off both wings. Both Todd and Evangeline were hurled back into their seats as a loud thunderous boom alerted them that the undercarriage of the plane was being pealed away.

Evangeline was tossed violently from side to side and she opened her eyes to see the seat in front of her ripping off, as the right side of the plane imploded with the long branches of a large trees crashing through sending sparks, debris and snow flying all around her. Her hair blowing back away from her face, revealed the sure terror of the moment. Screaming as loud as she could, something she didn’t see clearly now airborne in the plane, smacked her on the side of her head forcing her into darkness. She blacked out immediately.

~

Nurse Bailey rushed down the hall to hear screams from a patient that barely moved in over five months. Coming to the room she pushed the door open to see Nora sitting up screaming to the top of her lungs.

Shocked by the sight of her she stood there frozen at first, not sure what she was witnessing. Nora screaming started to snatch out the tubes in her arms and head. The nurse fearing she would hurt herself found her legs and rushed inside trying to restrain her, as two other orderlies came rushing in.

“It’s okay…calm down, you’re safe!”
“No!!” Nora screamed crying out loudly in a hoarse voice. Her auburn hair now longer to her shoulder flew wildly around her face.

The nurse forced her back down to the bed “It’s okay really….please, calm down!” she looked up at a nurse who appeared in the door. “Page Dr. Miller, now!” she shouted at her.

Nora fought them trying to get loose. “No!! Evangeline!! You have to help her! Oh god Evangeline!” she shouted.

The nurse looked at her confused not understanding what she meant. Nora screams turned to whimpers as she squirmed crying, while the orderlies tied her down to the bed for her own protection. She opened her eyes and they immediately rolled into her head as her body convulsed into seizures. Dr. Truman and Miller ran into the room.

Paige barked off an order of a dosage to combat the seizure to a nurse nearby who ran out to get it. Nora’s body stiffened and shook violently under her seizure and Dr Truman tilted her head back inserting a cotton bit into her mouth to keep her from biting down on her tongue. The nurse returned within seconds passing Dr. Miller the requested dosage in a syringe.

“Get the restraints off her and roll her over to her side” Paige snapped after plunging the syringe into Nora’s veins.

The two orderlies did as she instructed and Nora violent shakes began to subside. Nurse Bailey wiped the sweat from her brow exhausted by the episode. Dr. Truman looked at her confused. “What happened?”

“She woke up!”

Dr. Miller gasped at the implication “She what?”

“I’m telling you she sat up in bed and screamed. Said something about save Evangeline, before the seizure. I swear.”

Paige looked at Nora who was sweating breathing shallowly with her eyes closed from the medicine. “Dear god…she woke up?”

~

Todd opened his eyes to the smell of sulfur and the screams of the officer that guarded him earlier now trapped in the cockpit. Todd was thrown in his seat to the back of the plane still strapped down but lying on his side. The roof of the plane was half off and snow was falling inside.

“Evangeline!” he called out, unable to see clearly from the blood running into his eyes. He had a pain above his brow indicating he must be cut. “Evangeline!”

“Help Me!!” the officer up front screamed, in response to Todd’s yelling for her.

Todd reached for the lock on his seatbelt struggling to push the button to free him. He didn’t hear or see her and his panic had his hands shaking. Finding the release finally he undid it letting out a sigh of relief. “Evangeline!” he called out again desperate to make sense of all the wreckage around him.

He scanned the over turned passenger seats and blocks of plane now covered in show from the storm falling inside the gaping holes in the plane. He didn’t see her anywhere. Where the hell was she?

Falling over to his side still shackled between his hands and feet he coughed as the pungent order of sulfur and smoke filled his lungs. His eyes began to burn with tears as the black smoke assaulted his senses. He began to inch across the floor staying low, searching everything he passed. “Evangeline, baby say something” he moaned

Straining he looked forward to see the heel of a black boot, sticking out awkwardly from underneath two overturned seats.

It was her leg and the only thing he could see from the debris she was buried under. “Sweet Jesus no!! EVANGELINE!” he screamed crawling desperate to get to her.

~

“Lt. McBain…” The fireman called out walking toward John in the snow who was helping the other officers get the cars past the accident.

John turned and looked at him. “What is it?”

“LPD on the radio sir, they need to speak to you.”

John nodded turning on his heel going to his squad car. Opening the door he got inside with his legs still hanging out of the door into the snow.

“McBain here over….”

“Lt, the commissioner needs you here immediately…over”

John frowned “Got a situation here, tell Bo I…”

“John, its Bo. Get back to the station now! That’s an order. We…we ummm got a situation”

John frowned “What’s going on Bo?”

“Just get here…over!”

John hung up. Dr. C had been busting his chops and Bo was allowing it. Now they were pulling him back in. He was sick to death of the games this damn doctor played with his life. “Damn!” he grimaced climbing into his squad car all the way and closing the door. Starting it he sped up the emergency exit, driving past the accident. Swiftly and expertly on the icy road he made a u-turn flashing his lights, as he crossed over the snowy medium jumping in traffic that flowed in the opposite direction.

“This better be damn good!” he mumbled!

written by tarskeewee08



[Contribute to Round Robin]