Menu
RSS

Site Info
Members: 497
Series: 0
Stories: 263
Chapters: 2316
Word count: 5758652
Authors: 46
Reviews: 2241
Reviewers: 42
Newest Member: james83
 

Guests: 1
Members:

JoVan Videos


Chit-Chat
Boykin
08/24/23 02:31 pm
<a treatment/">Skin Whitening Injections</a> om/]thanks for this blog[/url]
AdmjPonia
07/14/22 05:15 pm
viagra 40 mg <a com/ ">sildenafil citrate australia</a> https://xtyviagrix.com/
WrrChaps
06/19/22 07:40 pm
comparison and contrast essay on the great gatsby <a ersion.com/ ">essay on rainwater harvesting in hindi language</a> .com/



[Reviews - 0] Printer Chapter or Story

ePub eBook Chapter or Story


This Has been viewed 1659 times



Click here to darken the background



Evangeline pushed open the door to their brownstone dropping all of her things on the ground in a huff as she stepped into the foyer. Pulling her umbrella into the house she shook it off and slid her trench coat off hanging it on the coat rack. She shook her head her hair sprinkled with water from the storm outside. She blew out a soft sigh and closed her eyes a she ran her hands through her hair. It was a long morning and she had stopped home before heading to the hospital to do her rounds as well as perform a simple scar tissue removal on a nine year old girl.

Picking up the mail she walked through the foyer going through it and opening the bills that had accumulated over the past two days. Walking across the floor she nearly twisted her ankle on Will’s tennis shoes. Looking down she scowled at his lack of responsibility, and respect.

“WILLIAM CHARLES MCBAIN!” She yelled at the top of her lungs as she threw the mail on the roll top desk that sat along the wall of the hallway. He was always leaving his shoes in the middle of the floor instead of the shoe rack where they belonged.

Will came down the stairs listening to his MP3 player his head bouncing back and forth as he read his latest Rolling Stones Magazine. He looked up at his mom and shot her a wink and a smile, “Hey ma…”

Will was the spitting image of Michael, John’s brother just with a really deep tan. When Eve saw him the first time after he was born she nearly passed out. His eyes were Michael’s, his hair color was Michael’s it was amazing the likeness that he shared with his Uncle. At times Eve had a hard time being around him because of the likeness.

Evangeline scowled at her youngest son as she kicked his shoe and walked over to him. Yanking the ear buds out of his ears he looked up at her stunned, “What?”
“What? What are you talking about What?” She said annoyed pointing back at his shoes that were in the middle of the hallway, “I nearly killed myself Will.”

“Sorry…” he said rolling his eyes and walking around her to pick them up and put them away. Evangeline shook her head as she pulled out her Blackberry answering an Email from the Chief of Surgery at Presbyterian Hospital. She had privileges there as well as several other local New York City hospitals. She rolled her neck walking into the kitchen and grabbing a bottle of water.

She pulled up a stool at the island and brought up the computer that was stationery in the kitchen. She ran through her emails and quickly paid the bills as Will came into the kitchen his head bouncing and bobbing like crazy. Will looked up at his mom and walked over to her hugging her from behind and kissing her cheek. She rubbed his hands and kissed his cheek back, “Sorry Ma…” he said softly kissing her again.

“Please Will be more careful.”
“I will… I promise!” he said grabbing a soda from the fridge.
“Honestly, how many is that today?” She asked stopping him before he opened it.
“It’s the first one! I swear!” he said holding up the soda in his hands. Evangeline eyed him trying to read her youngest child and smiled as he lowered his hands and opened the soda. “I believe you.”
“Thanks!” He pulled up a stool across from her as he continued to flip through the magazine and drink his soda.
“Will can you pause that for a minute.” She said tapping on the counter top and getting his attention.
He pulled his ear buds from his ears and paused his MP3 player. “What’s up?”
She laughed, they were still using that vernacular after twenty years.

“I need you to go with Roberto to pick up your sister from the airport.”
“Oh come on! You can’t be serious mom, no…” he whined.
“I know I’m asking for a kidney here Will, but come on you’re not doing anything tonight.”
“How you know?”
“I know because there is nothing on the kitchen calendar.” She said nodding backwards behind her to the massive kitchen calendar that covered half of a wall of their kitchen.

After they had Lily and Michael and they got involved into all kinds of activities this was the only way to keep their schedule clear and understandable. Then when the twins came six years after Michael was born the schedule became even more important. This was how they knew where, when, and with whom their kids would be with.

“Since I know you have nothing, I want you to pick Seanna up from the airport with Roberto.”
“The limo?”
She looked up at him from paying the bills and rolled her eyes, “Sure, you two can ride in style tonight. But it’s to the airport and back! No detours, you got me.”
“Oh come on mom! Please, it’s so rare we get to ride in the limo unless it’s to one of Dad’s shows….Let’s us have a little fun. It’s been forever since Sea and I have been together.”
“That’s the problem sweetie.” She said reaching across the counter and patting his hand, “Two sixteen year olds’ in a limo is not a good combination.” She winked and turned back to the bills.

“Fine, be that way I don’t care!” he shot.
She laughed softly, that was always his line when he didn’t get his way. He may be the baby of the family but since he was the only one in the home he still had strict rules to follow. Seanna Grace his older by two minutes she always reminds everyone, was the family athlete. She was in Colorado at the Olympic training sight for snowboarders and skiers.

She had been gone for the school year but was home for a few weeks too spend time together with her family. “That’s my boy…You know Sea will be so excited to see you. I’ll be home late and you’re dad will be home tomorrow.”
“Dad’s home now.” He stated nonchalantly.
Evangeline narrowed her eyes and looked at Will confused. “What?”
“Yeah he came home earlier. We actually pulled up at the same time when I got out of school early for a teacher work day.”
She stared at him still confused. John wasn’t supposed to be home from Chicago until tomorrow night. She rose from the counter and smiled, “Be ready in a half hour. Roberto will be here to pick you up and then head to the airport.”
“What about the limo and taking it around?”
“Be home by ten, it’s still a school night hun…” She said walking up the stairs heading to her bedroom.

Walking down the hallway she pushed open the door to see John sitting in the chaise lounge staring out the window a sketch pad in his lap, “Hey stranger…” She said seductively resting on the door jam.

John turned around placing his feet on the ground and the sketch book next to him, “Hey…” he said softly. Evangeline stared at him confused, he looked very sullen and exhausted.
“What are you doing home?”
He didn’t say anything but waved her over and opened his arms to her. Evangeline stopped in the circle of his open arms and rested her arms around his neck. John hugged her pushing his face against her stomach and gently rubbing her butt, “I missed you…” he said softly

Evangeline stood in his embrace stunned by his reaction, her heart started to race as she felt there was something terribly wrong. “What’s going on, why are you home so soon? I thought you were staying for the opening tonight.”
John said nothing as he continued to run his fingers up and down her lower back, his face pressed against her stomach inhaling her soft scent.

After being together for nearly thirty years, from high school till now he never tired of the way she felt in his arms, the way she smelled. When she was gone on medical trips he would sleep on her side of the bed so it felt like she was still there. “I just need you okay.” He said looking up at her with sad puppy dog eyes.

Evangeline nodded as he pulled her down to the lounge putting her in between his legs. Evangeline turned over resting against his chest, the side of her face falling and rising with his breath. She said nothing just holding him, after all this time she knew her man and this was what he needed right now. He would talk when he was ready.

“What do you have to do tonight?” he asked holding her and running his fingers through her hair.
“I have a surgery tonight, then rounds, and I’m also on call down in the ER as well…” she said looking up at him with a straight face, “Is there something you need?”
“No…” He shook his head and closed his eyes placing his chin on top of hers and kissed the top of her head.

“Are you sure, I’m sure I can change some things around.”
“No you’re patients need you, I’m fine…” he squeezed her and rose up slowly as Evangeline moved away sitting on the foot of the chaise lounge. She pushed her hands through her hair and straightened her suit jacket. She gave him a small smile staring at him and saw the hint of tears in his eyes. “Baby…”

John turned his head looking at her and smiled back, “Yeah?”
“Talk to me, what’s going on…You’re scaring me here.”
John shook his head and leaned forward kissing her lips softly he caressed the side of her face as their foreheads were pushed against each other, “It’s okay…nothing to be scared of.”
“Don’t lie to me John.”
“I’m not lying, I’ve never lied to you baby….Just trust me here okay, right now nothing is wrong.”
“Right now? Meaning that there either was or there ill be something wrong.” She countered pushing him away.

John reached out grabbing her wrist and pulled her to him staring her dead in the eyes, “Believe me when I tell you right now there is nothing for you to worry about. I don’t want you stressed out right now, you have surgery in a few hours.”
She shook her head as he loosened his grip on her wrist and sat back from her penetrating stare, “I’m fine…”

Evangeline stood up not saying another word as she headed to the closet to change into a pant suit. It was much easier to do rounds in that then a skirt, blouse and jacket. He pulled her hair up reapplying her makeup and caught John staring at her in the mirror.

Cutting her eyes from him she continued to reapply her makeup and redoing her hair, “Seanna’s coming home tonight. I’m having Will pick her up from the airport.”

He smiled, his baby girl was coming home. They fought for days on whether or not to send her to the training camp. Evangeline didn’t want to part with her little girl, she’d had enough of that with Lily and Michael. She just wanted her kids home for a long time but all of them were too bright for their own good.

The one that stayed did so by choice. Both John and Evangeline know that Will is a genius but he refuses to do anything to prove it. His grades are average but his aptitude for business is fantastic. Thomas even consults him on occasion for business advice.

“She is?” he said lighting up.
“She is…It was going to be a surprise, but since you’re home…” Evangeline turned around resting against her vanity as she played with her locket smiling at him.

John rose without a statement from her, for his help and moved across the room. He took the locket from her hands and turned her body around so she faced the mirror. “Thank you for that…” he said softly as Evangeline pulled her hair from around her neck.
“I know how much you miss her, I do too baby…Took a lot of convincing to get her snowboarding butt back here.” Evangeline said chuckling.
John laughed softly as he hooked the locket and then kissed the back of her neck. Running his hands along her shoulders and over her arms he grabbed her hips pulling her into him, “I really have missed you.” He said burying his face in her hair.
“Don’t you dare…that won’t work! You’re hiding something from me…” She said elbowing him in the gut.

John laughed as he grabbed his stomach and stumbled backwards. “Oh come on Van!”
“Don’t Van me…it aint gonna to work as your son would say.”
John shook his head and then moved closer to her placing both of his hands on either side of her. He was still devilishly handsome as when she first laid eyes on him. His hair had small strands of gray but it wasn’t enough to give his age away. He still looked like he was in his early thirties.

John eyed her up and down, her beauty incredibly graceful and full of live and love. She still looked at him with love, desire, and admiration after all these years. John tilted his head to the side trying to read her expression as he narrowed in on her licking his lips slowly. Evangeline let her eyes flutter close, she never could resist this man! Even in their most heated arguments over their kids education, up bringing and family trips he was able to get to her and make her stomach flutter with butterflies.

John let his lips kiss hers slowly and seductively as he moved in closer to her wrapping his arms around her lower waist and hips. Evangeline moaned softly as her hands instinctively went into his hair pulling his head down to hers. John groaned feeling her hips softly the tips of his fingers slowly grazing up her shirt and around her hips.

Evangeline broke the kiss tilting her head back as John continued his slow deliberate kisses down her neck, “This won’t make me forget that you’re hiding something from me McBain.”
“That’s not what I’m trying to do.” He said against her ear as he slipped the tip of his tongue into it.
“Liar…” She panted pushing him away. “I have to go.”
“Stay…”
“I have to go…”
“I want to make love to you.”
“John….” She groaned as he pulled her closer and squeezed her but… “Please baby, I have to go.” She laughed.

John finally stopped and looked at her hurt, “Okay…” he said pouting his lower lip sticking out.
Evangeline shook her head and laughed softly as she kissed his lips and then wiped her lipstick from them. “I’ll be home late.”
“I’ll be here with the twins.” He said winking at her.
“I told them they could have the limo tonight. I’m sorry.”
“Hey it’s cool, there is some work I can do with the Institute and getting the one in San Francisco ready for the opening as well.”

She winked at him as she slipped her jacket on, “Sounds like a plan baby…Call me if you need anything.”
“Don’t think I wont. I think I might go with Will to pick up Seanna…I’ve missed that girl.”
“I’m sure she’s missed her daddy too…” She said laughing as they both descended down the stairs.

Rounding the corner they saw Will with his feet up in on the coffee table playing some video game, “Did I not tell you he would be come addicted to that thing.” Evangeline huffed folding her arms over her chest.
“Market research Ma!” He said pausing the game, “Uncle Conner sent it over. The video game division of MI is working on developing a new game, he knew I played so he sent it to me to try out.”
“Well isn’t that nice of Uncle Conner…” Evangeline said kissing Will on the top of his head and ruffling his hair.

He rolled his eyes pushing her hands away and fixed his hair, “Ma!”
“What!”
“You don’t mess with a sixteen year old boy’s hair Van.”
“What?” She asked turning to look at her husband. “You didn’t have a problem with it, when I did it.”
“That’s because you couldn’t control yourself…” he said in a hushed whisper.

Will rolled his eyes in mild disgust, his parents still acted like horny ass teenagers and it was quite disturbing when he would have friends over and the two of them would be chasing each other around like rabbits.

Evangeline blushed at the comment and turned around not knowing how to respond. John popped her on the butt as he turned around and headed into the kitchen, “You’re dad is going with you to pick up Seanna.”
“Cool…” He said nodding his head as he tried to play whatever game it was that Conner sent over.
“Hospital, I have both pagers and my black berry. Please make sure one of you remembers to call me when she gets in. And if you want to, you could stop by the hospital so I could see my baby girl.” She said leaning over the back of the sofa and resting her chin on Will’s shoulder.

“I’ll see what I can do. You better hit it ma’.”
“Bye Will!” She said tussling is hair. Will shot her a heated glare and Evangeline laughed softly to herself as she grabbed her things and headed outside to grab a taxi.

~

Lily rounded the corner of Broadway with her best friend attached to her arm. “I don’t want to do this, I have way too much work to do.” Lily gripped as Sera dragged her along.
“What the hell is your problem, do you ever have any fun.” Sera said stopping in the middle of the sidewalk. Sera Collins was Lily’s best friend. They met at a planetary sleep away camp when they were seven and since have become inseparable. Where ever Lily was there was Sera and where ever Sera was there was Lily.

The petite girl with short cropped brown hair and hazel eyes placed her hands on her hips and narrowed those soft eyes at her best friend. “You’ve been cooped up in that damn lab way too long Lil. I so need to get out! The world isn’t going to discover a new star tonight. They are reserving that right for you!” she said pointing at her.

Lily shook her curly mane and smiled at her best friend. They may be best friends but they were worlds apart. Sera was sent to the planetary camp because her father wanted to expand her horizons and space/planet camp was the first way he thought of. Lily on the other hand had to beg and plead with her parents to let her go to camp.

It was all of John’s influence and fault why now she was obsessed with the planets, space, the stars and the solar system. It was her life and she loved every minute of it. Looking at her friend she reached out and grabbed Sera’s hand and pulled it around her waist, “I know I need to get out but I just need that little push.” She said smiling at her.

“And I’m here to do that for you sweetie. I know you’re dissertation is key right now, but you need a break. Every time I call you’re staring at the stars…”
Lily stopped and turned her head up and smiled, “It’s amazing Sera you don’t seem to get that hun. To know that those stars are glowing and they are hundreds of thousands of light years away and we are just now seeing them glow before us. It’s surreal. It’s like what else haven’t we seen yet because no one was looking up.”

Sera rolled her eyes, Lily was always off on these star tangents and would get lost in them until something snapped her back to her place on the planet. “I want to shake my ass, we can star gaze another time.” She huffed.
Lily laughed softly and grabbed her friend’s extended hand, “So this is the hottest club in town huh?”
“That it is… Some DJ named Double MC has totally rocked the New York under ground scene. You’ll like his music.”

Lily shook her head as the walked up to the line that wrapped around the side of the building, “We’ll never get in…”Lily said pouting and folding her arms over her chest.

They were dressed in their prime clubbing clothes. Lily wore her hair up spirals falling down around her soft mocha face her eyes were highlighted with a gold shimmer eye shadow and her lips were dusted the with a similar bronze color. She wore a cinnamon colored sequined top and a short black skirt with calf high leather boots.

Sera was dressed in a red halter top her hair tucked behind her ears and she had on a leather skirt that complemented her figure. Her leather boots gave her a few extra inches of height that she loved. “Stay put I’ll go get us in…” She quickly dashed out of line and Lily listened as her heels clicked on the concrete sidewalk and the sound of grunts and moans coming from the people in the line flooded her ears. Sera was never one to do things the easy and polite way, one thing she loved about her best friend.

Lily peered around the line of people and laughed softly to herself as she saw Sera walking back with annoyed look on her face, “Let me guess they wouldn’t let you in.”
“No…” She said getting back in line. “Will you try! Please oh Please Lil! I really want to get in there and this dude was totally checking me out but he was at the front of the line.”

“I don’t know…”
“OH come on with you’re exotic looks you can get us in anywhere. Do this for me please, pretty please!” she whined begging at her best friend. Lily looked around at the people in line and cut her eyes from the group of girls that stood in front of them laughing at them.

She rolled her eyes and grabbed Sera’s arm, “I’m only doing this because you’re so overjoyed about this club for some odd reason.”
“It’s because it’s so a hot club and there are some fuckin hot dudes here Lily. You so need to get laid.”

Lily stopped and stared at her shocked, “No you didn’t just say that!”
“What, it’s true and you so freakin know it. Tell me the last time someone was down yander…” she said nodding at Lily’s waist.
“Ohhhh I’m not having this conversation with you!” She said pushing past her and heading to the front door.

Coming around the crowd she froze at the bouncer and the manager that stood in front of the door. “Who’s club is this?” She asked softly as Sera bumped into her.
“I don’t know why?”
“That guy, the manager I know him.”
“Score! Let’s go…”
Lily walked up reluctantly with a smile on her face, “Hey…” She said smiling at him.

The manager of the club dressed in a Valentino black suit with a lilac shirt and deep purple tie smiled at her and pushed the clip board into his bouncer’s chest. “Lily McBain…” he said slowly pulling the velvet rope back and dropping it on the ground, “As I live and breath.”

“Yeah…” She said smiling at him, “It’s good to see you.”
“You too Lily…Sera hey…”
“Do I know you?” Sera said smiling at him.
“It’s me Austin, Austin Manning.”
“Holy shit!” She snapped and Lily elbowed her in the gut. “Dude what the hell happened to you.”
“Nose job and lost about forty pounds.”
“I’d say!” Sera said admiring his new figure, “You look good…”
“Thank you.” He said keeping his eyes locked on Lily’s, “And you look amazing as always.” He said inching closer to her.
“Is my brother in there?”
“DJ Double MC in the house.” He said nodding his head up and down his arms folded over his chest with a wicked grin on his face. “Damn you look good Lil…”
“You said that already.” Sera said staring between the two of them.

“Thank you Austin.”
“It’s my pleasure…” he said taking her hand and kissing the top of it, “You are my guests for the evening, anything you need let them know you know AM…”
“I can do that!” Sera said excited, “So does that like mean we get to go in?”

Austin waved Sera into the club as he held Lily’s attention. He lowered her hand and moved in closer inhaling her soft floral scent, “How is it you changed into this amazing woman?”
“Don’t know…” She whispered softly as she felt his finger tips graze across the back of her hand sending electric currents through her body.

“Well whatever the hell you did let me know. I would love to buy you a drink.”
“Find me…” She said softly. His deep blue eyes peered into her soft blue ones and her stomach fluttered catching her off guard. She swallowed as his hand swept upwards and tucked a lose strand behind her ear, “Let me know Ms. Lily Rose if there is anything I can do for you tonight or any night…”
“Will do.” She nodded as she took a step around him. “Find me…”

“You better bet I will…” He said to himself as he eyed her round behind. The woman was a goddess he always thought so but now with these changes in his own personal health and a boost of confidence he had a shot and she appeared to reciprocate it. He had his devilish smile on his lips as Lily turned around one last time before heading into the club. He was the spitting image of his father now, just way more sexy and dangerous something she always liked about Austin she just never thought he saw her in that way.

The bass was pumping as she walked up to Sera who was getting her hand stamped and already hit on by a guy. The music was incredible to think her little brother who went to Julliard for twelve years was now a DJ at a night club. When her parents told her he dropped out of college at Julliard she rolled her eyes and even called Mikey trying to talk him back into college.

Michael told her it wasn’t for him, that music may be his life but not learning about it. He wanted to create it and make people try and feel what he felt every time he created music, mixed songs and let it blaze through his body. Lily listened to her brother explain why he left Julliard and smiled, he was always doing whatever he wanted whenever he wanted and didn’t care how mom and dad felt about it.

She turned around in the dark club with people her age gyrating their hips and stomachs dipping down low and dancing around the men dressed to the nines. It was incredibly erotic, and she felt her heart thumping a mile a minute. Looking around the club she caught where the DJ booth was and smiled at her brother who looked amazing. She couldn’t make out what he had on or the look on his face, but if she knew Michael McBain he was totally into the music and could careless that she was there.

She felt Sera pull her into the middle of the dance floor and started feeling what her brother was dishing out. Her hands flew in the air as she twisted and turned to the club sounds of the music from her brother’s finger tips pulsated the club like nothing she heard before. He was good, he was damn good and she couldn’t be more proud of her brother than she was right now.

The night continued on the music rocking everyone to their core. Lily grabbed Sera’s hand dragging her off the dance floor and to one of the four bars that lined the two story night club. “God I’m exhausted…” She panted falling against the side of the bar.
“I’m not, and that guy that I saw earlier is still totally into me!” She said smiling and yelling over the blaring music.

Lily laughed and turned ordering a vodka tonic and smiled at the bar tender as she flashed her right hand letting him know she wasn’t to be charged for the drink, “I see you’re taking advantage of my good name.” Austin whispered into her ear, his arm wrapped tightly around her waist.

Lily turned her head and smiled at him, “I am…”
“Want to go some place a little quieter?”
She nodded as Austin grabbed her drink from the bartender and winked at him. He grabbed her hand intertwining her fingers with his, “What about Sera?”
“I’ll have one of the security guards keep an eye on her for you. Stay with me.” He shouted.

She bit her lower lip at his words and lowered her eyes to his soft plump lips. Damn he was fine. Shaking her head she held on tightly to Austin’s hand as he led them through the gyrating crowd and up the back stairs to a private area. Something fluttered even faster in her stomach as the music became softer and he led her down the hallway to a private room.

Austin held the door open for her as Lily walked past and caught his eyes. She froze halfway in the door half way outside of the door. “What are we doing?”
“Catching up, it’s been a while.” He said sipping her drink.
“That’s mine.”
“Technically it’s mine, seeing as you didn’t pay for it.” He smirked.
Lily laughed softly as she took the drink from Austin’s hands and drank it staring him dead in the eyes.

His lips curled slightly at the corners as he watched her lower the glass and draw her tongue over her bottom lip getting the last droplets of her drink. “Shall we.” He said softly. She nodded and followed Austin into the room the back window was pane of two way glass that over looked the club. She looked down and smiled as she felt Austin come behind her placing a hand on her hip as he peered down at the patrons of the club, “Were you having a good time.”
“It’s amazing Austin. You and Mikey have done a great job.”
“It’s all up to MC I have no control over that.”
She turned putting her back against the wall and smiled as she folded her arms across her chest, “MC….” She said laughing and shaking her head.

“That’s what your brother wants to be called. I have to bow to the master’s wishes.”
“God Michael doesn’t need his ego stroked any more than my parents and little brother already do!”
“How are your parents I haven’t seen them since last Christmas.”
“Good, mom’s super busy as usually at the hospital and foundation and dad is creating like crazy and also running the Institute.”
“I heard that he’s opening another one in San Fran.”
“He is…” She said proudly, “Grampa Tom’s idea.”

“That must be exciting.”
“It is…” She said turning around, “Does he ever get a break? We need to talk about this Double MC thing.”
Austin laughed as he sat on the edge of his desk and smiled at her. He admired her figure still overwhelmed at how beautiful she had become. She was the spitting image of her mother and even as a kid he had a crush on Lily.

“So tell me what have you been doing the past few years?”
“Well I’m working on my second Ph.D right now finalizing my dissertation proposal you know.”
“Second Doctorate wow I feel inferior.”
“Don’t when you graduate from college at sixteen it’s easy.” She said winking at him.
“The MENSA queen in my presence.” He said with a fake bow.
Lily reached out and swiped her hand at him, “Stop I’m just like you…”
“So far from the truth babe… So far from the truth. I’m lucky I made it through undergrad!” he laughed.

“I’m sure you’re smarter than you let on.” She said softly staring at him.
He smiled at her and they sat quietly in his office, “Would you care to dance?”
“I would.”
“Good, let’s go…”
“Down there?”
“Uh yeah that’s where the music is.” He said with raised eyebrows, “Plus I can get Michael a break and he can come and say hey…”
“Sounds like a plan Stan.”
He laughed softly and winked at her as they walked to the door and he held it open for her.

~

It was late nearly two when she pushed open the door to the brownstone. Evangeline shook off her coat and hung it up as she walked quietly through the house her eyes changing to the darkness of the room. She ascended the stairs slowly her hand dragging tiredly along the deep wood banister. Her body ached, why she agreed to this late night shift in the ER was beyond her, but it gave her a chance to hone her skills and pick up some new ones as well.

She moved slowly down the hallway and smiled at the soft sounds coming from Seanna’s room. Her little girl was home, and her heart filled with love. Pushing open the door she moved across the carpeted floor the light still shining above her daughters head. It was amazing having her back home. Seanna was so much like Michael and Will was so much like Lily it was surreal. As twins Seanna and Will couldn’t be more different, yet they still loved each other and got each other like no one else in the house.

Sitting on the edge of the bed she ran her hand along her daughters face and hair and leaned forward kissing her forehead. The feeling of having her home so strong she felt her eyes start to sting with tears. She never wanted Seanna to go half way across the country but she was good, hell better than good and she could and never would deny her children the chance to be the best they could be.

Sighing she rubbed her nose against hers and felt Seanna move against her, “Momma?” she asked softly.
“Hey baby…I didn’t mean to wake you.”
“It’s okay…” She said softly her eyes fluttering open, the deep blue staring back at her. What were the odds of having two kids with deep sea blue eyes?

Evangeline grinned seeing those eyes staring up at her, “I’ve missed you.”
“Me too momma….thanks for not changing my room into a yoga studio.”
Evangeline laughed as she sat back and allowed Seanna to sit up, “I would never Seanna… This room is yours and you are always welcome to it, just like Michael and Lily are.”
She smiled and reached to hug her mom tightly. Evangeline ran her hands down her daughter’s hair holding her tightly, “You okay out there all by yourself?”
“I’m not all by myself, but yeah I’m having a lot of fun.” She said happily.

Evangeline nodded and wiped at the lone tear, “What’s wrong momma?”
“Nothing, just happy to have you back home that’s all. Those six months since Christmas have been some of the longest of my life.” She said with a soft laugh.
“Oh don’t make me feel guilty for going ma!”
“I’m not trying to do that and if I was I apologize. You know I want the best for you.”
“I do…”
“Good. Did you have fun with daddy and Will tonight?”
“We did, but is dad okay? He was acting kinda funny.”
“Funny how?”
“I don’t know, he just was really quiet and stuff and when either Will or I asked him what was wrong he changed the subject or just ignored us. He isn’t acting like himself.”
“Yeah I noticed that too… I’m sure it’s nothing.” She said trying to make her daughter feel better about her father’s behavior and also trying to make herself feel better too.

She knew John through and through and something was bothering him, but he wouldn’t say it. Looking out into the hallway she smiled and turned back around, “Get some rest. Grammie Eve and Grampa Tom are coming over for Sunday brunch tomorrow.”
“Kay, night momma…”
“Night Sea!” she said winking and closing the bedroom door.

Evangeline walked down the hallway and saw the bedroom light still on in her bedroom. She shook her head, he was waiting up for her. Walking into the bedroom she closed the door as s he slipped off her jacket and threw it on the sofa next to the bathroom. She looked over at John who was staring up at ceiling and didn’t make any movement to look at her. “Why are you still awake!” she said laughing and heading into the bathroom to wash her face and change into her pajamas.

John didn’t say anything as she walked into the bathroom and quickly washed her face. Coming back out she looked over into the bed and smiled, “McBain I’m talking to you…” She laughed.
Still he said nothing. Evangeline narrowed her eyes as she walked closer to the bed and stared at him.

“John….” She said softly dropping her towel on the floor, “Baby!” she said softer pushing at him. His arm fell dropping a picture of them to the ground and she backed up her hand over her mouth tears streaming down her face.

Dropping to her knees she let out a blood curdling scream that rocked the house. Rocking back and forth her voice grew louder and louder as the tears streamed down her face her vision clouded from them. Crawling over to him she turned his head to her and felt for a pulse, there wasn’t one. Oh god, no… He was gone, he couldn’t be gone not now. They had too much to live for and their kids were way too young to lose their father now.

Holding John’s lifeless body in her arms she rocked him back and forth willing him to come back to her, needing him to make his way back to her and their family. He was too young to be gone from them and not like this, not like this at all. Holding his body she cried hanging onto him overwhelmed from the thought that her life was over, the reason she fought for everything they had was now gone and nothing would bring it back. She would never see those blue eyes staring back at her with love and admiration and that killed her.