Menu
RSS

Site Info
Members: 497
Series: 0
Stories: 263
Chapters: 2316
Word count: 5758652
Authors: 46
Reviews: 2241
Reviewers: 42
Newest Member: james83
 

Guests: 3
Members:

JoVan Videos


Chit-Chat
Boykin
08/24/23 02:31 pm
<a treatment/">Skin Whitening Injections</a> om/]thanks for this blog[/url]
AdmjPonia
07/14/22 05:15 pm
viagra 40 mg <a com/ ">sildenafil citrate australia</a> https://xtyviagrix.com/
WrrChaps
06/19/22 07:40 pm
comparison and contrast essay on the great gatsby <a ersion.com/ ">essay on rainwater harvesting in hindi language</a> .com/



[Reviews - 0] Printer

ePub eBook


This Has been viewed 1196 times



Click here to darken the background



Tapping his fingers on the bar, John sighed and took another sip of his beer. He’d been nursing the same bottle of beer close to an hour, much to the dismay of the bartender. Rubbing the exhaustion out of his eyes, he glanced down at his watch. It was 6:17 and he was supposed to meet his blind date at 7. Why did he let Officer Hansen and his wife set him up in the first place? John sighed deeply and stood up, stretching his legs. Throwing a few bills on the bar, he headed towards the door, already resenting the fact that he’d agreed to this whole thing.


He’d moved to L.A. about 7 months ago to get a fresh start. He didn’t really know anyone on the West Coast, and L.A. seemed like the perfect place for a workaholic cop like him. There was enough crime in this city to keep him preoccupied for the rest of his life. That was how he liked it. He could hide from everything and everybody and just work. But after a couple of months of late nights and no hint of a social life, Officer Tim Hansen’s wife had taken it upon herself to find a woman for the new lieutenant.


She’d already introduced close to half of the officers on the force to women who later became their wives, and was determined to place John on that list. Thinking about how Officer Hansen’s wife had practically stalked him at the station during the past six weeks, John had to laugh. If he’d known that the woman was that persistent, he would’ve agreed to a date the first day to get her off of his back. Officer Hansen certainly had his hands full with that woman and John didn’t envy him one bit.


Pulling up to his apartment building, John ran inside and quickly changed his shirt and shaved a little. Part of him was a little excited about the date. He’d heard from Hansen that she was a lawyer and gorgeous at that. She was from Pennsylvania and had her own practice there. John secretly hoped that this gorgeous lawyer was his Evangeline, but she had left Llanview almost 2 years before he had, and he’d overheard Nora and Layla mentioning something about her being in New York. When he’d first decided to move, he was tempted to go to New York and find her; just to be near her, but decided against it. If she’d found happiness, he wouldn’t interfere.


Seeing that it was almost a quarter to seven, John grabbed his keys and headed over to “The J Spot,” a trendy new sports bar, to meet Officer Hansen, his wife, and his blind date.




------------------------------------





“Hey, McBain! Over here!,” Tim Hansen shouted, after seeing the Lieutenant come in.

John made his way through the crowd and over to the bar, frowning when he didn’t see anyone with Officer Hansen. Noticing the wry look on John’s face, Tim shook his head. “Don’t worry, Lietunant. I’m not your date. Cheryl’s bringing her. They work together a lot down at the courthouse.”

“Yeah,” John replied, ordering a beer.

“I’m telling you McBain, I’m not one to play matchmaker, but I think Cheryl may have gotten it right about you and Angie,” he said smiling.

“Angie?”

“Yeah. Angie Williams, I think. I can’t remember her last name, but who cares! She’s hot. If I wasn’t a married man… well, I probably shouldn’t entertain that thought,” he said, laughing.

“What’s so funny, Tim?”

“Oh, hey honey! Lt., you remember my wife Cheryl.”

“Hi Cheryl,” John replied, slightly turning to face her.

“Hello Lt. You look nice. Angie went to freshen up, but she’ll be back in a minute. I can’t wait for you to meet her! You guys are…”

“Sweetie, you’re getting a little carried away,” Tim laughed, grabbing his wife’s hand.

“Sorry,” she said, blushing. “Here she is now. Lt. John McBain, meet Angie Williams. Angie, this is John McBain,” Cheryl announced, grinning from ear to ear.


John turned around to greet his date, and politely shook her hand. Much to his disappointment, it wasn’t Evangeline. Trying to hide his dismay, he smiled slightly at the tall blonde woman, who winked at him and licked her lips seductively.


“We’ll leave you guys to it,” Tim said, pulling Cheryl behind him. “You guys enjoy your evening.”


Watching them leave, John suddenly turned his attention back to Angie, who had closed the gap between them, leaving barely enough breathing room for John. Leaning over to whisper in his ear, she cooed, “My, don’t you look yummy. What do ya say we skip dinner and go back to my place.”


Taking a step backwards, John chuckled nervously and escorted her to a table, trying to ignore her lustful gaze.


“Why don’t we have dinner first.” He said, helping her into her chair.

“Whatever you want, baby,” she whispered, batting her eyes.


Sighing and rolling his eyes, John took his seat, knowing he was in for a long night.


Throughout the date, the woman prattled on about her likes and dislikes and constantly fished for compliments from him. At one point, she'd even taken off her shoe and tried to slide her foot up his thigh. She didn’t seem too interested in knowing anything about him. Periodically, she’d lick her lips and pout at him, causing John to finally laugh out loud at her attempt to seduce him.


“What’s so funny!,” Angie demanded, frowning.

“It’s just… what… I don’t think that this is gonna work out and I’ve had a pretty long day, so why don’t we call it a night,” John replied, still trying to contain his laughter.

“You bastard! You wouldn’t know a good thing if it slapped you in the face,” she yelled, drawing the attention of some of the other patrons.

“Look…”

“No, you look! Kiss my fabulous ass, you jerk,” she yelled, grabbing her purse and making a beeline for the door.


John blew out a deep breath, relieved that she was gone, and motioned for the waiter to bring the check. Looking over at her plate, he noticed that she’d barely touched the $38 lobster on her plate. He made a mental note to make Hansen and his wife mind their own business in matters of the heart; especially his.


After paying the bill, John glanced at his watch. It was only 9:42pm. He could have sworn that it was later than that. Leaving the restaurant, John walked slowly back to his car and tried to think of a quiet place to have a drink before going back to his cold, dark apartment.


Walking past a small alley, John noticed a dim neon sign that read “Blues Alley.” The place looked pretty deserted, but he could hear a slow jazz melody coming from the door. Deciding to go in, John scanned the place and immediately saw her at the bar. Rubbing his eyes to be sure that the dim lighting wasn’t deceiving him, John walked a bit closer and realized that it was her. It was Evangeline. She was here in L.A. and she was less than three feet from him. Smiling brightly, he came up alongside her.


“Hey,” he said softly, trying to see her face through her long, black mane.

“Hello,” she said, smiling back.

“Sorry, I thought you were someone else,” John apologized, finally seeing that this woman was not his Evangeline.


Forgetting about the drink, John quickly left the club and jumped into his car. Rubbing his face, he sighed. Maybe he should go back to the station. That always kept his mind off of his demons and the loss of Evangeline. Driving back to the station, John decided to take a detour through the Hollywood Hills. He could drive around for a while, go home and sleep for a few hours, and then go back to the station. That’s what he did most nights anyway.


After an hour or so, John drove past a huge white house on a hill that seemed to be having some sort of party. He spotted a woman near the end of the driveway, near the main road, pacing back and forth in front of her car with a cell phone. Pulling his car over to see if she needed help, John couldn’t help but notice her tiny waist and round apple bottom through the thin, cream colored satin gown she was wearing. Swallowing hard, he adjusted himself and crossed the street, approaching the woman, whose back was still turned to him.


Sensing someone behind her, she reached for her mace and spun around, dropping her cell phone.

“John?”

“Evangeline.”

“Hi,” she whispered, laughing lightly.

“Hi,” was all he could say, still not believing that she was here in front of him and even more beautiful than he remembered.


They stood inches away from each other, staring into each other’s eyes. The moonlight made his eyes sparkle and her toasted- honey brown skin shine. Just as John leaned in to kiss her painted red lips, Evangeline suddenly broke their gaze and bent down to pick up her cell phone.


“I’m sorry. Uh… umm… do you need help,” John asked, coming out of his haze.

“Yeah,” she said smiling lightly. “The car won’t start and I can’t seem to get a tow truck this time of night.”

“I’ll take a look at it. If you want me to,” John replied, whispering the last part.

“Thanks, John,” she said nodding her head and scooping some of her hair behind her ear.

Watching him as he looked at the car’s engine, Evangeline smiled. It had been so long since she’d last seen him. She had no idea that he’d left Llanview, or that he was here in L.A.


“Try it again,” he said, after tinkering with the engine.


The engine turned over, but stopped again a few seconds later. They both sighed disappointedly. Just then, it began to thunder and some drops of rain began to fall.


“Oh, no,” moaned Evangeline, getting out of the car.


Closing the hood of her car, John stood up straight and tried to summon up the courage to ask her if she’d be willing to ride with him.


“Umm… you know… I…I… um... could take you home,” he stammered.

“What about my car?”

“I could call a tow truck in the morning, for you,” he said, searching her face with hope filled eyes.


The rain started to pick up.


“Okay,” she said hesitantly.

“Really?,” he asked unbelievingly.

“Yeah. I’ll just get my purse and lock the car,” she said trying to cover her head with her wrap.


Helping her into the car, John said a silent prayer, thanking God for allowing him the chance to be in the right place at the right time and the chance to be near her for even a little while.


Turning on the radio, as they drove, the smooth sound of Sade’s voice came through the speakers.


Humming along to the song, Evangeline smiled, glancing over at him. Catching her eyes for a brief moment, he smiled and to his joy, she smiled back.


“I really appreciate this, John. I’m not too far from here.”

“Anything for you,” he said, barely audibly.

Smiling sweetly, Evangeline hugged herself and stared out the wind at the pouring rain.



--------------------------------------------




“This house, all the way at the end,” she said pointing towards the end of a group of townhouses.

Special news bulletin from the National Weather Service for the Los Angeles metropolitan area: severe thunderstorm warning in effect. Power outages reported to have already affected more than 400,000 people. Major backup on the beltway due to at least three reported accidents and some flooding in low lying areas. For your safety, it is imperative that you stay indoors and away from windows. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.


“Why don’t you come inside, John? At least until the storm lets up a bit?”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. You heard that announcement. It’s not safe to be out on the road right now. Also, I made a sweet potato pie yesterday, and I can’t eat it alone. Well, I could, but I really don’t want to. I’ll make us some coffee to go with it. Hopefully I’ve still got lights.”

“Ok,” John said, trying to hide the smile spreading across his lips.


Coming around to her side, John put his jacket over both of their heads as they raced to the front door. Digging for her keys, Evangeline finally opened the door and John followed, closing and locking the door behind him.


“Yes, we still have lights,” she said flipping on a switch.

“Barely,” he said smiling, as the lights began to flicker.

“I better get the coffee going. Can you throw some of those logs into the fireplace and light it?”

“Sure.”

“Make yourself at home, John,” she called out.

“I already am,” he whispered, watching her disappear into the kitchen.

“John. Take off your shoes and socks if they’re wet. Mama always says, ’all colds start from your head or your feet.’”

John smiled hearing he quote her mother. He always loved how close they were. Looking up, he saw Evangeline coming out of the kitchen carrying the pie and some plates. She had taken off her shoes and drops of rain still clung to her hair, causing it to shine in the firelight. For a second, he swore he’d stopped breathing. Her beauty was arresting. Noticing how John stared at her, she blushed and turned her head, placing the pie and dishes on the coffee table. He always had a way of making her feel like a schoolgirl around him, especially when he stared at her like that. To be desired by him was a powerful thing.


The lights flickered again.


“I hope that coffee finishes before they go out completely,” she said, breaking the silence and joining him on the floor in front of the fireplace.


John said nothing and turned away from her, staring into the fire.

Hearing the coffee pot signal that the coffee was done, Evangeline got up, just as the lights went out completely.

“Just in time, huh?”

John said nothing.


Going back into the kitchen to get coffee, Evangeline looked over her shoulder at John, who just continued to stare into the fire.


Taking her time, trying to feel around the cabinet to find the sugar, Evangeline finally came back from the kitchen and placed the mugs down on the table. Sitting down next to John, who was in the same position, she sat with him in silence.


A few minutes passed before he spoke.


“There’s so much I want to tell you,” he said softly, still gazing into the fire.

“Ok,” she whispered, glancing at him through the corner of her eye.

“Things I’ve never told anybody. I mean, nobody.”

“How far back does it go?”

“Back,” he said, almost in a trance-like state.


Turning to look at her, her grabbed her hands. “I want to tell you so much. But… but… I don’t know how,” he said with tears in his eyes and his voice cracking.


Nodding her head, Evangeline lifted his chin to make him look at her. Cupping his face in her hands, she whispered, “Whatever you tell me, could never make me think any less of you. Yes, you’ve made mistakes. So have I; but you are a good man John McBain. That’s why I fell in love with you. That’s why I still love you. Because I know that every flaw and every mistake you’ve made all came from good intentions. You have a beautiful heart and soul, John. I can see that. I can see you. All of you. And I’m still here. You may not have seen me, but I’m always here, by your side.”


As tears filled his eyes and spilled over, he let go of her hands and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her into his lap. Burying his head in her breasts, she stroked his hair and sang softly to him as she rocked gently.


When did you leave heaven?
How could they let you go?
How's every thing in heaven?
I'd like to know.

Why did you trade heaven?
For all these earthly things?
Where on earth you hide halo ?
Where did you lose your wings?

Have they missed you ?
Can you get back in?
If I kiss you would it be a sin ?
I am only human but you are so divine.
When did you leave heaven angel of mine ?



When she finished singing, she kissed the top of his head and he looked up at her.

“Thank you,” he said smiling lightly.

Shaking her head, Evangeline replied, “No. Thank you”

“You know, my mom used to sing that song to my dad.”

“Really?” she asked, smiling sweetly.

“Yeah. They really loved each other a lot.”


Evangeline said nothing and smiled.


“My dad was a good man,” John began.


Evangeline was a little surprised that he was so straightforward about his father, but she didn’t interrupt. She just held him while he talked and stroked her arm.


They stayed in the same position, sharing their childhood memories, until they both fell asleep.


When Evangeline woke up, she was surrounded by darkness. The fire had burned out and the sun still hadn’t risen. Rolling onto her side, she felt John still holding onto her for dear life. Gently prying his hands away, she got up and leaned over kissing his cheek. Going into her bedroom, she softly closed the door and allowed herself to slide down until she reached the floor. Her body shook with sobs. John had told her so much and she was barely able to control her emotions in front of him. She held her head in her hands and cried for the loss of John’s father, the loss of her father, the loss of John’s childhood, and the amount of precious time she’d lost with the love of her life.


Hearing a light knock, Evangeline stood and tried to dry her eyes as John opened the door. Seeing her face streaked with tears, he pulled her to him and kissed her cheeks.


“I told you it would be too much,” he said, staring into her eyes.

“That’s not why I’m crying, baby. I’m crying because I’m happy. So happy that we can finally put the past behind us and move on. It’s all I’ve ever wanted.”

“You’re all I’ve ever wanted,” he said smiling.

Leading her to the bed, she laid down on top of the covers and John crawled behind her, pulling a blanket over them. Spooning her with one arm wrapped around her waist and the other stroking her hair, he leaned over and whispered in her ear, “I love you.”


Turning to face him, she pulled him to her and guided her tongue into his mouth. Sucking on her tongue, he pushed his need to feel her into her thigh. Cupping her face, he took over the kiss and rolled on top of her, massaging her right breast. Turning her head away, Evangeline smiled at him, gently pushing him off of her.


“We’ve got plenty of time for that, baby. Just hold me right now and sleep with me. Tomorrow’s a brand new day.”

“A brand new beginning for us both,” he said, as they drifted off to sleep in each other’s arms.


THE END? ONLY THE BEGINNING!!!