Menu
RSS

Site Info
Members: 497
Series: 0
Stories: 263
Chapters: 2316
Word count: 5758652
Authors: 46
Reviews: 2241
Reviewers: 42
Newest Member: james83
 

Guests: 2
Members:

JoVan Videos


Chit-Chat
Boykin
08/24/23 02:31 pm
<a treatment/">Skin Whitening Injections</a> om/]thanks for this blog[/url]
AdmjPonia
07/14/22 05:15 pm
viagra 40 mg <a com/ ">sildenafil citrate australia</a> https://xtyviagrix.com/
WrrChaps
06/19/22 07:40 pm
comparison and contrast essay on the great gatsby <a ersion.com/ ">essay on rainwater harvesting in hindi language</a> .com/



[Reviews - 21] Printer Chapter or Story

ePub eBook Chapter or Story


This Has been viewed 2244 times



Click here to darken the background



Chapter 1

The grayish blue Rolls Royce pulled up in front of the police station and sat purring at the curb, gleaming in the morning sun. Police officers and station personnel were heading inside to start their day or end their shift. A few paused at the sound of luxury coming from curbside to see which of Llanview’s wealthy ruling class had to visit the cop shop today. Inside the station someone commented out loud about the very high end vehicle sitting out front.

There weren’t any stringers from the Banner or the Sun around to get a jump on a very newsworthy sighting; no one from the TV station was hanging about either. But the alert and discerning among the watchers knew from the moment the woman stepped out onto the sidewalk that someone special had come to their neck of the woods. Although they couldn’t fathom the reason she was there. Was it her sexy stance as she paused before entering the station? The cool tilt of her head? Something royal about her cheekbones visible behind the sunglasses? All of it combined with the shoes that probably cost as much as the car screamed babe-alert but there weren’t enough men around yet for her to set off a riot.

Stopping in front of Marcie’s desk the woman lightly tapped her fingers on the desk to get Marcie’s attention. “I’m sorry, can I help you?” Marcie asked then gasped, “You’re…you’re…aren’t you?”

“Is Lt. McBain around?” the woman asked in a voice that was the sound of silk being pulled across the skin, ignoring Marcie’s shock and questions she continued, “If not, will he be here soon?”

“He’s on a call, no telling when he’ll return. Would you like to wait?” Marcie squeaked.

The woman looked around the station then back at Marcie, “You’re Michael’s Marcie, aren’t you?” “Yes, sort of.”

“Listen Marcie, I’m beyond jet lagged and it’s taken everything to remember we now live in Llanview, Pennsylvania. Can you give the Lieutenant’s home address? It’s ok, I can assure you, you won’t get into any trouble; you’ve seen my photos I’m sure and Michael can vouch for me. Michael’s mentioned me to you, right?”

“If you’re who I think, yes. Why don’t you know John’s address?” Marcie’s curiosity overcoming the shock of seeing a famous face up close.

“Because when I left this wasn’t where we were living and I’m too wiped to recall where I wrote down the information. I’ve been through all my calendar variations from digital to basic old paper and I can’t find the address or the phone number, I just remembered the town’s name. Can I get that address?” then she took off her sunglasses and smiled at Marcie.

Practically in a trance Marcie complied, “Well, I’m really not allowed, but seeing it’s you, right? I’ll just write it down. That’s not the same as telling you now is it?” she laughed nervously.

“Thanks. I won’t forget this, really. You’re a life saver and a sweetie.” The woman turned and sauntered out the office as the cops and suspects arriving gave her a second then third glance:

“Can’t be, can it?”

“Nah…sure looks like her though.”

“What would she be doing here?”

Preparing to enter the back seat she hands the driver Marcie’s note “Take me here and we’ll call it a long morning and we’ll both get to rest up.” “Yes, ma’am.” The driver replied, tipped his hat to her and closed the door.

She fairly collapsed onto the seat, ‘Just stay awake a bit longer; then you can sleep for days on end. Just hold on.’ she whispered to herself. But she couldn’t resist stretching out on the leather seats as she fought to stay awake and take in her new surroundings passing outside the car’s windows.

She awoke with a start when the driver touched her shoulder, “Didn’t mean to startle you, ma’am. We’re here. The doorman and I will bring up your bags.”

He helped her out of the car as the doorman rushed towards them to help. His eyes grew saucer-size as he took her in up close and just knew it must be her. “Anything I can do for you, ma’am?”

“Yes, let me into the penthouse. I have no clue where my key might be.” “Sure thing.”

Her bags in the bedroom, the chauffeur and doorman tipped and sent away she was finally free to let exhaustion claim her but just one more thing. She flipped open the tiniest yellow cell phone, no need to dial a number or punch in a code; the phone automatically dials to only two numbers, both of them his. “Husband. I’m home and what a home this is. You’ve surprised me again. Don’t rush to me, I know you’re working and I’m utterly wiped. I plan to sleep forever or at least until you wake me with the kisses I crave so much. I love you.”

Four hours later when he had a chance to check his messages his own tiredness fell away when he heard her the silky lilt of her voice and the sultriness of her tone with the hint of laughter peeking through, “Husband. I’m home…” John McBain hastily issued quick orders as he prepared to leave for the joy and relief of sitting by the bed and watching his wife sleep.

John kept reminding himself that it would not look good for Llanview’s top cop to get a speeding ticket. He pulled into the garage, keyed the private elevator and went hurtling to the top floor of Llanview’s poshest residential address.

Making his way to the master bedroom John turned on a light far enough away not to wake her, close enough to give him enough light to really see her. He examined her with his eyes to see how she was. Beautiful. Even with lines of weariness under her eyes; even clad in one of his old FBI t-shirts.

As he watched her eyes opened and met his, a look of gladness chasing away the tiredness, “I so hope this isn’t another damn dream,” she murmured. “Husband?” she asked stretching fully under the sheets.

“No dream. Or maybe the dream starts now. It’s me, Evangeline. Welcome to your new home; our new life.” John said smiling happily if tentatively. He wasn’t at all sure this move would be welcomed by her and that she really could adjust; he only hoped she loved him enough to give it a try.

Evangeline rose up from the bed and put her arms around him, “You feel solid enough. I told you not to rush home. How long have I been out?”

“Like I could stay away. You need at least another full day of sleep; you’ve only slept about six hours so far.”

John’s hold on her waist was growing tighter as he pulled her closer into their hug. They held each other in silence for a long time, just reveling in being able to reach out and be close again.

“I didn’t mean to wake you. I just wanted to look at you. You always wear exhaustion so well.”

In the soft reflection of light she was thrilled by his slow smile and heartbroken at the guilt and pain she saw lurking in the back of his eyes. Well, she was here now and she’d love all the pain away.

“Go back to sleep,” John said, lowering her down and moving off the bed.

“Hey! Come back here. I haven’t used up my hug quotas yet, where are my kisses?”

He was amused that she really was indignant. He went back to the bed and reached out for her again and pulled Evangeline to a kneeling position so his hands could fully roam her body as he held her this time. She pulled him into her clinch and between kisses whispered how much she’d missed him.

“John?” “Yeah?” “When I’m rested and coherent you will explain to me again what we’re doing here right?” Evangeline asked as she pressed light kisses along his neck, “When I left you were FBI, our primary residence was New York, with our beach house in North Carolina and a ranch in Colorado. I come back and apparently you want landlocked Llanview to be our main home. I walked the bedroom’s entire balcony and no water in sight, not even a reflecting pool or a retention pond. I do see a big mountain, big whoop. We must discuss.” Evangeline’s sleepiness was evident in her voice.

“We will, but for now rest, honey, just rest.”

Evangeline drew back slightly out of their embrace and looked into his eyes then drew him into a deep hungry kiss that went on and on, telling each other what this 20 months of separation had cost them.

Leaving her to settle back into sleep John went out on the bedroom’s balcony to make a call, “Bo? John. Listen, I know it’s short notice but I need a few days off right now. Personal…my wife just arrived and….” He glanced back at the bedroom “Yeah, we need some alone time. Thanks, Bo.”

John went back inside took off his clothes and got comfortable with having his wife in their bed and back in his arms.

When John woke up he felt for Evangeline and found nothing. The pain of loneliness threatened to unhinge him. The dream had been especially vivid and real this time. He choked back a sob, reached out and threw the clock radio which shattered against the wall with a satisfying sound.

“What was that?!” came her voice, floating towards him before her wide brown eyes were visible”a startled doe at the bedroom door. “John?”

He was out of bed and had her in his arms in seconds, “Evangeline, I thought…I thought…” “This was still a dream?” he nods, his face buried in her hair, she felt a momentary wetness trickle through the strands then he was kissing her face and neck. “I’m here, John. I’m right here with you.”

She pressed herself into his body and dropped her hands to his waist, pulling him into her, moving languidly against him, enjoying his instant firm response as his erection brushed between her thighs.

His mouth back in her hair he asks, “Tired?” “Yes, a bit still,” she laughs then shivers as his hands explore her, “But think how well we’ll both sleep after we make extra sure neither one of us is dreaming.”

John pulls the t-shirt over her head and kisses his way down her body and starts to kneel in front of her, “No John, I won’t last a minute if you…” her gasp changes to John’s favorite sounds as he takes firm hold of her thighs and parts her legs with his kisses and persistent touch.

Riding on his tongue Evangeline’s fingers are wrapped in his hair alternately trying to push his head away then changing to pushing him further between her legs as his hands grasp her hips to steady her and enjoy that her throat was no longer capable of forming coherent words. John knew she was right; they wouldn’t last much more than a few minutes for the first time. But there would be so many more times now to come…and come…and come with her.

Still eating her John lifted Evangeline and sat her on the edge of the bed, in ecstasy she fell back, her hands clutching the sheets then her arms were reaching out for him. “John, please, I need you inside me!” Putting one knee on the bed John spread Evangeline’s legs and placed them over his shoulders then sank himself inside of her. Neither tried to stem their need to climax as immediately as possible, John’s hands on her waist guided Evangeline’s movements as he pulled partly out of her only to plunge deeper still and thrust vigorously inside of her finally home and on his way to heaven.

Evangeline gloried in the feel of John collapsed on top of her and still firm inside of her. She wrapped her legs around him and drew the last drops of pleasure from him. Thrilled by the guttural moan her movements forced from him she cried, “Stay in me forever, John. Forever.” “My pleasure,” John whispered in her ear.

Evangeline was sitting on the bedroom’s balcony drinking coffee in a splash of autumn sunlight and warmth on her body, a body already calm and radiant from John’s attention to all her needs. Her legs were propped on the railing and the sun’s golden gleam set off her brown skin and she appeared to glow in the light.

John planted a kiss on the top of her head and wrapped one hand in her hair as he reached for her coffee cup, “Share?” he suggested. “I’m sorry, when has Johnny Mac ever shared a cup of joe? No.” Van laughed slapping his hand away. “Get your own. Do you know how long it took me to find the kitchen?”

“I’m just amazed you recognized it for its function when you saw it.” John replied.

“I’m not that spoiled, McBain.”

“Uh-huh. Whatever you say, dear”

When he returned mug in hand leaning forward Van said, “I will share my seat with you.” “That’s too provocative a thought.” he said sitting behind her. They nestled together and sighed in unison. Occasionally she lifted his hand to her mouth and planted fluttering kisses in his palm and on his fingers.

Shifting between his legs she put her cup on the table “Ok, I need answers. Why have you become attached to Llanview? Judging from the reactions at the station no one there knows I’m your wife. Do they even know you’re married?”

“The commissioner knows; Antonio”I mentioned him to you, he knows.” John shrugged and laughed, “Until they see it who’d believe I’m married to you? You’re…you and more, who would even imagine you marrying a cop?”

“Well, that’s another thing John; don’t get me wrong I’m thrilled, thrilled, overjoyed and ecstatic that you’re done with the FBI. I hated your working undercover. I loathed that sub-rodent ex-boss of yours. I swear he gave you the riskiest assignments out of spite.”

“Spite?” John repeated in puzzlement, “Yes. He was intimidated and jealous of you, made worse when we got together and then married.” John felt the vibration of her rage as it made her blood quicken and pulse speed up, “You know when you were shot that time? He waited FOUR days to inform me. Didn’t want me to rush to you and jeopardize the mission!! You were critical those first 48 hours, I could’ve lost you. I nearly strangled him.”

“Is that why he was demoted?” “Yes! I pulled some of my family’s connections. How dare he!” The steady rhythm of John’s breathing calmed her down a bit, “I’d decided once I wrapped up this movie and the pr tour we would have a serious talk about you and the Bureau”but then you quit on your own.”

As he spoke John’s hands shook slightly laced through her fingers, “I told you what went down with the newlyweds in Vegas; then Stephen Haver came out of the mist to torment me again with the music box killings and Natalie Vega got pulled into that too.”

“The horror and guilt engulfed you again, I know.” Van said quietly, “I’m so, so sorry I couldn’t just drop everything and stay with you and see you through all of that. I wasn’t as completely there for you as you needed me to be and I wanted to be. Forgive me. Please.”

John felt a splash of water on the back of his hand “We’ve discussed this. You’re always there for me so I have nothing to forgive.”

“Not true, John, not true. I’m your wife I should have jettisoned everything and to hell with the potential lawsuits for walking off the set. I could feel you drowning in agony. Again.”

“Yeah,” his head rested on top of hers, “But it’s better now; I’m kinda better on my way to being much better now that you’re with me.” He hugged her tightly, “Are you hungry? Should Llanview meet my famous wife?”

“I could eat,” she turned to face him, “something very American, I beg you. But I’m not ready to put on clothes that’ll take extra time to get out of when you want me.”

“God, I’ve missed you. I’ll order in some cheeseburgers and fries.” After ordering they took a tour of the penthouse and stood by the pool, its blue water teasing and inviting them in for a swim.

“Okay McBain, how long have you had this place? Because I know you haven’t actually lived here for more than ten minutes!!”

“What? What do you mean?” he was all innocence with his eyes bluer than blue.

“You abhor penthouses only slightly less than full-blown estates with stables, live-in staff and the works. John, why do we live here?”

“I’ve mellowed, and to prove it I have a short list of potential house staff for you or your assistant to interview.” “House staff? Help?” “No live-in help. If I want to make love in the living room I’m not interested in giving a show.” John said sternly. He cocked his head as the intercom buzzed, after answering he told Evangeline the food had arrived and left to meet the delivery boy before he became hopelessly lost as he stepped off the elevator.

After taking a few wrong turns Van made her way back to the kitchen and searched for the cabinets with dishes and glasses. When John found her he showed her where all the basics were located. After serving up the burgers and John surprising her with the addition of dessert they settled at the kitchen table to eat.

“Back to live-in help and being bashful, you aren’t an exhibitionist but if the desire’s there you’re willing to be indecent. Remember, we’ve made love in elevators. Glass elevators.”

“Hey, I’m the one that stepped us out of the line of the security cam, YOU kept right on undressing me when I showed you that they were rolling tape.”

“The elevator was going up the side of a Manhattan high-rise, aside from helicopters there was no one to see us.” her smile was wicked, “Well, if someone had seen us the photos would’ve long since been sold to the media and splashed around the world, count on it.” Van bunched up her napkin and dabbed at a few drops of ketchup on the edge of John’s mouth, “Again, how long have you lived here and why here?”

John shook his head, “If you tire of the movie and singing business come over to police work. You’re relentless with the Q&A. Look, it’s simple: the security here is top-notch, as soon as I saw how spacious it is, the colors, fireplaces everywhere, and the pool and wraparound balconies I thought you could feel at home here. And Shannon said it was my only hope of convincing you to think about staying in Llanview.”

“Honey, I like my job, I respect and like Bo, my family has moved here one by one”Michael, Shannon, mom, give it a chance?”

Evangeline sat back in her chair and John gave her time to think and process, he went to warm up the pie and check the freezer for ice cream. “Of course I’ll give this a chance John, more than a chance if you’re happy here. But you know it’s tough for me to lower my profile even in a major city among lots of other well known people. And my unwanted family members are out there with Helena lurking in the shadows, always looking for the moment to hurt me, hurt us. You’re protective of me, of us and rightly so. But for the first time in our marriage we’re going to do ongoing day-to-day living together, as a couple. I want you calm not obsessing on my safety. ” Van watched the emotions playing over John’s face”when did he stop trying to hide them from her? And didn’t know whether to worry more about the Cassadines or them finding their way as husband and wife.

By week’s end when John went back to work he felt the ratcheting up of curiosity in the air of the station. Clearly rumors were flying; John had never seen so many people find a reason to hang out around his door. Antonio was waiting in his office when John came back from meeting with the DA, “I hear your Mrs. has arrived and the whole town’s talking about Evangeline Williamson sightings.”

“We haven’t left home so aside from her stop off here to find me, no one has seen my wife except me.”

“The gossip’s going and they say she came looking for you in an ultra-stretch limo.”

“Not true. Evangeline disdains limos and avoids them if she can. She came in a classic Rolls.”

“That’s what I’m talking about”a true diva.” Antonio laughed, “And your appeal for her is what? You are a lucky, lucky man.”

“True enough, more than anyone will ever know. But she’s a true diva meaning it’s all about her talent being so much greater than just about everyone else’s, not about throwing attitude or pitching silly fits. She doesn’t need to, her clarity of vision about herself, our life and her career keeps her grounded.”

“Actually, since you can’t quite make peace with your Santi and Vega sides you should talk to her, she’s been where you are and survived. She’s survived worse, really.”

“Can’t be the same; much less worse.”

No, Antonio, it is much worse and remains awful and insane to this day; she’s lived through a lot but she’s thriving. You’ve heard of the Cassadines?”

“Displaced Russian nobles? Obscene wealth? A never-proven bent for murder in, who is it? The granny?” snorted Antonio “Surely…”

“That woman is NOT your typical grandma. She is lethal and has tried to hurt”kill” Evangeline and her half-sister, Alexis, on more than one occasion. Especially now that Nikolas and Stefan Cassadine want Evangeline to take a more pro-active role in the family business and upholding their royal standard,” John was speaking in much calmer tones than what he felt inside which was a tightening up of all his organs at the thought of Van hurt or so much worse, “She…”

John was suddenly aware of how quiet it was outside his door and moved to open it. Talking to Bo and Nora Evangeline was glistening in snug fitting chocolate-colored suede pants, low boots and a wheat toned cashmere shirt wrapped tightly around her body, setting off her brown skin while flaunting every toned curve. Accenting her neckline was a slight V that promised a tantalizing view if she leaned over. She screamed of a luxurious life, untouched by worry or unhappiness. John recognized her public persona when he saw it. As he and Tonio approached them Antonio touched his arm and gestured to indicate Natalie was entering the squad room.

“Thanks for treating my guy so well. He likes and respects both of you,” Van said ignoring the fallout of her presence on everyone. “I look forward to spending time with both of you and getting to know you.” Then she smiled. John watched as the normally unflappable Bo tried not to drown in Evangeline’s eyes; not to dance in delight at her smile and the music in her voice. John was amused and entertained but liked Bo enough to rescue him from his wife’s undeniable allure and star power. “Honey, work can’t happen with you standing in the middle of my squad room. Come in my office.” John nodded to Bo and Nora, “Care to join us?”

“Uh, no can’t, but thanks.” They managed to sputter.

Evangeline was tempted to engage in public displays of affection to upend whatever views John’s co-workers had about him; and to wipe the smug look of possession off his face as her effect washed over everyone. Instead she settled for John’s hand on her elbow and trying on the role of dutiful cop’s wife.

As they turned towards his office a girl stepped to the side caught up in Evangeline’s glow and powerful hold on John. “Oh, uh, Natalie Buchanan Vega, Evangeline Williamson McBain, my wife.”

“Evangeline McBain will do just fine, nice to meet you at last Natalie. My husband has told me quite a lot about you.”

Natalie was shocked into stillness, she knew John was married but had been confident in her attraction for him. Before Cris had returned from the dead, she’d felt sure John would break away from his wife and start a new life with her in it. She’d been secretly pleased at the thought of him as her fall back position should she ever need one. Hadn’t he stayed in Llanview for her? Now she wasn’t so sure. John was clearly and deeply in love with his wife and his wife couldn’t be dismissed as a non-issue.

“And this is Antonio…” John trailed off.

“Santi Vega,” Tonio finished for him. Pleased to meet you, welcome to Llanview.”

“Nice to meet you, Antonio.” Her smoky voice enveloped him, wrapped him up and left him light-headed. Then she and John were behind closed doors and the squad room inhabitants tried to recover from Evangeline.

“She’s hotter than hot.” “How did McBain?...” “Well, I heard…”

The jumble of voices tried not to carry into John’s office, but no one wanted to move until the door opened again and they caught another glimpse of a goddess in their midst.

John turned to Evangeline, “Thank you. No further work will get done today. You planned this.”

“I was meandering around town learning my way when I looked up and saw Llanview’s finest in a cluster and figured this must be the cop shop. Of course,” laughed Van, “YOU are Llanview’s finest.” She was pleased to watch as John struggled not to blush. “Can’t a woman stop in and say a hello to her hubby? Isn’t that allowed?”

“Come closer and say a proper hello, then,” John said extending his hand to her, “Well, maybe not proper as much as hello…forever.”

Somewhere in their kiss John pressed her against a wall and began to exercise his right to touch her as he really wanted and needed. The intercom’s buzz finally registered on them and Evangeline rested her chin on his shoulder as he turned away from her to answer. She tried to regain some composure but it was useless.

“Come home with me?” she said smiling sweetly up at him.

“I can’t love; I just got back to work. I can’t just go.”

“You’re the Chief of Detectives, of course you can, for a bit? Show me Llanview…from our bedroom.”

Thrilled as he was that she’d called Llanview home his work load was stacked up high. He couldn’t just leave with her. Or could he? Sensing his hesitation and wavering Evangeline was elated at this display of her hold on him. His ability to be single-minded and focused”especially when he used it to seduce and arouse her”was part of his appeal for her; for her to be able to make him consider shirking his duties, well.

“Okay, okay, stay at work. This is starting to feel like a real marriage, I’m put on the backburner by your job. I like it. But come to me at a reasonable hour, alright?” Van sat in his chair and spun around in it and looked at his desk, “Now that you’re not doing cloak and dagger work anymore I want my picture on your desk.”

“An 8x10 glossy? Is that what you’re offering me when I have the real thing to hold in my arms?”

John stopped her chair twirling, his hands on the chair’s arms and his mouth not even inches from hers, she gazed into his eyes counting the shades of blue she found there, her hand went to his lips her touch gossamer light. Her effect making him reconsider her proposal to come home. John closed the miniscule gap between them and enthralled her with his kiss. She jumped when the intercom sounded again.

While he talked she took out a dual frame with two photographs in it from her bag and positioned the frame on John’s desk. Anyone sitting in the side chair would see the diva, flawless, beguiling and perfect. A woman made for the word ‘superstar,’ Evangeline Williamson. But only from John’s chair could anyone see the second photograph of her with her hair up in a haphazard ponytail, skin glowing without make-up and a certain look on her face and in her eyes that only John could bring out; her smile was for him alone and if you looked closely you thought saw him reflected in the depths of her eyes. This was Evangeline McBain.

Half listening to his conversation Van knew it was time to go. She tapped his shoulder and mouthed goodbye. She paused a second before opening the door to mix being his wife into a variation of her public face. After all, these were his co-workers. They should know they were getting a peek of her as a woman, a wife, not just an icon. Van stepped into the squad room and felt the warm blast of abject adoration and worship from strangers fold around her, covering her head to toe. Then John’s hand was lightly on her waist escorting her through and out to her car. The chauffeur opened the door and waited out of listening range.

“Dinner out tonight?” John asked while winding his fingers in her hair. Pressing her cheek to his palm she replies “Lets see how we feel once you get home.” “There was that word again,” John thought, “home. I think we’ll be alright with this move. ”

John vaguely heard the sound of shoes on pavement and followed Van’s eyes as they shifted towards the sound and a look of confusion coupled with delight settled over her face, “RJ? Randall James Gannon, is that you?”

“Princess Heartbreak? The wild and wildly luscious Evangeline in my little hamlet? Surely, I’m dreaming.”

RJ and Evangeline rushed into an embrace laughing together. John felt his ire rising, he instantly disliked RJ’s causal familiarity with his, John’s, wife. When Van stepped out of RJ’s hug John put a possessive and protective arm around her neck and casually draped his hand on the butt of his gun. He and RJ subtly stared each other down; Van felt she could touch the animosity flowing and glanced, worried between them.

“Okay, obviously no need to introduce you two. Why am I not feeling the love?” Evangeline asked sensing the heat of John’s displeasure with RJ.

RJ looked at Van and asked “Why are you in Llanview and what brought you to the police station? Nothing serious, I hope.”

“Long story short: John’s my husband and this is now our home. And if you’re here that means there must be at least one great restaurant in town, a cool jazz place and a hot dance club. I’m encouraged to see Randall James calls Llanview home; at least I’m assured nights of listening and eating pleasure at your establishments. Am I right? And why are you at the police station?”

“Indeed, I do own two hot spots in town and I’m co-owner of a great gallery. I know you love art. My, oh, ‘special friend’ is an Assistant District Attorney; surely your hubby’s mentioned Nora Buchanan to you? Yet he didn’t mention me in the same sentence with her, I’m crushed. Why is that McBain?”

Van saw the blood jumping under John’s skin at the pulse point near his jaw line. It was one of her secret ways of knowing what her husband was feeling when he didn’t want to tell her. “RJ, why don’t you and Nora join me for a meal? I guess it’s too late to call it lunch but I didn’t have much of a chance to speak with Nora when I met her a little while ago. You can give me a quick tour of the town on our way to and from your restaurant.” She turned to John and asked “Can you join us, love?”

John was definitely not happy with her and this turn of events but before he responded RJ planted a quick kiss on Evangeline’s cheek saying, “Great idea, yes! I’m sure Nora can get away I spoke to her earlier and she mentioned she’d be hard-pressed to have lunch at a decent hour. I’ll go get her and we’ll be right back.”

John watched RJ walk away and turned to Van, “So. There’s someone in town you know, you have good memories of RJ from….?”

“Um-hmm.” Van beamed, then dampened down her glow, “Aaah, my time with Jason Morgan, Jas, Sonny Corinthos and RJ had some, uh, business dealings back in the day. We all rolled together, it was when I first met Alexis and the Cassadines before any of us knew we were family.”

“As I recall you were wild and partied very hard with Jason and his…crew.”

“Oh, John, everyone’s past that moment in our lives. It was great while we did it but I’m not interested in recreating or really even revisiting in any significant way any moments in my life which don’t include you.” Evangeline watched as his eyes lost some of their wariness and the happiness returned in shades of cobalt blue. Out of the corner of her eye she saw RJ returning with Nora, “Will you come with us?”

“I can’t, really, but you’ll be fine with Nora.” John turned and greeted Nora and suggested that they all go in the Rolls instead of RJ’s or Nora’s car. As they climbed into the back seat Van pulled him aside, “Don’t worry.” She said kissing his lips lightly.

“No. No worries ever now that we’re back in the same zip code again.” John brushed loose tendrils from her face and longed to really kiss her, he contented himself knowing he would kiss her very thoroughly later when he saw her again. He helped her into the car, watched it pull away then he headed back to work.

“So, you’re married…and to John McBain, how is that even possible in the rational world?” RJ asked. He and Nora were sitting close together across from Evangeline as the car silently sped them away from the police station.

“So, you’re with your bro’s ex, and she’s now an ADA. How is that even possible in the rational world?” said Van, tossing his words right back at him.

“John’s a great guy, RJ. I know you don’t want to believe it but he is. I suspect he and Evangeline feel lucky to have found one another.” Nora had placed a placating hand on RJ’s leg and Van watched the contact mellow RJ right away.

“Ok, I guess I meant how is it that the media didn’t jump all over your news? It appears you didn’t get married yesterday or last week but have been chained, oh, sorry, blissfully wed for more than a bit.” Nora slapped RJ lightly on the arm and cast a “we’ll talk later” look his way.

“Obviously we kept it ultra private. Between Jason, my Cassadine connections and my own clout I’ve cowered any reporter who might have had even an inkling about major changes in my personal life.” Van shrugged and laid her sunglasses on the car’s seat,

“We agreed that our marriage was only about us and should be between us, not shared with the world. And of course, at the time John wasn’t just FBI he was undercover a lot. No way would I allow our relationship, much less marriage, leak out and put him in danger.”

Evangeline settled back in her seat with a happy sigh, “In a way the secrecy has made it a fabulously endless honeymoon. Meeting up in exotic locales, in private honeymoon suites, black-sand beaches, always alone together.” her smile broadened, “I have no complaints about keeping this from our sorta nearest and dearest.”

RJ’s eyebrows were up, “McBain knows about your time with Jason?”

“Yes, of course, it was all so long ago”but John needed to know what my life has been. We have no real secrets from each other; at least nothing that could seriously mess with our relationship.”

“What was he, your bodyguard?”

Rolling her eyes Van laughed, “No, not that clichéd. We met in the best, most time-honored way to ensure a man treats you right”his mother introduced us. She was singing backup on a few songs on that jazz cd I did, plus working with me on a movie soundtrack. Eve, John’s mom is a really good singer.”

“Yes she is, RJ had her perform at his supper club, Capricorn.”

“Really? I didn’t know that was your club; Eve mentioned the gig but somehow your name didn’t come up.”

“That’s because even though I gave his mother work, your man just wants to sweat me.”

“Tell us more,” Nora prompted, “about you and John meeting.”

“We were recording up in Victoria, BC because I was shooting a movie in Canada. John flew up to see her and came to pick her up after a session went especially late. Eve introduced us.” RJ and Nora were both struck by the sparkle in Van’s eyes and warmth that came over her face as she remembered.

“One late night John showed up and before I knew it we all went out to dinner”everyone working the session. We found this great little place to eat, talk and blow some riffs. When John and I looked around we were alone and the wait staff was trying to close down, it was 7 a.m.!! He picked Eve up or dropped or her off for the next month and we would go out and have the longest cups of coffee. A few months later Eve was playing a club in San Francisco and I was staying at a place I have in the Bay area. I went to hear her and there was John. We left before the last set, walked the streets talking, laughing and ended up at my place and well…we never looked back.”

“But he’s a former Fed, FBI, and he’s still in the serve and protect mode. Maybe he was just trying to get information on Jason and Sonny through you. Everyone knows Morgan still has a very soft spot in his heart for you.”

“Pay attention RJ, his mother worked with me, I knew from the start what John’s job was and he was never assigned to Port Charles. When we got close I told him about Jason, how we got together, why we stayed together and that we’ll always be tight. Just as I’ll never betray John’s trust and spill his secret confidences; I’ll never betray Jason’s either. John knew from the beginning he had to accept that part of my life and not dwell on it if we wanted to have a future.” Van shook her head and added, “Not that I would ever willingly allow John and Jason to breathe the same air space if I can possibly avoid it until the day we die.”

“Well,” shrugged RJ, “You’re nothing if not a creature of habit. Dare I say you’re getting predictable?”

“What?!! Predictable, me? How?”

“Van, they have the same initials! JM, and from what I’ve seen of John they’re both the same type of men totally still and quiet, icy, closed off.” RJ started laughing, “I never had a chance with you, wrong initials. No, you really don’t want John, Jason and good Lord, Sonny, to ever have to mix and mingle.”

“Realistically though, it can’t be avoided forever. Sonny and Alexis have a daughter and they’re working hard on getting together as a real couple so Kristina has a real family and home, with all the love and warmth Alexis and Sonny never had in their lives. Alexis is my half-sister, and our mutual step-monster wishes us both a long, tortuous and tormented ride to death’s door! John’s well aware of the threat Helena poses.”

Shaking her head and hugging herself Van said “Enough gloom and doom tell me about you, RJ, you and Nora.”

“You’ll get a laugh out of this because I’m a father, although Keri, my daughter is now deceased. But she left me Jamie, my granddaughter, and the light of my life along with Nora. Nora was married to Bo and they have a son, Matthew that Bo only recently found out was his. Long story, involves my gallery partner, Lindsey.” Nora sneered at the mention of Lindsey and RJ took her hand, “I’m suing for custody of my granddaughter from that useless BOY, Antonio Vega and I’ll win even though Nora wants me to compromise. We are an American family.”

“I’ll give you the back story while we eat,” Nora said, “We’re just a little Peyton Place and you’ll need a chart to keep all the relationships clear in your mind. In a nutshell: when you and John throw a dinner party don’t sit RJ next to Antonio, or Bo and Eve, me next to Lindsey, Daniel, the DA, next to Asa, Bo or John, Rex and Jen next to Riley and Shannon, Cris next to John, Jessica near Antonio or her bother Kevin, Dorian near Viki, Kevin near Kelly”his ex-wife, Todd and Blair next to anybody, well the list goes on. I’ll draw a diagram while we munch!”

Eager to know more about the people and places John lived around and dealt with during the nearly two years they were apart, Evangeline picked up the car phone telling the driver to step on it so they could get seated and she could dish with Nora and RJ. Van was sure between their two very different perspectives she would end up with a well-rounded overview of John’s life in Llanview.