Menu
RSS

Site Info
Members: 497
Series: 0
Stories: 263
Chapters: 2316
Word count: 5758652
Authors: 46
Reviews: 2241
Reviewers: 42
Newest Member: james83
 

Guests: 1
Members:

JoVan Videos


Chit-Chat
Boykin
08/24/23 02:31 pm
<a treatment/">Skin Whitening Injections</a> om/]thanks for this blog[/url]
AdmjPonia
07/14/22 05:15 pm
viagra 40 mg <a com/ ">sildenafil citrate australia</a> https://xtyviagrix.com/
WrrChaps
06/19/22 07:40 pm
comparison and contrast essay on the great gatsby <a ersion.com/ ">essay on rainwater harvesting in hindi language</a> .com/



[Reviews - 1] Printer

ePub eBook


This Has been viewed 1991 times



Click here to darken the background






My name is Hugh Hughes, no joke. My mom had a funny sense of humor and she named me after my last name. Oh yeah had an Uncle Hugh, but he was lost in the Gulf War. Just a little history, background you know. I have some money but don’t like to brag, it was an inheritance/trust fund, and I get the whole thing on my thirtieth, no strings.

I like beautiful, intelligent short, tall women, hell I take them in all sizes, and I love women. No I’m not a womanizer, I’m a connoisseur of women, I like the feel of them, the scent of them, I just enjoy. Llanveiw what do I think of it; quaint the people seem really nice, well minus the criminal element. Being the new ADA in town wasn’t daunting, coming from the law firm of Walton and Fishburn wasn’t daunting even though it was the top law firm in New York City, but I desired something less on the national radar, yes I wanted to make a name for my self, but I wanted it to be in criminal law. It was easy to decide to be prosecutor, more of that later. I like good food, exercise, and a really good play just to forget all the real ugliness in the world. I’m not a complicated man, though some would say I’m hard to read, I’m not. Right is right and wrong is not always wrong.

Today I go up against the formidable defense attorney Evangeline Williamson, not bad for the new man in town. Yes, I’ve had the pleasure of holding the counselor in a few dances at Capricorn but legal fencing well that is a challenge, focusing on the verbal sparring and not on those legs that seem to go on forever. Yes, if I can win this one, I may just get that dinner we bet, and have her company either was is a bonus.


Llanview Court House Room 202B

Evangeline was waiting for the judge to render his verdict, she had argued long and hard, but she had the good fortune to have the cops make a pivotal mistake. Yes they got the items, which matched the description of the stolen items, and her client was clearly guilty, although he didn’t admit it. The police got the warrant, but unfortunately for the house next to her clients. It was such a little thing but she was one meticulous lawyer and she caught it. Her client was seventeen and had never been in trouble before, and swore if he beat this he would turn over a new leaf. Usually she didn’t quite believe this type of protestation, but something about Marcus Brown, made her believe. So she fought for his chance and hers to believe in the innate goodness of man. Yes men…young men veered off the path of law order, but if she could help him come back with a record clean, and he followed through then her job was well down. The entered and Evangeline felt the usual feeling of butterflies fluttering in her stomach, every verdict was heart stopping and you either win or lose. She hoped she would win. Her client rose, and she with him prepared for the verdict. Evangeline glanced over at ADA Hughes and noticed he showed absolutely no expression. Meticulously groomed, glasses in place, he looked every inch the winner. Even after the judge rendered his verdict, he still looked like he had one, a glint was in his eyes and she couldn’t understand why. After all he lost. Her client Marcus hugged her, and told her she wouldn’t be disappointed, he was packing up his things, as was she, he took his closed up briefcase and approached her table.

“Congratulations counselor, you did a great job.” Hugh commented.

“Thank, then why do you look so pleased, I won and you lost.”

“You forgot?”

“Forgot what?”

“Our bet, and from my side of the courtroom I won even if I lost.”

“The winner gets a free dinner, and at the place of choice, that would be me?”

“Yes. I get to take the sexiest lawyer in town to her place of choice, and that qualifies me as the winner, he said with a smile pushing his glasses up, even though they weren’t falling.”

“I intend for it to be an expensive dinner.”

“Good, what time and where do you want to go?”

“Country Club, seven o’clock, and you can pick me up.’

“Pick you up, well I would need your address.”

“Evangeline reached in her purse, and pulled out a card, my address is on the back, remember I said prompt. I can’t stand to be kept waiting.” She tempered her response with a sexy wink. Then secured her briefcase to leave the courtroom.

“I can’t stand to keep a lady waiting, see you at seven. He nodded and waited for her to precede him and they left together.


“Nora I won.”

“No kidding, how many does that make so far?”

“One for Hughes, and two for me.”

“Don’t you two get tired of competing?”

“No, and the dinners so far have been great.”

“Evangeline betting on cases is a tad unorthodox, not that I’m complaining Hughes works really hard to win, and I’m his boss and I don’t have a problem with that.”

“Good. Country Club this time.”

“Making him dig deep, I like it.” Nora said smiling and putting the last signature required for some new purchases the District Attorney’s office needed to stay running.

“Well I thought about the Palace, but you know how I adore the Country Club. I checked Hugh just became a member.”

“Well enjoy, but Evangeline you sure this is just about a little friendly competition or am I looking at my employee becoming something more to my best friend?”

“Hugh, please he isn’t even interested in me like that.”

“Okay, you happen to be a beautiful, bright, compassionate and smart woman, and he’s not what?”

“Look I would know, I can tell when someone is interested, he’s not.”

“You go with that, Nora said smiling. She placed her briefcase on her desk and filled it with papers she had to review later in the evening.”

“Nora I would know.”

“Fine, but I’ve seen him look at you, and trust me he wants more than dinner.”

Evangeline laughed, “You got time for yoga lesson tomorrow, you could use more focus.’ Evangeline decided to switch the subject; she didn’t want to delve into this too deeply.

“No, not unless you promise to have some chocolate after, it helps me forget that I have to breath correctly.”

”Funny. Chocolate I have. Come by after work tomorrow. I promise once you get the hang of it, you will thank me.”

“I’ll probably won’t but you hold on to that thought.” They left laughing and talking. Evangeline thinking of what she was going to wear, and Nora, that her best friend was in denial. Nora has seen Evangeline pull her self together after her relationship with John went south, and she had taken it day by day. Although men had tried she had put up a shield, the only man she saw who seemed even close to breaking through was ADA Hughes, she hoped he was careful. Despite her progress, Evangeline was still gun shy.


Evangeline’s Penthouse


It was exactly seven and Evangeline was ready, she had chosen a pink halter dress which hugged her figure, the color complemented her complexion given her skin an iridescent glow. Her hair was pulled off and she had chosen some sating sandals, which matched the color of her dress perfectly. She wore a simple coral necklace her sister Layla had given to her for her birthday and went to let Hugh in promptly at seven.


“Hi, I just have to get a shawl from my room, have a seat. If you want something to drink the bar is open. She pointed to it before leaving to get her pearl shawl.

Hugh nodded and couldn’t believe how good it felt to be in the domain, He had only lost his second case against her. The dinner he and she went on before were all I’ll meet you. This time was different, he didn’t know how until much later.

Evangeline came back minutes later, “You sure you don’t want some wine, or something a little stronger?”

“No I’m driving, the strongest thing I’ll drink is coffee. You ready?

“Yes, and hungry.”

“Good. Let’s go.” Hugh opened the door and waited for her to precede him so he could get a good view or her back, which was as beautiful as he imagined. He stepped away as she locked the door and put the key in her little pearl bag. They went to his car, which was convertible Mercedes and headed toward the Country Club.

Country Club

The hostess approached the waiting couple, who looked striking, him in his dark blue suit with a cobalt tie that enhanced the color of the suit. His companion Ms. Williamson was elegant in an ensemble that showcased her striking figure and complemented her skin tones. “Right this way Mr. Hughes, the private dinning room has been prepared.”

They were shown to a private dining room, with a beautiful laid table, and violinist playing Brahms with expert precision.

Evangeline looked at Hugh questioningly, “Evangeline you deserve the best, tonight let me show you how I treat beautiful and accomplished women, you in particular.”

“I’m just surprised, I thought this was going to be a quiet dinner, not one that appears to have romantic undertones.”

“If you would prefer we could join everyone else, he inquired.”

“No. This is nice, thank you. I haven’t had anyone make me feel special in awhile.”

“You are special. Hugh said sincerely.” He couldn’t understand how she could have even had voiced such an opinion. She was a jewel. Not only brilliant in her profession, but he knew for a fact that she had more compassion than he could ever hope to have. He was somewhat cynical about human behavior, but not Evangeline. She still exhibited faith in her fellow man, maybe that’s why she chose to defend rather than prosecute. Yes, he knew some of her clients were beyond the pale, but even they deserved quality legal representation. He remembered looking at the court docket and noted that Evangeline had more pro bono cases than any lawyer in town, she didn’t brag she just did her part to balance out the injustice in the world.

Evangeline was just finishing up her steak, which was delicious or so she told him, “So how many more losses do you think you handle Hugh?”

“I win either way, Evangeline. Dinner with you is a pleasure. Although I think we can switch it up and maybe shoot for lunch next time.”

“Lunch, now that would be different but we should make it a little more interesting.”

“How?”

“How about lunch in New York, and a afternoon matinee?”

“So I’m rating a date out of town, and a movie. I think I need to work harder.” He said with a smile.

“Perhaps, I’ve been having fun. I didn’t think I would but you are constantly surprising me Hugh.”

“Good, now tell me what hurt you so bad, that a sad look comes over your countenance?”

“We agreed, no past.”

“Yes, but every one has a past, and it affects what they do and don’t.”

“Hugh I don’t examine my feelings…well not with someone I barely know.” She looked at this man, an opponent and seemingly and admirer if his eyes were any judge as to his feelings and shook her head.”

Hugh saw her examining him, and chose not to hide his admiration or interest, he had good instincts about people, and prided him self on his ability to read others, he took a calculated risk, “Evangeline, I want to know you better, not as a opponent, colleague, but as a woman.”

“I don’t know if I can allow that.” Evangeline responded.

“How do you know if you don’t give it a shot, all I’m asking is for a chance, lunch, dinner and maybe breakfast one day? Can you just give the possibility of something for the two of us?”

“Hugh I’ve been hurt, I’m not going to lie. I don’t know if I can open up to you or any man again. I did before and it didn’t turn out well at all.” She said looking him directly in the eye, and watching him begin to process she thought the possibility of their being no more for them than this.

“I know that you are a beautiful inside and out, and I want a chance to know the woman. To have fun, go out and see if there is an opportunity for more with us, I want to find out.” He said.

“Hugh there are a million reasons for me to say no, and a couple for me to say yes.”

“I’ll take the couple. If you’ve been hurt, then I understand. I don’t want to push or make you feel uncomfortable with me. I don’t want you to think that this is all I want. With you I see the possibility for so much more, but it depends on you. How about we date, and if you feel like you can have more with me will you tell me? I won’t pressure you, but I do want to find out and discover you, and have you find out more about me, I promise I won’t disappoint.”

“You can’t promise that, relationships are fraught with emotional pitfalls and differences each of us may have which may prevent either of us from going deeper. I’ve loved, and it failed. I don’t know how much you’ve heard, but I did have a relationship I gave a great deal of my heart and soul. I’m still recovering.”

“I respect that. I don’t mean to say that we will have anything deep and profound, although I hope we do. I remember when I first saw you. It was in McBain’s office, he paused thinking back for a minute to that time, “I saw the legs first they seemed to go on forever, and I thought, what a beautiful sight a man could get used to seeing those legs morning noon and night. Then my eyes traveled and met yours and something broke inside, he said placing his hand over his heart, “first sight, I thought people were crazy when they said that. You know I just knew when I saw the one. Well that morning I did. I want a chance to see if my heart was right.” Hugh told her, taking her hand in his.

“Hugh I didn’t know. I don’t know what to say. I need to think, and I would be lying if I said I don’t find you attractive, but we know so little about each other, and I’m still reeling from my relationship with McBain.”

“Then you still need time to heal is that what you’re saying?”

Evangeline paused and got up and walked over to the stand where the flower and their fragrance and lent her moment of calm, she ran her hand through her hair as she did when she thought of things which brought forth her emotions. She was being told by and intelligent, and thoughtful man that he found her desirable, for something deeper than just dinner. She hadn’t given any thought to her future, she had for so long been dealing with her past and present. She didn’t think beyond the moment. That was not who she was. Her life well …had been planned until a moment of chance, and happenstance. Did she regret giving her heart? No. It made her who she was now much stronger, more in touch with her heart and what it desired, beyond her career. She wanted a man to love and be loved by, and it hadn’t worked for her before, but what if it was just the first step in her journey to find the love of her life. Could it be Hugh? If she didn’t open up to him now then the answer would be no. If she gave this a shot maybe she would find something that would surpass what she had, not the same, love with another never is, but what if? Evangeline turned around and found Hugh standing his arms folded waiting for her.

“I’m flattered, my ego has taken a beating. I thought if you loved someone hard enough, strong enough, it would come back to you. I was wrong. Either a person loves you or they don’t. Some know their heart instantly with others it takes time. I do want to take a chance, but I want it to be slow, for me. If you can agree to that then we’ll give this… us a shot.” She looked at him and waited for his answer, she breathed, not expecting his response to be so demonstrative.

Hugh walked to her and ran his finger over her lips, down her jaw line and whispered, “I’m honored Evangeline, that you would give us a chance. I’ll take my lead from you, but here is a little expression of my need, desire and my hope. He brought his head toward hers and met her lips with his. He had never felt her lips before, they were smooth like cream and soft, never had he felt such satin which seemed to meld and give him such peace, and desire and hope for so much more. He felt her lean in and move her arm to bring his head closer and the kiss deepened. Evangeline felt as if her soul opened and her heart unfolded from some of the pain. Much like a balm of oil was poured over her soul, she felt her self-fall into his embrace, and wanted the kiss to go on and on. Finally they broke apart for air a chance to breathe, they both had smiles.

“So we get to take it slow, but slow with lips like yours is going to be the hardest job I’ve ever had.’ Hugh said resting his hands on her tiny waist.

“Yes, but slow is all I can do, she said, and rested her head on his shoulder.”

”Then it will have to be enough for now, Hugh said holding her close, never wanting to be anywhere but right here in her arms, it felt more right than wrong.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Later after Hugh had dropped her off home Evangeline got ready for bed, and tracing her lips, and remembering the embers of the kiss she and Hugh had shared. She went and got out an old shoebox, and found the picture of her and John taken it seemed a century ago. She took it out of the frame and placed it in the box, she saw the string he had placed on her wrist and the stubs from the football game, and suddenly it didn’t hurt so much. John was her past, and finally she felt like she could move on. She hadn’t thought about finding a man, who could love her, and she didn’t know for a fact it was Hugh, but she wasn’t going to hide anymore from life or love, she embraced it before and it gave her immeasurable pleasure. Yes she was hurt, but that too was a part of loving. She now knew she was capable of a great love, and she would be grateful for the time she had with John, because she had known love, not returned but given. She tied up the shoebox and placed it in the closet, and returned to her bed and lay down, and thought back to her childhood. When she was little she had given her heart to her father, and never had she felt his full acceptance of her is she succeeded he was proud, but never had she felt love. Now she was finding that a man saw her, and desired her, and she didn’t have to fight for it, work to keep it maybe, but not to claim it. Evangeline believed Hugh, he wanted something more with her, and she was going to find out what that could mean, time to let the past go and embrace the future, maybe it would be fraught with challenges, but that only made her want it more, nothing easy was worth having, and love well she knew she wanted it, and was now willing to find it again. It was time to let someone new in, and to find love again, she fell off to sleep for the first time in a while heart free, and slept a dreamless sleep, with a smile on her lips.

The End